PDA

View Full Version : The Official "How I stuck it to the Corporate System" Topic

Assertn
Fri, 03-31-2006, 11:58 PM
Over the past year or so, I've started noticing loopholes in many major retail outlets that could be exploited for fun and profit. I've just now returned from my 3rd successful scheme, so I've decided to share in my discoveries.

Scheme 1 - Buy one controller, replace the others for $5 each
Ever since the release of the Nintendo 64, I noticed something distinct about all the subsequent generations of console controllers...mainly that their lifespan has dropped down to a mere year or two before becoming a hindrance. After having owned a gamecube for 3 years, I found that 3 of my controllers had shown signs of wear and tear...two of which to the point where they were barely useable. I decided to break down and get a new controller.

As I was going through the check-out at Best Buy, I was offered an interesting proposition: For $5 more, I could get a 1 year no-questions-asked replacement policy on my controller. I immediately saw potential exploitation in this deal, so I took it. Here's the conclusion I came to: Colors aside, there is no distinguishable difference between the controller I just purchased and the broken-down controllers I have sitting at home. As long as the color matches, I could come back a few months later with an old controller, replace it for a brand new one, purchase another $5 replacement plan, then come back a few months later with another old controller for yet another replacement.

For a mere $40, you can swap out 4 old controllers for 4 new ones (assuming the colors match).

Scheme 2 - Taking advantage of after-purchase sales
This one is a bit more situational, but still a completely valid exploitation none-the-less.
Last December, I had purchased a Nintendo DS as an X-mas present at EB. A week later, I get an E-mail coupon from EB offering a free game with the purchase of any console+game.

I already knew of a game that I was planning to get, and I have an unopened console within 30 days of its point-of-sale. So I took the DS back to EB, returned it, and then purchased it again along with another DS game. Then I sent the new reciept and coupon to EB, and a month or two later, they gave me a $30 voucher which i subsequently used to purchase Metroid Hunters.

As long as you don't open the merchandise, they cannot refuse any return policy their store has. I think the manager was a little pissed though. Next time I'll make the trade-off between two different stores...there's a million EB outlets near me anyway.

Scheme 3 - Recieved damaged goods online? Don't make it YOUR problem
For Xmas, I got a DVD boxed-set. 3 months later, a friend and I started watching through them. By the 4th DVD, we discovered that right out of the case the disk was pretty badly scratched, and therefore was mostly unreadable. Clearly this was an injustice, but the situation for redemption couldn't have been more inconvenient. The product was shipped to my parent's house across the country, they purchased it from God knows where over the internet, the defect was discovered months after purchase, and finally, the invoice was nowhere to be found. Even despite these problems, someone would still have to cover the shipping expenses...and the dvd individually is only worth $15 to begin with. Then there's also the inconvenience of waiting a few weeks for a new copy. However, I came up with yet another plan...

Walking over to my local Best Buy, I pick up a copy of the same DVD that was scratched. I take it home and promptly swap out the disk with my damaged one. The following day, I take it back to the returns dept, explaining that this product I purchased is defective. Naturally, it's against store policy to allow a refund for opened merchandise, however they can grant a replacement if necessary. My original plan was to take the replacement, wait a week, then return it unopened, claiming that it was a gift for someone who already happened to own a copy. Fortunately I was able to kill two birds with one stone, as it turned out the copy I purchased was the last one in stock, and so replacement wasn't an option. I walked out with a full refund and a working copy of my DVD.

So those are my stories of how I stuck it to the corporate system. Anybody else have any noteworthy findings worth sharing?

drims
Sat, 04-01-2006, 12:16 AM
@ Assertn. First of,,, wow thats amazing :)

Secondly I have not done anything as big as assertn, but I played a school prank were I let go many miniature size bouncy balls EVERY WERE. I decided to do this since our principal hates them so much, and I hate her. And this is how I stuck it to the man.

Assertn
Sat, 04-01-2006, 12:25 AM
Are you implying that your school is a corporate system and that bouncy balls resulted in personal gain? I'm not talking about vandalism or pranks...this is about legitimate exploitation of large-scale enterprises.

XanBcoo
Sat, 04-01-2006, 01:32 AM
Those are pretty good ideas Assertn. Provided I'm presented with the same $5 replacement plan, I might put that first strategy to use.

I can think of no incredibly useful scams at the moment, but I do recall one of my dad's friends mentioning a parking scam for anyone who travels frequently by airplane. I can't remember the details, or if all airports offer the kind of service involved, but I remember the gist of it. Usually if you were to go on, say, a 2 week trip and needed to leave your car in an airport parking lot you'd end up paying quite a lot for 14 days worth of parking. This is assuming you have no other means of transportation to and from the given airport. A lot of these airports also have an online booking method, meaning you can reserve a parking space for a given ammount of time for cheaper than if you were to pay on-the-spot. This means that you could reserve a parking ticket online for 1 day of parking, park your car at the airport, leave for your 2 week trip, and then come back, use your pre-booked parking ticket and only pay for 1 day's parking instead of the full 14. Chances are you'll rarely be in a situation where this is usefull, but meh, you never know.

rockmanj
Sat, 04-01-2006, 03:09 AM
Are you implying that your school is a corporate system and that bouncy balls resulted in personal gain? I'm not talking about vandalism or pranks...this is about legitimate exploitation of large-scale enterprises.

