PDA

View Full Version : TV technology thread

darkshadow
Wed, 05-17-2006, 03:29 PM
yeah its a good buy, its a crt display, so the IQ should be great, its just that, find out if its a rear projection crt or a dlp hdtv, if its a dlp hdtv go for it, if its a rpcrt you might want to pass ( i think its a rpcrt), since rpcrt are vulnerable to burn-in, also find out what its native resolution is.

wth underworld evolution dvd???, damn was it worse then part1? cause it never got to cinemas here, i even kinda forgot about it

BioAlien
Wed, 05-17-2006, 04:02 PM
ok, i will check that out when i go with my mom at the store ( in like 2 week...-.-" )

i dunno about underworld evolution... since i too didn't saw it ( i could have went to watch it to the cinema.. but no lol ) wait till 6/6/2006 (release date of it) to check it your self, or download an illegal copy of it by BitTorrent<<-- best choice lol

anyone here going to get a Wii ? i am.. lol (like you already know..)
i mainly want it for the Zelda/Mario games, but also for the Wii Sport game (using the controller to play baseball/golf and tenis.. nice! lol) and of course... Super Smash Bros. Brawl (on Wi Fi and playing with friend), but for the Virtual console.. i dunno... i can have all the game for Free over the internet.. so... i don't realy see why should i pay for something i can get for free... but then again... at least it would be legal

*fall asleep on his keyboard*

Assertn
Wed, 05-17-2006, 04:27 PM
I've been doing alot of research on TVs lately...that doesn't seem like a particularly unusual price.

If I'm spending $2k-$3k, I'd rather look into getting a large plasma tv, personally.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/dlpvsplasmatv.html
(I'm assuming the TV in question is a DLP)

Also, the lifespan comparison seems like BS to me, since I've heard most plasmas last about 10 years before reaching their 50% brightness limit, while DLP light bulbs need to be changed every few years.

BioAlien
Wed, 05-17-2006, 04:31 PM
well.. for now that the largest TV on they website... and i didn't find any other store that sell as big or bigger (and around the same price...) of course i found another one which is 72" but... im not quite ready to pay 4 999,99 $ ... lol

for now that 65" seems the best choice for me... i just have to check the picture quality of the screen at the store and some other stuff...

putting that aside, what else can we discuss about the E3 since it is over...

Assertn
Wed, 05-17-2006, 04:44 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention: I've heard reports that DLPs tend to have a slight delay in response time, which might be annoying if you're trying to play games with it.

BioAlien
Wed, 05-17-2006, 04:50 PM
i have no idea if it is DLP... but i found some detail about it:
Click here to See the Detail. (http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/5192/detail5cn.jpg)

the full name of that TV is :
"JVC AV-65WP74 65 in. Rear Projection Flat Screen HDTV-Ready Television "

or for quick search in google, just type " AV-65WP74 "

it all look good to me...

also as other referance..
Click here! (http://reviews.cnet.com/JVC_AV_65WP74_projection_TV_65/4505-6484_7-30413085.html)

darkshadow
Wed, 05-17-2006, 05:32 PM
ok its rear projected, and it doesnt have a hdmi port, i say skip it and find something else, why not a 40" samsung lcdtv?, i mean its still pretty damn big, its around 2000 aswell, will save more space, has a nice 1366x768 progressive native resolution, and has a hdmi port

http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_LN_R408D/4505-6482_7-31292243.html

Assertn
Wed, 05-17-2006, 06:47 PM
ok its rear projected, and it doesnt have a hdmi port, i say skip it and find something else, why not a 40" samsung lcdtv?, i mean its still pretty damn big, its around 2000 aswell, will save more space, has a nice 1366x768 progressive native resolution, and has a hdmi port

I was originally looking at LCDs, but from what i gathered, plasmas are cheaper, larger, better contrast, and better viewing angles, while lcds are lighter, less power-consumption, and higher resolutions. Personally, contrast and size are my main concerns. Also, plasmas rarely have burn-in issues these days, especially after the first 200 hrs or so of use.

