PDA

View Full Version : Exploding paperweight costs teacher his hand

Ciber
Mon, 04-10-2006, 07:56 PM
VENTURA, California (AP) -- A teacher who kept a 40 mm shell on his desk as a paperweight blew off part of his hand when he apparently used the object to try to squash a bug, authorities say.

The 5-inch-long shell exploded Monday while Robert Colla was teaching 20 to 25 students at an adult education class.

Part of Colla's right hand was severed and he suffered severe burns and minor shrapnel wounds to his forearms and torso, fire Capt. Tom Weinell said. No one else was injured. He was reported in stable condition at a hospital.

The teacher slammed the shell down in an attempt to kill something that was buzzing or crawling across the desk, said Fire Marshal Glen Albright.

Colla found the 40 mm round while hunting years ago and "obviously he didn't think the round was live," said Dennis Huston, who teaches computer design alongside Colla.

CNN Link (http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/04/paperweight.explosion.ap/index.html)

IFHTT
Mon, 04-10-2006, 08:00 PM
hahaha Oh shit that would suck complete ass... "Fuckin bug... Clank, BANG. OHHH FUUUUCK!!"
Thats what happens when you play with bullets.

RedX1z
Mon, 04-10-2006, 09:37 PM
how many ways can you spell stupid or retarded? seriously one of the stupidest ways to lose part of your hand. anyways, it's hard to believe i've seen and heard worse.

Kraco
Tue, 04-11-2006, 01:38 AM
Colla found the 40 mm round while hunting years ago and "obviously he didn't think the round was live," said Dennis Huston, who teaches computer design alongside Colla.

Yeah. That's perfectly reasonable. I mean, who on earth would think a round could be live? It's not like the manufacturers strived to guarantee as many of their products were live as possible.

Well, it no doubt was a lesson to remember for the students present.

sangai
Tue, 04-11-2006, 01:51 AM
well you find a round out in the desert or woods or what, you never know what its been through submerge a bullet into water some go bad some stay good. too behonest i have my share of ammunition in my house for my rifles, largest rifle round being a 50MM round i used for recreational shootin.

im a lil suprised though usually you ahve to hit a bullet with the right amount of force in the right spot to set off the firing pin..believe me that ain't easy.

karma i guess.

Kraco
Tue, 04-11-2006, 03:18 AM
It sounds like it was the grenade that exploded. 40 mm explosive ammo can deliver quite a punch already. Maybe he hit the table with the head of the grenade. Being 40 mm it could have been a standard rifle grenade (although I have no idea if they are "5-inch-long shells". However, who knows how accurate a news article like that is).

kAi
Tue, 04-11-2006, 07:14 AM
hehe, well that's what you get when you play around with ammunition.

darkshadow
Tue, 04-11-2006, 09:51 AM
lol stupid fool, reminds me of that movie 'LadyKillers'

Tekkaman Vigorot
Wed, 04-12-2006, 10:42 PM
My first question is "Why did he use ammo as a paperweight to begin with?" I mean, come on now, who does that? It's like if I were to set a bear trap on my kitchen table because I think it makes me look manly.

aznimperialx
Wed, 04-12-2006, 11:03 PM
what a fucking idiot..

dragonrage
Thu, 04-13-2006, 03:24 AM
Wow, It is amazing to know the things that happens in the world. Some people are amazing. Who would ever think that something like this would ever happen, it raises some serious questions. Like what would a school allow something like that in the class room? And where exactly was he hunting? Who the hell would be using that kinda ammo? and what the fuck is this world coming too.

Anyways i can garantee that he is not gonna be bring and more rounds to class. Also he may actually use what little common sense that he has left. Well all that is left the me said is that Pamela is gonna have to cover for Pam ,since she has retired early.

Jman
Thu, 04-13-2006, 10:38 AM
*raises WTF flag
of all the objects he could've used as a paperweight he used a..bah to hell with it. i'll never understand why some people do really stupid things.