PDA

View Full Version : Music: Thread o' "All Other Music"

Terracosmo
Sat, 03-11-2006, 08:43 PM
This thread is for discussion of all kinds of music which don't have their own threads.

Examples would be pop, r'n'b, electronica, techno... basically everything that people generally classify as "mainstream", "commercial", "general" or "all other music" - hence the topic title.

So if you want to discuss...

-...metal, go here: http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=6011
-...j/pop & j/rock, go here: http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=8700
-...rap/hiphop, go here: http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=6062

All other music discussion goes here. All clear? Good.

Let me recommend three of my favorites within the world of pop (people/bands you all probably know of):

1. Madonna
- Yes, that's right, Madonna. I love her. She has energy and looks hot like hell even today. And her music rules, especially the 80's stuff. Get the album "The Immaculate Collection", it contains all her best songs. You won't be disappointed (and if so you are just suck)

2. Savage Garden
- You probably heard of these guys too. The australian duo behind such hits as "Truly, Madly Deeply", "To the Moon and Back", "The Animal Song", "Affirmation", "I Want You", "Crash and Burn" etc etc and so on and so forth. They also have a best of out, called "Truly Madly Completely". Good starting point.

3. Sarah Brightman
- SHE FUCKING RULES! Her voice is fantastic, and her mix of pop, dance & classic music just makes my blood boil in a sexy way. Again, let me recommend a best of - the one released 2001, called simply "The Best Of" I think. Listening to it right now in fact. Every song is amazing.

Later on I'll list some outstanding techno acts or something.

Phoenix20578
Sat, 03-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Later on I'll list some outstanding techno acts or something.

I'll do that for you Terra. Here are some Techno/Trance artists I would recommend:

1. Tiesto - If you've heard or Trance, you know Tiesto. He is one of the greatest DJ's to date. So far, he has been the first and only Trance/Techno DJ to be asked to create songs for the most recent Olympic Games. He has a big following, and deserves that following because of the way his songs get to you. Must notably are his songs Just Be, Touch Me, Adagio for Strings, as well as an almost infinate amount of remixs and club mixes that have been out for years. Tiesto deserves the praise of all!!!

2. Paul Oakenfold - An easily reconizable name in the music world. Many know one of hisradio hits, Starry Eyed Surprise. His fame doesn't stop just there. One of his most prominant songs is Ready, Steady, Go. He may not be as well known as some, but is very much worth checking out for some great beats.

Terracosmo
Sun, 03-12-2006, 08:13 AM
Those are nice. I also really enjoy Sash!. The guy behind "Ecuador", "Adelante", "Stay" etc. Awesome hooks and stuff.

masamuneehs
Sun, 03-12-2006, 08:59 AM
Time to give out the love for the moldy oldies. I'm telling you, nothing beats the classics.

Pink Floyd
This British group does it all. Deep, meaningful lyrics, wild solos, jazz fused with rock 'n roll, instruments/inclusions on tracks that make the Beatles White Album look like Gregorian chant. They also were wildly famous for their live shows, which included three record setting pyrotechnics/light shows (they broke their own record twice), having a fake band play the first song of a concert to see if the crowd could tell the difference or not and literally having a massive wall built between them and the crowd.

Syd Barrett was one of the founding members and although he was a musician for only a few years is famously influential. Barrett was originally pinned as a 'pretty boy pop singer', but his use of drugs quickly changed his agenda. He feuded often with the rest of the band and was eventually replaced by Roger Waters. Barrett's mental condition was never very good, and many suspect he suffered from schizophrenia BEFORE starting taking psychadelic drugs.

'The Dark Side of the Moon', which syncs up quite well with 'The Wizard of Oz' is their most famous album. It is said to be the 1st or 2nd best selling album of all time. 'Wish You Were Here' is also one of their best sellers, including the famous title song and the 24 minute long, 9 part orchestral masterpiece 'Shine on You Crazy Diamond'

Jimi Hendrix
This guy taught himself to play a Fender guitar for right-handed people (Hendrix was a lefty) upside-down and restrung to fit his style. He'd also often light his guitar on fire at the end of shows. He would also wear bandanas around his head laced with acid. What more could you want from the man who did a 5 minute version of Star Spangled Banner at woodstock?

