PDA

View Full Version : Fitness and Exercise

Pages : [1] 2 3

masamuneehs
Mon, 02-20-2006, 10:59 AM
Ok. So I don't know how this will play out, but I think it has potential.

I've recently read that one of the best ways to keep in shape is to talk about fitness with your peers. You can get lots of good tips, ideas for new exercises, insight into vices, diet recommendations, the whole kitten-kaboodle.

Starting with your personal fitness/diet plan is a pretty good base. I might as well go first.

1. Diet - That's my problem. I love eating. And I'm not talking salad. I'm talking pizza, fried chicken, ice cream. All those bad things. I also drink alcohol like a fish and can easily take 10 beers a night, maybe 15.

I do stick to only eating three meals a day, although they are lunch, dinner, late night snack. I hear the last one is especially bad because afterwards you just go to sleep and your body doesn't convert that food into anything good.

No soda. This is hard, but I try to stay away from soda and sweet drinks as much as possible. I drink lots of water, but I often wonder if too much water (i drink at least 15 glasses a day) might be part of the reason that I can eat so much, and drink so much booze. Does that kind of water consumption stretch out the stomach?

2. Exercise- Mixed bag here. I try to do 100 pushups everyday. I also recently started doing squats. Crunches are my bane, as my back absolutley hates them and I never see that much improvement. I also hate running (and living in a European city with small streets and idiot drivers also dissuades that), so I don't really have too many exercises to burn off fat.

Can anyone recommend a feasible workout plan that doesn't include weights? Cardio exercises besides running especially would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Terracosmo
Mon, 02-20-2006, 11:59 AM
The choices:

"No, I could be skinnier" - Not because I'm overweight, but because all my idols are asian men who look like schoolgirls. However, since I'm swedish I'm "doomed" to have a muscular build. Most normal men would see this as a blessing, but since I'm.. well.. Terra, I really just want to be a skinny bastard i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif (though I can never be... and trust me, I've tried)

"Average, but out of shape" - I suppose would be the best answer.

This is a funny topic. Currently I don't do jack shit since I'm unemployed and overall full of lust to kill myself, but before I've sporadically engaged in bodybuilding. I used to have "washboard abs" (or at least very close to, I have a hard time getting there easily since I'm - as mentioned above - pretty muscular built, and therefore have more layers to break through before the washboard is visible) but nowadays I lay low. I remember that one of my goals was to benchpress my own weight which I eventually did, but that was a pretty long time ago now. I have quite a bit of experience, though I don't consider myself good enough to fix you up with a workout plan.

My absolutely best tip for you, since I get the image that you just want to "stay in shape" (i.e no grand plans of twisting your body to the limit) is to "take it easy". Yes, take it easy. There is a very easy way to just lose weight without even thinking about why you are doing that. Sure, your exercise helps, but if you just want to lose some unnecessary weight then just do the following:

Change your breakfast and lunch into something healthier. Now I don't necessarily mean "salad", but instead just butter/cheese whatever with a small amount of fat, and some nutritious (sp) bread to accompany it. If you do that, you'll see a change in just a few weeks even though you drink beer and so on. Take me as an example, I don't have that magical "no matter what I eat I don't gain weight" body, I just switched my unhealthy breakfast/lunch bread for a better one and voila, I've lost weight like a moron as of late (even though I didn't really need to lose any to begin with).

Also remember that when you are out drinking, you'll often have to go some distance to get to the club/bar and back (at least that's how it is here) - and that's more exercise then you might think, especially combined with alcohol which will make you forget your hunger i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif (though this might not be good for the body in the long run - but hey, who the hell wants to be 90 anyway).

So all in all, don't remove the stuff you love from your life - but remember, change always comes with a cost. It's just up to you how big that cost is going to be. Does any of this make sense? I hope so.

By the way, take the whole "it's bad to eat when it's late" thing with a grain of salt. Fucking fitness spouting, I hate it! I'm hungry at night and I want my goddamn ramen so there!!!

And finally (for real this time), do drink a LOT of water. It improves your body's ability to sort out food and stuff inside you (I don't know the word for it - metabolism?).

RedX1z
Mon, 02-20-2006, 12:03 PM
i love the idea of this thread, i could use some tips as well since i'm a beginner. anyways, masamuneehs, none of the things i say can help you, because most of them require equipment from the gym and such, sorry..

1. diet - that's not too big of a deal for me. as much as i love eating, i can control it. i stay away from fast food places. no soda? no problem, i just stick to energy drinks and water.

2. excercise - i really can't help you here, because i've joined the gym recently and i mostly use those giant equipments with names i can't remember, but the idea is to concentrate on something one day and concentrate something else on another day. for example, i concentrate on legs on monday, upper body on wedensday to give my legs rest from money, and last, but not least arms on friday. it's best not to do the same thing twice in a row, other wise it'll be pushing yourself too hard and in the end you're the only one getting hurt. when i'm not at the gym, i just do some weights and push ups at home.

PSJ
Mon, 02-20-2006, 12:08 PM
I voted "No, could be in better shape" and "Out of shape". If i compare to how i used to be i'm out of shape right now but everything is relative. I wanted to pick the first two of the first poll. When i'm not resting due to injury(like right now) i work out between 6-10 times a week.

Good cardio workouts exept running, swimming actually works great if you drive the tempo up a bit, you could also try power walking.

You probably shouldn't worry about the amount of food just what kind of food you eat. Pizza and ice cream aren't exactly fitness food. The water consumption is probably a good thing, water is good for you. Eating right before you go to sleep is bad since your body doesn't use the nutrition while you sleep.

As for your workout i would recommend weights but since you don't want that, the push ups are good so are the squats. The problem is the crunches, they only target the upper abs and not the lower abs which usually is the problem area. Try finding diffrent ab workouts, search online or something. I'll try to describe some.

Leg bend ab workout thingy
This one usually requires a bench of some sort. But can be done on flat ground to. I recommend the bench though.

1. Lie down on your back with your ass at one egde of the bench(or just lie down on the ground).
2. Lift your legs up so that it looks like a sitting position but remain on your back. Like an L, your legs should point straight up.
3. Move your legs back down without touching the ground then proceed up to the L position again.
4. Repeat for 10-15 times then rest for 1 minute or so before you go at it again. Do this 3 times.

sit ups with turns
This one is very similiar to sit ups but a lot better.

1. Set yourself in a sit up position.
2. Do the sit up.
3. When you are at the top(sitting up) do a turn to left or right, only turn your upper body, choose one direction.
4. This sit up you do the same as step 3 but in the other direction.
5. Repeat each direction about 15 times, making it a total of 30 sit ups then take a minute rest and do this 3 times.

These two are both good to target the lower abs but they target the upper abs to. The best would be to do both of these exercises after each other.

Terracosmo
Mon, 02-20-2006, 12:17 PM
I should add that while I do eat at night, I often stay awake an hour or two before actually going to bed because "Eating right before you go to sleep is bad since your body doesn't use the nutrition while you sleep." just like PSJ says.

It has become sort of a learned behavior i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Honoko
Mon, 02-20-2006, 12:41 PM
i voted "unhealthy vices" one because it's now been a year since i've started going to a gym and honestly my weight would be a lot lower if i actually gave up the potato chips and french fries. And why does fried food and beer go so well together? i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

so as a result, the 2nd poll i chose "average but out of shape" considering that i've been going to the gym pretty regularly. i felt my best in the summer though because that was when i'd go to my old HS track and alternate sprints and jogging there in the mornings. I read somewhere that nothing'll get you in shape faster than actually doing sprints.

in the end though, just eating 3 meals a day with moderate portions plus some regular exercising (i do about 30 min cardio and then 30 min on various weight-lifting machines 2-3 times a week) should get you physically healthy. I'm just not content w/ the moderation part hehe i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

And eating out doesn't help either since nowhere do they actually sell you food in "moderate" portions. Most takeout or restaurant purchases give you enough food to feed 2-3 people. At least in America anyway. No wonder everyone hates our country.

masamuneehs
Mon, 02-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Sweet, this thread might really help me (and you, yes you!)

PSJ, I'm definitely ditching the old crunches after what you've told me. Both of those exercises sound alot better.
Terra, lol @ walking to the bar, to the next bar, to the club, then haystack dancing really CAN burn off the booze. I've been walking alot more since starting my semester in Italy but the food here in Bologna is so fucking good. I eat like a vaccuum cleaner, literally finishing everything around me.
Honoko, eating out is the devil. After I posted the initial post I went to the store and bought beans, rice, skim milk, hot sauce (of course!), lettuce, apples, and some spices. I'm going to try not to go out as often as I have been. Good for my body, my cooking skills (so I can be a trophy/stay-at-home dad) and my wallet!
Red, the gym is a great tool. I was in the best shape of my life when it was free in HS (and one year in college), but nowadays I really don't have the $ for monthly memberships and while I would get stronger I was also getting fatter.

Sorry if the choices for the poll weren't the best. I wasn't even going to have them at all but figured why the hell not?

PSJ
Mon, 02-20-2006, 01:03 PM
Glad i could help and that you actually understood my explanations. As for the polls, it's pretty interesting to see how people see themselves.

Terracosmo
Mon, 02-20-2006, 01:04 PM
Just always remember that you only live once, and even if you have a totally fit body you might get run over by a truck tomorrow.

Not saying that one should be a pig, but always remember... reality!

(This advice brought to you by Terra-is-a-lazy-son-of-a-bitch Inc)

PSJ
Mon, 02-20-2006, 01:10 PM
No if you are built enough the truck will get demolished instead of you.

