PDA

View Full Version : The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Pages : [1] 2 3

Munsu
Wed, 04-05-2006, 01:09 AM
Episode 1 released by a.f.k.

http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20The%20Melancholy%20of%20Haruhi%20Su zumiya%20-%2001.avi.torrent

"Based on Nagaru Tanigawa`s "Suzumiya Haruhi" series of novels.

A far from ordinary school story starts here!

This is a story of Suzumiya Haruhi, who upon enrollment at school announced "I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, beings from the future, or super-humans, come see me. That is all!"

Naturally, any normal person would think "What the...?", but Haruhi is dead serious. Things get crazy when everyone realizes just how serious she is about it all and establishes the "SOS Dan".

Suzumiya Haruhi is a good-looking high school girl who has a clear head, haughty personality and very egocentric thought. She has an unimaginably tremendous power to change the world, but she is totally unaware of her own power and so she is also unaware of the effect of her power on the outside world.

A delightfully strange, yet marvelously interesting story!"

http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/mag/sneaker/
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=6430
http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=3651
http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,3508,qusbqz,suzumiya_haruhi.html

Ryllharu
Wed, 04-05-2006, 07:34 AM
The first eps is pretty funny. They make a really lame amature film that comes off really funny. It comes off as a considerably realistic attempt to make an incredibly low budget film.

One of her friends is the same seiyuu as Kaede from SHUFFLE!, but they dress her up as a bunny girl in the middle of the shopping district.

I'll be sticking with this one.

Munsu
Fri, 04-14-2006, 01:58 AM
Just watched a bit of the first episode... Found it interesting how the whole episode is about the amature film it seems. The real story of this series starts on the next episode. I'll finish the first episode later, so far I like it since it's something different.

Edit:

Episode 2 has been out for a couple of days now:

http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20The%20Melancholy%20of%20Haruhi%20Su zumiya%20-%2002.avi.torrent

Munsu
Mon, 04-17-2006, 01:04 AM
Just watched the second episode, I'm really liking this series.

All the characters thus far are interesting, especially the 2 main ones.

Ryllharu
Tue, 04-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Watched eps 2 a while back, I just didn't think this series was very popular in these forums, though it should be. One of the best new series this season.

I was suprised that not only was Mikuru dragged forcibly to the club by Haruhi "It took me a long time to catch her," (I woke up my roommate laughing), but she's also their sempai!

I do think Haruhi, Kyon, and Mikuru make this series. His deadpan comments, delivered in the exact same manner as his roles as Rin from Shuffle!, Mayama of H&C, and various other roles, perfectly counter Haruhi's insane enthusiasm. The part where she had her brainstorm and slammed him into the front of her desk, only to have a long conversation all during the middle of class was great.

Combined with the reasons she grabbed Mikuru, a cute face, "mune-mune," and completely timid, all to attract weird things, since that's what happens in manga.

I'm in love with this series.

Also I decided to take a longer look at the two manga phonebooks that Haruhi quickly shows off while explaining the reason for "arresting" Mikuru into the club. One of them has Shuffle! characters on the cover, notably Kaede. (If you didn't see Shuffle, Yuko Goto voices Kaede, and Mikuru here.) I'm sure the other one is supposed to be a similar joke to other works, but I can't seem to recognize it.

RyougaZell
Tue, 04-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Just saw episode 1 yesterday.
I was like "WTF?" It was pathetically good and funny, heh.

Episode 2 finished downloading this morning, so I'll check it tonight.
Its a must see this season for me.

Oh yeah... loved the animation for the ending.

Ryllharu
Tue, 04-18-2006, 01:04 PM
a.f.k. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya eps 3 (http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20The%20Melancholy%20of%20Haruhi%20Su zumiya%20-%2003.avi.torrent)

More people really need to start watching this. We can't stress this enough, it's well worth it.

Haruhi is certainly the most evil heroine ever.

NeoBear
Tue, 04-18-2006, 05:05 PM
This looks like its buy the same people who did Kanon and Air having said that I was kind of reluctant to watch this show but its pure gold as of the first two episodes it’s kind of got the same feel as FMP. The characters that have been shown are all quirky and very defined or at least that’s the way it feels to me. Even though they are all rehashes of characters we have seen before. But even still I still manage to like them and am looking forward to there daily sillyness. I’m just hoping considering the past series that this studio has done if in fact it’s the same studio, I hope they avoid the deep traumatic plot kind of stuff that happened in Kanon and Air id like them to just continue to make with the Funnies

if it wasnt the studios i stand corrected thanks for the info =O

RyougaZell
Tue, 04-18-2006, 05:24 PM
Offtopic:
Kanon and Air were like that since their doujin-game origins.
It wasn't the studios idea.

OnTopic:
Ep3 out so soon? I'll have to download it tonight.
I haven't really seen the "true" story and I already like this show, heh.

EDIT TO BELOW:

I can't find anywhere about this series just 14 episodes long.
I tried ANN, Anidb and even Animesuki.

Ryllharu
Tue, 04-18-2006, 05:33 PM
Kyoto Animation is in charge of animation production here and AIR. They are doing the Kanon remake, though they did not do the original, that was Toei Animation. As for their respective plots, Key created Kanon and AIR, and are known for work like that. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is the sole creation of Nagaru Tanigawa.

It seems that they will be getting into some semblance of solid storyline soon.

On a sobering note, there are rumors (since I cannot find any confirmation anywhere yet) that this series is only 14 eps long. This means high production values as some consolation. There are many novels of this though, so we can always hope for additional seasons.

RyougaZell
Tue, 04-18-2006, 08:43 PM
Just saw episode two.
Man, it cracked me.

Haruhi's hairstyles were great.
And the best part was when she figured she needed to make a club.
No wait! The best part was bringing the moe-lolita (according to Haruhi) Mikuru.

And I still love the ending animation...

paulfear
Wed, 04-19-2006, 10:55 AM
this is a great series so far, i've gotten quite a few laughs from it.

i hope it will be more than 14 episodes tho.

i like how he just has deadpan expressionless conversations with her. no matter how weird or ridiculous the topic is.

Munsu
Thu, 04-20-2006, 04:36 AM
Just watched the third episode, this series is awesome. Haruhi is a great character, and the way she treats everyone, espcially Mikuru, it's awesome.

So, aliens are among them according to the final minutes of episode three... I hope they portray them in a good manner.

RyougaZell
Thu, 04-20-2006, 08:15 AM
Or maybe Yuki (that was the name of the shy girl right?) is as crazy as Haruhi.

Damn. Episode 3 was awesome. Loved the bunny suits.

Yukimura
Fri, 04-21-2006, 04:36 AM
Wow, just finished the first threee eps, this looks hilarious. Yuki is my new favorite girl who keeps tp her self and doesn't go along with the wackniess around her...is there a fancy name for that girl, she's cliché enough to warrant one, i'll just say she's mt new favorite Rei-like personality. I haven't seen any of the other shows mentioned in this thread that were apparently similar to this, so I can only say that this show had made me laugh more and harder than any anime i've seen to date (not counting laughing at stuff that's not supposed to be funny).
Haruhi seems to be the perfect single-minded obsessive charachter. Mikuru is a great lackey, for her, though i'm very curious as to why she puts up with it, she's obviously uncomfortable.with Haruhi's treatment of her. "If i'm ruined for marriage, will you take me?" Is going on my non-existant great quotes list. And if the writers can keep Kyon's side comments as zingy and sarcastic as they are now this show should be gold all the way through

RyougaZell
Fri, 04-21-2006, 08:33 AM
Yeah, one of the best parts is Kyon's sarcasms.
That's why I loved the ridiculous first episode hehe.

Oh yeah... the preview for next episodes also cracks me... when Haruhi says the wrong episode number and Kyon has to correct her again and again.

Did I mention I love the ending animation?

masamuneehs
Fri, 04-21-2006, 06:07 PM
wow i tried the first episode and i was shocked at how much i liked it. They point out all of the crappy anime stereotypes so well. The cameraman's comments absolutely made it for me, and they weren't done in a 'bunch-line' format, just casually inserted in there, which was wonderful.

actually laughed out loud when the cat started talking. Oh and the 'who makes lunch for the love interest' thing seemed to be a direct shot at Shana, is there another anime that does that? I'm going to DL the next two episodes as well.

edit to below - meh, maybe it's just japanese school flirting then. i try to avoid 'school' animes so i can only recall it being in Shana

Munsu
Fri, 04-21-2006, 06:23 PM
I don't remember the scene specifically, but doing a parody on "making lunch for your love interest" can't be said to be a direct shot at Shana. A lot of animes have that, it's very comon.

IFHTT
Sat, 04-22-2006, 12:04 AM
I don't remember the scene specifically, but doing a parody on "making lunch for your love interest" can't be said to be a direct shot at Shana. A lot of animes have that, it's very comon.
Yeah, Shuffle also had a lot of that make a delicious lunch for my love interest stuff.

kooshi
Sun, 04-23-2006, 05:47 PM
Watched all 3 episodes today and I am stunned. Definitely one of the best and wackiest series so far. Gotta love those sarcastic comments + random ideas.

Kraco
Mon, 04-24-2006, 08:24 AM
Hmm... It certainly was quite unique and had lots of great moments, but I can't say I like this show as much as most of you. I did appreciate the wacky atmosphere and the strong characters, for those I much appreciate, but the very thing, the cameraman's comments, that Masa so loved almost made me stop watching the first ep halfway through. And that same trait continued in the normal episodes. Now I'm half the time not sure when Kyon is talking out aloud or only thinking silently something. The whole narrator feeling puts me off.

Well, despite the lone fact that clashes with my tastes, this series is easily good enough to warrant watching also in the future. And of course I want to see what new lunatic plans Haruhi can come up with.

Yukimura
Tue, 04-25-2006, 06:42 AM
Was rewatching ep 3 so I could see the ending dance again (I need psychiatric help...) and I noticed that asahina makes referance to "this time plane" after her mock molestation. This got me thinking, perhaps the zany movie we saw is more than just some crazy garbage Haruhi thought up. With Nagato's confession, the current absense of the 5th member, the statements about a "suspicious transfer student" and what I just mentioned, perhaps there''s some underlying weirdness going on that the movie gave clues too. Just a thought I had as I tried desparately to learn that awesome dance routine.

RyougaZell
Tue, 04-25-2006, 08:35 AM
Was rewatching ep 3 so I could see the ending dance again (I need psychiatric help...) and I noticed that asahina makes referance to "this time plane" after her mock molestation. This got me thinking, perhaps the zany movie we saw is more than just some crazy garbage Haruhi thought up. With Nagato's confession, the current absense of the 5th member, the statements about a "suspicious transfer student" and what I just mentioned, perhaps there''s some underlying weirdness going on that the movie gave clues too. Just a thought I had as I tried desparately to learn that awesome dance routine.

I feel Haruhi will be one of those series you'll need to rewatch from start to end (without long brakes?) to fully understand everything.
Those pointers you give are certainly interesting.

And yeah... that dance is addicting...

masamuneehs
Tue, 04-25-2006, 01:54 PM
hot off the presses from a.f.k.

AFK - Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi 4- avi- (http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20The%20Melancholy%20of%20Haruhi%20Su zumiya%20-%2004.avi.torrent)

left us with a pretty big cliffhanger last time. let's see where they take it...

Munsu
Tue, 04-25-2006, 03:28 PM
This was a great episode, but story wise it seems like they skipped a couple of episodes. I think that the show itself is setup this way, like the next episode will probably explain what happened before this current episode, at least I wish it does.

Ryllharu
Tue, 04-25-2006, 04:26 PM
Gotta love Haruhi petting and then biting Mikuru's ear.

Given the information in this eps, let's see if we can get this straight:
Mikuru Asahina - time traveller of some sort (obvious enough from her lines in this eps).
Yuki Nagato - a space alien/witch with tremendous powers.
The other guy (also featured in the movie) - I'm guessing he's a space hero?
Haruhi Suzumiya - apparently when she's bored or unhappy, she opens up a portal to some "other space" filled with monsters.
Kyon - a normal guy tossed into this and apparently a key Haruhi's mood.

This is what I'm guessing anyway.

The titles of the eps (Melancholy I, II, III; Boredom I) match the names of the novels. So the next eps should return to the previous timeline as the preview indicated. Here's a url with the names of the novels and some other information from a.f.k.'s channel. Haruhi novels, story titles, and anime eps (http://www12.brinkster.com/stratoct/haruhitimetable.txt)

Kraco
Tue, 04-25-2006, 04:30 PM
(@Bud: ) Aye, those were my thoughts exactly. In fact I twice checked the previous episode to make sure I had watched it, and watched it all the way through, before I finally yielded and accepted it's just the structure of the series. Well, it didn't bother as much after that, just felt a bit strange.

Nevertheless, it was a good episode, and the characters remained faithful to their peculiar traits. And somehow I think this might not have been the last time, either, we see Haruhi using Mikuru to advance her plots... It feels like a trademark already.

NeoBear
Tue, 04-25-2006, 06:54 PM
Yeah I love this series without a doubt everything seems well thought out and there don’t seem to be any of those anime short cuts that drag out things to save time or money, it would be a blessing if all anime could share some of the qualities of this show. As for the whole foreshadowing missing episodes time skip or what ever. After watching the episode I was left with some questions but they are things I hope to see answered over the course of the show rather then things that I feel need to be answered right this second.

