PDA

View Full Version : free filehosts and stuffs

nasman
Mon, 03-13-2006, 06:42 PM
whats gotwoot's policy towards anime hosted on free filehosts? my main example is the basilisk thread with its miultiple megaupload links for direct downloads... - are these *ok* with the rules?

my other question is just about whether anyone considered a private gotwoot anime server - i know there are loadsa other sites out there that struggle to maintain that kinda setup but it would still be cool to have the latest episodes of different shows hosted for brief download periods during the month...

my only other crazy idea is for gw to host short flash/avi previews for new releases so peeps can see whether they might be interested in an anime before committing to hours on bt... - yep its another bandwidth hogging feature but could be made to work maybe? [edit: er, looks like someone is already testing out this idea, lol i'm a psychic plaguerist]

:)

complich8
Mon, 03-13-2006, 07:04 PM
I don't think there's anything really wrong with that, per se ... but I'd encourage people to use torrents over that, in general.

Gotwoot uses a ton of bandwidth already, much of it on the back-end side, serving as animeone's work dump (which also eats about 55 gigs of disk space) and as the torrent tracker. The forums and image gallery aren't exactly lightweight on the bandwidth side either. I don't think it'd be a good idea for us to get into the direct downloads game.

I sorta like the preview idea, but ... if you're going to be spending hours torrenting the first episode or the promo for a show, you've got other problems. More to the point, we'd have to reencode the video to make it compatible with that (ie: pick a representative chunk of a show, encode it in flash video format). Sounds like a bit more hassle than it's worth, considering many series release promo videos that typically weigh in in the 25-50 meg category (look for "episode 0" -- we aren't tracking any of those right now though).

Besides, direct downloads encourage a sense of entitlement. Torrents foster the idea that you're not just leeching, you're participating in the swarm, and reward you for contributing. I think there's some value to that.

Deadfire
Mon, 03-13-2006, 07:15 PM
whats gotwoot's policy towards anime hosted on free filehosts? my main example is the basilisk thread with its miultiple megaupload links for direct downloads... - are these *ok* with the rules?

Well, Anime hosted on these filehosts are at the same legal circumstances as those torrents Gotwoot has on their frontpage. So it would be hard to justify saying it's not ok with the rules when the site is doing very much the same thing.

my other question is just about whether anyone considered a private gotwoot anime server - i know there are loadsa other sites out there that struggle to maintain that kinda setup but it would still be cool to have the latest episodes of different shows hosted for brief download periods during the month...

We have this already. We have a torrent server that has anime on it. Gotwoot is AonE distro so to support any other Fansub group would be out of the question. Another thing is that I would think that because users are smart enough to use torrent sites and others to get their downloads. It would be point less to have us waste time and money to host something that someone can easily get somewhere else with little effort.

my only other crazy idea is for gw to host short flash/avi previews for new releases so peeps can see whether they might be interested in an anime before committing to hours on bt... - yep its another bandwidth hogging feature but could be made to work maybe? [edit: er, looks like someone is already testing out this idea, lol i'm a psychic plaguerist]

Well hosting previews of different animes would be a idea, here it would simply will not work. Not only for the reasons I pointed out before, but the fact there is so many new animes it's not funny. To host them all, you can see that we would be wasting alot of space and time. As you see on this forum the main topic animes are those that have been out for a long while. To keep with the theme of those topics it would again be pointless to justify hosting previews to shows that only a small group of people watch. It's a good idea but not one suited to this site as a whole

nasman
Tue, 03-14-2006, 12:52 PM
i pretty much guessed i'd get those replies for filehosts and private server questions.

but about the previews idea, i wouldnt expect a permanent archive to be produced, more like monthly releases and particularly interesting/popular episodes being showcased..... - even a crappy animated gif slideshow kind of setup would be nice. written p/reviews are ok but you can't really get a good feel for shows with those.

anyhoo, it was just an idea.

Assassin
Wed, 03-15-2006, 10:49 PM
like comp said, the idea is good but it requires work on the part of GW staff, and they have other stuff to deal with already.

If you (or someone you know) was willing to re-encode it into flash or whatever, then perhaps it mite be more reasonable

nasman
Thu, 03-16-2006, 06:48 PM
i'm far too unreliable to be trusted with something like that but i guess someone else could volunteer and make it work...

nasman
Thu, 03-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Hey dickweed, stop your bitching about \'aww someone neg repped me, wah wah\'. Nobody gives a fuck. This was a shitty topic to begin with and deserved a neg rep in the first place.

Warned for going blatantly off-topic.

to whoever gave me the pointless negative rep for this thread on 03-18-2006 05:55 AM, i wish incurable cancer on you.

otherwise, keep up the good work.

nasman
Thu, 03-30-2006, 04:02 PM
Don't delete or edit mod's words.
Time for a little vacation.

lol, been given neg reps for some bizarre reason.

Don't double post, stop whining

complich8
Thu, 03-30-2006, 08:00 PM
nothing else to say ... deleted posts restored for posterity (or hilarity, whatever), thread closed.