PDA

View Full Version : Member Of The Month

Deadfire
Sat, 04-22-2006, 12:09 PM
Well, it's been awhile since I've asked anything of the forum but this is one idea I have.

It is as the title states it is, basically the forum Mods would pick 5 members of the forum that were active and had contributed to discussions with very good results. As well picking 5 members that they feel that have displayed themselves as "model" members of this forum. After the Mods have agreed on 5 (or less) options a vote will be posted in the GD as a sticky for everyone here to vote. The prize is trivial to me as I'm not sure of what kind of prizes there can be. Thus this is posted in the suggestion forum for other people's ideas on this as well to be noted by our staff

Thanks,

Deadfire

xDarkMaster
Sat, 04-22-2006, 12:44 PM
While I like the idea, this will definitely cause arguments. Arguments about favoritism, and who didn't vote for who, and who is a pet of who and that's why they got nominated etc...

Maybe if the mods just picked one it would be fairer. However, even this will bring up the problem, how often can you be chosen?

ChaosK
Sat, 04-22-2006, 12:54 PM
We could do GW survivor again with all the people who joined in a certain year...

Assassin
Sat, 04-22-2006, 07:07 PM
its an intresting prospect, and it might even be motivation for members to better themselves. Not to mention it could help make the forums more active. But xDM brings up some valid concerns.

Im willing to look further into it, but give me a more detailed version (im too lazy to deal with the specifics). Think up some possible nomination criteria, judging methods and prizes/rewards, as well as how it would actualy play out. Once you have that, we'll talk it over in the mod lounge and see if its worth a shot.

One possibility would be letting the members nominate a few people, picking 4 or 5 of those people and then deciding whose been a good little boy or girl that month. Naturally this would take place in the last week or so of each month, and the winner (if you wanna call it that) would have the title for the following month.

However, don't get your hopes up just cuz of my post. The Dark Lord has a nasty habit of disregarding many of our suggestions, even the ones the mods agree with.

masamuneehs
Sat, 04-22-2006, 07:33 PM
The Dark Lord has a nasty habbit of disregarding many of our suggestions, even the ones the mods agree with.

The eye is watching you from Mordor! Dun dun dun! :eek:

Seriously though, i like this idea, but i also would like to see a more concrete structure laid out before considering whether to implement it or not. Either the mods nominating several users and having everyone vote on it or vice-versa sound plausible.
But I'm clueless about what prize to give out. Certainly not temporary modship, that's for sure. Maybe a custom title for a month?

Assassin
Sat, 04-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Temporary modship is out of the question. What we could have is an artificial increase in rep, say 100 rep points or so. Maybe a list on the main page with all the members of the month recorded there or something. IRC stuff is also an option...temp hops would be great. It would make the irc channel more lively, and since the forum rules dont apply, the winners can have some fun with thier powers.

Munsu
Sat, 04-22-2006, 10:56 PM
Meh, nobody cares about the "model member", we just want to make fun of the shitty ones.

xDarkMaster
Sat, 04-22-2006, 10:59 PM
That's true, we could have a wall of shame to discourage spamming and not thinking before you post.

Deadfire
Sat, 04-22-2006, 11:24 PM
Assassin, you do give some very good points this does need more of a planning step then anything, My first post was more to "test the waters" with the idea to see how it stood with people. The reason for it is how you said I wish to do exactly that using a system like this as it will help to a general effect.

As XDM pointed out in how to do it is the hardest part, as we just can't have everyone voting for themselves and having this contest of favoritism, more so then one of worth. We should have a voting system that uses the membership and Modship at different levels of the process. My current system as I think about it is this

Nomination: This is down by the Mods of the forum in which there are 7-10 Members chosen for the month based on the criteria.

Criteria: consists of conduct on the forum and to others, value of those members discussions, active and had not got warned during the month. Basically those that stand out for good reasons

Selection methods: After 7-10 members are selected the Mods themselves decide on 5 to go to the main voting phase. The main voting phase is when GW decides, as it will be a poll in the GD done on those members. The winner is the winner, in case of a tie the Mods may either give dual honor or pick. This would take place in the last week or so of each month, and the winner would have the title for the following month.

Prizes/Rewards: As of this moment we don't really know what can be given let us look at what we can do

IRC Powers (Such as half-ops)
Custom Title
Temp Rep (or permanent)
Custom Avatar/Sig (This is depending on our local artists)
Name added to a list of some kind (Either on the Front page or other wise)
And others I haven't said if any

What do you all think of that?