Hendrix teamed up with bassist Mitch Mitchell and drummer Noel Redding and formed The Jimi Hendrix Experieince. Their first single was a cover of 'Hey Joe' and all of the bands first 3 songs broke the UK Top 10. On their first major US tour the band was dropped by the now infamous Monkees and Hendrix was critisized for being 'lewd and indecent' in most of his acts.

Yeah yeah yeah, Purple Haze all in your brain. Honestly that's one of my least favorite Hendrix songs, and I consider his blues and covers to be his best stuff. 'Castles Made of Sand', 'Fire', 'Hear my Train a Comin', 'Red House', 'Hey Joe' and his cover of Bob Dylan's 'All Along the Watchtower' are must hears.

Led Zeppellin
All I can say about this band is that every year the NY radio stations have a 'Best Classic Rock songs of all time' marathon, and not once has anything but Zeppelin's 'Stairway to Heaven' won. They were also once called 'The Biggest Band in the World'. Each member had more talent in their pinky finger than the Rolling Stones have all together. These guys made rock and roll what it is today.

KitKat
Sun, 03-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Well, although I listen to a lot of metal, my taste in music tends to be very eclectic. On the softer side of things, I'd really like to recommend Loreena McKennitt. She writes a lot of music for old poems and ballads, and her original compositions are also gorgeous. There is a lot of Celtic influence in her music, but she's also travelled to many different countries experimenting with instruments and sounds. I listen to her music when I want to relax, or just want some soft background music. Probably not your cup of tea for many of you, but maybe one or two of you might find it appealing.

Uchiha Barles
Tue, 03-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Let me recommend three of my favorites within the world of pop (people/bands you all probably know of):

1. Madonna
- Yes, that's right, Madonna. I love her. She has energy and looks hot like hell even today. And her music rules, especially the 80's stuff. Get the album "The Immaculate Collection", it contains all her best songs. You won't be disappointed (and if so you are just suck)

OMG!! Its ok to like heavy music and Madonna at the same time??? *peaks out of the Madonna lovers closet* Terra's absolutely correct on this one. Listen to him and check it out or risk impotence.

Some recommendations of my own:

Tori Amos: This woman's singing, piano playing, and overall song writing are awe inspiring. I don't really know how to describe her music because it is extremely varied. Some light, playful pieces, dark and moody songs, grand and atmospheric compositions, infusing influences from jazz, rock and roll, blues, folk, electronica...yeah, this isn't helping. I'll list some songs here, that'll help out a lot more:

Winter, Precious Things, Father Lucifer, Caught a Light Sneeze, Hotel, Raspberry Swirl, Spring Haze, Bliss, A Sorta Fairy Tale, Beekeeper.

These are some of my favorites. Enjoy!

Well, although I listen to a lot of metal, my taste in music tends to be very eclectic. On the softer side of things, I'd really like to recommend Loreena McKennitt. She writes a lot of music for old poems and ballads, and her original compositions are also gorgeous. There is a lot of Celtic influence in her music, but she's also travelled to many different countries experimenting with instruments and sounds. I listen to her music when I want to relax, or just want some soft background music. Probably not your cup of tea for many of you, but maybe one or two of you might find it appealing.

Over the holidays I was looking for...holiday songs to listen to, and came across her version of "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen". I really enjoyed it. I'm also a big fan of Celtic music, so I'll definately go check her out.

Edit: Masamuneeh has superb taste as well. Dammit gotwoot rocks!

XanBcoo
Tue, 03-14-2006, 11:09 PM
I'd have to say Queen is my favorite band in the world. Freddie Mercury has such an awesome vocal range, and his voice is just amazing. He's been thought of as one of the greatest performers ever (makes me wish I was at this age when he was still alive :( ). I'm partial to Queen's hard rock songs like "Hammer to Fall" and "Princes of the Universe" but I also love some of their more recognizable tunes like "Another One Bites the Dust". The music is just so diverse - you've got heavy metal, ballads, folk, pop-like songs and copius amounts of overdubbing. I can listen to this band in any mood and love it. How can anyone not respect the band responsible for Bohemian Rhapsody?

rockmanj
Tue, 03-14-2006, 11:58 PM
For some reason, i cant stop listening to the new mariah carey album; esp. that 'stay the night' song. I think this may be her best album ever, even better than butterfly or any of the mid-late 90's joints.

