PDA

View Full Version : The Bleach Dub Thread

XanBcoo
Thu, 03-30-2006, 07:05 PM
OK, so now it's official that Bleach will be airing starting fall 2006 on AdultSwim. That means we're looking at a dub here (and pretty damn soon - seriously, it took Naruto ages to get a tv premier). So until the cast is announced, this is the thread to make speculations about who-will-voice-whom, which studio should handle this, or any other dub-related nonsense.

It is not actually yet known which studio will be dubbing Bleach, but personally I think they might go with The Ocean Group. This is a Canadian studio that did Inuyasha, and now that Inuyasha is finished (isn't it?), TOC should be looking for another long series to dub. If Ocean doesn't dub this then it might be Studiopolis, meaning we'll see a cast very similar to Naruto.

My own guesses for a cast? I have no idea. They might choose a total n00b to voice Ichigo, or they might use a more experienced actor (in which case, it would depend on the studio doing the dub). In the case of Ocean dubbing this, I think either Richard Cox or [the guy who does Miroku on Inuyasha] would be an ok choice. I believe Rukia should be voiced by Kari Wahlgren. This woman has such a good vocal range, and would fit Rukia perfectly. She's a great actress, but I know nothing of her affiliation with Viz, so chances are she won't be in this series. Other than that, I can't think of many other actresses who would be able to mimic Rukia's unique Japanese voice.

And of course, if they don't choose Steven Blum to play Urahara I will send death threats.

dragonrage
Thu, 03-30-2006, 07:40 PM
thanks for the info, i am not getting my hopes up about anything but i hope that they do a better job than what they did with naruto...

good luck with the death threats....

Onineku
Fri, 03-31-2006, 10:44 AM
i think 4kids might take it... O.o

that'd have people going into mass riots worldwide!

XanBcoo
Fri, 03-31-2006, 05:04 PM
i think 4kids might take it... O.o

that'd have people going into mass riots worldwide!
4Kids is not a dubbing studio, it's a distributor (which uses it's own voice actors). Viz Media has already acquired Bleach for a US release, and is completely unrelated to 4Kids.

You'd think confirming that Bleach will air on AdultSwim would be enough to get rid of annoying rumors like "OMG 4KIDS IS GOING TO RAPE BLEACH"...but I guess it isn't.

Also, I gave Orihime's voice some thought, and wondered if perhaps Lia Seargeant would be a good choice. For anyone who's watched the Trigun dub, she plays Millie. That kind of ditzy, yet caring voice would fit Inoue imo.

LaZie
Fri, 03-31-2006, 10:24 PM
I want disney to find the VAs. They always have ATLEAST decent VAs for the Kingdom Hearts series and cartoons :D. Well that won't happen so I hope it will be good so I can sleep watching it at night :p

Carnage
Fri, 03-31-2006, 10:32 PM
wait, so does anyone know what date its coming on Adult Swim?:confused:

XanBcoo
Fri, 03-31-2006, 11:32 PM
I'm getting the information from Animenewsnetwork and this article (http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002274955).

So far "fall 2006" is all that's been said. E7, however will be out on April 15th.

ChaosK
Sat, 04-01-2006, 11:26 PM
I want disney to find the VAs. They always have ATLEAST decent VAs for the Kingdom Hearts series and cartoons :D. Well that won't happen so I hope it will be good so I can sleep watching it at night :p

you call jesse McCarthy good?

Yukimura
Sun, 04-02-2006, 06:26 AM
Several VA's from Inuyasha (Ocean Group) are doing the Gundam Seed Destiny Dub, which is meh, I might add. Miroku is Rey, and Inuyasha is Auel, Seshomaru is in there somewhere too. Sorry I don't know their real names, but VA's are just the voice of the first charachter who I heard them play to me. (Which is why I can't watch Samurai Deeper Kyo dubbed, Yami Yugi DOES NOT pwn like Kyo ought to be pwning.) I don't know if groups work on multiple projects a lot but if they don't then Bleach will probobly be done by another group.

masamuneehs
Sun, 04-02-2006, 10:14 AM
Seshomaru had better be doing Dullindal! That guy's VA (can't remember his name either...) is one of the better English VAs out there. He was absolutely fantastic as Treize Kushrenada in Gundam Wing and his Seshomaru is easily the best voice on dubbed Inuyasha. He's got a calm, serious and brooding voice that works perfectly for 'mature, no nonsense' characters.

edit - sorry, i realise that this topic is getting woefully off-topic... I guess it's got alot to do with the fact that we have very very little facts on the Bleach dub to discuss... and speculation can (and will) include every wild thought out there...

XanBcoo
Sun, 04-02-2006, 01:48 PM
I also like Sesshoumaru's (spelling?) voice. It's one of the better ones from the Inuyasha cast (I can't stand Kagome's voice). I think he would be good as Byakuya, because the two have similar personalities.