Meh, nobody cares about the "model member", we just want to make fun of the shitty ones.

Well we could have a vote on that to if you want, although I really don't know what you could give that guy other then a ban.

Honoko
Sat, 04-22-2006, 11:30 PM
I'm in favor of making fun of the shitty posters rather than nominating a model member. To me, "model members" are already thoroughly demonstrated through the rep system. But for some reason, the shitty posters are undeterred by their crappy reps and continue to be shitty posters. I don't know why. Is there a way to quarantine these people into a single thread on GW? Like, ban them from most of the site except for one place temporarily and see how that goes?

It is, of course, very possible that I am merely fantasizing and must learn how to read dumbass posts in a more graceful manner.

Deadfire
Sat, 04-22-2006, 11:32 PM
I'm in favor of making fun of the shitty posters rather than nominating a model member. To me, "model members" are already thoroughly demonstrated through the rep system. But for some reason, the shitty posters are undeterred by their crappy reps and continue to be shitty posters. I don't know why. Is there a way to quarantine these people into a single thread on GW? Like, ban them from most of the site except for one place temporarily and see how that goes?

It is, of course, very possible that I am merely fantasizing and must learn how to read dumbass posts in a more graceful manner.

It's called the Naruto Forums..... :p

Anyways I'm happy with anything to help get rid of those bad posters, this gives them at least something to shoot for in becoming better posters and be rewarded for it

Honoko
Sat, 04-22-2006, 11:35 PM
LOL... you're right. What was I thinking?

Assassin
Sat, 04-22-2006, 11:49 PM
The 'making fun of shitty posters' idea can't really go further then just that - making fun of then. If we were to have some sort of list for shitty posters, there are those who would strive to get on that list, so they can pretend thier important. That would result it more spamming, spoiling and general rule breaking, and wouldn't really help at all.

Honoko
Sun, 04-23-2006, 12:35 AM
The 'making fun of shitty posters' idea can't really go further then just that - making fun of then. If we were to have some sort of list for shitty posters, there are those who would strive to get on that list, so they can pretend thier important. That would result it more spamming, spoiling and general rule breaking, and wouldn't really help at all.
Well, that's why I suggested a quarantine ;) If they're stuck in one thread and unable to post anywhere else for say, a week or two, they can pretend to be important and spam in there all they want and I really wouldn't care because I wouldn't bother going into that area to waste my time reading stupid posts. And to prevent the forums from cluttering up, you can just delete whole threads in there monthly or something. Their posts are useless anyway.

Whether or not this is a programmable feature, I have no idea. Regardless, I'm perfectly content with just imagining the possibilities :D I highly doubt something like this would ever be implemented. But wouldn't it be nice? ^^v

masamuneehs
Sun, 04-23-2006, 05:16 AM
i am so down for a 'crappy user of the month' where that user gets a temp ban (like a month long maybe?) if they're selected by everyone as being the crappy user of the month.

but i'd also like to have some positive vibes. I know that the Rep system is supposed to do all of the 'you're good, you're bad' sorting, but if we're going to have a contest with negative connotations it seems sorta whack and cruel to not try to do something special to reward those who put in an extra effort for that month.

Deadfire
Mon, 04-24-2006, 10:44 AM
So two contests (if you can call it that) for Best and Worse Gotwoot user. Should the voting system be the same for both then? or different?

kAi
Mon, 04-24-2006, 08:07 PM
The idea is not to bad, but will it get old fast or will it continue to go?

I wouldn't mind bringing back some of the older games that we used to have here, could be fun. Survivor 06.

ChaosK
Mon, 04-24-2006, 09:02 PM
Well we could have a vote on that to if you want, although I really don't know what you could give that guy other then a ban.

"title: Shittiest Poster of the Month" with a 1 week ban or something. And ban them from IRC.

Assassin
Mon, 04-24-2006, 10:20 PM
Someone should do another GW Survivor. One of you guys thats knows the rules, take the initiative.

2:25
Tue, 04-25-2006, 01:54 AM
This sounds like it's gonna take a bit of work.
What are the criteria?

