PDA

View Full Version : Movie: Nightwatch [Nochnoi Dozor]

Wilik
Sat, 03-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Anyone have a chance to check out this awesome movie?

IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0403358/
Preview: http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_searchlight/night_watch/

Word of warning, its in russian so you have to read the subtitles. Subtitles aside, its one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. The description is very sketchy so heres a little bit of what its about, vampires and guardians and thier struggle for earth. (Can you say hellsing? *hint hint*, not quite hellsing but the basic idea is there and you'll see it.)

KitKat
Sat, 03-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Nice! I love opportunities to practice my Russian and expand my limited vocabulary. I know that learning to speak eloquently about vampires will come in very useful whenever I get around to visiting Russia :p

But yeah, cool find Wilik. Did you download this or rent it?

Wilik
Sat, 03-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Saw it at the theature last night! :), Its only playing in select places right now.

XanBcoo
Sat, 03-18-2006, 02:08 PM
I can't beleive I haven't seen this movie yet. I have a friend who is a complete Russian fanatic and bought the dvd about a year ago from a Russian store. I'd like to see it in theatres though, because all I've heard about this movie is that it's great.

I just wanna see the guy who uses his spinal cord as a sword (kinda like Kimimaro).

darkshadow
Sat, 03-18-2006, 02:58 PM
saw it like a few months ago, but i saw new police story before that one, so i was hungry and a bit tired in nightwatch, so i thought it was ok

Kraco
Sat, 03-18-2006, 03:46 PM
Hmm... Maybe I should check the movie out. I saw the trailer ages ago, and it did look quite interesting. I haven't seen that many Russian movies, but as far as I know, they have been getting better during recent years. Maybe it would be the time to have a look at one. I might as well go and rent the dvd.

Nice! I love opportunities to practice my Russian and expand my limited vocabulary. I know that learning to speak eloquently about vampires will come in very useful whenever I get around to visiting Russia :p
Are there any languages you don't speak, KitKat?

KitKat
Sat, 03-18-2006, 04:12 PM
Are there any languages you don't speak, KitKat?
Lol, well, if I had my way, I'd speak 10 languages, but haven't had enough time for that. I'm only at 3 at the moment, and my Russian is very poor. I know, I'm a sad excuse for a linguist. Maybe I'll take up some more languages when I'm broke and unemployed :p

Paulyboy
Sat, 03-18-2006, 06:30 PM
Hey that movie was cool, I havent seen daywatch but if you have read the book, its more magical, and on wikipedia part 3 is going to be in America. It also reminds me of a little bit of Starwars how he chooses dark side in the end, plus the kid is like anekan (dont know how to spell).

Wilik
Sat, 03-18-2006, 08:55 PM
Looks like Day Watch was already released in Russia, so its only a matter of time before it makes it to the US. My guess is around a year from now we should beable to watch it (unless you just download it else where). According to some sites, this trilogy has already grossed more in Russia then LoTR has in the US.

Eurasian
Mon, 03-20-2006, 10:16 AM
I saw this movie over the weekend (despite I should have been studying for my finals). It's really good!! Can't believe I've been missing out this whole time!! The news that there will be sequels...*cheers* :D

Wilik
Mon, 03-20-2006, 02:45 PM
I actually downloaded Day Watch yesterday and watched it, all I can say is WOW. It was very good as well and I really look forward to it coming out in the US so I can watch it again in the theatre.

IFHTT
Mon, 03-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Man, I was flipping through the movie channels last night and saw the title Nightwatch pass by, so I hurried back to the channel it was on. I was all excited but it wasn't the same movie. :( I really want to see this movie.