PDA

View Full Version : Utawarerumono

Munsu
Sun, 04-09-2006, 12:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLJbQuoO-zU

This is one series I've been waiting for, at least the trailer looked great:
http://datorrents.com/download.asp?id=820&name=%5BA%26L%5D_Utawarerumono_Promo_%5B64E98D01%5 D.avi.torrent

First episode released by yesi:
http://bt.yesy-fansubs.com/%5Byesy%5D_Utawarerumono_-_01_%5B0D75D63E%5D.avi.torrent

"The main character was helped when he was wounded lying on the ground in woods. When he woke up, he didn’t remember who he was. Furthermore, he had a mask that he couldn’t put off. By favor of the people in the village, who had animal ears and tails by the way, he began to live in the village.

From AnimeNFO

Based on a [Leaf/AQUAPLUS] visual novel/game.
Game info: http://leaf.aquaplus.co.jp/product/uta.htm"

http://www.utaware.net/
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=5746
http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=3427
http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,1731,oqrqwf,utawarerumono.html

Kraco
Sun, 04-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Ho... This sounds interesting. The trailer is lacking seeders, so I guess it's all the same to download the first episode and use it as a promo instead...

Amnesia is hardly original in any work nowadays, but the rest of the short description is much more intriguing.

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-09-2006, 02:40 PM
I liked the first eps. The feel of it reminded me of all the parts I liked about Scrapped Princess, with more of a fantasy twist. The general feel of it is very nice, and the OP showed a fair amount of action, so we should have some of that to look forward to.

I find this a lot more interesting than Soul Link, so I will probably follow this rather than that.

Kraco
Sun, 04-09-2006, 03:52 PM
Damn, I was totally positively surprised by this series! It didn't take but a minute from the beginning of the episode, and I knew this was a series worth watching. The main character seems likable fellow, suitably sociable yet still mysterious. He seems strong enough not to be a pusover (damn I have watched too much harem anime lately). And the other cast looks very fine as well. Nothing much can't be said about the plot at this point, but I think I will wait for the best, not the worst right now. And yes, I can understand Ryllharu's reference to Scrapped Princess, as well.

This was the funniest parts of the episode (well, this show isn't a comedy so I'm not really evaluating the level of comedy in the scenes):
http://img426.imageshack.us/img426/9194/touchgirlstail5ej.jpg
It certainly won't make any sense if you haven't watched the episode, though.

masamuneehs
Sun, 04-09-2006, 04:27 PM
First episode was pretty damn good. Looks to have plenty of potential. I like the setting alot, especially with the minor deity in the village and all of that stuff.

Character designs: I've never been a fan of catgirls and all that, so I'm not wild about the designs here. So far the 'tail and ears' have only been utilized to show one kind of reaction/emotion, which hints they're mostly for show... let's hope that's not true.

There had better be some explanation given for why some people have certain kinds of ears and tails and why others have different kinds...

Gosh that Eruru girl seems a little young to be at the center of a love interest with a grown man, doesn't she? Then again, by standards from times when shrines were built to local gods and with the indicated low-level of technology she'd actually be at the usual age for getting married (and pregnant), but you don't often see that being portrayed in anime...

lol, was trying to figure out where I'd heard the main character's voice before... it was so fresh in my mind, but it wasn't a voice that I could recall from any particular role... Turns out it's the same VA who does Norbu who just appeared in e7! First time hearing the guy, big roles in two episodes on the same day!

Ino from Naruto is the same as Eruru, another surprise. This one sounds soo much younger! But now that i know it i can sorta hear the similarities.

That lumberjack's wife's "Oyaoya! -My my-" was so familiar too! Turns out she's Satsuki Yukino! :)

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-09-2006, 05:12 PM
On the subject of seiyuus, Eruru's also voices none other than Haruka from Mai Hime/Otome. If you're familiar with Magical Lyrical Nanoha A's, she also does Shamal, which sounds identical to this role.

aznroyale
Sun, 04-09-2006, 07:23 PM
i been waiting for this seris too

Knives122
Sun, 04-09-2006, 08:52 PM
Even though I wasn't really planning on watching this show, I think I may now. I need a good animal person show with dinosaurs and Ronin Warrior like tigers.

May just give up archiving Kiba if this show gets better

aznroyale
Sun, 04-09-2006, 09:22 PM
first eps wasnt that bad, great storyline for me

IFHTT
Sun, 04-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Haha Kraco that part was indeed quite humorous. This seems like a pretty interesting story. I guess I'll add it to my list, provided the next couple of eps are anything like this one.

Munsu
Fri, 04-14-2006, 03:23 AM
Episode 2:

http://bt.yesy-fansubs.com/%5Byesy%5D_Utawarerumono_-_02_%5B7B45B4FD%5D.avi.torrent

chobits1217
Fri, 04-14-2006, 07:06 PM
hmm this series is quite interesting,
from the op, i thought they would have the girl taming the beast in episode 2, but instead they give her a new born beast and killed the mother, that was interesting~:p

aznroyale
Sat, 04-15-2006, 06:05 AM
from the op, i thought they would have the girl taming the beast in episode 2, but instead they give her a new born beast and killed the mother, that was interesting~:p

yeah i thought so too that, they would capture the mother and train her

Knives122
Sat, 04-15-2006, 10:32 AM

it's the perfect plan: kill the homicidal tiger, and steal it's baby and train it to not kill you.

Genius!!!

masamuneehs
Sat, 04-15-2006, 02:39 PM
episode 2 wasn't as good as the first, but I still found it pretty damn good.

It seems that this show is going to be rather mild with the violence. Show's the bloody corpses, the blood on the beast's mouth, but there was zero blood/gore shown spurting out. Teoro's axe blow was pretty nasty, and the OP has blood, but this episode leads me to think that this show won't be very graphic with the violence.

Music was pretty crappy. I like the interaction between the characters and it's nice to see a protagonist using his head rather than relying solely on some secret hidden power (which i still think he has)

Yesy seems to be doing a good job of translation. I'm sticking with them.

Yukimura
Sat, 04-15-2006, 04:46 PM
I grabbed this on a whim, and I'm impressed. Storyline looks very promising, this show seems capable of branching into lots of good plots from here, I hope it's something new and different, though i'm not really fed up with the same old same old quite yet, hehe.

The Tiger dying and leaving a cub suprised me, I figured the little girl would tame it too. I hope there aren't too many crazy repercussions for killing the 'Forest God' on our quaint little village, but then of course there will be.

IFHTT
Sat, 04-15-2006, 05:02 PM
Wow, I am really liking this series as well. I am going to keep watching it. As Yukimura stated there is a lot of potential in the story, and something different. The whole ending scene with everyone content with the way things happened and then the tiger cub yawning was kind of lame but other than that I had no complaints about this episode.

It is nice also as Masa pointed out to have a character that can use inductive reasoning to solve the problem rather than just relying on a special power of sorts, at least from what we can tell thus far. I think there is some obvious relation of the main character to Eruruu and Aruruu's father.

bagandscalpel
Mon, 04-17-2006, 07:44 AM
First things first, I picked up the series after seeing a .gif of the Eruru tail grab scene. Fortunately, I was well rewarded.

Perhaps I'm a sucker for fantasy anime, but this particular series leaves a pretty good taste in my mouth for now. And, for some reason, based off the scenes in the opening, I believe that the show will evolve into a medieval war-style anime with the army of the protagonists going against the evil pig-persons among others. And adding to that, the main character just screams "tactician" to me (must be the iron fan), something I rarely see. Well, this is all wild speculation, but thinking upon this makes me want to play Fire Emblem...

Harima Kenji
Mon, 04-17-2006, 05:36 PM
I watched the first 2 episodes and I like what I've seen so far.
It may be the setting or something, but this series made me think about 'Berserk'...can't really think why I do, though..
And I smiled when I heard 'Kaname Chidori' shout.. Satsuki Yukino rules :) Having her in the cast is a very big plus for me.

Mr Squiggles
Tue, 04-18-2006, 10:33 PM
This series doesn't look too bad so far, although the title can be a bit of a mouthfull :p

I'm guessing we'll have a time skip sometime soon where the kitty will have time to grow to be the one in the intro and the main character will have fully intergrated himself into the village and then something from his past will show up to mess everything up or something...

XanBcoo
Thu, 04-20-2006, 01:37 AM
I also watched this on a whim, and it was good enough to make me download episode 2. It's pretty entertaining, and I haven't seen a fantasy anime in a while, so I'll keep with it.

There were a few things I didn't like. I really hope they don't milk the "I am a man with no past" cliche that was evident in the first episode. I also didn't like how Hakuoro just kind of decided everything on behalf of the villiage in episode 2 (Even if it is just to show how influential he is to these mild-mannered folk, I still think it's a tad corny), or how his name was suddenly decided for him.

Everything else is great though. I like all the characters so far, especially Teoro. I hope some of the other villiagers' personalities are fleshed out too. The fight against the Mutikapa was also really kewl. Heh, I also noticed that no matter how many violent anime I watch, I'm still a pretty soft person, as I felt really bad when Mutikapa killed that family, and then when she was killed herself. Her cub is cute though. I hope it grows up soon.

Kraco
Thu, 04-20-2006, 02:30 AM
I really hope they don't milk the "I am a man with no past" cliche that was evident in the first episode. I also didn't like how Hakuoro just kind of decided everything on behalf of the villiage in episode 2 (Even if it is just to show how influential he is to these mild-mannered folk, I still think it's a tad corny), or how his name was suddenly decided for him.

I actually thought the way he decided it shows he isn't a man without a past. Even if I risk being wrong I like to think he was influential in his forgotten life, a man with some power, and thus he had natural, unsuppressed leadership tendencies. He has shown clear character and nature of mind so far, which is a good thing even without definitive memories.

How his name was decided wasn't actually a bad thing either, in my opinion. It shows two things: The docile villagers also wanted to exert some power or willingness to make decisions. And secondly things like that no doubt come more naturally to them than waging war. A semi-isolated village like that must be quite communal to work, and thus giving a local name to the stranger binds him tighter to the village (they already seem to think fondly of him, for now at least).

Munsu
Sat, 04-22-2006, 09:57 PM
Static-Subs released the first 2 episodes, they are probably the superior version so I suggest you at least check them out if you are thinking of archiving the series:

http://www.point-blank.cc:16384/allowed/torrent.php/[SS]_Utawarerumono_-_01_[F9AEE66B].avi.torrent

http://www.point-blank.cc:16384/allowed/torrent.php/[SS]_Utawarerumono_-_02_[C0809074].avi.torrent

masamuneehs
Sun, 04-23-2006, 08:30 AM
Yesy - Utawarerumono - Episode 3 (http://yesy.fansub-torrents.com/%5Byesy%5D_Utawarerumono_-_03_%5BDD45CF40%5D.avi.torrent)
For those who want speed over quality at this point still. er, that isn't to say Yesy hasn't done a good job with this show thusfar (they have), but Static's works have been damn good in the past.

Kraco
Sun, 04-23-2006, 01:06 PM
A fine episode again. This far this has been quite a bit more mature series than many others I have been watching lately. That's refreshing in itself. The only thing that worries me a little is that there hasn't been in vicinity anything truly original plot wise (what comes to the world of the series), but perhaps it's just too early for that. After all, the whole bigger picture of the story is yet to be revealed, in the end.

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-23-2006, 02:12 PM
My sentiments are similar. It is fairly odd to have such a mature main character. At this point there isn't all that much to make him overly distinctive, other than his appearance. He was skilled enough to take Oboro on with a good amount of proficiency, who is a good fighter in his own right, though just not compared to that mounted warrior (Banwei?).

Two things concerned me during this eps. The first was at the very beginning, when Eruru described the meanings of their names. I couldn't help but seen some sort of foreshadowing there. Bad news for Eruru I guess. The second was young girl's words about what Hakuoro smelled or sensed like. She sensed something related to the deep earth (or along those lines). I felt that that correlated with my earlier impression that he was that fanged monster in human form. Something ancient and destructive.

Munsu
Mon, 04-24-2006, 11:48 AM
I like this series, but the shitty dialogues are pissing me of. The VA for the main character is also a piece of shit. And this episode was boring, I couldn't care less for the little sick girl.

Aside from that, next episode should be good, lots of actions. I assume that there will be a big war soon where different races clash each other.

masamuneehs
Tue, 04-25-2006, 03:19 AM
well i finally got around to watching episode 3 and i was a little disappointed.

Bud is damn right, the dialogue was weak, at best. It wasn't so horrible that you couldn't overlook it in the first two episodes, but it got on my nerves in episode 3.

Also looked like some shoddy animation, Oboro's facial expressions (didn't help that his VA was pretty crappy), the fight between Oboro and Benoui, Benawi? Ben- oh whatever, HE actually had a decent sounding VA. But that fight was just way too short and seemed hastilly done.

Hm... Tushkoro seems to be at the very crux of some shady events... From the preview it looks like she may even prove to be the catalyst for a rebellion...

I still have high hopes for this series. Some of the stuff in the OP just looks so fucking awesome and I still love the setting, but they're going to have to brush up on some of the finer details to make this show a really memorable one.

oh, and Bud, it is funny that you dislike the VA that does Hakuoro (the main character). That guy happens to do the dubbed voice for your favorite CTU wrecking ball, Jack Bauer, in the Japanese versions of 24 :p

Yukimura
Tue, 04-25-2006, 06:31 AM
oh, and Bud, it is funny that you dislike the VA that does Hakuoro (the main character). That guy happens to do the dubbed voice for your favorite CTU wrecking ball, Jack Bauer, in the Japanese versions of 24 :p

There is only one jack bauer, to keep his enemis confused he sometimes goes under the alias Keifer Sutherland. Pretending to be Jack Bauer, even in order to deliver the mesasage of Jack Bauer to the masses around the world is definate grounds for hatred for a true Bauer lover. Bud's dislike of the VA is probably indirectly tied to this fact.

On topic, slow is the name of the game it seems, stuff is happening, but it's like a trickle barely getting out of the pipe. Oboro seems like a typical overprotective brother/warrior, though he has a girly name (Basilisk has ruined the name Oboro for me) perhaps his angst comes from the fast that his name is Oboro. So many questions get raised each episode and I've yet to see any answer, hopefully blah blah gets better blah, i'm tired of writing the same thing so much. Why do they call themselves human if they have tails and stuff? Toxic Waste???!!!??? Alien Interbreeding ???!!!??? Who knows?