Assertn
Thu, 04-27-2006, 05:58 PM
IRC Powers (Such as half-ops)
Custom Title
Temp Rep (or permanent)
Custom Avatar/Sig (This is depending on our local artists)
Name added to a list of some kind (Either on the Front page or other wise)
And others I haven't said if any

What do you all think of that?
Lame. I already have most of those things :)

ChaosK
Thu, 04-27-2006, 07:18 PM
You have irc powers and a custom title...how is that most things?

Also, can a mod even be a winner? :confused:

Why don't you suggest some prizes then?

Kraco
Fri, 04-28-2006, 02:44 AM
Everybody has temp rep (except some new people who have no rep). The rep comes and goes, so some of it is always temp. And considering there are no default sigs or avatars (unless you count emptiness), Assertn also has those customized. He also has his name in a list of somekind, the mods list... (har har).

Seriously, though, I think a custom title (chosen by the winner himself) is pretty much the only viable prize there could be. If the admins are willing to grant such to an ordinary member. When even the mods have only a boring "moderator" title instead of one of their own choosing, I'm not so sure they are happy with the idea of dealing out those.

Yukimura
Fri, 04-28-2006, 03:37 AM
I'm a fan of the shit poster of the month idea, I love reading bad things and laughing at the ass that wrote them. However I either have no sense of judgement or rarely browse forums with bad posters, since I rarely see posts that I think are really bad, except noobs who didn't read the rules and don't have a lick of common sense (I didn't read all the rules, but I don't think it's that hard to not be an idiot).

However, back to good poster of the month, even if their's no "good" prize for the winner, just recognizing them and displaying why they are a good poster might be a help to other people who want to be good posters. I've been trying to figure out what makes a post good and useful since I got here and I fall on my ass all the time, a big recognizeable role model might help others in similar situations.

Deadfire
Fri, 04-28-2006, 08:19 AM
Lame. I already have most of those things :)

LOL, I wish i did :)

Also, can a mod even be a winner? :confused:

It's possible

Everybody has temp rep (except some new people who have no rep). The rep comes and goes, so some of it is always temp. And considering there are no default sigs or avatars (unless you count emptiness), Assertn also has those customized. He also has his name in a list of somekind, the mods list... (har har).

Seriously, though, I think a custom title (chosen by the winner himself) is pretty much the only viable prize there could be. If the admins are willing to grant such to an ordinary member. When even the mods have only a boring "moderator" title instead of one of their own choosing, I'm not so sure they are happy with the idea of dealing out those.

Well, you are right being limited with the resources on hand, sort of doesn't leave much to think about. Look at it this way, a prize is what you make it, what ever it is. Sort of like life is what you make of it, If you go to a movie thinking its crap you will come out thinking the same. The point I guess is what ever the prize turns out to be it's up to the end-user to think it's worth it

I'm a fan of the shit poster of the month idea, I love reading bad things and laughing at the ass that wrote them. However I either have no sense of judgement or rarely browse forums with bad posters, since I rarely see posts that I think are really bad, except noobs who didn't read the rules and don't have a lick of common sense (I didn't read all the rules, but I don't think it's that hard to not be an idiot).

However, back to good poster of the month, even if their's no "good" prize for the winner, just recognizing them and displaying why they are a good poster might be a help to other people who want to be good posters. I've been trying to figure out what makes a post good and useful since I got here and I fall on my ass all the time, a big recognizeable role model might help others in similar situations.

On the first point I agree but me and the other Mods can't just leave these posts un-edited and let everyone flame the living daylights out of him. There will be a issue, with no good side to look at it. Of course making like a "wall of shame" to display those posts us Mods have found to be the worst posts ever made here, that idea I wouldn't have any problems with. On your second point A good poster does raise the bar, and recognizing this is one of those things I wanted to get across with this idea. If everyone gave a little more effort in their posts not to be shit, everyone would follow. Their maybe those that don't but for the most part it helps the forum finding new members that will be more likely to post like the rest of the forum.

ChaosK
Fri, 04-28-2006, 04:15 PM
Everybody has temp rep (except some new people who have no rep). The rep comes and goes, so some of it is always temp.

I think Deadfire meant temp inflated rep...like an extra stacked 500 or something, that nobody could subtract from for the month, though I'm not sure where he was going with this.

And considering there are no default sigs or avatars (unless you count emptiness)

I thought this meant a sig+ava showing advertising the person is the best/shittiest poster of the month.

Kraco
Fri, 04-28-2006, 04:51 PM
I think the sig/avatar meant that one of the badass gifted people here would volunteer to make a nice new combo for the winner. However, there are still lots of people here who simply prefer to make their own just for the fun of doing it.