Ya know I just noticed while they wear practicing that when Kyon went to help Mikuru she warned him about being nice to her again, and that when Kyon and the other guy wear talking about Haruhi’s mood that he said it was related to Kyon. I wonder if something happened wear Haruhi got jealous of Kyon being nice to Mikuru and the world almost blew up or something. Also the part wear she was putting Mikuru’s hair up and Haruhi noticed Kyon looking she looked kinda mad or when Kyon got mad at her for giving Mikuru weird signals she looked mad, and right after that is when the weird guy started talking about closed whatever. Wonder what it’s all about

Yukimura
Tue, 04-25-2006, 10:40 PM
And the plot thickens, I laughed pretty much non stop this episode, to the point that I wasn't mad about all the missing story that I hope will be explained in later episodes. Whererver or whenever Mikuru is from they apparently don't teach people anything though, because that girl is as dumb as an empty box, though it just makes her all the more loveable.
It does seem interesting that Kyon seems totally okay with all the weird stuff that goes on around him, like 'closed space', Yuki's magic and Mikuru's Mikuruness while Haruhi appears to be completely oblivious to everything weird that's going on around her. Seems like Kyon is leading the life she wants so badly instead of her.

paulfear
Wed, 04-26-2006, 08:43 AM
it wasn't until the end of the episode when they announced the title of the next episode (and when kyon mentioned things were out of order) did i realize that i did not in fact, miss an episode.

i think this show is going to do that a lot, jump around in the series without explaining why or even mentioning that it is. but given the rest of the show, i think it works perfectly.

sheva
Wed, 04-26-2006, 08:44 PM
this awesome series one might find it hard to understand,but it's really a great one...should u need more explanation on this,u can:
=SPOILERS(i think it is...)=
read the novel...it has a translated version in here (http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index.php?title=Suzumiya_Haruhi)

RyougaZell
Wed, 04-26-2006, 09:35 PM
Im at a loss for words...

Ep 4 just was awesome.
And when each of them (Yuki, Mikuru and the other guy) started to talk about their own uniqueness (or show in Yuki's case) I was like... WTF?? when did this happen?

Oh yeah... the flashback to the monster world was like... huh?

I laughed so hard when Yuki incantated the bat...

But seriously i was... huh?

PS:
Did I ever mentioned I love the ending?

Ryllharu
Thu, 04-27-2006, 09:46 AM
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya OP Bouken Desho Desho [Aya Hirano] (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20The%20Melancholy%20of%20Suzumiya %20Haruhi%20OP%20Single%20-%20Bouken%20Desho%20Desho%20%5BHirano%20Aya%5D.zip .torrent)

Enjoy. Now to wait for the ED to show up.

Lucifus
Fri, 04-28-2006, 01:16 PM
Holy shyt! Excellent stuff. Just watched all four episodes and was wondering if I was missing some episodes. This anime is great, I'm really hoping its more than 14 episodes. And I don't mind hte story skipping due to the nature of the show, But I hope they address it later on. The Characters rule. Nuff said. :D

Munsu
Tue, 05-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Episode 5 is out people:

http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20The%20Melancholy%20of%20Haruhi%20Su zumiya%20-%2005.avi.torrent

Lucifus
Tue, 05-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Episode 5 is out people:

http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20The%20Melancholy%20of%20Haruhi%20Su zumiya%20-%2005.avi.torrent

One of your greatest posts. :D Downloading now.
Will comment later.

Edit: Holy crap, Excellent episode =D. The beginning was o.0.....

But the rest of the episode I laughed my a** off. "Hooray Haruhi...you even got people calling you god now" :eek: Classic! My god the ending is addictive, and what was that sound Haruhi made in the next episode preview........

Anyway, awesome episode, watch it asap.:cool:
Edit: Sorry for double post.......

Narasho
Tue, 05-02-2006, 05:04 PM
I must say, the intro of this anime is one of the most original intros I have seen. Kind of weird, but at the same time intriguing. It draws you into the anime.

XanBcoo
Wed, 05-03-2006, 12:45 AM
this awesome series one might find it hard to understand,but it's really a great one...should u need more explanation on this,u can:
=SPOILERS(i think it is...)=
read the novel...it has a translated version in here (http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index.php?title=Suzumiya_Haruhi)
Holy damn, thanks so much for that link! I read through chapter 6 of the novels just now, and I gotta say, I'm liking this series more and more. I haven't yet watched episodes 4 or 5, but after reading/hearing about them, it seems that if you read through volume 1 of the novel, some shit about episode 4 will make a lot more sense. This is all due to the anime's skipping around chronologically.

It also looks like episode 6 doesn't follow directly after episode 5, either. That's too bad, because after Koi's, Mikuru's, and Yuki's confessions, some more weird and exciting stuff is gonna happen. Ah, plot twists!

I am slightly disappointed that the show seems to be heading into a weird sci-fi plot though. At first I thought it was a wacky comedy, then I thought it was a wacky high school drama, and now that all these fantasy/paranormal elements are showing up, the series has lost a bit of its charm for me. If we assume that the other 3 members of the SOS Brigade are telling the truth, that just makes this show another "Normal-kid-has-his-world-tipped-upside-down-by-paranormal-events" science fiction series. It's a bit...cliche. But hey, this show has thrown me for a loop twice so far, so maybe even that assumption is wrong. I can't wait to see what happens next. It's all really interesting.

Kraco
Wed, 05-03-2006, 06:32 AM
One intriguing fact that became evident after the mysterious transfer student's speech is the puzzle of Kyon's identity. Of course it's probably wise to be critical about what the esper said, but if you assume what he said is true, to an extent, and actually also considering the time traveler and alien, then either Kyon isn't an ordinary student or Haruhi isn't interested in just weird things. Haruhi at the very least scouted out the other weirdos, or if the esper is right, created them. So why would Kyon be there amongst a god, an alien, a time traveller, and an esper? Or is it simply so that to have anything strange, you absolute need something that can be classified as perfectly ordinary to be an object of comparison.

Well, of course the 4th episode already explained that Kyon is the key to Haruhi's moods, but that sounds just lame. He could also be just a technical fact to make the series work like it does with a critical observer (narrator), but that would be strange script writing, if other things in the world are so carefully planned.

Ryllharu
Wed, 05-03-2006, 08:44 AM
Kyon is really the key to everything. He gave the cold, unsociable Haruhi the opening. He approached her, and pulled her out actively. Then, he of course made the suggestion that if she didn't like any of the clubs, she should just make her own, which of course set her off. She was no longer the introverted oddball, she was the insane hyperactive Haruhi we know and love. Instead of waiting for aliens and time travellers and espers to stumble upon her, she's actively looking for them.

Koizumi tells Kyon that Haruhi is a god, that she creates the world, or at least some of the "Agency" think that way. And so, an alien, a time traveller, and an esper are shoved into the SOS Brigade.

But I think that what Haruhi really wants is Kyon. He's always the one that has to be involved in her latest escapade. He's the one that does all the paperwork, he has to take the pictures, he's the clean up hitter. Notice how incredibly irritated she gets in this eps when he falls asleep and blows her off at the library, and when the two of them aren't paired either time. You must think "If she's making everything and wanted to be with him, why didn't it just happen?" She still was leaving it up to chance, so it went that way, and she was ultimately irritated by the result.

XanBcoo
Wed, 05-03-2006, 11:49 AM
One intriguing fact that became evident after the mysterious transfer student's speech is the puzzle of Kyon's identity. Of course it's probably wise to be critical about what the esper said, but if you assume what he said is true, to an extent, and actually also considering the time traveler and alien, then either Kyon isn't an ordinary student or Haruhi isn't interested in just weird things. Haruhi at the very least scouted out the other weirdos, or if the esper is right, created them. So why would Kyon be there amongst a god, an alien, a time traveller, and an esper? Or is it simply so that to have anything strange, you absolute need something that can be classified as perfectly ordinary to be an object of comparison.

Well, of course the 4th episode already explained that Kyon is the key to Haruhi's moods, but that sounds just lame. He could also be just a technical fact to make the series work like it does with a critical observer (narrator), but that would be strange script writing, if other things in the world are so carefully planned..
I didn't realize this until I was told to watch it again, but if you listen to what Haruhi tells the class during her introduction at school, she says she only wants to meet aliens, time travellers, espers, or people from a different world. So far three of those 4 have made an introduction, leaving a 4th, missing element. To me it seems like this could either be Kyon, another character we haven't met, or even Haruhi herself. Whatever the case, I agree with you that Kyon is probably there for a reason. Judging on what the other 3 members told him, he is strongly tied to Haruhi and seems to be influential to her moods (and apparently is responsible for the safety of the world). If that entails more than what we've been told, however, I have no clue. I'm pretty damn certain there will be more revalations about Kyon's real purpose in this story. At least, I hope there will be.

I'm also curious to find out what happened 3 years ago, which seems to be the most important coinciding fact between the 3's stories. Whatever it is that's going on, it seems to be tied to something that happened 3 years earlier.

But I think that what Haruhi really wants is Kyon. He's always the one that has to be involved in her latest escapade. He's the one that does all the paperwork, he has to take the pictures, he's the clean up hitter. Notice how incredibly irritated she gets in this eps when he falls asleep and blows her off at the library, and when the two of them aren't paired either time. You must think "If she's making everything and wanted to be with him, why didn't it just happen?" She still was leaving it up to chance, so it went that way, and she was ultimately irritated by the result
I agree it's pretty obvious she has a thing for him, which also lead me to think "why doesn't she just make everything happen the way she wants it to?" (I'm inclined to beleive what Koizumi and the other said - Haruhi isn't normal, that's for sure). Maybe what you're saying is right. If the world is really some matrix-esque reality, and Haruhi is unaware of her influence on it, perhaps she herself still subconciously abides by its rules, and thus things happen that don't go according to her plan (as any normal human would expect of this world). Or maybe everyone's just making stuff up. :confused: Dunno really.

masamuneehs
Wed, 05-03-2006, 03:54 PM
well i am glad i just happened to not watch 4 until I'd gotten 5, cuz there was lots of explaining to do... did not see this series taking that turn, however as long as it keeps up with the comedy i am absolutely fine with it.

2 Theories behind why Kyon is important:
1. He is indeed like Xan suggested, a person from an 'alternate universe/world'
2. Haruhi does simply desire regular humans after all.

Either one of these were confirmed by the Esper's words to Kyon "You're just an ordinary human." And 'ordinary' makes me think ordinary, from the current planet and time and 'universe'. There naturally exists the possiblity that Kyon is an 'ordinary' human from a parallel world, but that (at least to me) would make him EXTRAordinary...

So I'm running with the notion that Haruhi somewhere deep down inside just wants a regular human being in her life. Not someone boring, but someone she can have fun with, who complements her personality and who can invoke strong emotions from her. I'm quite tempted to say that 'love' is going to be the key to this series.

Also, rewatched the OP and caught a few things.
OP starts with Haurhi just standing and 'wishing' to the night sky. Then a bright light appears and a hand stretches out to her and the OP begins. The hand represents either Kyon (see Ryllharu's post) or the event 3 years ago.

Look carefully at the things going on around the characters in the OP:
Haruhi has images of 'creation' or physical creations when featured: a hand writing, a construction site, graffitti, a tree.
Kyon flashes banging his head against a blank white wall. Only has his shadow.
Mikuru has time: hourglass, clocks, etc
Yuki had data: books, computer screen

Haruhi running while people surrounded by various things:
Class President Girl (flowers), Yuki (planets), Esper guy (no idea), Mikuru's friend (strawberries and a rainbow?), Mikuru (clock) (Kyon's sister, cat and two others as of yet to appear also in this part)

Then Kyon and Haruhi walking together (more like him following her) and looking at each other when their frames come together. (background is traffic lights)

and they say i overanalyze things...

XanBcoo
Wed, 05-03-2006, 05:15 PM
So I'm running with the notion that Haruhi somewhere deep down inside just wants a regular human being in her life. Not someone boring, but someone she can have fun with, who complements her personality and who can invoke strong emotions from her. I'm quite tempted to say that 'love' is going to be the key to this series.
I sure hope so. I started out with the notion that this was going to be a "normal" show, so if the theme is something ordinary (like a boy-meets-girl love story) instead of an Evangelion-type sci-fi conspiracy epic, then I'll be very pleased. If all the weird stuff that's going on isn't the main focus, but rather compliments another central theme, I think it would be a much better show.

Removed spoiler allusions. Refrain form pointing out what are spoilers and what aren't.

Budweineken

Everon
Fri, 05-05-2006, 03:31 AM
2 Theories behind why Kyon is important:
1. He is indeed like Xan suggested, a person from an 'alternate universe/world'
2. Haruhi does simply desire regular humans after all.

Interesting theories. When I think about Kyon's importance maybe he's just a moral center to all the insane things that are happening? Our little tether to reality. His reactions certainly make me laugh harder.

But he's more than just a literary tool, isn't he? And when I think back to Kyon's intro monologue in episode two, it was interesting that Haruhi and Kyon had similar desires up to one point.

My opinion:
1. While this has no indication of being a love comedy, I can't shrug off a feeling that it will turn into one. ("Haven't I met you before" and this significant thing that happened three years ago.)
2. While Haruhi's behavior IS peculiar, maybe Kyon is actually the one who extraordinary and and is projecting his powers onto someone else because of his own disbeliefs.