Kraco
Tue, 04-25-2006, 07:16 AM
I think they have tails just so that they could make that one funny scene in ep 1...

bagandscalpel
Tue, 04-25-2006, 11:24 AM
I still have high hopes for this series. Some of the stuff in the OP just looks so fucking awesome and I still love the setting, but they're going to have to brush up on some of the finer details to make this show a really memorable one.

I still stand firm in my belief that this series will eventually show large-scale battles full of wholesome hack-and-slash.

Oh yeah, the source material for this anime further likens it to the Fire Emblem series more so than before... Kudos, I say.

http://leaf.aquaplus.co.jp/product/uta.htm

Munsu
Sun, 04-30-2006, 06:00 AM
Episode 4:

http://bt.yesy-fansubs.com/%5Byesy%5D_Utawarerumono_-_04_%5B049B1FE4%5D.avi.torrent

I think this'll be a good one, it should have lots of fighting.

Kraco
Sun, 04-30-2006, 06:48 AM
Heh. I'm so nicely predisposed to like this series I wouldn't mind even if it didn't contain as much fighting as the preview suggested...

Am I the only one who's getting a really slow response from that torrents.fansub-torrents.com? I remember last time it also took a minute to get the torrent file after clicking the link, and so it did now as well. Strange site.

Edit: Well, there certainly was lots of action, and it wasn't bad, even if it wasn't very brilliant either. It was an odd mix of fantasy samurai sword fight and then more realistic, cruel brawling. However, more than the fight in this episode itself, the prospect of future dangers was the best point of this episode. It was a point of no return.

And the rather ghastly flashbacks of Hakuoro continue. I wonder when we will learn more about the cause of those and his past in general.

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-30-2006, 09:44 AM
A very apt episode title. This really symbolized a turning point in the series, from which it will not be able to return. They have no choice but to continue fighting until the end.

They killed a feudal lord, who rightly deserved exactly what he got, and now they will probably be facing the entire empire.

I see where some of the new characters will be coming from, met along their path to war. But right now I'm very curious about some of the other non-war characters they show in the opening. The girl with black wings is featured quite prominently in the opening, but so far there is no indication of her.

I'm definitely glad I picked this series up. The plot is exactly what I want in a period series.

masamuneehs
Mon, 05-01-2006, 08:16 AM
holy fucking shit episode 4 is a fire starter! Path of No Return indeed!

Hakuro was all, "I'm not qualified to lead the village."
Axe guy: "Of course you are."
Hakuro: "No, it shouldn't be me..."
Villagers: "Come on!"
Hakuro: "Well, ok, if you insist. ... Then for my first act I say we go start a civil war."

I can only wonder what the old woman would think about the rebellion...

I liked the action and the dialogue was a little better. There wasn't alot of frills on the fights which I like, but I was hoping for more strategy. It really doesn't make any sense that they won without any strategy (except that they have several kickass fighters in Hakuro, Oboro, Teoro and the two archers), but the battle was done well. It was nice to see the good old vino flowing, but not in that 'spurting geisers of blood' way.

I wonder why that military captain (the one who pwned Oboro last episode) didn't get involved... Why would he want a rebellion to start?

Oh, and a very Yzak Julesque scene with Nuwangi running away and cursing Hakuro

This show has been a real pleasant surprise.

bagandscalpel
Mon, 05-01-2006, 08:26 AM
I liked the action and the dialogue was a little better. There wasn't alot of frills on the fights which I like, but I was hoping for more strategy. It really doesn't make any sense that they won without any strategy (except that they have several kickass fighters in Hakuro, Oboro, Teoro and the two archers), but the battle was done well. It was nice to see the good old vino flowing, but not in that 'spurting geisers of blood' way.
This show has been a real pleasant surprise.

I'll have to agree that there was a underwhelming amount of strategy involved for this battle... But then again, it IS Hakuoro's first large scale skirmish, and it WAS only just a manor siege, so brute force proved to be sufficient.

What did surprise me the most, though, was that Hakuoro himself delivered the final blow to the lord. That being said, however, it was brutally satisfying:D

Lucifus
Mon, 05-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Hmm, Watched the first four episodes, Its a pretty decent series, I'll keep up with this one. Ep four was pretty sweet.

Yukimura
Tue, 05-02-2006, 02:48 AM
I like this show more and more every ep, the balancing of good and bad seems to really make each episode seem positive. Grandma dies, but then is avenged, Oboro goes angst, then accepts Hakuoro as a good leader. My only grip is, if the soldiers really outnembered the villagers then there's no way so many villagers shoud have survived. Maybe Hakuoro and Oboro really killed so many it evened the odds...that's just plain pwnage right there though.

Everon
Fri, 05-05-2006, 01:12 AM
Well, with the way the battles are being done - against the Magistrate and against the tiger - I think battles will be pretty simple.

That being said. I'll continue watching because of my tail fetish..

Kraco
Sun, 05-07-2006, 07:48 AM
No rest for the feudal lords:

Episode 5 - Yesy (http://bt.yesy-fansubs.com/%5Byesy%5D_Utawarerumono_-_05_%5BFBFEBE32%5D.avi.torrent)

Edit: It was a nice but quite predictable and not very innovative episode. There were good scenes, though, no matter if they were foreseeable or not. Fighting wasn't all too detailed, which was the case also with earlier fights, but since it was more like a small skirmish than a grand battle, it doesn't really matter.

But like with all the previous episodes, I still like very much the calm, thoughtful and mature feeling I get from the action and events in this show. Maybe it's partly due to the fact Hakuoro kind of adopted the younger of the two sisters as his own child. And on the other hand how he leads the villagers in a serious manner. Even if it seems kind of funny that an amnesiac man who appeared out of nowhere now is the leader of all those people.

But damn the cat grows fast... At least it took away the need for time jumps, considering how big the cat looks in the opening video.

Ryllharu
Sun, 05-07-2006, 09:41 AM
After seeing eps 5, this is probably one of the most well written series this season. This eps was a perfect mix of the humor that we all liked in the first eps, and the action that enticed us from the OP. Clean animation, great cast, decent pacing so far, and good writing make this a contender for one of the best series this season overall.

Heh, Eruru got abused again, this time by Mukuru looking to take advantage of her 'motherly assets'.

We all knew from the opening that Aruru would be joining them in some of the fighting, but I got an enjoyable Mononoke vibe from her in this eps.

Utawarerumono is now in the top two series of this season for me.

Kraco
Sun, 05-07-2006, 02:15 PM
I'm wondering if the script will make Hakuoro and Eruru a pair. There certainly is such a wibe in the air. However, Hakuoro doesn't really seem to be that interested, at least outwardly. And who knows how young Eruru even is, anyway... But clearly she isn't behaving like Aruru who considers Hakuoro her dad now.

But those abuse scenes just seem the strongest indications that Eruru is heading for that direction; to become the main hero's girlfriend (filling one position of the 36th anime law).

Darknodin
Sun, 05-07-2006, 03:26 PM
animation in episode 4 was crappy... but apparently it wasn't permanent. Episode 5 had a well animated fight scene. this is good since the story seems great

NeoBear
Sun, 05-07-2006, 06:05 PM
Great ep this series is maintaining a great balance of plot and action and even sprinkling in some comedy. I must have the ending song soon very soon or I might have to organize a angry mob myself =D

Munsu
Fri, 05-12-2006, 05:56 AM
6 by yesy:

http://bt.yesy-fansubs.com/%5Byesy%5D_Utawarerumono_-_06_%5BE67A2B89%5D.avi.torrent

Dark Dragon
Fri, 05-12-2006, 08:03 AM
i couldn't help but think the character of Hakuoro was made base on this guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhuge_Liang

he also a playable character in Dynasty Warrior and his weapon of choice is of course a Fan.

Kraco
Fri, 05-12-2006, 10:09 AM
The plot seems a tad simplistic every now and then. The extremely stupid ruler oppressing heedlessly the people, the honourable samurai thrown to jail, the less gifted usurper that replaces him. But all in all I do get the feeling this is only the beginning of something bigger. The preview indicates the ruler's days may be already numbered, and maybe he was only a small fish in the pond, to be replaced by something more sinister and capable in the future episodes. Perhaps something connected to Hakuoro's mask.

masamuneehs
Fri, 05-12-2006, 12:14 PM
just watched episode 5. And yeah, holy tap dancing christ what do they feed that cat? It's fucking huge already! :eek: It's going to tear up the battlefield... having a fully grown deity beast on your side can never hurt.

People said 5 didn't have alot of strategy, but I totally disagree!

I love the way they portray the villagers' morale, and Hakuoro fortifying the walls quickly, excellent move. And even though it is mostly due to Tsukurou, good work on gaining skilled warriors thru the alliance with Oboro. Personally delivering messages to surrounding villages is another great move. The training is also another great move, Teoro is perfect for a 'drill seargant' type.

The two Archer twins also showed a great sense of strategy, drawing a majority of the mounted troops away from the leader and occupying them with a chase. Heck, even Aruruu, whether she knew it or not, did an excellent backup job, lingering outside of the fight until her entrance would make the biggest impact (granted that could also be plot convienence...)

I also thought the battle in 5 was beautifully done. Captured that frenzy of the battlefield well, even if it was just a small skirmish. Animation had everything in it, and what i liked best: it was fast. Not alot of meaningless series of strikes and counters like you see in Bleach or Naruto, but laying everything out with every blow and dodge.

I love how the actual blows come fast as lightning and they still reserve slow-motion shit for important strikes and counters.

Anyone else slightly, well... disturbed by the fact that Hakuro has a 'husband-wife' like relationship with one sister and a 'father-daughter' one with the other? It's just... sorta creepy when that one girl calls him 'Daddy'. Makes me wonder what Eruruu calls him (yes, in that context...)

Oh, and score one for bestiality! Mukuru/Eruruu hentai doujinishis coming out later this month...

Nuwangi as the ruthless pawn of the dictators... Yzak Jule indeed.

This show is fucking awesome, fucking awesome.

edit - hmm, seems this show entices me to use the words 'great' and 'good' along with the term 'move' alot... better get a thesaurus, cuz I feel it's just going to keep chugging along and I don't want to get too repetitive.

Ryllharu
Fri, 05-12-2006, 12:37 PM
With eps 6, this series has begun to move very fast. The emperor (or whatever that afro idiot is) will probably see his downfall in an eps or two unless something big happens. We saw a great deal of strategy again from Hakuoro, "attack only what I know can be taken," great line. They began to bring elements in of Eruru and Aruru feeling separated from him, and I believe it is Hakuoro trying to distance himself from the girls. I got the impression that he doesn't want them to be directly associated with what he is becoming, or perhaps in his case, returning to.

Did anyone else think the twins were boys? From the opening, I had assumed they were girls, but then when they made their first appearance, I figured I had been mistaken. Now with the crafty merchant scene, it turns out they were girls all along.

As for Mukuru, it's a mythical beast, what can you expect? It eats, and then it grows!

Kraco
Fri, 05-12-2006, 12:51 PM
They began to bring elements in of Eruru and Aruru feeling separated from him, and I believe it is Hakuoro trying to distance himself from the girls. I got the impression that he doesn't want them to be directly associated with what he is becoming, or perhaps in his case, returning to.

Yeah, that seems pretty likely. He was about to send them away earlier, but they were too close to him back then. It indeed could be that he now tries another way: To make them more distant to get them gradually out of immediate danger.

Chances are of course that won't work very well. For one, Mukuru is practically a tank on the battlefield, and most likely only obeys Aruruu enough to serve in that role. It would be a bad tactical move not to have it in active reserve should things get much worse. But more than that, I want to see a repetition of the tail scene from the first episode...

bagandscalpel
Fri, 05-12-2006, 01:08 PM
i couldn't help but think the character of Hakuoro was made base on this guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhuge_Liang

he also a playable character in Dynasty Warrior and his weapon of choice is of course a Fan.

Heh, I, too, made the connection after Hakuoro received the fan. I can see now how the similarities are growing; HOWEVER, Zhuge Liang, as portrayed in the texts, was a man of legendary prowess. So only when Hakuoro starts reading stars, summoning winds, and offing the opposition with his words alone, can he be truly likened to that man.

Dark Dragon
Fri, 05-12-2006, 01:25 PM
well you never know, beside near the end of intro there a part that look like a giant lightning bolt hitting the earth, this series is going at a great pacing and i'm hoping it stay that way.

Darknodin
Sat, 05-13-2006, 12:32 AM
Yea... seems the afro sporting emperor will die soon... and that's good, really... it would be a shame for the show to have such a crappy villain.

masamuneehs
Sat, 05-13-2006, 06:53 AM
Lol I just realized that in the opening they have Benawi and his vice captain (Kyozo? What's his name?) riding through the battlefield and tearing shit up. It's in the same sequence between Oboro, the not yet introduced samurai character and the Archer twins. That and the events of episode 6 are clear signs that those two are going to defect to the resistance...

That leaves me wondering about who the real villain will be. Nuwangi doesn't seem to stand on his own, and not just cuz he's currently and underling (wasn't a problem for Kefka or Dilandau) and I can't imagine he's going to make it out of the struggle for this particular country.

The 'merchant' was the best part of the episode. I kept going back and forth between 'is he' 'is he not' and he's just got this slippery persona, impressive character.

Was a little disappointed by the battle in 6. Benawi should have set up a better trap. Letting that wall fall was his mistake, cuz they had to abandon the opposite walls and that was their downfall.

If a military commander figures out the simplest way to crush the rebellion I'll be very impressed with this series (even more impressed if Hakuoro figures out a way to beat it).
Draw out the rebels or lay a trap that draws them out into the open. Mounted units. Rebellion over.

bagandscalpel
Sat, 05-13-2006, 07:13 AM
If a military commander figures out the simplest way to crush the rebellion I'll be very impressed with this series (even more impressed if Hakuoro figures out a way to beat it).
Draw out the rebels or lay a trap that draws them out into the open. Mounted units. Rebellion over.

Though it may be that simple, the only leader who commands an army at this point is a self-satisfying, afro-sporting glutton who probably can't put two and two together, and didn't realize that he had another rebellion occurring even closer at hand than the one Hakuoro is leading. That being said, Inkara still seems more a regional lord than an "emperor" or "king," so I doubt his personal forces are even that massive, compared to the countryfolk.

Yeah, the merchant was pretty interesting despite appearing at first to be a rather non-descript character. Then again, for a spy/assassin, he plays the role out well.

Kraco
Sat, 05-13-2006, 07:39 AM

Hakuoro doesn't seem like the type to fall easily into such traps. He had a nice plan for the gate fortress as well, even though he didn't want to attack it so soon. And the country folks seem to be under his control so far, so it's not likely the troops will simply march into a trap despite what Hakuoro commanded. And of course they could always wield pikes.

