PDA

View Full Version : Bleach Licensed

aznimperialx
Wed, 03-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Viz Media has acquired the Bleach anime in order to push more into the teen anime market. This comes at a time when a recent Cartoon Network interview has the commentator talking about how Bleach is very much an Adult Swim oriented show and would fit well in their line-up. Time that with Inu Yasha getting closer to finishing and it looks as if Viz Media is lining things up for their next big TV push in addition to Naruto.

RedX1z
Wed, 03-08-2006, 08:36 PM
there already came a time where licensing doesn't mean anything anymore, but i guess it's useful information.

darkmetal505
Wed, 03-08-2006, 08:40 PM
it was bound to happen right?

LobsterMagnet
Thu, 03-09-2006, 12:52 AM
CRAP! I was hoping for licenese bleach myself after I graduated from college. Grrrrrrr, makes me really frustrated to hear that it's going to get licensed. Sigh guess I'll just have to wait for the next big anime sensation to come up so I can grab on to it's ever so illustrious gravy train.

Munsu
Thu, 03-09-2006, 01:04 AM
Can you please link to the source?

Edit:

Viz Media Acquires Bleach Anime (06:36 PM EST): According to this report from C21 Media back on February 6th, Viz Media has acquired the Bleach anime in order to push more into the teen anime market. This comes at a time when a recent Cartoon Network interview has the commentator talking about how Bleach is very much an Adult Swim oriented show and would fit well in their line-up. Time that with Inu Yasha getting closer to finishing and it looks as if Viz Media is lining things up for their next big TV push in addition to Naruto.

http://www.c21media.net/search....x=0&search_go.y=0 (http://www.c21media.net/search/search.asp?keyword=bleach&search_go.x=0&search_go. y=0)
http://animeondvd.com

XanBcoo
Thu, 03-09-2006, 01:25 AM
Holy Hell this is big news.

Seriously, if Bleach gets on Adult Swim that will rock so hard.

*Goes off to make the "Bleach Dub" thread*

Munsu
Fri, 03-10-2006, 03:31 AM
This licensing announcement apparently has nothing to do with North America...

For our interest, Bleach is not licensed yet.

Kraco
Fri, 03-10-2006, 03:52 AM
Licensing would drop Lunar out of the subbers (at least according to their traditions). That would suck.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 03-10-2006, 06:29 AM
If you gotta get liscensed, I always felt the best place is either Adult Swim or late-nite G4. Either one means essentially no edits.

Illrenmazou
Fri, 03-10-2006, 07:10 AM
Licensing would drop Lunar out of the subbers (at least according to their traditions). That would suck.
Yeah. Hopefully Lunar will make an exception.

Munsu
Fri, 03-10-2006, 07:27 AM
Lunar will not make an exception... ever.

masamuneehs
Fri, 03-10-2006, 07:28 AM
i really am looking forward to seeing how they dub this. It had better go to Adult Swim, where it won't get editted to ribbons...

and the very cautious Animesuki hasn't removed Bleach torrents yet or made any kind of announcement I agree with Bud, the license is either not finalized yet or not yet applicable to the US

Ero-Fan
Fri, 03-10-2006, 08:06 AM
Damnit this sucks. I'm really used to the Lunar subs for Bleach. Not that Dattebayo does a bad job, they just translate some words that Lunar didn't and leave some words in Japanese that Lunar translated. My friend's gonna be real pissed, he hates the Dattebayo subs.
Edit: It better go to AS and not earlier. I don't want to see another One Piece happen ever again.

NM
Fri, 03-10-2006, 09:23 AM
I wouldn't mind switching over to Dattebayo if we really have to. I replace all my tv-rips with HQ dvd-rips and KickAssAnime happens to be doing Bleach (and they won't drop it, they have released stuff thats been licensed). Lunar will most likely drop it which does suck but...if you can watch Dattebayo's subs for Naruto, I don't think that following their subs for Bleach will be any different. And theres always the possibility that an underground subber will do Bleach (like some of Aone's staff creating HaroTori for GSD).

XanBcoo
Fri, 03-10-2006, 10:27 AM
If Viz doesn't get Bleach now, then I say they're going to get it soon. With the manga rights under their belt, as well as this news, I find it really unlikely that - say, Funimation - is going to come out of nowhere and announce that they've licensed Bleach.