Edit: Anyone else think Mikiru is Kyon's sister from the future? (Hehe, now I've got you thinking about incest :P )

XanBcoo
Fri, 05-05-2006, 04:46 PM
2. While Haruhi's behavior IS peculiar, maybe Kyon is actually the one who extraordinary and and is projecting his powers onto someone else because of his own disbeliefs.

After thinking about it for a while, this suddenly makes a whole lot of sense. What I keep wondering is, if Haruhi staying in a good mood is somehow responsible for the safety of the world, then shouldn't have something happened before Kyon came into the story? She seems like she's been in a frustrated move most of her life, but it's only when she met Kyon that the others decided to reveal themselves, and that Haruhi's temperment was high-priority. Like you said, the fact that he also used to really want to beleive in extraordinary things, but decided not to at some point in his life is also really interesting.

Ryllharu
Fri, 05-05-2006, 05:25 PM
Before Kyon suggested to her to make the club though, she was just passively trying have them (aliens, time travellers and the like) contact her. After she created the SOS Brigade, she began actively seeking them out, which resulted in all of what's happened so far.

Kyon's solution to her own dissatisfaction is what set her off. Before, she wasn't much of a threat to what the others are protecting, but Kyon accelerated and aggravated Haruhi's...diversions.

What's really important is what happened to Haruhi three years ago.

Everon
Sun, 05-07-2006, 04:34 AM
There's a finished translation of volume one made by Baka-Tsuki.

I compiled it into a pdf, but I'm wondering whether or not to read it. I kind of like the way the episodes are out of order.

Stuck it over here if anyone wants a gander at it. http://beta.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=FE59C25400B26A14

Edit: For anyone that wants to read it at the URL site:
http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/index.php?title=Suzumiya_Haruhi

NeoBear
Sun, 05-07-2006, 05:04 AM
Damn son you need rep for that nice find =D

XanBcoo
Mon, 05-08-2006, 02:30 PM
The PV rip of the ED is out on Gendou's Anime: Hare Hare Yukai (http://gendou.com/amusic/?filter=Suzumiya+Haruhi+no+Yuuutsu&match=2).

It's not quite the same without the dancing, though :p.

cugginenter
Mon, 05-08-2006, 04:07 PM
Thanks for finding those links, really good stuff.

Yukimura
Tue, 05-09-2006, 05:09 AM
What exactly does PV rip mean, more specifically whats a PV? I'm assuming from the length of the file that its the full song, but is there some difference from a reqular track lifted from a CD?

Kraco
Tue, 05-09-2006, 06:02 AM
PV comes from the words Promotional Video, that is, a music video. So, it would be just the audio track ripped from a music video. As I'm no expert here, I don't know how good audio tracks the music video sources usually have, and thus how good quality the PV rips are compared to the regular CD rips.

Ryllharu
Tue, 05-09-2006, 07:15 AM
Harehare Yukai OP single (Full version) (http://p.greedland.net/torrents/2006/05/09/1147152923.torrent)

Already downloaded it and checked it myself. Scans of the cd included.

Munsu
Tue, 05-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Episode 6:

http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20The%20Melancholy%20of%20Haruhi%20Su zumiya%20-%2006.avi.torrent

paulfear
Wed, 05-10-2006, 09:45 AM
i have to say one of the best things about this show was the previews for the next show, kyon's confusion over a lack of continual episodes.

it was a good episode, but probably my least favorite of the ones that have aired so far.

RyougaZell
Wed, 05-10-2006, 10:38 PM
Just saw ep 6.
It was a nice, slow paced episode.
This series has shown a lot of plot methods by now.

And the preview for ep 7 was priceless.

Lucifus
Wed, 05-10-2006, 10:42 PM
There were some points in this episode that I couldn't stop laughing, as far as I'm concerned, every eps excellent:) , but all the other eps by far were better than this one.

Kraco
Thu, 05-11-2006, 03:04 AM
Aye, it was a good episode. Haruhi relentlessly continues to be all hyped all the time, no matter what everybody tries to say to make things look more normal. And that of course created a nice setting for what happened at the end of the episode.

It has been theorized that Haruhi subconciously (or at least not so openly/directly) wants Kyon, but when I watch these episodes, it looks to me Kyon is only eyeing Mikuru. I wonder if this is because it would destroy Haruhi's credibility if she showed clear interest in an ordinary mortal... However, if Kyon and Mikuru grew closer to each other, it could distress Haruhi. Hmm... Mikuru might not allow that.

Yukimura
Thu, 05-11-2006, 08:32 AM
I agree Kraco, I've noticed a lot of situations where Haruhi treats Kyon the way a girl who really likes a guy, but is shy about it, would sometimes treat him. She'll be harsh and abrasive to him all the time, but she'll turn to him a lot when she gets excited, seeking his approval I think. And whenever she catches Kyon with Mikuru she reacts in a way that could just be Haruhi, or could be a display of jealousy.

The aspect of Haruhi's subconscious that worries me is this murder situation, It's very possible that her mind caused this to happen, since it probobly wasn't going to happen anyway. The idea that she would do all this just to be an 'Ultra Detective' kinda frightens me.

Anyway these out of order episodes are really getting sketchy, I envy the people who will pick this up afte it's over and have free reign ovr what to watch when.

Kraco
Thu, 05-11-2006, 09:29 AM
Oh. I never thought the old man could really be murdered. Well, that's certainly a possibility. I just assumed it was a play to amuse Haruhi. Since the owners of the villa are Itsuki Koizumi's associates, they should have the same agenda (well, that is if you believe Itsuki Koizumi is an esper, and there really is some organization). Considering that, I was thinking the organization arranged a nice little mystery on the otherwise dull (perfectly normal) island.

Board of Command
Thu, 05-11-2006, 02:26 PM
I think the whole murder scenario is just a set up.

Everon
Thu, 05-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Cliffhangers...knowing the episodes are shown out of order, who knows how long it'll take for us to get a resolution. Bummer.

I don't think its a setup. Itsuki made it clear that his organization didn't plan this sort of excursion. Right now I'm going to assume its a real murder, and I feel sorry for Kyon. A murderer on the island with his lil' sister around? Hell no Suzumiya Haruhi, hellz no.

Dark Dragon
Thu, 05-11-2006, 09:13 PM
I'm not sure if anyone else realize this, but i think in the episode preview, the eps number that Haruhi said is the real number for the eps? it would fit because
ep 2 and 3 was introduce as 1 and 2, and then 4 which was another event completely was introduce as 7, and then 5 was introduce as 3 which was a follow up to episode 3 introduce by kyon, and then 5 and 6 was introduce as 9 and 8, the short version of all that would be 2 = 1, 3 = 2, 4 = 7, 5 = 3, 5 = 9 and 6 = 8. Which is funny because that would mean Kyon is the one that is actually wrong and Haruhi has been saying the right episode number all along.

I hope that wasn't too confusing, and i envy those that decide to watch when the series finish because they can use the preview as guide line and watch the eps in the actual storyline order.

Lucifus
Thu, 05-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Yep, I've thought about that before, and I think its correct. Kyon was right, but....Anything Haruhi wants, Haruhi gets:rolleyes: She is God after all...........

XanBcoo
Fri, 05-12-2006, 02:29 AM
Heh, it looks like even this series can't escape the obligatory "Beach Episode" of anime. But it certainly was a highlight (http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/305/haruhihighlight3ct.jpg) of the episode, proving once again that fan service and an intelligent story really can get along.

I want to bring this up again just because it's so relevant to this episode. I think it's funny that the events that happened were present in Kyon's mind beforeh the fact. It could be that there really are mysterious events surrounding the mansion (unlikely imo, due to the nature of the show so far), or it could be that Kraco and BOC are right and the events were set up (possibly by Koi and his mates). Or maybe the whole thing is a product of Haruhi's desires, or once again even more interesting...Kyon's.

It's not just the mystery I liked though. This show is still hilarious. I particularly laughed at Kyon jumping around on the beach next to the fireworks, Nagato's over-the-shoulder-I-love-you-glance (http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4682/haruhinegatolove1pz.jpg), and Kyon's ever sarcastic verbiage. This episode intially made me think "random filler" but I ended up loving it.

Edit: There was another particular scene I liked. When Haruhi went up to the ferry deck to search for a giant squid, Kyon turned to Nagato thinking that she'd have to use her powers in case one really did show up. He then made a comment which I interpreted as "Oh man, I can't believe I'm really starting to believe this shi...".

Church
Sun, 05-14-2006, 12:14 AM
I finally caught up to ep6. At first I thought this was going to be bad, but I really like it now. The humor is great, the shear randomness of the plot is just awesome. Kinda makes me sad there's only going to be 14 eps. Although there's like 8 vol. of novels...

Everon
Sun, 05-14-2006, 02:27 PM
I'm not sure if anyone else realize this, but i think in the episode preview, the eps number that Haruhi said is the real number for the eps? it would fit because
ep 2 and 3 was introduce as 1 and 2, and then 4 which was another event completely was introduce as 7......

Yes you're correct. Since the anime is slated for only a few episodes (13?) instead of progressing down the storyline normally, they decided to be clever and select the events that "Haruhi" wants. So its something like this:

Alternative : Chronological
Episode 1 : ?
Episode 2 : 1st episode
Episode 3 : 2nd episode
Episode 4 : 7th episode
Episode 5 : 3rd episode
Episode 6 : 9th episode
Episode 7 : 8th episode

Church
Sun, 05-14-2006, 02:43 PM
Guys, check this out. I'm not sure if it's been posted before. But if you go to the Official webpage (http://www.haruhi.tv/activitylog.html) and select all (Ctrl + A), you'll see that there'll be 15,498 episodes. I guess Haruhi strikes again... this show will never end... :)

Kraco
Sun, 05-14-2006, 03:27 PM
Heh heh. Indeed. But no matter how good an author of the original material, I bet around 3500 the show will start to lose some of its sharpness...

Everon
Sun, 05-14-2006, 11:01 PM
Not to mention that the voice actors will be 150 years old by that time Kraco

Dark Dragon
Sun, 05-14-2006, 11:37 PM
Hey who knows, Haruhi might decide to make them young again to continue the show forever.

Church
Sun, 05-14-2006, 11:59 PM
Just imagine 15,478 filler episodes...

Darknodin
Mon, 05-15-2006, 09:08 AM
Not to mention that the voice actors will be 150 years old by that time Kraco

well considering one ep a week... it would take 298 years
I guess that after 40 years of drawing the same characters, the animators could get really efficient and make the show once a day... so it would take another 36.7 years... 76.7 years is not so bad... like they'd be a hundred or something... or it could be some sort of dynasty.

RyougaZell
Mon, 05-15-2006, 10:59 PM
Suzumiya Haruhi no.... Gundam??? (http://www.sos-dan.com/Suzumiya_Haruhi_no_Yuuutsu_ED(gundam).avi)

I LOLed at that video.

Anyways... found this interesting page as well:

http://kanai.dw.land.to/location/haruhi.htm

Just follow the links in that page... you shall be surprised...
An example:

http://kanai.dw.land.to/img/200604/haruhi50.png
http://kanai.dw.land.to/img/200604/IMG_3587.jpg

Dark Dragon
Mon, 05-15-2006, 11:29 PM
OMG that gundam video gotta be the greatest thing ever.

Church
Mon, 05-15-2006, 11:45 PM
LOL, that was great. I salute the person or persons who took their time to do this.

masamuneehs
Tue, 05-16-2006, 10:47 AM
episode 6... hmm I like Xan's idea about Kyon being the one actually in 'God' mode... it really seemed like Haruhi's desires weren't manifested right away, and only a few of them ever seem to take place... (no giant squid, but a murder mystery) Then again, the subconscious is exactly like that, you can't really know all of it yourself...

The comedy, mystery, original concept and fanservice (Haruhi is a babe) are great.

I have also been wondering about this for awhile, as it seems to be a reoccurring thing that might be there for more than comedic purposes: Kyon always 'losing' and having to buy stuff for people. What is that all about? I think it happens far too often to just be there for comedy... it has to represent something...

Also, Kyon never seemed to think specifically about the idea of a detective mystery, an isolated island or his little sister coming along, yet those things all happened. Kyon's secretly ominipotent subconscious at work or Haruhi's?

Kraco
Tue, 05-16-2006, 11:54 AM
So, if it was Kyon, then to what extent would the happenings be products of his subconscious? Would even Haruhi be a product of it? After all, if Kyon hadn't met Haruhi, nothing would have happened. Actually, that's quite an interesting train of thought: Even if Kyon subconsciously believes in supernatural things and aliens, with the skeptical mentality of his he couldn't have ever expressed that belief. So, he created a character who believes in those things zealously and with no regard to the general opinions. Thus by following such a person Kyon could actually give in to his believes and face the supernatural, even while outwardly trying to deny it.

However, I don't really believe in this option. Kyon being the narrator and everything, I rather think he's the character we know the best, as much else is interpreted through him. That would require an objective view. Still, there could lurk a surprise here, who knows.