Dark Dragon
Sat, 05-13-2006, 08:34 AM
That being said, Inkara still seems more a regional lord than an "emperor" or "king," so I doubt his personal forces are even that massive, compared to the countryfolk.

yeah i think that too, it just seem like he in charge of a group of village, hardly worthy of being call Emperor, it might be that he gave himself the title since warlord have a habit of doing that if they control a fief that is far from the capital. I can see a couple possible outcome

1. In 2 episode or so they will take out this "Emperor" and most likely benawi might escape again and head to the real capital

2. After they take out this "Emperor" the episode after they capital got news of the rebelion and send a messenger

3. That guy turn out to be the true Emperor after all, but only of this country which happen to be quite small, and there a bunch of other country that got the news and now want to try to add more land to their territory and Hakuoro become the new leader of the country and tries to defend it.

I'm hoping 3 will happen, because i suspect that Oboro little sister Yuzuha is either not his true sister or they both are royalty that escape when their country got taken over.

aznroyale
Sat, 05-13-2006, 10:47 AM
man i find this series great even though i dont like books that much

bagandscalpel
Sat, 05-13-2006, 11:32 AM
man i find this series great even though i dont like books that much

Don't think I quite follow. What do books have to do with this series?

Death13a
Sat, 05-13-2006, 03:42 PM
here some wiki on the show

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utawarerumono
it mostly has some names and small to hardly mild spoilers
Dori and Gura
Twin brother archers serving under Oboro.

Kraco
Sat, 05-13-2006, 04:00 PM
Whoever wrote the article must have made a mistake. No way they are brothers, unless they are guys who make an effort to be quite girly indeed.

Dark Dragon
Sat, 05-13-2006, 06:44 PM
the merchant said

"I have many other things as well. From childrens' toys (at this part they show aruru playing with a toy) to jewelry that would look beautiful on women. ( they had the twin with some necklace and hairpin at this part.

beside if you look at the art style none of the men so far has look like a woman if this was like Ouran High Host Club i would understand, but i don't see how the twins can be male.

masamuneehs
Sat, 05-13-2006, 07:23 PM
...they could just be really good cross-dressers...
no, seriously those two have to be male.

Then again... in anime there is no limit to how girly/feminine male character designs can get. But I agree with the Dark Dragon, it just doesn't fit the mold that they use with the rest of the characters, especially the way they dress.

edit to below - yes, typos do happen, especially at 3AM

Darknodin
Sat, 05-13-2006, 08:41 PM
...they could just be really good cross-dressers...
no, seriously those two have to be male.

Then again... in anime there is no limit to how girly/feminine male character designs can get. But I agree with the Dark Dragon, it just doesn't fit the mold that they use with the rest of the characters, especially the way they dress.

I guess you meant female...

seriously... this just shows the point... typos can happen.

Yukimura
Sat, 05-13-2006, 09:31 PM
From what I can gather only women in this show sport tails, though i'm ot sure al women have tails. Anyway the twins have tails as evidenced in episode 4, thus they are most likely female.

Kraco
Fri, 05-19-2006, 09:11 AM
The tale of women with tails and men with fans continue:

Episode 7 - Yesy (http://yesy.fansub-torrents.com/%5Byesy%5D_Utawarerumono_-_07_%5B8463A475%5D.avi.torrent)

Edit: Ho... Tres interessant. After this episode it's more than evident that the uber stupid emperor was just a smalltime villain (the fact his main forces were so insignifant and defeated in one episode is evidence enough...). However, right now there really isn't any indication who the real evil overlord of this series is. Quite surprising if it isn't someone related to Hakuoro's mask and past.

The only clue at all to future proceedings would be the mention that the goverments apparently have collapsed in many countries. Although no reasons were yet revealed. What comes to the next episode it looks like new characters added, and perhaps we will get some info what this is all about.

Yukimura
Fri, 05-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Man, Hakuoro's fan is insane, I wonder how he'd do with a real weapon. As to the falling of the other countries, maybe Hakuoro is one of many sent to different countries to topple the existing governments, perhaps weakening them for invasion by some nefarious force. His genuine benevolence could be a front designed to make the common folk gravitate towards him. Anything seems possible at this point, the show is just heating up.

Kraco
Fri, 05-19-2006, 06:38 PM
Hmm... An interesting theory. But it could be also quite the reverse: He could be an agent sent to make the country stronger! After all, the late bonehead emperor had no idea how to lead his armies or even defend his own worthless life, so the country was actually more ripe for conquest before Hakuoro came. Now it is, perhaps, lead by a man far more capable of defending it against anybody. So, Hakuoro might have been sent there for that purpose: To make the country stronger against some yet-to-be-revealed true master villain. Although the angel people's conversations didn't give such an impression.

Board of Command
Sat, 05-27-2006, 12:23 AM
I just started watching this series now that Jigoku Shoujo finally ended. Interesting first episode and I really like the OP.

Yukimura
Sun, 05-28-2006, 09:16 PM
[yesy] Uta - 08 (http://www.mininova.org/get/324052)

HOORAY!!!

Kraco
Mon, 05-29-2006, 05:48 AM
A very calm and nice episode.I generally have nothing against this type of episodes that often appear after one strife, before another. And the preview indeed indicated as much: Some very sinister events seem to be lurking just around the corner. We don't actually know anything at all about the whole world of the series, so there could be all kind of things residing in the shadows.

Eruruu didn't look all too happy when Hakuoro said he considers her just a sister. However, she hasn't done any real moves to change that. Perhaps she's not all too sure of her own position in the new state of things in the country, and thus is too unsure to do anything. And how quickly Hakuoro suddenly just became the new emperor of the country surprised me. It's not like he didn't have leadership in him, and possibly the people pushed him to that position, but I expected him to oppose it a little.

Is it some Japanese thing to eat honeycomb with the living larvae still worming in there? I know they eat insects in many places in Asia, but that looked a bit peculiar...

Ryllharu
Mon, 05-29-2006, 07:39 AM
I thought the honeycomb with bees (larva or otherwise) was a little odd as well. I half expected some to come flying out of it.

Alternating the feel of scenes in a series is what makes them great, its the common format of any comedy or drama. It makes the comedy relief eps funnier (almost relieving the pressure of the previous parts) and the dramatic moreso (like the next eps will be).

I understand that Kamyu was older than Aruru and Yuzuha by at least a few years, and the series does find its origins in h-games, but was I the only one that thought she was a bit too considerably developed for her age? It weirded me out a little bit.

Kraco
Mon, 05-29-2006, 08:11 AM
was I the only one that thought she was a bit too considerably developed for her age? It weirded me out a little bit.

No, you weren't the only one, I assure you! It certainly stroke me as odd that she behaved like a kid when she indeed had such a womanly figure. Since this isn't an H-anime, I wonder why they didn't rationalize her design somewhat. Or perhaps they just couldn't. I don't know what manner of agreements the anime studios make with the authors of the original material. Or perhaps the director of this series really wanted to make an h-series, and since that wasn't possible, he just did what he could...

masamuneehs
Fri, 06-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Well episode 8 was definitely on the 'peaceful and quiet' side of things... which I guess you need every now and then.

Yeah, the Onwami (sp?) princesses are both pretty damn babeliscious, although the Kamyu girl really was like a second-grader in an 18 year old's body (that struck me pretty oddly), but that spell she tried to make herself invisible with was pretty cool. I like the prospect of seeing more magic in this show.

LOL at Hakuoro ditching out on work. Man I look up to that guy even more now.

NeoBear
Sun, 06-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Ep:9

http://bt.yesy-fansubs.com/%5Byesy%5D_Utawarerumono_-_09_%5B404DA0E8%5D.avi.torrent

FEEL THE LOVE!!!! =D

Kraco
Sun, 06-04-2006, 05:22 PM
It was certainly worth waiting for! An excellent episode. It again showed this isn't a series where one man decides the outcome of a battle with sheer strength. While there are the obvious heroes with above average prowess, they still need to mainly rely on either numbers or wise tactics. Or pretty ruthless tactics like in this episode.

Hopefully something can also happen between Eruruu and Hakuoro now that Hakuoro seemingly accepts that the girls want to be in and take part in the action. Certainly a few scenes in this episode again showed Eruruu already loves Hakuoro.

And the preview suggests more babes... Well, what else could you expect from a series whose roots are deep in the H...

Yukimura
Sun, 06-04-2006, 05:50 PM
Yes, more good stuff...Hakuoro knowing how to make explosives was a pleasant surprise, though that tactic cost him a defensive structure in the event of another invasion.

The chick from the preview looks like the fourth 'hero' level fighter from the OP, so after her and the girl with wings for ears we'll have met all of the 'important' charachters. I wonder what the main plot will turn out to be. I'm guessing some new foe that is gobbling up countries left and right and forces the different groups we've met to band togeather to defeat it. I hope i'm completely wrong though, surprises are better.

Death13a
Sun, 06-04-2006, 06:03 PM
I am in love with this series. The main character is the type that will use every trick that isn't even writen in the book. C4 explosive he probably read it somewhere or he knows about it from his past life. Eururu i hope won't be exactly on front lines but help the wounded or make more explosives or other biochamical stuff(gas). I hope Yue emperor won't disapear for long for it seems has figured out that something wasn't right with empty castel and when to see for himself. well this is easier on the mind that most villains won't be fat dumb asses in the future.

Ryllharu
Sun, 06-04-2006, 09:21 PM
C4 is a plastique. Wouldn't it have been more likely Nitroglycerin? The impact of the drop caused the explosion, so it was either that or a chemical explosive.

I love the tactical aspect of this series. Scorched Earth strategy, the only exception was that they were not his own supplies.

I'm sure that we should be paying more attention to Yuzuha's words. She said that he smells like the earth, so that would probably imply that Hakuoro is related in some way to some ancient natural force, it would also explain why he knows about the taboo explosives.

NeoBear
Sun, 06-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Ya know it’s dawned on me how sweet computer animation is as far as large scale battles go its nice that during the fights you can see things moving instead of panning stills. Kind of makes you wonder what some of the older animes like Berserk or Galactic Hero’s might have been like, all hail the might PC

Im sure Hakuoro will end up being some demon turned good guy you can tell that he is used to dirtying his hands and doesnt shy away from death if it's needed to win. but i still think he is awsome.

Kraco
Tue, 06-06-2006, 06:24 AM
It looks like this is a day early, but I certainly won't complain!

Utawarerumono ED Single (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Utawarerumono%20ED%20Single%20-%20Madoromi%20no%20Rinne%20%5BKawai%20Eri%5D.zip.t orrent)

masamuneehs
Tue, 06-06-2006, 06:59 AM
The brilliant tactics and strategies just keep coming. I thought that the taboo was going to be something worse, like poisioning their supplies or summoning some kind of demon.

Yue being at the castle was also a real shocker.He really has no choice but to either retreat back to his country (cautious) or make a desperate push to break through and take some of Hakuoro's supplies (still not enough to supply his huge army though)

More babes huh? The next one is "the mercanery" so it looks like they'll have to defeat her in order to get her to join up (ala Berserk). And I think you guys miscounted when you say this next is the last 'hero' to join up, since there's also a red-haired samurai girl in the OP who we've yet to see.

edit to Yuk- You're right. Someone must have put some extra stupid in my breakfast this morning

Kraco
Tue, 06-06-2006, 07:54 AM
The brilliant tactics and strategies just keep coming. I thought that the taboo was going to be something worse, like poisioning their supplies or summoning some kind of demon.

Yeah. I was 100% sure Hakuoro planned to poison the supplies. Thus I was actually surprised when the stuff blew up and set the castle on fire. Although in retrospect maybe this was the only intelligent outcome. After all, they needed to kill several sentries to get to the warehouse, and so if nothing had seemed strange after they pulled out, the enemy would surely have suspected something foul happened.

Yue is one tough old man. He looks like 70 years old, yet was able to easily fight Hakuoro.

Yukimura
Tue, 06-06-2006, 08:32 AM
@ masa, I said fourth, not last
In the big fight in the OP there are 5 people pwning regular soldiers
1) was Oboro
2) was Banawi's lieutenant
3) was Benawi
4) was this mercenary (I'm pretty sure)
5) is your redheaded samurai, who I referenced as ''the girl with wings for ears" Those stuck out to me more then the hair.

Mr Squiggles
Tue, 06-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Yue is one tough old man. He looks like 70 years old, yet was able to easily fight Hakuoro.
Not to mention the fact that he was walking right through a burning building and wasnt getting burnt in any way. So either he's some kind of fire sorceror, or captain plot hole paid a visit again.

IFHTT
Mon, 06-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Episode 10 by Yesy:
http://bt.yesy-fansubs.com/%5Byesy%5D_Utawarerumono_-_10_%5B2A980D7B%5D.avi.torrent

Ryllharu
Mon, 06-12-2006, 05:40 PM
As expected, a comedy eps.

How can you not be impressed by Karura? (ANN has it as Carla, but I sorta like yesy's better) With her new sword, she'd probably give Guts and the Dragonslayer a run for his money. I'm guessing from the tail and coloration on the ears that she's a tiger or more likely lion-woman, but that's not really important anyway. Drinks enough to put any other Nee-chan heroine to shame, and can break metal with her bare hands (claws?). Stereotypical tough-girl heroine to the core, but ya gotta love her.

On a more serious note, from Eruru's speech of foreshadowing and given how ruthless the other country is, I can't say I didn't see what appears to be coming in the next eps. The next one looks to be a bad one, but we also get to see the samurai heroine.

Kraco
Mon, 06-12-2006, 06:13 PM
The intro in this episode was impressive and awesome, even if the episode otherwise was quite comedic. However, I wouldn't really say it was a comedy episode. It just had a different kind of atmosphere, since it only introduced a new character. Well, the next ep indeed seems to be something totally different.

But I have to say that for some reason this episode felt like it ended far too soon. Perhaps because, once again, nothing else was there than the introduction of Karura. But she seems like an interesting character, although highly traditional like Ryllharu said.

Kraco
Fri, 06-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Well, if the previous episode did have some comedic elements, you can hardly say this had:

Episode 11 - Yesy (http://bt.yesy-fansubs.com/%5Byesy%5D_Utawarerumono_-_11_%5BA86B9F23%5D.avi.torrent)

I have a particular spot reserved in my heart for series that aren't afraid to kill characters, and fortunately Utawarerumono seems to be one of the series that allows dying. Of course it still remains to be seen if really important people can kick the bucket, but this episode already was an excellent one in how it depicted dead and the feelings of those left behind.