XanBcoo
Fri, 05-12-2006, 08:13 PM
A recent quote from Steven Blum on the Narutofan forums:

p.s. Can't audition for Bleach. They went non-union.
NO! Not only does this mean my fantasy of Blum playing Urahara probably will not come true, it also means that it's very likely Bleach will be dubbed by the Ocean Group in Vancouver. Those are the guys behind the Inuyasha dub (which I don't particularly like).

This could be a good thing or a bad thing. For me, no Blum = a bad thing. Damn.

bagandscalpel
Sat, 05-13-2006, 07:32 AM
I also like Sesshoumaru's (spelling?) voice. It's one of the better ones from the Inuyasha cast (I can't stand Kagome's voice). I think he would be good as Byakuya, because the two have similar personalities.

NO! Not only does this mean my fantasy of Blum playing Urahara probably will not come true, it also means that it's very likely Bleach will be dubbed by the Ocean Group in Vancouver. Those are the guys behind the Inuyasha dub (which I don't particularly like).

Well, well, looks like you'll be getting your "wish" of Sesshoumaru's English VA being in Bleach (mwahahaha).

Assertn
Mon, 05-15-2006, 01:12 PM
http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf

UChessmaster
Mon, 05-15-2006, 11:37 PM
is that one of those things that looks normal and sudden change into a creepy face and a strong screech?

XanBcoo
Tue, 05-16-2006, 10:55 PM
http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
lol, I saw that a while ago somewhere else. I wanted to post it here but couldn't for the life of me think of where to put it.

I could watch it all day, though. The song is catchy.

Tiger of The wind
Wed, 05-17-2006, 08:13 PM
if they get a sound alike for rukia i hope whoever they get will be better then who they got to play naruto lol

oh hey do you guys think inuyashas voice would be good for ichigo

i have a question thats a bit off topic um i was wondering if the lady that does the voice of rukia is the same lady that does the voice for the rich girl thats after kiichi in the ah my goddess series sub

anime892
Sat, 07-15-2006, 10:59 PM
http://www.bleachportal.net/bleach/multimedia/direct_bleach_fandub_episodes

saman
Sun, 07-16-2006, 12:42 PM
so, in official dub news, it looks like four people have been confirmed.

Kate Higgins as Karin Kurosaki and Michelle Ruff as Yuzu Kurosaki. Yuri Lowenthal and Steve Staley have also been confirmed, although Yuri's said he's playing a minor character.

XanBcoo
Sun, 07-16-2006, 01:15 PM
so, in official dub news, it looks like four people have been confirmed.

Thanks for the info Saman! Source plz?

Kate Higgins as Karin Kurosaki and Michelle Ruff as Yuzu Kurosaki. Yuri Lowenthal and Steve Staley have also been confirmed, although Yuri's said he's playing a minor character.
For anyone who's interested Kate Higgins (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=20166) is currently playing Sakura on Naruto. I don't really like her very much, but I can imagine her very well as Karin.

Michelle Ruff (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=7125) is a seasoned VA who has awesome range. It's a pity they're wasting her on such a minor character like Ichigo's sis. I could have seen Ruff playing Orihime, but whatever.

Yuri Lowenthal plays Sasuke on Naruto, so it would be great to have him reprise another one of Noriaki Sugiyama's (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=3176) roles and play Ishida, but apparently he's only playing a minor character.

Steve Staley should quit the business. He's a fucking dork and can't act.The end.

saman
Sun, 07-16-2006, 02:31 PM
hmm, alright, let's see. kate herself has confirmed that she's in bleach:
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=84753630&blogID=132301355&MyToken=bcddee83-c886-4f1b-a2a2-5c8671674796

she's also confirmed michelle ruff's role in an email to someone:

Originally Posted by Kate Higgins
thanks. um.... i'm playing karin, the sarcastic sister. it's fun. and i think michelle ruff is the other sister. and , oh , i forgot the guy who's ichigo. i'm drawing a blank. i'll write you when i remember!
k

that's here: http://www.bleachforums.com/showthread.php?t=13847&page=24&pp=10&highlight=yuri+lowenthal

ANN.com also has those two listed: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=4240

about yuri lowenthal, bleach7's webmaster posted this:

Well, I can confirm one more casting. Apparently Yuri Lowenthal is in the mix. I sent him an email on which part. He didn't reveal who, but he did say he was doing a minor character. He did confirm that Viz will reveal who is cast for what soon.

Yuri Lowenthal posted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think they'll be doing an official BLEACH dub cast announcement soon, so I'm not sure if I should say anything, but I think you'll be happy with the casting. I play a minor role on the show. They (VIZ & Studiopolis) are taking great care with the series, and know that there are a lot of nervous and excited fans out there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

that's here: http://boards.ign.com/bleach/b8101/120202932/p2/?19

as for steve staley, it seems to be pretty widely accepted that he's in bleach, but uh, i can't seem to find the actual confirmation anywhere. *continues searching*

eat_toast
Sun, 07-23-2006, 02:10 PM
Stolen from Bleach 7 frontpage (http://www.bleach7.com/):

"Viz announces main cast members for Bleach Dub

According to this article (http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=11724), they announced the main cast members of the dub.

