PDA

View Full Version : outsiders in my router

kippykinkel
Thu, 07-20-2006, 09:12 PM
if someone had my ip address and entered it into the browser (http://"ip address"), could they gain access to my router if i havnt changed its password from the default?

Deadfire
Thu, 07-20-2006, 09:24 PM
No they can't

They can only access the settings of the router if they are on your network and typing in the rounter address...

as in 192.168.1.1

complich8
Thu, 07-20-2006, 09:27 PM
You should change your password from the default, especially if it's got wireless support. Default passwords are a bad idea to leave intact, unless you can be absolutely confident that nobody's ever going to have a chance to change it out from under you.

But no, most routers don't expose the management interface to the outside, unless you specifically tell them to.

IFHTT
Thu, 07-20-2006, 09:29 PM
You should change your password from the default, especially if it's got wireless support. Default passwords are a bad idea to leave intact, unless you can be absolutely confident that nobody's ever going to have a chance to change it out from under you.

But no, most routers don't expose the management interface to the outside, unless you specifically tell them to.

It's especially a good idea to change the password since a lot of consumer grade routers use a blank pass as default.