Terra's right, allow yourself some of the fine parts of life once in a while.

A guy who lived until he was 90+ and was perfectly healthy used to say "If you train right, you can eat whatever you want". This is true, if you train enough you can eat the usual shit and you won't gain anything but you won't loose anything either, so if you want to loose weight stick to that diet.

ChaosK
Mon, 02-20-2006, 01:28 PM
in great health but could be more muscular...i've lost the time to go to the gym and work out.

el_boss
Mon, 02-20-2006, 01:49 PM
better diet / out of shape

I eat two meals a day (breakfast and dinner) which is extremely unhealthy, but I can't help it. I'm just to god damn lazy.

I was in pretty good shape before my military service, but damn if they didn't ruin that for me as well. During that time I lost all my muscles and treplaced it with fat. So I haven't actually gained any wait, I'm just extremely out of shape. I just recently found a good gym, so I'm starting train again.i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

I agree with Terra regarding the losing weight thing. Breakfast is one of the key meals to losing weight, since the body is famished after sleep and takes upp all the energy like a fucking sponge. Try skip butter and cheese as well. I don't know what it's called in english soft cheese, spreadable cheese, liquid cheese(?)... Well you probably get what I mean, this is a very good supplement since it's low in fat and high in protein.

If you have the dicipline you should eat like 5 meals a day. In this fashion, breakfast>snack>lunch>snack>dinner. The snacks should consist of something small like a fruit or a "healthy" sandwish. As for the lunch and dinner you can eat pretty much what you want just dont eat much of it. Also try to eat alot of protein as in milk, meat, cottage cheese, bean sprouts and protein drinks if you need it. Eat less carbohydrates like pasta, potatoe and rice.

If you are really serious about losing weight, you should take a walk every morning before breakfast. Just a normal walk no running, for about like 20 min or something, more if you want results faster. You will lose weight like a anorexic on crack.

It's to bad you don't like weight training, since this is an awesome way to lose weight and build muscles at the same time. After a heavy gym pass you will highten your metabolism for almost two days after.

Though there are alot of insanely effective exercises you can do at home with no appliances what so ever. Search for anything by Matt Furey, "combat conditioning" and "combat abs" are very good for beginners. You can probably find them on some torrent site or on dc. I can hook you up you don't find it anywhere.

Drink water like crazy. There is no such thing as "too much water" (within normal limits). You just piss out what you don't need. I don't think water makes any significant impact on your stomach.

DB_Hunter
Mon, 02-20-2006, 08:23 PM
OK guys a bit about myself.

I have a weird body. The following sizes are not talking about the general i.e. big means big for my body, not necessarily yours.

My shoulders are way to small for my body. Because I have a good sized chest this compunds the problem, so whenever I do weight training a big focus of mine is on getting bigger shoulders. I am pleased to say that when I do train, I am able to sort out my shoulders so that, dare I say it, I actually do start to look fit (note not buff... that means quite muscular in my books).

Another area I focus on is my arms. I find my arms are really weak, and until recently I wasn't working out my biceps properly. I kept using the flat barbell, until a friend of mine told me to use the EZ bar... I didn't use that before cos I thought it was uncomfortable to hold!

As for body fat... this is the most bizzare thing of all. I have quite a fat stomach, though being REALLY fat as a kid I have learnt to make it un-noticable as an adult, particularly since I am nowhere near as fat as I was before. Fat seems to deposit on my belly and chest.

What I am looking for from you guys is some advice on diet. Now for weight training I know you need A LOT of protein and you need carbohydrates for energy. I want to take in this stuff naturally, not via bars or supplements cos I have heard they can screw up you liver and body generally.

Can anyone tell me the most protein dense foods? I know the following contain protein and I try to eat them:

Red Meat
Chicken
Fish
Chick Peas
Lentils
Eggs
Milk

The thing is can someone clarify for my what kinds of fish I am supposed to eat? I generally eat Tuna and cod. I have heard oily fish is good for you, but what is an oily fish???

Also, carbohydrates. What do I need as a weight trainer? Do I need complex carbohydrates or simple carbohydrates? What are the sources of each?

As for meals I have an unhealthy lifetstyle I guess, though I agree with the statement somewhere above that as long as you train you can eat pretty much what you want, with some limits ofcourse (i.e. fry ups are not generally a good idea)

As for advice I can offer, well I think without going in to the detail I would say the best thing to bear in mind is when you do weight training focus on your technique and not how much you can lift. Its no good trying to lift heavy weights while you are not excercising properly, since not only will you not build the muscle properly you will also most likely damage yourself in a bad way. I lift far less weights than most weight lifters do but when I actually train properly you really can tell a physical difference. Remember, go for technique over EGO!

Board of Command
Mon, 02-20-2006, 08:44 PM
I'm just average and a little on the chubby side. My body's weird because my weight never changes. It doesn't matter how much I eat or how much I work out. In fact, I eat a lot of junk food and never work out, yet I never gain a single pound. Even as I'm typing this right now I'm sipping Coke and eating kettle chips. My weight never changes and my figure never changes. I guess I'll start going to the school gym when university starts, maybe shed some flab. If you see me on the street you'll never believe I consume 5 lbs of junk food a day.

Honoko
Mon, 02-20-2006, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by: DB_Hunter
The thing is can someone clarify for my what kinds of fish I am supposed to eat? I generally eat Tuna and cod. I have heard oily fish is good for you, but what is an oily fish???

Off the top of my head, mackerel is an oily fish. And just as an aside, wild salmon is preferable over farmgrown since the way the latter is raised induces mercury levels in the fish and that's not good to consume =P Oh, and your last paragraph-- I'm glad someone mentioned that. I happened to discover that on my own last year and it's always nice to hear some confirmation.

@PSJ-- those leg raises you mentioned really are effective (the first one). if you're bored of just raising them up and down you can also hold them up several inches off the ground and open and close them repeatedly or you could even do a bicycling motion with them. And then for the finale just lift up your legs a few inches and hold them and count to 10 or 20. At least, that's the routine I used to do back when I was into taekwondo.

Board of Command
Mon, 02-20-2006, 08:47 PM
Oily fish? I'd have the say the oiliest fish I've ever eaten is turbot. There's 2 mm of fat under the skin followed by 10 mm of nice meat. Very oily but delicious.

Carnage
Mon, 02-20-2006, 10:03 PM
Wow, Im suprised noone has made a Chuck Norris joke yet.

I play tennis, and my instructors are crazy ass Romanians, which is really awsome. They work you out so much youd do anything to just get a break. Ya, playing a sport really does help. Also, has anyone mentioned morning jogs? Personally I dont do it, but who k nows. Could do wonders.

Board of Command
Tue, 02-21-2006, 12:03 AM
The Titanic sank upon impact with Chuck Norris's abs of steel.

XanBcoo
Tue, 02-21-2006, 01:07 AM
Not a lot of advice I can give, in fact I'm looking to take a lot of advice from this thread.

I'm a moderately skinny person. One of those "eat but never gain wait" people Terra mentioned. I do however go to the gym 3 times a week with my friends to lift weights (We're all sort of noobs at it though, so I've actually been looking for the most effective way to spend our time there). Like masamuneehs, I try to manage 100 pushups a day, but usually only manage 75 (I do sets of 25 <-- basically my limit XD), so I'm good as far as muscle. I also walk all over my goddamn campus, so I'm not too worried about Cardio stuff. I know I should improve in that area, but I can't really be bothered. For those reasons I chose that "yes" I was happy with my physique/health/fitness. My diet isn't great, but it's not terrible. and so I chose "Average, but out of shape."

Originally posted by: DB_Hunter
Can anyone tell me the most protein dense foods? I know the following contain protein and I try to eat them:
Peanutbutter has A LOT of protein. Add that to your list. I've never heard testimony from people who ate a lot of it, but I learned in my Chemistry class that Peanutbutter actually has more protein in it than steak.

As for advice I can offer, well I think without going in to the detail I would say the best thing to bear in mind is when you do weight training focus on your technique and not how much you can lift. Its no good trying to lift heavy weights while you are not excercising properly, since not only will you not build the muscle properly you will also most likely damage yourself in a bad way. I lift far less weights than most weight lifters do but when I actually train properly you really can tell a physical difference. Remember, go for technique over EGO!
That's pretty good advice. I'll take it into account.

masamuneehs
Tue, 02-21-2006, 04:22 AM
Healthy protein filled foods:

Nuts (especially almonds) - MUST BE EATEN WITH SKIN! The skin on the nuts contains tons of protein. Also, as long as the nuts are roasted or salted they don't contain much fat at all!
Lean turkey - another low fat, high protein food. Turkey sandwiches on whole grain bread is a great lunch.
Eggs - eggs are great, especially hard boiled. The yoke has some fat in it, but the egg white is simply packed with protein. Egg beaters (if you can get em) have less calories and just as much protein.
Milk can also be a good one.

Just remember that you should check what you're buying. Just because you bought turkey, nuts, and milk you might be stuffing yourself with fatty ones. When in doubt go for the ones that seem to be as natural and without any extra ingredients.

ChiaCheese
Tue, 02-21-2006, 05:50 AM
I guess I'm the only vote for overweight. I've given up fastfood for the past three months and I still managed to gain weight. It must be because I'm a strict carnivore. mmm meat.

Aramis
Tue, 02-21-2006, 04:19 PM
I'm 18 and rather short+thin (172cm, 53kg)...I recently started working out by running/swimming though and it seems I'm in a good enough shape to go to the army next summer.

