PDA

View Full Version : Naruto - Couple Questions + ...

Canadian
Mon, 02-20-2006, 07:17 PM
Naruto is an awsom series. I don't have much to elaborate on, so I'll get down to the point: What would <u>you</u> think if eventually a second Naruto series (like Dragonball to Drabonball-Z) were to come out, where time had passed by a 10 or so years? Do you think it would work out?

Also, I have a weird thing to point out:

In episode 92, at about 19:24 (by the AonE DL), Naruto is jumping from tree to tree upside down... what's with that?

**EDIT** In addition, during the episode when Naruto and Sasuke fight (Sasuke actually tries to kill Naruto, and Naruto uses the Nine-Tailed Fox's powers), did anyone else notice a change in animation from one episode to the next (I forget the specific episode numbers), but the faces and animation kind of change in style slightly (kinda a weird change...)

darkmetal505
Mon, 02-20-2006, 08:02 PM
i hope naruto doesnt go dbz.

He jumped like that because he felt like it, I guess. He's already learned how to stick to objects by sending chakra to his feet.

Dug88
Mon, 02-20-2006, 08:12 PM
That would be kinda shitty if they pulled a dbz with Naruto they should just have it as one series and thats all.

Canadian
Mon, 02-20-2006, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by: Dug88
That would be kinda shitty if they pulled a dbz with Naruto they should just have it as one series and thats all.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking.

What I'm hoping is that they continue Naruto for atleast another 100-150 more episodes before they do something way different. Though, if they did do that time-jump thing like Dragonball to Dragonball-Z... I wouldn't object if it meant more Naruto episodes (I'm going to hate to see the day when Naruto is officially finished).

[EDIT] When I look back at it, Dragonball-Z probably peaked (in being cool) once the battle against Frieza was finished, and Goku became super-seiyan (there were other good ones after it, but it was great up until then, as I remember it). It would suck to see Naruto peak, and then take on that idea of "let's increase his power 10 fold and see how the audience likes it...".

NineTailsKitsu
Tue, 02-21-2006, 07:29 AM
I highly doubt that Naruto will go the way of Dragonball, mostly do to the fact that Kishimoto is a big fan of Akira Toriyama and more than likely came to the conclusion that the reason why Toriyama isn't doing much akin to Dragonball Z anymore, as to what happens when you turn your series from comedy to Action/Martial Arts.

As for the Naruto/Sasuke fight: Most of the really big fights are done by a differen't animator. I'm not sure what his name is, though....

Strider
Tue, 02-21-2006, 12:05 PM
I cannot remember their name now, but I believe they were a Korean animation studio that did all the big fights, or very nice looking ones -- Sasuke v. Orochimaru, Rock Lee v. Gaara, Naruto v. Sasuke, etc.

I do not see this series going the route of Dragonball. However, if it were I would expect it to follow suit with Dragonball in the sense that the first series will be it in its prime, and anything thereafter or done substantially later will hold no weight in comparison to the series we currently have.

And, I think Naruto was jumping upside-down, just to show off his goofiness in even that moment.

masamuneehs
Tue, 02-21-2006, 01:41 PM
I am going to jump out and disagree, just for the sake of disagreeing, with sentiments that Naruto won't go the path of DBZ.

First, let's see, there's already solid proof that Naruto IS ALREADY going down that path: the fillers.

The fillers are a way of drawing out Naruto, making it longer than what it really is. DBZ used to draw out the fights not by including entirely irrelevant (not from the manga) storylines, but by drawing out the battles. Long pans from fighter to fighter, focus on the eyes, focus on the other's eyes. Comment from peanut gallery character A, comment from B. Some verbal barbs traded between the fighters. More drawn out staring. More peanut gallery. Throw in an episode of Powering Up here and there.

Naruto has obviously learned from DBZ, drawing out the actual plotline can hurt a show. DBZ tried to create too much tension, drag things out for too long, and that was one of its biggest flaws. Naruto simply saves all the crap for fillers and then does a good job when the actual story is being shown. The problem with this is that, if fillers continue, the number of filler episodes will surpass the number based on the manga. What then can be said about Naruto as a show?

