PDA

View Full Version : Uncut Naruto DVD on sale July 4, 2006

RyougaZell
Thu, 04-27-2006, 01:35 PM
I found this while browsing at Amazon.

-> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FFL35Q/qid=1146162495/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-2712271-1924123?s=dvd&v=glance&n=130

The first 13 episodes of Naruto on an uncut-dvd boxset.

Seems Viz hasn't forgotten about the fans.
No box art is available yet, unfortunately.

The boxset comes in two versions. Normal and special.
The special edition just contains a headband and wrist cuffs.

Normal box will cost 38dlls (at amazon).
Special box will cost 53dlls (at amazon).

DVD Features of the special edition: (for normal just don't count the HB and wrist cuff)

DVD Features:
Available Subtitles: English
Available Audio Tracks: Japanese (Unknown Format), English (Unknown Format)
13 original and uncut episodes on three discs
Includes original audio tracks and original series soundtracks
Japanese with optional English subtitles or English dubbed
Storyboards booklet
Collectible gold-foil embossed box
Naruto headband and wrist cuff
Limited edition: only 15,000 copies printed

Dunno how they will handle the english track, due to the dub having cut scenes, but if I buy this set I really don't plan hearing that track.

Thoughts?

PS:
I searched the forums, and did not found word of this.

samsonlonghair
Thu, 04-27-2006, 02:12 PM
My first thought was "bootleg" but this seems legit.

RyougaZell
Thu, 04-27-2006, 03:05 PM
My first thought was "bootleg" but this seems legit.

Seems? hehehe
Viz isn't legit now?

(Sorry, could not resist :D )

XanBcoo
Thu, 04-27-2006, 05:08 PM
The boxset comes in two versions. Normal and special.
The special edition just contains a headband and wrist cuffs.

Normal box will cost 38dlls (at amazon).
Special box will cost 53dlls (at amazon).

Feckin awesome. I hope the later boxsets come with this deal. I'd love to get a head protector and wrist cuffs along with the 3rd Chuunin exam episodes for 50 dollars.

aznimperialx
Thu, 04-27-2006, 05:11 PM
It looks like a good deal, 13 eps for 40bucks
i think i forgot, but what are the wrist cuffs in naruto?

RyougaZell
Thu, 04-27-2006, 06:26 PM
It looks like a good deal, 13 eps for 40bucks
i think i forgot, but what are the wrist cuffs in naruto?

I believe gloves like Kakashi's

mage
Thu, 04-27-2006, 08:48 PM
Dunno how they will handle the english track, due to the dub having cut scenes, but if I buy this set I really don't plan hearing that track.

they have the uncut scenes dubbed as well, but they only show the cut episodes on tv.

GLS
Thu, 04-27-2006, 08:54 PM
I'll be picking this up. With Viz handling Bleach now, I think it'd be neat if they did the same thing for that.
Pictures of the box (which looks pretty good, I think) and the other goodies can be seen at http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/db4=OXB3EappK1PGSG/browse/item/69878/4/0/0

darkmetal505
Sat, 04-29-2006, 10:50 PM
I'd really like to get this. However I'm not sure if it is worth the 50 bucks since I have the Aone releases.

XanBcoo
Sat, 04-29-2006, 11:06 PM
I'd really like to get this. However I'm not sure if it is worth the 50 bucks since I have the Aone releases.
Well really, what's the point to buying anime if you can just download it? I figure if I don't get this box set then I'll at least get the Rock Lee fight episodes in the spirit of "supporting the industry". Plus, I like the dub, so it'll be cool to have the official U.S. DVD and dub audio track. Very worth it imo.

Maverick-DBZ-
Sun, 04-30-2006, 02:13 AM
I'll just grab the normal version since the headband and wrist cuffs don't interest me. ;)

samsonlonghair
Mon, 05-01-2006, 02:07 AM
I think I agree with Maverick; I see no need to dress like a character. I'll spend a good deal of money on anime DVDs to support the industry, but if I ever start getting into cosplay I'll put a bullet in my head.

