PDA

View Full Version : Say Hello to your Super MODS!

Jadugar
Tue, 03-21-2006, 09:42 PM
THE KING IS DEAD. LONG LIVE THE KING.

Say hello to your super mods.

BEHOLD ! ! !

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/8883/mods0xl.jpg

IFHTT
Tue, 03-21-2006, 09:53 PM
I figured that why their names were in bold in the online users list. Sweet!

RedX1z
Tue, 03-21-2006, 10:01 PM
hi there!

and congradulations to the new people who just became super moderators..or so i think.

Terracosmo
Tue, 03-21-2006, 10:41 PM
There are no new mods, these people have been mods for a while, although in secret.

BUT NOW THEY'RE FREE TO ROAM THE STREEEETS!

kAi
Tue, 03-21-2006, 10:44 PM
Hey,

*ninja vanish*

oh shit, it's not working!!!!!

RedX1z
Tue, 03-21-2006, 10:51 PM
There are no new mods, these people have been mods for a while, although in secret.

BUT NOW THEY'RE FREE TO ROAM THE STREEEETS!

or so you think..*adds new names to the list* eh, i mean, of course!

seriously, though, 2 names on that list really suprised me.

XanBcoo
Tue, 03-21-2006, 10:58 PM
So what's with the new "no ninja-mod" policy? Why was it abandoned?

Also, I've always tried to guess who the mods were. I finally have confirmation! :D. Though the last two names did suprise me - the rest I had always had suspicions about >_>

Arcn3ss
Tue, 03-21-2006, 10:58 PM
wow Kai is a mod. And behind my back. You son of a bitch. You're dead to me now....

Wait, I cant hate kai, he's kai...

Gotwoot Moderator...You' re dead to me...

kAi
Tue, 03-21-2006, 11:04 PM
wow Kai is a mod. And behind my back. You son of a bitch. You're dead to me now....

Wait, I cant hate kai, he's kai...

Gotwoot Moderator...You' re dead to me...
lmao

sorry, but it never came up.

KitKat
Tue, 03-21-2006, 11:06 PM
Hey,

*ninja vanish*

oh shit, it's not working!!!!!

At least you live in the future, so that if they come for us you'll have the best chance of getting away :p

Raven
Tue, 03-21-2006, 11:12 PM
I'm not really a mod, go about your business. Ignore my custom title and the fact that my name's on that list. No, really!

*Fake edit: Damn, now nobody will trust anything I say ever again. :O

Knives122
Tue, 03-21-2006, 11:12 PM
I sorta figured those guys were mods before the bolds and colors and crap started appearing, except for some reason I didn't expect Kai to be a mod, hmmmmmm :p

Phoenix20578
Tue, 03-21-2006, 11:15 PM
Yeah, I'm with Knives here. Most of these guys I saw coming.

*Fake edit: Damn, now nobody will trust anything I say ever again. :O

I haven't trusted you since I found out you really don't look like Iceman. Sorry Raven, but thats how it is. You must re-earn my trust. :P

NM
Tue, 03-21-2006, 11:26 PM
Man, having "Moderator" as my custom title is SO awesome. And thus, my awesome-ness factor has now increased by tenfolds!! :D

I'm still the same ol' NM though. :)

kAi: You bastard!!! Stop editing my post!

Assassin
Wed, 03-22-2006, 12:12 AM
dammit, my secret is out! curse you comp!!

oh well....FEAR MY MODSHIP BITCHES!

Board of Command
Wed, 03-22-2006, 12:13 AM
NM, your awesomeness can be exponentially increased by posting that picture of yours. You know what I'm talking about.

Jadugar
Wed, 03-22-2006, 12:17 AM
FEAR MY MODSHIP BITCHES!

A Question?

Who do the moderators do? ;)

Terracosmo
Wed, 03-22-2006, 12:32 AM
A Question?

Who do the moderators do? ;)

*Cough cough*

complich8
Wed, 03-22-2006, 02:24 AM
So what's with the new "no ninja-mod" policy? Why was it abandoned?

Also, I've always tried to guess who the mods were. I finally have confirmation! :D. Though the last two names did suprise me - the rest I had always had suspicions about >_>

Ok ... there's two good reasons to ditch the whole ninja-mod scheme.

The first is that people have been largely able to figure out who the mods were ... and our moddy friends have been somewhat bad at keeping it quiet. Way I figure it, everyone had a good idea of who was a mod before, except the newbies. And the newbies are the people that probably most need to know who not to piss off, right?

Second is that vbulletin doesn't really support that mod method. While there were a couple things we could do to mask mod identities (like making the mod group a hidden group, making the members of it secondary group members and hiding edit signatures), there's a lot of mod functions that we just couldn't get around leaking their identities. Things like editing thread titles, deleting posts, locking threads, and giving warnings.

When we noticed that, it stuck me in a dilemma ... do we force all the mods to use this shared mod account ("GotWoot Moderator"), do we start hacking up the forum code to make it hide their identities better, or do we just say screw it and abandon the whole system.

Well, I'm something of an infosec guy (sysadmin and all), and a shared-access account, even with detailed logging, is just revolting to me to begin with -- not to mention inconvenient for all parties involved. And hacking up well-developed php code, likely breaking features and introducing unsupported new bugs, isn't any of our idea of a good time either... especially on live sites and production deployments like this one. So that pretty much killed that. So we talked it over, and decided that the costs involved with maintaining the (already somewhat-broken) system weren't really worth paying for the ostensible benefits we were getting from it.

So, there we are.

The bold mod names/colorful admin names are just added bonuses. I am thinking of changing the style of that to something more in line with the forum layout though.

IFHTT
Wed, 03-22-2006, 02:30 AM
The bold mod names/colorful admin names are just added bonuses. I am thinking of changing the style of that to something more in line with the forum layout though.
Please do!!! It looks funky with this sleek layout to see the admin's names in big bold blue text. The mod' names being black isn't is bad but you admin's names stick out like a turd in a punch bowl.