Board of Command
Tue, 02-21-2006, 04:43 PM
Wow 53 kg, that's very light considering your height. I'm about 175 cm and 70 kg (and yes I know it's not considered "lean").

Mr Squiggles
Tue, 02-21-2006, 07:20 PM
I'm 18. I'm one of those lucky bastards who could eat an entire cake and not gain a single pound, but then again, it would probably make me sick. In fact, just now I had a hamburger, some onion rings and a coke. So weight/fat is not my problem, I dont need to diet or anything like that.
Overall, I'm pretty fit, since I walk or bike to and from class every day. I'd have to say that my main problem is my arms. I have long and slender arms, almost like a woman's because of my bone structure, and although I can't really do anything about my hands, what would be the most efficient way to buffen up my arms?
Also, since I'm a redhead(with a bit of blond) my skin is very white. And when I say white, I mean I look like a vampire, just without the fangs or cool powers. Plus living in Canada doesnt help matters since I'm almost always wearing a coat or sweater when I'm outside. In fact, even in the summer when I finally have a little time to sunbathe I barely tan at all. All I get is a hint of skin pigment and a few freckles (but I defy the laws of nature by being a redhead and having no freckles on my face, they're all on my arms for some reason), and two week later I'm back to normal. And since I'm a lazy bastard I know I won't go to a tanning salon, so I guess I'll have to stick to being pseudo-albino. Oh well, I guess It does have some advantages, like If I were to decide to become goth one day I wouldnt need to wear white powder, or if someone were to come to the student center and say "I'll give a million dollars to the man without skin pigment", I'd be set for life.

PSJ
Wed, 02-22-2006, 10:13 AM
The buffen up arms bit is tough for you, since you have the blessing of not gaining a pound from any bad food and stuff you also have the curse of haveing a very very hard time buffing up. You can work out and get strong and fit but buffing up is a real problem if you got the kind of body you described. The best you can do is doing weight training about 8 reps and 3 sets followed by a protein rich meal as fast as you can after working out. I really can't think of anything else that would work for that kind of body structure. I guess you can be happy about being able to eat anything without gaining a pound. I'm the other way around, i gain easily but i also build muscle quite easily.

Knives122
Wed, 02-22-2006, 10:22 AM
He could always take Steroids i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

it sucks for me too b/c I have that same type of body structure which blows

PSJ
Wed, 02-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Yea, though a diffrent part down south will probably shrink up a bit, but if he is big enough to take that there is nothing stopping him really...

Board of Command
Wed, 02-22-2006, 01:56 PM
It's actually good because people like me can eat anything and not worry about gaining weight.

Terracosmo
Wed, 02-22-2006, 02:42 PM
I think it's cool how metabolism is a double-edged sword as PSJ described above, skinny people have a harder time gaining muscle (and generally -really- want to gain muscle too) while the "muscular" types gain weight easily but also gain muscles easily (and hilariously often want to be skinny). Ah, humanity at it's best...

2:25
Thu, 02-23-2006, 02:05 AM
I'm average but out of shape and my goal is similar to Terra's: I want to be a stick.

I have a long way to go. So far, one of my biggest problems is my tummy. I think I need to do a lot of sit-ups, but I don't like them. Any suggestions?

PSJ
Thu, 02-23-2006, 08:12 AM
Skip the sit ups if you go for a stick type of body, sit ups will generally make your abs stand out a bit so if you don't work out your chest to, your stomach will stick out a bit and look bigger than it is. You should do alot of cardio exercise, power walking is a great way to loose weight. Get a bottle of half a litre in each hand and fill them up with water then you walk at a fast pace while holding the bottles, i myself have never tried it but i have heard that it should work.

lilphatboi88
Sun, 02-26-2006, 01:19 AM
I'm about 5'8" and 145 pounds. I'm 17 years old. I like to eat and I eat a lot, but I can't eat much at one time. I drink a lot of liquids tho. I want to gain weight and improve my pecs and abs. I'm not a big fan of bench pressing, so i can only do 155 lbs. I want to get an NBA type body.

Raven
Sun, 02-26-2006, 03:02 AM
About 6 months ago I went a bit crazy and lost about 25 kilos in two weeks. How did I do it? Stupid, probably dangerous methods.

I ate nothing but fruit every day apart from the regular dinner cooked for the family. I literally drank nothing but water. I did 1-2 hours of aerobics every day. I lifted my half my own weight in my backyard gym for arms, chest and legs every second day.

It was stupid, but effective. I went from 95 kilos to about 70 kilos or so in two weeks. Everyone was amazed at the change in my appearance and heaps of people thought I was on drugs and got all worried, haha.

Since then I've gone back to my old eating habits (eating out a lot with friends, junkfood, softdrinks, etc) but I've managed to keep off the weight because I've kept up the exercise. I've come to learn that what PSJ said is true, "If you train right, you can eat whatever you want".

Masamuneehs, you say you hate running because it's dangerous for you to do so, right? I'd recommend getting some kind of aerobic exercise dvd and doing it in the comfort of your own place 3 times a week. You can start off small and build your stamina up to doing longer sessions. The one I originally did went for 20 minutes, then 30 minutes and later 45 minutes. These days I go for jogging sessions that last for about an hour to an hour and a half.

My next goal is to have a visable six-pack. My arms and chest are looking fairly good so I'm pretty happy in that regard. It helps having a gym in your back yard because you don't even have to go anywhere.

lilphatboi88
Sun, 02-26-2006, 03:07 AM
wow, show me a picture

not that im gay or anything

PSJ
Sun, 02-26-2006, 06:06 AM
Yea, Raven if you got a before and after picture that would rule.

masamuneehs
Sun, 02-26-2006, 08:47 AM
Raven, the aerobics idea is absolutely genius. I should have thought of it earlier!

And on that note, can anyone recommend a good aerobics video/workout series? There are so many absolutely shitty ones out there... I'd prefer one that didn't make use of too many props and stuff like that. Thanks in advance, this thread has turned out to give me alot of good ideas.

Honoko
Sun, 02-26-2006, 10:16 PM
Taibo was all the rage a few years back. I think it was a bit martial-arty and didn't use any props at all. But I also think DDR is a great workout, even though you'd have to invest in that dancing pad.

Board of Command
Sun, 02-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Richard Simmons.

Raven
Sun, 02-26-2006, 11:58 PM
DDR is ok, but with the constant stopping and starting there's plenty of chances for your heart rate to drop. The good thing about walk/jog aerobics is that they're constant movement with gradual increases in speed, and it safely raises the heart rate. With DDR, it's either extreme or none, it's static, if you get what I mean.

I'll try to find you the links for the programs I used, masamuneehs.

*EDIT: Here's a link (http://www.activevideos.com/instructors/lesliesansone.htm) for the dvds that I used. If you scroll down about half way you'll see them. I started with the 1 mile, then later moved onto 2, 3 and 4. Usually her programs are pretty good, I'd recommend them.

Not that I'd expect you'd buy them or anything, it's just to give you an idea.

Originally posted by: PSJ
Yea, Raven if you got a before and after picture that would rule.
Well, I dunno. I was kinda fat before, it's embarrassing.

masamuneehs
Tue, 02-28-2006, 03:29 PM
Raven, those look pretty good, but, um...

How do I phrase this subtly?

I'm looking for a way to pirate such videos i/expressions/beer.gif I'll be looking around for one, and will share with the others if I find one that's good.

rockmanj
Mon, 03-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Actually, Im getting a little into dumbbell exercises and yoga for my fitness. I should do more cardio, but I don't really like running. Any recommendations?

animus
Mon, 03-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Swimming.

Ryllharu
Mon, 03-24-2008, 07:29 PM
I always liked rowing machines, and the kind with a drum of water for the correct resistance burn you out really fast, but that's probably not the kind of cardio you want.

There are always light kickboxing classes. The actual sport mind you, none of that exercise video bullshit.

/Ryll looks down at middle...
I should get back into exercising...

rockmanj
Mon, 03-24-2008, 11:03 PM
Swimming.

I actually can't swim at all. Maybe I should break down and join a gym.

Chiodos
Tue, 03-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Swimming is better, even if you'r not good.
Swimming trains your body as whole and also keeps your condition on the plusitive side.
You also get a nice buttom : )!

Animeniax
Tue, 03-25-2008, 01:04 PM
As much as I dislike it as a sport, playing basketball is pretty good for getting in shape. Decent cardio with all the running around, teaches you hand-eye coordination with dribbling and shooting, and good leg workout with all the jumping.

Going to the gym will get you there, but it can hardly be considered a fun way to get in shape, unless you like the gym environment. Playing a sport that you enjoy and will do regardless of getting a workout will ensure you stick with it.

Chiodos
Wed, 03-26-2008, 02:42 PM
You could also just eat right and do small exercises, not so much sitting and stuff.

Well....pretty much the most boring and dull way...

rockmanj
Thu, 03-27-2008, 12:32 AM
Swimming is better, even if you'r not good.
Swimming trains your body as whole and also keeps your condition on the plusitive side.
You also get a nice buttom : )!

I'd like to learn swimming, but its quite impossible for me I cannot swim at all. Maybe I'll try soccer for cardio; basketball is fun and all, but meh...there's like one court in the city i live, and I know there will be people playing there that i don't like.