Munsu
Tue, 05-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Episode 7:

http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20The%20Melancholy%20of%20Haruhi%20Su zumiya%20-%2007.avi.torrent

Kraco
Tue, 05-16-2006, 02:58 PM
It looks like the second part to the island mystery will be the next episode. This episode seemed to be a stand-alone one. However, considering the contents of this episode, it certainly didn't bother me. The fact the continuation to the island story was postponed a bit was quickly forgotten when watching this episode.

Quite a lot of supernatural stuff in this one. And very bizarre supernatural stuff, to be precise. And this episode hardly supported any other theory of the origin of the anomalities than the official one. Aside from the weird action, Kyon's real reason to keep visiting the club room was also made quite clear, and it doesn't bode well for any Kyon - Haruhi romance...

But I gotta say the esper dude has excellent names for his special attacks.

kooshi
Tue, 05-16-2006, 09:33 PM
Is it just me or was Kyon's sarcastic comments funnier than usual, especially when he was freaking out at the sight of the cricket. He made me choke a few times while I was eating, hahaha.
And Full Metal Panic parodies! Just plain awesome, the best part of this episode :) Fumoffu, Lambda drivers, and Second Raid, they just made my day.

Board of Command
Tue, 05-16-2006, 09:42 PM
I liked the Final Fantasy reference when they defeated the cricket. In case you missed it, it's when they show the big cricket in the middle of the screen and the 3 guys in front of it, like the victory sequence in Final Fantasy games. Nice subtle touch.

Church
Tue, 05-16-2006, 11:22 PM
Now that you mention it, it does seem like the FF games. Good episode.
I'm interested in seeing the next episode and solving the murder.

I may be going nuts... but is that windows vista I see?

XanBcoo
Wed, 05-17-2006, 02:45 AM
Hah, I didn't get the FMP references until I found out they were both done by Kyoto Animation. Nice. It was really cool to finally see Itsuki and Nagato's powers in action during this episode. I guess this has more or less confirmed that they really are what they say they are.

I agree with Kooshi, Kyon's wit was especially sharp this episode. I think it accurately portrayed his comments in the novels better than the previous episodes (he basically makes a stream-of-conscious comment after almost every bit of dialogue). It's one of my favorite aspects of this show. Kyon's quickly becoming one of my favorite protagonists ever. The plot itself sort of seemed like contrived filler material to me, but it was still enjoyable. At least we know that Nagato and co. are telling the truth, and that Haruhi really is the source of some weird shit - the logo, in this case. I also liked the attention to Nagato, she's been too overlooked so far.

Edit: Oh, and wow. The animation was really great, as usual. I love the camera angles they come up with, like all the overhead shots or the view from inside the computer monitor. There are little details that are cool too, like Haruhi jumping on the bed, or twirling her pen in her hand. Good job KyoAni.

Kyon always 'losing' and having to buy stuff for people. What is that all about? I think it happens far too often to just be there for comedy... it has to represent something...
I think it's not so much for comedy, it's just to show how Kyon is kind of abused by Haruhi (Hell, who ISN'T (http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/8660/mikuruabuse6xj.jpg) at this point??) and that he's really stuck in a situation he doesn't like. On the other hand, he and the other members are always drawn to the club room no matter what (as in the beginning of episode 7). It's an funny situation.

Yukimura
Wed, 05-17-2006, 04:32 AM
This show is so great, I haven't been so entertained in a long time. So glad we got to see Koizumi's abilities. I was worried his powers would be boring or mundane...relatively speaking. And Yuki's weird spell casting was in top form again. I assume she was the one that made the door unlock?

Anyway the comedy was great as always. The FMP referances, the abuse of Mikuru, and the sheer seriousness with which they handled fighting a giant space cricket in a pocet dimension were all excellent. I wish this show was more than 14 eps.

Oh and something interesting I noticed (because someone else saw it first and wrote about it) @ 19:07-19:09 in the a.f.k. version you can see a poster behind Kyon of the three female seiyuus Aya Hirano, Gotou Yuuko and Minori Chihara.

paulfear
Wed, 05-17-2006, 07:16 AM
i was very happy when they killed the cave cricket, my old place used to be overrun with those things despite my landlord spraying insecticide once a week for a year.

XanBcoo
Wed, 05-17-2006, 11:32 AM
@ 19:07-19:09 in the a.f.k. version you can see a poster behind Kyon of the three female seiyuus Aya Hirano, Gotou Yuuko and Minori Chihara.
I was wondering who those people in the poster were. Thanks for the info.

Zylix
Tue, 05-23-2006, 10:20 AM
Some episodes of Haruhi for direct download.

http://www.inkomplete.com/downloads/anime/

Well, that's nice but you really should've just posted this in the official thread, in General Anime.

Kraco
Tue, 05-23-2006, 02:07 PM
It would take quite a conspiracy to keep us from watching this:

Episode 8 - a.f.k. (http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20The%20Melancholy%20of%20Haruhi%20Su zumiya%20-%2008.avi.torrent)

Edit: SPOILERS:

Hmm... An interesting episode, if not that surprising. I suppose I was like Kyon by simply not believing it could be an actual murder. Although for different reasons: This isn't really a violent series.

Well, at least there was an interesting chain of scenes that ended in the cave. It had a kind strange vibe going on between Kyon and Haruhi. It suggested a lot with all the close, slow camera shots, but never actually led anywhere. Yet it was still certainly vastly different than the usual Kyon ogling at Mikuru. Perhaps something will happen between those two, although I'm not sure in this series anything can happen. It remains to be seen if the relations between the characters remain static forever because of the greater story or not.

Ryllharu
Tue, 05-23-2006, 03:41 PM
1. I figured that the whole thing was a hoax vaguely from the first part, Koizumi and Nagato wouldn't let someone be killed by Haruhi's wishes. What confirmed it was the butler did not allow Haruhi to check for a pulse.

2. Why did they show Koizumi focusing on a mole on Kyon's neck, a hairy one at that. There must be some rather large signifigance to that.

3. Haruhi does show a great deal of concern for Kyon. Not only was she considerably worried after their fall, but more importantly, where she usually shows no discretion at all when changing her clothes for gym, she stopped in front of Kyon. Perhaps she has come to acknowlege his existence a great deal, since all other guys in school still mean nothing to her.

Board of Command
Tue, 05-23-2006, 04:11 PM
The falling/cave scene was a nice touch. It's common practice in anime for a couple to go in a cave during a storm and undress and light a fire and etc etc. I like how this episode they just sat around talking. Nice twist on conventions.

And like Ryllharu, I figured it out when the butler wouldn't let Haruhi touch the guy. That was a big giveaway.

Kraco
Tue, 05-23-2006, 04:27 PM
2. Why did they show Koizumi focusing on a mole on Kyon's neck, a hairy one at that. There must be some rather large signifigance to that.

Yes, indeed. If it hadn't been a hairy one, it wouldn't have meant anything, but the hair decides it! Har har, hairy one.

where she usually shows no discretion at all when changing her clothes for gym, she stopped in front of Kyon. Perhaps she has come to acknowlege his existence a great deal, since all other guys in school still mean nothing to her.

That's actually a very good detail that I failed to consider at all. I was just wondering the camera work, and didn't much think the reasons behind the actions.

And like Ryllharu, I figured it out when the butler wouldn't let Haruhi touch the guy. That was a big giveaway.
I think that was a bit weak scene all in all. It was too evident. But obviously finding the pulse would have been even worse... Well, I don't immediately know how it could have been handled much differently, because Haruhi had to experience the warmth.

Church
Tue, 05-23-2006, 08:16 PM
That was an okay episode, it's differnet tone; instead of the usual craziness, it's more serious.

And I just noticed... next ep is 14... isn't that the last ep?

Honoko
Fri, 05-26-2006, 09:11 PM
Wow, watching 8 eps of Suzumiya in a row is truly a mindfucker. In a good way. So glad to come across a series with a fresh presentation ^^

Narasho
Fri, 05-26-2006, 09:52 PM
If everyone is happy with how the series ends, I may attempt watching 14 in one day.

Board of Command
Fri, 05-26-2006, 11:35 PM
Where does it say the series is only 14 eps?

RyougaZell
Fri, 05-26-2006, 11:46 PM
ANN, anidb and even the official page state it.

Somewhere I readed it was because the studio centered their attention on the Kanon-remake... and while I am a Kanon fan... I hated that decision...

I kind off hate Mikuru, but like the other characters.

Church
Fri, 05-26-2006, 11:47 PM
Wiki said so... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Melancholy_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya)

Board of Command
Fri, 05-26-2006, 11:53 PM
Darn so it's only 14 episodes. As long as they end it properly.

Church
Sat, 05-27-2006, 12:15 AM
But as I've pointed out before, it's actually 15,498 episodes!!!
High light (Alt + A) this page (http://www.haruhi.tv/activitylog.html)

Yukimura
Tue, 05-30-2006, 04:56 PM
Haruhi - 09 (http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20The%20Melancholy%20of%20Haruhi%20Su zumiya%20-%2009.avi.torrent)

The last episode, chronologically? Who knows...

Church
Tue, 05-30-2006, 05:31 PM
Has this ever been done before? showing the last ep or plot arc around the middle of the show?

Kraco
Tue, 05-30-2006, 05:52 PM
Quite interesting technical aspects in this episode, while the plot certainly wasn't too exciting for this particular episode. The way Mikuru was masked, when she changed clothes was really funny and brilliant. And the strange scenes with practically nothing happening were also funny in their own way; you hardly see scenes like that in any series, and thus they made a strange point, as this is not generally a show lacking some kind of action.

Church
Tue, 05-30-2006, 07:39 PM
A quiet episode. Nothing extrodinary, but It's actually perfect for if they decide to make a sequel.

Ryllharu
Tue, 05-30-2006, 08:08 PM
Since it seems to me there's a little confusion around:

Remember that Haruhi's episode numbers do not correspond with the anime eps, only Kyon's do. Haruhi's represent where the equivalent number would be in the novels and always have. Of the eight novels that have been written, this would appear around the end of the fifth novel. Or the middle of the sixth. Even the original novels jump around somewhat (at least according to the table linked below).

There's almost no doubt that the 'anime' eps 14 will be the end of the first novel, the final eps in "The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi (title of the first book). Since the series is how it is, there has to exist some uncertainty involved, which is why I say 'almost no doubt'.

See This timetable (http://www12.brinkster.com/stratoct/haruhitimetable.txt) linked off of the a.f.k. channel. The "Kyon" represents where in the eps the series is, for instance, this one is eps 9. "Haruhi" has always been telling the true chronological timeline.

Don't get confused because this series only has 14 eps and Haruhi labels this as 14. This is chronologically last (of what they've shown), but it is still only a little over halfway of the story.

EDIT: I've been told somepeople have been having remote site errors (I personally have not), so copy and paste this link and go to the timetable links:
http://www12.brinkster.com/stratoct/haruhi.htm

Board of Command
Tue, 05-30-2006, 10:54 PM
The scenes with the locker and Mikuru changing were done beautifully. It was very original.

The scenes with Nagato sitting there and the voices outside the room were also very good. That big mix with altered common anime lines was pretty funny.

XanBcoo
Tue, 05-30-2006, 11:33 PM
Some things from last episode (which I didn't properly watch) that are still bothering me: Who was that girl with the hat and torn up letter on the boat, and what was with Itsuki staring at Kyon's mole? These can't have just been random scenes. I'm curious to see if and how they will come back later on. Anyway, 9 (14?) was a good episode.

The scenes with Nagato sitting there and the voices outside the room were also very good. That big mix with altered common anime lines was pretty funny.
I hate to say it, what with all the Evangelion parallels being drawn about this show, but that scene reminded me of a number of scenes from NGE where nothing at all happened (the Asuka/Rei elevator scene, for example). I kinda liked it though.

This episode was really relaxed. I'm going to watch it again to try and catch some hidden messages or something, but from the looks of things it seemed to be just another episode about the life of the SOS members. Which is cool. More of Kyon and Mikuru being bossed around, more of Itsuki being a yes-man Haruhi appeaser, and more of KyoAni's fluid animation and creative camera angles (inside the locker was great, like BOC said); and none of that is getting old yet. Anyway, I'm really really REALLY looking forward to next week's episode. It seems like it'll cover the part of the first novel that got me hooked.

Edit: I'm also loving Haruhi's growing jealousy about Mikuru and Kyon. The whole last scene was a really nice way to end it, I think. The cardigan and umbrella sharing show beyond a doubt that she is definitely interested in him.

Ryllharu
Wed, 05-31-2006, 06:18 AM
I'm also loving Haruhi's growing jealousy about Mikuru and Kyon. The whole last scene was a really nice way to end it, I think. The cardigan and umbrella sharing show beyond a doubt that she is definitely interested in him.

Also one of my favorite growing aspects of the series. Haruhi gets extremely pushy, irritated, rude and demanding whenever she sees Kyon and Mikuru start to have a moment. It's been becoming more obvious every eps. The last scene was definitely a nice touch.

I definetly got an ARIA-esque vibe from this eps. Nothing really happened, but the series of shots and barely related scenes added a nice relaxing touch to the eps.

kooshi
Thu, 06-01-2006, 02:29 AM
Not a lot happened, but it was certainly a relaxing episode for me. In all the chaos the gang has gone through in the series so far, it's nice to see that they're not... as energetic as they should be, haha. The highlight would be the end with Haruhi and Kyon.