Assassin
Wed, 03-22-2006, 02:31 AM
so, can mods get like, bigger sigs and avataras? Cuz you know, it would, uh, make it easier for the new members to identify us, and like ask us questions and stuff

c'mon mods, who's with me!

complich8
Wed, 03-22-2006, 02:50 AM
no, bad :p.

Kraco
Wed, 03-22-2006, 03:41 AM
I never really even tried to guess them or think about it. A few were obvious, or leaked, but for example I never thought KitKat was a mod, even though she's certainly of the ideal material: always courteous, intelligent, nonaggressive, etc.

Well, despite being a spam artist (like my only neg rep called me) with lots of posts, I'm still a newbie here, which might explain some of the mods were genuine surprises for me.

so, can mods get like, bigger sigs and avataras? Cuz you know, it would, uh, make it easier for the new members to identify us, and like ask us questions and stuff
Heh heh. That was a nice try, certainly.

el_boss
Wed, 03-22-2006, 05:44 AM
I don't know how but I was never even aware that we had secret mods. Guess I didn't care since it didn't make any difference. The biggest suprise to me was the sheer amount of mods.

So everytime you claimed that you needed a new mod was just a joke? Since you already had 5 people to choose from.

Jadugar
Wed, 03-22-2006, 08:02 AM

c'mon mods, who's with me!

Please I dont want GW to turn into NarutoFan where sigs fill up half of the actual page.

New members can identify you with the tags, Moderators, under your names. Also mod name are highlighted and admins are now red so there should not be any problem.

Ask for a pay rise :p

Psyke
Wed, 03-22-2006, 08:43 AM
Kudos to the mods for making this a pleasant place to be in. It's a shame that most of the other forums I've been to (mostly from my country sadly) are full of people who are either making a fool of themselves or are spammers. The level of discussion is also sadly at the elementary school level. Anyway, good to be here and keep up the good job of maintaining the forum. :)

masamuneehs
Wed, 03-22-2006, 08:50 AM
unmasked after all...

and i acted like a mod even when i wasnt.... but i did have fun trying to make people believe i wasn't a mod...

oh well. Let me re-introduce myself:
I am the asshole moderator. I am the pickiest, meanest, longest-winded of all the moderators. You can think of Kitkat as the 'nice cop' and me as the 'bad cop'. I will break your fucking arms and legs and make you walk home using your bloody stumps.

Seriously, I don't take crap and I have an itchy trigger finger for Banning people. Please don't make me kick your ass.

Kraco
Wed, 03-22-2006, 09:02 AM
You can think of Kitkat as the 'nice cop' and me as the 'bad cop'. I will break your fucking arms and legs and make you walk home using your bloody stumps.

Hmm... Bud's custom title is "Jack Bauer", which makes me think he should be the bad cop, not you. And his avatar doesn't give any different impression, really.

Edit: But KitKat being the good cop I can certainly believe. Even her avatar just lifts your spirits.

Jadugar
Wed, 03-22-2006, 09:17 AM
Hmm... Bud's custom title is "Jack Bauer", which makes me think he should be the bad cop, not you. And his avatar doesn't give any different impression, really.

Thats because Bud just absolutely adores and is in love with Jack. Even Lana takes a second place.

NM
Wed, 03-22-2006, 09:19 AM
NM, your awesomeness can be exponentially increased by posting that picture of yours. You know what I'm talking about.

BoC, as a moderator, its my job to make all of you guys happy and believe me, if anyone is giving you trouble or theres a problem, you can always give me a pm and I'll take care of whatever it is to put a smile on your happy little faces. But I don't have the pic of my mustache. kthanxbye! :p

Deblas
Wed, 03-22-2006, 09:55 AM
I never would've guessed Bud and Kitkat to be mods. Though I always suspected the rest of them since they were mods before the "Ninja mod" thing started. Hehe, I always thought the One Piece forum was mod less but it happens that we had three of them all along.

Jadugar
Wed, 03-22-2006, 09:58 AM
Hehe, I always thought the One Piece forum was mod less but it happens that we had three of them all along.

Which shows how great their work has been? :p

Turkish-S
Wed, 03-22-2006, 11:07 AM
DISCRIMINATION!!! There isn't even 1 turk in the staff..

masamuneehs
Wed, 03-22-2006, 11:30 AM
DISCRIMINATION!!! There isn't even 1 turk in the staff..

we got assassin and me holding down the minority front. heck, i don't even know the other mods nationalities/races. if there were any Turks capable of doing the job they'd have been signed on long ago...

KitKat
Wed, 03-22-2006, 11:43 AM
Y'know, it always amused me when people referred to my mod edits with a male pronoun.

Kraco
Wed, 03-22-2006, 12:17 PM
Oh? That indicates your mod edits weren't lady like enough, I'm afraid. Were you aiming to be just one of the guys, perhaps? Well, no worries like that anymore, though, as it's all revealed now.

XanBcoo
Wed, 03-22-2006, 12:36 PM
I am the asshole moderator. I am the pickiest, meanest, longest-winded of all the moderators.
lol, I always suspected those "hey dipshit, try using the search function [enter much more verbal punishment here]" Mod edits might have been yours.

Jadugar
Wed, 03-22-2006, 12:44 PM
lol, I always suspected those "hey dipshit, try using the search function [enter much more verbal punishment here]" Mod edits might have been yours.

I think he is the latest recuit. Am I right?

Terracosmo
Wed, 03-22-2006, 12:45 PM
You are correct.

Jadugar
Wed, 03-22-2006, 12:54 PM
unmasked after all...
oh well. Let me re-introduce myself:
I am the asshole moderator. I am the pickiest, meanest, longest-winded of all the moderators. You can think of Kitkat as the 'nice cop' and me as the 'bad cop'. I will break your fucking arms and legs and make you walk home using your bloody stumps.

