PDA

View Full Version : Movie: Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest

ChaosK
Fri, 07-07-2006, 03:05 PM
So, did anybody go see this movie yet? If it's anything like the first I think it'll be a great movie, however I haven't gotten a chance to see it yet, so I'm wondering what some of you who have seen it think. (Jack being half fish or something seems kinda weird too)

Lefty
Fri, 07-07-2006, 03:11 PM
It's great, better than the first IMO. Go see it as soon as you can.

kooshi
Fri, 07-07-2006, 06:08 PM
Better than the first?! PotC is my all-time favorite movie (watched it around 4 times the day I bought the DVD, haha), but having the sequel top it...... oh, man, I am way too excited now!

msmush
Fri, 07-07-2006, 09:12 PM
YAY im seeing it this saturday for my bdayy!!!!.
you cant be serious its better then the first?!?!? Thats awesome!!! i'll get back to you about it.
kooshi!- loll i watched it heaps when i got the dvd too!!! :D

gr3atfull
Fri, 07-07-2006, 10:03 PM
This is one of the best movie I ever saw. It is much better than the first one which I loved. Those of you who havent seen it , well go see it!

Johnny Depp... Oh my God! He is so hot in that movie!!!!!! I just love how he acts. One talented actor. He should definatly win an Oscar.

Rate: 5 stars

xDarkMaster
Sat, 07-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Awesome movie. I don't remember the first too well but this movie was great. Funny as hell, and had a lot of action.

SEE IT!

Lucifus
Sat, 07-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Damn, better than the first? Potc is like one of my all time favorite movies.

I was planning on waiting until the DVD was out, but I might just go out and see it. Got nothin better to do. Despite the fact Johnny Deep acts a bit gay in the movie.....hes pretty kool....

And that just came out wrong....

Edit: Oh yea, Its saturday Ms. Happy Bday? =P Or is it next Sat.

Knives122
Sat, 07-08-2006, 11:40 AM
He acts like Keith Richards.......which I guess is kinda gay.

But there's a suprise at the end of the movie ;)

Genma
Sat, 07-08-2006, 12:10 PM
KEITH RICHARDS IS NOT GAY. NEVER EVER SAY THAT AGAIN.

Anyway... as for the movie, I guess it was all right. I actually have the first one on DVD but I've only watched it once. The fight scenes were cool, but the people in the theater weren't. There were absolutely no seats so we had to sit in the front, and had to listen to the crazed PoTC fans clap when the movie started, and about at every point Johnny Depp showed up.

I especially liked how big the women's breasteses were from the front row.

I personally thought the first movie was better, but maybe that's because I didn't have to deal with PoTC fangirls and boys clapping and whistling and being annoying. Overall a decent movie in my view... good computer animation and fight scenes, decent storyline, etc. Worth the $8.50 I spent to watch it.

woofcat
Sun, 07-09-2006, 11:10 AM
for the people who download movies.
Pirates.Of.The.Carribean.The.Dead.Mans.Chest.iNTER NAL.CAM.HYdRO was released

Screenshots
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8083/pirate110cv.jpg
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/8025/pirate212ka.jpg

Lucifus
Sun, 07-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Saw a sample video of the Hydro version. I'm definatly waiting for the DVD or go out n watch it. Quality was just too bad. It would ruin the PotC experience.:( :rolleyes:

Edit: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060709/ap_en_mo/box_office

Damn nice...I'm go see it tonight.

ChaosK
Sun, 07-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Just came back from seeing it. I loved it except I'm not too sure of it being better than the first, however it is definetly a movie worth seeing. In my eyes, the 1st might be just a tiny bit over the 2nd, of course I say this because I wanted more at the end of the movie after seeing Barbosa's appearence (which I predicted). That ending was pretty much an invitation with a threatening deathnote demanding you go see the 3rd movie...which of course I will be doing. However, I didn't have to deal with crazy PotC fans screaming everytime

Davy Jones....ugh. That was a weird sight indeed. Jack leaping into the cracka? (how was it pronounced?) was possibly the most badass scene in the movie. But I forget the fate Barbosa faced at the end of the 1st...however I believe he was shot, after becoming human or something like that....now how does one escape death like that? Of course, probably the same way Sparrow escaped marooned on an island and how he will escape the cracka....(oh you know he's going to.)

zibo
Sun, 07-09-2006, 07:25 PM
I guess we'll find out in 3rd part. btw I have read somewhere on the net that in 3rd movie Jacks father is going to appear.

