PDA

View Full Version : Ray: The Animation

Munsu
Tue, 04-11-2006, 08:47 PM
This series should be great. First episode released by Froth-Bite:

http://www.froth-bite.com/torrent/%5BFroth-Bite%5DRAY_The_Animation_-_01%5B2E31080C%5D.mp4.torrent

"Based on a manga by Yoshitomi Akihito.

Ray grew up on a farm, one that breeds and raises people as living, breathing organ donors. As a donor herself, Ray had her eyes taken away from her, but was given the gift of sight by a stranger. Ray`s new sight, however, was far from ordinary. She was given x-ray vision. We meet Ray ten years later, now off the farm, working as a nurse and an underground medical doctor performing procedures for profit. A chance encounter with an old friend triggers Ray`s memories of her difficult childhood, which inspires her to try to find the donor farm on which she was raised. "

http://ray.tv/
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=6163
http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=4049
http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,3558,bekspb,ray.html

FelixZeroAlastor
Tue, 04-11-2006, 08:56 PM
I read one of the mangas a while back. It was pretty interesting. I think I'll check it out.

Ryllharu
Tue, 04-11-2006, 10:56 PM
It starts before the manga does chronologically. I'm really happy with that, I always wondered how she started at the clinic.

I could never really get into Black Jack, but I really like Ray. Supernatural/sci-fi series with surgery as the focus, always an interesting concept.

Also, who can resist a heroine with red eyes?

Munsu
Wed, 04-12-2006, 03:02 AM
Didn't know this series was related to Black Jack, I was surprised when I saw him in the opening minutes. I think I'm going to watch this later after I watch a couple of series from Black Jack. The Black Jack tv series doesn't seem that good, though I really loved one of the movies, the one about the genius athletes.

seanos
Wed, 04-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Second Episode [Froth-Bite] (http://www.froth-bite.com/torrent/%5BFroth-Bite%5DRAY_The_Animation_-_02%5BF12934CD%5D.mp4.torrent)

Roxy
Wed, 04-19-2006, 01:24 PM
do you think it's ok to watch this series w/o watching black jack? or would i be missing pieces of the plot?

Ryllharu
Wed, 04-19-2006, 02:34 PM
There's no indication that Ray is directly related to Black Jack. He was the doctor to give her the new set of eyes (wherever he got x-ray eyes from) and I believe he knows the pirate director personally.

It doesn't seem to be as connected as Angel Heart and City Hunter for instance, where characters from one are prominently featured in the spinoff. It's more like City Hunter and Cat's Eye.

You can watch Ray without watching Black Jack and still enjoy it a lot.

Kraco
Wed, 04-19-2006, 03:46 PM
You can watch Ray without watching Black Jack and still enjoy it a lot.

Heh. So far that seems to be true, as I haven't seen Black Jack, but I did enjoy the first two episodes of Ray immensely. Aside from the somewhat believable technical aspects I like the characters a lot. They aren't gray standard stuff at all, but have very nice and strong personalities, and that's something that captivates my interest and attention.

The dynamics between Ray and Shinoyama are hardly all original, but VERY good and fun to watch, like the trick with the artificial heart. Shinoyama just rocks and it's delightful to watch how he pisses Ray off ...

Kraco
Tue, 04-25-2006, 03:26 AM
The next episode appeared. I hope Shinoyama keeps teasing Ray...

Episode 3 - Froth-Bite (http://www.froth-bite.com/torrent/%5BFroth-Bite%5DRAY_The_Animation_-_03%5B8CC32622%5D.mp4.torrent)

Edit: ...and indeed he did. I'm liking this series more and more. Well, there hasn't been anything that extraordinary or truly unique in it, but for some reason I like some of the characters and the dynamics between them. I just hope they stay that way.

Bread-sama
Fri, 04-28-2006, 07:13 PM
Up this thread... come on, Ray The Animation is one of my favourites show of this season.