Shiggs
Tue, 06-06-2006, 10:59 AM
LOL I love this show. What I wanted to say about it was already said. Great show. Funnyass scenes. I think I'm an ep or two behind...

Ryllharu
Tue, 06-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Eps 10 is released, get it at the usual places.
The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi eps 10 (http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20The%20Melancholy%20of%20Haruhi%20Su zumiya%20-%2010.avi.torrent)

If you were a little disappointed by the last eps, you have to watch this one. There's a bombshell you do not want to miss.

Well two, but one's a different definition of bombshell :)

Honoko
Tue, 06-06-2006, 05:09 PM
This series is awesome... I'm trying to figure out where to actually place this episode. Wasn't there a VERY brief flashback to this shown in one of the earlier eps? The repeat value of this series is pretty high. I want to know where the talking cat fits into this whole thing.

Kraco
Tue, 06-06-2006, 05:38 PM
A very interesting early episode. The episodes chronologically before this hadn't actually contained proofs to make Kyon believe in supernatural, so in a certain sense this also explains the latter ones, and how he become to accept it (like he said pretty much himself). Of course there were episodes like the one with the fight against the insect in another dimension.

Nagato surely looks better without glasses...

Church
Tue, 06-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Great episode, Kyon's comments are as funny as usual.
But the start was kinda weird, it was totally different from all the other ones. It looked more like one would expect from the first episode of a series with all the credits and such.

kooshi
Tue, 06-06-2006, 09:35 PM
Yuppers, another great episode by the Melancholy cast :) Kyon's best comment was the one where he couldn't move his body and cries out foul play. I mean, wouldn't a normal person just completely freak out? Instead, this guy still uses his wit in a situation where it seemed like he wasn't going to get any help and was going to be killed very soon. Hahaha, he has DEFINITELY become one of my all-time favorite characters.
It was also great to see Nagato in action... well, we saw some in a previous episode, but cmon, she just did a lambda driver. Here, she actually kicked ass!
Seeing Asahina's future self was a definite surprise for me. I never thought that we would see her for this series. This is probably the reason why Kyon fell for her, haha.

XanBcoo
Tue, 06-06-2006, 11:35 PM
Awesome, it sounds like this episode really does contain my favorite part of the novels :D.

Downloading now, and looking forward to it.

RyougaZell
Wed, 06-07-2006, 08:30 PM
Amazing episode. Enough said.

I had forgotten Nagato used glasses. And I was wondering what had happened to the class-rep...

But what I want to know if what happened to Haruhi after she left. She was down and in a very bad mood.

Yukimura
Thu, 06-08-2006, 01:17 AM
My favorite part was Haruhi talking about her 'urges' and such. Nagato was great as well as the Kyon reactions as everyone said. It's awesome how he just kind of ran with the whole she's a crazy alien trying to kill me idea. This episode was pretty much gold all around, though it seemed like Future Mikuru was just an excuse to show off more boobs.

Anyway, I compiled this list based of of Kyon and Haruhi's arguing that takes place in the preview each episode.

Episode Order (Kyon) | Title | Story Order (Haruhi)

1 | Movie | 13.5?
2 | Melancholy I | 1
3 | Melancholy II | 2
4 | Boredom | 7
5 | Melanchly III | 3
6 | Remote Island Syndrome 1 | 9
7 | Mystérique Sign | 8
8 | Remote Island Syndrome 2 | 10
9 | Someday in the Rain | 14
10 | Melancholy IV | 4
11 | Day of Sagittarius | 13

P.S. "Feelings of Love are just a temporary lapse in judgment, like a kind of mental illness."

XanBcoo
Thu, 06-08-2006, 02:36 AM
Gottdamn I loved this episode so much. We're back to good old Haruhi/God conversations, uber Kyon-wit with running commentary, conspiracies, and confusion. I love it.

Favorite parts:
1. Haruhi's and Kyon's conversation in the beginning, also the "urges" mentioned by Yukimura.
2. Kyon saving Mikuru's pictures for...later.
3. Ryoko Asakura: "Random crap"
Kyon: "Are you talking about the Japanese economy?" hahaha.
4. OMG YUKI RULES (http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/1286/yukinagatofight3hf.jpg)
5. Kyon seeing Mikuru's name on the letter and immediately rushing off, lol.
6. No-glasses-Yuki after Kyon mentions it.
7. Haruhi literally dragging Kyon around during the last scene.

Like Kraco said, we now have confirmation of the identities of 2 of the 3 SOS members. Itsuki has yet to prove he really is an esper, but Yuki's scene was pretty intense. Things are starting to get interesting, and hopefully some questions will be answered.

And it is really good to finally see older-Mikuru. I can also now safely point out that older-Mikuru is in the opening credits (lol manga prophet). But what's with all this talk about "it's been so long"?? Does something happen to Kyon/Haruhi/the rest so that older-Mikuru hasn't seen them? I'm curious about that one :confused:. Could it be connected to Haruhi, or is it simply because Kyon is soon arrested and locked up for groping Mikuru?? I'm also looking forward to the "Snow White" thing, but it looks like the next episode is more skipping around, so we'll have to wait it out...

Wasn't there a VERY brief flashback to this shown in one of the earlier eps?
Yes, during the baseball episode, Kyon has a flashback to Nagato fighting Asakura. Also, during Mikuru's changing scene in episode 5, you can see her star-shaped mole on the snapshot of her cleavage.

Ryllharu
Thu, 06-08-2006, 05:42 AM
Older Mikuru's biggest point was when she apparently screwed up and told him about the mole. She implied that she didn't even know about it until he told her about it. Of course, she just told him about it, so now at some point he'll have to inform young Mikuru about it, or else:

OMG TIME PARADOX! (sorry, had to)

I'm guessing that older Mikuru is fairly older than she looks (so could young Mikuru for that matter) which is why they haven't seen each other in so long. Or, like Xan suggested, something happened, some one moves away, etc.

It also seems that the Mikuru's are stressing that Kyon should not get to close to her. Judging from Haruhi's reactions so far everytime he gets closer to Mikuru and given what Haruhi is apparently capable of, which we've yet to see and everyone is so afraid of, its advice Kyon should be taking.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 06-08-2006, 07:13 AM
I dont think the mole had any relevance to a time paradox, but rather, it implied that Kyon was able to see Mikurus breasts close enough and be 'close enough' to her to actually tell her about it. I think that the part about Mikuru not wanting Kyon to get close to her is because Kyon eventually chooses Haruhi over her and she gets her heart broken. (though I would rather be wrong, and have some strange occurence happen instead)

Yukimura
Thu, 06-08-2006, 07:30 AM
Like Kraco said, we now have confirmation of the identities of 2 of the 3 SOS members. Itsuki has yet to prove he really is an esper, but Yuki's scene was pretty intense. Things are starting to get interesting, and hopefully some questions will be answered.

In Episode 7 (Release Order) Koizumi uses some pretty non standard methods to deal with the space monster, I think that proved he was something not normal, unless he's got other powers we havne't seen yet...I shake my fist at you you manga prophet!

shinta|hikari
Thu, 06-08-2006, 12:12 PM
Yeah, shooting a fumoffu and a second raid would hardly fit into normal. Its not the powers I expected him to ave as an esper, but powers are powers I guess.

XanBcoo
Thu, 06-08-2006, 01:46 PM
I dont think the mole had any relevance to a time paradox, but rather, it implied that Kyon was able to see Mikurus breasts close enough and be 'close enough' to her to actually tell her about it.
I think it is a sort of paradox. It reminds me of the Song of Storms in Ocarina of Time, a chicken or the egg kind of thing. Kyon knows about the mole now, so if he mentions it to Mikuru she would have learned about it from him, who as we know, just learned about it from older-Mikuru.

I think that the part about Mikuru not wanting Kyon to get close to her is because Kyon eventually chooses Haruhi over her and she gets her heart broken. (though I would rather be wrong, and have some strange occurence happen instead)
This is probably the simplest explaination for why older-Mikuru apparently hasn't seen Kyon for a while. Perhaps she eventually leaves his life after some huge love triangle drama. But I'm like you, I'd rather have it have something to do with Haruhi's powers.

Yukimura
Thu, 06-08-2006, 09:07 PM
Isn't the simplest explanation (taking into account the truths of time traves, aliens and espers..) that Mikuru goes back to her time at some point, then comes back in her mature form after realizing something that she should have told Kyon before. And the way she acted around him makes me think they had a little something going on in her past/his future, which she has probobly made more awkward now by making him expect it.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 06-09-2006, 04:43 AM
But if you consider that a time paradox, it completely negates the the idea that they (Kyon and Mikuru) may have had (rather, will have) something going on, clearly implied by how mikuru reacted when mentioning the mole. Judging by how the scene went, I think they were trying to nuance the future situation where kyon saw mikurus mole in a more 'personal' way. Considering it a time paradox might be interesting as well, but not as funny and unique as the alternative. (more mikuru-like too)

masamuneehs
Fri, 06-09-2006, 05:54 AM
i sort of forgot about this show for awhile, but damn it is really one of the best!

After hearing that Nagato might have 'set-up' the student council president's disappearance in episode 7 I knew almost right away that the 'closed circle' mystery was just the Esper guy's way of entertaining her as well.

Surprisingly I picked up on the fork and knife as the real hint that made it obvious Keiichi was still alive (I'd considered the fact that NONE of those people might actually exist in the world, instead being spirits from The Agency that wouldn't die so easily, as the most likely way)

... it's a mole... with a single hair sticking out of it... wtf?
I can only imagine it is something from Haruhi 'stuck' to him, probably from when they fell off the cliff. maybe it'll be explained in one of the upcoming episodes.

DLing 9 and 10 right now.

Ryllharu
Fri, 06-09-2006, 06:35 AM
"I think that the part about Mikuru not wanting Kyon to get close to her is because Kyon eventually chooses Haruhi over her and she gets her heart broken. (though I would rather be wrong, and have some strange occurence happen instead)"

This is probably the simplest explaination for why older-Mikuru apparently hasn't seen Kyon for a while. Perhaps she eventually leaves his life after some huge love triangle drama. But I'm like you, I'd rather have it have something to do with Haruhi's powers.
One more thought about Mikuru we all seemed to neglect. She never actually tells us how far into the future she's from. We all assume its not too far, a decade or so, but what if it's more like 100 years? Then Kyon and Haruhi will all have been dead for so long, that once she goes back a decade or so without seeing them would be completely ordinary.

This is, of course, assuming that she leaves the SOS Brigade after she graduates from high school in two years, since she is a second year. Then, upon returning to whenever in the future, she doesn't see them again because they've been dead for so long.

masamuneehs
Fri, 06-09-2006, 07:34 AM
episode 9 and 10 were like night and day. Obviously I enjoyed the painfully empty moments in 9 a little less than the action-packed episode 10 but...

Snow White huh? A situation where it's just Kyon and Haruhi?

Went back to the baseball episode (4) to see the clip with the fight in episode 10 and found something else instead. It's when Koizumi is talking to Kyon about Haruhi's negative energy about to cause problems.

At the end of an inning.
Koizumi: (leaning in) "Picking up where we left off."
Kyon: "Your face is really close." (this is often repeated. Does it have something to do with Koizumi being able to read people better the closer he gets? Also reminds me of his noticing the hairy mole in episode 8...)

Koizumi: "During the previous incident, when you and Haruhi were in the other world... how did you make it back?"

Kyon: "Don't remind me of that."

Koizumi: "If we use that method again it may get us out of this crisis again."

Kyon: "I refuse."

Koizumi: "I thought you would say that."
Koizumi then gets Nagato to help them win the game.

That all implies that the Snow White method is Kyon's "special ability" that only he can do to save the day. Considering there's only one non-dwarf male in that fairy tale it's not hard to imagine what that ability might be... And I certainly don't find it coincidental that this Snow White thing is mentioned in the same episode where Haruhi talks to Kyon about 'even I get urges sometimes'...

much has been said about the time-travel paradox but I agree with those that say Mikuru tells Kyon not to get 'attached/close to her' because they'll never be in the same time period together (and that he has to fall for Haruhi).

Yukimura
Fri, 06-09-2006, 08:02 AM
This is, of course, assuming that she leaves the SOS Brigade after she graduates from high school in two years, since she is a second year. Then, upon returning to whenever in the future, she doesn't see them again because they've been dead for so long.

Moderately useless tidbit, high school in Japan is usually only three years, they don't take a huge summer break like us (American's idk about any other foriegn programs), just like a month or so I think, and another month off somewhere else in the year, its on wikipedia.

Racso
Fri, 06-09-2006, 04:32 PM
hmm... A very intresting Ep indeed! xD
http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/1959/shv1059nf.th.jpg (http://img372.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shv1059nf.jpg)

=================================
Now..
In ep 10 the part were older-Mikuru not wanting Kyon to get close, that means the young-Mikuru doestn't know about the things that are going to happen between them, or at least that was what i thought .. but in Ep 4 of the during the practice of the baseball game..

Kyon:Are you ok?
Kyon:I'll help you!
Mikuru:You musn't,Kyon-kun.
Mikuru:If you're nice to me...
Mikuru:It will happen again...

happen again? what exactly is going to happen again? does it have to do whit "Their relationship" in the actual present?, something that Mikuru knows that it will happen in the future(since she is a time traveler) or .... i don't know :O

XanBcoo
Fri, 06-09-2006, 06:43 PM
happen again? what exactly is going to happen again? does it have to do whit "Their relationship" in the actual present?, something that Mikuru knows that it will happen in the future(since she is a time traveler) or .... i don't know :O
Obviously it's something that happens in the time period of the series, or else both Kyon and Mikuru wouldn't know about it. If it was referring to the future, Mikuru wouldn't say anything at all (either that or "classified information").

