PDA

View Full Version : [sports]Play Ball! (baseball that is)

masamuneehs
Mon, 04-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Yessir, it's that time of year again!

Now matter where you live (well, within the US at least...), you know what April really means, baseball is back! America's past time is one long marathon of sport, 162 games for every team, running from April through (if they're good enough to make the cut) late October, and I figure it needs a place to be discussed here on Gotwoot!

First off, who you with?

I've been a Yankee since I was a little kid, back when Roberto Kelly played the outfield and Randy Velarde was a 'big aquisition', back when the "Evil Empire" was under 500 every fucking year. I remember Bernie being a young kid in center field, I remember being excited about getting Cecil Fielder and Jack MacDowall, I remember Spike Owen hit a Grand Slam for them to win the only game I actually attended before the age of 17 (1 out of 9 is pretty shitty eh?) I knew who Matt Nokes, Pat Kelly (have his autograph, worth $0), and Kevin Maas are. Now they say "You have it easy, being a Yankees fan" I tell them to go to fucking hell. It broke my heart that Donny Baseball finally, finally got to the playoffs, and eliminated in a game 5 in Seattle (i love and hate Tino Martinez). And then the next year they won the championship...

Second off, what you watching this year?

Besides the obvious: who will win it all? there are lots of big things going on in baseball right now. Let me break it down:

Jimmy Rollins is trying to break Joltin Joe DiMaggio's record for consecutive games with a hit. He's somewhere at 36 so far, 20 more to go.., consecutive games.

Barry Bonds is gunning for 2nd place on the All-time HomeRun list. But he is currently being investigated to see if he used sterioids or not. I say the bastard should be banned for life and all his titles stripped. That's what you get for cheating :mad:

The White Sox are defending a Championship title (and they won the first game of the year), their first title since before they 'threw' the championship back in my grandpa's era (Say it ain't say Jo?)

Several teams are on the rebound, including Toronto, the Cubs, the Dodgers and the (you heard it here first) Detroit Tigers. Some of the most exciting players play in places like Florid (or is it soon to be San Antonio?), Milwakee (BOO!!! BOO!!!), Kansas City and Seattle...

You smell the freshly cut glass? You hear the crack of that wooden bat? You see that slider paint the outside corner, the ump pulling the 'YEEEEER OUT!' sign? (come on! that was obviously a ball! You blind ump?!) You see the lights lighting up cities around the nation? You taste those hotdogs? You hear that crowd?

Play ball bitches. :)

LET'S GO NEW YORK!!! (um, not the Mets though:p)

edit- forgot to mention. Since at 1005EST the Yankee game starts, I am going to bed early (like right now) and waking up at 4 o'clock here in Italy so I can watch the game live on Mlb.tv Yes, it is that big of a deal!

GLS
Mon, 04-03-2006, 03:26 PM
I'm a Reds fan, so you can imagine how rough it is to be a fan of that. Also a Mariner's fan since Griffey was around. Now they got Ichiro making the big (and little) plays.
*Cubs up 11-5 right now*

It'd be great to see Jimmy Rollins tie or break Dimaggio's record. Some people might complain he didn't do it in a calendar year, much like Tiger and his Majors grand slam. I don't think ESPN has covered any single athlete like they have with Barry. Isn't he getting his own reality show soon?

ChaosK
Mon, 04-03-2006, 06:59 PM
yankees all the way, got tickets for the next game ching-ming wong pitches!....i wonder where they are now...personally the only team i hate are the red sox for the old yankee vs. red sox rivaliry, but not the mets, i cheer for all new york teams (including the knicks even though they suck shit) and it doesnt ruin my day if the mets win. I'm also a bit skeptical about why met fans turn into red sox fans. the only explaination i could think of (now no offense to any of you but) met fans have given up on their teams hopes of beating the yankees and gone to root for the yankees biggest rival, the red sox, also the team with the biggest chance of defeating the yankees. Now this year, i will admit the mets have an impressive line up, and i'm wondering whether those converted red sox fans will even go back to the mets. again this is all from speculation from what i see in the world around me.