Seriously, I don't take crap and I have an itchy trigger finger for Banning people. Please don't make me kick your ass.

Looking forward to your mod edits. :D

Assertn
Wed, 03-22-2006, 12:57 PM
Note: Kagari is NOT on the list. :eek:

Turkish-S
Wed, 03-22-2006, 01:08 PM
kagari?? who is that.?

EDIT: and where is DO.??

masamuneehs
Wed, 03-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Technically Bud is the newest to get his modship, but he's obviously been around here alot longer than I have.

...we need some initiation kind of trials for the newb mods to undertake before they are accepted...

Deblas
Wed, 03-22-2006, 01:10 PM
kagari?? who is that.?

He was a moderator who rarely moderated.:rolleyes:

Terracosmo
Wed, 03-22-2006, 01:11 PM
Make that "rarely posted" too.

And hell, "rarely visited" as well.

Turkish-S
Wed, 03-22-2006, 01:16 PM
lol Yea now i remember he's the one who had a green sig.. and someone made a custom title for him, in mut's thread: moderator?

DB_Hunter
Wed, 03-22-2006, 01:17 PM
OK so now we are all out in the open can you guys tell me who it was that said i was being banned for one day and ended up banning me for like 5 days?

KitKat
Wed, 03-22-2006, 01:28 PM
We are not going to have any discussion of "Who banned me" or "Who warned so-and-so". It really doesn't matter, and getting into this line of discussion is counter-productive. If you wish to make these kind of speculations about the past, please do it on irc.

DB, I'm sorry if you ended up being banned for 5 days, at whatever time that happened. Someone probably just typed in the temp ban day wrong. I don't think it was malicious.

Arcn3ss
Wed, 03-22-2006, 01:37 PM
We are not going to have any discussion of "Who banned me" or "Who warned so-and-so". It really doesn't matter, and getting into this line of discussion is counter-productive. If you wish to make these kind of speculations about the past, please do it on irc.

DB, I'm sorry if you ended up being banned for 5 days, at whatever time that happened. Someone probably just typed in the temp ban day wrong. I don't think it was malicious.

She's lying. It was completely malicious, and done by her. She may seem nice but i know the real monster. Isnt that right Kitkat, or should i say Johan Liebert?

Jadugar
Wed, 03-22-2006, 01:39 PM
^^^^^^^^^^
Let me change the thread's title to :

MODS : Repent your sins here :p

Ero-Fan
Wed, 03-22-2006, 01:45 PM
^^^^^^^^^^
Let me change the thread's title to :

MODS : Repent your sins here :p

Where's KRB when you need him?
Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

Edit: @Assassin- Yeah, I am a mean guy, huh?

DB_Hunter
Wed, 03-22-2006, 01:50 PM
KitKat as much as your logic may make sense I throw my vote behind Jadugar's suggestion.

Assassin
Wed, 03-22-2006, 01:52 PM
Oh, thats mean Ero-Fan :rolleyes:

kagari?? who is that.?

EDIT: and where is DO.??

DO was never a mod (alteast not that im aware of). He is just the netwrok admin on IRC

Jadugar
Wed, 03-22-2006, 01:57 PM
Where's KRB when you need him?
Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

He is still around.

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/3803/krb26dz.jpg

Deadfire
Wed, 03-22-2006, 02:07 PM
I think it's fair to know who our MODs are although of course this leaves them open to the members comments. A member's comments come in many forms and of course showing the MODs does leave them open to these comments Good and Bad. Of course if they can't take the heat, they shouldn't be a MOD is as simple as that sounds.Does this mean we message them for every little thing?, No, go about your tasks. having the Staff micro-manage everything and getting involved with everything, just leads everyone to dislike the Mods. No matter how great the idea of the forum is, people will not want to stick around if they dislike the staff.

Anyways Congrats to those who are new for MODship.

KitKat
Wed, 03-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Isnt that right Kitkat, or should i say Johan Liebert?

The monster only exists in your mind, Dr. Tenma. There is no Johan!

complich8
Wed, 03-22-2006, 03:03 PM
I think it's fair to know who our MODs are although of course this leaves them open to the members comments....
Of course if they can't take the heat, they shouldn't be a MOD
Precisely.

Does this mean we message them for every little thing?, No, go about your tasks. having the Staff micro-manage everything and getting involved with everything, just leads everyone to dislike the Mods.
Right on. The big point I'd like to make is that just because they're mods doesn't mean they're not forum participants too. In fact, being a mod only means that we trust them to keep an eye on the place and enforce the rules as necessary. It doesn't preclude them from being regular users as well, or voicing their own opinions.

My biggest concern, unmasking them like this, is that they might end up being stuck in a position where suddenly their normal voices seem louder. Several of our mods are also our most active posters, and I'd like it if they can keep being themselves.

The ninja-mod system was nice in that it made the mods seem like regular users, so they could participate without horribly disrupting the flow of conversations, without commanding any more or less respect than anyone else around. If those people can conserve that duality -- being regular users while not hiding the fact that they're mods, then I'll be very happy with things.

Of course, walking around with a big bold italicized name and the "Moderator" title doesn't really reinforce that "normal people" motif .... but whatever :p

IFHTT
Wed, 03-22-2006, 03:06 PM
^ I like the new color scheme for their names. I can stand the italic red and black, at least it matches the forum colors.

Kraco
Wed, 03-22-2006, 03:50 PM
The ninja-mod system was nice in that it made the mods seem like regular users, so they could participate without horribly disrupting the flow of conversations, without commanding any more or less respect than anyone else around. If those people can conserve that duality -- being regular users while not hiding the fact that they're mods, then I'll be very happy with things.

That's hardly the issue. This is not military but an anime forum. The difficulty here is quite reverse: Moderators should be good boys and girls and follow the rules, that is, represent to the letter obedience to the rules of the forums, and also the spirit of the forums (I'm not entirely sure what that might be here), and be unbiased in quarrels (until the thread gets locked, but until then everybody always wants to participate if only to joke around).