Well, aside from that, the really important things of course came at the end of the episode, when Hakuoro actually learned, possibly, something of his past. And based on the fact how fanatical the earlier task force had been, it could be that Hakuoro wasn't a jolly good fellow in his previous life. Maybe he was a participant in a failed coup d'etat, or something similar. Nevertheless he has done something to piss off people in power.

And the female samurai also made her first appearance. Remains to be seen what her role ends up being in the long run. Right now she seems like somebody to balance out Karura...

Lucifus
Fri, 06-23-2006, 01:16 PM
Excellent. Tokko 07 just came out as well.

Downloading, will comment later. Nice thoughts Kraco, I agree =P

Edit: Wow, excellent episode. Rak Shine o.0

I can tell the next couple episodes are gonna be entertaining.
Let lose the dogs of war. =P

Yukimura
Fri, 06-23-2006, 01:36 PM
Very good episode, Hakuoru/Rak's "I've had enough of this" was very nice, and Arururu's reaction to him was also excellent. He had an aura of righteous ruthlessness to him that I respected a lot. But now I'm torn between what I think he might do. He's such a good person that if he finds out he did something bad he might give himself over for punishment, especially to stop any further loss of innicent life. On the other hand, he's the emperor and he probably wouldn't feel right abbandoning his people like that, we'll just have to wait and see.

In addition Touka is cool, but really sanctimonious (lol I don't even know what this word means, I just know it fits into this situation fairly well) hopefully she won't stay that way, either because of some revelation or because Kaura bashes her head in.

Ryllharu
Fri, 06-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Hopefully Karura will bash her head in with her....there really isn't a word for a sword that shape and size is there? I'll use the Berserk naming method, Slab of Steel.

With how zealous she seems to be, at this point I really don't see how Touka would be able to switch sides. The next couple episodes will certainly be interesting.

I'll be rooting for an Empress Eruru though.

seanos
Fri, 06-23-2006, 02:11 PM
Very impressed with how this anime is going, like the new twist.
Once it doesn't go down the road of Hakuoru going into state of depression and so fourth, since he was the cause of the killing...
It handled the killing of central characters quite well too, didn't dwell on it too long (but used the childish character to bring emotion to the death).
Was amused by the cloth over the mouth part.

Kraco
Fri, 06-23-2006, 02:17 PM
He's such a good person that if he finds out he did something bad he might give himself over for punishment, especially to stop any further loss of innicent life. On the other hand, he's the emperor and he probably wouldn't feel right abbandoning his people like that, we'll just have to wait and see.

Well, whatever Hakuoro did in the past, it hardly justified the slaughter of the people in that one village just because Hakuoro happens to be the emperor. So, keeping that in mind, I would be quite surprised if Hakuoro suddenly began to think he's the bad guy and he must surrender himself to the other party.

Yukimura
Fri, 06-23-2006, 03:27 PM
Oh I forgot about the cloth, thanks seanos. I thought it was hilarious, but it didn't feel right coming off the death of a known and likable charachter. I'm not sure I like how they handled that, but maybe it wasn't supposed to be funny but just was to me.

EDIT: Static released 8 & 9
Uta - 08 by Static (http://www.point-blank.cc:16384/allowed/torrent.php/%5BSS%5D_Utawarerumono_-_08_%5B8F9C6943%5D.avi.torrent)
Uta - 09 by Static (http://www.point-blank.cc:16384/allowed/torrent.php/%5BSS%5D_Utawarerumono_-_09_%5BC686B5AE%5D.avi.torrent)

Kraco
Sat, 07-01-2006, 08:58 AM
The wait is over, and there shall be much exultation.

Episode 12 - Yesy (http://bt.yesy-fansubs.com/%5Byesy%5D_Utawarerumono_-_12_%5BDDAA6282%5D.avi.torrent)

A good episode with some wicked action. It's also interesting how Hakuoro's past is revealed; with no certainties if that's really how it was or why it happened. But it's clearly cracking Hakuoro, affecting him and the people around him. The gap between him and Eruruu has probably never been as wide as now, despite the last scene. Well, the war still goes on, no matter what the truth is and how Hakuoro feels. And things don't look too good for the opponent.

The bridge scene once more demonstrated the better qualities of this series: Karura fought at leisure for a moment, but when reminded of the real mission, immediately stopped the play, and executed the actual task. No useless extra fighting during precision operations.

Yukimura
Sat, 07-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Karura is an excellent charachter, she's got all the qualities of a good mercenary, she loves to fight and is good at it, but is never overcome by bloodlust to the point of ignoring her goals.

The Aruruu-Kamyu-Mukuruu Recon squad was pretty funny, but would be quite effective in practice, Kamyu can fly, Aruruu knows the land cuz she's always wandering around, and Mukuruu can smell stuff and ensure no one ever gets away if their discovered.

I also like how no one seems to be questioning Hakuoro, they all know him as the man who lost his memory and did all that good for them and no one seems to be doubting him because of these potential revalations about his past.

masamuneehs
Sun, 07-02-2006, 10:11 AM
haven't been watching much anime but since today's a sunday i figured two episodes of Uta were in the cards.

Man from that bit before the opening it sure looks like Hakuoro (or his evil brother or Mr. Hyde persona) was one real sick bastard. And if we also take the flashback as truth then it's the first time we're confirming that Rak/Hakuoro is more than a mere mortal.

I loved the duel between the Evinkuruga and Oboro. Despite being out-matched he still made a good attempt and her swinging the blade out from inside the core of the tree was the most awesome part in the episode.

I was wondering why Karura didn't just cut the bridge down the second her enemy backed up onto it, but I didn't think about the fact that she just might be enjoying the fight.

jesus christ the preview for episode 13... starts with lots of action, Hakuoro/Rak Shine facing off against his 'brother-in-law' and then some seemingly 'happy' shots of Aruruu and Eruruu with the creepy music and then the upcoming episode title 'Battle of Bloodshed' in that red font... I have really high hopes.

I like the sudden change that the series is taking, giving a dark side to Hakuoro and having the past catch up with him. No doubt Yue and Sherikiperitan (sp?) will come back at the worst possible time though...

But the most interesting thing now is Hakuoro. Early on we were throwing around ideas about his true identity, and now it's at the forefront of the show. I just have to wonder what kind of 'monster' is inside of him and from where his current personality comes from. Was he always a nice guy who got pushed to the edge? (though even in anger Hakuoro as we know him would never be the type to kill children) Or was he evil? Now I'm already willing to bet the bank that he's not human, or some kind of human/demon, but how come that side of him doesn't even seem to exist now?

seanos
Wed, 07-05-2006, 06:17 PM
Episode 10 & 11 by Static-Subs

http://www.staticsubs.org/releases/torrent.php?id=311
http://www.staticsubs.org/releases/torrent.php?id=312

Apraxhren
Sun, 07-09-2006, 08:05 PM
Episode 12 by Static Subs (http://www.staticsubs.org/releases/torrent.php?id=313)

Episode 13 by Yesy (http://bt.yesy-fansubs.com/%5Byesy%5D_Utawarerumono_-_13_%5B1D50A5E6%5D.avi.torrent)

Mr Squiggles
Mon, 07-10-2006, 04:11 AM
Nice ep. Good to see that the rift between Eruruu and Hakuoro has lessened a lot. I had been wondering what the emperor had been doing this entire time, seems he got himself one huge army.

But man, does the evil emperor have the most annoying cackle, or what?

bagandscalpel
Mon, 07-10-2006, 05:32 PM

You kidding? That was the most awesome evil cackle I've heard in a long time; besides, it does its job of being signature.

Can't help but feel the enemy's role as Hakuoro's step-brother got somewhat wasted, in the end. Though, bringing out the beast within Hakuoro was quite something.

Deadfire
Tue, 07-11-2006, 10:15 AM
This series gives me alot that I like. The whole flow of the story, is very well done, there are still questions, some answers but we are still looking for that next ep to get some more of a hint at the overall story. I really like it for alot more then just that but thats one thing I really like that I've found some animes are not really doing. It really gives the watch something to think about and try to picture those things he/she may be missing

On the note about the ep like always it gives us more questions as well another conflict (This country has alot of wars doesn't it...) I'm interested to know how our new heroine (Aren't they all...)will join up.

MFauli
Tue, 07-11-2006, 02:54 PM
What i always wanted to say:

Utawarerumono feels like a anime-series about the Fire Emblem-videogame series from Nintendo.
Laguz say "hello" ^^

SamuraiOdin
Tue, 07-11-2006, 09:24 PM
I get more of a Suikoden vibe if we relate it to a console game.

Board of Command
Wed, 07-12-2006, 12:15 AM
I hated that part too.

Yukimura
Wed, 07-12-2006, 02:02 AM
Uta - 14 by Yesy (http://yesy.fansub-torrents.com/%5Byesy%5D_Utawarerumono_-_14_%5B531CF5AE%5D.avi.torrent)

Lol Kaura Smash! indeed. And I'm glad Touka came to, she seems to kick ass on an higher level now that she's with Hakuoro.

Mr Squiggles
Wed, 07-12-2006, 02:09 AM
^ Damnit Yuki, you beat me to it :rolleyes: can't wait till it finishes downloading.

You kidding? That was the most awesome evil cackle I've heard in a long time umm, you haven't heard many evil cackles if you think this one is good...

Deadfire
Wed, 07-12-2006, 01:21 PM
it's a good thing I'm skilled in finding things the tracker is done use this link instead (http://yesy.fansub-torrents.com/%5Byesy%5D_Utawarerumono_-_14_%5B531CF5AE%5D.avi.torrent)

Darknodin
Wed, 07-12-2006, 09:56 PM
Is it me... or ep 14 was way bloodier than the previous ones... I mean body parts were flying left and right... a kid got shot with her mother in the beginning... etc.

bagandscalpel
Wed, 07-12-2006, 10:57 PM
No, it wasn't just you.

The animation was pretty ridiculous, this episode- ridiculously good, that is. Albeit, it did lend itself to some odd character designs every now and then.

Mr Squiggles
Thu, 07-13-2006, 12:29 AM
Yeah, the new-found violence satisfied the psychokiller in me. This is getting very interesting now (and not just because of the gore).

seanos
Thu, 07-13-2006, 09:58 AM
Opening scene was excellent (arrows), watched it a couple of times, nicely done.
This series impresses me as it develops, it's progress is smooth, and flows seamlessly.

The 'evil' emperor does interest me, although not nearly as much as his winged accomplice (who is obviously controlling the situation). Hopefully see more of the winged race as they are the most interesting race so far (can't help but feel they are superior to every other race, and they are controlling everything from behind the scenes - in a subtle fashion).

Ryllharu
Thu, 07-13-2006, 10:41 AM
The animation was pretty ridiculous, this episode- ridiculously good, that is. Albeit, it did lend itself to some odd character designs every now and then.

The animation was flawless, flowed well and showed great movement, but the drawing itself was looking a bit on the low budget rush-job side. I hope its just temporary so they can shore up some time and cash.

About the winged partner of Crazy Cackle, I got more of a 'he's an outcast' feel from him. I'm not very trusting of Urtri either, since she seems to know a lot more about the goings on of the world than she chooses to share with the rest of the Tuskuru crowd. Of course, there is also still the question of why Kamyu seems to be the only of her kind who has black wings (the difference is always important in anime).

masamuneehs
Thu, 07-13-2006, 05:02 PM
i was confused.
So Yue manipulated that dude to go after Hakuoro. But did Hak actually do all those things? I mean, yes he's obviously something demonic, but only Yue reacted like he understood the reason behind it. The guy calling Hakuoro "Rak Shine" didn't seem to have any idea what he was getting into... So I am sort of thinking Hak doesn't have that evil past.

I hope episode 14 solves this.

oh, it wasn't the tops as far as animation, but episode 13 was pretty damn awesome. That Evinkuruga is vicious, and Yue should probably regret losing her. Him putting that arrow through the dude's neck was cold-blooded, but perhaps he should have used him more.

Morale was low in Hak's corps, but it should be better now.

edit - wow episode 14 was so much gorier than previous ones. It was awesome! Yue's laugh is the pits though...

SamuraiOdin
Fri, 07-14-2006, 10:16 PM
Anyone know what the title of the opening song for Utawarerumono is? Seems like it'd be a cool mp3 to find and download =)

Board of Command
Fri, 07-14-2006, 11:20 PM
Utawarerumono OP Single - Musou Uta [Suara]

Mashux7
Sun, 07-16-2006, 01:57 PM
I just dl uta 14 and man that was so great i hope the battle will be great to watch when they will put everything on one big army again Yue 's army

Munsu
Sun, 07-16-2006, 08:15 PM
Finally caught up...

I was having my doubts up to episode 4, but the action really picked up from episode 5 and on. What I like most of this series is that it has a lot of army vs. army types of battles, some involving strategies... and also the faces Eruruw makes when someone talks to her about being in loved.

Deadfire
Mon, 07-17-2006, 02:43 PM
It looks like Static-Subs caught up and passed yesy

Utawarerumono 15 (http://bt.nanashi-fansubs.com:2710/torrents/ec9d4f4ce66d56e94f1aef15850c645c1828ba07.torrent)

Death13a
Mon, 07-17-2006, 06:11 PM
Awsome isn't come close to episode. download and watch as the series realy pick up now.
Spoilers:

even throught insane emperor dies but more questions keeping piling up. Like what with that angel person and whats up with hakuro? (even through some answer to question is bluntly presented)

Yukimura
Mon, 07-17-2006, 06:23 PM
It just gets better and better, each ep builds so well on the others with action, resolutions, and new mysteries virtually every time. And even if it didn't have all that, it has Karura and therefore is awesome.

Whatever Hakuoro is I think the winged people might know about it, even if they don't know that he is one of them. And from the preview the Evinkuruga may become more important soon as well.

Darknodin
Tue, 07-18-2006, 09:52 PM
I don't really like SS... translations are okay, just the names (I guess its mainly because i've been using Yesy and got used to them)

about the last episode... what the hell is Karura!? really... its starting to puzzle me. everyone else has interesting abilities, but Karura's are really out of this world... "Monster" indeed. maybe she's like Hakuoro?

Yukimura
Tue, 07-18-2006, 10:31 PM
Uta 16 by...Your-Mom? (http://weedy.1.vg:8395/torrents/%5BYour-Mom%5D%20Utawarerumono%20-%2016%20%5B00000010%5D.avi.torrent?info_hash=242a8 b5cbc393103f1efbec62955cde6460096b3) I'm not sure what they're playing at, but i'm trying it out b/c i'm just that hooked on Karura.

To answer your question DarkNodin, Karura is simply an invincible godess of beautiful destruction and innuendo.

