PDA

View Full Version : The Complete Snowboarding Thread!

Sun, 03-05-2006, 06:55 PM
Hey guys, which one of you are snowboarding nuts or just enjoy the sport enuff to rant about it? Talk about your home mountains, experiences, your setup, great deals, or maybe setting up group trips whatever u want

I started this thread because I'm looking for my first board and I want some help from u guys if you know anything about boards...

Anyways, to complete my first set ever, I'm looking to match up a kick ass board... here are some info about me.

Height: 5' 8.5" (175cm)
Weight: 136lbs (62kgs)
Feet size: 26.5cm (US 8.5)
Stance: regular
Been riding for 5 years on and off.... Intermediate level... still trying to make sure I make no skidded turns even at slow speeds. I am looking for an all mountain board... I want my board to give me room for riding switch, hitting the park, half pipe etc.
I guess ideally my board will be directional twin
price range about $250
My boots are the Salomon FDBs don't know if that matters. Is there any other info I should put up here to help you pros figure out what I need?

*** board research ***

so my preliminary research is done !!

guys pls help me start eliminating some boards that are not suitable for me... I'm looking for the all mountain board ... expecting to pay less than $250... also, if you know anything about the boards I mentioned, pls give me ur 2 cents... also tell me if i'm missing anything that is superb.

basically, i went to boardreviews.com, and checked out all the companies which ppl rated as a 9 or 10.

italized boards are the ones i got eliminated... if you feel they shouldn't, tell me!

highlighted, bolded = recommended boards

newest updates
1) decided to stay away from small companies for now.
2) I think a light board will fit me better... but something that can really carve up some ice! (at high speeds too! no chatter pls!)

there were also many companies like lib-tech, sims, santa cruz, rome, etc. which I didn't understand the description very well.

airtime - *cosmic joe*
price range - $180 - $250
great price / value... liked the description Sorry ur com. is too small

arbor - *element (thx e)* , draft
price range $200 up

atlantis - silo sorry ur company is too small

burton - air, custom
price range - $300

capita - lifestyle, LCW
price range - n/a (harder to find) small company

atomic - *discharger* (liked the description), alibi, cold smoke
price range - discharger - $200
Alibi, cold smoke - $300 up

forum - re: mx , joni malmi
re: mx - n/a , joni malmi - $300 up just doesn't sound like the thing for me

k2 - access, push, zeppelin, recon riser
price: access - $200 push - $200 up
zeppelin - $250
recon riser - $250

never summer - system, sl
both boards are more geared towards the park. company seems to make
boards that are more extreme ends of spectrum
price - $350

option - redline
price - $250

rome - **anthem (recommended by rome blue rider Fae & SnoChica)*
Thanks Fae for the term definitions!

rossignol - wanted, avalon, scope
price: $200

The following companies I had a tough time understanding the lingo but get an idea of what boards might fit me:

salomon - ace, link, pulse

nitro - resistance, *suprateam (thx e)

palmer - honeycircle, centric
price - n/a (seems expensive)

ride - control, havoc, decade, timeless, prophet, no.4

These companies are hopeless for the untrained eye and snowboard lingo

lib-tech
claims revolutionary technologym, worth checking out

nidecker
slightly cheaper boards
price - $200

sims

santa cruz
loads of all mountain

FrogKing
Mon, 03-06-2006, 07:13 PM
I thought I would take this one since I can't see too many gwters as snowboarders. I started skiing when I was four and switched over to snowboarding when I was about 14 and have been riding ever since (about 16 years). I mainly ride the Lake Tahoe are in California (the home of snowboarding ah the days of riding at the ONLY snowboard friendly resort...Donner Ski Ranch), but have ventured to many of the Western slopes. I spent about 2 years working and riding in Tahoe. After which, I used to work as a tech (re: board doctor) for a local shop and did some retail.
After reading your post I had to think back to how many boards I have ridden and/or owned. Owned: 12 (Sims Halfpipe, Burton Air 5 , Avalanche Damien Dagger, Joyride, Lamar Andy Hetzle, Burton Custom, Division 23 Devon Walsh, K2 Fatboy, Salomon 400LT Freestyle, Salomon 450, Salomon Fastback '02, Salomon Fastback '04). Demo'd: countless. Needless to say, I have been happiest with the Salomon Fastback (I think it is the Forecast for '05) series; best all mountain board with shitloads of pop from the kevlar reinforced tail for big air!
When it comes to boards these days unfortunately price has a lot to do with overall performance. For example the p-Tex 4000 Gallium bases are much faster than the pTex 900 base, price difference about $100-150. In todays market if your company sucks, then you don't last. Nobody is willing to shell out $250-700 on a piece of shit. Word travels fast and companies sink which is why it is a little risky going out and buying a board from a relatively new company. Then again, new companies usually offer lower prices for similar performing boards as say a company like Burton. About Burton, you get a solid product but you will have to pay extra for it. So, unless you have absolutely no other choices (i.e. can't find the right size/priced board from a competitor) then stretch you budget for Burton; you can't go wrong 'cause they make good (but expensive) shit. When I go and get a board, I go to my friendly rep and get a board for cost (perks of hookups), so I shoot for the high end, performance boards. Be careful not to get s cheap board that won't help you develop your skills (i.e. a board that has a bad wood core that gets soggy/limp after a season!).
So how do you find a good board without getting reamed in the pocket book you ask? One option is to wait till the latter part of the season (about now) and go and get a good board from a local shop at %40 off clearance priced. Or, wait till the summer when the prices bottom out. Down side: sizes and models are dictated by the shops sales so finding exactly what you are looking for is difficult.
On top of all that, make sure your board fits both your budget and lifestyle. In other words if you only go up a handful of times and are just having fun with friends while riding the bunny/blue slopes, then look for a cheaper board (clearance marked or on ebay). However I will say that if you get a good board and are looking to get better and have friends that are constantly pushing you to ride harder, then once you get a board you'll go more often and have more fun.
I have marked with a > under each company and gave you my opinion. If you have any other questions drop me a pm or respond here. Good luck!