So, this change doesn't affect other people at all, unless you have some troublemaker who would anyway deserve to get banned for insulting others - mods or regular fellows. So, the problem is that mods can't be free if they are visible.

This is essentially why I always say being a mod sucks, and is vastly overrated. I don't view myself as a toublemaker, but I rather reserve the right to be one than not.

Board of Command
Wed, 03-22-2006, 03:55 PM
Gee I guess I'll just have to deliver a swift kick in the nuts before that happens. It'd be wise to start thinking about upgrading that health insurance.

But I don't have the pic of my mustache. kthanxbye! :p
Aww, and I thought the long delay for your response was due to your uploading an ultra-high resolution of that picture :mad:

This is essentially why I always say being a mod sucks, and is vastly overrated. I don't view myself as a toublemaker, but I rather reserve the right to be one than not.
Don't worry every forum needs a guy or two like that.

Carnage
Wed, 03-22-2006, 04:56 PM
In all my time here in Gotwoot I never would have guessed some of the people on that list to be a mod.......

Assertn
Wed, 03-22-2006, 05:16 PM
In all my time here in Gotwoot I never would have guessed some of the people on that list to be a mod.......

What can I say? I'm a sneaky bastard :cool:

Deblas
Wed, 03-22-2006, 05:17 PM
What can I say? I'm a sneaky bastard :cool:

You were the most obvious one of all.:rolleyes:

Knives122
Wed, 03-22-2006, 05:27 PM
no kidding, and now from what I'm seeing you now have a red name...hmmmmm -_-

edit displaying my stupidity: nm, my mouse was over your name......

AtHRunOwNZaLL
Thu, 03-23-2006, 01:27 AM
I have always suspected PSJ to be a mod, but i guess my suspicions were wrong.

Assassin
Thu, 03-23-2006, 02:44 AM
Theres only enough room for one swede in the mod lounge, and her highness Terracosmo is currently occupying that spot.

complich8
Thu, 03-23-2006, 03:11 AM
That's hardly the issue. This is not military but an anime forum. The difficulty here is quite reverse: Moderators should be good boys and girls and follow the rules, that is, represent to the letter obedience to the rules of the forums, and also the spirit of the forums (I'm not entirely sure what that might be here), and be unbiased in quarrels (until the thread gets locked, but until then everybody always wants to participate if only to joke around).

So, this change doesn't affect other people at all, unless you have some troublemaker who would anyway deserve to get banned for insulting others - mods or regular fellows. So, the problem is that mods can't be free if they are visible.

Basically, what you're saying is only one piece of the puzzle.

Participating in a discussion as a moderator has several effects. The first is what I'll call the "biggest ship" effect, and is what I was addressing before. That is, without even trying, just by passing through moderators can make big waves, totally disrupting discussions by making a single post. This is usually a bad thing from everyone's perspective. Ninja-mod solved this problem entirely ... since nobody knew who had power, nobody acted like anyone did.

The second is what I'd call the "chained god" effect. That is, you've got all this power, but you're constrained such that you can only behave in a certain way, precisely because you've got that power. This is the sort of thing you're talking about, and ninja-mod helped with this a bit too, because the mods could be regular users, so could behave like assholes if they wanted to -- as long as they didn't do so while wearing their moderator masks.

The thing is, neither of these effects is necessarily inevitable. I'm hoping that the "biggest ship" effect doesn't show up at all, simply because we've had a pretty substantial volume of discussion involving those moderators -- they're pretty much a cross-section of the most active posters on the board.

"chained god" is a bit tougher. Basically, if we take a strict interpretation of moderator as essentially forumgoing saint, then yeah, they'll suffer from that. But that's an imposition of that particular interpretation of the moderator role. If the mods can maintain a healthy separation between "posting" mode and "moderating" mode (which the ninja-mod system somewhat enforced), then they're free to behave as normal users given normal discussions.

Basically, my personal interpretation of the moderator role is that mods are sort of like house-sitters. They feed the cat (guide discussions), they water the plants (warn/ban idiots, edit out spoilers), and in exchange they get some privileges ... like, dibs on whatever's in the fridge (higher pm quota), access to the nice tv (no gallery quota), etc. Sure, the privileges afforded may not make up for the inconvenience of the responsibilities, but at the same time, they're not such onerous things that you wouldn't do them for a friend (or for the sake of a place you like spending your time).

Kraco
Thu, 03-23-2006, 03:54 AM
You are right. I was actually dismissing the biggest ship for two reasons: The one you mentioned: The mods are, even now that they are revealed, people who have all the time participated in perfectly normal discussion. For older members here it's easier to continue behaving as if nothing changed than suddenly start to be cautious when those newly exposed mods are around. And secondly because of the long traditions and relationships the mods hardly suddenly change their attitudes towards those same older members simply because they aren't ninja mods anymore.

Yeah, mods are people as well. Nobody comes here for any other reason than have fun. And thus it would foolish to expect the mods came here to do boring work. Sometimes fun is increased by stretching the rules a little bit, as rules must be strict for serious things mainly, not for things everybody could interpret as jokes. However, mods are the ones who define the limits of the rules. They are the ones that set the precedents. If mods set different standards for themselves, except for technical things, then the system starts to rot from inside.

The only exception to everything is the guy who pays the bills. He can do anything without responsibility. We are all here as his guests. And he would be paying the bills even after everybody fled the sinking ship.

Assassin
Thu, 03-23-2006, 12:45 PM
Participating in a discussion as a moderator has several effects. The first is what I'll call the "biggest ship" effect, and is what I was addressing before.

The second is what I'd call the "chained god" effect.

comp, your metaphors never cease to amuse me :p

However, mods are the ones who define the limits of the rules. They are the ones that set the precedents. If mods set different standards for themselves, except for technical things, then the system starts to rot from inside.

