PDA

View Full Version : Computer Cases

t1no
Wed, 03-08-2006, 01:18 AM
Aluminum Cases, are they the best for heat? The one i have right now is made out of plastic, and it is always hot when i touch it.

masamuneehs
Wed, 03-08-2006, 08:22 AM
....did you really need to make a topic for this? Go with whatever fits in your budget man.

Ero-Fan
Wed, 03-08-2006, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by: masamuneehs
....did you really need to make a topic for this? Go with whatever fits in your budget man.

I agree. And your method of cooling makes more of a difference then the case itself. The more fans, the cooler it will be. Liquid cooled would be the best, but it can be a pain for a novice to use.
Edit: This question would have probably been better recieved if you asked it in the official help me thread instead of making a new thread.

Kraco
Wed, 03-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by: Ero-Fan
your method of cooling makes more of a difference then the case itself.

This is true, but not the whole truth. The case design affects greatly how well the active cooling (fans) works. A crappy design wouldn't allow the air to flow intelligently through the case, and the excess heat wouldn't be removed efficiently.

However, this has little to do with the material of the case. Maybe an aluminium case with its superior heat conductivity would enhance passive heat dissipation a few percents, but that hardly matters in the end.

Masamuneehs gave the best piece of advice...

Ero-Fan
Wed, 03-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by: Kraco

Originally posted by: Ero-Fan
your method of cooling makes more of a difference then the case itself.

This is true, but not the whole truth. The case design affects greatly how well the active cooling (fans) works. A crappy design wouldn't allow the air to flow intelligently through the case, and the excess heat wouldn't be removed efficiently.

Yes, well, I assumed that went without saying. If the cases only has one place for a fan and its on the bottom of the case, its probably not going to do as much. And most cases are designed almost exactly the same. Its just the location and number of fans that the case allows for. Of course, if you go with one of those little box cases made for traveling.... hell, I don't even know if they sell them anymore.
Here: If you live in the US, here's a cheap ass case Case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811124111)
From what I could see, it had 3 locations for fans. Two in the back, one on the side. I personally have 5 fans on my tower, and it blows out cold air most of the time, so..
Edit: The fan numbers are for external fans. CPU fans, GC fans, etc. are just as important, if not more so.
Also, if you stick your pc in an area with no ventilation, your screwed. Then it doesn't matter how many fans you got.
Edit 2: Since I'm such a nice guy (waits for laughing to subside) I found my case here (http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50918731&pfp=BROWSE) . God, work is slow today. Mine is silver.

Assertn
Wed, 03-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Get a thermaltake case at newegg.
They have the neatest designs and function very well for airflow and hardware mounting.

http://www.safenet.com/images/LANFIRE.jpg
That's the case I have. Comes with 4 case fans controllable by those 4 knobs at the top. (Although I can't hear the fans even at full speed)
It also tells the cpu temperature in the blue panel at the top. Mine pretty consistently registers at around 30C.
Also has front usb/firewire, and that emblem on the bottom middle lights up with a toggle switch inside o.O

The important thing is to get a case with the consideration of what hardware you plan to put in it. If you have a mobo that supports front-side USB, then you should get a case that supports front-side USB. If you have lots of hard drives, then get a taller case, etc.

Edit: If I were to go out and buy a new case right now, I'd consider getting this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...p?Item=N82E16811146017 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811146017)

2x USB 2, mic, firewire, headphone front ports
500W power supply
screwless installation
3 temp display
carry strap
4 case fans
dust filters
hard drive bays that face the case opening
I can't really think of what this case DOESNT have

Although I'd probably buy the PS-less version for $50 less, since I already have a kickass antec one.

complich8
Wed, 03-08-2006, 04:52 PM
All other things (case design, components inside) being approximately the same, an aluminum case will buy you typically 1-2 degrees celsius cooler processor temperature.

On the other hand, aluminum cases tend to be noisier, because aluminum tends to rattle and flex more than a steel case, slightly amplifying the noise levels. A good aluminum case (ie: a well-constructed one) will generally avoid much of this effect, though. Your mileage may vary by manufacturer.

If I were evaluating a case to buy right now, as far as cooling goes I'd have two conditions. 2x80mm or 1x120mm front case fans (intake, near the bottom), and 1x92 or 1x120mm fan in the back, mounted near where the processor and hsf assembly will sit. The larger the fan, the quieter the fan (because it can spin at a lower rpm to move the same volume of air).

Then, I'd also have other conditions ... like front-accessible USB/headphone/mic access built into the case, ample space for a power supply, easy-access design, ample space for drives (ie: if you have 3 or 4 disks in there, not having to cram them right up next to each other, giving them room to breathe and stay cool).

Incidentally, the case Assertn linked matches those criteria pretty nicely, and looks kinda slick too.

Board of Command
Wed, 03-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Chenming cases are very good in terms of air flow. They're very big (might be a turn-off though) so your cables don't get in the way of air flow, and also makes it very easy to work inside the case. Big downside with their cases is that they have 2x80 intake, 80mm side intake and 2x80 outtake. It would be nice if they're just 1x120 and 1x120 because 5 fans generated quite a bit of noise. I'm using cheap $0.99 fans so that's just adding fuel to the fire.

I have a Chieftec case (rebadged Chenming) and although it looks like a piece of shit, it functions great and I have no regrets spending $50 on it. Most people probably don't want a very big case, but I personally enjoy using it as a little table. "Real" Chenming cases are pretty expensive and I don't know why.
http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5080/asdf8kr.jpg