EDIT: The Your-Mom sub seems legit, but no Karaoke's, they made up thier own spellings for the places, they mess up grammer occasionally, and they typeset in the kakakakakakaka's from the old emporer....

Munsu
Tue, 07-18-2006, 10:42 PM
The names are fine, in some cases I preffer yesy, in others I preffer SS... for example "Rak Shine"? I reffuse to believe that's correct. Other than that, I preffer the encoding, translations, and editing of the SS release, so I'll take them over yesy any time.

About Your-Mom, last I know all they were releasing were joke subs... I wont risk checking it out, let me know...

Munsu
Wed, 07-19-2006, 03:41 PM
Sorry for the double post, but I just read a post in another forum that explains SS's naming scheme, I thought it might be interesting to understand things in the anime better.

One thing that didn't sit too well with me in SS' version was the spelling of Eruruu's and Aruruu's names as Eruruw and Aruruw, when the original names are spelled エルルゥ and アルルゥ. If SS explained this somewhere, I wasn't able to find it.

I guess we should've put in an explanation on the website or something. Basically, Utawarerumono has heavy Ainu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ainu_people) influences. The people in Tusukur's village all dress in Ainu-ish garb. Their village is situated on the northeastern part of the continent, whereas the Ainu are currently situated on the northeastern part of Japan. The names used have an Ainu flair to them, including エルルゥ, アルルゥ and トゥスクル. The Japanese word for the sung vocal traditions of the legends of the Ainu people are called うたわれるもの, though that is not the only interpretation of the title. Thus, considering all these Ainu influences, it seems appropriate to use their romanization system to bring forth the exotic quality that comes with it. Hence, Aruruw and Eruruw are romanized according to the official Ainu romanization system. The Ainugo Jiten (Ainu dictionary) published by Sanseido was used to determine the proper way to romanize Ainu (and in this case, the Ainu-ish language used by the people in Utawarerumono). To be a bit more specific, Aruruw is essentially 3 syllables in Ainugo: A ru ruw. The 'ruw' is the r consonant sound, followed by the u vowel sound and then ending with a consonant sound of w. Oh, and fun trivia fact, Tusukur means "sorcerer"/"magician" in Ainugo.

seanos
Wed, 07-19-2006, 04:14 PM
That is some amount of impressive detail to go into for fansubbing.

Darknodin
Wed, 07-19-2006, 08:17 PM
thanks for the info... Yea I understood that SS was simply different (and probably better) with the names... Your-Mom though is awful ("kakakakakakaka")... but i can't seem to wait to see the next ep...I guess i'll download anything that's marginally better than a raw.

as for ep 16... another good ep... and the start of several storylines it seems... with the new King... and with Kamyu.

Yukimura
Sat, 07-22-2006, 02:15 AM
Yesy catches up: Uta - 15 (http://bt.yesy-fansubs.com/%5Byesy%5D_Utawarerumono_-_15_%5BFEA25B20%5D.avi.torrent) & Uta - 16 (http://bt.yesy-fansubs.com/%5Byesy%5D_Utawarerumono_-_16_%5BED2332CD%5D.avi.torrent)

Kraco
Sat, 07-22-2006, 07:03 AM
Ho... After two weeks away from anime, I suddenly had 4 episodes of Utawarerumono to watch! It was like a second Christmas.

One thing that seems to have been a continuing, consistent feature of the series is the chain of enemy bosses, or perhaps steps of enemies. First it was the pesky local feudal lord, then his relative the Emperor, then Yue's pawn (and Yue already), then Yue himself. And now Yue is gone and no doubt we will face another, even bigger and meaner enemy lord. It's rather unique to not know at all what the situation will be after a couple of episodes.

Interestingly enough the pace still haven't felt too hurried. Scenes with Eruruu and Aruruu, the duels between the heroes, and other things not directly related to the bigger plot (or bigger things and Hakuoro's past), alleviate any hurried feelings effectively. This series has certainly demonstrated masterful execution in that sense, like in almost every sense also otherwise.

masamuneehs
Sun, 07-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Karura was so wicked sick in episode 15. It was very Guts-esque the way she took two attacks from the swordsmen just so she could literally squash the leader.

As for what the silent angel guy has been up to, I think those zombie soldiers in Yue's castle are quite obviously products of the little project he's been working on.

Yue's referring to "awakening the beast" seems to pick up on the demi-human compositions of all the tribes/races in this show. It seems that the tails, ears and whatnot are actually more than just show, although what is not exactly clear. Interestingly enough, the only character with no animal features (although...) is Hakuoro, and he is truly "the best beast"

Yue's burning his own city was both stupid and awesome. Totally gives Hakuoro a bum rap, but you wonder what Yue would have done if he'd survived...

seanos
Sun, 07-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Well, he was to blame it on Hakuoro - and his objective was not to kill Hakuoro, it was to release the beast within him, so if Yue survived he would have thought it worth it I believe.

Yukimura
Tue, 07-25-2006, 09:36 AM
[yesy] Utawarerumono - 17 (http://bt.yesy-fansubs.com/%5Byesy%5D_Utawarerumono_-_17_%5B5FD891C1%5D.avi.torrent)

Nice episode, i'm continually amazed by this series' fluid blending of comedy, story, and action, always delivering but still leaving us wanting more.

And more of those H-Game roots were made apparent by Dorii, Gura, and Oboro's alleged drunken threeway. Karura I'm here when ever your ready!

Kraco
Tue, 07-25-2006, 12:33 PM
A really splendid episode indeed. And I fully agree on the totally succesful blending of themes. Somehow it all seems just natural and naturally funny, not inconsistent. It's a strong series with strong characters.

Especially Touka was funny in this episode, with the two tailed creature. Her ever cool samurai exterior cracked quite badly! In this episode much more so than earlier it's demonstrated how all the characters are quite honestly themselves in Hakuoro's company, and don't necessarily try to appear to be something else.

It was also funny how Eruruu's tail was wagging up and down when Hakuoro complimented her developing skills. Man, I wish Hakuoro would again touch the tail... Maybe Eruruu's response would now end differently.

Mashux7
Tue, 07-25-2006, 12:43 PM
It is me or the link doesnt work cause now i cant even open the torrent file

Ryllharu
Tue, 07-25-2006, 01:24 PM
@Mashux: I believe their tracker was down for a bit.

Eruru's tail wag was certainly one of the funnier parts of this eps, combined with the druken three-way of Oboro and the twins. Touka's softer side was completely unexpected. Not to leave anyone out, as always, Karura's amusing druken behavior.

I wonder about Kamyu's thirst in the previous eps. We found out she's...whatever they said she was, loved by all life in the world, but her sister suspected that she would be thirsty when she showed up. Very odd.

The young Empress brought up a lot of incomprehensible words and terms, but one important point. Hakuoro will have to pick a wife sometime (apparently he's even expected to have more than one). The choice seems obvious, but I'm willing to bet he's never really thought about it before. I'm hoping this will lead to more wagging and tail touching with Eruru.

Looks like the next eps is mostly about Karura.

(woot 1000th post)

Mashux7
Tue, 07-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Ok but i just started dl it thanks Ryllharu

seanos
Tue, 07-25-2006, 02:49 PM
Static-Subs released Episode 16 (http://www.staticsubs.org/releases/torrent.php?id=317)

Death13a
Tue, 07-25-2006, 06:25 PM
I loved Benwai reply to more reports, Eruru's tail waging was hilarious, and twins gender confirmed with their hair let out and obor looked pwned. Hakuoro chosing a wife should be intresting, Touka's waiting for creature was funny.

Yukimura
Tue, 07-25-2006, 09:20 PM
Actually i've been through 3 seprate irc arguments as to whether the twins are male or female today. On the one hand, drunken gay 3-ways are quite uncool to most people I know (don't know about Japan though, and I also don't have a porblem with drunken gay 3-ways themselves...I just don't want to see them) so if this consensus is shared but most Japanese viewers this ep might be a confirmation of their femininity.

On the other hand it has been more or less confirmed that the tails aren't female specific, though females seem to have them a lot more then males. But since nothing gender specific was shown in the ep (I argued that only women have hair that good, but Haku was brought up, and he had some nice hair too) there is still the possibity that those two (and thus Oboro albeit drunkenly) are just as gay as can be.

bagandscalpel
Wed, 07-26-2006, 05:01 AM
Thoughts and reflections on this episode:

- A very well done humor episode in it's entirety, oh, and I love characters who make an entrance by dropping half-a-dozen name bombs.

- Why does Eruruu say, "With this (honey), even Aruruu drinks it (anti-hangover concoction)"? Does this imply that Aruruu is a raging drunk off the scenes?

- Gachatara's species rare? I doubt it, seeing as how Hakuoro saw the same creature once or twice already during his random wanderings into the wood to watch Kamyu fly around. I bet the merchant swiped it out of the woods.

Kraco
Wed, 07-26-2006, 06:35 AM
- Why does Eruruu say, "With this (honey), even Aruruu drinks it (anti-hangover concoction)"? Does this imply that Aruruu is a raging drunk off the scenes?

What exactly is a hangover remedy? I don't believe a real one exist even today, with all the multibillion medicine reseach in the industry. They are just something that alleviate the general symptoms, and those same symptoms are shared by great many conditions (headache, nausea, etc).

- Gachatara's species rare? I doubt it, seeing as how Hakuoro saw the same creature once or twice already during his random wanderings into the wood to watch Kamyu fly around. I bet the merchant swiped it out of the woods.

Maybe there are numerous species in the same genus with outwards differences not so obvious. That is true in the real world for lots of species, and could be true for that creature and it's close relatives.

Ryllharu
Wed, 07-26-2006, 07:15 AM
What exactly is a hangover remedy? I don't believe a real one exist even today, with all the multibillion medicine reseach in the industry. They are just something that alleviate the general symptoms, and those same symptoms are shared by great many conditions (headache, nausea, etc)..

Prairie Oyster:

1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 dashes vinegar
Dash Tabasco Sauce
Pinch salt and pepper

note: When drinking, the egg yolk should be swallowed whole.

Usually, there's an ounce of alcohol mixed in there too (to really cure the hangover by getting you buzzed again). This is the only "real" one I know of. I imagine Eruru's didn't taste a whole lot better than these do.

Kraco
Wed, 07-26-2006, 07:30 AM
Prairie Oyster:

1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 dashes vinegar
Dash Tabasco Sauce
Pinch salt and pepper

note: When drinking, the egg yolk should be swallowed whole.

Usually, there's an ounce of alcohol mixed in there too (to really cure the hangover by getting you buzzed again). This is the only "real" one I know of. I imagine Eruru's didn't taste a whole lot better than these do.

Somehow I think you'd just suddenly get better so that you wouldn't need to ingest that. And I think this was also true for Oboro.

chobits1217
Wed, 07-26-2006, 04:03 PM
damn this episode is awesom with so much fan services
(ya i think all those funny scenes are more like fan services~)

i just love the tail waging and touka's reaction to the creature. (sorta reminds me of that samurai girl in Love Hina...)

by the way i don't get, how come people actually get confused about the twins' gender??
i was laughing my ass off when my friend told me he didn't know they are female until this episode@@ what the hell....

Board of Command
Thu, 07-27-2006, 11:46 PM
Oboro is a pimp. Wow.

Yukimura
Fri, 07-28-2006, 12:06 AM
@chobits: I forgot to mention this in my earlier post but, in the source game, the twins were boys, which seems to have caused a lot of confusion amoung people who've played the game.

Woot my 500th post is an addendum...should have come here before the NHK one!

Aiham
Fri, 07-28-2006, 12:25 AM
I have to say, I actually thought they were guys and I was totally surprised when I watched the latest episode. But still, even if I knew they were girls, I was still surprised because of them just suddenly having a threesome, Lol.

complich8
Fri, 07-28-2006, 01:32 AM
They seemed a little too concerned about their master's well-being not to be involved with him. Besides, as the emperor said, there's nothing wrong with liking women... it shouldn't be that much of a surprise.

I wonder what sort of effect that scene might have on the doujin authors though ... it's hard to really make up stuff that's pretty clearly confirmed like that... it'd make it feel less ... you know ... unofficial. Or something.

masamuneehs
Tue, 08-01-2006, 02:06 AM
man this show continues to rock! I'm intrigued with the new young emperor, and his bodyguard seems to be kickass as well...

lol at adding honey cracking the medicine bowl! That scene man, so friggin hilarious!

this anime has tons of alcholism in it. I absolutely love it.

and the merchant guy: "So, would they be your new concubines?" That guy is awesome. Reminds me of Ichimaru Gin in a way, less creepy and sarcastic though.

the emperor's talk with hakuoro was entertaining, particularly the bit about wives and securing the throne through an heir. Man, Hak really needs to move on that or we'll start thinking he's...

and speaking of the that ... people here seem to be pretty staunch on the idea that the archer twins are female. Well, ya know, they sure do make the most of that fuzzy line between the sexes... I've heard that in the H-game they are male, but either way, man it was so blunt that they'd just suddenly seduce Oboro like that... Honestly I think the anime guys are intentionally fucking with us in regard to their gender...

Ryllharu
Tue, 08-01-2006, 06:37 AM
They did tell us in an earlier eps that the twins were indeed girls. I could never remember which, but they were still in the village at the time. The merchant confirmed it in his first appearance as well. If I felt more industrious, perhaps I'd go looking. They are were not making it easy to figure out though. As some others have said, this was probably intentional since they apparently changed them from the H-game.

Then, they pull the same thing on us with Amuruurinuruekaieou (intentionally misspelled). You think for all of eps 17 that s/he's a young boy emperor, as does Hakuoro, and then they throw us all revealing she's actually a young Empress.

It's amazing that a series can continue to throw the audience time and time again. With the plot advancing more quickly than any of us anticipated (who expected Yue to die off so fast, or even the first fat emperor of Tsukuru?) we are left guessing all the time. This has really become one of the best series of 2006.

Yukimura
Tue, 08-01-2006, 09:19 PM
Utawarerumono - 18 - [Your-Mom] (http://weedy.1.vg:8396/torrents/%5BYour-Mom%5D%20Utawarerumono%20-%2018%20%5BCC86B81A%5D.avi.torrent?info_hash=a0b7d 23e2d7e39712187b8bb882fe100f87b05e6)
I don't particularly like Your-Mom's work, but Uta is still Uta, and I'll get the Yesy version when it comes out.

Death13a
Tue, 08-01-2006, 11:10 PM
http://bt.yesy-fansubs.com/%5Byesy%5D_Utawarerumono_-_18_%5B8F40E43E%5D.avi.torrent
Utawarerumono - 18 Yesy

another excellent. Begining was very intresting.