Spoilers:
Episode 03 was quit intense with that surgery under the water and that lack of energy O_O, I was like omfg, also Ray has a crush on Kenji-kun or she is just trying to make him comfortable? o_o

PS: can we get a spoiler tag/quote?

Kraco
Sat, 04-29-2006, 03:43 AM
Hmm... I don't think Ray is the type of person interested in underage boys. I think she's just heavily sympathising with him, because Ray spent her own childhood locked in a room, much like Kenji is doing.

Although I'm not an authority here, but traditionally spoiler tags haven't been necessary, because there are heavy rules to follow what comes to spoilers. These anime discussion threads may not contain manga spoilers, but after a subbed episode of the anime has been released, it can be discussed with any depth. However, information from raws doesn't look welcome.

I have, and a few other people, warned about a spoiler (like you did) in the beginning of the thread, like just after the first episode, because somebody might just be glancing at the thread to see if the series is worth trying, but wouldn't necessarily want spoilers. But after more episodes have been released, nobody would even visit the end of the thread thinking there wouldn't be spoilers.

t1no
Sun, 04-30-2006, 12:37 AM
What do i need to play MP4?
Thank you.

Kraco
Sun, 04-30-2006, 02:50 AM
I use Media Player Classic and K-Lite Codec Pack. But there are also other viable options, although I can't name then, as I haven't used them personally. The bottom line is to use something better than Windows Media player.

There's actually also a new episode available:

Episode 4 - Froth-Bite (http://www.froth-bite.com/torrent/%5BFroth-Bite%5DRAY_The_Animation_-_04%5B69B0248C%5D.mp4.torrent)

Edit: Not a bad episode, but not great either. It was an action filled episode, but unfortunately I don't quite think action really suits this series, and it landed somewhat short because of that. I hope they don't try anything like this too often. Well, it did advance the plot nicely, which is a good thing always.

Bread-sama
Sun, 04-30-2006, 11:38 AM
Yeah, I didn't like this episode too much, but cleared some things about Ray's past (her friends).

Kraco
Sun, 05-07-2006, 02:42 PM
In a sick world you never run out of patients:

Episode 5 - Froth-Bite (http://www.froth-bite.com/torrent/%5BFroth-Bite%5DRAY_The_Animation_-_05%5BA17DCA95%5D.mp4.torrent)

Edit: Well, that was one weird and bizarre episode. Not bad, though. Quite good if filled with fantasy. I had no idea this series deviates so far from realism, but now that I know it, it won't bother me at all.

Kraco
Wed, 05-17-2006, 05:50 AM
Bad guys aren't bad guys unless they do bad things:

Episode 6 - Froth-Bite (http://www.froth-bite.com/torrent/%5BFroth-Bite%5DRAY_The_Animation_-_06%5BC149ED85%5D.mp4.torrent)

There were some weaknesses in this episode, but generally speaking I liked it. And the the scene with Shinoyama arriving at Ray's apartment and the conversation through the door telephone alone made this a good episode. Although Ray's the clear and only main character, this series would be nothing without Shinoyama.

The bad guys were a bit weak, and so was the sickness (and the cause of it) of the patient, though. But to be honest I wouldn't really expect exceptionally memorable or superb villains in a series like this. And I guess the ailment of the dude served its purpose.

Oh, and can't forget the subsequent scene in the car. Shinoyama has a wicked tongue...

Edit: Here's the Sleeping Beauty for all of those who still watch this series (me and Bread-sama...):
http://forums.gotwoot.net/gallery/files/9/7/6/2/Ray_1.png

Bread-sama
Wed, 05-17-2006, 04:33 PM
Nice pic. Starting from episode 6 things start to get interesting :o

Kraco
Sat, 05-20-2006, 11:22 PM
The sick await, and Ray operates:

Episode 7 - Froth-Bite (http://www.froth-bite.com/torrent/%5BFroth-Bite%5DRAY_The_Animation_-_07%5BE9264FA5%5D.mp4.torrent)

I think Froth-Bite has done commendable work on this series so far. The schedule has been really tight, and the quality fine.