darkshadow
Wed, 05-17-2006, 07:43 PM
yes, in the size to price ratio plasma's are bigger and have a nice contrast ratio, i really dont dig lcd contrast ratio's either, its just the lower resolution that makes me go for lcd, in a year from now however, SED will make its debut, and we will get both benefits in a pretty package ( its basically a flat crt >_>, contrast ratios : 100,000:1 ! 1ms response time )

here is some info about this great upcoming hdtv ( die lcd, dlp, plasma!!! )
http://gear.ign.com/articles/679/679235p1.html

"It gets better. The prototype SEDs on-hand at CES 2006 are far from finished, according to company spokespersons. The sets we viewed were running in 720p and not the standard 1080p that SEDs will accommodate later this year. Meanwhile, the 42" SEDs we saw will be axed in favor of a base size that begins at 55", Toshiba promises. The SEDs will also deliver a 1 millisecond response time, which guarantees that blurring or refresh issues will be a thing of the past. And get this - craziest of all, the final SEDs will ship with a contrast ratio of 100,000:1 to one. Yes, we wrote that correctly -- one-hundred thousand to one."

"Toshiba reps are confident of SED, calling these sets the "new standard." And having seen them in motion, we agree. These babies are beautiful and nothing else that we've seen even comes close."

im definitly getting one >_>

BioAlien
Thu, 05-18-2006, 03:33 AM

nah that too small (i already got a TV like that in my chamber...)
what does a HDMI do? is it realy needed? isn't one of those shit can do the same?
- 1 x S-Video input (4 pin mini-DIN)
- Front, 1 x Composite video/audio input (RCA phono x 3)
- Front, 2 x Component video input (RCA phono x 3)
- Rear, 1 x DVI-HDCP (Mini-phone 3.5 mm)
- Rear, 1 x AV Compu Link-III (4 pin mini-DIN)
- Rear, 2 x S-Video input (RCA phono x 3)
- Rear, 3 x Composite video/audio input (RCA phono x 2)
- Rear, 1 x Audio line-out (RCA phono)
- Rear, 1 x Subwoofer output (Click-fit x 2)
- Rear, 1 x Center channel audio input (F connector)
- Rear, 1 x Antenna (RCA phono x 2)
- Rear, 1 x Audio line-in - Rear

and since the technologie in it is Projection CRT, there is no risk for death pixel right?

darkshadow
Thu, 05-18-2006, 09:41 AM
well actually there is, cause the screen is vulnerable to BURN-IN, static images will burn into the screen, and will remain as a ghost layer there forever, ( HUD in games, the tv station logo on the top of the screen etc..), component can do the same as hdmi FOR NOW, but even so, being that hdmi is a digital connection the quality will never ever change, its the best way to connect consoles, dvd/hddvd/bluray devices, i would rather have a dead pixel, then a logo burned in the screen

BioAlien
Thu, 05-18-2006, 11:36 AM
well for until now, i have alway been using CRT type TV and never got any burn-in... and even though, that can alway be repair... i will check some other TV when i get some free time, and recommend what i think is best for me and the rest of my familly (i don't give a shit about HDTV ...) or i may aswell wait until the LCD/Plasma/other?, technologie to evolve more before doing such an expensive buy

anyway, let's stop talking about that here (since it have like NOTHING to do with the E3...)

darkshadow
Thu, 05-18-2006, 12:04 PM
i didnt say crt's burn in, they dont, crt is the near perfect technology, SED builds on that and makes it perfect.
i said REAR PROJECTED crt display's have burn-in problems, and that's the type of tv that jvc is, so PASS ON IT, and burn in CANT be repaired, its part of the tv, it doesnt fall under guarantee, repairing means buying a new screen or tv

BioAlien
Thu, 05-18-2006, 12:45 PM
i didnt say crt's burn in, they dont, crt is the near perfect technology, SED builds on that and makes it perfect.
i said REAR PROJECTED crt display's have burn-in problems, and that's the type of tv that jvc is, so PASS ON IT, and burn in CANT be repaired, its part of the tv, it doesnt fall under guarantee, repairing means buying a new screen or tv

hum.. ok

SED will probably cost like 10k for only a 50" ...