Lucifus
Tue, 08-01-2006, 11:20 PM
Excellent! :D Downloading yesys =)

Goddamn, this show is good. Gonna be close for me to chose between F/SN and Utawarerumono as teh best anime of '06.

Yukimura
Tue, 08-01-2006, 11:43 PM
OMG KARURA!!!!! Where is the Karura fan art! Where is my Karura Sig, where is my Karura wallpaper. If any of you want to make one DO IT AND SEND ME THE LINK!!!!!!!!!

Karura for Best Heroine of '06 (Action).

Anyway, besides the obvious awesome parts of this ep, namely Karura being awesome at every aspect of life. We still have overprotective Touka, and awkward moment Eruuru on the comedic side. I hate the anime girls ALWAYS have to have that reaciton at some point in their shows, and it's ALWAYS the exact same after the event. I imagine it's b/c girls act the same way in real life, but i've never been in that particular situation...

Anyway, as well as bondage Hakuoro, and Urutori's (older angel girl's) Kamehameha. Somehow every episode of Uta makes me just as shocked and excited and happy...I think they might be transmitting crack along with it. I alomost forgot about how bad Your-Mom's version was, because even with yellow shit randomly appearing on the screen that was still the my favorite ep to date.

Lucifus
Wed, 08-02-2006, 01:08 AM
My god....Give me H!! Karura is teh shytznite! Greatest ep yet.:D

Hmm....I do so love F/SN....but I think i'd have to go with Utawarerumono as best anime of '06.
I really can't wait for the next ep.

10/10 this ep. O, and I second that Yukimaru!:cool: Best Heroine of '06!

Kraco
Wed, 08-02-2006, 04:42 AM
Aye. It was a great episode. It also demonstrated how Hakuoro is a first generation emperor: to travel with a few buddies to help some rebellion elsewhere.

The triangle scene was to be expected sooner or later, no doubt of that. Considering how Eruruu and Hakuoro have been a kind of destined pair right from the beginning, yet have not really moved any closer to each other, but still there is some unity between them. So, true to traditions, like you said Yukimura, there had to be a scene like that.

I'm a little concerned of what happened to the greater plot now. Surely it must be there somewhere, but this looks more like a sidetrack.

The funniest single moment of this episode:
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/3863/heywhatswrongmp3.jpg
Maybe those three arrows sticking out of his back..?

Ryllharu
Wed, 08-02-2006, 06:50 AM
As for the greater plot, I believe it lies in the OP. There is the one panning shot of all the people who didn't live in the original village or Tuskuru Castle. It contains in it all the characters that have been hostile to Hakuoro and company. Some people we haven't seen before, some just showed up recently. (I'm still working on how their position up the chart and size relates to their relative malevolence at their given time in the series, if at all). At the top we've got the Young Empress and at the very top in the shadows, an angel man who almost certainly was Yue's assistant. The final conflict will undoubtedly involve him.

There is also little doubt that Hakuoro's empress will be Eruru. I kinda just wish they'd get on with it and have him grab her tail again, but these things take time.

What I found most shocking was Urutori's kameamea Gravity Blast. It made all of them into very squishy lumps in a big hole. I figured she had some form of magical/divine power, but I certainly never expected gravity manipulation.

@Kraco: great picture. You just made my morning.

masamuneehs
Wed, 08-02-2006, 10:54 AM
I thought this episode was pretty good, but like Kraco I was slightly dismayed by what looks to be another deviation (or perhaps post-ponement is the better word) from the main plot. Not to say I don't want to know more about Karura's past and other nations, but I just fear that in 26 episodes there's not enough time...

H-game roots showed strongly in this episode. Guess even Uta isn't immune to the standard jealousy/misunderstanding segment required in almost every anime... But I must say I haven't been this invested in seeing a couple get together since Shakugan no Shana. You not only need to like the characters, but also care enough about them. That character development is what i like about Uta.

Benawi's reaction to Hak and the girls all getting away was probably the funniest part of the episode for me.

The rest of Urutori's clan need to fight more often! That magic is awesome! And they just slipped it in, like it was no big deal. But it was sweet as candy.

@Ryll - I never paused to see everyone in that gigantic pan shot of all the enemies in the OP. The fact that the masked empress with the impossible name is up there really comes as a surprise to me, as I thought she was surely going to become an ally of Hak's.

Ryllharu
Wed, 08-02-2006, 12:33 PM
This is all wild speculation, but it seems to me that since Urutori's clan are reverently referred to and considered mediators, that in itself would be how the young empress would end up opposed to Hakuoro and various consorts. We know from the episode she was in that she is extremely devout, and I wonder if Shadowy Winged Bastard will play off of that to turn her against Hakuoro, with whom she was very impressed before. A faked betrayal could quite possibly turn her into a serious enemy.

As for timing, they'll easily wrap the Karura segment in the next eps, as they have so excellently executed the story arcs in the past. That leaves plenty of time for the rest of the villans to show up.

Lucifus
Wed, 08-02-2006, 10:22 PM
And god said....Let there be light!

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/3729/77jl0.jpg

LaZie
Wed, 08-02-2006, 10:35 PM
And instead of actually making a sig of it, you just cropped it sigh....You're not going to get your artistic abilities back if you do it that way :p

Also, find me a HQ Touka image :p

Lucifus
Thu, 08-03-2006, 01:41 AM
Haha, I know, but tell me it doesn't look sweet. :D Hmmm...Touka...lets see what I can dig up.:cool:

Utawarerumono Fanart =P -- http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?p=305608#post305608

Kraco
Thu, 08-03-2006, 03:25 AM
Over at the Yesy forums people have posted quite a few good images, so it's also worth visiting, if you are looking for pictures.

Kraco
Sat, 08-05-2006, 04:26 PM
ADV to Release Utawarerumono (2006-08-05 12:41:20)
ADV announced that they have licensed Utawarerumono, which will be released in North America under the name Shadow Warrior Chronicles. It is expected to be released early 2007.

Shadow Warrior Chronicles? Lol? I wonder who came up with a name like that. Maybe somebody had invented the name once upon the time, and was only waiting for any series to apply it on. No matter if it has anything to do with the series. But Utawarerumono might be a little hard for English speakers. It isn't very memorable even for Finnish speakers.

No word yet over at the Yesy forums of what might be the fate of their fansub.

bagandscalpel
Sat, 08-05-2006, 09:36 PM
Shadow Warrior Chronicles... Oh boy...

Sounds like the same congenital idiot, who brilliantly titled the Ruroken OVAs, strikes again.

That'll be sort of odd; having the title logo on the opening be completely and utterly different than it's English christening.

Ryllharu
Sun, 08-06-2006, 08:38 PM
They'll ignore the title opening's actual meaning and translate it as "Shadow Warrior Chronicles" anyway. Lots of companies did it in the 80's and 90's.

Well, maybe if they hear enough outrage from the anime community they'll tack on a separate title like Funimation decided with Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. The creator told them to translate it as "Rumbling Hearts" though the title is more accurately "The eternity you desire." Response by fans of the immensely popular romance series got them to add a subtitle to it, bringing back the name Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, at least underneath.

This series deserves to get licensed, and I'm glad people in the dvd community will get to see it.

EDIT: Actually, there's a little hope too. Found this on the ANN forums.

"Actually, I'm thinking that the people at the panel may have swapped this title and the one they gave Shin Angyo Onshi (Blade of the Phantom Mask). If you swap the two titles, they make far, far more sense."

Mr. Fencedude, bull's eye! Hakuoro's mask would definitely remind people The Phantom of the Opera, and the job of Angyo Onshi are, of course, very shadowy -- Angyo stands for "walking/performing in the dark."

Blade of the Phantom Mask still isn't right, but it's a lot better.

masamuneehs
Mon, 08-07-2006, 12:47 AM
"a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet"

either way, whatever name it gets, I'm glad Uta's getting licensed. Good animes like this one should be distributed (outside of the internet) around the globe. But yes, the questionable name of the title immediately raises concerns about the quality the licensor is going to do on it...

bagandscalpel
Mon, 08-07-2006, 03:22 AM
"a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet"

either way, whatever name it gets, I'm glad Uta's getting licensed. Good animes like this one should be distributed (outside of the internet) around the globe. But yes, the questionable name of the title immediately raises concerns about the quality the licensor is going to do on it...

Even if the title turns out to be less than desirable, since it's ADV, like the Ruroken OVAs, I'm hopeful that the quality will be topnotch, regardless.

"Shadow Warrior Chronicles," or not, this is one series I'm still going to purchase.

seanos
Mon, 08-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Static-Subs Episode 17 (http://www.staticsubs.org/releases/torrent.php?id=322)

Kraco
Thu, 08-10-2006, 06:11 AM
Blessed Yesy!

Episode 19 - Yesy (http://bt.yesy-fansubs.com/%5Byesy%5D_Utawarerumono_-_19_%5BD8141E13%5D.avi.torrent)

Edit: A pretty good episode. But of course nothing less can be expected from this series. It looks right now like these past two episodes was just a small, independent arc to develop Karura's character. Whilst this series has had an almost record breaking ability to compress battles and conclusions in very few episodes, and this arc was no exception, I'm inclined to still say that ability was slightly cracking in this episode. Although much of that feeling might actually belong to the lack of any connection to the greater plot and thus greater meaning.

Well, at least we got one nutcase emperor more... Can't have too many of those, can we? It seems like that world has a requirement that emperors can be quite healthy persons. I guess Hakuoro qualifies as well with his hidden demonic side.

The next ep previous promises grander battles, but who were all those new faces? It looks like there will be a whole host of new characters to stare at.

LaZie
Thu, 08-10-2006, 05:10 PM
It's more bunny eared people :p

bagandscalpel
Thu, 08-10-2006, 10:24 PM
...and what looks to be a display of medieval mecha.

joker-kun
Fri, 08-11-2006, 12:05 AM
Is this show actually as good as people are saying? If so, mind giving me a little explnanation of what it's is about?

TruthofMistake
Fri, 08-11-2006, 12:13 AM
Basically, the main char. wakes up on a sickbed in a village healers house. He becomes attached to the occupents of said house, and when trouble for the village starts he goes out of his way to help them. This starts off a chain of events that lead to him becoming the emperor of a small nation. The rest is, so far, him managing said kingdom. Sorry I'm trying to be vague so I dont ruin to much for you =\. It's a really good series though.

Darknodin
Fri, 08-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Blessed Yesy!

Episode 19 - Yesy (http://bt.yesy-fansubs.com/%5Byesy%5D_Utawarerumono_-_19_%5BD8141E13%5D.avi.torrent)

Edit: A pretty good episode. But of course nothing less can be expected from this series. It looks right now like these past two episodes was just a small, independent arc to develop Karura's character. Whilst this series has had an almost record breaking ability to compress battles and conclusions in very few episodes, and this arc was no exception, I'm inclined to still say that ability was slightly cracking in this episode. Although much of that feeling might actually belong to the lack of any connection to the greater plot and thus greater meaning.

Well, at least we got one nutcase emperor more... Can't have too many of those, can we? It seems like that world has a requirement that emperors can be quite healthy persons. I guess Hakuoro qualifies as well with his hidden demonic side.

The next ep previous promises grander battles, but who were all those new faces? It looks like there will be a whole host of new characters to stare at.

I disagree about the conclusion. Yea it was fast, but it didn't feel rushed to me, and I was kind of expecting it. One thing though... I'm starting to think that Hakuoro doesn't really need an army anymore.

LaZie
Fri, 08-11-2006, 04:45 PM
Well this episode was alright. It just wasn't right when the Bad Guy got beat down so easily. He showed absolutely no resistance whatsoever.

complich8
Fri, 08-11-2006, 05:29 PM
Meh, emperors are pussies. Except for Hakuoro. He's the man... killin' muthafuckas with a steel fan. How hardcore do you have to be for that?

Knives122
Fri, 08-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Apparently hardcore enough to have a inner dinner in yourself.

masamuneehs
Fri, 08-11-2006, 09:38 PM
19 was good, although i thought they were pushing it with the 'almost incest' implied attractions.

Wrapped up a nice backstory on Karura. The flower bed on top of bodies was pretty awesome, but the villian this time was really pretty pathetic. What was nice was seeing the Tori sisters use more of their magic. That was pretty bad ass.

Church
Fri, 08-11-2006, 09:50 PM
Did Karura punched that soldier's head off?! wow...

Kirai no Tenshi
Mon, 08-14-2006, 08:29 PM
Ok, I'm finally catching up with this series, and I'm enjoying it so far.
I only have a few complaints.
Firstly, the tiger doesn't seem to have a consistent anatomy. when they animate it, the proportions seem pretty random, which is a little annoying.
Secondly, the progression of the story seems to be a little clumsy. Although I know it would be boring if they didn't do the tactical-style time lapse scenes, they feel pretty forced.
Thirdly, when combat is happening, the main characters seem to repeat exactly the same moves every battle (the one that comes to mind is Hakuoro turns his mount, knocking someone over with the tail, and hits someone from above with hist fist).

On the plus side, I love the archers (I'm presuming these are the twin that people talk about), and the way that the overall battles seem to be well choreographed. The way it doesn't ignore the effects of events on the people is also a nice touch.

Basically, I have a few complaints, but overall, I'm thinking this is one I'll have to buy.

Average breast size seems to have taken a giant leap around episode 8, too.
I don't have anything against breasts, but when a characters breasts are more noticable than the fact they have wings, it tends to fill me with a mild sense of apprehension.

Kraco
Tue, 08-15-2006, 01:00 PM
Average breast size seems to have taken a giant leap around episode 8, too.
I don't have anything against breasts, but when a characters breasts are more noticable than the fact they have wings, it tends to fill me with a mild sense of apprehension.

Details like that only mean the anime is aware of its origins. There's nothing wrong with that. All actual H-elements have been wiped out, so character design that still might reflect the requirements of the source is a relic left behind. Keeping that in mind, don't let it bother you.

Yukimura
Tue, 08-15-2006, 02:39 PM
Bad Kirai! Use the edit button! You gonna hear about this on IRC later...

Anyway, reusing footage is pretty common, unfortunately, but if you want to make yourself feel better just watch Gundam Seed Destiny, then you'll see what reusing footage can really do to a series. And who doesn't like boobs, going along with what Kraco said, the show has to provide something for the H-game fans who watch.

Kirai no Tenshi
Tue, 08-15-2006, 04:47 PM
Sorry.