ChaosK
Fri, 03-10-2006, 11:48 AM
acctually, lunar hasn't given it up yet.

Originally Posted By Deidryt of Lunar Anime
1) We do not consider the source to be reputable.
2) There has been no official announcement from Viz
3) Why is this place the only one to have a report FOR OVER A MONTH?
4) I, personally, did some research when KgNE was licensed and some ANN (Anime News Network) people said very specifically "BLEACH IS NOT LICENSED"
5) AnimeSuki is still serving it

That's it for now... I'm not going to make this an announcement because if something comes up in the next week to back this source up, I'd like people to post and grab our attention. Until then, business as normal.

taken from bleach7.

Munsu
Fri, 03-10-2006, 12:03 PM
As I said, it's not being considered licensed in NA, so no reason for Lunar to drop it.

Phoenix20578
Fri, 03-10-2006, 12:46 PM
This is accually scaring me a bit, because I back up Keep's Bleach releases (as slow as they come). And Keep is notorius for dropping animes with a rumor of being licenced :(

Munsu
Fri, 03-10-2006, 01:20 PM
I'm more worried about Naisho-TW dropping it, I think they'll keep it dropped since the translator was kinda uniterested lately or something.

Harima Kenji
Wed, 03-15-2006, 05:18 PM
It's official:

Viz Media has informed us that they have "secured from worldwide licensors, TV Tokyo Corporation and Shueisha Inc., the television, home video and merchandising rights to Shonen Jump's Bleach in the Americas, Europe and Oceania."

Viz is the Bleach master licensor and expects to announce television broadcast and other licensing partners "shortly." John Easum, executive vice president of Viz Media, stated, "Working together with Viz Media B.V. in Europe, we look forward to making Bleach a global success.”

No specifics about the home video release are available yet.

source: ANN

So...from what group should I get Bleach now, HF or DB?

Arcn3ss
Wed, 03-15-2006, 05:38 PM
DB i suppose, I dont care for HF to much. Meh. I dont really like either, but I suppose its the lesser of two evils.

Harima Kenji
Wed, 03-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Maybe some underground group will pick it up...and if not, I'll go for DB I guess.
But since the filler eps are still ongoing, I don't watch Bleach anyway :p

ChaosK
Wed, 03-15-2006, 07:01 PM
*sigh* well i've been watching mostly DB episodes anyway, lunar hasnt been keeping up so i suppose as long as DB's in it i'll live through it.

masamuneehs
Wed, 03-15-2006, 09:12 PM
This is just some more formal news about Bleach being licensed by Viz. Props to new member Harima Kenji for first bringing it to our attention:

VIZ Officialy named Master Licsensor for Bleach (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pressrelease.php?id=1602)

darkmetal505
Wed, 03-15-2006, 09:51 PM
aw damn. No more lunar I guess. We'll have to wait for A-keep

Arcn3ss
Wed, 03-15-2006, 11:09 PM
aw damn. No more lunar I guess. We'll have to wait for A-keep

I doubt it completely that Keep will do it. They are known for dropping series once its been licensed.

m7b
Wed, 03-15-2006, 11:52 PM
what about Bleach Society group is it good ? and they still subbing after the lisenced

Phoenix20578
Thu, 03-16-2006, 12:08 AM
I doubt it completely that Keep will do it. They are known for dropping series once its been licensed.

I believe I posted that also. People don't read...

And so more people know of Keep's policy to licensed anime...
Straight from Keep's Main Page:

FeelLicks @ 2006-03-15

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=8560 Bleach has been officially licensed, so naturally Anime-Keep has dropped it. We hope you enjoyed what episodes we put for you and that you buy the DVDs to show your support. Enjoy!

XanBcoo
Thu, 03-16-2006, 12:56 AM
Now we just have to wait for them to put it on Adult Swim...

kooshi
Thu, 03-16-2006, 03:07 AM
Well, from Bleach7, LunarAnime and Hell have dropped Bleach, so you'll be getting your Bleach episodes from either Dattebayo or Bleach-Society.

Carnage
Thu, 03-16-2006, 10:25 PM
Is there any official confirmation of Lunar dropping bleach? Oh well, I can deal with Dattebayo,and Im still glad that KAA is still subbing it for Archive's sake.