Terracosmo
Wed, 03-15-2006, 12:31 AM
@Barles: Definitely. My taste in music is pretty wide. It's an indication of getting older I think, because when I was in my early teens I remember strictly forbidding myself to like everything that wasn't FUXXIN HARDKORE!!!11

You guys bring forth lots of nice bands. Led Zeppelin are among my favorites, I also really enjoy Queen and to a lesser extent Pink Floyd. :D

rockmanj
Wed, 03-15-2006, 01:48 AM
Another good artist who does what i suppose would be 'soul music', even though its kind of got a bluesy feel, is Anthony Hamilton. He's been around for a while, but only enjoyed soem limited commercial success as of the last 2 years. And speakin og soul music, My fav. of all time has to be Maxwell. Probably because a lot of his songs are really emotive and deep (also its good to play when the ladies come around, if u catch my drift :p ). However, the 2nd maxwell album may be confusing to some people. But i would definitely recommend both of these guys to people who like good music to relax to

samsonlonghair
Wed, 03-15-2006, 03:56 AM
I'm into classic Rock and Alternative. I guess my two favorite bands are the Doors and Pearl Jam. They let me work out my nihilism.

Terra, I must say that there are few bands I hate to hear more than Savage Garden. This isn't because of any fault of theirs'; the band itself is alright. The reason that I hate to hear them is because I work at a radio station, and every idiot trying to get laid asks me to play "Truly, Madly, Deeply" (or K.C. and Jojo's "All My Life") for their girlfriend/wife. These morons think they can cheat on a woman a dozen times then request a romantic song to make everything better. When that doesn't work they'll call me back in twenty minutes wanting me to play "I'll be" by Edwin McCain. Retards.

Terracosmo
Wed, 03-15-2006, 04:35 AM
lmao.. yeah those two songs are typical for moments like that.

But it sounds pretty cool to work at a radio station.

masamuneehs
Wed, 03-15-2006, 07:35 AM
Today's three are:Death Cab for Cutie, The Mars Volta, and Michael Jackson :eek
Death Cab for Cutie
Indie alternative rock at its finest. Carefully crafted compositions, mellow guitar solos, deep and emotional (though often angsty) lyrics, this band has gotten huge in the past 3 years or so in the U.S.

I especially love the fact that this Death Cab (named after a segment in the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour) defies the stereotype that all popular bands must contain beautiful people. Ben Gibbard, the vocalist (as well as sometimes lead guitar and drums) has a voice that makes most women swoon, almost like a Sinatra for the new generation. But the man is UGLY! Hell, the whole band isn't much to look at! I love when a group sticks it to the 'we sell albums based on our looks, not music' genre.

'Transatlanticism' is their most well recieved album, with the most recent one 'Plans' being more of an acoustic, simple and clean style. I also love their earlier stuff from 'Something about Airplanes' which features tracks noticeably more upbeat than the recent album.

Ben Gibbard also sings for 'The Postal Service', a group with much more elctronic sound. His voice is reason enough to try both these groups! This band is one of my 'chill out, calm down, collect your spirits' band

Masa's recommended tracks: Title and Registration, Photobooth, Tiny Vessels, Marching Bands of Manhattan, Passenger Seat, I Was a Kaleidoscope and (from the Postal Service) Bend to Squares, Sleeping In

The Mars Volta
If I ever decided to do exctasy and stay out all night, it'd be at a Mars Volta concert. I first heard this band at Bonaroo '05, and I nearly shat my pants. This music has been called 'progressive rock metal', as it blends the eclectic, almost insane nature of most prog rock with a harder metal sound. Honestly, though I don't quite think of this band as either.

Mars Volta lead singer, Cedric Bixler-Zavala, has this voice that is hard to grasp. He uses a melismatic style (changing the pitch in your voice multiple times during a syllable) and can manipulate his voice to make it sound distorted. He also occasionaly uses distortion devices, making it sound like he's singing from underwater or through a voice box.

They can be sloppy in concert, but this band's CDs are flawless compisitions of incredibly difficult songs, most of them averaging 5-7 minutes long.

'Deloused in the Comatorium' was the band's first big album, and was followed up in 05 with 'Francis the Mute'. The first is roughly based on a first-person narrative of a drug-induced coma, while the second is known for actually only consisting of 5 tracks, 2 of which are split up into 5 and 7 'mini-tracks'. You must hear 'Deloused'.

