PDA

View Full Version : GWS: Event #1 Poll

Deadfire
Sat, 05-13-2006, 12:35 AM
Well, after a week our teams have put something together for everyone to vote on. The rules of this are simple

Members will rate the pictures below however they wish, base it on humour, text, or what ever this is your vote you only get one
You may write up a comment about them here, if you wish.
Teams are still forbided to say what picture is theirs still.
This is not the place one-up-man-ship by the teams, You have a thread for that still.
This poll will end on Friday May 19th and locked and unstickyed.

With out anything else I give you the submissions this is in the same order it was on the other thread

Picture #1 (http://www.comstarnewsnetwork.com/contest/picture1.jpg)

Picture #2 (http://www.comstarnewsnetwork.com/contest/picture2.jpg)

Picture #3 (http://www.comstarnewsnetwork.com/contest/picture3.png)

Picture #4 (http://www.comstarnewsnetwork.com/contest/picture4.jpg)

Picture #5 (http://www.comstarnewsnetwork.com/contest/picture5.jpg)

naruto=pwnage
Sat, 05-13-2006, 12:42 AM
I vote 5. freakin hilarious

kAi
Sat, 05-13-2006, 12:56 AM
You all fail at typesetting.

I will allow it, just this once.

Yukimura
Sat, 05-13-2006, 01:55 AM
Wow, three referances to sexuality and Terra, he's just that awesome. Had to go with 1 since 2 and 4 were fairly similar. Hope someone's watching for a neg rep storm in ths thread, but I don't think anyone playing is that crass. GL to all!

Augury
Sat, 05-13-2006, 03:19 AM
Readers: If you haven't voted yet, it's probably best to vote before reading comments since they may have an unfair impact on your decision.

Hm, some feedback:
Voting on one here was a bit difficult mainly because I didn't find any of them hilarious :( Since I'm not much of a fan towards sexually-derived humor, I went with the one I thought was the most clever. Unfortunately, I didn't understand #3's joke so I didn't vote for it. A joke can be witty and well thought out, but if an audience (or some of the audience) doesn't understand it then it really fails its purpose.

References to idiosyncrasies within the community are usually good ways to gain votes, but in this case Terra seemed to be overused which hurt 1, 2, and 4. I thought #4 was a bit crass, and #2 too dull for much more than a chuckle. And although using community personalities as a driving force behind a joke can often be funny, I thought that the ones that could have omitted names (1, 3, and 5) - that is, the ones that didn't use forum members as their joke - should be given credit. In the end I was choosing between 1 and 5. #5's humor could've worked a lot better if the subject was kept anonymous; inserting Masa into the line really makes it more of an insult, so I eventually settled for voting #1.

(Terra, this is not to say that I thought the possibility of you attempting sex while free falling was not an insult, but... hm... no, it's not really insulting)

mage
Sat, 05-13-2006, 03:29 AM
voted #2. only one that made me laugh.

6Zabuza9
Sat, 05-13-2006, 04:20 AM
i voted #2, y is most of the pics about terra

el_boss
Sat, 05-13-2006, 05:48 AM
They are all great, I had a hard time choosing. I ended up voting for 4.

masamuneehs
Sat, 05-13-2006, 07:02 AM
For the last time:

I AM NOT FUCKING ITALIAN!

Oh and Pisa is set up so that almost everyone who vists sees the tower leaning towards the right. Obviously it leans differently from whichever side you're facing it from, but it's almost always seen and photographed as leaning towards the right.
So um, if my dick were crooked like the tower of Pisa that chick would be about ready to make it even MORE crooked...

Voted for #3. Probably because it tried to be funny on its own rather than bringing in some Gotwoot persona as a punchline. Guess my sense of humor is just fucked up.

kenren
Sat, 05-13-2006, 07:09 AM
picture 2 for me...that idea was superb...

