PDA

View Full Version : No more Fusetalk!

Ciber
Fri, 03-10-2006, 12:17 AM
Yes, You're not seeing things... it's really gone.

Deadfire
Fri, 03-10-2006, 12:45 AM
Good going guys. It's fast and easy on the sences. Course I know that other then the fact it took about 7 hours to get the database swiched over, but you PAID for this forum software.

Can't wait until you get a new skin for everything

Knives122
Fri, 03-10-2006, 12:58 AM
Look Ma! no sig

Edit: ok well now there's a sig......guess not

so are we going to still have those titles we had back when fusetalk was "running the show"

Kraco
Fri, 03-10-2006, 04:02 AM
I couldn't get the avatar image working.

But it looks like nobody else could, either, with the exception of our Grand Administrator.

Well, at least we have standard tags now. It'll make it easier to link to things. And perhaps thumbnails work now, as well.

complich8
Fri, 03-10-2006, 04:09 AM
Yeah ... we'll probably be doing all sorts of things, tweaking and tuning and getting things up and running.

I'm pretty sure avatars work. If not for you, what was the error message?

Wilik
Fri, 03-10-2006, 04:15 AM
His avatar was probably over the size limit, I have setup vb to auto resize images if they are over the limits.

complich8
Fri, 03-10-2006, 04:17 AM
another thing that fusetalk just ... couldn't do at all, ever :p

Wilik
Fri, 03-10-2006, 04:20 AM
oh so true...

Kraco
Fri, 03-10-2006, 05:17 AM
When I click the "Edit Avatar" link in CP, I don't have even an option to upload an avatar.

This is everything I get when I click the CP link:
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/5491/avatarupload8af.jpg

The custom avatar upload options that should be present below that box are missing completely.

Edit: Maybe you have disabled custom avatars by accident (for anybody but an admin). And maybe there are no default avatars, and thus that selection is not available.

mage
Fri, 03-10-2006, 05:28 AM
the old forum was better.. :(

complich8
Fri, 03-10-2006, 06:16 AM
Dang, you hit the nail on the head, Kraco. Good work.

We had profile pics enabled, but custom avatars disabled for regular users (which is, indeed, everyone but us admins).

I've enabled custom avatars for all users. As an added bonus, I'm bumping up the size limit slightly, to 25KB. Max size is 80x80, for the moment.

Mage: why do you think that? Because it broke constantly and didn't have options? Or did you just like the layout better? 'cause we'll be changing the layout in the near future, too.

Kraco
Fri, 03-10-2006, 07:00 AM
Alright. Now it works just beautifully.

I'll be looking forward to what you can come up with the layout. This forums engine itself should be good as some uber bloated forums are using this with few problems.

One thing to consider: The thread subscription seems to be on by default. Whilst it can be turned off manually, it's a good question if majority of people ever use it or benefit from it, so it could be better turned off by default.

masamuneehs
Fri, 03-10-2006, 07:25 AM
I like the new system so far, but I'm going to have to fiddle with Display Modes and all that before I really get used to it.

Sorta sucks that everyone lost sigs and avatars. For me it was easy to replace but now all the people who don't come back will forever be blank names, not even with a goofy nerd/doctor/wheelchair face...

What changes in the layout are being planned comp?

Ero-Fan
Fri, 03-10-2006, 07:59 AM
This'll take some getting used to. Oh, well, its all for the better. I like the look of it so far, though. Now I gotta go dig up my avatar somewhere.
Edit: I hope everyone figures out that their time zone got reset. I thought it funny that my post was in the future.
Edit2: I definitly like the new posts feature at the top. Makes it alot easier to refresh and see whats new.
Edit: @Below: Busted!

kAi
Fri, 03-10-2006, 08:40 AM
I thought it funny that my post was in the future.
It's about time every stopped living in the past.

... For me it was easy to replace...

