PDA

View Full Version : Busou Renkin

XanBcoo
Tue, 05-23-2006, 07:43 PM
Based on the manga by Rurouni Kenshin creator Nobuhiro Watsuki, Buso Renkin is destiend for it's own anime TV series adaptation with a scheduled fall start in Japan. The comic serialized in Shueisha's Shonen Jump in Japan between 2003 and 2005. VIZ Media holds the North American license, with a planned English version release for vol. 1 starting on August 1, 2006. The title's English translation litteraly means "Weapon Alchemist". The shonen story with adventure and comedy elements deals with school students who fight off monsters with magical alchemical devices. Confirmed staff positions include Director Takao Kato (Sorcerer Hunters, Zoids, Rockman.EXE), Series Compostion by Akatsuki Yamatoya (Naruto, Zatch Bell, Fullmetal Alchemist), Chacter Designer Takami Akio (Shaman King) and Animation Production by XEBEC. Jun Fukuyama (Gankutsuou-Albert de Morcerf) will voice hero Kazuki Muto, Yuzuki Ryoka (Armitage Dual Matrix-Naomi Armitage) will voice Tokiko Tsumura. All things considered, this anime has a very high likelyhood of international distribution.
I've been anticipating this since I learned about the manga. I'm curious to see what else Watsuki can do. Apparently this series is a bit sillier than Kenshin, but still good. I'm looking forward to it.

I wonder how the anime adaptation will turn out, since the manga was cancelled or something. If anyone here has read the manga, what's it like?

Honoko
Tue, 05-23-2006, 11:36 PM
I read a few chapters a long time ago. From what I can recall, I think it was about some guy who died but kept on "living" to fight evil spirits or something with a help of a more experienced fighter. Something about how the fighting ability was dependent on one's heart (literally). Errr... that's what I vaguely remember >_<';

But I'm interested in keeping track of the anime. So I gather it's coming out this fall?

bagandscalpel
Tue, 05-23-2006, 11:42 PM
Sadly, whenever I enquire about this title (be it via the interweb, or through conversation with a fellow Kenshin buff), I only find negative feedback, which led me to be hesitant about reading the manga.

Perhaps the anime will change my mind?

XanBcoo
Wed, 05-24-2006, 02:24 PM
Perhaps some people expect too much when comparing it with the mammoth that is RuroKen.

Or perhaps it really is kinda bad. Either way, I'll watch it because I'm curious. Also, I didn't realize at first, but the main character will be voiced by the same guy who plays Roy in SSB Melee.

kAi
Thu, 05-25-2006, 10:02 AM
Man, I've read the manga, but I can't remember it, you'd be waiting on releases from the manga forever. No one scanlates it, I've got images in my head about what happens, but can't really recall it, may have a look later, or bud may fill you in as we'll reading this quite a while ago now.

RasenDori
Thu, 05-25-2006, 10:05 AM
ive read it a while back. its ridiculously similar to bleach in a lot of ways.

Munsu
Sat, 05-27-2006, 02:45 AM
From now on everything that includes a dead guy killing spirits will instantly be thought as similar as Bleach, so why even mention it? Heck, if we are going to mention it like that why not say that Bleach was ridiculously similar to Yu Yu Hakusho in a lot of ways? That they have some similaritites doesn't make Bleach bad does it?

Anyways, from what I remember the manga was pretty boring, but it might be a bit entertaining as an anime.

Zati
Tue, 10-10-2006, 01:36 PM
Episode 1 by Kyuuketsuki

http://a.scarywater.net/kyuuketsuki/[Kyuu]_Busou_Renkin_-_01[72C820DE].avi.torrent

Based on a shounen manga by Watsuki Nobuhiro (creator of Rurouni Kenshin), serialized in Shounen Jump.

The story begins when high school student Mutou Kazuki is killed one night saving a mysterious girl from a monster, only to wake up and find it was only a dream. However, he soon finds out how real that dream was when a giant serpentine monster attacks him and his sister. Tsumura Tokiko, the girl from his dream, explains that the monster is a homunculus. Kazuki had been attacked and killed by it when rescuing Tokiko, however the girl revived him by placing a kakugane medal in his chest.