Ryllharu
Sat, 05-13-2006, 07:14 AM
I had to go with 2. The text was hard to read until you zoomed in, but it was the only one I found really funny.

bagandscalpel
Sat, 05-13-2006, 07:21 AM
Good effort by all, though the thing that confused me was why 4/5 had to reference a couple of mods.

Perhaps I'm just not to keen on the whole inside-joke concept, however blatant it may be.

Turkish-S
Sat, 05-13-2006, 04:24 PM
Picture #4... Most funny i think. GJ all.

Splash!
Sat, 05-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Apart from #3 they are all really funny. Man, its really hard to pick one. In particular, I am completely torn apart between 2 and 5. Meh, guess i will go with #2

Assassin
Sat, 05-13-2006, 07:06 PM
i choose #1. #2 was also good, but the font sucks ass so that team loses points. #1 ftw!

Knives122
Sat, 05-13-2006, 07:32 PM
Good job everyone, as for the one I picked it was # 7. It overall had a great text and was the funniest out of 5........wait a minute.

ChaosK
Sat, 05-13-2006, 08:34 PM
Just wondering, why is it that I see a yellow bar inside the red bar on a vote? (1 of the pictures to vote on)

GhostKaGe
Sat, 05-13-2006, 09:07 PM
I voted #1 i found it funny since i been in a few situations where i needed a parachute as a condom simply wasn't big enough to catch my load :D

Lucifus
Sat, 05-13-2006, 11:29 PM
Lucifus whistles........:rolleyes:

Knives? Are you all right? But yea, I agree, 7 was pretty awesome. Seems like # 2 has it in the bag though.......

The Heretic Azazel
Sat, 05-13-2006, 11:48 PM
I didn't find any of them funny... sorry guys, you lose. I guess I'll go with number 3 since they didn't have their heads up Terra's ass, and it illicited a slight momentary chuckle from me.

Board of Command
Sun, 05-14-2006, 12:57 AM
When it was agreed upon that forum names are allowed, I didn't expect 4 of the 5 groups to base their subtitles on them...and 3 groups using Terra.

References to idiosyncrasies within the community are usually good ways to gain votes
True, but that's like making anything and everything into a Chuck Norris joke.

Augury
Sun, 05-14-2006, 05:13 AM
heh, perhaps i should've wrote that they're an easy way to gain votes, not a good way. I didn't mean to imply that that method is "positive," but rather that it works well and thus is good for that team.

Board of Command
Sun, 05-14-2006, 09:59 AM
Yeah, I meant to say what you just said. My wording was bad.

Honoko
Sun, 05-14-2006, 05:51 PM
Voted for 5. None of them were too funny.... #5's quote seemed the most relevant to the picture it was applied to. But I guess Terra's not a called a sexfiend for nothing ;)

samsonlonghair
Mon, 05-15-2006, 12:13 AM
Honestly, I expected better. Maybe everyone's trying a little too hard. I know that each team has some seriously funny people on it. Why not funnier captions?

Deadfire
Mon, 05-15-2006, 09:22 AM
Honestly, I expected better. Maybe everyone's trying a little too hard. I know that each team has some seriously funny people on it. Why not funnier captions?

I thought the same when I first looked at them, however I think they were all focused on the task, which is not to say they did bad. This is only the first event, and it gets harder each time

Snapshot #2 submission has a slight error in it, the team changed the resolution, nothing in the images itself was changed. More or less this was done to allow more text space. This issue was a gray area in this event. It was an honest mistake on their part as well as mines since i didn't address that issue in detail. I am giving them a -3 vote, as a penalty to make it a little fairer to the other teams. But I must remind you all this was a honest mistake.

Board of Command
Mon, 05-15-2006, 02:45 PM
Picture #2 also has 3 subtitles, not 1. That gives them much greater flexibility in what they can accomplish. They pretty much have a short story going on.

ChaosK
Mon, 05-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Picture #2 also has 3 subtitles, not 1. That gives them much greater flexibility in what they can accomplish. They pretty much have a short story going on.

have no limit on the amount of words you can have in it (However I wouldn't like to read a wall of words)

The definition of "Wall of words" isn't clear but there isn't a limit...All groups could've done a multiple line sub.