Actually Ciber and Wilik define the limits to the rules, and those rules apply to all members, including the mods. We dont and shouldn't get special treatment just cuz were the enforcers.

Kraco
Thu, 03-23-2006, 02:05 PM
Aye. But theoretical rules and rules in practice are two different things to an extent. And of course they aren't really all fixed, either. Theoretical rules can be whatever, what matters how they are enforced, and that's where the mods will define them.

ChaosK
Thu, 03-23-2006, 07:09 PM
Yeah, I'm with Knives here. Most of these guys I saw coming.

I haven't trusted you since I found out you really don't look like Iceman. Sorry Raven, but thats how it is. You must re-earn my trust. :P

for anyone who watched team america: World police you must imagine the weird thought that just raced through my mind.

and also, the only surprising one on the list was bud...i knew assumed everyone else...(well okay one of the very HONEST moderators told me...and someone in the irc channel was blurting it out.)

to honest moderator: i told you it was impossible to be secretive ninja while being extremely honest! HA!

masumeehs wasnt there a thread in the old forum announcing his new mod-ship? or was i hung over that day... and i forgot, the other one that wasn't suprising, i was just completely clueless about was complich's other comp account.

oh and i'm surprised kitkat was a surprising one. She was the first one i found out about...but thats just me. i can solve hard puzzles, but miss the easy ones.

KitKat
Thu, 03-23-2006, 08:39 PM
Excerpts from my AIM logs last year (edited a bit for the sake of brevity, and keeping CK's sn confidential):

[19:39] CK: hey, i'm surprised you didnt ban me
[19:54] engphysgirl: what? who is this?
[20:06] CK: Chaoskiddo
[20:07] CK: you kno ******************* and your also a mod
[20:07] CK: so i'm surprised, thas all
[20:07] engphysgirl: lol, how do you know I'm a mod?
*CK goes afk, comes back later*
[22:26] CK: oh and during yesterday's IRC chat Y spelled out all ninja mods:
[22:26] CK: you, assern, NM, terra (though i think he was kicked or something) and 1 more person

Excerpt from this year:
[23:31] CK: hmm, your still a moderator on gotwoot right?
[23:32] engphysgirl: yeah, stealth ninja mod!
[23:32] CK: ...your not very stealthy or ninja-y by telling me that
[23:33] engphysgirl: I'm stealth and ninja, I'm also painfully honest =P

I think I did a pretty good job of being secretive....the only reason people knew was cause of information leaks on irc, and once someone on irc knows something, the whole channel knows.

Jadugar
Thu, 03-23-2006, 08:39 PM
oh and i'm surprised kitkat was a surprising one. She was the first one i found out about...but thats just me. i can solve hard puzzles, but miss the easy ones.

That was a big shock to me. I said a few harsh words to her in a thread but she was too nice. I guess its true what masamuneehs said about her that she certainly is one of the good cops

ChaosK
Thu, 03-23-2006, 10:21 PM
lol, at that time, the "other one" i was thinking of was assasin. then later on i forget what clued me in on raven. so...bud was the only shock here.

Board of Command
Thu, 03-23-2006, 10:37 PM
I always thought Bud was a mod. The only one that surprised me was masamuneehs because he's the newest member on that list by far.

Jadugar
Thu, 03-23-2006, 10:52 PM
Come on! Masamuneehs was most obvious of them all. He used to act as a mod even when he wasn’t one.

That VA article on the front page was the biggest clue

Board of Command
Thu, 03-23-2006, 11:07 PM
Yeah, but that was before I read those updates on the website. I almost never visit the website and when I did one day, I saw his posting. That was the surprise.

Assassin
Fri, 03-24-2006, 12:28 AM
Masa's post on the front page shouldn't have been that big of a deal. As far as i know it wasn't cuz he was a mod. Ciber/Wilik wanted somre writers for stuff like that, but from what i can recall from irc, ciber said that most ppl that applied were pretty horrible.

oh and,

lol, at that time, the "other one" i was thinking of was assasin. then later on i forget what clued me in on raven. so...bud was the only shock here.

at that time you probably would've been wrong. I wasn't a mod when kitkat gained modship, it came later on.

Raven
Fri, 03-24-2006, 12:52 AM
Yep, Assassin's a complete and utter n00b. Oh, at being a mod too.

Munsu
Fri, 03-24-2006, 04:24 AM
I think I did a pretty good job of being secretive....the only reason people knew was cause of information leaks on irc, and once someone on irc knows something, the whole channel knows.

You didn't know I was a mod though.

Kraco
Fri, 03-24-2006, 05:43 AM
Nobody dared reveal you, because true to your title you would have kept torturing people to death until you found the leak...

masamuneehs
Fri, 03-24-2006, 05:56 AM
i was made a mod after Krb got the boot. same time as i got the OK to post on the frontpage.

btw, next frontpage feature will be out sometime after tuesday.

i also liked the ninja mod system. i hope people dont really give two shits about me being a mod or not. its still the same old me.

Raven
Fri, 03-24-2006, 08:17 AM
Yeah, that's the downside. I hope people won't act differently around us now that they know who we are.

Deadfire
Fri, 03-24-2006, 12:09 PM
Yeah, that's the downside. I hope people won't act differently around us now that they know who we are.

I never did even when I knew most of your positions, a example of this is how I've bashed Assassin, even though i knew it could bite me in the ass. People will have to learn that you guys will not use your powers for no reason at all, and that you don't power-trip. I know of alot of other message boards that the mods will do what ever they please, I think this is where that fear of talking, dicussing and battling a Mod comes from. Of the many times I've seen action done by the Mods here I've always thought it was just (I will go on recond and say that the KRB fuckup is excepted from this, I'm very glad he was the worse rep on GW) and was for the good of the topic and not themselves. I've even seen Mods get edited by other Mods.

This was discussed somewhere else, but has anyone else seen that the quality of posts gone up recently?