Also, I think I agree with Ryllharu's theory. It probably makes sense that Mikuru is from a distant future, since we know she's from Earth, but has the ability to travel through time - something that might be possible in the next 100 years or so (according to the show, at least).

Yukimura
Tue, 06-13-2006, 03:23 PM
Haruhi 11!!! (http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20The%20Melancholy%20of%20Haruhi%20Su zumiya%20-%2011.avi.torrent)

Kraco
Tue, 06-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Quite a crazy episode. The battle was visualized in an interesting and good way, although it wasn't terribly surprsing. But on the other hand, the main course of the plot isn't that often the main dish of this show, so it's all good. Character interaction was very good. Also some interesting moments between Haruhi and Kyon. Those moments aren't that common, even if that pair could be viewed as the prodigy pair of this show. The esper dude also had an intriguing speech to that effect, though Kyon didn't look too convinced (but he never does, of course)...

Ryllharu
Tue, 06-13-2006, 05:55 PM
I also noticed some interesting interactions between Haruhi and Kyon. When she was 'injecting' him with confidence and energy, she was vaguely describing the feelings usually seen for love in anime.

I love the noises Haruhi makes though, particularly when she's excited or the 'Dor-yah' when she kicked the computer president in the face.

Nice to see a little development for Yuki in terms of personality.

eat_toast
Tue, 06-13-2006, 06:52 PM
"Then send out the Gun***!"
I don't think i've ever laughed so hard at an anime before.

Yukimura
Tue, 06-13-2006, 08:41 PM
I must agree, Send out the Gun*** had me alughing so hard my family had to check on me. It's too bad they didn't use a clip of Strike Freedom from Destiny, that would have made my eye's pop out of my skull.

Awesome episode though, Yuki rocked as usual, though I'm sad that Mikuru has become such a behind the scenes charachter with so little development. Maybe she's in the anime for the same reason she's in the club, cute eye candy.

kooshi
Tue, 06-13-2006, 10:28 PM
Holy freak, I can't freaking believe I watched this freakingly amazing episode... FREAK!!
Haha, enough excitement from me, but yeah, this was an awesome episode. Although I despise Gundam, that part was my favorite part in terms of comedy, even though I was pretty much laughing throughout the episode.
Yuki kicked major ass again! She just might become my 2nd favorite character in the series, the first being Kyon and the second being Haruhi.
You also gotta love the music during the battle in the 2nd half of the episode. It just fits so perfectly well with the setting and the chaos and such :)
It's episodes like these that always make me wonder how people can come up with this stuff. Absolutely genius :D

EDIT: One also has to love the small details they put into these episodes. Anyone notice while the team was training for the game, starting from day 1, Yuki didn't seem like she knew what she was doing, but as the days progressed (and Haruhi's voice got louder :)), she kept getting better? I just knew that was going to spell disaster for the computer team, haha. Also, we got to see everybody's fleet personal, each reflecting their own personalities... except for Kyon, hahaha.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 06-14-2006, 09:27 AM
Great episode. I loved Nagato in this one.

kooshi
Tue, 06-20-2006, 02:47 PM
Episode 12 (http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20The%20Melancholy%20of%20Haruhi%20Su zumiya%20-%2012.avi.torrent)

Everon
Tue, 06-20-2006, 06:20 PM
Felt like a filler, but it was still great.

Ryllharu
Tue, 06-20-2006, 09:10 PM
You couldn't be more wrong about the filler comment. After the performance, there was a huge depth added to Haruhi's character.

Recall the conversation with Kyon under the tree, there was a lot of development there. She usually doesn't care how anything she does goes, but she showed a lot of guilt about her performance (despite how it went), saying that in one more day, she could have made it perfect for the girls who couldn't make it. For a moment she even questioned if she was wasting her life. Before that, I was surprised that she didn't want to go up to the band members without Kyon's insistance. She was completely embarrassed about the performance, less-than-perfect in her eyes. It's odd to see that she doesn't want to let anyone down that may actually depend on her for fulfilling their dreams.

It shows a really interesting side to her that we haven't seen yet. It's almost a 'normal' side to her, and certainly one that shows her more sympathetic towards the feelings of other people that she so quickly disregards in the first of the Melancholy eps (eps 2 by release).

Lucifus
Tue, 06-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Great ep. Wasn't that funny but really enjoyable. How did it feel like a filler? Every episode is filler like, xD, but still always very enjoyable/funny.

Nagato ruled on the guitar:D :rolleyes:

Ryllharu
Tue, 06-20-2006, 09:17 PM
Enjoy all of Haruhi's Insert Songs and even the Love Legend Mikuru theme song.

Geki Chuu Kashuu Single [Hirano Aya & Yuko Goto] (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20The%20Melancholy%20of%20Suzumiya %20Haruhi%20-%20Geki%20Chuu%20Kashuu%20Single%20%5BHirano%20Aya %20%26%20Yuko%20Goto%5D.zip.torrent)

Lucifus
Tue, 06-20-2006, 09:27 PM
Man, I was just about to go search for that. Nice post :cool:
Have to wait an hour to get hoem and download em though T-T

shinta|hikari
Tue, 06-20-2006, 10:05 PM
Actually, that was my favorite episode of this series. True it doesnt have as much comedy as the other stories, but it also developed haruhi more than all the other episodes combined. And I loved the band scene. That is probably one of the best band performances depicted in an anime Ive ever seen (even better than beck).

So many sides of haruhi was shown in this episode. Just when I was starting to veer towards Nagato as my favorite character in the series, haruhi just did a sayonara homerun.

I also loved their choice of songs for Haruhi. Instead of something cute or girly, a more solid artist and song were used to show another side of haruhi (the jack of all trades serious side) that even Kyon started dancing (yes that was Kyon dancing) after seeing.

kooshi
Tue, 06-20-2006, 10:25 PM
Filler? What filler? This was a fantastic episode. Yes, much of the comedy was lacking, but the songs and Haruhi's character at the end MORE than made up for it.

I can't believe there's only 2 more episodes left :( :( :( We need more Haruhi Suzumiya!!

Lucifus
Tue, 06-20-2006, 10:33 PM
Yes, I agree. I think this might be my favorite ep yet. I didn't mean ever episode was a filler, just filler like in a sense, I f*cking love this anime. =P :rolleyes:

Wasn't episode 14 already aired? Or is my memory mistaken? Damn, first Shakugan no Shana, then F/SN, now this T_T.

Guess Black Lagoon, Tokko, and Utaweruno will have to keep me. =P
Oh well. Gotta enjoy the last 2 eps. I'ma rewatch the entire series in correct number order. :cool:

Yukimura
Wed, 06-21-2006, 12:50 AM
Good episode, Yuki gets more badass ever time I see her, and Haruhi's introspection was nice as well, though she's probobly just trying to ignore how bad the movie was by refocusing on music.

Everon
Wed, 06-21-2006, 12:53 AM
rawr! don't kill me all at once :-P

Count the fact that I watched part of the OP and ED it was like watching a music vid of Hirano Aya lol.

Kraco
Wed, 06-21-2006, 03:00 AM
Yeah. It was a fine episode with all of Haruhi's character development. She probably developed in this episode as much as in the other episodes combined... In a certain sense this series isn't focusing on character development at all, as much of its strength is derived from the basic types of the characters.

Ryllharu
Wed, 06-21-2006, 05:32 AM
@Lucifus: The "Eps 14" that aired was in the middle of the series as a whole. Slightly over the halfway point. I've tried to explain this many times. If the series finishes with the end of the the Melancholy arc as I believe it will, it would be in chronological order eps 6. It's a lot more typical of usual anime endings than "Eps 14" was.

I didn't think Aya Hirano could sing rock, but I was highly impressed.

Darknodin
Wed, 06-21-2006, 11:00 AM
@Lucifus: The "Eps 14" that aired was in the middle of the series as a whole. Slightly over the halfway point. I've tried to explain this many times. If the series finishes with the end of the the Melancholy arc as I believe it will, it would be in chronological order eps 6. It's a lot more typical of usual anime endings than "Eps 14" was.

I didn't think Aya Hirano could sing rock, but I was highly impressed.

Just to state... I think that although the anime prsents events in an unchronological order, the real order of episodes is the one we are following. there is continuity in terms of importance.

Kraco
Tue, 06-27-2006, 04:51 PM
The days of Melancholy continue for a little while longer:

Episode 13 - a.f.k. (http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20The%20Melancholy%20of%20Haruhi%20Su zumiya%20-%2013.avi.torrent)

Lucifus
Tue, 06-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Lets enjoy them while they last. =P

Downloading.:cool:

Kraco
Tue, 06-27-2006, 06:24 PM
Not the strongest of episodes in my opinion. It felt a bit redundant. The beginning was really nice, though, with Kyon and Haruhi walking together, and with the perverted old man, but the end didn't achieve much. Just some weird theories (and I'm bloody sure I have heard those theories before somewhere), action that isn't really needed in this series, and explanations and evidence that might have been interesting for the Kyon character, but not really for the audience.

To sum it up, scenes and interaction just between Kyon and the esper dude isn't exactly what forms the best parts of this series... Well, I'm not saying it was a bad episode - the beginning alone made it worth it - but I wish something else had made up the latter portion of the episode, especially considering how we are already running out of eps.

Lucifus
Tue, 06-27-2006, 07:03 PM
In terms of entertainment....worse ep of Haruhi I've seen so far. Seeing the esper crew was pretty kool though. Got a bit of info, but, hopefully I'll be able to enjoy the last ep of Melancholy when the time comes. =P

Yukimura
Tue, 06-27-2006, 08:58 PM
I thought this was an okay episode, it's just that we've figureed out a lot of what Koizumi was talking about from all the eps we've seen that take place after this one.

Anyone know how many eps is this show supposed to be? Were only missing #6 and #11 now (based on the numbers Haruhi gives at the begining of the previews) and the first ep/movie would fit well as the episode before #12, the only one where release order and Haruhi titles match, as they are pre-screening the movie in the first ep and showing it at the festival in the #12. If the first ep was #11 story wise then the next ep, #6 would give us a full 1-14. However the ep Haruhi titled #14 didn't really feel much like an ending to me, so i'm not sure.

Ryllharu
Tue, 06-27-2006, 09:28 PM
The next eps will be the finale of the series. Will they make a second season? Who knows. Haruhi's eps titles jump around because they are related to the content of the series in novel form. There are missing numbers because they skip a fair amount of content. The so-called eps 14 is not the "end" of the series. It's a little bit over halfway. The novels go on considerably farther. I cannot stress this enough and so far only like 4 people seem to understand this.

As for this eps, yes the problem is that everything that Koizumi said is easily figured out through the context of the other eps. It's a lot more interesting if you hear it first, before all the other things we've seen.

Everon
Wed, 06-28-2006, 12:25 AM
It was a good episode that filled in a few timelapses. You're probably right Ryllharu that this episode was less exciting, but I think that choice of showing this series out of order would eventually lead to some overlap in information.

Church
Wed, 06-28-2006, 12:48 AM
Nooooo! just one more episode. They better make the sequels; there's still a lot of raw material from the novels to sustain a couple more seasons... hopefully.

kooshi
Wed, 06-28-2006, 03:01 AM
I agree that this episode should have been shown earlier, but I still liked it quite a lot (although it is not as good as the rest of the episodes).
I can't believe it's already been 14 episodes. PLEASE let there be a 2nd season!

Just as a small trivia I found in Wiki (although I don't know if it's confirmed or not), but in episode 10 when Ryoko and Nagato were fighting, one of the incantations for Ryoko was "You love Kyon-kun, don't you? I know you realized it" in sped up and reversed Japanese. If this is true, then it HAS to be emphasized more if there is going to be a second season :)

Everon
Wed, 06-28-2006, 11:43 PM
This show makes subtle hints that everyone like Kyon to some extent - Future-Future Asahina asking not to get so close, Haruhi's trust of Kyon, Nagato taking the suggestion of not wearing glasses. Since this was intended to be a comedy I think we'll never see a full blown romance episode.

eat_toast
Mon, 07-03-2006, 07:53 PM
Episode 14 (http://a.scarywater.net/afk/%5Ba.f.k.%5D%20The%20Melancholy%20of%20Haruhi%20Su zumiya%20-%2014.avi.torrent) is up.

Lucifus
Mon, 07-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Best post you ever made. Gonna go get some toast while this downloads.:cool:

Not the best of endings, but I really enjoyed it. Rofl at Kyon waking up on the floor.

Sayonara SOS Bridage, and Haruhi. =P

Yukimura
Mon, 07-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Excellent, touching, heartfelt, good. A wonderful end to the series.

It's too bad it's all over but they did a pretty good job on the presentation. It's kinda weird having the climax on episode 6 and having the rest of the show be aftermath. But the crazily ordered episodes took care of that quite well. I can only hope that this series will stay with me for a long time.

kooshi
Tue, 07-04-2006, 03:19 AM
As Yukimura said, this was an excellent way of ending the series. I don't think any other episode would have made as much as an impact as this episode. It's very unfortunate that this series was only 14 episodes long. However, considering that the novels weren't entirely covered (that's what I think at least, correct me if I'm wrong), hopefully a second season will occur.