Well, if you want to get technical...the system starts with school...but im not about to go on a rant about that. And i somehow scammed a free college education from the government; how that happened?? let's just say i took some liberties on my financial aid forms and leave it at that.

xDarkMaster
Sat, 04-01-2006, 01:14 PM
I used to pull this scam a lot but it is very difficult to do as you need someone working n the store to help you. Basically, whenever an item goes on sale, say a video game is 15% off, your friend at the store prints you a receipt saying the item on sale was not in stock. Take that to a different store, and atleast with target, on the bottom it says exchangeable for any other similar item. So, now you can get whatever game you want for a 15% discount.

Sorry if that didn't make sense.

Assertn
Sat, 04-01-2006, 02:50 PM
I friend of mine that worked at a dept store near me figured out a trick where if you take something off the shelf, and carry it into the bathroom, and leave it there.....then someone else goes into the bathroom and picks it up and walks out with it, there's no way they can (legally anyway) stop you, since they can't have cameras in the bathroom and so they can't have proof that something is in your possession. If they ask you about it, you can just deny it and walk out.

I dont think I'd resort to blatant theft though.

Kraco
Sat, 04-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Hmm... That would also require you destroyed the rfid tag in the bathroom... Dunno. I haven't visited bathrooms in stores that often but I wonder if they really are ever so easily accessible while you have unpaid wares with you.

Assertn
Sat, 04-01-2006, 03:38 PM
There aren't RFID tags on alcohol

Kraco
Sat, 04-01-2006, 04:11 PM
Oh. That's true. I failed to consider anything edible or drinkable. Well, that only tells I have never given stealing any serious thought...

ChaosK
Sat, 04-01-2006, 10:22 PM
well when i just shoplift, (lets say on a vacation i go somewhere and want to get a souviner) i see a crystal..um lets say dolphin because i seem to find these everywhere. i pocket that, and a few other things (this is when i'm wearing a hooded shirts with those pockets right in the middle. walk up to the counter, and pay for a pack of gum. Just walk out. They're less likely to think you've stolen something if you acctually buy something than if you go in there and just leave. i was stopped by security once and he asked "why did you come to this store?" because it seemed like i went in for nothing and i told him i bought a pack of gum and he let me go. ...security guards are idiots arent they...?

Zidoas
Sat, 04-01-2006, 11:05 PM
Case 1: Movie Rentals = Unlimited Movie Collections
Works Best if there the movie rental store is near you.

Get a blockbuster or netflix monthly rental subscriptions. Blockbuster is perferred since you can physically go pick up the rentals and drop them off. After you get the movies, rip them on to your computer and return it. Continue the cycle.

Case 2: Free Computer Games (Console games too if you have the right equipment)

Go to any large retail stores like , Walmart and Target that sells games. Buy the game(s) of your choice. When you get home, use programs like MagicISO or other image busting programs (all can be obtained for free). Rip the image out and store it on your computer. Then use tools like Daemon Tools to load the image and play away. The CD Keys for the games will most likely be de-activated so you wont' be able to play online. But single players is just as good =P

Case 3: Free Upgrades for almost ANYTHING
Works best if done in large retail stores.

Make a list of things in your home that isn't working or getting old but make sure the item(s) are still presentable and in fairly good condition. Go to one of those large retail stores like Walmart and Target and pick out the same products on your list. Buy those products. Go home, take the ones you bought out and put the ones on your list back in the SAME BOX. Return them. Free upgrades.

More "tricks and tips later".

Kraco
Sun, 04-02-2006, 03:00 AM
Case 2: Free Computer Games (Console games too if you have the right equipment)
I totally fail to see how this results in free games... First you buy a game, then you rip the installation disk (provided you bypass the protection). Alright. Now you have the working game without a disk. Oh, wait, you bought the disk, so you actually have the valid disk... I don't know about where you live, but around here shops don't take back games (or music or movies) in opened boxes/cases. I'd be surprised if they did over there.

el_boss
Sun, 04-02-2006, 04:07 AM
Another free games/dvd trick:

This only works with boxes that are in a state that the content of it can't be viewed (I don't know the english word for it, but when the game or dvd is encased in plastic to begin with). Ok so you buy a game like that then you go home or just wait for a while and open it take out the disc and put it somewhere else. Then you take the box back to the store and say that there was no disc in it. If you do it right and are lucky they will give you a new one. From there you can do whatever: have two copies of the game or sell one of them back to the store, a friend or whoever you can find.