Kraco
Fri, 03-24-2006, 12:25 PM
People will have to learn that you guys will not use your powers for no reason at all, and that you don't power-trip.

Bah. Sometime last year I got one post of mine edited (that is, the contents removed), and I still don't know today for what reason. That was plain abuse of power. A sudden whim of a capricious mod. Some other posts in a chain got also their contents removed, and some of them might or might not have had something to warrant it. I think it was just the old army method of punishing the whole group when a lone individual does something wrong (possibly).

I swear I will never forget that wrongdoing as long as I live (or watch anime, which might be the same thing).

Damn you Deadfire for reminding me of this. I wouldn't have remembered it at all otherwise.

Assertn
Fri, 03-24-2006, 12:34 PM
Bah. Sometime last year I got one post of mine edited (that is, the contents removed), and I still don't know today for what reason. That was plain abuse of power. A sudden whim of a capricious mod. Some other posts in a chain got also their contents removed, and some of them might or might not have had something to warrant it. I think it was just the old army method of punishing the whole group when a lone individual does something wrong (possibly).

I swear I will never forget that wrongdoing as long as I live (or watch anime, which might be the same thing).

Damn you Deadfire for reminding me of this. I wouldn't have remembered it at all otherwise.
Where did this take place?

Munsu
Fri, 03-24-2006, 12:34 PM
There was probably flamming or spoiling involved... No post that I have seen has gotten unnecessarily edited.

Assertn
Fri, 03-24-2006, 12:38 PM
I bet it was one of those bleach discussions......or a reference to The Gaiden

KitKat
Fri, 03-24-2006, 12:42 PM
You didn't know I was a mod though.
Bud-sensei, teach me to be a great ninja like you!

Actually, if I remember correctly, I was the first member of the Budweineken Worshippers group, and you promised me an autograph!

Knives122
Fri, 03-24-2006, 12:46 PM
being a ninja isn't that hard. just don't say anything and no one will notice you....

Munsu
Fri, 03-24-2006, 01:02 PM
Just as an aside so that you guys know my policies (I know that not all mods agree with me)... If I see a post way off-topic, I'll delete it. If I see a horribly written post, I'll delete it. I can discern when one person just is not good in English, and when there's simply a poor attempt at writing a coherent post. Post with excessive instant messaging lingo will be deleted (substituting numbers for words, l33t language, shitty abbreviations, etc.).

Here's a recent post I deleted:

just asked..
if there's a link, y it isnt on the torrent page?

n i think link 1 is a broken link, link 2 doesnt have 290 n i cant dl from link 3, sth abt dl excess.. can anyone help me? a bit new at this..

For thread titles, I'm trying to keep at least the first letter Capitalized, so that the forums looks nice, so I'll be editing those. If I see that the thread title misrepresents the thread I'll edit it, for example putting "RAW" in new episode/chapter discussions in Naruto and Bleach. Excesive use of upper-case in the thread title will be edited. Poor English in the thread title will be edited.

That's all.

Assassin
Fri, 03-24-2006, 01:28 PM
I think you should edit a post and warn the person to not repeat the same thing again, when it comes to an uncoherent post. If you delete it write away, the person might not even know why it happened (unless you're PMing each person). If it continues despite the edits, then go ahead and delete.

Just my 2 cents.

Munsu
Fri, 03-24-2006, 01:33 PM
When you delete a post, it lets the mod write a comment on why it was deleted... Isn't soft deleting viewable to everyone? I know in some forums using this software all members can see the comments on why the post was deleted, if that's not the case let me know.

Assassin
Fri, 03-24-2006, 01:39 PM
Hmm, the impression i got from comp the other day was that soft deleting allowed mods/admins to see the posts, but they wouldn't be visible to normal users.

lets test this out..im going to make a test post under this and delete it. All regular users, let me know if you can see it or not

Ero-Fan
Fri, 03-24-2006, 01:42 PM
Maybe instead of deleting an incoherent post, you mods can warn the person and create a thread to put those horrible posts in. A "These are examples of horrible posts" thread, or something. It would give people examples of what not to do when posting.
Edit: I just thought of why this wouldn't work. If people can't read the rules, then I doubt they are going to read anything else either. Damn, I was too quick to hit the post reply button.

Munsu
Fri, 03-24-2006, 01:49 PM
Hmm, the impression i got from comp the other day was that soft deleting allowed mods/admins to see the posts, but they wouldn't be visible to normal users.

lets test this out..im going to make a test post under this and delete it. All regular users, let me know if you can see it or not

Yeah I just checked...

I'll restore the posts, but we should let members view soft deletes... They serve as an example, I guess I'll go restore that post I deleted.

Kraco
Fri, 03-24-2006, 02:42 PM
Where did this take place?

Heh. Don't sacrifice another thought to that. While that was a true story, I made that post as a pure joke (in case somebody missed the not so hidden innuendo).

ChaosK
Fri, 03-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Masa's post on the front page shouldn't have been that big of a deal. As far as i know it wasn't cuz he was a mod. Ciber/Wilik wanted somre writers for stuff like that, but from what i can recall from irc, ciber said that most ppl that applied were pretty horrible.

oh and,

at that time you probably would've been wrong. I wasn't a mod when kitkat gained modship, it came later on.

no, i'm pretty sure you were already a mod (maybe new) because it acctually wasn't that long ago...last year was only 3 months ago, i have been on this forum for about 1 year.

and i started using irc around the summer. i'm sure you were already a mod by then.

Board of Command
Fri, 03-24-2006, 03:55 PM
I think Assassin would know if he was or not... unless he's on crack.

Jadugar
Fri, 03-24-2006, 05:12 PM
I think Assassin would know if he was or not... unless he's on crack.

Dont you remember his picture from the previous forum on Fusetalk where he is all covered in smoke. ;)

BTW who changed the thread's smilie from ;) to :o

This :) would have been better.