Masa's recommended tracks: Cicatraz E.S.P, Interiactic ESP, This Apparatus must be Unearthed, Cassandra Gemini I, Cygnus...Vismond Cygnus and L'Via L'Viaquez

Michael Jackson
And now for something totally different.
I love this guy's music, and his life entertains me to no end, although I feel somewhat bad for him occasionally because it's fairly obvious to me that he's not OK in the head. However, this man had a huge effect on music as we know it today (not all for the best), and deserves more praise than criticism.

MJ is attributed with making the Music Video what we know it today. Before they were often just liek recordings of live performances, but without actually being live... Sometimes they'd throw in some random effects/attempts at telling a storyline.

then came 'Thriller', and the world has never been the same.

MJ also has a strong record of being a philanthropist, most widely documented when he co-wrote and performed a major part of 'We are the World', a collective effort by artists to promote attention to and money for poverty in Africa.

MJ was also the first black artist to get substantial playing time on MTV.

It's just sad that such a great artist (and shrewd business man, he currently owns huge shares of everything made by both Elvis Prestly and the Beatles) should mostly be remembered and talked about for his personal life, but Jacko is Whacko, and I won't deny that. Still, his songs continue to be a 'guilty' pleasure of mine.

Masa's recommendations: Smooth Criminal, Beat it, Billie Jean, Black or White, Blood on the Dancefloor

Nai
Wed, 03-15-2006, 10:34 AM
I just have to mention Vanessa Mae here. I absolutely adore her work and the violin is without a doubt my favorite instrument. Yes, it even ranks above the would-be omnipotent piano!

Others I really enjoy would be Modern Talking, Russel Watson ( huge bonus points for True to your Dreams ), Agent Provocateur and pretty much everything classical.

XanBcoo
Thu, 03-16-2006, 01:28 AM
@Masamuneehs: Funny, I just randomly decided listened to Smooth Criminal and Billie Jean earlier today, and I must agree they are pretty good songs. The bass line in Billie Jean is just awesome.

Another favorite band of mine is The Who. These guys practically invented the destructive rockstar lifestyle. It became customary at the end of their performances for Pete Townshend (the lead guitarist and writer of most of their songs) to smash his guitar to smithereens. The drummer, Keith Moon, was even worse. He's regarded by many as one of the best drummers ever (to my knowledge) and led such an amazingly hectic life. That joke on the Simpsons "trash the hotel room!"...that was Keith Moon. Stories about cars being driven into swimming pools...that was Keith Moon.

The band's music reflects their personality imo: Moons' wild man-style drumming, Entwistle's solid bass lines, Townshend's creative music, and Roger Daltry's powerful voice. My two favorite tracks by them are "Won't Get Fooled Again" and "Baba O'Riley" both of which are guided by awesome synthesizer tracks. I love this band.

complich8
Thu, 03-16-2006, 02:22 AM
If other people are pimping their favorite groups ... I might as well chime in.

Chris Cornell (in the scope of Soundgarden, in his solo work, and in Audioslave) is... well ... awesome. Complex lyrics, incredible vocals, and a wide variety of sounds ... pretty much everything he's done just reeks of talent. Musically, the man can do no wrong.

Speaking of components of Audioslave, don't overlook Rage Against the Machine. Lyrics are a bit overly-political for some, but man, the band's guitar work is just stunning.

And, speaking of side-project bands, A Perfect Circle (a side-project of Tool lead Maynard) is another great choice. Check out their Thirteenth Step album, which is just a beautiful soundscape and a lyrical masterpiece.

Oh, and let's not forget the ever-interesting Radiohead. That group deserves a lot more exposure and success than they've had, for sheer innovation factor.

el_boss
Tue, 12-12-2006, 05:53 PM
I just started listening to Incubus. I've been listening to their new album Light Grenade. The track Anna Molly kicks ass. It's so fucking good that I have been listening to it like 30 times today.

eat_toast
Tue, 12-12-2006, 08:27 PM
I"m more into electronica.

That being said, one of my favorites is Daft Punk. You can see them featured in my sig :D. You may know them for Harder, Better, Stronger, Faster, or maybe Technologic, because I've heard that in many other places. Personally I love their music because of how in so many of their tracks you want to get up and dance, or rave, or something, it's just good. This is a duo, two Parisians who met up and started making great music around ten years ago, and they're still going strong. They've taken to wearing Robot-esque helmets in public and in concert, which has sort of become iconic for them. They even released their own full length anime set to their album "Discovery." My favorite tracks? Have to be Rollin' and Scratchin', Robot Rock, and the mix between Around the World/Television they did live. Good stuff.