KrayZ33
Thu, 03-27-2008, 05:59 AM
the easiest way to loose weight is jogging... if yo don't have stamina you start with ~20 minutes with small pauses .. then later ~30 with even less pauses then 40 with only 1 pause and then after ~10 weeks 1 hour without a pause.

its the best simply the easiest way.. you stand up early, eat an apple or banana + some juice or so, grab your MP3-player (or something similiar) and start jogging.. the music helps you to run in rhythm and its actually pretty fun because time passes by very fast.

after that you just take a showever and feel great.

if you want to do sports i recommend to play with friends if you were never in a team before. its simply more fun and nobody blames you for doing something wrong ^^

Animeniax
Thu, 03-27-2008, 06:23 AM
I find jogging hurts the knees and back after a short time. Elliptical training at the gym is better if you're out of shape and have sore body parts. As with anything, like KrayZ33 said, find some friends to do it with, it's more fun and more likely to continue. Unfortunately friends will get upset with you for sucking if they are competitive or really into a sport.

KrayZ33
Thu, 03-27-2008, 06:36 AM
I find jogging hurts the knees and back after a short time.

if this happens, you've got the wrong shoes.

you might want to visit a doctor if that happens, maybe he gives you a orthopedic arch support (or what ever its called in english)

Sapphire
Thu, 03-27-2008, 07:38 AM
According to my brother there is nothing better for him than running, he randomly runs three miles or so sometimes and he's very in shape.

I hate running though. My favorite sports are dodgeball and kickball, but no one plays those anymore. I also love to swim (apparently I was able to swim before I could run), but the nearest pool is just the mini apartment pool thing. So I've settled for jogging home from school whenever I'm not too lazy, which has been for the last two days and prolly today. (It's downhill so I don't mind ~2 miles) I like the sore feeling I get after running, it means I'm doing something right. It's not too obtrusive either, because I get home before my bus does and my backpack isn't too heavy.

It turned out that most of my friends have been going to the gym and actually having after school sports instead of living a sedentary lifestyle like I thought they were, so I might as well jump on the bandwagon and get in shape too. XD

darkshadow
Thu, 03-27-2008, 05:18 PM
Ive been getting out of shape lately, mostly cause of school, last time i went to the gym i could only run 20 mins non stop, then after a small break i went another 10 mins and stopped, meh.

Animeniax
Thu, 03-27-2008, 10:31 PM
I used to lift weights between rounds of CS:S. I'd rush out at the start of each round and kill a guy, get killed by their rush, then spend the next 3 minutes lifting weights until the next round started. It became a bit of a problem when my forearms would bulge, making it hard to accurately control the mouse.

Archangel
Thu, 03-27-2008, 10:41 PM
I used to lift weights between rounds of CS:S. I'd rush out at the start of each round and kill a guy, get killed by their rush, then spend the next 3 minutes lifting weights until the next round started. It became a bit of a problem when my forearms would bulge, making it hard to accurately control the mouse.

Wow... hardcore gamer?

I go to the gym about 3 times a week, plat soccer and a litle basketball and i jog on the weekends every now and then

masamuneehs
Thu, 03-27-2008, 11:04 PM
it just so happens i was looking into changing my routine up, since my gym membership is ending.

Six Steps to a Weightless Workout (http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=50950)

Callisthenic-training-no-weights-workout (http://www.scribd.com/doc/200838/Callisthenic-training-no-weights-workout)

I actually sorta like not using weights. I don't much care for the burning feeling of tearing muscle. I'd rather be in good overall shape than be all shoulders or upper body... I liked the elliptical trainer machine and the rowing machine at my gym the most.

Animeniax
Fri, 03-28-2008, 12:27 AM
I've found this set of exercises from Men's Health to be very useful when you can't get to the gym or court:

Your Body is Your Barbell (http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=fitness&category=workout.plans&conitem=141621a3f8a71110VgnVCM20000012281eac____)

Don't be intimidated by the caption picture in the article, the exercises are well within anyone's ability.

KrayZ33
Fri, 03-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Wow... hardcore gamer?

why that? he could also do nothing between the rounds and wait until that camper is dead.... 4 minutes later..

Myself for example is flaming until the next rounds starts, its also some kind of exercise and burns away calories ^^

its more like "hardcore fitness addict" if his arm bulges while holding the computer-mouse

XanBcoo
Fri, 03-28-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm in the process of working out a good, high-calorie diet for myself in order to gain weight. I just had a Fitness Test yesterday and had my body fat and bone density measured (with an average and below-average measure on each, respectively). I also found out that I weigh 4 pounds less than I thought I did: 144 instead of 148. So I've been trying to find out a good diet to stick with. I already lift weights 3 times a week, but that isn't gonna do shit unless I eat accordingly.

Right now I'm eating, more or less regularly:
Granola/milk for breakfast
Cashews, Muffins, bananas throughout the day in between classes
Chicken sandwich immediately post workout, protein shake after that
chicken or pasta for dinner

This could do with some more revision.

its more like "hardcore fitness addict" if his arm bulges while holding the computer-mouse
I wouldn't go that far.

Assertn
Fri, 03-28-2008, 01:04 PM
I'd like to learn swimming, but its quite impossible for me I cannot swim at all. Maybe I'll try soccer for cardio; basketball is fun and all, but meh...there's like one court in the city i live, and I know there will be people playing there that i don't like.
Play DDR. I bet koreans love DDR.

Archangel
Fri, 03-28-2008, 01:10 PM

Dude there's no way you can't swim lol all you have to do is flap your legs and arms on the water . Or is it some kind of trauma?

KrayZ33
Fri, 03-28-2008, 01:43 PM

yes they do

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=UEeJRiDJ69I

and i <3 em. if you do it like they do i m pretty sure u'll lose weight very fast ^^

Junior
Fri, 03-28-2008, 02:01 PM
Hmmm, well, I gym every day for about...1h 30min, sometimes less since I'm the laziest person in the world. I used to swim every second day (I'm so happy I have a pool)...then it got cold, and I got lazier.

But really, working out and eating right and you get amazing results. =0

Animeniax
Fri, 03-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Junior, you look to be about 80lbs (37kg). You might want to try a more sedentary lifestyle. Just kidding.

I find you don't even need to workout, just stay active while eating right. Try not to eat after 7PM unless you do something active later. Don't skip meals, that's a bad idea because it starves your system so it tries to save more energy in the form of fat, plus you need nutrients and energy to keep going. Eat more often but smaller portions to keep your metabolism going. It's not that hard, just have to keep at it.

Junior
Fri, 03-28-2008, 02:42 PM
80lbs? XD omg anorexic.

And you're pretty much right. Random, but I've noticed a lot with people is that they eat a little then stop even though they're still hungry. Isn't it best to eat til you're NOT hungry? I don't mean, over-eat or completely stuff yourself, but it's best to at least feed your body.

Especially these teenage girls. Always starving themselves (like seriously, is a carrot really going to fill you?). And in the end, they STILL look terrible.

You gotta eat. D:

Archangel
Fri, 03-28-2008, 03:32 PM
yes they do

and i <3 em. if you do it like they do i m pretty sure u'll lose weight very fast ^^

Omg that looks... cool! Wtf they're gamers they're supposed to be nerdy this is against the laws of physics!!

Omg Junior eating is so not sexy ...

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9n8QHCkPLA

Junior
Fri, 03-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Gamers? Nerdy? Only a few. >.> When you play DDR, that isn't nerdy. All the people I know that play DDR are cool.

Dancing must be the best and most fun way to lose weight. I wish I had DDR. I should save up monies.

Archangel
Fri, 03-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Err... what's DDR? Is it that game?

Junior
Fri, 03-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Dance Dance revolution? o.o

The game those guys are playing.

Archangel
Fri, 03-28-2008, 04:16 PM
ohh so that's how it's called. Is it a famous game? Never really heard of it around here

Assertn
Fri, 03-28-2008, 04:28 PM
yes they do

Or you could be like this kid:
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=4yk-ESYl7Bc&NR=1

KrayZ33
Fri, 03-28-2008, 04:48 PM
but thats not the korean way of doing things...

whatever it is koreans do it like they don't do anything else in their lives ^^

btw AA, anime-fans are supposed to be nerdy too :O and yes DDR very famous... i m pretty sure you know Guitar Hero? the basics are the same.

btw junior i can't get enough of your avatar and signature... she's so hawt.
at least i hope its a "she" xD... her eyes... so clear and blue

Archangel
Fri, 03-28-2008, 05:00 PM
i know, i'm a nerd too :P

But that dance thingy looks like fun i wish i could try it sometime.

XanBcoo
Fri, 03-28-2008, 05:21 PM
I find you don't even need to workout, just stay active while eating right. Try not to eat after 7PM unless you do something active later. Don't skip meals, that's a bad idea because it starves your system so it tries to save more energy in the form of fat, plus you need nutrients and energy to keep going. Eat more often but smaller portions to keep your metabolism going. It's not that hard, just have to keep at it.
I can't quote this hard enough. All of it is true. Exercising (cardio and weight lifting) at least 3 times a week just helps lose fat and gain muscle much faster and more efficiently but having a good diet is the base of all that.

saman
Fri, 03-28-2008, 10:35 PM
yeah. i usually do nothing. having an awesome metabolism and a nutrition degree helps. that, and i'm pretty intuitive about food. if i'm hungry, i eat, if i'm not, i don't.

actually, that's not true, that i do nothing. my lifestyle in general is fairly active. i'm usually on my feet at least 8 to 10 hours a day straight (not including lunch breaks) at work, which i usually have at least three days of the week.

