PDA

View Full Version : Battle Royale Remake

Lefty
Wed, 06-14-2006, 06:46 PM
Yes kids, thats right Newline has begun the process of making there new japanese to Americain remake of Battle Roayle wiht an estimated release of 2008. The men resposoble for bringing us "the fast and the furious" and "XXX2" and "the ring". I serously don't see this movie bringing anything new than just replacing the japanese kids with white kids and maybe a little more gore. So nothing better than the original, if not worse.

Knives122
Wed, 06-14-2006, 06:47 PM
It'll probably be worse, Americans always do things worse then the japanese............or so I've heard

kooshi
Wed, 06-14-2006, 08:10 PM
If they are going to bring it here, please, oh, PLEASE, don't butcher a great movie.

Ryllharu
Wed, 06-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Oh, it'll be butchered. Just like nearly every other remake of Japanese movies.

The original had a great deal of gore, I'm willing to bet the new version will have less. We are talking about the people who made XXX2 and the Fast and the Furious. Explosions rather than blood are their particular FX of choice.

Even the original could have used some work on the plot. They lost a little bit of the purpose of the whole island fight or whatever you want to call it, or at the least it wasn't clear or conveyed well. But with re-writers and directors like these, you can be assured that this one will tarnish the original's reputation in any and every way possible.

I should really pick up some of the manga before this travesty comes to light.

Board of Command
Wed, 06-14-2006, 10:01 PM
It'll be named "Battle Island", starring The Rock, Triple-H, and straight out of retirement, Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Cloud 9
Wed, 06-14-2006, 11:55 PM
Well, I can safely assume that this movie is going to be the worst disaster in film history, especially to those who've seen the original version. The fact that it's going to be made by the same people who did The Fast and the Furious and XXX2 assures it's doomed. They should've gotten Quentin Tarantino to do it, if anyone. He seems like the kind of guy who could put it more in line with the original.

bagandscalpel
Thu, 06-15-2006, 12:50 AM
The way I see it, I'm just glad that it's a MOVIE, and not a REALITY TV SHOW.

Assassin
Thu, 06-15-2006, 01:52 AM
actually, a REALITY tv show would, by definition, need real deaths and real gore, so that mite actually be fun to watch.

kAi
Thu, 06-15-2006, 02:50 AM
Yeah, that would be the only TV reality show that I would be watching, haha.
I'm sick, just like the rest of you! Don't deny it.

The remake will be shit, the manga and the japanese movie is all that's needed.

BioAlien
Thu, 06-15-2006, 03:33 AM
geez, those bastard of the american film industry, alway making remake of other country good movie...

Ryllharu
Thu, 06-15-2006, 08:29 AM
That's because Hollywood (specifically the Writer's Guild) hasn't written an original movie in years. When I say years, I mean a decade. After a while, people started catching on that they were remaking every old movie they could get their hands on and either: a) turned into into a film when it used to be a musical (watch TCM, its so obvious), b) blatantly retitled it and made minor variations to modernize it, c) incorporated CG instead of old school SFX

So they decided to nab any and every foreign film they could get the rights to, and redo those. No one would notice because most Americans don't see foreign films. I can think of about 3 right now that are being Americanized as I type this.

When the Writer's Guild went on strike several years back, Hollywood should have just let them go.

Will Battle Royale: America be worse than Battle Royale 2? That's still up in the air. It's hard to beat a movie where the antagonist eats 50 Pepcid AC tablets every 10 minutes.

Psyke
Thu, 06-15-2006, 10:00 AM
I thought Battle Royale was pretty much overrated. I didn't catch part 2, which I heard was even worse. Nonetheless, I have to agree that most American remakes can't really match up with the originals. The original Ring was way more scary than the US one with the horses gone mad.

BioAlien
Thu, 06-15-2006, 06:19 PM
I thought Battle Royale was pretty much overrated. I didn't catch part 2, which I heard was even worse. Nonetheless, I have to agree that most American remakes can't really match up with the originals. The original Ring was way more scary than the US one with the horses gone mad.

ya... like the original Taxi movie was sooo much better than the american crappy version of it...

kooshi
Fri, 06-16-2006, 05:09 PM
I've never seen the original Ring movie, but the one I saw here in North America just plain SUCKED. So many of my friends who watched it were freaking out and such, but I just fell asleep so many times during the movie. How it became so popular, I have no idea, it shouldn't have been that way.

Lefty
Fri, 06-16-2006, 07:54 PM
i'd be damned if they didn't make a remake of Death Note in a few years and call it the book of death. Directors also need to take a few leaps of faith and idont know, Make somthing kinda orginal.

XanBcoo
Sat, 06-17-2006, 11:42 AM
Usually I'm quick to defend American ports of Japanese media when fanboys start shouting "Japanese onry!" but God...this doesn't look good at all. Hollywood can't handle an idea like this seriously. Big stars, explosions, and gore for shock value will be this movie's selling point.

The way I see it, I'm just glad that it's a MOVIE, and not a REALITY TV SHOW.
That's awesome.