I consider the fact that I enjoyed the Read or Die OVA to be ultimate proof that I have no problem with large breasts.
It was just the transition came a bit abruptly. Here I am watching an anime with blood and doggy ears, where the breasts are easily below anime-average size. When suddenly, two consecutively introduced female characters arrive with breasts that clearly beat the average.

And as for the repeating footage, I probably wouldn't have noticed if they weren't distinctive enough to make me sit up and go "Oooh!"
To conclude my opinions, at least until I've watched more, Utawarerumono isn't a perfect anime, but it's a hell of a lot better than most of the stuff I've seen.

Ryllharu
Tue, 08-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Okay, I caught up after a little while and I had to rewatch Kaura punching that guy's head off a couple of times just to make sure I saw what I thought I saw. As for the psycho emperor, he's really no different from the first couple of lords Hakuoro and troops fought. Oppressive to their people, but ultimately very weak.

I think the next arc will be the final arc. We've got giant metal or magical knights, a lot of new faces, and a final flash of the Young Empress right at the end. This will probably take the remainder of the eps (maybe not the final one for epilogue purposes) to start and round out.

kooshi
Sat, 08-26-2006, 01:50 AM
Seems like this is an interesting anime, so I'll be giving it a shot. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get the proper torrent for the first few episodes from Static-Subs. A few of the links on this topic don't work, their release page is down, and some torrent sites don't have the torrents (ie. Baka-Updates, TorrentSpy, Mininova).
The quick question I have here is: is IRC the only option I have?

Kraco
Sat, 08-26-2006, 04:46 AM
I take back all my complaints about Yesy taking a two weeks break:

Episode 20 - Yesy (http://bt.yesy-fansubs.com/%5Byesy%5D_Utawarerumono_-_20_%5BC8AF38E0%5D.avi.torrent)
Episode 21 - Yesy (http://bt.yesy-fansubs.com/%5Byesy%5D_Utawarerumono_-_21_%5B314B7131%5D.avi.torrent)

Edit: Very interesting and exciting episodes to say the least. The first of these two episodes had some odd elements in the beginning, that can't be denied, like Kamyu sucking blood out of Aruruu (I wonder if the reason why that happened will ever be explained). But nevertheless it's evident the last stage of the story has begun. And quite a stage it is.

Also the silent onkami fellow that seems to be everywhere where evil deeds are done is getting more and more mysterious. Of course it was clear he had some hidden might, and episode 21 verifies that, but the fact remains nothing about his agendas has been revealed. I have no idea what he aims at. So far he has seemingly just served others, but honestly that can hardly be his real objective.

Missingman
Sat, 08-26-2006, 03:00 PM
wow did u see the end of the preview of ep 21... ep 22 is gonna b really good

Darknodin
Sat, 08-26-2006, 10:40 PM
wow did u see the end of the preview of ep 21... ep 22 is gonna b really good

I am Shocked... really shocked. but this is anime... so ANYTHING can happen.

about ep 22... i feel it was rushed a bit. although i think their conquest was just as fast as that. I just wish the Avu Kamuu had more of an opposition. oh... and surely Karura's sword MUST have an effect on them.

Lucifus
Sat, 08-26-2006, 11:28 PM
Well, if what I saw in the preview really happens, least we'll get to see Hakurou go devil on those evas. :cool:

Deadfire
Sun, 08-27-2006, 08:39 PM
Well, if what I saw in the preview really happens, least we'll get to see Hakurou go devil on those evas. :cool:

I hope he does that regardless,

In all seriousness those two Eps were awesome, instead of answering our questions they throw us curveballs all over the place and leaving the watcher sitting there with a look of "thats really cool", "whats happening?", and "WTF?"

seanos
Mon, 08-28-2006, 04:25 AM
Static subs released some Special (http://www.staticsubs.org/releases/torrent.php?id=334) today -- still downloading, will update post when see what it is.

buh, Naruto-esque toilet jokes.

Kraco
Mon, 08-28-2006, 04:51 AM
Damn. I'm not normally the greatest fan of toilet humour, but this was just bloody funny!

Oboro Barrier ftw!

Darknodin
Wed, 08-30-2006, 12:57 AM
Wow... I'm not posting this here because the subs suck (or rather... it's late and I'm lazy... well ok... here it is (http://www.point-blank.cc:16384/allowed/torrent.php/%5BYour-Mom%5D%20Utawarerumono%20-%2022%20%5BD1096856%5D.avi.torrent)

Wow... I understand why they rushed the earlier ep. in this ep... well you may want to wait for Yesy if you don't want to see things like " NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" several times and "pussy screaming", but if this was a movie, this would be the turning point that announces the beginning of act 3. Yes... this and not Kunnekamun's attack. At this point, the questions that i am asking myself are : "Is Hakuoro really evil? and, how the hell did he happen in animal-hybrid-world". which were the exact same questions that i was asking myself in ep one.

Slight Spoiler in this (I guess): It seems that the Avu Kammu aren't really suits of armor... but are more Evangelion like. As in beings with armor on them... they are weirder than I thought.

Assassin
Wed, 08-30-2006, 06:30 PM
this is certainly an intresting series. There are alot of unanswered questions, like hakuoro's hidden demon power, the blood sucking thing, the fact that bird girl has black wings (apparently cuz of some ancient priest) and the other bird guy who likes to play necromancer.

I think the main villian will be some uber demon/god who is controlling the bird guy (Dii was his name i believe). If you look at the scene where Dii kills the bird folk, he says "Koroaika" and the emperor goes "Do you mean to tell me that you are-!!". So its likely that this koroaika character is some banished sorcerror/demon, and all the war and bloodshed is as setup for some other ominous scheme.

I wonder if this priest that has influenced the little bird-girl giving her black wings is somehow connected to this koroaika character. Mite explain the sudden need to suck blood.

masamuneehs
Thu, 08-31-2006, 12:25 PM
man this show seriously rocks!

the cliffhanger at the end of episode 21 is too cruel though... but i'm sticking with yesy, since i've gotten used to their subs...

The Empress is the worst kind of leader possible: lone sovreign, untested in actual war, young and easily swayed by emotion. Obviously manipulating her was easy for Hauenkua and Dii (or whatever the silent Winged guy's name is. Interesting that he seems to just be a vessel for some kind of evil spirit.) She is easily emotionable after viewing the results of war, and has two war-hungry generals directly under her who are clamoring for the same thing.

Genjimaru is the only voice of reason in her court. Expect him to die shortly...

Sometimes I wish this series was longer, like 40 episodes or so.

Kraco
Fri, 09-01-2006, 03:59 AM
Behold:

Episode 22 - Yesy (http://www.yesy-fansubs.com/hosted/[yesy]_Utawarerumono_-_22_[D82C4916].avi.torrent)

Edit: Well, Hakuoro is quite a monster. Or rather, he's somehow bound to quite a monster (interestingly enough the outward appearance of the monster somehow reminded me of the monster in the childrens' picture book monster in Monster). I can't yet fathom exactly what are the relationships between all the characters. It looks like Hakuoro was a man once, but was murdered in front of the monster, and perhaps somehow stored in it. And later gained a second chance, or something?

And it looked like Eruruu and Aruruu had met the thing earlier, as well, because I can't see how that scene could have been anything else than a flashback. That was certainly news...

I got myself accidentally spoiled a little when reading the Yesy forums, and so some things in this episode make more sense to me than probably to those who are pure from any spoilage, but fortunately it was only background I learned, nothing related to the plot as such.

Ryllharu
Fri, 09-01-2006, 06:49 AM
All I can really say is...wow. Some questions answered, so many more raised. It indeed looks like Hakuoro was once part of the "normal" world until he was killed and his blood spilled on the demon. Whether the world they live in now is the far distant future, or another world entirely, I can't say, but it does say a lot.

That scene was rather confusing, but the connotations of it are just as important. Eruru gave her body and soul to the demon to ressurrect Aruru. I don't know how it compares to the original japanese, but that phrase has more than one meaning. One is the obvious soul-consuming demonic pact sort of thing, but the other is occasionally used as...almost a marriage vow (or at the least that's how I viewed it). It could be a device to finally put the two of them together, once Eruru fully realizes her feelings for Hakuoro, which may happen in the next eps. (But I could be totally off the mark from watching too much shoujo.)

I was kinda hoping Kaura would crack open one of the Avu Kamuu like a watermelon though.

Munsu
Fri, 09-01-2006, 07:03 AM
Yeah I was hoping Kaura would've done the same.

Now my question is, the scene with Eruruw and Aruruw being dead, is that something that had happened before, and she was just remembering it or something, maybe something that happened when she found Hakuoro? Something else to think about, maybe that monster that had saved Aruruw before was not Hakuoro, which might lead to some conflict later on if Hakouro has to fight the other one with Eruruw having done that contract with the other monster.

Board of Command
Fri, 09-01-2006, 01:15 PM
Wow...this episode is a huge twist in the series. We're suddenly jumping to sci-fi which didn't make too much sense. So humans regressed and crossbred with dogs in the future, eh?

Darknodin
Sat, 09-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Wow...this episode is a huge twist in the series. We're suddenly jumping to sci-fi which didn't make too much sense. So humans regressed and crossbred with dogs in the future, eh?

not necessarily true... parrallel universe (like 12 kingdoms), going to another planet, etc.

although, I guess there are some people who would (and did) try to crossbreed with dogs. so who knows!

Death13a
Sat, 09-02-2006, 09:26 PM
That monster in rock was said to be the reason humans evolved from monkeys but why not from other animals as well?

Knives122
Sat, 09-02-2006, 09:37 PM
As I was watching the big blue monster kill everyone I was thinking; How was the monster able to kill the guy inside the mech by crushing it's head............when the guy is in the chest area?

And then it hit me, The mechs are functioning in the same way the mobile suits did in G Gundam........that's the only possible answer.

Splash!
Sun, 09-03-2006, 11:30 AM
That monster in rock was said to be the reason humans evolved from monkeys but why not from other animals as well?

You bring up a very good point. That very well could be what happened. However, whats the deal with Benawi, is he a regular human or a hybrid hiding some weird ears under his hair? Come to the think of it, a lot of the soldiers seem to look like regular humans rather than hybrids but i guess it could just be the case of their ears not showing because of helms or hair.

masamuneehs
Mon, 09-04-2006, 09:38 AM
It has been along while, but I seem to remember Eruruu commenting on how dangerous Aruruu's wandering alone in the forest is.... Now, we certainly didn't see THIS scene depicted in the flashback in any previous episode, but it makes sense if you consider how Hak was found shortly after an earthquake.

The real question is: why doesn't Eruruu have memories of that until now? I think it's the same reason Hak didn't have any of his Avu, because whatever is the 'soul' of that thing doesn't really want humans to know it exists.

Human-scientist Hak's blood getting all over the masklike part of the Avu was quite the symbolism. Interesting to see that this is set "after" the end of our modern times. ... as for the different races, I have no clue.

Hak's Avu certainly has consciousness, but I wonder about the other ones. We've really seen no indication that they do, and the way that guy abandonded his made it look like they're just viewed as normal machinery by their pilots... We haven't gotten to see what they look like inside, but they do seem more like an Eva/G Gundam than your typical Gundam or Escaflowne mech.

Mog
Wed, 09-13-2006, 05:16 AM
When the 'flashback' thing came on, it more seemed to me to be something that happened way back.
In episode four, at 5:30 in static's version, the old lady leader Tusukur was talking about how her older sister was also named Eruruw, and she was Aruruw. And at the start of episode three is says that the older sister, Eruruw 'became one with the forest'.
So I was thinking maybe that's what happened, rather than it being the current Eruruw and Aruruw. As to why Eruruw saw it thinking it was her memory, I have no idea.

Munsu
Thu, 09-14-2006, 12:37 PM
Humm, so ADV sent a letter to Static-Subs the other day, forcing them to drop the series. I just recently found out, and it sucks since that's the version I was getting.

Hopefully yesy will keep releasing even if IRC only. I wish SS creates a rogue group and finishes it.

MFauli
Fri, 09-15-2006, 05:03 PM
Argh, what?
Uh, then i can remove that Static-Subs-episodes and download all former episodes from yesi....sucks..

Munsu
Fri, 09-15-2006, 05:06 PM
Why would you do that? Static-subs > yesy

Yukimura
Sat, 09-16-2006, 12:31 AM
To each his own i guesss, but I also prefer yesy to Static. But it's too bad really...and I wonder....why have I never heard of a group that rips dubbed DVD's getting shutdown...I'm sure it's happened, but i've never heard of one in the two years i've been dling them.

Deadfire
Sun, 09-17-2006, 11:35 PM
Does anyone have any news for this anime? It seems to be all but stalled hardcore, which is a shame, I was looking forward to the last eps

Kraco
Mon, 09-18-2006, 03:14 AM
One thing is at least sure: Yesy hasn't dropped it officially. Right now, being an optimist what comes to Utawarerumono, I chose to believe the theory they are planning to release all the remaining episodes in a batch, to avoid unwanted attention. After all, Static subs already received a letter from the licensor. Let's hope Yesy doesn't need to share that fate, even if it means we will have to wait for a few week before seeing anything new. But think of the feeling when you have the 4 last episodes to watch all at once, back to back.

Well, it's just a theory somebody over at the Yesy forums suggested.

Lucifus
Thu, 09-21-2006, 05:59 PM
Um....Wouldn't Your-mom have stolen the glory by now? Whats going on with Uta?:(
I'm guessing theirs another reason behind the delay?

Kraco
Thu, 09-21-2006, 06:21 PM
Just because Your-Mom is probably more visible now, it doesn't mean the wicked licensor agents wouldn't scrounge around for any existing subbers. Well, apparently they didn't at least yet, unless Y-M and Yesy have been just hiding the fact they got letters, but I doubt that (well, I think Yesy would drop the series if asked by the licensor).

Yesy is a normal group in the sense that they don't much discuss publicly about why episodes are delayed or not. So, we just need to wait and see. Let's be optimistic.

Stoopider
Fri, 09-22-2006, 11:37 PM
Darn. CAn't wait for the few more episodes. Don't know if I should jump ship and get Your Mom Subs. :p

And another thing, I don't know why Japanese always must have a reason for things. I like the fact that there are big giant robots, I don't mind. Kinda like golems in fantasy universes, ancient dwarven machines or something.

However Hakuoro's a robot as well? Might not be a robot. Might be just a demon or some creature. But I thought they didn't need to rationalize about Hakuoro being a scientist getting shot and his blood spilling on it. I would have just preferred him being a big ass demon of some sorts. Maybe he is.

And whats with Eruruu giving her life to the demon = Hakurou? I hope they don't last minute do things and screw up this anime. Rather leave us hanging and explain more in Season 2, if there will be one.