For something different:
A few weeks ago I came across Royksopp. At first it was in a geico commercial (yeah yeah i know, pretty weird), and then a friend mentioned to me that he knew who it was that played the song. This song was Remind Me, and is one of my favorite tracks on their album, Melody A.M. The band hails from Norway, and thats about all i know about them personally, but the music is still excellent. Another is Poor Leno, and both of these tracks have a slow feel to them, but it's almost like you cant stop listening. In Eple, you've got a steady beat going in the back, where in front you have just these notes, these notes that make you bop your head and imagine them. Trippy stuff.

el_boss
Tue, 12-12-2006, 08:40 PM
OMG! I thought I was the only one that loved Rollin' & Scratchin'. :D

Discovery has to be one of the best albums ever made.

I don't really like their newest album though. It's to monotonous. All the songs are the same. :( Needless to say I was really disappointed by it.

saman
Tue, 12-12-2006, 09:06 PM
I just started listening to Incubus. I've been listening to their new album Light Grenade. The track Anna Molly kicks ass. It's so fucking good that I have been listening to it like 30 times today.

anna molly is a pretty good song. i've only listened to light grenades once, and it seems interesting. i'll probably like it the more i listen to it. i like all their albums i've listened to, but my favourite is morning view, so i suggest you check that one out.

i've also recently bought chantal kreviazuk's ghost lights, and evanescense's the open door, which i think are both very good.

kAi
Tue, 12-12-2006, 09:46 PM
Nice eat_toast you're into house music as well.

I listen to alot of house/trance/breaks music, and considering I go clubbing every weekend, I hear quite alot, but for you to mention Royksopp is good, I love there "What else is there?" song, it's quite old now, but still good none-the-less. Australia have some pretty awesome House DJs at the moment. Songs of note are

Tonite Only - Where the Party's at?

Kid Kenobi & Hook N Sling - The Bump (Tonite Only remix)

Craig Obey VS The Church - Under the Milky Way (Craig Obey remix)

I love the beats to these songs, good to dance to.
Australia has got some awesome producers and DJs at the moment.

eat_toast
Tue, 12-12-2006, 11:31 PM
I don't really like their newest album though. It's to monotonous. All the songs are the same. :( Needless to say I was really disappointed by it.

You know, you're not the first person I've heard say that, on the other hand when I've heard mash-ups of these songs done live they sound amazing together. But I can definitely see where you are coming from, since it's a departure from their previous sound.

Bucket
Wed, 12-13-2006, 02:08 AM
Hmm. My favorite bands?

Genesis
My #1 favorite band. I have every official release, a bunch of bootlegs and rare tracks. Not to mention most solo albums. I mostly like the 70's stuff (my favorite album is Trespass), but there are some great newer albums, too (like Duke). There's a reunion being planned, but unfortunately it's only going to be the trio lineup with Phil Collins fronting. I'm still buying tickets, though. Every time I tell people I like Genesis and they start quoting American Psycho, they go on my official "thinks they're clever but deserves a fist in the mouth" list.

Yes, Caravan, Van Der Graaf Generator, XTC, etc.
I basically listen to any progressive rock. Newer bands don't have much to offer so I'm often digging around for 70's stuff. And no... Pink Floyd is 'blues rock' and I haven't listened to them since puberty ended.

King Crimson
They're classic prog, but they deserve special mention. They're still around today and the music they make is just as brilliant as anything they've ever made. Any band worth their salt claims these guys as inspiration. You know those music nerds who think they're all knowledgeable and their taste in music is better than anyone else's? Give them a King Crimson album and tell them to shut the hell up. There just aren't enough superlatives to describe how much better they are from any other rock band. Of course, you do need an attention span to appreciate it...

Thinking Plague
Somewhere in the 80's, an offshoot of prog called 'Rock In Opposition' was created. This music is 100% insane. I mean that in the most literal sense possible. If I lose my mind one day, I imagine this genre will be the soundtrack. Polyrhythms, chromatic scales and cacophany abound.

The Smiths
Speaking of music nerds, I hate them. I mentioned The Smiths because I felt the need to emphasize that they're AVERAGE. So is that guy who wrote 'Pink Moon'. Needs a speech therapist + killed himself != genius.

Brian Eno
I like ambient and space music. You should too.

Gwar
GWAAAARRR!!!!!

Primus
...Sucks.

The Red Chord
The only band to come out in the last decade to really impress me. They rock.