XanBcoo
Mon, 05-01-2006, 02:31 AM
I'd love a head protector and the gloves. Of course I disagree with the idea of cosplay as well, so I wouldn't ever wear them in public. Never. When I'm at home though...

Or is that worse? :confused:

Psyke
Mon, 05-01-2006, 06:02 AM
I'd love a head protector and the gloves. Of course I disagree with the idea of cosplay as well, so I wouldn't ever wear them in public. Never. When I'm at home though...

Or is that worse? :confused:

Haha well I have a Konoha head protector, which I pin on my notice board, among other stuff I display. It's fun to wear and pretend for a while, but anything more than that will really be weird. :p

samsonlonghair
Sun, 05-14-2006, 11:42 PM
I just got a second job for the summer that pays double what my normal job pays. Once I have all my bills paid off and insure my car I can afford to buy more anime. Guess what's first on my list (except maybe Voltron).

DarthEnderX
Thu, 07-06-2006, 11:36 PM
My copy of this just came in today. Got the regular one without the headbands.

Good stuff. Text in the subtitles is like the TW subs(yellow with black outline), very easy to read.

Plays the original japanese openings and endings reguardless of if your watching it dubbed or subbed(*sniff* so good to hear Wind again).

I think the dub might actually be even better than on TV. I can't be certain, but Naruto doesn't seem to say "Believe it!" as much.

And the subs are just great. Couldn't find anything wrong with them. They pretty much use the same words as the dub. So Jonin, Genin, Hokage etc. And "translated attack" Jutsu for attacks.

All in all, nothing to complain about.

Animeniax
Fri, 07-07-2006, 09:56 AM
DarthEnder, do the openings and endings include the karaoke lyrics? Are signs and building names translated within the animation too?

I'm buying this set even though I already have the AnimeOne-Anbu subs. We need to support the industry and companies like Viz so they can do it right, instead of hackjob dubs like other companies do when bringing anime to the US market. I can understand if some of you younger guys who still make around minimum wage can't cover it (no joke, we've all been there), but for the rest of you leeches, (Grandpa Simpson voice) for shame!!!

DarthEnderX
Fri, 07-07-2006, 11:59 PM
No and no.

There's no karaoke. Only translations of the lyrics if you have subs on.

And nothing that isn't spoken aloud is translated. So if it's a sign, you have no idea what is says.

I'm buying this set even though I already have the AnimeOne-Anbu subs. We need to support the industry and companies like Viz so they can do it right, instead of hackjob dubs like other companies do when bringing anime to the US market.Exactly. I didn't NEED to buy these DVDs, but if you don't support the people who do things RIGHT, then you end up with more companies doing the One Piece thing.

XanBcoo
Wed, 07-12-2006, 10:14 AM
I think the dub might actually be even better than on TV. I can't be certain, but Naruto doesn't seem to say "Believe it!" as much.
I'm pretty certain they only added in the stuff edited out of the TV versions, and didn't take out previous dialogue. In reality, Naruto never said "believe it" that much anyway, but "harcore fans" decided they didn't like it for whatever reason and completely overexaggerated the matter.

Like you, I can't be certain, but based on what I've heard I'm 99% they made no other changes other than what was edited off of TV.

DDBen
Tue, 07-18-2006, 02:29 PM
Dark Ender are you sure the DVD's don't have 2 sets of subs? One for the edited for TV croud and a second for the truely uncut subs. This has been done on many uncut DVD's including Yuyu Hakisho for example.