Ichigo - Johnny Yong Bosch
Rukia - Michelle Ruff
Isshin - Patrick Seitz
Karin - Kate Higgins
Orihime - Stephanie Sheh
Tatsuki - Wendee Lee
Ishida - Derek Stephen Prince"

Yukimura
Sun, 07-23-2006, 02:49 PM
NOOOOOOOOOO! I am not a fan of Johnny Young Bosh and am appalled that I'll have to hear him as Ichigo! His Renton in Eureka 7 is very irritating, but hopefully he'll put some bass back in his voice to sound something like Vash or Sakaki(WHR).

Michelle Ruff has a unique and interesting voice, I'm glad she's got the part of Rukia.

Ishida's VA has an odd somewhat whiny voice, which I'm also not looking forward to as Ishida is anything but whiny...

Darth Arrow
Sun, 07-23-2006, 02:59 PM
Tatsuki - Wendee Lee

Funny, I don't remember seeing any anime where Wendee Lee isn't cast on some role or another. Not that it would bother me though, as I'm not native English speaker, I never watch my animes in English anyway. ;) It just seems that she's cast in every series where I've checked who's done voices in English...

Mizuchi
Sun, 07-23-2006, 04:18 PM
hey yukimura. Mizuchi > w.e attack yukimura uses at the end when she gets her legendary bow (i dont remember wat its called). :)

and yes, yami kyo > yami yugi.

anyway, since id get flamed if i dont contribute to the thread, i hear bleach is comming to adult swim sumtime in october.

XanBcoo
Mon, 07-24-2006, 05:30 AM
Rukia - Michelle Ruff
Isshin - Patrick Seitz
Karin - Kate Higgins
Orihime - Stephanie Sheh
Tatsuki - Wendee Lee
Ishida - Derek Stephen Prince"
Sunnovabitch! Bosch as Ichigo?? That doesn't quite work out at all. I love the guy (hate him as Vash), but he just isn't an "Ichigo" type. He's got a soft spoken, cool guy voice. I'm really intrigued to see how this'll turn out.

Michelle Ruff as Rukia is a great choice, though. As I mentioned before, she's a great actress and has been able to pull off tomboy characters in the past. A grave, lower voice like Rukia's should be no problem. I am very happy with this choice :).

Stephanie Sheh is cleaning up as Hinata on Naruto. She'll make a great Orihime.

But Derek Stephen Prince playing Ishida will make loads of fans pissed. I'm calling it now. Message boards will be filled with "I hate the Bleach dub! Ishida sounds like a nasaly, whiney fag!" Not that I have anything against the guy, but his voice is...unique. However, he can sound like a badass at times (Chou the Sword Hunter from RuroKen). I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Phoenix20578
Mon, 07-24-2006, 07:31 AM
Stolen from Bleach 7 frontpage (http://www.bleach7.com/):

"Viz announces main cast members for Bleach Dub

According to this article (http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=11724), they announced the main cast members of the dub.

Hmmmm...If memory serves...wasn't he the black and green power rangers at one point o_0

...wow...i feel old for remembering that...

Knives122
Mon, 07-24-2006, 10:32 AM
LOL, you're right phoenix he was the black ranger in zeo then the green in turbo. I had thought he died b/c I never heard of him after those roles. But he's actually been VAing, that's awesome.

ps: you didn't hear this from me....

Phoenix20578
Tue, 07-25-2006, 08:46 PM
I accually thought he died also...I guess the only sucess from the entire power rangers thing was Jason David Frank, who is now rich of his ass since hes incredibly well known in the Martial Arts world.

Back on topic:

I really hope the VA's do a good job here...wow, du-ja-vu...I remember saying this about the Naruto Dub, and look what happened there...

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Wed, 07-26-2006, 03:54 AM
I accually thought he died also...I guess the only sucess from the entire power rangers thing was Jason David Frank, who is now rich of his ass since hes incredibly well known in the Martial Arts world.

now was that Tommy or Jason? Im thinking tommy if my memory from 6 serves me right.

sounds like Ichigo is going to be mediocre, rukia badass, and ishida will be the annoying one everyone hates.

luckily he doesnt stay a vagina for too long in the show

eat_toast
Thu, 07-27-2006, 02:46 PM
An interview with Johnny Bosch concerning his upcoming role as Ichigo can be found here. (http://animeomnitude.com/?page=content/interviews/johnnybosch/johnnybosch)

XanBcoo
Wed, 08-23-2006, 01:08 PM
Fucking win. Thanks for the link eattoast. Pretty interesting, especially this part:

Anime Omnitude: When you're cast a role are you given information to help develop your role as a character?

Johnny Bosch: Usually, it's only what I find online or what the director tells me. But in this case, I did a bit more research as I want to make sure the fans of the show are happy and watched a few episodes, I'm picking up the manga at the next con.