There are dozens more bands I could mention, but that's it for now. Oh, and 'Live to Tell' is my favorite Madonna song.

Terracosmo
Wed, 12-13-2006, 08:52 AM
So is that guy who wrote 'Pink Moon'. Needs a speech therapist + killed himself != genius.

LMAO Nick Drake. So true.

samsonlonghair
Thu, 12-14-2006, 06:35 AM
A friend got me listening to Cake. Someone stole his copy of their second CD, Fashion Nugget. I offered to download a copy and burn it for him, but he insisted that because the band is outside the mainstream I'd be unable to download it. Just because he said that I had to do it.

After I burned him a copy, I listened to it in the car during a short trip. Holy shit, it's good. What I didn't realize is that I had heard a bunch of this stuff before but could never place it. The first track, "Frank Sinatra" was on an episode of The Sopranos. Track thirteen, "Italian Leather Sofa" was the opening theme to Mission Hill. A few other songs were played as the credits rolled on Daria.

I obviously went back to work the next night and downloaded their entire discography.

Super5
Fri, 12-15-2006, 02:53 AM
@eat_toast and el_boss:

Daft Punk's Discovery is their best album, no doubt about that. Some prefer their first disc Homework, but I'm more into the electronica sound, so definitely I was into Discovery more. That and they made a kick-ass anime video to go with the entire disc :)

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Evanescence yet. That band can do no wrong. I love Amy Lee's moody vocals, she's an incredible singer and musician.

Another singer with good vocal range is Dido. I also enjoy Michael Jackson's earlier stuff, especially Thriller.

saman
Fri, 12-15-2006, 03:09 PM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Evanescence yet. That band can do no wrong. I love Amy Lee's moody vocals, she's an incredible singer and musician.

i've also recently bought chantal kreviazuk's ghost lights, and evanescense's the open door, which i think are both very good.

*goes back to her invisible corner of invisibility*

Zinobi
Fri, 12-15-2006, 06:38 PM
I think that my favorite band is the Dead Kennedys, no matter what last.fm says. A great punk band who went against almost everything including some aspects of the punk movement.

I also enjoy listening to Anti-Flag, another punk band, Dropkick Murphys, an Irish tone punk band, The Adicts, Viva La Revolution >.>, and Tenacious D...because theyre cool =P
umm...im not sure...there should be more...

Paulyboy
Sat, 12-16-2006, 10:42 PM
The bands im naming are really old bands. I might also say trippy alot. Some of the songs im listing is the songs people would recognize.

The Beatles

Who could not like them, I didn't always like them, but I started listening to them at the age of 16. Famous band with good songs, the most trippiest of them all was Revolution 9, which is a compilation of backward or reversed songs.

The Turtles

"So Happy Together" is a song everybody should know, a good band with soft qualities.

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Who cannot forget "Free Bird" from GTA San Andreas, a good song but gets old after a while but still a good ol classic.

Imogen Heap

Not an old band but one of the bands I really recommend you to listen to because man this chick really sounds soft, sounds like that one chick who sings the theme songs off of Kingdom Hearts. The song I recommend you guys to listen to is "Hide and Seek" really trippy song, just listen to the lyrics.

Danzig

Oh man my all time favorite singer and a ripped buff guy as well. He is famous for being the lead singer for Misfits and Samhain. Glenn Danzig is one of the best vocals and yet unique because he adds a bit of Elvis in his voice but some people who do not understand the power of vocals will not understand him. Famous song you guys will now "Mother" and also "How the Gods Kill" which got me into the band, DANZIG.

Mindless Self Indulgence

A wierd band that combines techno and rap, with a little rock. A good band, not the greatest though but listen to it to your hearts content.

Yes

Yeah a band called yes but a good 60's 70's band with the famous song of "Ive seen all good people". One of my favorite "old" bands.

Thunderclap Newman

Really good old band with a good song called "Something in the Air"

Stillwater

Stillwater is a good band with the song "Fever Dog" which is off of a movie, I forgot.

Jefferson Airplane

Man, this band is the band that got most people into drugs and curious about it during the 70's. 2 songs you guys will be able to identify which is "Somebody to love" "White Rabbit" (the cool drug song).