Knives122
Sun, 07-09-2006, 08:00 PM
that's a rumor. But if it does happen his father will be Keith Richards.

Lefty
Mon, 07-10-2006, 01:52 AM
Keith dropped out of the film due to schedualing conflicts.

Assertn
Mon, 07-10-2006, 03:13 AM
Jack leaping into the cracka? (how was it pronounced?) was possibly the most badass scene in the movie.

I believe it's spelled "kraken"
cracka, lol.....

Jack being flamboyant as usual.
I'm still kinda confused though......why did he prefer not to destroy the heart? Wouldn't he also be free from davy jones if he just destroyed it?

Knives122
Mon, 07-10-2006, 08:02 AM
Jack said something about Davey Jones being the only one who can "call the beastie off"

If Davey's dead, then it would still be hunting Jack.

ChaosK
Mon, 07-10-2006, 12:53 PM
I believe it's spelled "kraken"
cracka, lol.....

Jack being flamboyant as usual.
I'm still kinda confused though......why did he prefer not to destroy the heart? Wouldn't he also be free from davy jones if he just destroyed it?

In that case I stand corrected (white guys get off my back).

Davy Jones had control of the seas, whoever held the heart, could blackmail Davy Jones into doing whatever he/she wants. Will wanted to free his father, thus wished to destroy it. If Jack held the heart in his hands, he could've easily made Davy Jones free him, and had Davy Jones do more for him.

kooshi
Mon, 07-10-2006, 10:59 PM
I thought this was movie was just as good as the first, not better (to each his own). It was damn funny, had an interesting story, and made some great references to the first movie. Maybe Johnny Depp will get another Oscar nomination for this movie? I was really surprised he got a nomination for the first movie.
I think I can speak for the majority of the people about the dice game (forgot the name of the game). I was so freaking confused on what was going on, but after researching a bit on it, it made so much sense. Still, it would've been better if they chose an easier game to understand or one that is extremely well-known.

My favorite quote :)
Elizabeth: "There will come a moment where you have a chance to do the right thing."
Sparrow: "Yes, I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by."

ChaosK
Mon, 07-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Another funny one was

Will: We'll need all of us to work the ship!
CrewMember: Actually we only need about 6....
Crewmember: Uh-oh...
Will: PULL!!!

kooshi
Tue, 07-11-2006, 03:03 AM
Haha, you gotta LOVE the hilarious quotes they threw in there.

Davy Jones: But I wonder, Sparrow, can you live with this? Can you condemn an innocent man, a friend, to a lifetime of servitude, in your name, while you roam free?
Sparrow: Yep! I'm good with it!

Sparrow: I've got a jar of dirt! I've got a jar of dirt!

Gibbs: We don't have enough gunpowder!
Will: Then use the rum!
*All the pirates look at each other in silence*
Gibbs: .................................................. ................................ Use the rum!

Mr Squiggles
Tue, 07-11-2006, 03:32 AM
^ Yeah, those were definetly some of my favorite scenes of the movie :)

ChaosK
Tue, 07-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Elizabeth: You're a good man Jack
Jack: All evidence points to the contrary....

gr3atfull
Tue, 07-11-2006, 06:37 PM
1.Captain Sparrow: Is this a dream?
'Bootstrap' Bill Turner: No, no, it is not a dream.
Captain Sparrow: 'Cause if this were a dream... there'd be rum.
'Bootstrap' Bill Turner hands him a bottle of rum.

2.Elizabeth Swann: I'm here to find the man I love!
Captain Sparrow: I'm sorry lad, but my one and only love is the sea!

ChaosK
Tue, 07-11-2006, 11:43 PM
Lord: That a certain pirate, Jack Sparrow
Elizabeth&Will: CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow.

Jack: Set course for....somewhere over there...ish.

eat_toast
Wed, 07-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Did anyone else want to scream "You Bitch!!!" as loud as they could at Elizabeth when she betrayed Jack? I know I did. I too am puzzled about Barbarossa's return, but since the monkey stayed undead I'm sure they will work something out to explain that. Davey Jones was badass, that organ scene was really really cool imo.