An excellent episode. Like you said, Bread-sama, things are certainly getting more interesting. Altough if somebody didn't immediately guess who was calling when the phone rang at the end, he needs to brush up his guessing skills.

Kraco
Thu, 06-01-2006, 07:09 AM
Remember folks, never combine a fungus and a bug:

Episode 8 - Froth-Bite (http://www.froth-bite.com/torrent/%5BFroth-Bite%5DRAY_The_Animation_-_08%5B6CD3A831%5D.mp4.torrent)

Because if you do, you will end up with a super funbug. But it's no fun, after all.

An interesting episode, but sad times for Shinoyama. Just when he thought he would get somewhere with Ray, the ex-boyfriend from Ray's past of course decides to make a phone call. Such a bastard. No contact for years, and then calls just to ruin Shinoyama's hopes. And then again no calls. And after all that they even have guts to show him at the end of the episode mumbling how he really would like to meet Ray. What the hell is that? If he really wanted to see her, he would have done that years ago. Damn hypocrite. He's the real villain of this series.

Roxy
Tue, 06-06-2006, 06:36 AM
as much as i want to find out the deal w/ the man with the 'H ring' i'm beginning to find the show a bit monotonous (sp?). every episode, there's a random illness, ray gets called in or happens to be there, and then of course, only she can help and she cures the patient. sure, she learns a little bit more of the mystery every ep, but i'm sorta hoping for something new every ep but it always follows the same flow of events. :\ but nonetheless, i'll keep watching just to watch the mystery unfold.

Ryllharu
Tue, 06-06-2006, 06:50 AM
If you've ever watched Black Jack, its almost exactly the same. This spinoff actually has more of a continuous plot than the vast majority of Black Jack storylines. Ray has a few consistent goals, finding her old friends, most notably her young boyfriend, and stopping the group from trafficking any more organs. Each case brings her closer to each, whereas Black Jack just does random cases everywhere.

Kraco
Thu, 06-08-2006, 07:17 AM
If sick people don't come to you, then you can go to them:

Episode 9 - Froth-Bite (http://www.froth-bite.com/torrent/%5BFroth-Bite%5DRAY_The_Animation_-_09%5B99669B2D%5D.mp4.torrent)

It was quite an interesting episode, although I'm not sure how much it actually advanced the plot. Somewhat, no doubt, but it was left unclear just what happened at the end of the episode. Aside from some nasty shooting. Certainly violent things are a part of this series, even though it so often looks like a hospital series with some supernatural elements.

But I can't help but wonder what is going to happen with Shinoyama and Ray. Shinoyama has gotten pretty straight-forward, but Ray still only misses the long lost guy from her past. I don't know just how long they can keep up such a situation. Shinoyama doesn't look like he's going to give up, but realistically thinking it should get somewhat awkward and uncomfortable for them in the long run.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 06-08-2006, 12:16 PM
I wouldnt say 'only' misses the long lost guy, since to a certain extent Ray acts weird and jealous when girls get clingy to Shinoyama.

Kraco
Thu, 06-08-2006, 12:30 PM
That is indeed true. And I almost wrote another chapter about that very thing in the previous post. And maybe that's the little hope that actually keeps Shinoyama going. However, I'm not totally sure if that even more cruel or not. Of course it suggests Shinoyama might have hope, but it also could be that Ray just considers Shinoyama someone who is always, automatically there should she ever need a substitute for the long lost guy. And even such a tiny flicker of hope, real or not, also makes it much harder for Shinoyama to move forward (though I doubt he would want to).