Btw, what happened to the 2 girls who stopped the big blue Avu Kamun?

Kraco
Sat, 09-23-2006, 02:31 AM
And another thing, I don't know why Japanese always must have a reason for things.

According to my experience that's not the whole true. I think it depends on the story and series. Of course everything does have a reason, but it's more like a script writing, pacing and cutting detail if all of those reasons are ever explained. Apparently they thought in this series it was vital or at least helptful to reveal that part of Hakuoro's past. In a certain sense it was logical, because right from the first episode Hakuoro's forgotten history has been the biggest mystery of the show.

Yukimura
Sat, 09-23-2006, 02:51 AM
Remember that this show is based off of a game, and thus it will most likely has a closed loop plot that makes sense. Unless there was a sequel to the game there will probably only be the one season and whatever conclusions the game reached will probably be explained in the last few eps.

Stoopider
Sat, 09-23-2006, 03:49 AM
Ok, not all MUST have a reason for things. But there's been tons of anime's spoilt by Japanese having to reason their anime... *sniff*..

Some like Scrapped Princess, Full Metal Alchemist, Last Exile. If they only could just stick to a fairy tale being a fairy tale. Not relate it to how 'it's 1000 years in the future, or it's another universe alternating to eart or humans travelled to this planet on some golden ship'. I've gotten off topic. :( :(

Personally I would't mind if he's some sort of demon or something. But they shouldn't have bothered with the sci-fi and laboratory shit.

bagandscalpel
Sun, 09-24-2006, 06:14 PM
Personally I would't mind if he's some sort of demon or something. But they shouldn't have bothered with the sci-fi and laboratory shit.

'Tis a valid point you make about the unnecessary explanations and such.

But, wouldn't it be all the more satisfying if the series does tie in that somewhat outlandish bit in a palatable manner?

Darknodin
Wed, 09-27-2006, 08:39 AM
okay... as much as I don't like Y-M (if anyone who cares is reading this : "STOP WITH THE RANDOM COMMENTS! which do appear on MPC and MP11)

the final eps were... WOW... the final battle was nicely animated and even though the second half of the ep was kinda lame, the part that was where the ED was supposed to be was cool. oh... and it seems the twins are young boys?

Stoopider
Wed, 09-27-2006, 11:55 AM
'Tis a valid point you make about the unnecessary explanations and such.

But, wouldn't it be all the more satisfying if the series does tie in that somewhat outlandish bit in a palatable manner?

If only .... IF ONLY. :D Unfortunately most are so bad they make you puke and wish you've never tasted such foul things that it has scarred you mentally for life...

:(

But have to say, Utawarareweuroauraweaoreiauwew.. after watching Your Mum subs, it didn't end as bad as I thought it would.

Job well done. :) Though I wish they get rid of the lab rat crap.:p *Waits eagerly for yesy now*

Kraco
Thu, 10-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Inconceivable. I couldn't believe my eyes when Arcness suddenly over at the irc told he's downloading the last 4 Utawarerumono episodes from Yesy. But it's bloody true! They released them! Honestly, I couldn't have imagined a better end for my birthday even if IFHTT had been holding a sword on my throat and telling my life depends on my imagination.

Episode 23 - Yesy (http://bt.yesy-fansubs.com/%5Byesy%5D_Utawarerumono_-_23_%5B32AE4812%5D.avi.torrent)
Episode 24 - Yesy (http://bt.yesy-fansubs.com/%5Byesy%5D_Utawarerumono_-_24_%5B2353D3B1%5D.avi.torrent)
Episode 25 - Yesy (http://bt.yesy-fansubs.com/%5Byesy%5D_Utawarerumono_-_25_%5BC2F19D8D%5D.avi.torrent)
Episode 26 Final - Yesy (http://bt.yesy-fansubs.com/%5Byesy%5D_Utawarerumono_-_26_%5B9106E1DB%5D.avi.torrent)

Yukimura
Thu, 10-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Yesy finally releses the end of Uta for all us patient fans out there, excellent news!

EDIT: Kraco's birthday magic made his post appear before mine! It definately wasn't there when I first submitted!

EDIT2:
All in all this was a great series. The ending was nice and made me feel like the story was complete but not over which is good. Kamyu and her alter-ego were not explained much at all which was a bit of an annoyance, but it wasn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Yuzuha's apparent death was a bit of a surprise, but we knew it was coming eventually and I'm glad Oboro grew enough as a charachter to be able to handle it.

Board of Command
Fri, 10-13-2006, 12:00 AM
The conclusion was rather disappointing. So much was unexplained:

- Hakuoro suddenly remembering everything
- Kamyu's transition to Mutsumi
- Who is Mutsumi anyway and why was she in the lab?
- Timeline: how long was Hakuoro asleep before meeting Eruruu?)
- Timeline: the story of "Iceman"
- What happened to Mikoto's baby and how was the ring preserved?
- What the hell is Dii's problem?

Yukimura
Fri, 10-13-2006, 12:16 AM
There were several things left unsaid, but for many of those points I'd recommend the Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utawarerumono) article, as it includes information from the original game as well.

1: not addressed: I'd say the cues he got from the lab reopened his suppresed memories
2: partially addressed
3: answered
4: partially addressed
5: slightly addressed
6a: Not addressed: I would imagine it grew into Eruruus ancestors
6b: Not addressed: Plot device?
7: Not addressed: He is the dark/violent side of Witsuarunemitea so he's a dick

Something else I realize, the struggle between Hakuoro and Di reminded me a lot of the philosophical divide between the Vorlons and the Shadows in Babylon 5, and by remonded I mean it seemed to be exactly what the argument came down to in the final battle between those two and all the little people they were tryingto push around.

complich8
Fri, 10-13-2006, 01:01 AM
while on a philosophical level the ending was pretty good (in that "our existence is the suffering of others, so it's best if we don't exist right now" sort of way), I still have to say, I'd have rather seen it end with Hakuoro and pals staying together.

I never particularly liked "parting" endings.

Kraco
Fri, 10-13-2006, 05:39 AM
I have always liked endings that are both sad and happy, the parting endings like Complich defined them, and this served it well. This wasn't really the Hollywood type of show from the beginning, and Yuzuha's death was one part of it. It was far more natural than her suddenly getting all better, seeing how she didn't really seem to get any better but rather worse during the time the episodes depicted.

The story was certainly incomplete here and there, and not nearly all of it can be explained by artistic decisions (slice of life aspects that don't see the need to explain many things). Some details just were a bit careless looking remnants from the game or perhaps just flaws in the game design as well, though I haven't played the game so I wouldn't know. Well, it was an excellent series even with some unexplained, nonrelevant looking things here and there.

- What happened to Mikoto's baby and how was the ring preserved?
Seeing how all the scientists in the facility were turned into red slime, I guess the imprisoned test subjects were practically freed, and they took the baby with them when they left. Perhaps the scientists hadn't taken the ring from the baby and she grew up with it. (Nice form of immortality for the scientists, as well! Truly immortal they seemed to be, considering how they were still around in those much later times!)

What did Aruruu and later Eruruu see just before the scenes ended? It kind of reminded me of Elfen Lied's ending with somebody arriving but the story never revealing who it was. Very nice.

Board of Command
Fri, 10-13-2006, 10:07 AM
What did Aruruu and later Eruruu see just before the scenes ended? It kind of reminded me of Elfen Lied's ending with somebody arriving but the story never revealing who it was. Very nice.
That's one way of looking at it. It's plausible if only based on Aruruu's side. I thought Eruruu was just happy about the way things are. She says she'll always be waiting, and is happy with that.

However, it could very well be like Elfen Lied, as you suggested.

Harima Kenji
Tue, 10-24-2006, 06:11 PM
I found this while looking on ANN:

Utawarerumono to Keep Name (2006-10-23 22:07:15)
In August, ANN was informed by ADV Films that they were planning on releasing the Utawarerumono under the moniker "Shadow Warrior Chronicles." However ADV has now confirmed with us that Utawarerumono will be released using its original Japanese name, the first volume will be called "Utawarerumono: Mask of a Stranger." Chris Oar of ADV Films said "Originally we wanted to make it as accessible to as many people as possible," adding that they decided to reverse this decision following fan-feedback.

They actually kept the name because the fans complained about it.. they actually listened to fans.. as far as I know, this it a very rare thing.. normally they'd give the finger to the fans..

Is this really rare, or am I just not paying attention..

Ryllharu
Tue, 10-24-2006, 07:27 PM
Generally, it doesn't happen often, but ADV and a few other companies finally started doing it on a more regular basis. The response has to be overwhelming, like with Utawa, or Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (though FUNi had to stick with "Rumbling Hearts" at the request of the creator, but they did listen and respond to the fans.) It also helps if it's a negative response to something.

I wonder if they finally figured out they were in a niche market and are better off seeing how the fans feel.

Whether or not that's true, it's good for us, and good for them because we'll buy more.

masamuneehs
Tue, 10-24-2006, 08:14 PM
I wonder if they finally figured out they were in a niche market and are better off seeing how the fans feel.

Bingo. I think that's exactly what they figured out. The same people you pissed off by "Americanizing" one title will still hold it against you when you're trying to sell the next one.

Oh, and I did like the end of Uta, but the series started getting a little too funky weird towards the end. The whole 'contract' thing could have been worked into the story in a more fluid way. Also, the series suffered because of the villains. Dii (even if he was voiced by Shuuichi Ikeda-sama) just wasn't enough for me as far as a proper villain went.

i don't really mind the 'parting' endings. Sometimes that's the only way to do a proper ending for a story. In this case I thought it fit very well, especially as the nature of the contracts and the carrying over of character connections from one time period to another makes any 'parting' just temporary.

Kraco
Wed, 10-25-2006, 02:03 AM
It certainly was a long wait, but it's finally here:

Utawarerumono OST - Nipponsei (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Utawarerumono%20Original%20Sound track.zip.torrent)

Marik
Fri, 06-26-2009, 02:29 AM
[SubSmith] Utawarerumono OVA - 01 - Lullaby of the Watch Tower [BD 720p].​mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=71813)

[Nipponsei] Utawarerumono OVA OP Single - adamant faith [Suara].​zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Utawarerumono%20OVA%20OP%20Singl e%20-%20adamant%20faith%20%5BSuara%5D.zip.torrent)
[Nipponsei] Utawarerumono OVA ED Single - Yume no Tsuzuki [Uehara Rena].​zip (http://tracker.minglong.org/torrents/%5BNipponsei%5D%20Utawarerumono%20OVA%20ED%20Singl e%20-%20Yume%20no%20Tsuzuki%20%5BUehara%20Rena%5D.zip.t orrent)

shinta|hikari
Fri, 06-26-2009, 03:15 AM
Where are Karura's boobs!? And I really did not like it that they had to boil Touka red first before they showed her nakedness. Kinda ruined it for me.

Kraco
Fri, 06-26-2009, 08:51 AM
And I really did not like it that they had to boil Touka red first before they showed her nakedness. Kinda ruined it for me.

It didn't bother me. I prefer it this way to them purposefully parading each and every character past the camera to show their boobs in a best possible manner, from the best possible angle. It was more natural like this, even if we didn't see them all.

Otherwise I was a little disappointed. I fail to see why half the length of the ova was spent showing Karura drinking sake in the tower. You'd think after 10 minutes of that action repeated we already know everything there is to know about drinking sake in a tower... I hope the next ep is a bit more energetic and intriguing.

Marik
Fri, 06-26-2009, 09:40 AM
Where are Karura's boobs!? And I really did not like it that they had to boil Touka red first before they showed her nakedness. Kinda ruined it for me.
Before I started watching this, I wasn't expecting to see any nudity at all. I was quite surprised and also very pleased to see some, especially from a serious type like Touka. I really didn't care much for the rest of the OVA. I found it quite boring.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Is this series overall any good?

Marik
Fri, 06-26-2009, 10:14 AM

Yes, go and download it right now. You like Tears to Tiara right? You should enjoy this as well.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Yes, go and download it right now. You like Tears to Tiara right? You should enjoy this as well.

Cool. I'll give it a go sometime. Hopefully soon.

animus
Fri, 06-26-2009, 10:44 AM
I just realized Touka's VA does Morgan in TtT also.

Ryllharu
Fri, 06-26-2009, 03:07 PM
I just realized Touka's VA does Morgan in TtT also.
In the games?

In the anime, Touka is voiced by Kaya Miyake. Mai Nakahara plays Morgan, but she did play Yuzuha (blind girl) in Utawawerumono.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 06-26-2009, 09:32 PM
It didn't bother me. I prefer it this way to them purposefully parading each and every character past the camera to show their boobs in a best possible manner, from the best possible angle. It was more natural like this, even if we didn't see them all.

I didn't dislike the delivery. I meant to say I disliked the redness itself.

Marik
Mon, 12-28-2009, 06:00 PM
[SubSmith] Utawarerumono OVA - 02 - Prescription for a Secret Love [BD 720p] [91F162D2].mkv (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=106181)

Episode 3 comes out April 23rd.

Kraco
Sat, 07-03-2010, 12:30 PM
The mighty combo of Touka and Aruruu:

OVA 3 - Subsmith (http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=140815)

- - - - - - - - - -

This was great. Touka and Aruruu make a good combination (although I think Aruruu would make a good one with anybody). Touka taking Hakuoro's lazy comments completely seriously was fitting.

However, the best character in this ova was obviously the spirit candidate of the river, that is, the fish. It never ceased to amuse me how it came back to life every time Touka happened to turn her back to it. And of course it got the last word as well, after mocking Touka for so long already.

Yukimura
Tue, 07-06-2010, 10:31 AM
This OVA was my favorite so far, Touka is always so adorable when she's flustered and this little story did a good job of letting her fluster herself out for our benefit. Of course seeing Touka in her dead sexy under/swim-wear didn't hurt any either. The gag with the fish managed to make me laugh every time it woke back up as well.

I wonder how many more of these there are going to be.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-05-2015, 09:32 AM

Cool. I'll give it a go sometime. Hopefully soon.

Finally finished.

I'm slightly disappointed with this show because I came in expecting it to be god-tier.

It's alright. I had to read a wiki to understand everything that's happened. But far the best thing in this show is the character developments and their backstories/motives. I'm particularly fond if Karura and Aruruu, but no one in particular piss me off in the main crowd. At most I'm just indifferent, like towards any of the winged people.

Given that no characters are recurring in the sequel that's currently airing, I'm not sure I'll bother. Even the OVAs are depressing right now because they're not post-ending material showing happy lives. :(