NM
Thu, 03-16-2006, 11:31 PM
http://a.scarywater.net/lunar/

Looks like Lunar dropped it. Check out their torrents on the Scarywater link, Bleach is nowhere to be found.

kAi
Fri, 03-17-2006, 12:54 AM
Yeah, Lunar have dropped this!
What episode did they get upto?
Finally, which version should i get now?

Darth Arrow
Fri, 03-17-2006, 01:24 AM
Yeah, Lunar have dropped this!
What episode did they get upto?
Finally, which version should i get now?

Two ep special 68-69 was last which they had up on scarywater... According to AniDB they had ep 70 subbed too but I haven't seen it anywhere, maybe it was on IRC channel but I don't use IRC so i don't know...

Kraco
Fri, 03-17-2006, 02:25 AM
http://a.scarywater.net/lunar/

Looks like Lunar dropped it. Check out their torrents on the Scarywater link, Bleach is nowhere to be found.

Actually Bleach is somewhere to be found (mentioned):

Bleach 175.41MiB [2101CD82] LICENSED by Viz Media

Tiger of The wind
Fri, 03-17-2006, 04:09 PM
akeep still has bleach on thier list i dont know why though

http://a.scarywater.net/akeep/

woofcat
Fri, 03-17-2006, 10:10 PM
Well i am glad the DB subs it since they don't care about it being licenced. Well i assume they don't since naruto is licenced.

Gu1dry
Sat, 03-18-2006, 12:05 AM
well on mininova.org...the highest lunar eps they have is 69....o well...dont like DB so i guess ill waited 4 the dvds...its not like i have the high spped net ne more 2 dl them :(

aznroyale
Sat, 03-18-2006, 12:41 AM
this suck ballz, was planing to have Bleach the same sub...-___-

Yukimura
Sat, 03-18-2006, 12:53 AM
Well at least it happened during this filler nonsense so it doesn't hurt as much to lose Lunar. I've got all the good Bleach, which is enough I guess. DB isn't bad, while on the other hand Hell is not so good in my opinion.

aznimperialx
Sat, 03-18-2006, 01:57 AM
i thought everyone uses DB, whats wrong with DB?

Carnage
Sat, 03-18-2006, 11:22 AM
Nothing. Its just that Lunar is better :p

DarthEnderX
Sun, 03-19-2006, 12:48 AM
DB has a tendency to use the japanese word for something a little bit too often.

I remember in particular the episode where Aizen explains the thing inside Rukia was especially difficult to understand because every other word was still in japanese because DB decides not to translate the words for things like faux-body and spirit energy etc.

Kraco
Sun, 03-19-2006, 03:10 AM
i thought everyone uses DB, whats wrong with DB?

this suck ballz, was planing to have Bleach the same sub...

Considering this point the answer is also pretty clear: DB wasn't there for a long time, when Bleach started. They got into the business around ep 50, or something. I wasn't planning on getting Lunar's filler episodes, but I would have liked to get back to Lunar after the fillers are again over. Mainly because all my eps archived before the fillers are from Lunar.

masamuneehs
Sun, 03-19-2006, 07:12 AM
I started DLing Dattebayo subs since I really am not picky at all about my fansubs and just wanted to get the first version I could that I could trust wouldn't botch translations.

Wasn't Lunar also the one who used absurd amounts of slang in their translations? I remember some group always had Ichimaru Gin "Talkin 'bout stuff like he was from the ghetto and don't know grammar well." And that was sorta cute/novel at first, but they went overboard with it after awhile...

Either way, Lunar's out, DB is still around. Not too much point in lamenting. We all knew Bleach was going to get licensed one of these days, and that when that time came Lunar would drop it. So that's all there is to it.

XanBcoo
Mon, 03-20-2006, 03:13 PM
I have no problems with downloading DB's subs. I was planning on keeping the Lunar episode, but during the end of the SS arc they started to release their episodes rather slowly anyway, so...no problem, really. DB does a decent job in a short amount of time.

Jadugar
Mon, 03-20-2006, 09:01 PM
@ Kraco :

Same here. I wan going to skip the fillers and start downloading Lunar once the anime got back on track with manga.

I am not so keen on DB. They are a good speed sub but like DarthEnder said they use a lot of Japanese words or rather dont bother translating them and its the hard words that they dont sub. Like some attacks used by some characters and I would like to know what that attack meant in English.