Genma
Wed, 07-12-2006, 05:27 PM
I wanted to scream "YOU BITCH!" to the people at the theatres, but certainly not at the movie itself. :p

kooshi
Wed, 07-12-2006, 07:24 PM
Haha, you should've done what one of my friends did one time. He was sitting at the front while I was in the middle (I can't stand front seats at all) for one of the Star Wars movie (I shouldn't have gone). As soon as the introduction screen with that damn yellow text and space background showed up, everybody in the theatre started cheering like idiots. Knowing that my friend felt the same, he stood up, faced the audience, put up his hand, yelled "SILENCE!" in a funny and authoritative way. I was laughing so much when I heard him say that since he's quite a jokester, and it was even better when everybody just shut up, even during the movie (thank goodness).

ChaosK
Wed, 07-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Rofl Kooshi. I will have to try that, except knowing the people here, I'd probably start a fight.

Mr Squiggles
Wed, 07-12-2006, 11:28 PM
Rofl Kooshi. I will have to try that, except knowing the people here, I'd probably start a fight.
Well, if they're the kind people that would start a fight they're probably not the kind of nerdy people to clap for a fucking movie either so you shouldn't have to worry about that.

kAi
Thu, 07-13-2006, 12:31 PM
First one was better, but this was still awesome, I love the lines in this movie.

Jack: How did you get here?
William: Sea turtles mate, a pair of them strapped to my feet
Jack: Not so easy, is it?

Deblas
Fri, 07-14-2006, 11:33 AM
The movie finally premiered yesterday (yeah, its like that here). I loved the action but I thought that the part with Jack Sparrow and the bamboo stick in his back was a bit too much. Great movie nonetheless.

BTW, anyone stayed after the credits for the extra scene?

p.s: Elizabeth's a bitch...

Yukimura
Fri, 07-14-2006, 12:08 PM
I saw it Deblas, though I was a bit annoyed, since the last scene in the actual movie would have been better as a teaser for the next movie, ie scary voodoo lady says 'you gatta go to de end of de world' credits then 'but you'll need....' and therewe have our nifty little surprise. Anyway, it was pretty funny.

Deblas
Fri, 07-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Yeah, same here. We were hoping that it would be about Jack but no dice.

Terracosmo
Fri, 07-14-2006, 02:37 PM
Critique.

1. FUCK ELIZABETH SWANN. I hate her so much. She is annoying, acts like a snob, and survives way more than she should. And worse still... SHE MADE OUT WITH JACK SPARROW.

YES! Hello Will! You died like 15 times over and to show my gratitude I am now making out with Jack, yes, the same Jack who confined you to Davy Jones' boat. Because I can! I am a woman, I must have my rights!

I don't give a shit if she did it just to chain him (which in itself is unforgivable, to effectively kill off the best character) - THAT WAS UNFORGIVABLE. I swear to god I wanted Will to kill that bitch off so badly. FUCK YOU ELIZABETH SWANN.

2. The ending annoyed the hell out of me. Barbarossa or whatever his name is reappearing was cool and weird at the same time, but not surprising considering that people die and come back all the time in this franchise. What I did hate was the cliffhanger however. That type of cliffhanger MUST DIE. "Welcome back in 2 years!". Gah.

Other than that, great movie, although definitely not on par with the first one. The first one had a special charm, and didn't feel as shockfull with GFX and weird plot twists.

People who say that part 2 is better are most likely just suffering from the "OMFG I JUST SAW A NEW MOVIE" syndrome.

Splash!
Fri, 07-14-2006, 06:33 PM
What I did hate was the cliffhanger however. That type of cliffhanger MUST DIE. "Welcome back in 2 years!". Gah.

Yes, the ending sucked but at least the wait is only one year, not two. i believe they filmed they second and the third movie simultaneously, so its already done. They are just going to release it next summer.
But yeah, the ending sucked. I hate movies that leave you thinking about it even after its done. Hence, i hate inconclusive endings. The movie itself was pretty good, though not on par with the first one as many have stated. I guess its just that sequels usually never have the same magic touch as the original, simply because the concept itself doesnt seem all that fascinating being done a second time, despite the quality of the presentation. The sudden change in Elizabeth left me quite confused.What the hell happened?That is one twist i dont think anyone saw coming. I think they just might have to kill her off in the third one to make something of it, and i wouldnt mind after what she did to Jack. There were still several enjoyable moments in the movie and it was definitely worth the watch, especially that entire three way skirmish between jack, will and the commodore.