Junior
Sat, 03-29-2008, 11:58 AM
but thats not the korean way of doing things...

whatever it is koreans do it like they don't do anything else in their lives ^^

btw AA, anime-fans are supposed to be nerdy too :O and yes DDR very famous... i m pretty sure you know Guitar Hero? the basics are the same.

btw junior i can't get enough of your avatar and signature... she's so hawt.
at least i hope its a "she" xD... her eyes... so clear and blue

XD

Yes. Us anime-fans are nerdy. AND PROUD. HUZZAH.

And yes, yes she is very hot. Hotter than the sun.

if i'm hungry, i eat, if i'm not, i don't.

I swear that is the key to being healthy. People sometimes eat for no reason. it's such a waste of food. D:

QUESTION: How do you know when you're healthy? Do you look at BMI? I mean...muscle weighs more than fat, so can it really be accurate?

DB_Hunter
Sat, 03-29-2008, 01:41 PM
Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. It is denser than fat.

Just want to throw in my nerdy credentials there.

KrayZ33
Sat, 03-29-2008, 01:43 PM
QUESTION: How do you know when you're healthy? Do you look at BMI? I mean...muscle weighs more than fat, so can it really be accurate?

BMI has nothing to do with being healthy (at least not much)..

even if you weight 70KG and you are 1,80 meters tall, it means nothing if you have to breathe hard when you go up some stairs or have a very high blood pressure or puls rate when you do some sports then.

thats not healthy and thats what happens if you don't do any sports normally ... its very bad for the heart btw.

Junior
Sat, 03-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. It is denser than fat.

Just want to throw in my nerdy credentials there.

So...denser means...well...so that's why it's heavier?

KrayZ...I see I see...so is BMI just to check if your body's in proportion? o.o;

Animeniax
Sat, 03-29-2008, 02:12 PM
BMI was debunked in the 70s as an unrealistic measurement of one's fitness. Never use it again.

Yes, denser therefore more mass, therefore heavier. I think.

DB_Hunter
Sat, 03-29-2008, 02:21 PM
D = m/v, where D is density, m is mass and v is volume. Units are Kg per metre cubed.

Basically, 1Kg of muscle would take up less space than 1Kg of fat. They would both weigh the same, but the issue here would be the difference in space or volume they occupy.

Junior
Sat, 03-29-2008, 02:29 PM
D = m/v, where D is density, m is mass and v is volume. Units are Kg per metre cubed.

Basically, 1Kg of muscle would take up less space than 1Kg of fat. They would both weigh the same, but the issue here would be the difference in space or volume they occupy.

oooh, I understand now. Show off. =)

So in the end...you can't tell anything by knowing someone's weight right? it could mean they're fat OR just really fit?

BMI was debunked in the 70s as an unrealistic measurement of one's fitness. Never use it again.

My doctor said so too. It's weird how people here still use that.

I used a BMI machine here and it said I was severely underweight, and the one on the internet said I was normal.

Pfft. But my doctor said I'm perfectly fine and the machine is liar. Huzzah.

DB_Hunter
Sat, 03-29-2008, 04:14 PM
oooh, I understand now. Show off. =)

So in the end...you can't tell anything by knowing someone's weight right? it could mean they're fat OR just really fit?

Correct. So in the end you are gonna have to use the old fashioned way, your eyes, to tell whether or not someone is fit or not. In conjunction with the odd exercise of course.

Junior
Sat, 03-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Guess it's then impossible to tell on the internet without pics.

But it's strange how people assume you're fit just because you're skinny. I mean, if you're fit, you wouldn't be skinny...you'd be more...well-built.

You wouldn't look like a pole. o_o

Archangel
Sat, 03-29-2008, 05:27 PM
I can't quote this hard enough. All of it is true. Exercising (cardio and weight lifting) at least 3 times a week just helps lose fat and gain muscle much faster and more efficiently but having a good diet is the base of all that.

Actually, i do workout and play alot of sports but i eat whatever i want and when i want it. I'm not really trying to look like those apes from the wwe, i just enjoy working out and being able to eat all i want is also fun. I do have a so-so body and i can run for a long time so i guess this is the perfect fitness plan for me :D

rockmanj
Sun, 03-30-2008, 01:21 AM

Actually, in Korean, DDR is a acronym for their word for masturbate. Not that good of a workout, really. I think running is a good idea. Also biking intensely (which I used to do before my bike was stolen) twice a week can help with fitness.

Animeniax
Sun, 03-30-2008, 01:23 AM
Actually, i do workout and play alot of sports but i eat whatever i want and when i want it. I'm not really trying to look like those apes from the wwe, i just enjoy working out and being able to eat all i want is also fun. I do have a so-so body and i can run for a long time so i guess this is the perfect fitness plan for me :D
I've seen your shirtless picture man. Do you really work out?

Assertn
Sun, 03-30-2008, 03:02 AM
Not that good of a workout, really.
Hmm...you must not have played on a very high level then...

Chiodos
Sun, 03-30-2008, 07:19 AM
Some studies tells that masterbating prevents some kind of disease... thought it was some kind of cancer.

Heard it millions of times but hey, TV also tells lies.
Oh well, it's actually true that it decreases your stress.

Sapphire
Sun, 03-30-2008, 08:31 AM
Yesterday I ran around Six Flags, and now I am more sore that the previous days when I ran 2 miles. Maybe suspense was part of it, because there were points on the coaster I was so tense I had to relax myself because it was getting tiring. XD

Buffalobiian
Sun, 03-30-2008, 08:47 AM
Some studies tells that masterbating prevents some kind of disease... thought it was some kind of cancer.

Heard it millions of times but hey, TV also tells lies.
Oh well, it's actually true that it decreases your stress.

It is said to prevent prostate cancer.

I'm currently playing soccer twice a week with friends. I don't like indoor though. I've got pretty much no skill, so I need the space to run.

DB_Hunter
Sun, 03-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Playing indoors may be better healthwise. You will have to do more tricks and turns using your whole body rather than just more of a straight run towards goal outdoors.

KrayZ33
Sun, 03-30-2008, 10:02 AM
well.. not because of that but you have to run a lot more indoors...(you use tricks outdoors as well thats not the difference there)

since you play 4vs4 and not 11vs11.. and even though the field is smaller you get much more action because 12,5% of the time you have the ball at your feet(100:8).. on a big field you only get the ball like ~5% of the time... (100:22) then again it depends on the postion on the field... indoors however, the postion is meaningless because you play defense AND attack.. pretty much like handball (so you have to get away from the opposite players... if you play in the defense outdoors you won't go much further than to the middle field.

DB_Hunter
Sun, 03-30-2008, 10:09 AM
That's a valid point too. But indoors your whole body will get involved, simply because there will be a greater chance of the players crowding around you. And try 5 a side rather 4 a side.

KrayZ33
Sun, 03-30-2008, 10:25 AM
That's a valid point too. But indoors your whole body will get involved, simply because there will be a greater chance of the players crowding around you. And try 5 a side rather 4 a side.

hmm nah

both indoors and outdoors its pretty much always 1vs2 if you got the ball... any more players would be a disadvantage for both teams so it would be useless

if you have the ball and another player of your team wants to help you he will only try to get away from his opponent so you can pass to him.. if he gets close to you he will close up the space you would otherwise be able to run to..

if its 1vs3 then most likely someone of your team is free so you can pass to him and the 3 players which crowded you are overran pretty fast.

DB_Hunter
Sun, 03-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Dude, that may be true in some circumstances. In general, the more players in a confined space, the harder it is to hold on to the ball. So unless you just want a ping pong match, you are going to have to use skill to hold on to the ball.

Chiodos
Sun, 03-30-2008, 01:26 PM
...and it's actually funnier to play with friends against others that you just know. And if it clicks, it can turn out to be a hell long, sweaty but fun game. If it doesn't, it would problaby end up with a fly kick in your head....
But that is, you just don't alwasy have somewhere indoors to play and grassy open fields are easier to find...

KrayZ33
Sun, 03-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Dude, that may be true in some circumstances. In general, the more players in a confined space, the harder it is to hold on to the ball. So unless you just want a ping pong match, you are going to have to use skill to hold on to the ball.

soccer is NOT american football, there is no team which has players above ~8 years old that attack players with more than 2 guys... and if there is such a team, i m pretty sure they'll lose every single game.

the reasons are obvious... if you are attacked by 2 or more players all you have to do is pass... thats all and the defense is beaten...

the second player only comes to help in a 1v1 if he can shield a big area and if his own opponent isn't too far away. did you ever watch a indoor tourney? they try to press the player with ball to the wall and after the first player succeded in doing so, the second player comes in and "surrounds" him, so the only way the player can take now is the way back.

well totally offtopic :/

btw its not the problem to find indoor places, its just that they cost money (at least here they do) but its more fun. at least for me because you can use walls etc ^^.

complich8
Sun, 03-30-2008, 09:21 PM
Correct. So in the end you are gonna have to use the old fashioned way, your eyes, to tell whether or not someone is fit or not. In conjunction with the odd exercise of course.

Interestingly, this isn't always accurate either.

I'm 6'8 and about 340, and I look pretty out of shape (at least, I think I do ... I mean, I'd be a lot better looking at 300...). My roommate's 5'11 and about 185, and looks like he's built out of solid muscle. But I'd say I'm significantly more fit than my roommate, based on every time we've gone out to play some random sport.

For example, yesterday we went out and kicked around a soccer ball for about 10 minutes. Both of us were doing about the same level of running and kicking, and then he ended up doubled over in a heap while I was dribbling the ball in circles around him to keep the heart rate a little elevated while trying to determine whether I was going to have to carry him off the field.