[11:03] <Masamuneehs> anyone else having trouble getting sigs to display?
[11:03] <@Budweineken> nope
[11:03] <@Budweineken> and i don't see it there... i only see number of posts displayed
[11:06] <Masamuneehs> hm, i think ur right bud
[11:07] <@Budweineken> of course im right
[11:08] <Masamuneehs> howd you get ur sig to work?
[11:08] <Masamuneehs> mine keeps displaying a link...
[11:08] <@Budweineken> tags
[11:10] <Masamuneehs> fucking tried that...
[11:10] <@_kAi_> well, you aint trying hard enough
[11:10] <Masamuneehs> [img]http://www.gotwoot.net/d/1484-1/Ginkosig2.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=6ecc5aa45c373f36c288d3 b93a7caddc
[11:10] <Masamuneehs> fucking doesnt work
[11:10] <@Budweineken> because that's not an image link from what i can see
[11:11] <Masamuneehs> gotta be a LINK!
[11:11] <@Budweineken> http://www.gotwoot.net/d/1484-1/Ginkosig2.jpg
[11:11] <@Budweineken> that
[11:12] <Masamuneehs> sweetness

Nice and easy masa!

Kraco
Fri, 03-10-2006, 09:34 AM
Damn. Masa got pwned by an url.

I have to say the old forum system here felt a little archaic when I first time visited the place, but after a time you grow accustomed to things like that. Now this place, on the other hand, looks a bit generic, so in that sense it'll be nice once the people responsible get the new layout ready. The special Gotwoot atmosphere is a bit lacking right now.

kenren
Fri, 03-10-2006, 10:01 AM
what's fusetalk? seriously.

masamuneehs
Fri, 03-10-2006, 10:29 AM
ouch kAi, caught me good there...

Two Things:
First: The logo at the very very top of the page. It links to the front of the forums, but its the damn vBulletin logo. How lame is that?

Second (and much more importantly): The Search function.
A couple minutes ago I ran a search for Ergo Proxy. Said it couldn't find any topic named that. Then I went and made a post where I wrote the words &quot;Ergo Proxy&quot;, redid the search, and now that thread came up as the result from the search.

The Ergo Proxy thread is still alive and well (and just bumped with episode 2 I might add), but the Search function STILL can't find it.

Not only is this annoying, but I guarantee the newbies are going to be making shit tons of repeat threads until this issue gets resolved...

Me changing my Search preferences and whatever I can do, but the fucking n00bs won't know how to do it, won't bother to do it, and, well, you can figure it out from there!

Save us from the n00b deluge before it comes!

kenren: fusetalk was the system that the old forums worked on. This one is vBulletin. Edit: NOW the Search function finds the Ergo Proxy thread. It seems that it is only able to find threads that have been bumped after the transition to vBulletin. All threads before that aren't found by the search...

Knives122
Fri, 03-10-2006, 11:05 AM
I sort've liked fusetalk better, mostly b/c almost every other forum I go to uses vbulletin....

KitKat
Fri, 03-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Well, this is different. I hope there's less problems with slowness and downtime now. Defaults are always so ugly. I'm looking forward to the forums becoming prettier when you guys find a cool skin. :)

Aeon
Fri, 03-10-2006, 11:41 AM
What happened to the video game area? And I thought fusetalk was pretty cool for the simple fact that the dark skin was sick.

ChaosK
Fri, 03-10-2006, 11:44 AM
What happened to the video game area? And I thought fusetalk was pretty cool for the simple fact that the dark skin was sick.

yeah, now GW's not original anymore, oh well. but for that matter, where IS the gaming area?

Jadugar
Fri, 03-10-2006, 11:47 AM
You are in it. Look closer ;)

Ero-Fan
Fri, 03-10-2006, 11:48 AM
The gaming area probably went the way of the tv shows area. It looks like it is in the General Discussion section now.
Edit: Damnit Jadugar! You beat me to it.

ChaosK
Fri, 03-10-2006, 11:53 AM
You are in it. Look closer ;)

no, you misunderstand, i did see the threads in the general discussion area, i'm wondering why they were moved here. I understand the TV/Movies section was not very active, but i thought the gaming section was doing quite well.

Aeon
Fri, 03-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Same as Chaoskiddo, I just noticed I'm in the future also have to adjust the clock.