The fact you said that the subs are very close if not identical to the dub is a big hint that those likely are not the real uncut subs considering Naruto didn't say "Believe it" in the orignal and rather stated "becaise thats my way of the Ninja" atleast from what I recall.

mage
Tue, 07-18-2006, 02:49 PM
The fact you said that the subs are very close if not identical to the dub is a big hint that those likely are not the real uncut subs considering Naruto didn't say "Believe it" in the orignal and rather stated "becaise thats my way of the Ninja" atleast from what I recall.
no, they replaced "dattebayo" with "believe it," since he says dattebayo every 10 seconds.

DDBen
Tue, 07-18-2006, 09:00 PM
no, they replaced "dattebayo" with "believe it," since he says dattebayo every 10 seconds.

Mage unless you own the uncut boxed set then this question is not aimed at you in the slightest. I'm well aware the Toonami version constantly states Believe it the question is reguarding the uncut subs as well as if there is a uncut dub track included.

XanBcoo
Thu, 07-20-2006, 09:39 AM
Mage unless you own the uncut boxed set then this question is not aimed at you in the slightest. I'm well aware the Toonami version constantly states Believe it the question is reguarding the uncut subs as well as if there is a uncut dub track included.
Mage was right. "Beleive it" was the English replacement for "Dattebayo" (which IS said in the original dialogue) and not for "That is my way of the ninja". "Beleive it" is not an edit, it's a translation.

What Darthender was saying is that the subs use the English translations for Japanese terms like "dattebayo" or the technique names. The episodes and dialogue themselves are unedited.

bagandscalpel
Thu, 07-20-2006, 09:49 AM
What Darthender was saying is that the subs use the English translations for Japanese terms like "dattebayo" or the technique names. The episodes and dialogue themselves are unedited.

Heh, so I've still got to put up with the "EVIL EYE" nonsense? Or, even better, the "VALENTINE ATTACK." Oh well, Viz was good at raping the manga in that manner...

XanBcoo
Thu, 07-20-2006, 10:05 AM
Heh, so I've still got to put up with the "EVIL EYE" nonsense? Or, even better, the "VALENTINE ATTACK." Oh well, Viz was good at raping the manga in that manner...
lol, that was JUST the manga. Viz has been pretty awesome about coming up with good/relevant/faithful attack translations in the dub (for example, "Shadow Clone Jutsu" which is an almost direct translation of "Kage Bunshin no Jutsu" instead of "Art of the Doppleganger" like they use in the manga). But again, those are just matters of translation, not of editting.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 07-20-2006, 08:49 PM
There's definatly only one set of subtitles. For the uncut version.

When I say he says "Believe it" less, I mean, I watched the dub on TV, and the dub on the uncut DVDs doesn't seem to say it as much.

As has been mentioned, it's supposed to represent "dattebayo". But Naruto say's "dattebayo" every other sentence. On the DVDs, he sometimes goes entire episodes without saying "believe it!".

Those are the dubs. As far as the subs concerned, he neither says "dattebayo" OR "believe it!" in the subs on the disc. "dattebayo" is simply ignored in the translations in the subs. Pretty much exactly like all fansubbers have been doing it.

As far as "That's my way of the ninja" line is concerned, Naruto doesn't even use that line for the first time till the 3rd round of the Chuunin exam. So it's not in this set.

And what Xan says about the attacks is right.

They say things like "Replacement Jutsu" and thankfully actually use "Sharingan" and "Genin" and "Hokage".

DDBen
Thu, 07-20-2006, 11:29 PM
Fair enough I certainly haven't watched the subs of the first 13 episodes in forever and I definatly don't remember him saying "Believe it" every other sentence at any point in the series.

Side note this box set is available significantly cheaper with free S&H for the same version here.

http://search.deepdiscountdvd.com/search?p=Q&ts=custom&w=Naruto&search.x=0&search.y=0

While the regular version is only $33.26 as opposed to Amazons $36.99 the special edition is much cheaper listed for $46.57 instead of $60.99. atleast for any looking to buy this.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 07-23-2006, 12:38 PM
Basically, I'll make a little chart.