The kakugane, Tokiko explains, is an alchemical device that when activated can give him the power to fight the homunculus monster. Using this, Kazuki creates his own buso renkin, an alchemic weapon in the form of a huge lance. Along with Tokiko and her own buso renkin, Kazuki joins the fight against the homunculus and their master.

http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=4516

Koyuki
Tue, 10-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Watsuki Nobuhiro <3 I hope this is as goods as Rurouni Kenshing, before the fillers.

I'll check it out mate.

bagandscalpel
Tue, 10-10-2006, 06:00 PM
Watsuki Nobuhiro <3 I hope this is as goods as Rurouni Kenshing, before the fillers.

I'll tell you here and now, that sadly, the series can't hold a candle to Ruroken.

reminisc
Thu, 10-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Just watched the first episode by kyuu.

The first thing i have to say is "roflmfao @ valkyrie skirt" like i have mixed feelings about tokiko's weapon. Like i honestly couldn't suppress laughter when i saw it for the first time, with the whole transforming scene and that pose they always do after they transform. But other then looking fairly odd, i thought it was pretty cool how she minced that snake dude up. oh and she looks slighty psychotic when he's pissed off aswell XD

I'm not really liking the main character much either he's just seems like too much of an bafoon..i dunno maybe they were trying to make him more likeable??

the story seems kinda bland to me..so far they told us taht theres two factions; the Homunculous, which i assume are people who used alchemy to mess with their body. The other faction is Arms Alchemy, people who used alchemy to make weapons. They're at war with each other or something...

I'm kind of dissapointed with it but i'll give it a few more episodes...but yeah i sure hope the main char's clown act stops soon -_-'

Kraco
Thu, 10-12-2006, 11:39 AM
After the first episode, this looks like a series that could be worth watching. With all the series that have ended recently, or are being subbed quite slowly, my list is growing short anyway, so one more series doesn't hurt.

But I found the alchemy warrior girl's weapon a bit ridiculous looking, although it was effective enough, I suppose.

reminisc
Thu, 10-12-2006, 11:42 AM
yeah it's horrible looking =/

lol did you cringe at the phone convo they were having while he was being chased by that snake guy...i swear....

Munsu
Tue, 10-17-2006, 09:29 AM
Episode 2:
http://a.scarywater.net/kyuuketsuki/[Kyuu]_Busou_Renkin_-_02[1DA6F72E].avi.torrent

Kraco
Tue, 10-17-2006, 09:30 AM
Edit: Doh. Bud Bauer made a surprise precision strike from the shadows a mere minute before me (with his ever faulty url, no less).

Edit2: Now this is even more like Bleach with the girl seemingly impaired with her alchemy powers just like Rukia lost her shinigami powers. Comparing this and Bleach, and Bleach and Yu Yu Hakusho doesn't seem equal at all.

Zati
Tue, 10-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Just released by Kyuu!

Episode 3 - Kyuuketsuki (http://a.scarywater.net/kyuuketsuki/[Kyuu]_Busou_Renkin_-_03[FA6CF7A7].avi.torrent)

Kraco
Wed, 10-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Hmm... This episode must have had one of the most ridiculous fights I have ever seen... Or at least the beginning of a fight. The guy must have never played even any FPS games...

Otherwise pretty standard fare with no surprises. But at least it's not bad, either.

darkmetal505
Thu, 10-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Frogs? Yea, that was pretty pathetic. This show seems like a compilation of like 10 other animes. Bleach with the plot, Yu Yu Hakusho with the "i'm dead" thing, FMA with homonculus and alchemy, and finallly Black Cat with the really feminine, gay bad guy.

Zati
Tue, 10-31-2006, 02:06 PM
New just out by Kyuu!

Episode 4 - Kyuuketsuki (http://a.scarywater.net/kyuuketsuki/[Kyuu]_Busou_Renkin_-_04[22E6A980].avi.torrent)

XanBcoo
Tue, 10-31-2006, 04:38 PM
Judging from y'all's comments, I guess I made the right decision to stop watching this after the first episode. Honestly, the whole thing just feels so half-assed.

It's just so cliched it bugs me. I've seen this anime before, several times and in different forms. I only watched this to see Watsuki's character designs, and even then the only interesting one was the guy with the big hair. I'm disappointed.