Paulyboy
Fri, 03-10-2006, 12:21 PM
I actually like these forums, but people are saying different. Just wait till they add more stuff in :)

XanBcoo
Fri, 03-10-2006, 12:22 PM
I like the avatars being slightly bigger, that's a nice change.

I also miss the old feel that the old forums had, but I look forward to when this one is tweaked around with and customized. Could be cool.

Terracosmo
Fri, 03-10-2006, 12:25 PM
Bigger avatars is the shit! It makes me a happy lifeless Terra!

complich8
Fri, 03-10-2006, 12:25 PM
yeah, I think that vbulletin's search optimizes/indexes things, and probably can't do that efficiently with old threads. But I dunno. Just one of those migration annoyances, it seems.

On the other hand, fusetalk's search rarely worked at all :-p.

So, I guess the lesson is ... if you think a thread should be indexed, go find it and make an interesting post in it :-p.

Jadugar
Fri, 03-10-2006, 12:27 PM
@ Chaoskiddo :

I dont know why they moved gaming and TV shows back into General discussion area. It is more cluttered than ever. If tv shows are not that active then get rid of them or put them where everybody can see them so they alteast know where they are and someone will eventually take some interest to post in them.

The situation now is that tv show/ gaming threads are not that active and they at the the bottom of general discusssion thread or all over the place so even someone wants to post in them they bloody well cant find them which means low activity going even lower. Brilliant! I want to know who though of that genius idea.

Ero-Fan
Fri, 03-10-2006, 12:42 PM
yeah, I think that vbulletin's search optimizes/indexes things, and probably can't do that efficiently with old threads. But I dunno. Just one of those migration annoyances, it seems.

On the other hand, fusetalk's search rarely worked at all :-p.

So, I guess the lesson is ... if you think a thread should be indexed, go find it and make an interesting post in it :-p.

Eh, go into your personal options and set it to 'show all threads' for the default thread age cut-off. Then you can find just about every thread you ever search for.

Arcn3ss
Fri, 03-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Forum look pretty good. Could use a dark colour style tho, I like it better then before.

2:25
Fri, 03-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Anything new fascinates me. This will take a bit of time to get used to though.
Anyway, great job!

Kraco
Fri, 03-10-2006, 04:50 PM
Wow. Just moments ago I deleted one message of mine, and it wasn't even the last message of the thread. It looks like we have pretty nice rights here. This indicates the admins here really trust and respect us members and our manners and adherence to the code of conduct.

Personally I hope this won't be changed, even though it assumes responsible behavior and wits when posting.

complich8
Fri, 03-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Sounds like an oversight to me ...

To be honest, that's not something I'd like to let you guys do. But it keeps a nice placeholder there, so it's not much different than just editing your message.

We'll probably want to add some restrictions to that, like ... how long you can do so... right now we're kind of spinning loose and wild though...

Oh, about the category merging, take it up with Ciber =D

ChaosK
Fri, 03-10-2006, 05:01 PM
i think the ability to delete your own post is a good idea, it eases up on some of the mods having to go to release threads and banning people, if we accidently post there, or double post somewhere, we can just delete one.

Assertn
Fri, 03-10-2006, 06:32 PM
Can we move the avatar/title/post count info to the left side like before? I think too much vertical real-estate is unnecessarily used to fit in all those square images.

masamuneehs
Fri, 03-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Can we move the avatar/title/post count info to the left side like before? I think too much vertical real-estate is unnecessarily used to fit in all those square images.

second that one. really is a space waster... then again I don't know shit about the technical craps.

As for people being able to Delete their entire posts... I sorta see how it would need to be changed. I mean, you can already Edit your post, and I'd like to think that if a moderator saw an Editted post in a Naruto thread saying "Oops! I'm sorry I didn't know/forgot you can't post in here!" they wouldn't ban them. I think being able to delete your post is unnecessary....

however, i do sorta wonder what other features we 'accidentaly' got from the changeover...

xDarkMaster
Fri, 03-10-2006, 07:45 PM
OK, I need a easy way to be able to name a link.

complich8
Fri, 03-10-2006, 10:39 PM
yeah, the layout's going to get a lot better -- back to a standard "user on the left, text on the right" model, at very least.

