PDA

View Full Version : Videocards, need some help deciding!

darkshadow
Thu, 03-23-2006, 01:16 PM
Ok here is the deal, i was gonna wait for the new dx10 cards to come out before purchasing a new card, but oblivion showed me that my poor x700 pro isnt gonna cut it anymore ( it runs, just not how i want it too :P--gfx junky-- )

so i had been eyeballing the x1800xl for awhile, way back when it was announced, but now it seems the 7900gt is even cheaper, even though i favor ati, the 7900gt being cheaper attracts me a bit more cause i do not intend to use this card any longer then febuary 2007, thats when ill upgrade to a dx10 (ati) card

so what i need now, are totally UNbiased opinions, i dont need ati fanboy's or nvidiots saying: " get ***** cause ***(***) rox!!! its the best!!" and crap like that, i would like to hear good opinions about which card is favorable, based on: performance, and the short time i will be using this card

Assertn
Thu, 03-23-2006, 01:51 PM
If it's unbiased opinions based on performance you want, then why not check somewhere that would actually test something like that firsthand?
like www.hardocp.com

IFHTT
Thu, 03-23-2006, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I got to agree with Assertn, It's very likely that many people here have never had the chance to test both and give you the kind of info you want. I was going to reply but I prefer nvidia cards and my opinion is not valid in this case. I do know however that ati cards are notorious for running very hot, but regardless since I've already stated that I prefer nvidia cards, what I say will sound biased.:cool: Just check hardocp and tomshardware, they usually have very good detailed reports on performance, etc.

Assertn
Thu, 03-23-2006, 02:02 PM
nvidia cards are cheaper and offer better driver support.

darkshadow
Thu, 03-23-2006, 02:10 PM
Ok i just checked some reviews, and it seems the 7900gt is even better then the 7800gtx, but its even cheaper then a x1800xl o_O, im definitly getting a 7900gt then

IFHTT
Thu, 03-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Heh, thats what I would get, of course I do technically qualify as an nvidiot :D

Assertn
Thu, 03-23-2006, 02:19 PM
get sli support and then a year later instead of dumping out your nvidia card for a new one, you can double it's power.

IFHTT
Thu, 03-23-2006, 02:29 PM
Indeed, and two 7900gts running in sli sounds so awesome. I don't have an sli rig but one of my friends does (2 7800gts) and it just chugs through any current game with no problem. He was playing Call of duty 2 with settings maxed and it still barely put the cards through any work. I realize though that CoD2 isn't the newest game or anything but its still a nice accomplishment. Just make sure if you plan to go sli you get a good beefy power supply.

darkshadow
Thu, 03-23-2006, 02:41 PM
my psu is fine, i upgraded it before i got the x700pro, its at 550w currently
and no im not gonna get a sli system, cause when i get that dx10 card, i want the best one ati can give me, so ill also buy a crossfire mobo when the time comes