Kraco
Tue, 10-31-2006, 05:41 PM
After this episode I think they are doing it purely on purpose. The drawing scene / thing was the last straw to break the back of the suspicious camel. The warrior girl, Tokiko, tells she can't draw, and then the guy suddenly draw quite a nice picture. I wonder why they just didn't go all the way down the street and make the girl first draw a laughable picture. If that scene wasn't a reference to Bleach, combined with everything else, I don't anymore know what is.

Zati
Tue, 11-07-2006, 06:57 PM
Just out!

Episode 5 - Kyuuketsuki (http://a.scarywater.net/kyuuketsuki/[Kyuu]_Busou_Renkin_-_05[D4249C2E].avi.torrent)

Kraco
Wed, 11-08-2006, 12:00 PM
Well, this episode showed a lot more promise what comes to action than the previous ones. When body parts start to fly left and right, you know something is being done right!

The potential of a romance between Tokiko and Kazuki is somewhat underlined and doesn't feel nearly as exciting and interesting as Ichigo and Rukia's in Bleach. Still, I always want to see romances in all shows, so I'm not particularly complaining.

The rest of the cast, Kazuki's (Haruhi voiced) sister included, have been totally useless people so far, though. Sometimes the camera just clips to them, but honestly if all of those scenes had been cut away, the series wouldn't have suffered irreversibly. Of course it's just the first arc going on (it looks like more would come since Tokiko is already nearly finished, so it can't possibly go on for much longer), so who knows, maybe they will be given more meaning later on.

Kraco
Thu, 11-23-2006, 08:01 AM
Let's not completely forget our brave warriors of Alchemy!

Episode 6 - Kyuu (http://a.scarywater.net/kyuuketsuki/%5BKyuu%5D_Busou_Renkin_-_06%5B163218AD%5D.avi.torrent)

Edit: Looks like the introduction is now over, and the series will move to actual business. Although this episode was already quite badass compared to the five first ones. People with bad attitudes died left and right. And a mysterious figure in the shadows appeared. Much better than the cheapness evident earlier.

The last scene was very nice, if hardly unexpected.

High Wind
Thu, 11-23-2006, 07:46 PM
I'd like to voice two of the major complaints I had with this episode.

Man Thong.

Papillon Mask hidden within said Man Thong.

'nuff said.

Honoko
Thu, 11-23-2006, 10:37 PM
Hah, the Shishio cameo was quite unexpected. Nice homage.

Other than that, I agree with High Wind. I was glad when Papillon died. One ep of a crazed villain in a man thong is enough.

Kraco
Fri, 11-24-2006, 03:58 AM
Since the voice actor of the main character is the same as in Inukami, the man thong didn't much surprise me... Still, you are right: I'm very happy the arc is over. Let's hope the villains of the next arc (quite possibly the rest of the series) won't be quite so strange in that way but know how to keep their clothes on.

And yeah, the Shishio reference was funny indeed. I noticed it as well.

darkmetal505
Fri, 11-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Eagle guy = Kimimaro

Man Thong = Creed Diskenth + Orochimaru - clothes

Man, this anime is awesome.

High Wind
Sat, 11-25-2006, 01:42 AM
Kyuu - Busuo Renkin Episode 7 (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BKyuu%5D_Busou_Renkin_-_07%5B8E2EBAF7%5D.avi.torrent)

Wow next episode already, that was pretty fast.

Kraco
Sat, 11-25-2006, 06:39 AM
I guess I should have been wiser than to expect the rest of the enemies have a more decent style of clothing... And now it looks like even the most gross of them all is still alive. At least he's not wearing only the smallest piece of underwear anymore, even if the new suit isn't much better otherwise. But at least it covers a little more. It looks like this show is making a point with weird clothing, in general.

Well, it wasn't that bad an episode otherwise. Let's hope the action will develop to a more intensive direction with the enemies not being animal types anymore.

Tokiko's introduction to the class was also pretty funny.

Kraco
Tue, 11-28-2006, 10:15 AM
The Kyuu staffers work like slaves in a sweatshop, and the next ep is already released:

Episode 8 - Kyuu (http://a.scarywater.net/kyuuketsuki/%5BKyuu%5D_Busou_Renkin_-_08%5B584BBEEE%5D.avi.torrent)

Honoko
Wed, 11-29-2006, 12:03 AM
Was I the only bothered by man-thong villain coming back and having casual conversation with his nemesis on the rooftop, not completely recovered, and aforementioned uber-powerful nemesis' comrade just calmly looking on and not do anything about it? My mind was screaming, "KILL HIM! MAKE THE STORY BETTER!" while I was watching that scene.