We'll be discovering those "accidental" things, and working to correct them if they turn out to be bad things, or just leaving them alone if they work out well. So, you never know.

Our goal out of all of this is to have a flexible, easily customizable, visually attractive forum that doesn't shit itself, crash and die every couple of hours like the old setup did. Consider it a work in progress :D

Oh, and xDarkMaster, what do you mean "name a link"? Might you be looking for this (http://forums.gotwoot.net/misc.php?do=bbcode#url)?

kAi
Fri, 03-10-2006, 11:18 PM
I'm liking the theme for the forum, goes with the main site. Very nice.

Knives122
Fri, 03-10-2006, 11:26 PM
WOW!!!

I'm impressed (which is hard for me to be in this forum :p )

all you need to do now is give us more themes ;)

Edit: Ahhp, layout just changed back to what it was, now its back, stop confusion me....

complich8
Fri, 03-10-2006, 11:33 PM
so it did ^_^

Goes with my sig and avatar too, kinda :-p

Deadfire
Fri, 03-10-2006, 11:34 PM
Holy Crap!

Good Work Guys!

Looks just amazing

Souryusen
Fri, 03-10-2006, 11:44 PM
J. R. Bob Dobbs approves.

Arcn3ss
Sat, 03-11-2006, 01:31 AM
The Forum looks awesome. I like the headers. Iam assuming they change since i've seen a naruto and a bleach one.

complich8
Sat, 03-11-2006, 01:44 AM
yep, rotations are cool ...

Oh, I've enabled the reputation system, on an experimental basis.

Raven
Sat, 03-11-2006, 01:51 AM
I love it. Awesome work guys.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 03-11-2006, 02:24 AM
Looks absolutely great. I especially love the rotating banners at the top of the page(though, no One Piece banner? Show some love!)!

Really looking forward to when spoiler tags get added too as I know vBull can do them!

Munsu
Sat, 03-11-2006, 02:55 AM
I myself hope that spoiler tags wont me added...

I find that there is no reason to include spoilers in a discussion...

Kraco
Sat, 03-11-2006, 03:10 AM
This looks really good, and like has been said numerous times, the changing pictures are a great addition.

Superb work, guys.

masamuneehs
Sat, 03-11-2006, 05:55 AM
sweetness. loving the new layout!

Spoiler tags would be good too I think, but they do make for crappy discussion. People who only watch the anime might have a very valid opinion for that point in the series, but someone who knows some gossip or reads the manga can just scoff, "Idiot! You're so wrong! If you read ___ you'd know that: SPOILER TAG HERE"

oh well, its not like a spoiler tag system would be a bad thing, I'd just hope people used them in discussion with some thought and tact...

Kraco
Sat, 03-11-2006, 06:18 AM
Well, the cases where spoiler tags are really appropriate or necessary are rare. One example that comes to mind is the recent most shocking anime moment thread. As people have watched different series, it could have included numerous titles. Nobody really likes to spoil the most shocking moments for themselves, yet they would be interested in opinions of the series they have watched themselves.

But spoiler tags for manga prophets are unnecessary, because they might as well not post their "opinions" at all.

BioAlien
Sat, 03-11-2006, 06:31 AM
the forum/website look great now, some more banners at top of the forum would be nice too

Terracosmo
Sat, 03-11-2006, 08:43 AM
The new forum design: an amazing facelift, almost up to par with how the forums looked 2003/2004 (my favorite look overall).

xDarkMaster
Sat, 03-11-2006, 10:01 AM
I totally agree, the forums look awesome. Also, spoiler tags aren't really necessary seeing as how we have different threads for anime and manga.

NM
Sat, 03-11-2006, 11:18 AM
This is the best layout by far for GotWoot! Fucking awesome job you guys!!

complich8
Sat, 03-11-2006, 12:01 PM
I'm not sure whether we're planning on implementing spoiler tags or not... I'll leave that one in the air for now :-p.

