PDA

View Full Version : Hen changes its sex

DB_Hunter
Wed, 04-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Read for yourselves (http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91059-13519529,00.html)

Phoenix20578
Wed, 04-19-2006, 09:00 PM
..........but..........wait..........but.......... wtf.........

Deadfire
Wed, 04-19-2006, 09:19 PM
The sex change is thought to be a one in 10,000 rarity, caused by soaring testosterone levels.

Um... if it's one in 10,000 why doesn't this happen more offten then I mean how many Hens are there in the world, and I only hear of this now....

RedX1z
Wed, 04-19-2006, 10:06 PM
yeah, for something that happens one in every ten thousand, though rare, why was this not told to the public until now or why didn't i hear about it until now?

there are alot of things that aren't adding up. also, they didn't explain why it started changing and what caused it. someone better disect that thing before showing something like this.

RyougaZell
Wed, 04-19-2006, 10:08 PM
..........but..........wait..........but.......... wtf.........

my thoughts exactly...
wtf?

then I got this stupid idea for KFC...

"come and eat our new transexual chicken... it tastes like... chicken!!"

nevermind that last one...

Board of Command
Wed, 04-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Good point. There are probably about a billion hens around the world, and if it's as common as 1 in 10000, these so-called "experts" shouldn't be so surprised by it.

Honoko
Wed, 04-19-2006, 10:22 PM
yeah, for something that happens one in every ten thousand, though rare, why was this not told to the public until now or why didn't i hear about it until now?

there are alot of things that aren't adding up. also, they didn't explain why it started changing and what caused it. someone better disect that thing before showing something like this.
Also how convenient that this one guy also claims seeing it happen to a duck and pheasant. If it's 1 in 10,000 chance for a bird to change its sex due to testosterone levels, what're the odds of ONE guy seeing it happen to 3 seperate species?? Who's got combination probability formulas still fresh in their head? It's been about four years since I studied that crap :rolleyes:

aznimperialx
Wed, 04-19-2006, 10:40 PM
these articles are getting weirder and weirder...

What are the odds of the world exploding from our stupidness?

ChaosK
Wed, 04-19-2006, 11:45 PM
what the hell is up with these things today?

...how...why...oh nevermind.

The sex change is thought to be a one in 10,000 rarity, caused by soaring testosterone levels.

well, some hen's on the ROID.

Assassin
Thu, 04-20-2006, 12:03 AM
i call bullshit on this. seems too impossible to be real. Im sure nature has some fail safe against random sex changes due to an increase of hormones. If this is true then i can shoot some estrogen into my chest and have a pair of D cups...hey, if i do it 10, 000 times, its bound to work atleast once rite? :rolleyes:

XanBcoo
Thu, 04-20-2006, 01:43 AM
I agree. Until I see more evidence than a rather short article quoting some random English farmer, I'm gonna have to remain skeptical.

That would be something if it were true though. Cuz, y'know, we'd have to force Assassin to show us his D-cups and stuff.

Kraco
Thu, 04-20-2006, 02:56 AM
i call bullshit on this. seems too impossible to be real. Im sure nature has some fail safe against random sex changes due to an increase of hormones. If this is true then i can shoot some estrogen into my chest and have a pair of D cups...hey, if i do it 10, 000 times, its bound to work atleast once rite? :rolleyes:
I think refraining from that and just watching Kasimasi is much more safe and comfortable...

Seriously though, any expert that reasonably should be quoted should also have experience on the subject. The Poultry Club dude had it with a duck, and thus was a relevant person to quote. And he only said it's known to happen to pheasants, not that he would have had also such a bird.

There's not really anything really weird about this. If you have extra amounts of the hormone of the opposite sex in your veins, it does affect. Most of the external features, aside from the "necessary attributes to become a father (or mother), are things that develop after birth, and are a result of the levels of the effects of the appropriate hormones.

Zinobi
Thu, 04-20-2006, 03:04 AM

Twice if your lucky XD

Well I guess this might happen due to hormonal changes...but 1 in 10,000 is a bit common if you look at it in a world ratio. Well in that last sentence im not sure of what i said....

el_boss
Thu, 04-20-2006, 04:01 AM
Also how convenient that this one guy also claims seeing it happen to a duck and pheasant. If it's 1 in 10,000 chance for a bird to change its sex due to testosterone levels, what're the odds of ONE guy seeing it happen to 3 seperate species?? Who's got combination probability formulas still fresh in their head? It's been about four years since I studied that crap :rolleyes:
1 in 1,000,000,000,000 or 1 in 10^12 for short.

DB_Hunter
Thu, 04-20-2006, 08:48 AM

I think that would actually work... if a woman gets injected with a large amount of testosterone she will start to grow a beard and her voice will get deeper. If a man injects himself with oestrogen then I think he will start to develop breasts.

So don't try the experiment, you may well end up with D cups...

Carnage
Thu, 04-20-2006, 09:15 AM
Imagine if it was just that the Hen left overnight and a weird Rooster just came instead? But some Jellyfish do change sex because of loneliness so.......maybe its possible:p
Hey, I mean, look at terra!:D

XanBcoo
Thu, 04-20-2006, 10:55 AM
I think that would actually work... if a woman gets injected with a large amount of testosterone she will start to grow a beard and her voice will get deeper. If a man injects himself with oestrogen then I think he will start to develop breasts.
Things like that can also happen when a person doesn't have the proper pair of chromosomes. I just didn't think it would randomly happen to a chicken, and so frequently.

darkmetal505
Thu, 04-20-2006, 07:02 PM
This is basic bio. It can happen, or at least, it can't change its sex. It can, however, develop male attributes. A animal's sex is decided through chromosomes. I don't know how bird's gender is decided, but if it is similar to humans, it won't work.

aznroyale
Thu, 04-20-2006, 11:20 PM
this is freaky, what in the world is happening...