FK

edit: If there are any GWers in the area (Nor Cal) and ride; drop me a line and we can hook up. I have been passholding at Kirkwood for the past 4 years and it has some of the best terrain in Tahoe (second to Squaw).

Originally posted by: 010577
airtime - *cosmic joe*
price range - $180 - $250
great price / value... liked the description
>Never heard of them, but might be worth looking into

arbor - *element (thx e)* , draft
price range $200 up
>They used to use the Ride timeless core and just put their topsheet on it; now they have their own press machines. I have heard they use good wood cores.

atlantis - silo
>N/A

burton - air, custom
price range - $300
>Can't go wrong with the Custom...I have ridden both the Air and the Custom and they were solid. Personally, I'd go with the Custom. Down side, pricey.

capita - lifestyle, LCW
price range - n/a (harder to find)

atomic - *discharger* (liked the description), alibi, cold smoke
price range - discharger - $200
Alibi, cold smoke - $300 up
>One of many ski companies that went into snowboarding. Never really liked their skis but some people swear by them so...

forum - re: mx , joni malmi
re: mx - n/a , joni malmi - $300 up
>Relatively new company. Very popular amonst the kiddies and rail junkies.

k2 - access, push, zeppelin, recon riser
price: access - $200 push - $200 up
zeppelin - $250
recon riser - $250
>See atomic comments

never summer - system, sl
both boards are more geared towards the park. company seems to make
boards that are more extreme ends of spectrum
price - $350
>Never summer high end boards are known as tanks. They can take a beating, but are super heavy. I don't know about their low end boards.

option - redline
price - $250
>Newer company. Don't have too much experience in their gear, but I see quite a few in the Tahoe area.

rome - **anthem (recommended by rome blue rider Fae & SnoChica)*
Thanks Fae for the term definitions!
>New company. I like their gear, but they lean a little more towards the freestyle/jib market.

rossignol - wanted, avalon, scope
price: $200
>See K2 and Atomi comments. Add on: I do not like Rossignol boards. They have always marketed in low end retail and I have felt they have been a year or two behind the technology (re: cheap shit).

The following companies I had a tough time understanding the lingo but get an idea of what boards might fit me:

salomon - ace, link, pulse
>Another ski company gone snowboarding. Personally, my favorite board company. Excellent technology and products that last. I have personal experience in their higher end gear, but they too offer a wide variety of boards for all levels and wallets.

nitro - resistance, *suprateam (thx e)
>Garbage IMO, but one of my close friends has one and has never complained.

palmer - honeycircle, centric
price - n/a (seems expensive)
>Expensive, but super light and very strong (Honeycomb core).

ride - control, havoc, decade, timeless, prophet, no.4
>Solid company. Been around a while and offer a good range of boards for many levels. I haven't ridden one but I know many who have and like them.

These companies are hopeless for the untrained eye and snowboard lingo

lib-tech
claims revolutionary technologym, worth checking out
>Garbage IMO (re: soft cores that are way too flexible for me).

nidecker
slightly cheaper boards
price - $200
>N/A

sims
>The last sims I rode was in 1988, so my knowledge lacks a little on their stuff.

santa cruz
loads of all mountain
>Solid all round company. See my comments for Ride.

Tue, 03-07-2006, 12:13 AM
yo fk thx for helping me out! I really needed it...

I'm going for my first board and I'll definitely take ur advice from straying away from the tiny companies... It is also hard to gather so much research on so many boards so every comment counts

also can't wait till summer to get my boards coz there's still some snowboarding action left this season for me to get to!

Edit

btw, I'm gonna stick to updating my list on the original forum i put it up on, snowboardaddicts.com... thx man and if u have anything else to add, please do!

OH i forgot to say I'm living in NY so east coast ppl if u wanna ride, let me know!

Hey FK can u hook me up with any discounted prices etc? I'm really looking to buy something real soon