Deblas
Fri, 07-14-2006, 07:16 PM
I thought it ended just fine for a cliffhanger. Yeah, how the hell Barbossa ended up alive is weird and won't be explained until the third movie but its not something to beat your brains out. The cliffhanger for the first LOTR and the second Matrix(second was it?) were far worse.

I still don't get how the dice game is played though.:confused:

ChaosK
Fri, 07-14-2006, 07:26 PM
Yes, the ending sucked but at least the wait is only one year, not two. i believe they filmed they second and the third movie simultaneously, so its already done. They are just going to release it next summer.

Not yet, there was specifically some article about how Johnny Depp, is keeping his gold teeth inserts in his mouth because they resume filming in August and he said it would be a pain to take them out and reinstert them again in just a few months (this interview was 1-2 months ago). So they did film the majority of it, but they're finishing it in August, and I've even heard rumors that it might be more than 3 movies.

Knives122
Fri, 07-14-2006, 08:17 PM
I just checked and the movie is coming out next year. They're doing the LOTR thing but with the Matrix cliff hanger(and I hate the Matrix)

SamuraiOdin
Fri, 07-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Best review of the movie I saw was: http://www.thatvideosite.com/view/2861.html

Terracosmo
Fri, 07-14-2006, 11:33 PM
The Matrix cliffhanger wasn't too bad.. that trilogy was predictable (and sucked past the first one). The first LOTR cliffhanger was also pretty bad, but I had read the books so it wasn't unbearable.

This on the other hand..

By the way, why does all hollywood movies suddenly have cannibals?

Assertn
Sat, 07-15-2006, 03:22 AM
By the way, why does all hollywood movies suddenly have cannibals?
It's the latest rage over here. You must come dine with me some time. Trust Me.

msmush
Sun, 07-16-2006, 04:19 AM
i saw it yesterday. oh my. barbosa!!!. i needed subtitles for that fortune telling sorceress chick. but i stand by the first movie. this was good but the first was better.

edit: @$%#% she gotta kiss johnny depp !!!

DB_Hunter
Thu, 07-20-2006, 08:19 PM
Off Topic: Feels good to have my net connection back after 3 weeks!

On Topic: I think it was a good movie, a bit drawn out at times though. I think the first one was better though. Fav quote of the movie is Jack telling Elizabeth Swann something about how beatiful women should wear a pretty dress or no dress, and he happened to have no dress in his cabin...!

As for Davy Jones's heart, did you guys notice that the letters were gone as well from the chest when Davy Jones looked at it near the end? I'm willing to bet that the letters are actually they heart that Davy Jones put away in the chest, as I am guessing that they are the love letters between him and his girl... whoever has the letters will control Davy Jones, hence completing the metaphor that Davy Jones locked his heart in the chest.

Its a theory anyway.

Assassin
Thu, 07-20-2006, 10:20 PM
im pretty sure the 'locked his heart in a chest' part was meant to be taken literaly, hence the beating heart found within the chest. there was nothing metaphorical about it.

el_boss
Fri, 07-21-2006, 04:39 AM
Pretty good movie, but why og why did they throw wooden coffind in the water at the beginning? This shit irritated me the entire movie.

Davy Jones had the worst voice ever, he sounded like a gay cricket player or some shit like that.

ChaosK
Fri, 07-21-2006, 12:55 PM
Pretty good movie, but why og why did they throw wooden coffind in the water at the beginning? This shit irritated me the entire movie.

Jack went to steal the picture of the key to the chest. He was then, caught (I assume) and put into a coffin, set to sea to die on the water. Except Jack...being Jack escaped.

Knives122
Fri, 07-21-2006, 12:59 PM
He actually hid inside the coffin with the dead body, sort've like what happened in The count of Monte Cristo. Only cooler.

ChaosK
Fri, 07-21-2006, 12:59 PM
He actually hid inside the coffin with the dead body, sort've like what happened in The count of Monte Cristo. Only cooler.

There was another body in there?

LaZie
Fri, 07-21-2006, 01:13 PM
He pulled out a leg to use as a rowing thing.