I think this is just me, but I felt that the parts where Koizumi and Nagato were talking to Kyon were kinda... creepy. Why I felt this way, I don't know (for now), but it was just creepy to me (perhaps it was the atmosphere).

Also, one of Haruhi's look is definitely creepy. When I first saw it, it was so weird to see Haruhi's face like that:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/kooshi/vlcsnap-267837.png

Lucifus
Tue, 07-04-2006, 03:22 AM
I think I can top that.
http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/5966/vlcsnap8350436ir.png

Anyway, yeah, I really liked the ending, really enjoyed this anime overall, Best anime of 06!

Yukimura
Tue, 07-04-2006, 03:29 AM
idk Lucifis, there's still 6 months in the year, and even if that's all trah you'd have to fight FSN at the least. Hopefully come December well have a contest for best of '06. I'd only include series that ended after March or so to be fair. But Haruhi would definately be high on my list.

Lucifus
Tue, 07-04-2006, 03:34 AM
Wasn't F/ SN started in 05? Lol, my mistake. I definatly like Haruhi, but I also definatly like F/ SN...Damned, hard choice.......:confused:

Kraco
Tue, 07-04-2006, 04:43 AM
It was an excellent last episode. Haruhi got to taste a little of her own powers, and got closer to Kyon, although whether she dares to trust that or not is another matter; it was a dream, after all.

Heh. It was funny though how Haruhi described the dream as a nightmare in the morning. She seemed to enjoy it for the most part. And I think she enjoyed the last part the best, yet reversibly rejected it afterwards. Kind of nails down the reason why she keeps Kyon around.

All in all, a truly worthy series, and unique.

kenren
Tue, 07-04-2006, 07:33 AM
woah..this anime is truly amazing...14 episodes aint enough...I WANT MORE! >.<
anyway..the ending made me felt something similar to Suzuka..Cheers to those who watched this !

Mire
Tue, 07-04-2006, 11:34 AM
So Haruhi bought a new costume for Mikuru, but we never got to see her wear it =(

-M.

Board of Command
Tue, 07-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Also, one of Haruhi's look is definitely creepy. When I first saw it, it was so weird to see Haruhi's face like that:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/kooshi/vlcsnap-267837.png
I thought the same thing. It looked awkward.

But all in all, this has been a very pleasent surprise of a series. I think it's going on my all-time top 5.

Church
Tue, 07-04-2006, 02:04 PM
NOOOO!! it's over... Need more...
That face wasn't too bad, it showed that she was starting to like the world being all weird and creepy...

Everon
Tue, 07-04-2006, 05:20 PM
Nurse costume...
So who's going to go back and watch it in order? I renamed mine so it's a little easier.

By Air Date (Chronologically)
01 (11)
02 (01)
03 (02)
04 (07)
05 (03)
06 (09)
07 (08)
08 (10)
09 (14)
10 (04)
11 (13)
12 (12)
13 (05)
14 (06)

youzi1986
Tue, 07-04-2006, 05:52 PM
Does anyone know if there is going to be a sequal? i really enjoyed this series. At the end of the episode, there is the piano background music with haruhi doing the face, then at the bottom right, there is a site --> http://www12.brinkster.com/stratoct/haruhi.htm
from that site..there seems to be a second season coming soon? can anyone tell me haha or is it just my wishful thinking

Board of Command
Tue, 07-04-2006, 08:59 PM
That site shows the books, since this series was based on books. A sequel is not entirely impossible, but it will take a while.

RyougaZell
Tue, 07-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Haruhi only had 14 eps because the studio preferred to center their money on the Kanon remake of 24 eps.
I suppose no one expected this level of Haruhi-ism

Kraco
Wed, 07-05-2006, 04:00 AM
While I didn't think the old Kanon was a bad series, in fact I liked it to a degree, but if the new one with 24 eps is anything like the old, I think I would need a series of cold showers in order to avoid a dazed state of mind, should I watch 24 eps of that kind of show. Aye, I would have much preferred a longer Suzumiya than a longer Kanon. The old Kanon seemed balanced to me, while Haruhi could have certainly run longer.

RyougaZell
Wed, 07-05-2006, 08:16 AM
Kanon was a good series.
The remake has better animation, and its supposed to have more angst, and everything the old anime cut out.

But...

After watching Haruhi I want more Haruhi...

The 3 singles are out!!

Suzumiya Haruhi Single
http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20The%20Melancholy%20of%20Suzumiya %20Haruhi%20Character%20Song%20Vol.1%20-%20Suzumiya%20Haruhi%20%5BHirano%20Aya%5D.zip.torr ent

Nagato Yuki Single
http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20The%20Melancholy%20of%20Suzumiya %20Haruhi%20Character%20Song%20Vol.2%20-%20Nagato%20Yuki%20%5BChihara%20Minori%5D.zip.torr ent

Asahina Mikuru Single
http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20The%20Melancholy%20of%20Suzumiya %20Haruhi%20Character%20Song%20Vol.3%20-%20Asahina%20Mikuru%20%5BGoto%20Yuko%5D.zip.torren t

kooshi
Wed, 07-05-2006, 06:57 PM
You know what I just realized? The talking cat was never explained! Considering that it's Kyon and his sister's cat, something must've happened, but it was never explained :(

Church
Wed, 07-05-2006, 11:22 PM
I just realized... Did we ever learned about Kyon at all? I don't think his name was ever mentioned and his parents were never shown...

Board of Command
Thu, 07-06-2006, 12:11 AM
Suzumiya Haruhi Single
http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20The%20Melancholy%20of%20Suzumiya %20Haruhi%20Character%20Song%20Vol.1%20-%20Suzumiya%20Haruhi%20%5BHirano%20Aya%5D.zip.torr ent

Nagato Yuki Single
http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20The%20Melancholy%20of%20Suzumiya %20Haruhi%20Character%20Song%20Vol.2%20-%20Nagato%20Yuki%20%5BChihara%20Minori%5D.zip.torr ent

Asahina Mikuru Single
http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20The%20Melancholy%20of%20Suzumiya %20Haruhi%20Character%20Song%20Vol.3%20-%20Asahina%20Mikuru%20%5BGoto%20Yuko%5D.zip.torren t
Haruhi single = the cultural festival song?

Yuki single = ?

Mikuru single = the Mikuru song from the festival movie?

RyougaZell
Thu, 07-06-2006, 12:17 AM
Nop.
Cultural Festival Song
http://www.sos-dan.com/tracker/torrents/[SOS-Dan]_Suzumiya_Haruhi_no_Tsumeawase_(CBR320+Scans).rar. torrent

Festival Mikuru Movie
http://www.sos-dan.com/tracker/torrents/Asahina_Mikurus_Adventure_Episode_00_Soundtrack_&_Radio_Bangumi_01_CD.rar.torrent

I just realized... Did we ever learned about Kyon at all? I don't think his name was ever mentioned and his parents were never shown...

The Novel states Kyon is his nickname, given by an aunt, spread by his imouto.
But yes, we never learned their names, neither Kyon's, neither his imouto's.

hopeknight
Thu, 07-06-2006, 02:22 AM
Ah, this was definately the best series so far this summer. As much as I hope they do another season of this series sometime after they're done Kanon, I'm also fine with them ending it here. They did such a great job on this.

Honoko
Thu, 07-06-2006, 10:21 PM
It was a fun anime... now I'm really interested in reading the novel/manga. I only see a few chapters available on Baka, is that it? Or is there another resource I can go to? (I am IRC illiterate =P)

And yes, I'm really disappointed that the talking cat was never explained.

masamuneehs
Fri, 07-07-2006, 12:45 PM
"Gun***!" Funniest shit ever!

Yes I'm somehow far behind on this show. watched episode 11 today, obviously loved it being the mecha freak i am.

I love the parodies this show pulls, and at the same time it maintains its own alluring plot. So many funny moments.

Watching the camera shots and angles that they use in this show sometimes makes me wonder what drugs they were smoking when they directed/produced this...

Everon
Sat, 07-08-2006, 02:04 AM
You know what I just realized? The talking cat was never explained! Considering that it's Kyon and his sister's cat, something must've happened, but it was never explained :(

I almost forgot about that. Another alien comrade of Nagato Yuki?

Another season is possible, but I wonder if they'll have enough material. They skipped a bunch of chapters (an entire book even), and ended up covering a bunch of events that happened between the first and sixth volumes of the series. I think there are eight books total in all. Maybe 2 ovas?

Church
Sat, 07-08-2006, 10:45 AM
Since they randomly showed the episodes, there'll be no problem going back and showing new episodes randomly from other volumes. That is, if they decided to to another season.

Darknodin
Sun, 07-09-2006, 05:47 PM
The talking cat was the best... especially when I came back to watching ep 1 and jumped (again) when the cat started talking. Personally... i don't think it should be explained... ever.

BUT, they MUST do a second season. a 104 episodes! all aired out of order in the most convoluted way, with no hints whatsoever as to which is which!!!! then you'd have discussions for YEARS as to what the correct way of watching the show is!

chobits1217
Mon, 07-10-2006, 04:19 PM
can someone good with japanese take a look at this page?

http://amanoudume.s41.xrea.com/2006/07/post_231.html

i don't understand japanese, so i have no idea what is this page saying.....
but people in taiwan say.....it mentioned second season of TMoHS!!

i hope it is true@@....

i do see the words "第2期" which means second season.....OH MY GOD!!!

Twomix9900
Tue, 07-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Nop.
Cultural Festival Song
http://www.sos-dan.com/tracker/torrents/[SOS-Dan]_Suzumiya_Haruhi_no_Tsumeawase_(CBR320+Scans).rar. torrent

Festival Mikuru Movie
http://www.sos-dan.com/tracker/torrents/Asahina_Mikurus_Adventure_Episode_00_Soundtrack_&_Radio_Bangumi_01_CD.rar.torrent

The Novel states Kyon is his nickname, given by an aunt, spread by his imouto.
But yes, we never learned their names, neither Kyon's, neither his imouto's.

In 1st episode, Kyon brief says that he wished other people would stop refering him by "Kyon", which suggested to all non-novel readers like me that Kyon wasn't his real name

Just wanted to point it out

yallo
Sun, 07-16-2006, 07:24 AM
can someone good with japanese take a look at this page?

http://amanoudume.s41.xrea.com/2006/07/post_231.html

i don't understand japanese, so i have no idea what is this page saying.....
but people in taiwan say.....it mentioned second season of TMoHS!!

i hope it is true@@....

i do see the words "第2期" which means second season.....OH MY GOD!!!

Let me attempt to decipher that website...

From what I understand, the words "第2期" appeared in the blue/grey box, which I believe are comments posted by the owner of the site in response to the actual news (which in this case is an interview of the author & director of the show, published in Megami Magazine).

In the interview, the director mentioned the portions from the novels that were omitted from the animation, and also named the portions (which included one entitled: Vanish 『消失』) that he would personally wish to produce next.

So in response to this, the owner of the site said something to the effect of "I'm looking forward to Vanish being animated in the 2nd season."

Whether or not this is simply his wishful thinking, or whether there really will be a 2nd season, I really have no idea.
=|

chobits1217
Mon, 07-17-2006, 01:50 AM
lol, people just can't gen enough of this series even after it finished airing

warning, the following link may cause you to puke@_@

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vgDkev9NVw

i guess just gundam models are not enough....they gotta do it with real people hahah!

Board of Command
Mon, 07-17-2006, 11:18 AM
I think they're all guys, but still, they're my new heroes.

saman
Fri, 07-21-2006, 11:00 PM
i just started watching this a day or two ago, and i didn't go through every page of this thread for fear of spoilers since i haven't finished yet, but did anybody else pick up some major detective conan references in some of the episodes? especially the two remote island episodes and episode 9, or episode 14 according to haruhi? or have i just been watching/reading too much detective conan...?

complich8
Fri, 07-21-2006, 11:52 PM
Detective Conan is like the Simpsons, in that it's been on for-freaking-ever. So I imagine anything to do with the mystery motif, they've probably done. "Simpsons did it!" ... etc.

I don't know if any conan references you pick up are intentional or not, but more likely than not they find their roots in earlier stories, and in cultural archetypes. So I would say, you've probably just been watching too much conan. :p

saman
Sat, 07-22-2006, 12:16 AM
haha d'oh!

...pun intended :*)***

rgrintz
Wed, 07-26-2006, 06:10 PM
i just finished this series and have to say it rocked. they have to do another season or it will end up like ichigo 100%, where you never find out what happens. some of the best series i have seen, all end up never having an ending. this is one that definatly deserves to have one.

Ryllharu
Wed, 07-26-2006, 06:51 PM
You could always read the novels as this group translates them to get the whole story.

[Baka-Tsuki] Haruhi Novels (http://project.baka-tsuki.net//index.php?title=Suzumiya_Haruhi)

I've posted the link way back in this thread, and others posted it after I did, but since the series is over we could use it again.

Church
Wed, 07-26-2006, 07:37 PM
Yes, the books explain a lot of things in the anime that was asked and showed by the producers but never answered.
Most notably, in the second ep (by air date) when Haruhi asks "Have we met before?"
If there's another season (or seasons) this will definately be addressed.