You guys have too much power.

I WANT IT.

Assassin
Fri, 03-24-2006, 05:43 PM
hmm, thats odd. I can change it in your original post, but not in the thread title. Or maybe i just dont know the correct option.

There needs to be a moderator guide or something. I still dont know the full extent of my powers.

Edit:

nvm, i found it.

I HAVE THE POWER! [/He-man]

Knives122
Fri, 03-24-2006, 05:46 PM
^there's always that thing you can do to find out, oh what's it called again? Oh yeah experiment.

Carnage
Fri, 03-24-2006, 05:47 PM
You guys have too much power.

I WANT IT.

DONT FORGET ME!!!

I'm quite suprised that some of those cops have been to the babes threads and have not warned much seeing as how we often step over the bounds:D

Munsu
Fri, 03-24-2006, 08:11 PM
This was discussed somewhere else, but has anyone else seen that the quality of posts gone up recently?

I would like to think that I'm the reason behind this, as I'm sure my fellow mods will agree with this fact.

Board of Command
Fri, 03-24-2006, 08:13 PM
There needs to be a moderator guide or something. I still dont know the ful extent of my powers.

I don't know man, maybe this IS the extent of your powers. Ciber and Wilik are ripping you off.

ChaosK
Fri, 03-24-2006, 10:36 PM
i'm not sure if GW has one but on the other vB forums i've been to theres a test area for moderators to try out their powers...

Augury
Sat, 03-25-2006, 12:40 AM
im going to make a test post under this and delete it. All regular users, let me know if you can see it or not

If you're still testing this, there's nothing visible.

Assertn
Sat, 03-25-2006, 12:59 AM
hmm, thats odd. I can change it in your original post, but not in the thread title. Or maybe i just dont know the correct option.

There needs to be a moderator guide or something. I still dont know the full extent of my powers.

Edit:

nvm, i found it.

I HAVE THE POWER! [/He-man]

you DARE to out-muscle your sempai??!

masamuneehs
Sat, 03-25-2006, 12:02 PM
i have power too... but i seem to have stopped getting reps since it was made public that i am in fact Teh Modetator!

...oh well.

to those who have power: don´t it feel divine?
to those who don´t: Haha! (like done on Simpsons)

NM
Sat, 03-25-2006, 12:17 PM
to those who have power: don´t it feel divine?
to those who don´t: Haha! (like done on Simpsons)

Oh yes, it does. :cool: And I must say I agree with Deadfire that the quality in everyones posting has really gone up. I haven't seen much that needs to modded other than an occasional thread. GW gets even more awesome thanks to us (and our bosses of course).

Jadugar
Sat, 03-25-2006, 01:17 PM
Oh yes, it does. :cool: And I must say I agree with Deadfire that the quality in everyones posting has really gone up. I haven't seen much that needs to modded other than an occasional thread. GW gets even more awesome thanks to us (and our bosses of course).

Maybe we are all used to that shit and think its not there anymore.

XanBcoo
Sat, 03-25-2006, 03:18 PM
i have power too... but i seem to have stopped getting reps since it was made public that i am in fact Teh Modetator!
Perhaps people are afraid to give negative reps to a moderator for fear of divine retribution, and afraid to give positive reps because they don't want to become brown-nosers. I'm certainly trying to ignore the fact that you moderators have that position when I reply to your posts, but in the back of my head I sometimes think "Am I just kissing up?" If I remember correctly, that was another reason for the Ninja-mod system. To prevent people becoming buddy-buddy with the people in power (not that I'm accusing any of the mods of having any biases whatsoever to the regular users - but to new, less frequent users it might seem that way).

Assassin
Sat, 03-25-2006, 06:00 PM
for any of you to kiss up to me, you'd have to send me cash, in excess of $50 CAN.

woofcat
Sat, 03-25-2006, 06:39 PM
I have yet to rep a mod, since they can see who reps them.

Kraco
Sat, 03-25-2006, 06:44 PM
It was announced some time ago they can't anymore.

Actually maybe half of the rep I have dealt out has gone to mods. Against odds plenty of good posters have ended up in their ranks, so it couldn't be helped. Har har.

Board of Command
Sat, 03-25-2006, 11:06 PM
for any of you to kiss up to me, you'd have to send me cash, in excess of $50 CAN.
An envelope of white powder sound good? I'm sure it's worth more than $50.

Raven
Sat, 03-25-2006, 11:40 PM
Yes, once and for all:

Mods CANNOT see who reps them. So go for it, rep all you want.

Assassin
Sun, 03-26-2006, 12:51 AM

zomfg!!!11 anthraxxx

Jadugar
Mon, 03-27-2006, 06:02 PM

Be careful Assassin, it might be anthrax...............oh I am too late.

It was announced some time ago they can't anymore.

If you believe that then you will believe anything.

For the love of god stop changing the icon of this thread. I am asking nicely.

Kraco
Mon, 03-27-2006, 06:33 PM
If you believe that then you will believe anything.

Philosophically speaking it doesn't matter. It has been announced they don't see, and so they can't act against that, no matter if it's true or not. If even one does retaliate, nobody will believe it ever again. And if they really can't... well, then they can't.

And personally I don't even care, because I believe the currents admins and mods will accept any proper rep hits with dignity.

Munsu
Mon, 03-27-2006, 06:38 PM
I don't have any photoshop skills, so this screen shoot should be trusted:

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/9803/controlpanel4mh.th.jpg (http://img89.imageshack.us/my.php?image=controlpanel4mh.jpg)

Before this, we used to have an extra column before the comments with the username.

Jadugar
Mon, 03-27-2006, 06:42 PM
Philosophically speaking it doesn't matter. It has been announced they don't see, and so they can't act against that, no matter if it's true or not. If even one does retaliate, nobody will believe it ever again. And if they really can't... well, then they can't.

And personally I don't even care, because I believe the currents admins and mods will accept any proper rep hits with dignity.