Oh, Watsuki-san, what happened to good storytelling??

Munsu
Wed, 11-29-2006, 12:32 AM
If the story or the anime gets good at any time during the series, please pm me if you remember. I have no intention of giving this series a try.

Kraco
Wed, 11-29-2006, 03:21 AM
Aye. It looked like it could have gotten better after the first arc, but the reality is it's exactly similar to the first arc. I don't know why the man-thong villain had to survive in the first place, seeing how miserable he was. But considering the new villains aren't much better, I suppose it doesn't really matter in the long run. I suppose it's all for the cheap humour this series seems to try to rely on to fill the comedy requirements it apparently assumes it has. Too bad.

Darth Zin
Wed, 11-29-2006, 11:08 AM
^ well, Mr. Thong does seem useless, but wouldn't it be funny if he turns out to be the reincarnation of the traitor warrior ^_^

Kraco
Tue, 12-05-2006, 12:24 PM
The adventures in the man-thong villa continue...

Episode 9 - Kyuu (http://a.scarywater.net/kyuuketsuki/%5BKyuu%5D_Busou_Renkin_-_09%5B115EA3D8%5D.avi.torrent)

Yukimura
Tue, 12-05-2006, 07:59 PM
Man the rampant sexual innuedo in this show is actually giving me pause...I thought this was a more childish aimed show, but here we find them playing "I show you mine you show me your's" in the bathhouse.

In other news, it's nice to dee some progression in...wow I can't even remember the main charachters name...anyway, I 'm glad his battle experiance and training are showing some results that make more sense than "He just randomly got better".

Kraco
Wed, 12-06-2006, 03:47 AM
I thought this was a more childish aimed show, but here we find them playing "I show you mine you show me your's" in the bathhouse.

Actually that was very childish, if you consider the circumstances. Guys of that age comparing their... tools, and trying to decide who was the most well armed. Man, I was ready to drop the episode at that moment, but then decided to keep watching, because stuff like that doesn't really surprise me anymore in this series.

Besu
Tue, 12-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Epsiode 10 out by Kyuu (http://a.scarywater.net/kyuuketsuki/%5BKyuu%5D_Busou_Renkin_-_10%5BF4E650F4%5D.avi.torrent)

Kraco
Thu, 12-14-2006, 11:55 AM
There was a grave illogicality in this episode: Shuusui-senpai's sword was supposed to absorb all energy on impact, yet he was able to use it to cut. There's absolutely no difference between the cases of somebody else hitting the sword and the sword itself hitting something else. The forces present are quite identical.

The script writer has forgotten too much of his high-school physics classes.

Yukimura
Thu, 12-14-2006, 03:47 PM
I never thought of that my concern was with the fact that Kazuki was fine after that sword cut through everything between his skin and where his heart should have been (lungs anyone).
But then again one sided physically inexplicable powers are nothing new. Goku can Kamehameha away from a stars gravity but not go anywhere when he's shooting at other people (I think when he first fought Vegita he shattered the pillar he was standing on by firing one upwards though).

Kraco
Thu, 12-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Heh. Yes, I also thought the fellow has got nice breathing faculties to be able to effortlessly draw breath with a punctured lung. Still, for some reason that bothered me far less than the sword. Probably only because they took a real effort to explain how the sword works, yet the theory was so flawed.

darkmetal505
Thu, 12-14-2006, 05:12 PM
I didn't like the episode at all. I noticed the punctured lung and was crying because he was ok. The girls Arms Alchemy was ridicuIous, and I hate the brother/sister theme now.

NeoBear
Wed, 01-10-2007, 11:02 PM
http://a.scarywater.net/kyuuketsuki/%5BKyuu%5D_Busou_Renkin_-_14%5B93669532%5D.avi.torrent

man slow day episode 14 =/

darkmetal505
Thu, 01-11-2007, 08:36 PM
I guess the black Kakugane is activiated by a near death experience. They are like crazy curse seal two now. Is it just me, or is Kazuki leveling up to quickly?

