PDA

View Full Version : Fullmetal Alchemist Dub

Assassin
Sat, 03-04-2006, 12:13 AM
So i just saw the dub on YTV here in canada a few hours ago. i could've sworn i saw the funimation logo at the end, but the episode didn't seem half bad. All the voices seemed decent, although not great. Ed's voice was a little heavy though. I think its the same person that does the voice for inuyasha. Still, all in all it wasn't half as bad as the naruto dub. I hope it stays uncrappy, cuz this is actually a half decent series.

Opinions?

NineTailsKitsu
Sat, 03-04-2006, 02:23 AM
No, Ed isn't voiced by Inu-Yasha. He's voiced by Vic Mignogna (also did the voice for Broly in DBZ, Bui in Yu Yu Hakusho and Tatsunosuke Ichimura in Peacemaker.), who has done many voices for both Funimation and Geneon/Pioneer. Yes, its done by Funimation and IMO Fullmetal was the beginning of Funi's change in direction for dubbing, with FMA being kept very true to the original version, and the casting was impeccable. If you've seen DBZ or YYH, you'll recognize quite a few voices from them in FMA.

Watch the whole series, its one of the better ones out there.

Assassin
Sat, 03-04-2006, 07:30 PM
i've already seen the series, and yes it was good. I just meant i hope they dont screw it up since its a good one, and more ppl should get to see it.

I really should watch the fma movie, i've been delaying it for so long

gr3atfull
Sun, 03-12-2006, 11:18 AM
What a great anime! I love it! Alphonse is really cute! I really like the opening song, anyone knows what its called?

Arcn3ss
Sun, 03-12-2006, 01:15 PM
So i just saw the dub on YTV here in canada a few hours ago. i could've sworn i saw the funimation logo at the end, but the episode didn't seem half bad. All the voices seemed decent, although not great. Ed's voice was a little heavy though. I think its the same person that does the voice for inuyasha. Still, all in all it wasn't half as bad as the naruto dub. I hope it stays uncrappy, cuz this is actually a half decent series.

Opinions?

I gotta agree with you Assassin on the choice of Ed's voice. It's far too heavy for his character. They pick an alright choice for Al's voice tho. I wonder if they are going to change the opening as time goes on. They only used the first opening edited on Gundam Seed, when they aired it on YTV. I gotta feeling FMA wont be any different, since they have already skipped the first opening and used the second opening instead.

I still like the japanese version hands down. Ed's japanese voice just kicks too much ass :P

Tekkaman Vigorot
Sun, 03-12-2006, 01:34 PM
You have to remember who actually hosts these shows though. Full Metal Alchemist is aired by Adult Swim, usually, whatever they air tends to stay more true to the content of the anime. Naruto is aired by Toonami, though it's a definet improvement over say Kids WB, Fox Box, they don't have the same freedoms as Adult Swim because they still are catering to a younger audience, thus many things will have to be edited like wise. So, it's not only translating, they have to keep in mind who's going to be airing these shows.

Yes, I'm fully aware it's all Cartoon Network, but note all the times these shows tend to be aired, more child friendly shows early, more of the good stuff very late night. If only Naruto was being aired by Adult Swim, we would've heard a lot more swearing Sakura from her fits.

Nai
Sun, 03-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Ed's japanese voice just kicks too much ass :P
Doesn't it just? Romi Pak is a freakin' goddess. She alone can make me love an anime.

As for the dub, personally I can't stand it. Ed's voice doesn't fit the character at all.

XanBcoo
Mon, 03-13-2006, 08:38 PM
Vic Mignogna is one of my favorite voice actors, so I'm partial to Ed's voice, even though it does seem a little deep for his body. The guy's just a top notch actor, and has made Ed's character his own imo.

BioAlien
Tue, 03-14-2006, 08:31 AM
are there more episode after episode 51?
and the dub is fine

Ero-Fan
Tue, 03-14-2006, 08:56 AM
and the dub is fine

I like the dub for the reason that Al in Japanese felt like a spike going through my head. And yes, there are only 51 episodes. I think the movies actually go further in the plot, but I'm not sure.

Yukimura
Tue, 03-14-2006, 05:04 PM
and the dub is fine

There is a sort of wrap-up/recap special, download it, watch it, cry over all the old good parts again. It features at least 3 of the ops and the a couple full playings of some of the best songs in the series to clip shows. The is new content so check it out.

There is also the Movie Conqeror of Shambala, which takes place after the series, download it, watch it and cry over all the new good parts. Make sure you download on of the newer DVD based subs though, I tried that handCAM shit, and almost slit my wrists.

To the YTV people, They switch openings eventually on AS so they'll probobly do it on yours too.

mage
Tue, 03-14-2006, 06:03 PM
The FMA dub is the best I've seen hands down. The voices are all good except for Al's, IMO.

Splash!
Tue, 03-14-2006, 06:20 PM
How many dubbed episodes are available so far? last time i checked it was around 41 or something

The Heretic Azazel
Tue, 03-14-2006, 07:11 PM
I think the FMA dubs have been wrapped up. At least, I heard episode 50 already aired, so there might still be one to go.

Very hit or miss series with me, the non-action tends to get really boring. Scar kicks ass though.

XanBcoo
Tue, 03-14-2006, 11:35 PM
I just watched episode 50 on Adult Swim (omg, I can't wait for the last episode since this is my first time watching it), so I assume the last episode has been dubbed.

I don't know about the movie, but it's logical to assume Funi has or will license it.

rockmanj
Wed, 03-15-2006, 12:05 AM
There is a sort of wrap-up/recap special, download it, watch it, cry over all the old good parts again. It features at least 3 of the ops and the a couple full playings of some of the best songs in the series to clip shows. The is new content so check it out.

There is also the Movie Conqeror of Shambala, which takes place after the series, download it, watch it and cry over all the new good parts. Make sure you download on of the newer DVD based subs though, I tried that handCAM shit, and almost slit my wrists.

To the YTV people, They switch openings eventually on AS so they'll probobly do it on yours too.

i kind of have mixed feelings about the movie; and the subs i had (which were the ones provided on the DVD) were a bit confusing. I dont like to have to think while watching :o

Ero-Fan
Wed, 03-15-2006, 08:14 AM
I just watched episode 50 on Adult Swim (omg, I can't wait for the last episode since this is my first time watching it), so I assume the last episode has been dubbed.

I don't know about the movie, but it's logical to assume Funi has or will license it.

I can't wait to see your reaction to the last episode. I know mine was priceless. I won't say more than that, since I don't want to sway you one way or the other.