Well, I was just screwing around with that post of mine, anyway. A bad habit. To be serious, temp rep has the drawback that if it's temp, it will be taken away at some point. I don't know how nice it would be to get 500 boost, and then after a month lose it. Losing it would probably suck more than getting it gladdened.

ChaosK
Sat, 04-29-2006, 03:18 PM
I'm just explaining what I think he meant...as far as I'm concerned it seems like Deadfire is trying anything as a prize.

mage
Sat, 04-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Losing it would probably suck more than getting it gladdened.
you think so?

XanBcoo
Sat, 04-29-2006, 05:21 PM
I think that the winner should receive a temporary custom title. A custom title seems to be a really good prize imo, but if this is really a monthly thing, then after a few months everyone and their dog would have a custom title. Giving out a title like "Member of the Month" to each month's winner would be cool, just so long as they lost it when the next winner was chosen.

xDarkMaster
Sat, 04-29-2006, 05:36 PM
The problem with a custom title is that soon anyone that's anyone will have a custom title when they reach 2500 rep. This is also assuming that no noobs will win, so for a reg poster to win this would be useless.

Kraco
Sat, 04-29-2006, 05:47 PM
Dunno. I have visited forums where custom titles are either free to choose right from the beginning, or after some post count, or where admins dictate them independently for the members, without colsulting the recipients (this produces quite interesting and crazy results). To be frank, it's more interesting than the regular system, which is in use here. After all, custom titles are creativity whereas a purely post count dependent system is just another post count meter, and thus kind of redundant once you have seen all the available titles.

Edit: Uh... I realise this wasn't exactly an appropriate response to your post, xDarkMaster, now that I read it more carefully. Well, anyway, 2500 is quite high a number...

Deadfire
Sat, 04-29-2006, 06:37 PM
I think the sig/avatar meant that one of the badass gifted people here would volunteer to make a nice new combo for the winner. However, there are still lots of people here who simply prefer to make their own just for the fun of doing it.

Well, I was just screwing around with that post of mine, anyway. A bad habit. To be serious, temp rep has the drawback that if it's temp, it will be taken away at some point. I don't know how nice it would be to get 500 boost, and then after a month lose it. Losing it would probably suck more than getting it gladdened.

Well the rep system is not one that should be depended on to make people happy. Remember what Complich8 said about this. To give positive rep to someone would have the same effect to that person as it would normally. To some will be very happy, and others could care less

you think so?

Case and point (How mage wrote a 3 word post that I agree with and am not going to count as a shit post I don't know.) Rep is what you make out of it. Like what I said before a reaction from a prize will differ from person-to-person. It depends of what they feel about it.

I think that the winner should receive a temporary custom title. A custom title seems to be a really good prize imo, but if this is really a monthly thing, then after a few months everyone and their dog would have a custom title. Giving out a title like "Member of the Month" to each month's winner would be cool, just so long as they lost it when the next winner was chosen.

A Custom title has its ups as well, and yes if we start handing them out every month it will get to a point that almost everyone would have one. Thus making something like this useless. Everyone right now would love this type of thing right now, however the vice makes this a little harder to do as we look at it more

The problem with a custom title is that soon anyone that's anyone will have a custom title when they reach 2500 rep. This is also assuming that no noobs will win, so for a reg poster to win this would be useless.

XDM as the guy has the most Rep out of everyone you should see that it can take a very long time for this to happen, and as the rep system grows in it's use we can see people will develop their own system on giving rep, so you can lose a lot of your rep quickly if your not careful. People may get jealous of your rep and may give you negative rep because of it. It may not happen in that way but it's possible.

Dunno. I have visited forums where custom titles are either free to choose right from the beginning, or after some post count, or where admins dictate them independently for the members, without colsulting the recipients (this produces quite interesting and crazy results). To be frank, it's more interesting than the regular system, which is in use here. After all, custom titles are creativity whereas a purely post count dependent system is just another post count meter, and thus kind of redundant once you have seen all the available titles.

This is very true, however here we try at least to keep an even ground for everyone to walk on. To give something as a prize it must at least be on that ground and above it.

I purpose this make up a prize not using my list, see what we can get out of everyone else's heads. This can help with other things as well and not just this. I will continue to read and weigh your opinions as your input helps these forums become better.