@ masamuneehs :

Yes, Lunar did go overboard with some of Gin's lines but the rest of the dialect and language used was completely fitted those characters of Bleach. For example Ichigo's bold way of speaking to his enemies and not giving a fuck, was completely captured in Lunar's translation. Thats what attracted me to their subs.

DB is fine too but I would have liked to have that extra option of downloading Lunar as well. Sometimes I used to watch both versions.

Kraco
Tue, 03-21-2006, 03:55 AM
I think somebody just started the whole "absurd slang" smearing perhaps as a joke or perhaps because he supported DB or Bleach-Society and took things too seriously. Then more people joined the movement for one reason or another. Although it's readily noticeable, nobody can deny that, you have to be predisposed beforehand to dislike it, or it won't bother you that much. It's true few anime titles show such subbing, but during it's best days Bleach was a punk show, so why not.

ShinobiNeko
Wed, 03-22-2006, 11:32 AM
Well, i find it a bit dissapointing that it was liscened by Viz though Yes i did assume that they would due to the whole shounen jump tie in. I think it sucks because of the way it seems they have been handeling some of the other shounen jump tie in's such as Naruto. From what I have seen when I looked at the Naruto and One Piece DVDs, they only have the s****y edited tv versions with no japanese tract, only the english version. <I had planned on trying to get Naruto on DVD (since would be better quality for collecting the show) but there is no way i'd buy a crappy version with no sub and I can only assume they'd treat bleach the same and only have the english version once it goes on DVD. (which im hoping since they mention it might be a adult swim show that they would give it a japanese tract also, but really cant say). <i find it ironic how in their magazine they try to promote japanese language with 'japanese lessons' in their magazine , and yet when you look at their DVD versions of anime that they run their manga counterparts, (Naruto, One Piece) there is only and edited english version -_- . In the end i'll just be sticking with Dattebayo's sub and watch Bleach as I have been through them and Naruto come April.
(sorry for any typos I might have missed...in Germany right now on vacation and their keyboard set up is different >.< ...)

XanBcoo
Wed, 03-22-2006, 12:26 PM
Well, i find it a bit dissapointing that it was liscened by Viz though Yes i did assume that they would due to the whole shounen jump tie in. I think it sucks because of the way it seems they have been handeling some of the other shounen jump tie in's such as Naruto. From what I have seen when I looked at the Naruto and One Piece DVDs, they only have the s****y edited tv versions with no japanese tract, only the english version. <I had planned on trying to get Naruto on DVD (since would be better quality for collecting the show) but there is no way i'd buy a crappy version with no sub and I can only assume they'd treat bleach the same and only have the english version once it goes on DVD. (which im hoping since they mention it might be a adult swim show that they would give it a japanese tract also, but really cant say). <i find it ironic how in their magazine they try to promote japanese language with 'japanese lessons' in their magazine , and yet when you look at their DVD versions of anime that they run their manga counterparts, (Naruto, One Piece) there is only and edited english version -_- . In the end i'll just be sticking with Dattebayo's sub and watch Bleach as I have been through them and Naruto come April.
(sorry for any typos I might have missed...in Germany right now on vacation and their keyboard set up is different >.< ...)
Dammit, I really wish people would stop making things up. Viz is releasing uncut Naruto dvds with both English and Japanese language tracks and will most likely...no, undoubtedly do the same thing with Bleach seeing as how Bleach has a slightly older target audience.

For the record, Viz != 4kids. Yes, 4kids gave One Piece a hack-job, get over it. The same thing isn't happening with Naruto.

ImitationSanen
Thu, 03-23-2006, 01:57 AM
This seems like good news. However I still feel a sudden chill coming down my neck, I hope they dont use the same VA for Ichigo as they did for Inuyasha. He has a nice whiny nasal voice that works perfect for Inu, but thats just not how ichigo talks. The english language just sounds silly when they try to imitate the emotion of the japanese VAs, but I wont pass judgement till I hear it.

Naruto_RNG
Thu, 03-23-2006, 10:32 PM
I've always watched DB subs so it doesn't matter to me. I find DB better then Luner for some reason. I don't know wut's the point of dubing this anime? its going to be one of those f***ed up series they have out right now. its a shame to let such a good series go to waste. I hate dubs. I've seen naruto dubed, and if it was my first time watching naruto I would change the show. VA don't even know how to pronounce the stuff right. this sucks.
I'm sending Viz some hate mails. going to do it everyday till their mail server fills up.