Also this:

Johnny Bosch: Why not? I was called to audition for a show and did my best to get it. I had to come in a few times though. At first I read him in my deepest range with an edgy attitude but then they had me back it off and play him lighter and then once more with my low register. I thought for sure I didn't get it because of how many times I had to go back.

I'm so curious to see how this guy sounds as Ichigo. Can't wait. Only a few weeks until September 9th!

XanBcoo
Thu, 08-31-2006, 12:45 PM
The Bleach promo aired last night on AdultSwim:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65lg2h58Qe8

Wow...Ichigo actually sounds...really really good. I wasn't expecting Bosch to be able to fit his character, but after hearing the few lines he had in the commercial, I was near convinced he'd been playing Ichigo for years. I'm happily surprised.

I'm not so surprised about Rukia though. I knew Michelle Ruff would be amazing, and I was right (again judging from the few lines heard). She's just got that perfect tomboyish, slightly creepy voice. She sounds a bit monotonous, but that could just be the intended tone of the lines.

I have seriously high hopes for this dub.

Onineku
Thu, 08-31-2006, 05:35 PM
awh man, that looked really sweet!

I definately wanna catch this show in english... though i hope their choice of good VA's hasnt ended hereand that they get good cast for the rest of the crew.

Assassin
Thu, 08-31-2006, 07:28 PM
i actually think rukia's va is perfect but ichigo sounds retarded. hes too laid back and relaxed. im afraid it'll sounds extremely retarded during some of the high tension comedy scenes like with kenpachi (after the fight ofcourse) and the stuff with isshin.

Knives122
Thu, 08-31-2006, 08:17 PM
The Bleach promo aired last night on AdultSwim:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65lg2h58Qe8

Wow...Ichigo actually sounds...really really good. I wasn't expecting Bosch to be able to fit his character, but after hearing the few lines he had in the commercial, I was near convinced he'd been playing Ichigo for years. I'm happily surprised.

I'm not so surprised about Rukia though. I knew Michelle Ruff would be amazing, and I was right (again judging from the few lines heard). She's just got that perfect tomboyish, slightly creepy voice. She sounds a bit monotonous, but that could just be the intended tone of the lines.

I have seriously high hopes for this dub.

I have high hopes for Bosch. After all, he is the 2nd black power ranger.....but you didn't hear that from me.

Tiger of The wind
Thu, 08-31-2006, 11:21 PM
yeah ichigo does sound too laid back i dont think Boschs voice fits him at all

rukias dub voice sounds pretty good though

mage
Thu, 08-31-2006, 11:38 PM
I think Rukia's sounded amateur-ish and Ichigo's sounded pretty good.

Yukimura
Fri, 09-01-2006, 12:32 AM
Interesting that a lot of us like one but not the other. I personally think Rukia sounds good but Bosch doesn't strike the Ichigo chord for me at all. Also it sounded more like Johnny Young Boush talking into a mike then Ichigo speaking as a narrator, which could just be the situation, but it definately disturbed me. Hopefully the minor charachters won't suck too much.

ChaosK
Fri, 09-01-2006, 01:25 AM
Well, neither of them are too bad, however I do prefer Ichigo's over Rukia's.

Aeon
Fri, 09-01-2006, 01:51 AM
Wow I'm late, I didn't even know Bleach was licensed till I saw the commercial for it and Trinity Blood while watching FMA and Big O last night. The voices sounded really good.

NeoCybercoin
Fri, 09-01-2006, 10:52 AM
Yeah I guess the voices are ok.

XanBcoo
Fri, 09-01-2006, 11:37 AM
I was just really worried that Ichigo was gonna sound like Vash or Kiba (Wolf's Rain Kiba, not Naruto Kiba). But Bosch seems to have given him a little edge in his voice. I'm still not happy that he got the role over someone more suited for it, but at least he's talented and will do a good job no matter what kind of voice he has.

I really gotta hear how Ruff portrays Rukia a bit more though. I think her voice fits Rukia perfectly, but like some have said, she sounds a bit...flat.

ChaosK
Fri, 09-01-2006, 11:42 AM
I really gotta hear how Ruff portrays Rukia a bit more though. I think her voice fits Rukia perfectly, but like some have said, she sounds a bit...flat.

Hidden meaning? ;)

DarthEnderX
Sat, 09-02-2006, 12:22 AM
I see they went with Soul Reaper as the translation for Shinagami. No complaints there.

Knives122
Fri, 09-08-2006, 11:19 PM
YTV got it yesterday so the dubbed opening is online already, prepare to be stunned:

Bleach dubbed op. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HF5dAGwbSk)

woofcat
Sat, 09-09-2006, 12:26 AM
caught a bit of the episode today. I saw the hollow opening scene and ichigo beat up those skater punks. I didn't really like it because his voice failed to capture the emotion for me. Eh, it was ok, but not what i had expected. Hell the Naruto dub was better IMO.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 09-09-2006, 12:47 AM
YTV got it yesterday so the dubbed opening is online already, prepare to be stunned: What am I supposed to be stunned about? It's the same as the japanese version. Which is normal for anime on Adult Swim.