Kraco
Mon, 05-15-2006, 04:29 PM
I haven't posted in this thread before, because honestly I have no idea what: "This is not the place one-up-man-ship by the teams" even means, but what comes to the "wall of text", I'd think that's something that either bothers the audience (and they don't vote the candidate), or it doesn't bother (and they may vote). So, it's not really a rule that would be broken, but an aspect that might deter voters. In that sense I agree with Chaoskiddo.

Jadugar
Mon, 05-15-2006, 04:31 PM
It was an honest mistake on their part as well as mines since i didn't address that issue in detail. But I must remind you all this was a honest mistake.

The Submission will be:

Have nothing changed or added except for the sub-title(your adding a sub-title to the picture, NOTHING ELSE)

...............made some changes to the rules because someone didnt get it.

:rolleyes:

Assertn
Mon, 05-15-2006, 04:35 PM
It's starting to get easier to predict which team worked on which pic...at least for the pics in discussion.

Jadugar
Tue, 05-16-2006, 03:20 PM
Wow.

The poll is looking great.

What happens if there is a two way tie because I think we are certainly heading in that direction.

If picture 1 or 4 gets another vote it will tie with picture 2 ( considering the -3 vote penalty ).

It’s getting really interesting.

ChaosK
Tue, 05-16-2006, 05:26 PM
its tied right now.

RyougaZell
Tue, 05-16-2006, 06:41 PM
votings ends friday right?
they've been somewhat slow since yesterday... its like almost everybody has voted already... almost.

XanBcoo
Tue, 05-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Speaking for my team alone, it was hard to compromise with all the ideas we were throwing in. Everyone has different ideas of what's funny, and so the sub-par entries are probably just the cost of coordination.

I thought a lot of the entries were funny though, good job to the rest of the teams.

Kraco
Wed, 05-17-2006, 03:18 AM
Everyone has different ideas of what's funny, and so the sub-par entries are probably just the cost of coordination.

That's kind of self-contradicting sentence. Yet it still answers the question. I have to agree with you. And the fact the votes have dispersed among the pictures like they have further proves the point: Different people find different things funny.

Although in a certain sense I still think that maybe having all the groups have the same picture might have also worked. It would have been a more true competition. Now it's just not choosing between the subtitles but also choosing between the pictures, and the teams couldn't affect that at all.

Terracosmo
Wed, 05-17-2006, 03:23 AM
I like how three of the images are references to me and-

...oh that's probably old news anyway.

I vote for the one with the GW meetup. Awesome :D

XanBcoo
Wed, 05-17-2006, 03:30 AM
That's kind of self-contradicting sentence. Yet it still answers the question. I have to agree with you. And the fact the votes have dispersed among the pictures like they have further proves the point: Different people find different things funny.

I don't think I said that very well. What I meant was that we all had different ideas, but were forced to compromise because of 1.) The other team members and 2.) What we thought would win more votes or appeal to a greater audience. I think our creative edges were probably dulled because of those factors. The comedy seems more scripted and unnatural because it's the product of a group's ideas, instead of one "funny guy". Having said that, I'll reiterate that I thought everyone did a good job. A few of these made me laugh (aside from my own team's :p).

Phoenix20578
Wed, 05-17-2006, 02:56 PM
I like how three of the images are references to me and-

...oh that's probably old news anyway.

I vote for the one with the GW meetup. Awesome :D

LOL, i was wondering why Terra didnt comment on that yet :p

Deblas
Wed, 05-17-2006, 03:22 PM
Is that a Katon?! They do exist!! :eek:

Phoenix20578
Wed, 05-17-2006, 03:43 PM
Yes...we lurk in the shadows...so no one may know of our plans for world domination..err..i mean wining GWS... :cool:

RyougaZell
Wed, 05-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Is that a Katon?! They do exist!! :eek:

katon's? what are katon's?

oh yeah... I remember, those cool guys that took the bloody knife I used to backstab dra.... nevermind

Kraco
Wed, 05-17-2006, 04:33 PM
Be careful, guys. Don't forget:

This is not the place one-up-man-ship by the teams, You have a thread for that still.