Note: this is basically only a theory. I haven't had the guts to try it out yet. Though I have heard and seen this happening for real. My brother once bought an empty dvd, so I've seen it in action.

Case 1: Movie Rentals = Unlimited Movie Collections
Works Best if there the movie rental store is near you.

Get a blockbuster or netflix monthly rental subscriptions. Blockbuster is perferred since you can physically go pick up the rentals and drop them off. After you get the movies, rip them on to your computer and return it. Continue the cycle.
Why not just download the movies? It's faster and easier. I don't know how much a monthly rental subscription cost since we don't those here, that I know of. But it seems you could use that money to upgrade your internet connection instead, if that is the problem.

Kraco
Sun, 04-02-2006, 04:16 AM
Why not just download the movies? It's faster and easier. I don't know how much a monthly rental subscription cost since we don't those here, that I know of. But it seems you could use that money to upgrade your internet connection instead, if that is the problem.

Aye. And it's bothersome to rip and encode movies, anyway. It would be a different story if double layer disks weren't so expensive and you just copied the movies as they are.

Zidoas
Sun, 04-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Yeah downloading movies and games would be the best way. I was only saying those cases applies to people with slower connections and less resourceful around the internet.

Kraco: You get the disk and rip the image out. Copy protection isn't hard to bypass unless it is Starforce which still can be done. Again this requires some understanding of the resources around on the net.

I live in NYC and Gamestops, Targets, and Walmarts around here accept games back. Within 7 days of purchase that is. Just don't keep doing this to one particular store. The general excuse of return is "It wasn't compatible with my computer. It Just didn't run and it was really slow" had worked quite well for me in the past.

Kraco
Sun, 04-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Ho... Interesting. Too bad that doesn't work over here. The shopkeepers aren't anywhere so stupid that they wouldn't know what's going on, unless the customer is a 11 years old girl, but I suppose they have calculated what is more profitable for them, and just came to different conclusions here and there.

Turkish-S
Sun, 04-02-2006, 12:36 PM
I once wanted to bring a game back to the store. but they didn't accepted it... software has to come back in 24 hours and has to be sealed >.< omg how can you keep a game sealed...

And at mac donalds you can turn in your half eaten burger and you will get a new one.. just say it is too cold.

IFHTT
Sun, 04-02-2006, 12:42 PM
In regards to the 11 year old girl comment: I guess if you did have a little sister or something you could buy the game and have the little sister go in a couple days later and try and return it say that she got for her birthday or as a gift, and that the person who bought it didn't know her computer wasn't up to spec? Maybe, Maybe not...

el_boss
Sun, 04-02-2006, 05:37 PM
Ho... Interesting. Too bad that doesn't work over here. The shopkeepers aren't anywhere so stupid that they wouldn't know what's going on, unless the customer is a 11 years old girl, but I suppose they have calculated what is more profitable for them, and just came to different conclusions here and there. A funny thing a noticed a while back. If you look at the ending of a license agreement for most software, it says something like: "if you do not agree to these terms you must return this item to the place of purchase". So you've got a beautiful loophole right there. Because there is no way to know what's in the agreement until you open the box.

EDIT: Someone neg repped me for my earlier post saying: "Stealing isn't cool". lol funniest thing I've seen all day.

Assertn
Sun, 04-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Hrm......apparently I got neg repped too......
Although I didn't actually condone stealing in this thread, just taking advantage of legitimate loopholes in the system.

samsonlonghair
Mon, 04-03-2006, 02:57 AM
At the risk of a negative rep myself, I'll tell this little tale. I didn't actually steal anything, but I definitely stuck it to the man.

I know, it's a long post, but trust me. It's a good read.

About two or three years ago I worked for Echostar (the parent corporation to Dish Network). I worked in a call center in a piece of shit town called Bluewell. It was a short drive from where I live. Echostar is the only big employer in that dead town, so they figure that they can treat their employees anyway they want. This was a miserable place to work.

My job was to talk to current customers who had already called us and sign them up with HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, etcetera. After about three weeks working there they change my job description. They now wanted everyone to call new people and get them to sign up. I never agreed to be a telemarketer, but now I was stuck. I couldn't just quit; I have bills to pay afterall.

My employer wronged me; this could not stand.

Within the call center everyone has a cheap Dell computer (Windows 2000) connected to a phone line with an auto-dialer. All these computers are controlled by a big central computer in the back to which I had no access. My goal was to take down this system, but it wasn't as easy as it at first seemed. All those cheap dells had no floppy drives, no CD/DVD drives, no Internet connection, and no USB port. This made it virtually impossible to bring in any outside programs or scripts. Furthermore, the compuers were all set up to prevent anyone from clicking on the start button or "My Computer". This meant I couldn't browse any files within any of these Dells. They were write-protected anyway (remember I couldn't use a boot disk).