Knives122
Sat, 09-09-2006, 08:50 AM
I only said that as a way to put your hopes up only to put your hope down when you found out nothing was changed...

mage
Sat, 09-09-2006, 10:06 AM
I'm glad they kept the full intro, usually they shorten it for American TV. Changing Naruto's intro was fucking dumb.

Here's part of the first episode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz4sUw_gwRk

woofcat
Sat, 09-09-2006, 12:01 PM
Soul Reaper? Death god was much better.

saman
Sat, 09-09-2006, 01:01 PM
wait till you guys hear kon's voice at the end

*wanders away leaving everyone with that cryptic statement*

XanBcoo
Sat, 09-09-2006, 08:52 PM
I'm determined to watch its premeir on AdultSwim, so I'm gonna hold off watching it on youtube. That'll kinda ruin the experience for me.

I'm so fucking hyped though. I've been checking around some forums and so far it's been pretty well accepted. Only a few more hours to go!

Fighter Fei
Sun, 09-10-2006, 12:13 AM
The voices are pretty well done I thought. My only real issue is Yuzu's voice. I just. don't. like it. Pronunciation is really good and from what I can tell, it seems like Viz took quite a bit of care with the series. That Adult Swim left in *-Asterisk- (and untouched, save for credit translations and such) makes me giggle with delight. Seems as though they're -really- catering to the fans with this, and I'm actually looking forward to seeing some other voices. But I do still wonder about Ishida, Inoue, and Sado/Chad.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 09-10-2006, 03:16 AM
Watched it, was pretty much awsome all around. I mean, shit, they even called Zanpaktous....Zanpaktous.

You know it's funny, when the opening before the last one first came out, I kept wondering what the significance of the black butterfly was at the end. I had totally forgotten that it was already in the series, all the way at the beginning. It had been so long since anyone actually put a soul at peace that I didn't remember it at all.

It almost made me go back and start watching again but then I was just...fuck it, I'll just watch the dub.

XanBcoo
Mon, 09-11-2006, 12:08 AM
Wow, I'm so impressed with how Bosch handled Ichigo. He sounded perfect. Absolutely brilliant. I was kinda afraid he'd sound soft-spoken like Kiba or Vash, but he ended up sounding just like a punk-ass kid - which is how Ichigo is meant to sound. The guy has real talent.

Rukia...I'm not so happy about. I was excited to hear that Ruff was doing her voice, but in the end she sounded way too much like a young girl in my opinion. She needs to hit those lower registers in order to get that tomboyish feel that Rukia has. Some of her lines just didn't feel the same as they did in Japanese either. Example: when Ichigo first kicks her, the Japanese Rukia stammers "You...can see me..." and then flatly says "...and you kicked me." But in English it's just "You kicked me. But I can't be seen by ordinary humans..." I dunno, to me, little things like that detract from an otherwise perfect dub.

Isshin was funny (though I would have much rather had the guy who's doing Guy's voice in Naruto play him), Yuzu was a bit annoying but sounded natural, and Karin sounded a bit too nasaly for my tastes. I guess they were ok though, for minor characters.

The pronounciations of Japanese names and terms was done impeccably, partly due to the fact that the cast has a Japanese voice coach teaching them pronounciations. I was impressed at how they kept in Japanese words too, like Zanpakuto and the spell names (pronouncing them perfectly, for the most part). I think it gives the show a good atmosphere. I also like how they used the term "Soul Reaper" instead of Shingami because 1. Anyone not familiar with the show wouldn't know what a Shinigami was, and 2. Kubo Tite actually intended for the term "soul reaper" to be used instead of "death god". As I mentioned before, I had minor quibbles with some script changes, but not enough to prevent me from really enjoying that episode.

In general, the English dub is pretty good. Pretty DAMN good. I'd say it's much better than the Naruto dub was when it first started out and already much more accepted among fans of the original dub. I'm hoping it can only get better. A-fucking-plus.

Canadian
Sat, 09-16-2006, 11:11 AM
Personally I found "Soul Reaper" to make perfect sense.

Anyways, the pronounciation of names and such was well done. I definitely hated Rukia's voice-over. I'd say Ichigo's is the most well-suited voice-over. Compared to Naruto - and many other dub jobs for that matter - this English dub is pretty good.

darkmetal505
Sat, 09-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Bleach episodes 1 & 2 eng dub:

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=koneko00

I liked it

nests
Mon, 09-18-2006, 01:26 AM
I actually enjoyed this dub is pretty good so far, better than Naruto's anyway I quickly got used to Ichigo's voice in english so that means is actually pretty good

samsonlonghair
Thu, 09-21-2006, 05:09 AM
They actually did a decent job dubbing this. As long as they don't make up a catch phrase for Ichigo I'll be happy, believe it.