So yeah, not even looking at someone can really tell you. You'd look at me and probably not expect me to have the sort of strength, stamina and coordination that I have, and you'd probably expect my cut-looking roommate to do a whole lot better than he does... but there's a lot of other factors to fitness than how you look without a shirt on.

Assassin
Sun, 03-30-2008, 09:55 PM
well cardio fitness and physical fitness are two very different things. i consider myself physically fit, but as far as cardio goes, i can barely do a lap without huffing and puffing.

XanBcoo
Sun, 03-30-2008, 10:04 PM
well cardio fitness and physical fitness are two very different things. i consider myself physically fit, but as far as cardio goes, i can barely do a lap without huffing and puffing.
What, by your definition, is "physically fit"? I'm confused as to what you're trying to say.

Surely cardio fitness is a part of physical fitness. The latter is a blanket term.

Sapphire
Mon, 03-31-2008, 05:58 AM
I believe he means stamina. Stamina, strength, speed, flexibility, etc. all have to do with fitness, but everyone has different levels.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 03-31-2008, 06:20 AM
I find that when people generally talk about fitness, they mean having high amounts of stamina and cardio capacity. Strength is often considered, but only proportional to your body height/weight/shape. Fitness drills commonly involve things like running laps or cross country, sit ups, push ups, chin ups, beep tests etc. Mostly exercise you can do out in the open. To a lesser extent, cycling and swimming. However, I haven't yet seen power weight training in so called fitness drills. In fitness classes held by gyms, sure. But they're generally known as a workout program here.

However, about judging fitness using the eye, it can be wrong, though how often, I dare not say. My Health and Phys Ed teacher was like a typical Aussie bloke. Had a belly, looked like he enjoys his trips to the local pub. But guys with rather well defined muscles were no match against him and his slightly chubby physique.

This makes me think: How healthy/fit are sumos? Obviously, BMI and body fat count are hardly a measure.

Chiodos
Wed, 04-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Actually hard to tell and all. I used to train all the time and my body size is not big and wasnt back then either but I had hardly no problam taking care of bigger sized people ecxept if they got the funny idea of lifting me up.......

But then again, think like this! When it comes to fitness and all, those Shaolin monks...

TheBladeChild
Wed, 07-16-2008, 11:07 AM
I ask because I wanted to drop some unwanted pounds this summer. So far Iv lost 10lbs since the beginning of summer through running a couple times a week and generally lowering my intake.

Psyke
Wed, 07-16-2008, 11:20 AM
It's more or less part of my career to keep fit, so it's good that I don't worry too much about it. For me these days I try to go for a run daily, of about 5km. Some days due to half marathon training I will cover long distances, but will need rest my knees in between the runs. I don't actually enjoy running a lot, but I'm motivated through the Nike+ which plugs into my nano when I run and keeps me updated with my stats.

Sapphire
Wed, 07-16-2008, 11:22 AM
Here's a Fitness and Exercise thread:

http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?t=12760&highlight=energy+drink

XanBcoo
Wed, 07-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Merged.

To contribute, I ran across a great article linked from another forum. I suggest everyone read it, especially those looking to get in shape by improving their diet. It's a very reliable resource:

Tailor-made Nutrition: Part 1 (http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=856188)
Part 2 (http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=862942)
Part 3 (http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=869278)

I'm still working on gaining weight and adjusting my diet, but having a job means I don't get to eat as much as I normally do. I've started taking a protein shake to work, drinking it halfway through my shift, but that's only helped me maintain my weight after losing a few pounds earlier on. Very frustrating.

NM
Sun, 08-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Just wondering, have any of you guys tried out the 300 workout routine? (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/300_workout.htm) I'm thinking about giving it a go...the only things I can't do on their list are the pull ups (just don't have the upper strength for it) and I'd have to reduce the weight on the "floor wipers" exercise (I only bench about 90 lbs right now). Apparently you have to do all these exercises with no break in between.

It's not something you should be doing everyday though since its a really intense workout on your muscles. I wanna give it a try this Saturday and maybe just do it every Saturday. Article said some of the cast who were about 40 lbs overweight lost alot of weight in a couple of months.

XanBcoo
Sun, 08-10-2008, 04:54 PM
I once read an article about it before, and while I can't seem to find it now, I remember that it debunked a lot of the myths surrounding the workout.

This T-nation forum thread (http://www.t-nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2127696) does a pretty good job of discussing the pros and cons, however. The weight-loss thing seems to come from the insanely high number of reps on each exercise, making them essentially cardiovascular workouts.

Basically, the 300 workout isn't a magical routine that's going to get you real fit real fast. There are definitely better routines out there in terms of mass-gaining. Your personal goals are a huge factor though. I'll edit this post when I can find that article I mentioned.

As for my own progress, I'm coming up to the last week of my own summer workout program. It was a routine I found on SomethingAwful that was designed to mix strength and size training. I did a little research and decided to run with it for a few months. So far I've made definite improvements in every exercise except my chest (which I've brought up before - and am now thinking it was due to a shoulder injury). I'm a few pounds heavier, but still nowhere near my goal. Need to eat more. Once school starts again I'm thinking of starting up a new program.

Exciting!

NM
Sun, 08-10-2008, 05:06 PM
I do recall alot of people saying that the 300 routine was more of a test of endurance. I don't know, I felt like it could be the variation I needed with my own routine but I wasn't sure if it was truly effective or not (no way I can do all that without a rest in between each of those exercises).

Usually I go to the gym and start off with cardio (mainly the stairmaster machine or the elliptical) for about 25 minutes. Then depending on the day, I work on my chest, arms, or shoulders (and rotate each day). After the last one I use the next day to just do an hour of cardio (I figure if I have to give my muscles a rest I might as well get more cardio in there). But other than this, I don't change it up. I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on it and see if it was worth the time or not.

Overall I definitely have seen improvements (as my summer workout also comes to an end) but could lose some more weight. Good thing my new apartment has a gym...should suffice if I ever get a chance to workout.

XanBcoo
Sun, 08-10-2008, 05:21 PM
I do recall alot of people saying that the 300 routine was more of a test of endurance. I don't know, I felt like it could be the variation I needed with my own routine but I wasn't sure if it was truly effective or not (no way I can do all that without a rest in between each of those exercises).
Well, there's no reason you shouldn't go ahead and try it out. Obviously I'm not expert, so I'd say do more research, try it out for yourself for a good period of time and see what works and what doesn't. Experiment! Then come back and report here :p.

Usually I go to the gym and start off with cardio (mainly the stairmaster machine or the elliptical) for about 25 minutes. Then depending on the day, I work on my chest, arms, or shoulders (and rotate each day). After the last one I use the next day to just do an hour of cardio (I figure if I have to give my muscles a rest I might as well get more cardio in there). But other than this, I don't change it up. I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on it and see if it was worth the time or not.
No leg exercises?? :eek:

I used to be totally against working out my legs until I learned that Squats and Deadlifts are basically the best things you can do when exercising. I've definitely become stronger after setting aside a day for legs and I actually have muscle definition in my legs now. Even if it's not a full day, adding a set of squats or even leg presses to your routine will do nothing but help you improve.

NM
Sun, 08-10-2008, 07:21 PM
I'll let you know how it goes then. Still going to give it a shot on Saturday and see how much I can get done. The routine is supposed to be done under 20 minutes but I don't see myself doing that on the very first attempt. :p

And I USED to do leg exercises alot when I first started out. But nowadays I work late till 7 so I'm at the gym really late so I just want to finish up and head home. I do see some toning on my legs to be honest and that was just from one or two leg exercises (used to do them along with my arms). I seriously need to get back into it, I really hate slacking but sometimes it gets the better of me. -___-

animus
Mon, 02-02-2009, 09:24 AM
It doesn't matter at what time you eat... if you haven't eaten enough over the day and feel really hungry at night it's ok to eat, as long as you stay in your calorie-range you can gain/lose/keep weight.. even if you only eat in the evening...

That's quite wrong. For certain people, certain times during the course of a day (especially at night) there are times where metabolism is really slow. Especially if you sleep 2 hours or so after eating, or sleeping on a full stomach. Sleep slows down all your body's functions, which means you aren't burning as much calories as you would be awake.

It's also not a very good idea to not eat your first two meals of the day and have a very large supper/dinner. Could probably be the worst thing you could do if you wanted to lose weight.

Animeniax
Mon, 02-02-2009, 09:50 AM
@KrayZ: sorry man, but yes, it does matter when and in what portion you eat. If you eat only one meal a day and it's 2000 calories, that's terrible for your body. You put your body in "starvation mode", since it starves most of the day, when it does get food, it stores it as fat so it's ready for the next starvation phase. Also eating before you sleep is bad because your body is at rest so all that energy is converted to fat. If you eat a big breakfast, you will typically work off the food throughout the day.

The main reason we were taught to clean our plates was because we were poor growing up, so we didn't have a lot of food, so waste was not allowed. Also, we had just immigrated from Vietnam and all the poverty and hunger of war, so it would have been sacrilege to waste food.

Those dishes look very tasty, though I'm not a big potato fan. It's always amused me how Americans eat a big heap of potatoes at dinner.