1. Original Voice
2. Fansubs
3. American Dub(TV and DVD)
4. Subs on Uncut DVD

1. Says Dattebayo after every other sentence.
2. Nothing. phase is simply ignored.
3. Occasionally says "Believe it!" where Dattebayo is used.
4. Nothing. Phrase is ignored.

1. Attack names are completely in japanese(obviously)(ex. Kage bunshin no jitsu)
2. Attacks vary based on sub from completely english to completely japanese(ex. Shadow Replication Technique to Kage bunshin no jitsu)
3. First part of attack is translated, ending in Jutsu(ex. Shadow Clone Jutsu)
4. Same as 3.

Hope that makes things easy.

mitsui
Fri, 08-11-2006, 03:02 AM
hi, i've been reading all posts in this thread. it seems the only difference in the uncut & TV & Fansubbed versions are subtitles, words used & dubbing?

is that all the difference? any other differences like in audio (OP & ED songs, BGM, Japanese Voice acting)? how about in video? did they add extra scenes, fight scenes? how about humor, bathroom jokes & ecchii stuff? or any other features?
what other differences is there between uncut to TV or uncut to Fansubbed versions?

just like to know first before purchasing or getting the uncut version. if there isn't much difference, then i'm not going to get one.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 08-25-2006, 12:04 AM
There's no difference between the uncut DVDs and the stuff you get from fansubbers, other than the translations.

There's several differences between the uncut DVDs, and the episodes as they air on television. The openings/endings are different. Some of the blood is edited out, and yes, a couple scenes are clipped. Much less so than with most anime, but still, there are cuts. Some for violence, some for sexual content. For example, underwear added to the Sexy Jutsu. Or Anko's scene where she stabbed the kunai through her own hand into Orochimaru's into the tree, being clipped to basically just show the pained expression on her face, etc.

kimbap629
Sat, 09-23-2006, 01:56 PM
well, i wonder if the filler epi will get released on dvd's...that would be pretty sneaky of them consider that fillers have been goin on from epi 130s up until now (202 was the most recent)...imagine how many dvd's they'll release and how much $ they'll be makin...

but i have to say, the "uncut" dvd cover looks pretty nice. maybe it'll use the original jpn OP and EN instead of the lame rock and roll thing they're using on the US dub tv version..

samsonlonghair
Tue, 09-26-2006, 09:23 AM
That's a good question. I haven't bought my DVDs yet. Is the original opening/ending audio supplied for the uncut version?

DarthEnderX
Fri, 09-29-2006, 12:28 AM
The openings endings are the japanese versions. Still in japanese.

joekinplaya
Wed, 10-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Well really, what's the point to buying anime if you can just download it? I figure if I don't get this box set then I'll at least get the Rock Lee fight episodes in the spirit of "supporting the industry". Plus, I like the dub, so it'll be cool to have the official U.S. DVD and dub audio track. Very worth it imo.
Even if aone is top quality version you can download, the DVD quality still owns ANY quality that you can download on the computer. Also, the sound quality is much better on the DVD set too. In some ways, it IS worth money to buy these... However, it's not like you'll watch the same 13 episodes for the rest of your lives... You should just rent it and watch whenever you want that way instead of wasting $40-$50 for a DVD set which you will forget about in couple of months. Honestly, with the new fillers expected to end soon, it's not worth getting the first 13 episodes when you have better things coming up... Besides, nothing special to watch for the first 13. I only want to see the Naruto vs Sasuke in the DVD quality... that will be amazing.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 12-04-2006, 01:35 AM
Volume 2 comes out tomarrow. Got mine preordered from Amazon.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 12-11-2007, 05:39 AM
Haven't talked about these in awhile. Just got Volume 5 earlier this week.

I just felt like mentioning that this volume marked the first time I noticed "not for cartoon network" language in the uncut DVDs and I saw the phrases "bitch" and "goddamn" this time around.

Which is, of course, awsome.