Well, I'm not really so fanatical about this. I just liked to write that out of a whim (albeit a somewhat persistent whim).

shinta|hikari
Fri, 06-09-2006, 04:50 AM
I dont think Shinoyama keeps on pursuing Ray because he feels he has a chance. First of all, he hasnt really seen Ray get jealous ever, because when he is getting cuddled up to by other girls, he didnt really have the time to look at Ray and check her reaction, Rather, in the episode with Shinoyamas childhood friend, he actually looked at Ray while getting touchy with the other girl, and saw a completely apathetic reaction. And judging by the way he speaks about his feelings, it seems he has accepted that he has no place in Rays heart, which is not entirely true as I said in the previous post. Ray did consider Shinoyama as the guy who is always there, convenient and ready to be used, (which is indeed cruel) but in the later episodes she actually realized what she was doing and even apologized for it. At that moment, they would have probably kissed, had Koji not interrupted with his phone call. (damn celphones)

Roxy
Sat, 06-10-2006, 06:32 AM
ah, i actually haven't seen black jack, i was told i didn't need to a bit earlier in this thread i think. it's not that the story isn't continuous, i guess it's just the flow of each episode being the same that slightly bothers me. but this week's ep (10) was a bit different from the others b/c for once, ray couldn't completely cure the patient.

about the whole shinoyama thing, i don't think there's a real reason for him to still go after ray even if she's got her mind on koiichi. that seemed to be made pretty clear in the most recent ep where he says that just b/c she loves someone else, that can't stop him from loving her. i think while he may realize there's no place in her heart for him, he can't really just decide not to love and support (be her friend and partner) her anymore.

Kraco
Sat, 06-10-2006, 07:32 AM
That is true, no doubt. But I was just thinking it might be somewhat emotionally troublesome for Ray if a person who loves her, yet whom she doesn't love, is hanging around all the time, and despite everything hoping she would respond to his feelings (if you love somebody, that's what you naturally hope). And if Koiichi happened to come back, what would happen? Then surely Shinoyama would need to hit the road. Even if he hoped Koiichi would turn out to be a bastard, and Ray would come back to him. But I suppose in that situation Shinoyama doesn't much think of the tomorrow.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 06-10-2006, 08:17 AM
Yes, I do believe that the feeling of falling in love is always (and I mean always, whether people admit it or not) accompanied by the desire for to be requited. So I am not saying that shinoyama is not expecting anything at all. But, what he is doing is hardly a hopeless cause either. I think its not certain that Ray would choose Koichi (if he doesnt turn out to be a bastard) over shinoyama. Because when she was talking with red ribbon, she even doubted her own feelings for koichi (though those doubts were quelled by red ribbon, damn you red ribbon), partly because she has started to realize her feelings for shinoyama, specially since she has seen him in a new light.

Kraco
Sat, 06-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Alright! Never hope for the sickness but for the cure:

Episode 10 - Froth-Bite (http://www.froth-bite.com/torrent/%5BFroth-Bite%5DRAY_The_Animation_-_10%5B7CF1BE6C%5D.mp4.torrent)

Edit: Generally speaking my attitude shifts 120 degrees to the negative direction whenever cloning is made a part of a story, but for some reason that didn't happen with Ray. I wonder if this turns out to be one of the most interesting cloning stories. Certainly this episode was interesting. Many episodes ago I wished there wouldn't be action in the series anymore, but the action in this episode was actually decent, so I suppose I can take back those words.

And Koichi made an appearance. And gave me an impression of a yakuza guy. I wonder what he exactly did with his freedom after getting away from the hospital... Well, at least it looks like he wants some special kind of reunion with Ray. And with Ray confessing she still loves him, I suppose that's pretty set, unless Koichi actually doesn't plan to stay. Who knows. But one thing's sure: Shinoyama didn't look happy.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 06-11-2006, 12:31 AM
Well, I think Koichi is definitely involved with what is happening one way or another. And I bet its in a negative way, since making him a good guy would streamline the story to him and ray getting together, removing the purpose of even developing Ray and Shinoyamas relationship in the earlier episodes (which this anime did a lot). Next episode seems interesting, probably showing the repurcussions of rays confession of still loving koichi. If shinoyama is ever going to have a chance at ray, he better not give up here.