Deadfire
Fri, 05-19-2006, 08:42 AM
well the results are in now,

Congrats to the team that did picture 2. The process for the next phase will be posted sometime later today

Kraco
Fri, 05-19-2006, 08:50 AM
Are you going to disclose which picture belonged to which team?

Deadfire
Fri, 05-19-2006, 09:08 AM
Are you going to disclose which picture belonged to which team?

I guess at this point it doesn't much matter

Pic 1- Team 4,
Pic 2- Team 5,
Pic 3- Team 1,
Pic 4- Team 3,
Pic 5- Team 2

Congrats Dropouts

Kraco
Fri, 05-19-2006, 09:21 AM
Aye. Congrats Dropouts. You won by a clear margin. No disputes there. No recounts required...

Witty encrypting there, DF...

PSJ
Fri, 05-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Congratulations to the Dropouts, never thought you did that one ;)

XanBcoo
Fri, 05-19-2006, 01:02 PM
Good job Dropouts, you deserved that one. Funny stuff.

Carnage
Fri, 05-19-2006, 02:17 PM
Congradulations dropouts! Im glad you actually made the reference to Terra funny!:D

Board of Command
Fri, 05-19-2006, 02:20 PM
Darn, once again a bunch of dropouts ruin me!

IFHTT
Fri, 05-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Good job to all teams and excellent show of good sportsmanship

Assertn
Fri, 05-19-2006, 02:45 PM
I guess at this point it doesn't much matter

Pic 1- Team 3,
Pic 2- Team 5,
Pic 3- Team 4,
Pic 4- Team 1,
Pic 5- Team 2

Congrats Dropouts

Gah... Team #s are hard to reference... why not just say the names of the teams?

Deblas
Fri, 05-19-2006, 02:59 PM
Great effort from all the teams. Pic 1 had me worried there for a while.

Phoenix20578
Fri, 05-19-2006, 03:05 PM
LOL, I'm glad my team warented your concern Deblas. I thought we accually had you for a minute :cool:

Anyway, congrats, you guys deserve it

Knives122
Fri, 05-19-2006, 03:10 PM
Gah... Team #s are hard to reference... why not just say the names of the teams?

B/c then that would give the teams away.....and we wouldn't want that.

RyougaZell
Fri, 05-19-2006, 03:29 PM
Personally, I liked the first one.
Because it was, personally, the toughest one.

dragonrage
Fri, 05-19-2006, 03:57 PM
So that it is no longer a secret.

Picture 1: ( Team Katon ) Team #4

Picture 2: ( THE DROUPOUT CREW ) Team #5

Picture 3: ( Team Headshot ) Team #1

Picture 4: ( The Purple Sharkoons ) Team #3

Picture 5: ( The Fockers ) Team #2

Thanks all.

Yeah picture 1 was the toughest and the idea was nice. Good job. Personally I would have enjoyed working with picture 4 or 5, from the moment I saw them ideas poped into my head ( Dumbass Ideas :D ). Good job to all. It was a weird that 3 outa 5 pics had refferences to terra. When i saw that i was like oh shit.

Edit : my deepest appologises to all teams for my fuck up.

Knives122
Fri, 05-19-2006, 04:18 PM
My team didn't have picture 1..............

dragonrage
Fri, 05-19-2006, 04:37 PM
i know now i was caught by DeadFire's encryption. Will edit it so it will be correct.

Deadfire
Fri, 05-19-2006, 04:39 PM
lol, it's interesting to think about...

Anyways I edited my post to relect the real teams that did the pictures, enjoy

Assertn
Fri, 05-19-2006, 10:05 PM
B/c then that would give the teams away.....and we wouldn't want that.

Give what away? The connection between team # and name which was identified in another thread?