Naruto = DBZ with time jumps. Well, the first time jump is coming up... but its not that big of a jump.
I wouldn't be surprised if/when Kishimoto decides he is done with Naruto (done writing the manga, done with the anime, done with the concept) that he sells the rights to create a 'GT' series based off Naruto. Maybe Naruto's grandkids or some crap like that. Someone in Japan already probably has some kind of scheme to create a knock-off like that (or some spin-off like an entire series dedicated to Zabuza &amp; Haku) because they believe it can make them big $

That's the other thing. $, green, loot, paper. Everyone wants it. Don't be surprised if Naruto the show declines in quality (in all regards) if it means making someone some more money. Need to sell some more character dolls? Bring back some characters for a filler arc. That crack animation team demands too much money? Cut them and get the filler monkeys to do it. Naruto ends and you smell demand for more? I smell a sequel/prequel.

Other Naruto/DBZ comparisons:

"Power levels" = Bloodline limits/Curse Seals
If you don't see this similarity you're retarded. Substaintial increases in power in Naruto also have changes in characters' physical properties. Naruto looks more like a fox, Goku goes super saiyan. Sasuke gets gay wings, Cell looks more like the android he swallowed. Freeza turns into a different form, Gaara transforms. Let's hope Naruto doesn't start using too much "Raising power level" scenes and related banter.

I could draw a parallel between Goku/Gohan and Naruto as far as 'goofy, righteous, insanely strong with a demon/alien element to them', but that also seems to be every other hero in anime...

Only bad guys die. Ok, ok, the 3rd is an exception. Granted, but the guy was fucking ancient anyway. But seriously, remember in DBZ when someone would die? Tons of drama. But then there were the Dragonballs! (aka Konoha medical team) and the person was back to life again! OR, if a character really bit the dust in DBZ they'd still get to join the peanut gallery up in the sky with King Kai.

Remember I'm doing this for the sake of arguing. Almost all of my points don't have any concrete proof that Naruto will go in the direction of DBZ. But it is also a very general and subjective matter...

The Heretic Azazel
Tue, 02-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Congratulations you've drawn parallels between Naruto and every single shounen story ever.

Besides, fillers are ending soon, the story is what counts, if you can't accept that then what's the point of looking forward to the second part of the story? It will be back better than ever and now that the manga is leaps and bounds ahead of the anime, it should be smooth sailing for quite some time.

XanBcoo
Tue, 02-21-2006, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by: masamuneehs
Naruto = DBZ with time jumps. Well, the first time jump is coming up... but its not that big of a jump.
Actually, Dragonball had a time jump of about 3 years. I wouldn't be suprised if that's where Kishimoto got the idea. Anyway, enough of the DBZ parallels...

**EDIT** In addition, during the episode when Naruto and Sasuke fight (Sasuke actually tries to kill Naruto, and Naruto uses the Nine-Tailed Fox's powers), did anyone else notice a change in animation from one episode to the next (I forget the specific episode numbers), but the faces and animation kind of change in style slightly (kinda a weird change...)
Strider is right, there have been many episodes done by this guy:Norio Matsumoto (http://www.pelleas.net/animators/#11). These are personally my favorite episodes.

Canadian
Wed, 02-22-2006, 02:57 AM
Hearing masamuneehs talking about the relation between quality/fillers and money, and XanBcoo talking about his favourite episodes being the fighting ones done by Norio Matsumoto... it reminds me of what I was thinking about way earlier: One great quality an anime can have in a fighting scene (though, not limited to fighting scenes) is when the camera moves (pans from right to left, left to right, up to down, circularly, etc.). An example is when Lee fights Gaara; in part of the fight, the camera moves... and it makes for a way better scene. The only problem is probably the money relation... it probably takes much more time and effort to do this with the scene (because as the camera moves, you must change certain things... I think...).

Divinity
Tue, 03-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Ehh... I don't find anything wrong with DBZ. It's still one of my favorite series.

Necromas
Tue, 03-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Though, if they did do that time-jump thing...

You hit the nail on the head, except it's only a 2.5 year time jump. (remember, Oro needed to wait 3 years before taking a new body, so it's skipping ahead to the part where Sasuke is at risk)

Zidarri the Exile
Sat, 03-25-2006, 03:38 AM
In the manga, after Naruto left with Jiriya, they went to the Kakashi Gaiden, and after that, it had Naruto's return in PART 2, which is 2 & a half years later.

About the changing animation. Naruto produces 1 episode a week. The main artists are easily overworked at that rate, and so they substitutes. They work on one or two episodes, and then it's back to the main.