It was clear that my attack would have to target the central computer, but security cameras kept me (and anyone but engineers) out of any of the back rooms. From my shitty Dell I only had four programs available to me: Calc (standard windows calculator), Another program that was basically an encyclopedia for Dish Network customers, A third program for accounts and billing, and a fourth program for the auto-dialer.

My options were limited. Only the last two programs had any connection to the central computer. The account/billing program was too closely watched because it dealt with money. I concentrated on the auto-dialer program and spent three weeks trying to find a flaw to which I had access. Ironically, I was rewarded for this. payroll records indicated that I was the only employee who was always on time to work and never missed a day. When they gave me a pay bonus and took me out to lunch I neglected to mention that I was only working so hard so I could find an exploit in their system.

After weeks of trial-and-error I finally found the flaw I was searching for. When I was done talking to a potential customer, I would hit "reschedule" and then not enter a reshedule time. Instead, I'd hit "hang up" meaning that the customer hung up on me. Then I'd hit "reshedule" again before hitting "next call". This confused my Dell; the screen blipped and a few minutes later the program restarted itself.

This had little effect on my crappy Dell and even less on the central computer. I decided to find out what would happen if I multiplied the process. After the next caller I hit "reschedule", "hang up", "reschedule", and "next call" five times between the computer blipping and the program restarting. It took longer to restart this time. After the next call I hit the button sequence twelve times and my computer shot down. I restarted the computer and got back to work. Next time I hit that button sequence twnety-seven times and I found limited sucess. The central computer started experiencing problems and every fucking crapy Dell in that place shut down. The engineers went scrambling for the backroom, and everyone got an hour and a half off work with pay. Once the system was back online I sat down at another computer and repeated the process. No one had to work for the rest of the day, but we all got paid.

The engineers had no idea what happened, so they told the managers some mumbo-jumbo about "network feedback" and "system protocal errors". The managers are all coke-addicted idiots, so they believed the engineers.

The next day at work I did the same thing, and we got another day of standing around with pay. After three days of this, the managers called Charlie Ergen. He's the crazy, ultra-religious, spin-doctor, human propaganda macine who runs Dish Network. He told the managers to put everyone back on upsale (back to signing callers up with HBO or whatever extra stuff they ask for).

Next week they tried to switch back to telemarketing, and I had shut down the system in about two minutes. We went back to upsale and stayed there. Here's the fun part. Dish Network heads spent a lot of money on computer security to prevent exactly what I did. They refused to open an investigation of sabotage, because if they did, they would be admitting that they misspent all that security money. In the corporate world, the main rule is to never admit that you've made a mistake. It was better to let whoever's behind this (me) go free. That's corporate logic for you.

I've since found a much cooler job and quit that lousy place. To this day, they still don't do telemarketing.

rockmanj
Mon, 04-03-2006, 05:17 AM
wow...way to stick it to the man...i guess dillegence pays off.

Kraco
Mon, 04-03-2006, 06:28 AM
When they gave me a pay bonus and took me out to lunch I neglected to mention that I was only working so hard so I could find an exploit in their system.

This was the best part of the whole story! Just like from a movie or a novel. I'm just glad that among your coworkers there weren't any hero wannabes who would have sold you out, after finding out your evil deeds by accident.

samsonlonghair
Tue, 04-04-2006, 01:41 AM
wow...way to stick it to the man...i guess dillegence pays off.
Thanks. It's all really based on two very simple principles I believe in: 1. No company has the right to abuse its employees or its customers. 2. No system is perfect. There's a flaw somewhere to be found.

This was the best part of the whole story! Just like from a movie or a novel. I'm just glad that among your coworkers there weren't any hero wannabes who would have sold you out, after finding out your evil deeds by accident.
I managed to not get caught by not bragging. Most people shoot themselves in the foot when it comes to this. The easiest way to get caught after pulling off a scam is to tell other people you did it. The company wouldn't pursue me, so I just had to avoid handing myself over to them. Untill I posted this here I had only ever told one person about what I did.

Thanks for enjoying my story. Don't ever let a company own you.

IFHTT
Tue, 04-04-2006, 01:49 AM
Hah, just read it Samsonlonghair... I have dish network. I can't believe they called charlie himself hahaha. I just hope they don't catch on to the stop in occurance of the problem from the time you left, but if they are as stupid as you make them out to be, I doubt they would catch on. Nice dude. That's pure sabotage for the best interest of the employee. Great job!!! :D

XanBcoo
Tue, 04-04-2006, 03:05 AM
That was great Samsonlonghair. It's interesting to think that a network like that can be so affected by an error in one program. They seemed like they deserved it, though.

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/7/charlieergenwtf1xb.jpg