Maverick-DBZ-
Sun, 03-26-2006, 11:21 PM
My comment is to an earlier post. Lunars last Bleach episode was 70. A quote below that explains it in detail.

"We had finished an encode of the episode the Sunday before licensing. However, during predistro, an editing error was found and the encode was recalled. However, for about 20 or so minutes, one of the bots in the main channel was serving it and somewhere in the neighborhood of 70 people dl'ed before it was shutdown.

In any case, it is a sub by Lunar, however, it was meant to be recalled and replaced as soon as the encoder had gotten his computer put back together again. So there's the story"

To Lunar it's an unofficial episode due to the typo. I haven't seen the episode myself so I don't know where the error is. It's already spread like wild fire and can be found at the usual places.

Darth Arrow
Mon, 03-27-2006, 10:30 AM
Lunars last Bleach episode was 70.

I suppose there never was a H264/OGG .mkv version available then, eh? Ah well, XVID/MP3 .avi is about as good as H264 one so doesn't really matter... :p

Niteshade
Mon, 03-27-2006, 04:08 PM
DB has a tendency to use the japanese word for something a little bit too often.

I remember in particular the episode where Aizen explains the thing inside Rukia was especially difficult to understand because every other word was still in japanese because DB decides not to translate the words for things like faux-body and spirit energy etc.

That is especially what I like about DB subs. For me it feels watered down or that something is 'lost in translation' when I see too many things translated to the English sentence structure. I have a rudimentary understanding of Japanese sentence structure and I guess that is why I like it. I like to immerse myself in the Anime and maintaining the structure and words helps a lot.

I have swapped out to mostly DB subs.

Maverick-DBZ-
Mon, 03-27-2006, 04:08 PM
I suppose there never was a H264/OGG .mkv version available then, eh? Ah well, XVID/MP3 .avi is about as good as H264 one so doesn't really matter... :p

Nope guess not...

It would have been nice though, as a good bye present or something. ;)

aznimperialx
Thu, 03-30-2006, 06:00 PM
From ANN:

Viz Media has informed us that they have "secured from worldwide licensors, TV Tokyo Corporation and Shueisha Inc., the television, home video and merchandising rights to Shonen Jump's Bleach in the Americas, Europe and Oceania."

Viz is the Bleach master licensor and expects to announce television broadcast and other licensing partners "shortly." John Easum, executive vice president of Viz Media, stated, "Working together with Viz Media B.V. in Europe, we look forward to making Bleach a global success.”

No specifics about the home video release are available yet.

In a bid to bolster programming for its expanded anim&#233; block, which now includes three weeknight premieres at 12:30 a.m., Adult Swim has locked in two representatives of the genre with Eureka Seven (out April 15) and Bleach (out fall 2006). It also returns InuYasha to its Tuesday night slot.

XanBcoo
Thu, 03-30-2006, 06:46 PM
aznimperialx beat me to it :p.

I think this is great news. Now that Bleach is going to air on AdultSwim, that means it will get practically 0 editing. It also means that it will most likely make Bleach way more popular among non-anime viewers. This is the best thing that could have happened to this series' U.S. release.

masamuneehs
Thu, 03-30-2006, 09:04 PM
not that I'm going to watch the Bleach dub (unless I happen to catch it on) but I do also think this should be a good thing. Adult Swim is the ONLY place for anime to get exposure without undergoing major editting (unless it's very tame in the first place) in the US. Bleach AND e7, adultswim is doing good for itself!

DarthEnderX
Sat, 04-01-2006, 07:21 PM
This makes me happy.

Yukimura
Sun, 04-02-2006, 08:00 AM
Sweet, my Saturday night is reborn, now I won't have to worry about how sad it is to spend every Saturday night sitting at home watching Anime until 4AM. If E7 replaces FMA reruns, then I'll be a happy camper once again.

Any word out on who will actually do the dubbing?

Zidoas
Sun, 04-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Bleach as an anime got licensed pretty quickly. Guess it was gaining much audience.

And here I was waiting for Lunar thinking wtf happened :mad:

Anyhow... thank goodness for DB.

Well at least now that some of my friends that are scared of downloading anything online can share the bleach experience.