Just to let you guys know, the 70's was a kick ass decade, I don't care what anyone says. The interior houses back then were sweet as hell, I would make my house or apartment like the 70's just for the fun of it.

woofcat
Sun, 12-17-2006, 12:01 AM
A band i just started listening to is Yo La Tengo. They have been around for awhile and are i guess indie. But they have a large following and have lasted. There site is here http://www.yolatengo.com/

On the site you can listen to there music. Or click here for a short clip.
http://www.yolatengo.com/audio/yo_la_tengo_beanbag.mp3

Wikipedia describes them as a rock band but they don't really fit that category.

Meh, if you want to read about them. Check out the Wikipedia article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yo_La_Tengo

Giboc
Mon, 01-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Not enough jazz in this thread.

Herbie Hancock is pure brilliance.

Danad_corps
Fri, 02-09-2007, 01:52 PM
I like a lot of music you guys mentioned here (Lorenna Mckennit, Sarah Brightman, Tiesto, Oakie, Evanescence, Madonna, beatles, Daft Punk, Dido, MJ,...HOLY SHIT SOMEONE SAID GWAR!!!!)

@Bucket, hey have you ever gone to one of their concerts?! That shit is f*ckin AWESOME!!

As for other music i like (Trance/techno) : Dj Gt He's a pretty new DJ but he produces some good stuff. His bro, Project C does kinda the same stuff he does. ATB has produced quality stuff for a long time. Ian Van Dahl is pretty damn good as well. Robert Miles is my favorite (esp with Children and 23.am). The collection Trance Voices is pretty damn good (there are 17 CD's in all right now) and it contains a lot of good vocals. sylver's Chances is one of my favorite CD's. Her voice is very alluring for some reason. Goldfrap is unique and amazingly good. I'm sure Terra would like her (stereotyping...sorry). Shit i almost forgot IIO. Her new stuff is absolutely amazing.

Other music: Red Hot Chilli Peppers have been an awesome band since...a loong tine ago (i remember listening to them back in the early 90's - i was in the single-digit years). Aerosmith has been pruducing quality music for the past 30 years. Definitely the best all around band considering they've been around (and popular) for so long. Gorillaz is awesome. If you like their music, go to their concert. Definitely the most unique concert i've ever been to.Velvet Revolver uses the dude from STP and the guys from Guns n' Roses to produce some kick ass music.

Blank and Jones has a mix of some trance and some relaxing music. Both are superb IMHO. They're two Relax titles really just soothe you into a much more calmer mood.

If you like Celtic music check out the soundtrack to Secret Garden. I've enjoyed it more times than i can count.

I listen to a lot of music (>50 gigs) and i spread myself almost throughout the spectrum so if you're curious about something just ask. I'm sure someone here has listened to it

Shit i definitely forgot NIN, Tool and Dirty Sanchez (they are a new band but their music is hilarious!) It's kinda hard to find their music but if you do happen to stumble upon it, you must give it a try.

eat_toast
Thu, 03-01-2007, 10:03 PM
I think it's time someone said Modest Mouse. They've been around for a long time, but their music still kicks ass. Personally, I have almost everything they've ever recorded, they have to be one of my all-time favorite bands. One thing to note is that their sound is incredibly different, and that was what drew me to them when I first heard "float on". I sat there and watched the video everytime it came on, and I could never get enough. When I got some of their earlier stuff, it only made me love them more. Another reason I bring this band up is they have a new album coming out on the twentieth!! I can't wait to get it.

masamuneehs
Fri, 03-02-2007, 02:20 AM
if you enjoy Modest Mouse then I highly suggest you look up a band called Pavement My roommate is nuts about them and they sound alot like Modest Mouse. Only thing is that Pavement has been around quite a bit longer than Mouse, just got overlooked by the media machine.

In fact, I've seen Mouse in concert once, and I thought they were OK, but nothing special, mediocre show and the music just didn't sound right without all the editting and shit they do for albums. Pavement, on the other hand, sounds just as good live as they do on their records.

XanBcoo
Fri, 03-02-2007, 03:39 AM
Does anyone else have trouble differentiating Modest Mouse's "Float On" from Franz Ferdinand's "Take me Out"? I swear they're the same song.

Gorillaz is awesome. If you like their music, go to their concert. Definitely the most unique concert i've ever been to
I'm a big Gorillaz fan. Though I think I like the art and animation more than a lot of their songs. Especially in the Demon Days album, which had a few gems (Kids with Guns, Feel Good Inc, Dare), but was mainly just a collection of pretty boring songs.