Assertn
Thu, 05-18-2006, 12:55 PM
one of the points made in the article was that SED would be priced competitively (and maybe even lower) than lcds and plasma

darkshadow
Thu, 05-18-2006, 04:53 PM
yeah, i think that it will too, since its just a flat crt, 10k would be seriously overpricing, and since this tech is made to go head to head with every other kind of tv tech, if priced properly, lcd/plasma/dlp will have a tough road ahead of em

samsonlonghair
Fri, 05-19-2006, 03:46 AM
Plasma Burn-in can still be a problem actually. This is mainly because so many channels have "ticks" in the corner. The "tick" is the little FOX, CNN, ESPN, Discovery, etcetera logo in the bottom corner of your screen. I know a number of people who have the ESPN-HD tick burned into their plasma.

I know an upper-level manager who constantly watches stocks from the plasma screen in his office (apparently having a HDTV makes you a better manager). He called me last week because he wanted to watch a game, and he couldn't figure out why he could still see the word "Bloomberg" written on the screen.

Assertn
Fri, 05-19-2006, 04:13 AM
Plasma Burn-in can still be a problem actually. This is mainly because so many channels have "ticks" in the corner. The "tick" is the little FOX, CNN, ESPN, Discovery, etcetera logo in the bottom corner of your screen. I know a number of people who have the ESPN-HD tick burned into their plasma.

I know an upper-level manager who constantly watches stocks from the plasma screen in his office (apparently having a HDTV makes you a better manager). He called me last week because he wanted to watch a game, and he couldn't figure out why he could still see the word "Bloomberg" written on the screen.

How new of a plasma are we talking about here? Not only is this less of a common occurence, but most plasmas have built-in burnin protection by doing things like screen flickering to clean the pallete

itadakimasu
Fri, 01-08-2010, 03:23 PM
*uses a phoenix down on the thread*

so, my tv died today... i didn't have time to take it apart to see if it's the bulb again. It's a 50'' sony dlp and the bulb went out around 8-9 months ago... on a friday! lol it's just poor timing... i'm not really trying to go a week or more w\out a tv.

So.... This is the best tv i've ever owned. we had an lcd @ my parents house but it was only 32''... so this is by far the best i've had personally.

My question.... would i be making a mistake by buying this 50'' 780p samsung :

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN50B450-50-Inch-720p-Plasma/dp/B001UJK66I/ref=sr_ob_1?ie=UTF8&s=tv&qid=1262980380&sr=1-1

it's $799 on amazon, and bestbuy also has it for the same price but $65 tax too. No telling when it would be delivered if I bought it via amazon...

David75
Fri, 01-08-2010, 03:34 PM
I do not like Samsung.
I find it expensive, even in US$ for a 720p "only" TV

Then I'd rather choose a 42" with better quality, rather than go for a 50" and less quality for the same price. That's what I did when choosing a 42V10 from panasonic.

But it really depends on what you do with that screen, my guess is gaming, hence the plasma and 720p.

itadakimasu
Fri, 01-08-2010, 03:59 PM
I might end up going w\ a 46'' 1080p. I was looking at a resolution comparison and that made my mind up! I just don't know if that is worth another $400.

there is a 46'' 1080p version that is $850. really dont want to go any smaller than that.

wound up getting the 46'' samsung 1080p... realized last night that my directv hd dvr only outputs 1080i, same w\ the ps3. live n learn i guess. the 46'' lcd was only $30 more than the 50'' plasma.