Darknodin
Wed, 07-26-2006, 07:43 PM
i just finished this series and have to say it rocked. they have to do another season or it will end up like ichigo 100%, where you never find out what happens. some of the best series i have seen, all end up never having an ending. this is one that definatly deserves to have one.

I agree... that list includes Berserk and now Zipang too.

about the "have we met" comment. I always thought that this had nothing to do with anything, just Haruhi idle talk. I like it when authors throw little hints like this.

Everon
Thu, 07-27-2006, 04:53 AM
Well if not a whole season 2, maybe 4 or 12 ovas :)

And now behold.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hUCwTv0ghg&mode=related&search=haruhi

chobits1217
Thu, 07-27-2006, 06:35 AM
ya....as you may noticed, the subtitle is chinese.
this series is going crazy in taiwan, so popular that crazy edited clips like this one just keep on turning out everyday.....

here are some more:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LTu5H5abgI
(don't throw up!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLQlaHNzZYE&mode=related&search=
(keroro......)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CXuqqR0DWXg&search=haruhi
(i never seen conan's anime...did he really do all those action in the op?)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ToTvTu_XhZs
(oh my god i wanna slap him...and that how popular this is in taiwan....FREAK DOES EXIST!)

i got a lot more, like 20something, want me post them all?
(crap i am a freak too for collecting all these @#%@#%)

kooshi
Thu, 07-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Just something for the anime-only viewers to think about what they are missing out:

Ep1:
- What actually happened when Asahina yelled "Mikuru-beam" when she had the contact on? Plus, why did Nagato attack her head-on afterwards?
- Kyon's talking cat was not much of a surprise, so something must have happened before the making of the movie with the cat.
Ep2:
- Why does Haruhi ask Kyon if they met before?
Ep7:
- Did the group ever rescue the other people affected by the SOS Brigade emblem?
Ep8:
- Who was the figure in black?
- What is the significance of Kyon's mole with the hair?
Opening:
- Who gave his/her hand to Haruhi when she was looking at the nightsky?
Ending:
- Some of the pictures were not shown during this season.

This is basically what I can think of off the top of my head. I never realized that there are so many questions, haha. Yay for novels :)

Darknodin
Thu, 07-27-2006, 05:47 PM
Ep1:
- What actually happened when Asahina yelled "Mikuru-beam" when she had the contact on? Plus, why did Nagato attack her head-on afterwards?

uh! I never even realized that! wow... ok... I'm waiting a year, if there are no news of a season two (or 12 OVAs :D) I'm getting the novel.

rgrintz
Thu, 07-27-2006, 09:09 PM
alright so i started reading the books, there are quite a few of them. as far as i can tell from the what i have read so far, the anime follows the books almost verbatim. but the thing i really like about the site that i went to is the timeline. it give the precise order of the series including the anime(by air date and in chronological order). i'm still trying to figure out way this wasn't made in to a full series? there is plenty of material for at least two seasons and it would seem that the author is still writing more.i guess it is just one of those anime things.

Ryllharu
Thu, 07-27-2006, 09:32 PM
The author said he wouldn't mind another season as I recall, but did not mention any plans at all for the creation of a second season. If I remember what someone translated (correctly or otherwise), the author mentioned the Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi, one of the novels, so I'm hoping to read that one soon. However, we know this series is huge in Japan as well as Taiwan, according to chobits1217.

Personally, I'm just as happy to leave the series ended as is. We all know that it's better to burn out than fade away, and this series filled in all the gaps but leaves us wanting more. Not the "They just cut off the story!" non-ending we see in many series, but we left knowing nearly everything, with some tantalizing questions still remaining, such as the ones kooshi pointed out. Jumping around gave us glimpses of what happens after the Melancholy arc, but each of them stand alone so as to not lead us into something without some form of closure on each. Developments made, others hinted at, leaving the viewer craving for more, and yet still satisfied.

It's always better to leave on a high note, rather than carry on as more a more viewers are distracted and stop watching. I'm sure you can name a few series that you just gave up on as they began to drag on, or take a look at any of the once-popular sitcoms on American TV that went on for 7-10 seasons.

rgrintz
Thu, 07-27-2006, 09:52 PM
it's just sad, to me. this is a very good series, and if they were to keep true to what they have done so far, it could be almost legendary.but i'm old and out of touch i guess. some of my favorite anime was made back in the early eighties, and i'm have trouble adjusting to some of the newer anime that's coming out. my point is, i hate leaving things unfinished. i like it when a series has a concrete ending. i know that is mostly impossible, but it should at least tie up the loose ends. that just what i think.

RyougaZell
Sun, 07-30-2006, 04:23 PM
The scene with the "Mikuru-Beam" is explained in the novels.
Im currently at the 2nd Novel 4th chapter.

Oh yeah
http://www.senakablog.com/archives/img/2006-07-28-201.JPG
Nice car :D
-> http://www.senakablog.com/archives/2006/07/hhtimes.html

kooshi
Sun, 07-30-2006, 06:38 PM
A lot of the unexplained stuff in the anime are explained in the novels. Just gotta go through them all :)

And that is THE best car ever! I would LOVE to have that car!

Board of Command
Mon, 07-31-2006, 07:46 AM
Wow, this show came out of nowhere and became a cult favourite. Quite a phenomenon :)

Church
Mon, 07-31-2006, 11:43 AM
Nice car, but what car is that?

Board of Command
Mon, 07-31-2006, 12:42 PM
I don't know much about cars but it looks kinda like this Skyline.

http://www.buscatuning.com/blog/wp-content/fotos/marcas/nissan/skyline/skln3.jpg

Church
Mon, 07-31-2006, 02:12 PM
lol, I just figured it out, when I first looked at the car I thought "something is not right... looks weird" but now I remember they drive on the left side of the road! :)

Darknodin
Mon, 07-31-2006, 02:15 PM
Acutally its a Japanese-spec Honda (Acura) Integra

kippykinkel
Tue, 08-01-2006, 04:57 AM
i didnt read the novel so im just guessing. if yuki is in love with kyon, then maybe when the mikuru beam was fired, it hit kyon(he goes "oh" and the camera malfunctions for a second) and yuki jumped on mikuru to protect him

rgrintz
Tue, 08-01-2006, 07:20 AM
pretty close. you need to read then novels to really understand, what is going on. but that was a really good guess though.

RyougaZell
Tue, 08-01-2006, 08:30 AM
Baka-Tsuki just finished translationg the 2nd Novel.
The 3rd novel is just missing its 1st chapter, so I'll wait until they finish that one to read it.

Church
Tue, 08-01-2006, 09:41 AM
Well, the first chapter of the 3rd novel is very similar to the anime episode so I thought it was ok to skip it for now. But I really want to read the rest of "Dissappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi" That looks very fun and interesting...

Darknodin
Tue, 08-01-2006, 04:54 PM
To anyone who read volume 2

Shamisen's intro had the be the funniest part of the novel! seriously. In the beginning i thought he was better in the show (more mysterious). but everyone's reaction was just hilarious.
another thing... does anyone know what the "only me" movie Haruhi watched was? i found one from 1937, but i'm not sure if that's it.

I seriously hope they show the making of the movie in the a second season or an OVA (they could actually release small OVAs explaining little parts of the season... that'd be nice)

kooshi
Tue, 08-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Should we be talking about the novels here? I would imagine that any discussion regarding the novels would be in the manga section, considering how there may be some people who are not going to read the novels and hopefully wait for another season.

Darknodin
Tue, 08-01-2006, 10:11 PM
Should we be talking about the novels here? I would imagine that any discussion regarding the novels would be in the manga section, considering how there may be some people who are not going to read the novels and hopefully wait for another season.

I guess you are right... is there a thread in the manga section?

EDIT: Done (http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?p=305505#post305505)

eat_toast
Mon, 08-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Here is some evidence for a second season:
http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/948/1155009407580us6.jpg
:D

Board of Command
Mon, 08-07-2006, 11:09 PM
^ You just made my day.

Church
Tue, 08-08-2006, 01:19 AM
Yeah!!! I was down from hearing SR getting licensed and other crap. But that just brightened me up. Thank you!!!

kippykinkel
Tue, 08-08-2006, 02:45 AM
Here is some evidence for a second season:
http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/948/1155009407580us6.jpg
:D
chibi asahina-chan!!! omg so cute!!! the second season will definetly rock. i hope it comes out soon.

kooshi
Tue, 08-08-2006, 01:05 PM
OH HELL YEAH!! Any chance someone knows when it is going to be coming out?

RyougaZell
Tue, 08-08-2006, 02:57 PM
Care to list where it says there's a second season in development.

As far as I know... that article concerns about Haruhi's DVD (which contains new scenes by the way)

Board of Command
Tue, 08-08-2006, 09:08 PM
It probably has to do with the word "RETURNS!!"

moondoggie
Wed, 08-09-2006, 12:53 PM
isnt all 14 episode is out anyways i didnt really liked the first episode

Lucifus
Wed, 08-09-2006, 01:05 PM
Are you guys shitting me?? That proof link is broken, but from what I gather....A second season? Please say it is so!

Board of Command
Wed, 08-09-2006, 03:31 PM
ENGLISH KTHXBAI

RyougaZell
Wed, 08-09-2006, 07:01 PM
There is no proof about a 2nd Season.

That Newtype was referring to the just released DVD's.

TruthofMistake
Wed, 08-09-2006, 07:17 PM
I thought I'd heard there might be an OVA or something with this show because the author of the books it is based on recently came out with another. I'll have to look and see where I heard that as this is one of my favorite shows. The music in this series was great.

Yukimura
Thu, 08-10-2006, 08:20 AM

Quick KitKat! figure out this person's native tounge wit your cool linguistic's powers! Anyway, all 14 eps are out by a.f.k, and ep one wasn't like everything else in the series, It was Basically Mytstery Haruhi Theater 2006, with Kyon commenting on a movie staring the charachters from the show.

EDIT @ BELOW: MHT 2006, like it's predecessor did in fact WTFPWN the universe, my post didn't make that clear before.

Board of Command
Thu, 08-10-2006, 10:45 AM
The first episode pwnzor'd.

kooshi
Thu, 08-10-2006, 12:27 PM

Just HOW can you not love the first episode? It was damn funny as hell!

kippykinkel
Thu, 08-10-2006, 04:45 PM
my favorite line from the first episode: "If your face gets any closer, someone who's not supposed to be in this scene is going to walk over and kick your ass! OY!"

There is something still bothering me. For the first episode, are Kyon's comments the movie narration or are they his personal thoughts? Does anybody know definitively?

Board of Command
Thu, 08-10-2006, 07:04 PM
I think he was narrating, but doing a really crappy job at that.

Bunny
Fri, 08-11-2006, 02:59 PM
http://www.haruhi.tv/mikuru/index2.html

Ehehehe.... MIkuru Knock-out shots from main website LoLz

I love this episode to death... MORE FROM 2ND season.... If it has 1....

XanBcoo
Sat, 10-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Bump for some Haruhi fun and goodies I found:

Haruhi characters done in Simpsons style drawings:
Kyon and Haruhi (http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7060/melancholyofsimpsonsch7.jpg)
Itsuki, Yuki, and Mikuru (http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/6382/melancholyofsimpsons2cq5.jpg)

Various renditions of "Hare Hare Yukai":
Performed by zombies (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM4XQwC9agw)
Done by the pink Power Ranger (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wNyYcPEFCk)
Some weird guys in their underwear... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhtaUjrQX3E)
and my personal favorite: Set to the dance scene in Napoleon Dynamite (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvlD0dH7Z_4)

And finally a now infamous Haruhi/DBZ crossover that's floating around on a few image boards:
http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/9800/melancholyofdragonballoy8.jpg

Zinobi
Mon, 10-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Heheh Haruhi vs. Kyon on one of the WWE games
Must have spent a lot of time finding the right clothes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQSMnK3sqfA&NR)

I liked the zombie one Comp =P

Board of Command
Mon, 10-09-2006, 10:14 PM
The zombie one is amazing. The middle zombie rocks my world.

wesbc
Fri, 10-27-2006, 02:38 PM
Hi, I'm looking to check this show out. What's the best fansub out there, or is a.f.k is the only completed one so far. I see a few from Animanda, ASR, but of course they are not complete, but it seems they are from DVD rips.

Also, in regards to the rumor of a second season, here's some more rumors.
http://www.dannychoo.com/blog_entry/eng/651/Haruhi+Figures/

complich8
Fri, 10-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Yes, afk is the way to go.

Interesting about the figures, sucks about the rumor, but I think where there's a will (read: profitability), there's a way.

Board of Command
Fri, 10-27-2006, 09:13 PM
I'd rather see a movie or OVA than a second season.

kooshi
Sat, 10-28-2006, 02:24 PM
A movie or OVA? What's wrong with a second season? There's a ton of material in the novels that haven't been used in the first season. Plus, there's a lot of unexplained stuff that happened in the first season (ie. why was the cat able to talk in the first episode?).

Kraco
Sat, 10-28-2006, 02:32 PM
Indeed. Movies and ovas to aired series are usually pretty static without any real development happening (there are exceptions of course). So, a second season would be needed to get Kyon and Haruhi really together under the same umbrella (well, that's what I'd like to see anyway)...