Church
Fri, 09-22-2006, 04:11 AM
I have to agree... much better than Naruto's dub, Bleach's dubbing is very well done, very natural.

saman
Fri, 09-22-2006, 10:11 PM
sigh. tonight's episode made me cry against my will. twice. don't tell anyone though. but yeah, very well done episode.

nests
Sun, 09-24-2006, 11:34 PM
Ahhh! yes re-waching this episodes is making me remeber why I stared to like tha anime in the first place now the last ones left hear is Ishida and Byakuya if those voices are fine that I wont mind any of the others

XanBcoo
Sun, 10-15-2006, 12:20 AM
Episode 6 is on Youtube:

Part 1/3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x36ICNidfTQ)
Part 2/3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXjjaGa-bYk)
Part 3/3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4LcpX26SlM)

Notable new characters: Kon, Urahara, Tessai, Jinta, Ururu.

Anyone who's even looked at Metal Gear Solid 2 should recognize Quinton Flynn (a.k.a Raiden) as Kon. Personally I love his voice. He did a pretty good job as Kon inside Ichigo's body. We'll have to wait and see how he sounds as the hyperactive-lion we've all come to love him as, though. Next week should tell.

Tessai, Jinta, and Ururu all sounded ok I guess. Jinta sounds a bit young and shrill. Really childish and somewhat unnatural. Perhaps Maille Flannigan would have made a better Jinta. Ururu was perfect I think, and Tessai sounded pretty good.

Urahara...God. I can't accept Michael Lindsay as Urahara. His young, nasaly voice just does not fit Urahara at all. I can't say that enough. He was completely miscast. They picked the worst possible actor to reprise Shinichiro Miki's cool, cocky Urahara. The guy's not a bad actor at all. I love him in other roles. He just doesn't have the right sound to play this character. Major failure.

Ichigo sounded really funny in this episode. I lol'd when he was freaking in the warehouse out about Kon going around in his body. His Vash voice snuck through a bit. Good episode all in all.

saman
Sat, 12-09-2006, 12:26 PM
new credit and lyrics in this week's episode - arigatou by home made kazoku.

also, derek stephen prince is awesome as ishida.

masamuneehs
Sun, 12-17-2006, 01:11 AM
yes, super late on this, but better late than never, right?

wow, well i watched an episode of the Bleach dub today, and man did it remind how much I prefer fansubs... The Japanese VAs.... just levels better, more fitting of the animation style, the behavior, the characters...

I think it was Episode 15. The one where Kon runs away and Rukia decides to leave. It's the first episode with Yorouichi and Renji (at the very end), plus the minor characters at the school have tons of lines, as almost all the scenes are typical conversations between classes.

some of the dubbed voices sounded alright. Ichigo's was fine, Ishida's was pretty good too. Kon's.... I'm willing to accept it, Raiden (that's forever who this guy is to me) is obviously trying hard at it, and he's pretty zany, not a bad match. The one line of Yoro's cat voice didn't sound awful, but not quite distinctive or gravely enough.

echo what Xan said about Lindsey as Urahara, not a good match at all.

watching this episode was real tough, because it's so dialogue driven, and the english VA cast for the side-characters was less than stellar. For the girls I kept on thinking, "They sound so much alike!" and that was weird, since the Japanese VA's I can't actually understand their speech!, but the Jap. voices are all so different and unique... But every time the girls spoke, it was like listening to the same VA trying to pitch a slightly different character... Orihime, Tatsuki and Rukia obviously stood out as exceptions to this... Keigo's voice sucked particularly hard.

but what ruined it for me was Rukia's voice. This episode was the one where I really decided I liked Bleach, because I could watch a whole episode and just care about the characters! I found all the little conversations and hintings/foreshadowing in this not-action packed episode to be really entertaining still! Rukia is at center stage in this episode, hers is the plot movement. The Japanese VA did an absolutely fabulous job putting emotion into this episode.

the english Rukia just sucked. The whole episode I just shook my head everytime she tried to intone something. Half the time she just had a dull, level tone of voice, and that was probably the best part! Cuz every time she made an attempt to convey any sort of feeling or emotion she failed miserably.

and I'm not just a dub hater... I do like dubs and think they have a really difficult task to do, and expecting them to surpass the original production, which was the element the show was originally forged in, is ludicrous. But I was pretty disappointed with my first impression of the Bleach dub.

XanBcoo
Sat, 01-27-2007, 05:35 AM
Oh dang, am I behind on the Bleach dub. I've only just now caught up with watching up to episode 20 on Youtube.

Before I say anything, I wanna say how hopeful I was when I saw episode #1. I loved it. Michelle Ruff has the perfect voice for Rukia, and Bosch's Ichigo is just so natural. Now though, I am gonna have to agree with Masa. As all the characters have had time to show what they can do, it's just become so mediocre, with only a few high points to note.