KrayZ33
Mon, 02-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Also eating before you sleep is bad because your body is at rest so all that energy is converted to fat

this is the big mistake both of you make...

if your body is at rest and you think it won't diggest normally anymore (which isn't true btw), then why does it convert and store it as fat... you know that is work for the body too...
so if your body doesn't work normally at night, then it wouldn't do that either. Fat is *produced* during the digestion

if you follow that logic, then the food would simply stay undiggested in your stomach until you wake up again..

people in Spain for example eat around 22:00 or even later... they are not more nor less fat than other people.
another nice example: weight yourself in the morning, then again before you go to sleep and then again the next day.. you'll see how much your body is working at night

as long as you stay under your daily needs (calories) you will lose weight, it doesn't matter when you are eating.. the only problem I could think of is that you can't sleep deeply if you eat a lot shortly before you go to bed..because your body *is* working very hard... there is nearly no difference in sleep and when you are awake, go ask your Doc. ^^ (during the digestion). Your body will burn around ~250g fat at night, which is alot.

and btw: If you work hard or do sports in the evening your body will NEED the good meal after it, if you don't supply your body with enough (digestible) carbohydrates etc. after your training, it's pointless.

however naturally you are right with the "don't eat just 1 big meal" part.. because your body will take what it needs from your muscles if you don't eat and drink properly during daytime..but eating so much with just a single meal is impossible in the first place ^^
so you will lose weight here too, but you will lose it where you shouldn't

but I'm not too sure about that either..

Those dishes look very tasty, though I'm not a big potato fan. It's always amused me how Americans eat a big heap of potatoes at dinner.

I love my potatoes, especially "Pommes und Bratwurst!"

Animeniax
Mon, 02-02-2009, 01:29 PM
this is the big mistake both of you make...Wow, I didn't think you'd argue with facts about human physiology.

if your body is at rest and you think it won't diggest normally anymore (which isn't true btw), then why does it convert and store it as fat... you know that is work for the body too...so if your body doesn't work normally at night, then it wouldn't do that either. Fat is *produced* during the digestionYour digestive system is still at work same as your respiratory system and other vital functions, but your body (arms, legs, all of your muscles) is not, so there is nowhere for the energy created by digesting food to be used. Some of it will be excreted when you take a big dump in the morning, some will indeed by used by the body, but most of it is stored as fat.

people in Spain for example eat around 22:00 or even later... they are not more nor less fat than other people.If they eat balanced meals throughout the day, eating at 2200 won't hurt. But I seriously doubt they eat a huge meal at 2200 every night. It also depends on what foods they are eating. Europeans as a group are leaner than Americans and have better eating habits.

as long as you stay under your daily needs (calories) you will lose weight, it doesn't matter when you are eating.. the only problem I could think of is that you can't sleep deeply if you eat a lot shortly before you go to bed..because your body *is* working very hard... there is nearly no difference in sleep and when you are awake, go ask your Doc. ^^ (during the digestion). Your body will burn around ~250g fat at night, which is alot.I agree with the first part but that's the hard part about losing weight. I disagree with everything else. Your body is in a semi-comatose state when you sleep, it does not consume as much energy as when you are awake unless you're laying in bed doing nothing.

and btw: If you work hard or do sports in the evening your body will NEED the good meal after it, if you don't supply your body with enough (digestible) carbohydrates etc. after your training, it's pointless.Shouldn't you eat carbs and energy food before the hard work? Then afterward you eat the proteins and fats that your body needs to build and recover from the hard work.

Really you should try to sell your idea as a new diet. It could make you millions if enough people suspend reality for the week or two they last on this diet before it fails like all the other fad diets.

KrayZ33
Mon, 02-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Wow, I didn't think you'd argue with facts about human physiology.

Your digestive system is still at work same as your respiratory system and other vital functions, but your body (arms, legs, all of your muscles) is not, so there is nowhere for the energy created by digesting food to be used. Some of it will be excreted when you take a big dump in the morning, some will indeed by used by the body, but most of it is stored as fat.

that's not true, your muscles will build up when you are asleep... and that's where the energy is used at night

If they eat balanced meals throughout the day, eating at 2200 won't hurt. But I seriously doubt they eat a huge meal at 2200 every night.

they eat that what I eat at around ~15:00 normally

I agree with the first part but that's the hard part about losing weight. I disagree with everything else. Your body is in a semi-comatose state when you sleep, it does not consume as much energy as when you are awake unless you're laying in bed doing nothing.

watching TV is less exhausting than sleeping for the body
no big deal but you can see that it works more than people think

Really you should try to sell your idea as a new diet. It could make you millions if enough people suspend reality for the week or two they last on this diet before it fails like all the other fad diets.

sry but that's what they tell you in any gym and this is what every nutritionist will tell you (at least more or less)

animus
Mon, 02-02-2009, 01:38 PM
I didn't say it didn't digest. But since your body is at rest, your metabolism during sleep is MUCH slower.

Let's say in theory, if you ate 2,000 calories spread over three meals (approximately 666.66 calories) you will burn more calories during the course of the day than a person that only eats a single evening meal consisting of 2,000 calories. The former is the better way to go if you want to lose weight.

Your body is like an engine, you have to have to fuel to rev the engine. When your body doesn't get food, your metabolism slows to conserve energy. When you eat a large meal, your metabolism starts, but there is simply too much of it, and it converts the excess into fat. This is worse if you do it close to sleep as well, when your metabolism slows down even further.

Not to mention sleeping on a full stomach can be quite counterproductive sometimes for sleep as it can be quite uncomfortable. Not to mention there's a higher chance of acid reflux. It's really a myth that you sleep like a baby on a full stomach.

Animeniax
Mon, 02-02-2009, 01:46 PM
that's not true, your muscles will build up when you are asleep... and that's where the energy is used at nightWhy would your muscles need energy when they are almost completely still and not in use? If you work out, then eat properly, then sleep, your muscles repair themselves and require the proteins and simple carb energy, and the repairing is what adds to muscle.

watching TV is less exhausting than sleeping for the body
no big deal but you can see that it works more than people thinkThat's weird cause my body feels refreshed after sleep, but sleepy when I watch TV.

sry but that's what they tell you in any gym and this is what every nutritionist will tell you (at least more or less)Not sure what kind of gym you go to, but I think those people have been telling you the wrong things man.

KrayZ33
Mon, 02-02-2009, 02:02 PM
don't you see that if energy is used that there is nothing to save? (nothing to make fat out of?)

or even if fat is saved, it will be metabolized during the next day then, I don't understand what you mean.

.. it all comes down to the point-> if you burn more calories than you eat, your body will use your fat reserves (after your carb-reserves which don't last long)

That's weird cause my body feels refreshed after sleep, but sleepy when I watch TV.

but it's true
I'm pretty sure if you google a bit you'll find a report or something.

and when you are at it google some reports about "eating in the evening" (or something like that) and you'll find studies which prove that it doesn't matter when you eat, but how much you eat.

edit: http://www.chetday.com/eatinglate.htm for example

animus
Mon, 02-02-2009, 02:08 PM
How are you gonna use the energy if you sleep shortly after eating? Unless you decide to go jogging then head to bed.

KrayZ33
Mon, 02-02-2009, 02:32 PM
As if I know every single thing about what the human body does at what time...

but "Furthermore, night is the time when growth hormone (GH) reaches a peak level. (Peak secretion during non-REM, SWS deep sleep). GH is known to be a potent muscle and bone builder and a fat burner. Late meals, if applied correctly could be most anabolic. " is a nice quote for now.

and during night happens something what people call the "afterburner effect" (at least in germany... I don't know if it's the word in english)
basically that's just what i've said -> building up muscles, regeneration and other metabolic effects

that's probalby the reason why you feel "refreshed" (as Animaniax said) when you wake up... because you regenerate. And you can't regenerate if you don't use ur energy you saved from eating/digesting stuff

btw I just realised that we are extremely off-topic, but it shouldn't really matter...(well, I hope so... it's fun to discuss this)

Dansetsu
Tue, 02-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Or you could be like this kid:
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=4yk-ESYl7Bc&NR=1 lmao. That is classic Assert N. I wasn't expecting him to fall.

I think most of you guys are right. When it all comes down to it, just get up off the couch, do some cardio, and eat a balanced meal and fill the gaps with snacks that actually grow on a plant or tree instead of littering store shelves.

XanBcoo
Sun, 02-14-2010, 08:49 PM
Bumpity Bump.

I'm about 1/4 of the way through my fitness goals and I'm feeling pretty powerful. On Friday I deadlifted 300 lbs for the first time. My bench press and squat numbers aren't as high as I'd like, but I'm still working on them. Both are at 195 pounds for 5 reps.

Here's a good picture of myself that I found from the beginning of 2008, which is just before I started getting serious about exercising. I was 145 pounds and about 14% body fat:
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/3671/skinnykido.th.jpg (http://img4.imageshack.us/i/skinnykido.jpg/)

Here's what I looked like on Friday, sans shirt. I weigh 187 pounds and I'd guess my body fat percentage is around 20%:
I suck at positioning cameras (http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/8697/img1567q.jpg)

Within the past year I've paid a lot of attention to my diet and made some major changes. This time last year I was about the same weight, but eating like crap (lots of mass gainers, bread, and pasta). I intentionally lost a lot of weight, but have since regained it. This time, however, I put a lot more importance on eating more vegetables and less starchy carbs. It has helped, because while I weigh more, I still feel relatively lean.

On most days I eat a big serving of vegetables for 3 of my meals. I'd like to be able to get that up to 4. I'd also like to find a way to eat more whole food sources of protein, because while whey is good, I'm getting tired of it.

My remaining goals are:
1. Bulk up to a weight of 200+ pounds (exact number to be determined later)
2. Diet down off that to a lean 200 or 190 lbs, with a body fat percentage of at least 12%.
3. Implement swimming as a cardiovascular exercise during that process.