Assassin
Fri, 07-21-2006, 01:26 PM
i have a hunch that the 3rd movie will begin with jack as a captive on that island. Maybe it was just me, that there was something unnatural about that island. It didn't seem like the hideout of some pirates or anything, but more like a passage to the underworld (remember those crows eating the flesh of the prisoners etc).

That would also justify the need for barbosa, as he as already died so he would be familiar with that place.

ChaosK
Fri, 07-21-2006, 01:37 PM
He pulled out a leg to use as a rowing thing.

I thought that was the leg of the bird he shot.

ChaosK
Fri, 07-21-2006, 01:38 PM
i have a hunch that the 3rd movie will begin with jack as a captive on that island. Maybe it was just me, that there was something unnatural about that island. It didn't seem like the hideout of some pirates or anything, but more like a passage to the underworld (remember those crows eating the flesh of the prisoners etc).

That would also justify the need for barbosa, as he as already died so he would be familiar with that place.

Jack is inside a cracka...kracken...kraken? something like that.

Terracosmo
Fri, 07-21-2006, 03:10 PM
(remember those crows eating the flesh of the prisoners etc).

Huh? Crows have been known to do that in history too. What does that have to do with a passage to the underworld?

ChaosK
Fri, 07-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Huh? Crows have been known to do that in history too. What does that have to do with a passage to the underworld?

I think he was referring to how they prisoners gave no effort to even stop the crows, even those who were alive.

DB_Hunter
Fri, 07-21-2006, 05:35 PM
I thought they were all bound or in despair, that's why they didn't do anything.

Terracosmo
Fri, 07-21-2006, 05:56 PM
I'm pretty sure at least one of the prisoners was screaming in agony.
And I mean seriously, what to do? They were probably fatigued too.

Assassin
Fri, 07-21-2006, 08:46 PM
when i saw it, it seemed as if that part was meant to indicate the underworld, what with the tortures and stuff. it seemed like something out of greek mythology.

Jack is inside a cracka...kracken...kraken? something like that.

yes, precisely. So unless Jack Sparrow is another alias for the man of steel, being eaten alive by a giant sea monster would result in him being dead. He will most likely return from the dead much like barbosa has done.

ChaosK
Sat, 07-22-2006, 01:58 AM
yes, precisely. So unless Jack Sparrow is another alias for the man of steel, being eaten alive by a giant sea monster would result in him being dead. He will most likely return from the dead much like barbosa has done.

Even considering the possibility that is is alive inside the monster, my point was he had no way to get out so he wouldn't be on the island.

Assassin
Sat, 07-22-2006, 02:28 AM
err...ok

well my point is that the island is the movie version of tartarus. his body wouldn't physically be brought there necessarily. Im pretty sure barbosa's body is still lying in that cave when jack shot him, but he's been to where ever it is jack will be sent.

el_boss
Sat, 07-22-2006, 05:45 AM
What I meant with the coffin thing was that it is insanely retarded to put corpses in a wooden coffin and then throw them in the fucking water. Why not just throw the body in, it's dead already for crying out loud. Fucking plot device.

zibo
Sat, 07-22-2006, 02:20 PM
Good point, maybe they wanted to thorw them out with some decency [a la something kind of as a funreal (like vikings did)] also if they didn't do it they'd have to take more time out of movie for the escape so the movie would be longer than it was or the rest of movie shorter.

Assassin
Sat, 07-22-2006, 02:33 PM
maybe they burried the corpses, and the ones they threw out were the old ones that had been there for some time. You know, to reuse the graves and stuff. After all, its just an island, how much space could they possibly have. Not to mention, the leg that jack pulled out was rather worn out indicating that the previous owner had been dead for some time.

Knives122
Sat, 07-22-2006, 02:45 PM
Well they would usually throw them into the ocean to make room(the place was more or less a prison). And since they didn't want dead bodies on their rock island thing, they would just throw them "over board".

el_boss
Sun, 07-23-2006, 05:24 AM
@Assassin: I guess that's a valid point. But it leaves a question, why don't they reuse the coffins? I mean they can't have an infinite amount of wood on a prison island (pun intended).

Assassin
Sun, 07-23-2006, 11:23 PM
well.....because i said so!

its most likely just there so jack can escape from the island in a kool 'jack sparrow' way.

Its possible that they had a more detailed explanation of that stuff, but cut it in order to keep movie under 3 hours.....perhaps when a special edition uncut dvd comes out, we'll finally have an answer.