The dub has now ruined 2 voices for me: Urahara and Renji (played by Wally Wingert, of Family Guy fame - yeah, I said "Family Guy fame" so what? Wanna fight about it??). Renji's voice is just so terrible I can't stand it. He can't even pronounce his name OR his Zanpakuto's properly. Listening to him speak is like watching some shitty fan-dub. What were they thinking? Why does he sound so obnoxious? Based on the sound of his voice alone, I can't bring myself to listen to him for more than a minute. Like Urahara, he was completely miscast. Wingert should stick to American cartoons, 'cause he just sounds goofy as Renji.

God...Urahara. Y'know, I've ranted on several message boards about this on several different occasions, but I don't think it's quite out of my system yet: Urahara sucks. He has completely lost all the fancy in his voice, all his suave style, and just about everything else Shinichiro Miki brought to the role. Every funny scene is now devoid of humor, and he's got 0 energy. In particular, both of my favorite Urahara scenes were utterly butchered. They're just not funny anymore, and that's a real downer. :(.

There have also been several really strange changes made to the script that I can't get my head around. Why did they not fuzz out Zangetsu's name when he first introduced himself, like they did in Japanese? Why do they call Ishida "Uryuu", when everyone should refer to him as "Ishida"? Kon's "nice angle" line was also taken out completely earlier on. The scene when Orihime summoned her fairies, only to be attacked by them was just dead. These are minor quibbles, but they all are pretty jarring after having watched it in Japanese first. There have been other awkward script changes that I can't bring to mind at the moment, and they are few and far between, but each one just makes me scratch my head.

Anyway, here's episode 20:
Episode 20 part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vFcVlTS238)
Episode 20 part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ocZf65GlGI)
Episode 20 part 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmYb7LytN54)

Wow. All my complaints aside, there are still several saving graces from this episode alone. Zaraki Kenpachi's voice is made of growls and win. I love it. He sounds just like a hulking tough guy should. Spot-freaking-on. Cat-Yoroichi is a great actor, destined to play the "sensei" character. I particularly liked his lines in part 3 at the 2:10 mark. It just flowed so damn nicely, like he was some sort of motivational speaker. I sat there, nodding my head, saying "yes sir, yes sir". The dude's got talent. Richard Epcar (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=1090)'s rich voice was a great pick for Zangetsu. He's deep, forceful, and commanding. He lets his naturally powerful voice do all the work and I love it.

The best voices, in my opinion, all come from the Ichigo-gang. I've found I MUCH prefer Ishida's English voice to his Japanese one. He's had some moments of sincere depth in his readings thus far, and overall just has a fitting voice. Chad and Orihime are great. They work well of each other, and are decent actors too. Chad in particular is just hilarious every time he opens his mouth. Perfect voice for the role.

So yeah. A combination of the "pretty awesome" with the "exceedingly terrible" makes for a mediocre dub in my opinion. I like it, but I don't love it...

Mizuchi
Sat, 01-27-2007, 02:44 PM
omg...

Everytime time i watch the dub, my ears bleed uncontrollably. It's like watching a parody of the show, everything is pronounced wrong, people talk like idiots. only ichigo, gin, and zaraki's voices are decent. Byakuya, renji, and urahara (the most dissapointing of all) sound like they are short half a brain.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 01-27-2007, 02:48 PM
I was watching tonight, and when Ichigo was talking to Zangetsu, there was a song playing that I hear all the time in the series, but there were these soft english lyrics over it that I never noticed before. Was that always there, and they just don't play that version very often, or is that new to the dub?

Every funny scene is now devoid of humor, and he's got 0 energy. In particular, both of my favorite Urahara scenes were utterly butchered. They're just not funny anymore, and that's a real downer. :(Really? I can't recall a situation where Urahara was anything but completely deadpan with maybe a half-a-smirk on his face.

XanBcoo
Sun, 01-28-2007, 04:51 PM
I was watching tonight, and when Ichigo was talking to Zangetsu, there was a song playing that I hear all the time in the series, but there were these soft english lyrics over it that I never noticed before. Was that always there, and they just don't play that version very often, or is that new to the dub?
It's always been there. It really reminds me of a Yoko Kanno-type song, actually.

Really? I can't recall a situation where Urahara was anything but completely deadpan with maybe a half-a-smirk on his face.
I'll assume you're talking about the Japanese version. In which case, you've got to be shitting me. Deadpan?? You and I must have different definitions of that word, or you've never actually listened to Urahara speak in Japanese. Part of the reason I love Shinichiro Miki so much is because his voice is so distinctive and his acting style so unique. I don't speak Japanese very well at all, but you can hear when it's him. He's just got "it".

Example: the episode that was on last night. There's a scene in this episode that is a great example of Urahara's quirkiness:
Japanese version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_3s6e19FTU) at the 4:15 mark.
English version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toDi_GQMvM4) at the 4:45 mark.