Its about time you opened your eyes.

http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?p=287644#post287644

Munsu
Mon, 03-27-2006, 06:47 PM
And what does that post of yours proove about us being able to see who reps us? Absolutely nothing.

Jadugar
Mon, 03-27-2006, 06:52 PM
And what does that post of yours proove about us being able to see who reps us? Absolutely nothing.

I am talking about the post era. I am questioning someone's dignity. I am talking about fairness.

Sure you cant see it now. I gave a neg rep to a moderator who could see me at the time and ever since he has been holding that grudge against me. You don’t get hit by someone four times?

Munsu
Mon, 03-27-2006, 07:03 PM
Well I'm sure that the person who neg rep'ed you for that post had no grudge over being neg rep'ed by you. How do I know? Because it was I who did it.

xDarkMaster
Mon, 03-27-2006, 07:06 PM
And the drama continues....

Seriously, this whole rep thing is causing a lot of problems. :(

masamuneehs
Mon, 03-27-2006, 07:07 PM
... either i'm an idiot and I there really is some kind of way mods can see who repped them, or the person who neg repped Jad was just bashing him for saying 'I WANT IT'...

cut it out you two babies. take this shit to PMs or something...

its stupid to hold a grudge against a particular user from whenever you could tell who gave what Rep to who. Fuck, even getting worked up about Reps is pretty childish. Mods/Admins should try to distribute rep fairly, but at the same time you can't say that their opinion should have no part in it.

"GotWoot Reputation is serious business."

Jadugar
Mon, 03-27-2006, 07:21 PM
@ Bud : Thanx

@ masamuneehs : Dont question my torturing methods. ;)

KitKat
Tue, 03-28-2006, 12:04 AM
Ok, so, moving on to a more constructive topic.

I just wanted to say that it is indeed confirmed that the 'report' function works. You can be assured that if you click that button, the moderators will be alerted about the post in question. Yay for forum features that work! Kudos to the two of you that reported the spammer today. Seeing as all mods are alerted when a post is reported, I thought I'd give some general guidelines for what to do in the case of blatant rule violations that you discover.

1) Are you a person who idles in the irc channel? Paste the link to the message into irc and type the names of any mods idling in the channel. Most of us have our irc set to recognize our nicknames, so if we're at our computer we'll see that we have a message in irc and come check it out.

2) Are there any mods currently online? Send a quick PM to one or two of them, linking them to the thread.

3) Neither 1) or 2) applies? Then click the 'Report' button and a message will be sent to all moderators regarding the post in question, and you can be assured that it will be taken care of quickly.

Please note that any abuse of this system will not be tolerated. If you just go around clicking 'Report' for random posts, you can expect a vacation. As long as we can see you had a plausible reason for reporting a post, you should be fine. Please do try the other two options first though.

Assertn
Tue, 03-28-2006, 01:58 AM
Hmm.....I never recieved a notification......

kAi
Tue, 03-28-2006, 02:36 AM
Are you able to see the moderator's lounge?
heh

complich8
Tue, 03-28-2006, 06:38 AM
Just to cut off any more bitching about the rep system here...

If you complain about rep hits in public, you will no longer be allowed to participate in the rep system at all.

If you believe that someone is conspiring against you, holding a grudge against you, or generally being unfair and abusive to you, send me a private message about it.

(I guess the notable exception to that would be "the bitching thread"... you can bitch about whatever you want in there, I don't care :p)

Assertn
Tue, 03-28-2006, 05:37 PM
Are you able to see the moderator's lounge?
heh

Yes...I can....
heh

Phoenix20578
Sun, 04-23-2006, 09:28 PM
Has anyone noticed that Deadfire is a Mod now also, ;)

Assassin
Sun, 04-23-2006, 09:45 PM
The son of a bitch snuck in while we weren't looking!

Away with you foul demon! Have at thee!

/me throws a n00b at Deadfire's head.

dragonrage
Sun, 04-23-2006, 09:51 PM
heemmm another canadian. i wonder if we should be worried, A.

Knives122
Sun, 04-23-2006, 09:53 PM
I thought it was Ehhhhhhhhhhhh? but I guess that would generalize more around The Fonz (whom I hate)

Deadfire
Sun, 04-23-2006, 10:06 PM
Ha.. I don't know what you guys are talking about there is nothing out of the norm here. Move along now there is nothing to see here

@Knives122: It's Eh? With one "h" and I do not say nor type it often,

@Assassin: I will see your noob and raise you a noob with a pointy hat

Board of Command
Sun, 04-23-2006, 11:05 PM
Whoa Deadfire you're a sneaky one. Complich, you gotta put a better lock on that mod box. I suggest 1 megabit.

complich8
Sun, 04-23-2006, 11:24 PM
I'm still not acknowledging it until I see the silly hat I detailed on IRC.

Must be a fedora, must include at least 3 feet of moderately springy wire, and must have a rubber or plastic frog on the end, hanging at roughly face-level, free enough to bounce up and down when walking.

Until it happens, he'll forever be a "provisional" mod in my eyes. *glare*

Kraco
Mon, 04-24-2006, 03:02 AM
Ho... Well, it's not a bad choice, as far as I can judge.

Now you just have to keep your eyes even more open, Deadfire. And it could be best for the forum if you didn't use the army "deadfire" method in moderation...

Deadfire
Mon, 04-24-2006, 07:22 AM
I'm still not acknowledging it until I see the silly hat I detailed on IRC.

Must be a fedora, must include at least 3 feet of moderately springy wire, and must have a rubber or plastic frog on the end, hanging at roughly face-level, free enough to bounce up and down when walking.

Until it happens, he'll forever be a "provisional" mod in my eyes. *glare*

:(

I don't want to kill my image! Wait I don't have much of one. Comp you will get your silly hat even if it's the last thing I do.

@Kraco: Thanks for you approval, and yes I will have to retrain my "train of thought"