NeoBear
Thu, 01-11-2007, 09:09 PM
its just you bro dont forget hes fighting for his friends those types always power lvl =O

"i have to protect my friends!!!"

Activate super power lvl2 glowing cursed seal pwnroflcoptter lassers PEW PEW!!!!!

High Wind
Thu, 01-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Anyone else notice that Victor has a I on his Black Kakugane but Kazuki has a III?
Makes me wonder what happened to II.

Also, I guess when you become a being stronger than humans and Human-Type Homonculus you squeak everytime you walk. Weird.

Besu
Fri, 01-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Anyone else notice that Victor has a I on his Black Kakugane but Kazuki has a III?
Makes me wonder what happened to II.

Tokiko probably has II

Also, I guess when you become a being stronger than humans and Human-Type Homonculus you squeak everytime you walk. Weird.

Lol, you noticed his skin changed too

darkmetal505
Sun, 01-21-2007, 09:00 PM
Lets see what Kazuki can do

Kyuu - Busou Renkin 15 (http://a.scarywater.net/kyuuketsuki/%5BKyuu%5D_Busou_Renkin_-_15%5B3DFEA0C6%5D.avi.torrent)

Honoko
Sun, 01-21-2007, 11:14 PM
Okay, I've pretty much given up on this series because of its utter lack of ruthless logic when dealing with bad guys and deliberate attempts to cover it up with "supposed logic" and stopped watching after ep 9. Picked up ep 14 because I was bored. Intrigued by the fact that I didn't really miss much in between and then found ep 15 to be pretty darn good. Goes to show how linear this storyline is. I'm a sucker for character power-ups =P

I still have a problem with Tokiko's wavering feelings. Hardcore warrior one minute, Kenshin's Kaoru-style hold back touchy-feely girl next. Eeesh.

Yukimura
Mon, 01-22-2007, 03:00 PM
I'm a sucker for character power-ups =P

Powerups are great and all but Kazuki's power curve is off any chart I've ever seen. He's gone from know nothing random shounen to pinnacle of Alchemic existence in only 14 episodes. Has anyone ever powered up so much so fast?

I'm guessing Chouno will pull some sort of Vegita-esque power up of his own at some point so they can have their final confrontation but since nothing about this show is all that new I've made my peace and just watch it for the sake of laughter now.

BioAlien
Wed, 01-24-2007, 01:05 AM
Episode 16 is out, subbed by kyuuketsuki:

http://a.scarywater.net/kyuuketsuki/%5BKyuu%5D_Busou_Renkin_-_16%5B85E54069%5D.avi.torrent

shinta|hikari
Wed, 01-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Zed from Kiba has powered up even faster, in many parts of the story too. Ueki from the Law of Ueki has his share of insane power levelling near the end.

Levelling up is nice, but I find that this is the main source for inconsistency in most action animes. They should really consider the pacing, as well as the power comparisons with other characters when doing so. Episode 16 is a good sample of this.

Dark Dragon
Wed, 01-31-2007, 08:12 AM
Busou Renkin 17
http://a.scarywater.net/kyuuketsuki/%5BKyuu%5D_Busou_Renkin_-_17%5BAD37452C%5D.avi.torrent
Warning: Your eyes will most likely explode or shred tears of blood upon watching the last 3 minute of this episode.

Takuma
Wed, 01-31-2007, 12:38 PM
Busou Renkin 17
http://a.scarywater.net/kyuuketsuki/%5BKyuu%5D_Busou_Renkin_-_17%5BAD37452C%5D.avi.torrent
Warning: Your eyes will most likely explode or shred tears of blood upon watching the last 3 minute of this episode.

Man Pappillon alone makes this show worth watching. :)

deaconfry
Sat, 02-03-2007, 02:01 PM
this is a pretty good series ive read it and seen it but its just a little boring

darkmetal505
Wed, 02-07-2007, 12:42 AM
Episode 18:

http://a.scarywater.net/kyuuketsuki/[Kyuu]_Busou_Renkin_-_18[6EAC65D5].avi.torrent

BioAlien
Tue, 02-13-2007, 01:33 PM
Episode 19 (http://a.scarywater.net/kyuuketsuki/%5BKyuu%5D_Busou_Renkin_-_19%5B113EBC6C%5D.avi.torrent)

shinta|hikari
Wed, 02-14-2007, 09:30 AM
This series has so many convenient plot events without any real sense. They got blasted apart, but they are okay??? I mean, if a blast is strong enough to separate a party such a distance, they would all have to be dead or dying, or at least visibly injured.

