PDA

View Full Version : So I downloaded that Rosetta Stone Language Software

IFHTT
Wed, 03-22-2006, 08:57 PM
Anyone here ever use it? I downloaded it with the japanese languages lessons because I've got loads of free time and decided what the hell I want to learn japanese. The approach it takes towards teaching you the language is weird, but oddly enough it works pretty well. Just wanted to get some opinions on it or to at least see if anyone else uses it or is interested in it. I hope that I get proficient enough with it to be able to watch an anime without subtitles and mainly because I need to do something to expand my brain. What do you guys think about the software?

Psyke
Wed, 03-22-2006, 09:44 PM
I've tried using this software a couple of years ago. I was pretty intrigued by it then, but later I realised that you can't learn Japanese proficiently using any software. If you are really serious about learning Japanese, go enroll in a course. That's what I did and I regret not going earlier. I did a lot of self study, but it got to a point where I couldn't advance any more on my own. I find it much easier and faster to learn too, if you have a class to go to and you can practise conversations as well.

For me since I studied Japanese on my own for a few months, I skipped 2 levels when I eventually joined a school. I cleared my JLPT4 exam last year, and will be taking my JLPT3 this December. It's a proficiency test and gets you into certain jobs/schools once you clear it. Another reason for going to a school. Think about it, and the reason why I'm recommending people to go for it is because I've been in this situation before and know how much one can learn through self study/software.

:)

IFHTT
Wed, 03-22-2006, 09:58 PM
Yeah, I am not dead set on learning yet, plus I don't know of any classes in the immediate area near me, but I can see what you mean by you can't learn proficiently with software... the one thing I don't like about this software though is that it just throws you in to reading with out any sort of glossary or anything. I was kind of pissed about it but at least i didn't pay for it yet, because this software is a little expensive for what it is.