Yes

Yeah a band called yes but a good 60's 70's band with the famous song of "Ive seen all good people". One of my favorite "old" bands.
I always think it's funny that Yes is more well remembered for their New Wave 80s hit "Owner of a Lonely Heart" rather than their Prog Rock stuff.

Mae
Fri, 03-02-2007, 07:04 AM
Other music? Maybe Jonathan Coulton.

http://www.jonathancoulton.com/songs

Independent singer-songwriter. Easy to sample his music, some of it's a bit silly, but sometimes I'm in the mood for it, very different from what I usually listen to. "Re your brains" and "Code Monkey" are his "hits." Right now I like "I'm You Moon" about Pluto and Charon.... I'm your moon, you're my moon....

el_boss
Sat, 03-10-2007, 11:56 AM
KING CRIMSON!!!

I got around to listening to In the court of the crimson king and now I'm fucking addicted.

I haven't been able to listen to anything else for like 2 weeks now.

The more I listen to them the more I hear that like all bands have been inlfuenced by them.

Flute solos is the shit :D

I've mostly listened to the albums up to and including Red. I don't really like their newer albums. Can't really wrap my mind around them. I think I'll have to raise my KC listening skills some more before I can fully appreciate them.

StillAlive
Sat, 03-10-2007, 01:30 PM
In recent times I'm getting into Mash-Ups/Bootlegs. Loo&Placido for example made a great compilation with 'Bastards at work' which can be downloaded at http://looandplacido.com/. You must be a registered Multiply member though.

el_boss
Thu, 03-29-2007, 12:44 PM
Blackfield have released their second album Blackfield II. For those who don't know Blackfield is a project of Steve Wilson, the singer of Porcupine Tree.

Really good album. It continues in the same vain as the first album, and like the first album it is a really strong album as a whole. And finally we get a studio recording of "where is my love" :)

el_boss
Fri, 04-27-2007, 03:22 AM
Pure Reason Revolution - The Dark Third

Just get it and listen to them. One of the best bands I have ever heard.

A free song can be downloaded here http://www.purereasonrevolution.com/Victoria_Cupid.zip

master_me
Fri, 04-27-2007, 05:55 AM
Kula Shaker. They're a British rock band, big in the late nineties and early 21st. They broke up for a number of years but they're now releasing a new CD very soon. Personally, I love every single song on all of their CDs and EPs. They've got three EPs, two CDs, and a collection album, so if you're only going to try them out, you might as well get Kollected - The Best Of. I've been listening to Kula Shaker since they first began, and they're still my favorite band by a landslide. Definitely, definitely check them out if you're a fan of rock.

XanBcoo
Thu, 06-28-2007, 07:20 PM
I've just downloaded the new album by The White Stripes, Icky Thump after reading/hearing a bunch of praise about it. Personally The White Stripes kinda disappeared for me after their song Seven Nation Army stopped being played 24-7 on the radio, but apparently they've been putting out several pretty good albums. This one is no exception, and in many internet-peoples' opinions, their best album yet.

There is honestly no song I don't like on it, but I think my favorites are Slowly Turning Into You and Catch Hell Blues. A lot of people are comparing these guys to Zep, and I don't altogether disagree. I generally dislike anything new or popular, but I really love this.

Here's a youtube vid of Rag and Bone, for anyone interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLcnPZbnX5c

Uchiha Barles
Tue, 06-17-2008, 10:30 PM
I debated putting this in the metal thread, but since the band in question has a long pop legacy, and even the music I'm about to discuss is arguably not metal, I chose to write here.

I just discovered the band Genesis. Omfg! I'm not talking about the 80s stuff like Invisible Touch, or In Too Deep (which I grew up on, and actually enjoy). I'm talking about the 70s stuff, in particular two albums I've just heard today: Selling England by the Pound, and A Trick of the Tail. Unbelievable progressive rock music. I'm a huge prog metal fan, and kept hearing bands I love talk about Genesis as one of their influences, including Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, and Opeth. I kept dismissing the mention though, because what I knew of Genesis was only the 80s material. Horrendous mistake on my part.

I'm not sure how to describe this, but lets just say after listening to four songs, they have the potential of becoming my favorite band. Here are those four songs: Firth of Fifth, Entangled, Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, and Mad Man Moon.

Here's the YouTube link to Entangled: http://youtube.com/watch?v=inblUMTHm9A&feature=related

..so beautiful...

edit: they're not kidding when they say "they just don't make music like they used to anymore."