And why did that idiot ninja guy wear a muffler? Was it just for style?

RasenDori
Sun, 02-18-2007, 08:03 PM
because its an easy way to say "hey that guys a ninja!"

Hiwatari
Wed, 04-04-2007, 08:17 PM
series has just ended...i'm not really satisfied with the ending though even though its a happy one...felt that more can be done in the fight with Victor...its like everything in the last episode was rather rushed and hurried

Ryllharu
Wed, 04-04-2007, 08:39 PM
I loved the credit sequence with all the text bubbles. Kazuki chasing Tokiko all around and no one really helping her escape.

Yeah the ending was a little rushed, but it was a shonen series that made fun of itself a lot. It was never really as serious as they could have made it. I really appreciated that since a lot of series like this take themselves too seriously.

-Instead of wondering who the mysterious girl hanging around Kazuki was, everyone just assumed Tokiko was his girlfriend from the beginning.
-A lot of things are done at Tokiko's expense, the most serious character in the series.
-Papillion's persistent....bulge, always centered in the screen, forcing you to look at it. They take a villain who looks ridiculous and knowingly exaggerates it himself.

Honoko
Wed, 04-04-2007, 10:11 PM
What I wanna know, now that the anime is over, how does it really compare with the manga? Is it something worth reading?

Hiwatari
Thu, 04-05-2007, 03:39 AM
overall the only thing which i really liked about the series were

1) Bravo vs Kazuki fights
2) 1st fight btwn Kazuki and Victor when Kazuki victorizes for first time...

darkmetal505
Thu, 04-05-2007, 10:21 PM
The ending was not as satisfying as I expected it to be. It would have been better if it had indeed ended on a serious note with Kazuki dead or something. Not only did Victor survive, he's taking all the Homonculus to the moon :confused: . Yea, the last two episodes or so were mainly focusing on Tokiko's somewhat overexaggerated depression.

jay_v
Sat, 04-07-2007, 07:09 AM
i thought over the anime was pretty good, it had action, romance, and comedy but i have to agree with the fact that they did end it too quickly and there should of been more fighting between kazuki and victor. They should have also made a better fight scene between kazuki and pappillon (what a cracker). Other than that it was all good:cool:

Archangel
Thu, 07-28-2011, 06:47 PM
I loved the credit sequence with all the text bubbles. Kazuki chasing Tokiko all around and no one really helping her escape.

Yeah the ending was a little rushed, but it was a shonen series that made fun of itself a lot. It was never really as serious as they could have made it. I really appreciated that since a lot of series like this take themselves too seriously.

-Instead of wondering who the mysterious girl hanging around Kazuki was, everyone just assumed Tokiko was his girlfriend from the beginning.
-A lot of things are done at Tokiko's expense, the most serious character in the series.
-Papillion's persistent....bulge, always centered in the screen, forcing you to look at it. They take a villain who looks ridiculous and knowingly exaggerates it himself.

I wish i could see it translated though

Cool, i found it scanlated in MT. Funny stuff.

I agree, it's like they took all my favorite shounen themes and clichés and bundled them into a single awesome package. The rushedness of it all couldn't be helped, the manga was going to get canceled at first but the author begged his ass off to make a decent ending off of it. Anyone remember Psyren? Same deal.

- She went from denial to kiss pretty damn fast though, but hey it's not it was exactly unexpected
- Dat bulge! Papilon is honestly my favourite Vegeta-like character in any shounen. I busted out laughing when he first became a homunculus and suddenly got down to his thong and his character grew greater ever since.

The ending was not as satisfying as I expected it to be. It would have been better if it had indeed ended on a serious note with Kazuki dead or something. Not only did Victor survive, he's taking all the Homonculus to the moon :confused: . Yea, the last two episodes or so were mainly focusing on Tokiko's somewhat overexaggerated depression.

That would be some Kenshin OVA level bulshit right there. He sacrificed himself time and time again even after he became a bloody crimson monster with rave hair. Let the guy have his girl, friends and metrosexual platonic life partner

This kind of series i just down my alley, it doesn't overthink its concept and plays with its strengths well.