As far as the rotating banner goes ... we might run a banner contest in the near future... I'm bouncing the idea off the other admins to see what they think about it... I think it'd be a good community activity :)

Tommy_Salami
Sat, 03-11-2006, 12:01 PM
while the new layout looks great but viewing it in opera makes the red parts of the post dividers look rough and jaged. That is the only thing that bugs me about the new forum layout. will post a picture when i have time later.

darkmetal505
Sat, 03-11-2006, 01:05 PM
i agree, no spoiler tags. New format is awesome.

Board of Command
Sat, 03-11-2006, 07:12 PM
The new forum template is a bit "narrow". I really hope this isn't a permanent thing because I use 1280x960 and half of my screen is blank.

And secondly, with the new forum, are animated avatars allowed?

Kraco
Sat, 03-11-2006, 07:19 PM
And secondly, with the new forum, are animated avatars allowed?

I seriously hope not. Animated avatars are nothing but distracting. Text and pictures in the actual posts should remain the primary content at forums, not fancy movies as avatars and sigs.

darkmetal505
Sat, 03-11-2006, 07:23 PM
I seriously hope not. Animated avatars are nothing but distracting. Text and pictures in the actual posts should remain the primary content at forums, not fancy movies as avatars and sigs.

its not like people go to the forums just to look at animated avatars

i think it would be neat as long as its not like a 2 min movie of a gif image

Wilik
Sat, 03-11-2006, 07:27 PM
I run in 1280x1024 and I think the forums look fine.

Board of Command
Sat, 03-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Yeah that's what I meant, simple 5-frame animations. Oh well, you bring up a good point, Kraco. Some people people intentionally use distracting animations so we kinda have to avoid that.

I run in 1280x1024 and I think the forums look fine.
You don't have the huge grey background on either side of the screen?

Ciber
Sat, 03-11-2006, 07:29 PM
There will not be any animated sigs on GotWoot, EVER!

Wilik
Sat, 03-11-2006, 07:31 PM
Yeah that's what I meant, simple 5-frame animations. Oh well, you bring up a good point, Kraco. Some people people intentionally use distracting animations so we kinda have to avoid that.

You don't have the huge grey background on either side of the screen?

Sure I do, however its not a big deal as I am not looking at the grey background, I am reading a post. I like the set width much more then the 'expand to fit my screen' forums.

Knives122
Sat, 03-11-2006, 08:02 PM
how did you get 2 million posts?

Terracosmo
Sat, 03-11-2006, 08:08 PM
olol Wilik is a spammer! : O

Jadugar
Sat, 03-11-2006, 08:20 PM

Its counting backwards.

Wilik
Sat, 03-11-2006, 08:20 PM

I'm an admin, I can do whatever I want ;), like change my post count and so forth.

Knives122
Sat, 03-11-2006, 08:25 PM
Curse You!!!!!

oh well, I already knew that :p

Board of Command
Sat, 03-11-2006, 08:33 PM
OMFG H4XX0RZ!!!!111

Kraco
Sun, 03-12-2006, 04:29 AM
The default posts per page seemed to be 10. That's far too low, if you ask me. Don't you think the forums would work more fluently if you boosted it up to, say, 20? Of course everybody can adjust it to what ever limit they want, but the idea of a default is to be as close to the perfect number (the most convenient) as possible.

masamuneehs
Sun, 03-12-2006, 07:04 AM
The default posts per page seemed to be 10. That's far too low, if you ask me. Don't you think the forums would work more fluently if you boosted it up to, say, 20? Of course everybody can adjust it to what ever limit they want, but the idea of a default is to be as close to the perfect number (the most convenient) as possible.

just like you said, since you can set the viewing settings to whatever suits you best, it really doesn't matter what the default is. 10 posts per page make a topic seem really long at first, but people will figure out what fits them best. No point in screwing with minor stuff like that when the user can (and should) just personalize it

I go with a 1280x800 screen resolution, and the forums look fine. However the text on the main page sometimes looks a little scrunched. Not that big of a deal...

Psyke
Sun, 03-12-2006, 09:27 AM
I might be a little late on this, but I just wanna say I'm enjoying the new look to the forum as well. It's a little more narrow than before on my 1024 x 768 resolution, but I guess it's not going to bother me much.