PDA

View Full Version : Thread searching ideas!

Wilik
Mon, 03-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Ok after we removed some of the forums (i.e. Tv, games, so forth) I have an idea to make searching alittle easier. While these ideas are not required they may help in looking for posts so here goes my ideas...

For movies try making your thread title like so:
Movie: <Movie Name>

Example:
Movie: Grandmas Boy

For Tv shows try making your thread title like so: (this can be changed)
Tv: <Show title> [<Air Date>]
- or -
Tv: <Show title>

For a single episode discussion example:
Tv: The Shield [3-21-2006]
- or -
For an entire series discuession example:
Tv: The Shield

For Games try making your thread title like so:
Game: <Game Name>

Example:
Game: Grand Theft Auto - San Andreas

This should hopefully help in the searching for threads, plus it'll make some things clearer for people that are not to sure what a thread may be about.

I would like to know what other people think of these ideas so please reply to this thread and let me know.

IFHTT
Mon, 03-20-2006, 02:47 PM
That sounds like a great idea. That way if you want to search like say for instance tv shows only you can just punch in "Tv:" Great thinking

woofcat
Mon, 03-20-2006, 03:59 PM
I also agree with this, nice idea Wilk.

Munsu
Mon, 03-20-2006, 03:59 PM
I don't like the idea of having different threads for a single episode of a show, and it should really be avoided...

But the standards presented seem good.

Wilik
Mon, 03-20-2006, 04:01 PM
I don't like the idea of having different threads for a single episode of a show, and it should really be avoided...

Really this should only apply to really popular shows that get ~20-30 posts per episode. This is evident in the '24' thread. However, my thread for 'The Shield' should probably have been a 'entire series' type thread vs. a single episode thread.

Also keep in mind, these are just ideas, you are free to use them as you see fit, you can also expand on them as well.

complich8
Mon, 03-20-2006, 04:16 PM

But the standards presented seem good.

Something to realize, of course, is that vbulletin rocks for this. If a series isn't getting a whole lot of discussion and people are making per-episode threads, we can pretty easily merge them into a single series-thread. Similarly, if a series-thread is getting particularly heavy traffic, we can split it into per-episode discussion threads.

I'd suggest that every show that someone starts a thread on should start as a series-thread discussion, and be split if it seems to need it.

Munsu
Mon, 03-20-2006, 04:23 PM
Yeah that's very true... It's time for mods to learn all the tricks in the book...

The merging threads and posts are great.

Edit:

Other tags that could be used:

Music:

News:

masamuneehs
Mon, 03-20-2006, 05:09 PM
This is a great idea, and I'd love to see it implemented.

But I second the notion that individual episodes for a TV show getting their own topic is too much. I mean, if you ever started doing that again you'd really need to bring back the Movies/TV thread.

Music and News (the last one I'll surely be employing alot) tags are a great idea too

Terracosmo
Mon, 03-20-2006, 05:49 PM
I've renamed some topics to fit these new ideas.

RedX1z
Sat, 03-25-2006, 12:53 AM
i pretty much have to say it made everything a lot easier.

Munsu
Mon, 03-27-2006, 12:34 PM
TV: doesn't work when I search for it.

masamuneehs
Mon, 03-27-2006, 03:49 PM
^^ Bud: I'm pretty sure that's because it's too short of a string for VBulletin to single out and find. I mentioned this before, but I really don't see a way around it (Television) is way too long to include in every subject...

i still think "TV:" labels help when you're just browsing the forum tho.

Munsu
Mon, 03-27-2006, 03:55 PM
I'm pretty sure Wilik adjusted what is considered short. If you search for TV, it doesn't give results because it's apparently too comon. If you search for TV: it apparently doesn't like the ' : ' So I think that's part of the problem.

For example, if I also search for "TV: Prison" I don't get any results when TV: Prison Break should be a result.

Wilik
Mon, 03-27-2006, 04:32 PM
you have to go to advanced and search thread titles...

GhostKaGe
Mon, 05-01-2006, 07:44 AM
Its a great idea makes searching a lot easier

I would also like to suggest the use of the tags
NooB:
Idiot:
Pointless Crap:
and
Thread Number 15000 On This Subject:

just so we can avoid them :p