To me, the difference in those performances is like night and day. Michael Lindsay just sounds like one of the adults from Charlie Brown. I can think of a handful of actors that could have pulled off the role so much better. I'm just disappointed in the wasted potential I guess...

Ah well, but at least it gives me a chance to rant about something I love :D.

Edit: and for the record, here's one of the scenes I was referring to as my favorite:
Japanese version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf66vKhia2o) at 00:43
English version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlNpaITMyp4) at 1:30

DarthEnderX
Sun, 03-04-2007, 03:26 AM
Haha, Mayuri sounds like Starscream.

knifecrew
Sun, 03-04-2007, 03:29 AM
JESUS Christ that was like major overload of horrible dubs... Okay so maybe that's being a little dramatic, but I was highly disappointed with a significant amount of the characters who were introduced. Or I should just wait until I hear them again, and not only for a second or two.

XanBcoo
Sun, 03-04-2007, 09:43 PM
Haha, Mayuri sounds like Starscream.
I'm pretty sure Mayuri is being played by Quinton Flynn (also playing Kon). Not too sure. In any case, he sounds great! You can tell they were going for an emulation of Mayuri's JP VA and I think it worked.

The rest of the new voices were also great. With the possible exception of Hitsugaya...who sounds much older than Romi Paku's version. I also think it might be Steve Staley playing him. And I fucking hate Steve Staley.

JESUS Christ that was like major overload of horrible dubs... Okay so maybe that's being a little dramatic, but I was highly disappointed with a significant amount of the characters who were introduced. Or I should just wait until I hear them again, and not only for a second or two.
It's being extremely dramatic. None of the voices were bad at all. Why were they horrible? Because they sounded like normal people? I don't get why you're complaining. They didn't sound corny or forced or anything. :confused:.

In particular, I love Kukakku and Rangiku's (so damn sexy) voice. They're absolutely perfect.

Edit: A Youtube link to the episode if anyone's interested:
Part 1/3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAeagHn1BTY)
Part 2/3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MUkwc3B7f8)
Part 3/3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xHKUrBg4Ak)

knifecrew
Sun, 03-04-2007, 09:52 PM
It's being extremely dramatic. None of the voices were bad at all. Why were they horrible? Because they sounded like normal people? I don't get why you're complaining. They didn't sound corny or forced or anything. :confused:.

Ever heard of something called an "opinion"? If not, you might wanna look it up.

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Sun, 03-04-2007, 10:27 PM
the dub sounds pretty good to me

DarthEnderX
Mon, 03-05-2007, 03:10 PM
The one voice I didn't much care for was Kenpachi. He just didn't seem scary enough. He sounded almost uptight. Very serious. He needs more savagery!

Ever heard of something called an "opinion"? If not, you might wanna look it up.Opinions are like assholes. They all stink, and knifecrew's has a dick in it.

knifecrew
Mon, 03-05-2007, 03:24 PM
So...your opinion stinks, too? *shrug*

XanBcoo
Tue, 03-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Ever heard of something called an "opinion"? If not, you might wanna look it up.
No one's invalidating your opinion. I just asked why you thought they were so horrifically bad, when honestly, Bleach has one of the better anime dubs in recent memory. There are no glaring flaws. Almost every character speaks naturally and 90% of the terms are pronounced spot on. Also, in my opinion, most of the voices fit the characters just as well as the JP VA's.

It's cool if you don't like the dub. Just be ready for me to defend it, 'cause I think it's pretty decent.

knifecrew
Tue, 03-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think that Bleach has done well with some characters, such as Ichigo, Rukia, Kon and now I'm getting used to Renji. Orihime's VA is alright, I don't exactly have any beef with her. But Ishida, Chad, Urahara, and some more that I can't pull off of the top of my head right now, are where I start to have some problems.

However, I do recall saying that, as it was my first time hearing some of the other character's voices (Captain meeting scene), I would have to give it another try. And maybe I could get used to hearing them after a while.

Some evidence to point out:

So don't jump on my case just yet.

We're two different people with different tastes. You think the voices sound fine, but to me they weren't all that great. I don't think I need to say much more.

Assassin
Tue, 03-06-2007, 10:12 PM
Opinions are like assholes. They all stink, and knifecrew's has a dick in it.

Stop the unecessary flaming....no one cares what you think of someone elses opinion, or opinions in general. Consider this a verbal warning.

WhoGoesThere
Mon, 05-07-2007, 04:43 AM
Well, I'm looking forward to that and I hope that they would do the show justice.

itadakimasu
Mon, 05-07-2007, 11:01 AM
I caught the last 5 minutes or so on saturday... to me dub vs sub is a weird thing. having seen bleach subbed to the present episode, its hard to watch it dubbed.

but with other series' that i watched in dub first, it is hard for me to watch them subbed. I don't think the bleach dub is horrible, i just think that if i hadn't seen it subbed... and if they aired it more often than once a week i would watch the dub. But to see an awesome show and know that there is so much more to watch is too much for my patience to handle.