Kraco
Sun, 06-18-2006, 03:22 AM
The search for lost friends and love continues:

Episode 11 - Froth-Bite (http://www.froth-bite.com/torrent/%5BFroth-Bite%5DRAY_The_Animation_-_11%5B6C076CE6%5D.mp4.torrent)

Hmm... A very interesting episode. Still no answer to the question who is the original source of the clones, but some other things were made clear. And Koichi indeed looks like a bad guy, which is not surprising, because of his absence, the gun and what you said, shinta|hikari. Although who knows, he might be doing what he needs to do, as well, or there could be more than one Koichis (that would be funny)... But seeing how he shot One without a second of hesitation, I wonder just how good a partner he would make for Ray.

And of course what Ray's mother said about the truth devastating Ray, after she had said Ray still loves Koichi... That could also mean Koichi is somehow related to Ray (a male version clone? A clone of the H-man?).

Kraco
Mon, 06-26-2006, 03:17 AM
The grievances of cloned doctors never end:

Episode 12 - Froth-Bite (http://www.froth-bite.com/torrent/%5BFroth-Bite%5DRAY_The_Animation_-_12%5B9AE70B6A%5D.mp4.torrent)

Quite an episode, although it had been warmed up for so long that you can hardly say anything surprising was revealed. Still, it's good the truth is now out, and things can move forward without all the uncertainty for a change. Even if we might get somewhat more traditional episodes from now on.

But damn Koichi would make even hardline yakuza men happy...

Roxy
Mon, 06-26-2006, 07:02 AM
oh wow. it wasn't much of a surprise to see who ray's original was, cuz it was probably his wife or mother. but i was shocked to find out who koichi was, although i should have seen it coming since there's no reason to have a guy clone of a girl. i must say though, as much as the H-ring guy was wrong, i couldn't help but feel sorry for him, but still, he should have gotten some psychiatric help instead :p hmm... now why would they want ray's eyes back... something to ponder.

Ryllharu
Mon, 06-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Koichi wants Ray's eyes back because he's probably just as messed up as the H-ring man. Ray doesn't really seem concerned that she lost her eyes. Admittedly though she needs a fresh one, unless she wants to go prosthetic or just go with an eyepatch. I do wonder if it will affect her x-ray vision or not.

I gotta say though, that seeing a 50-60 year old man call a 8-12 year old "Mama" and having her respond in an equivalent manner is pretty high on the creepy meter.

Kraco
Tue, 06-27-2006, 04:52 AM
Damn it. The next episode will be the last one. I didn't remember this series was also only 13 episodes. It feels like so many series these days are so short, and will be ending soon.

Bread-sama
Sat, 07-01-2006, 08:12 PM
Episode 13 will be out really soon ;)

Kraco
Sun, 07-02-2006, 05:44 AM
Too bad the series had to end. Although with only the current story I doubt there would have been enough material for 24 or 26 episodes, so they would have needed to invent something new to avoid the series being just composed of one or two episodes miniplots.

A good last episode, though. Keichi's character was interestingly developed. Quite a strong theme of clones representing the originals, and that worked fine and consistently in this series. Scarce information was provided about the H-ring man's mother, but perhaps enough to see how the Ray-clones shared similarity as well.

And of course a series like this had to have a happy ending. Aye, it was a good series. Nothing spectacular, but steadily fine and with a healthy spirit.

Roxy
Sun, 07-02-2006, 05:54 AM
yeah, it was a solid series. i liked that it was 13 eps b/c it stopped the show from becoming too repetitive unless as noted, something new was developed. i noticed in this episode how similar koichi and ray look. kinda weird if you ask me. it was nice though to see h-ring man's mom befriending the mind reading boy, that was cute :)

Kraco
Sun, 07-02-2006, 06:08 AM
it was nice though to see h-ring man's mom befriending the mind reading boy, that was cute :)

Heh, yeah. The boy got a Ray of his own age. That was pretty sweet, indeed. If the operation is succesful I'm sure the boy and Shinoyama will become good friends; they both have a Ray, after all, so they would have plenty to talk about :p