XanBcoo
Sat, 04-29-2006, 06:44 PM
That's why I think it's a good idea to have a specialized custom title (or even an avatar or sig) for the winner. Something that says "I won the member/worst poster of the month contest this month". That way it would separate itself from all the other custom titles out there. If the prize was permanent, we'd get more and more people with custom titles, larger sigs, special privillages, or what have you every single month (or whenever this contest would take place).

I dunno, I don't think any permanent prize would be a good idea because with a contest like this after a while it wouldn't be special anymore - assuming its held more than once.

A Custom title has its ups as well, and yes if we start handing them out every month it will get to a point that almost everyone would have one. Thus making something like this useless. Everyone right now would love this type of thing right now, however the vice makes this a little harder to do as we look at it more
I think you missed the point of my suggestion. I was using the custom title as an example, but what I'm saying could be used for any prize. Yeah, you "start handing out" prizes to the winners, but take the prize away when a new winner is chosen, making it relevent only to the current winner. That way you wouldn't have an overflow of people with special privillages after only a few months.

mage
Sat, 04-29-2006, 08:07 PM
If you give one person per month a custom title, there would only be twelve people with new titles in a whole year. The forum would hardly be overflowing with them. I doubt these contests would last more than 2-3 months, anyway.

Kraco
Sun, 04-30-2006, 03:22 AM
This time I have to agree with mage, although considering my previous post, it's probably no surprise.

And I don't still see what's the downside of custom titles, even permanent? Now only admins have them, that is, a few people. And maybe somebody else I don't remember right now. Is a custom title what makes an admin an admin? I seriously doubt that. Maybe the people defending the extreme rarity of custom titles hope to miraculously one day get one, and thus be different than 99.9% of others...

Deadfire
Mon, 05-01-2006, 10:11 AM
This time I have to agree with mage, although considering my previous post, it's probably no surprise.

And I don't still see what's the downside of custom titles, even permanent? Now only admins have them, that is, a few people. And maybe somebody else I don't remember right now. Is a custom title what makes an admin an admin? I seriously doubt that. Maybe the people defending the extreme rarity of custom titles hope to miraculously one day get one, and thus be different than 99.9% of others...

Granted that we currently have more then 50 active members posting, a year as I have seen brings alot of new posts as well so mage is right as well. More to the point however is only a custom title worth it?

Honoko
Mon, 05-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Granted that we currently have more then 50 active members posting, a year as I have seen brings alot of new posts as well so mage is right as well. More to the point however is only a custom title worth it?
It would be for me! But then, I am easily amused.

complich8
Mon, 05-01-2006, 04:14 PM
yeah, there's other forums out there that let people set custom titles by default... we're just jerks ;).

I like the idea of titles as rewards, it encourages people but doesn't break things to implement.

And yeah, I think the fear that the place will be overrun by users with custom titles is kind of ... umm ... incredibly stupid. It's not like it's that big a deal, it's just a nice little customization, sort of an acknowledgement that you're not the average title-less schmuck :p.

Assertn
Tue, 05-02-2006, 02:15 AM
I thought the reward for maxing out your rep is to have a custom title. I think this would totally devalue the rep system

Assassin
Tue, 05-02-2006, 08:29 AM
the rep system was devalued about an hour after it was implemented.

As for custom titles as rewards, we dont have to worry about being over run, but i dont think they should be permenant. Maybe a year or so at most. Its not like this is some huge accomplishment by the users. You pretty much just follow the rules and not be a dick, and you qualify for MotM. Seeing some guy 3 years from now with a custom title just cuz he was a good poster.....it just bothers me for some reason.

mage
Tue, 05-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Personally I think everyone should be allowed to set their own custom title. It's silly that there's so much commotion about someone having some fucking words under their name.

Assertn
Tue, 05-02-2006, 05:50 PM
the rep system was devalued about an hour after it was implemented.

As for custom titles as rewards, we dont have to worry about being over run, but i dont think they should be permenant. Maybe a year or so at most. Its not like this is some huge accomplishment by the users. You pretty much just follow the rules and not be a dick, and you qualify for MotM. Seeing some guy 3 years from now with a custom title just cuz he was a good poster.....it just bothers me for some reason.

Apparently not, someone took it upon themself to neg rep me for posting in this topic. Which one of you is the idiot gettin all trigger happy? Fess up

Archangel
Tue, 08-11-2009, 01:43 AM
I like this idea, i'm bringing it back to light