I set my body fat percentage at a realistic level, because with my genes I think that's as low as I'm gonna get without taking thousands of dollars of supplements. However, if I can get that low, I'm gonna try and make it to single digits. < 10% would be awesome.

Animeniax
Sun, 02-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Damn, very impressive Xan. The 40+ lb difference is huge. Keep up the great work! Do you find the added size/muscle interferes with other activities, like playing guitar?

I've been working at getting rid of my gut, but it's been hit and miss with my school/work schedule and poor eating habits. The rest of my fitness goals and body shaping are going great.

XanBcoo
Sun, 02-14-2010, 09:51 PM
Aside from not feeling like a strong breeze could knock me over, I feel no different. I'm not all jacked to the point of immobility, I'm just flexing in that picture.

What are you doing to get rid of your gut? That's usually the last thing to go on males, and you'll only get rid of it as you approach single digit body fat, which is determined by your diet. I know you know the basics, so just try to make better eating decisions. Only have sugar and starches after you work out or first thing in the morning and make sure you're eating enough protein. Like I mentioned, the bulk of your diet should be vegetables. Eating late at night before bed is totally fine as long as it's good fats, protein, and veggies.

"Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym."

Animeniax
Sun, 02-14-2010, 10:53 PM
I guess since it was a gradual increase from 145 to 187, you wouldn't notice the difference in day-to-day activities. Way to stick with it, 200 isn't far off.

I'm trying to eat right, but I like pasta and grains too much, and lately I've been liking chocolates. I've also been bad recently about eating to the point of over-satiation. I'm testing a theory that I sleep better with a full stomach, but if it's true then it's a trade-off between a good night's sleep (which I need for my full school and work schedules) and easily losing this gut.

Really the gut is only noticeable after I eat a big meal, but I'd love to have a flat stomach.

XanBcoo
Mon, 02-15-2010, 02:32 AM
I'm testing a theory that I sleep better with a full stomach, but if it's true then it's a trade-off between a good night's sleep (which I need for my full school and work schedules) and easily losing this gut.
Well, all that other stuff you should definitely cut out, but there's nothing wrong with eating before bed. Just make sure it's stuff that your body can break down slowly as you sleep. Things like natural peanut butter, fruit, cottage cheese.

My bedtime meal is a shake made of a banana, 1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese and yogurt, 1 scoop of vanilla whey, coconut milk, and blueberry tea. It's really filling and all the casein protein makes it good for bedtime.

I also snack on this peanut butter late at night: http://www.naturallymore.com/nutrition.html

Assertn
Tue, 02-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I need to work more on my back and shoulders, but all around I'm making great progress. I decided to ramp up my routine, so now I go to the gym three times a week for an hour each, and receive kettlebell training an additional two times a week for an hour to an hour and a half each.

I've been eating out a lot less for lunch and a lot more turkey sandwiches, which should help as well, but other than that I still generally don't watch my diet much. Then again my brother is pretty ripped and he eats at chipotle ALL THE TIME, soooo.....

Sapphire
Tue, 02-16-2010, 12:43 PM
DEAR GOD XAN. AMAZING!

I suddenly became interested in running and getting in better shape this winter break. I made a plan to run half an hour every day for 60 days. On the first two days my legs felt like steel. The third and fourth days they felt like they were melting. But after that I could feel myself getting stronger and stronger and my stamina boosts were AMAZING and very noticeable. I anticipated an increase in concentration abilities and metabolism as well.

And then school started/I got sick. It doesn't help that I always feel really tired after coming back from class. My eating habits swing from horrible to excellent. So I completely lost my groove and I haven't been to the gym for like three weeks. And now I'm fairly certain that my hard work has gone down the toilet and means nothing now so I've been having initiation anxiety!

I've decided that the best time I can start up again is today though. Before I was doing 5 mins of running/REALLY pushing myself running alternately, with a minute or so walking rest in between.Like a variation of HIIT. When I got used to the speed I would just increase everything by .5. I want to continue that method.

I feel like running rather than biking/swimming/eliptical because I feel like running is the most efficient use of my time. My brother says I should lift light weights to build lean muscle and up my metabolism. I want to become very lean and not bulky. Any eating/exercise tips?

XanBcoo
Tue, 02-16-2010, 01:46 PM
My brother says I should lift light weights to build lean muscle and up my metabolism. I want to become very lean and not bulky. Any eating/exercise tips
Yeah, you won't become bulky. Ever. Like it's literally impossible unless you take steroids, or eat like 2000 extra calories a day while on a bodybuilding workout routine. Anyway, you should definitely lift weights if you wanna look better. Here's an amazing site for women:

http://www.stumptuous.com/

I've seen girls swear by it time and time again. I've also given it to all my female friends who've asked me for good resources and they all love it. It's got some good articles, explanations of exercises, and a list of several good routines (up under "training" and "workout ideas"). Most of the advice on that site is appropriate for men as well, it's just dressed up in a "tre chic" feminine package. It's actually got a good article debunking the "I don't want to get bulky" fear.

That's cool that you do HIIT. For anyone else who doesn't know what HIIT is:

http://www.hiitsource.com/
http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_100/135_fitness_tip.html

Basically it's the most effective way to do cardio workouts. The idea is that instead of running at a steady pace for long periods of time, you run at short intervals (like a minute each) of intense speed and slower speed for a total of about 20 minutes. It sounds gimmicky, but it's been proven to be the best method to burn fat. If you complain that you don't have time to go running for several hours a day, this is for you because it takes 10-20 minutes tops and is actually a much better workout.

I've been eating out a lot less for lunch and a lot more turkey sandwiches, which should help as well, but other than that I still generally don't watch my diet much. Then again my brother is pretty ripped and he eats at chipotle ALL THE TIME, soooo.....
Yeah, some people get pretty lucky :(. If you are anything like me, though, you'd have to stick to a diet pretty rigidly if you wanna see any noticeable results. What are your goals?

Here's a link for everyone. I've posted this before, but it bears reposting. Dr. John Berardi's 7 rules for a healthy diet. If you're not even close to following this, all your exercising effort is wasted:

http://www.tomvenuto.com/articles/rules_of_nutrition.shtml

1. Eat every 3 hours
2. Eat lean protein at every meal
3. Eat vegetables at every meal
4. Only eat starchy carbs within 1 hour of working out (or in the morning)
5. Eat only "good" fats
6. Drink only 0 calorie drinks
7. Eat mostly whole foods

Assertn
Tue, 02-16-2010, 02:19 PM
You can weight lift without getting bulky. Just focus on more reps with lighter weights.

@Xan: I feel pretty good about my routine. I think as long as I commit to it, I should be fine. When I go to the gym, I work out with my friend who has a lot of weight lifting experience (his dad is a fire chief, and he used to be able to bench 300). I'm generally sore the next day, so I feel pretty accomplished. I also cut out a lot of really greasy stuff and I mostly drink water and tea.

XanBcoo
Tue, 02-16-2010, 03:09 PM
You can weight lift without getting bulky. Just focus on more reps with lighter weights.
This is sort of true but not really. The caveat is if you're doing any more than about 15 reps per set, you're wasting your time.

Any person, regardless of their sex, is ideally going to want to do between 5 and 10 reps per set of heavy weight. In the end, the determining factor in getting bigger isn't what sort of workout you are doing, it's your diet. 100%. If a woman isn't eating (and injecting) like a bodybuilder, she won't become one.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=don7aNiNALA

Animeniax
Sun, 03-07-2010, 12:47 PM
I've been going to the gym twice a week for the past semester and a half, and now I'm going 3 times a week. I'm up to 158 lbs on an empty stomach, which is 8 lbs heavier than the last time I weighed myself more than 3 months ago. I'm almost halfway to my goal of 170 lbs before I join the police academy.

XanBcoo
Sun, 03-07-2010, 02:24 PM
That's good news broseph. What does your workout routine look like?

Animeniax
Sun, 03-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Every T+Th I run for 1.5 miles (time constraints) then go to Hapkido class (good cardio and stretching) then lift weights for 30 minutes. Now that I have to work on campus on Saturdays (my dept just started Sat hours) I go to the gym after work and run 2 miles then lift weights for 45 minutes.

I need to start lifting heavier and my diet is still victim to my somewhat busy work/school lifestyle.

The thing is I won't be joining the academy for another 2 years, so I have plenty of time (maybe too much time unless working out/living healthy becomes a lifestyle rather than a chore) to reach my goals and possibly change them and go even further (me at 5'8" 185 would be ridiculous though).

Penner
Sun, 03-07-2010, 04:50 PM
Nice to see other people who like working out ^^

When i was in middle and highschool the teachers and whatever all kept telling me to eat more cause i was too skinny, and the fact that i've always been somewhat tall just made me look even skinnier -.-

I've been lifting weights kinda on-off for a couple of years.. like, i get a gym card and train for 3-4 months or so, then for some reason i tend to stop, then start again after a few months, making the previous training almost moot, i have however managed to keep a little of my muscle gains from each time ive trained so over the years its gradually increased.

Now i've gotten a good "groove" going and i train 2-4 times a week, depending on various things.

I've never used a "fixed" work-out schedule, i've always just trained as i like :P

I'm 26 years old, 6'1 (187cm) tall and currently weigh in at around 192 lbs (~87kg)

XanBcoo
Sun, 03-07-2010, 05:30 PM
I've never used a "fixed" work-out schedule, i've always just trained as i like :P
How does that work for you? I was never so lucky.

I spent about 2 years lifting haphazardly, going 5 days a week and doing whatever I felt like in the gym, all while eating "a little better" and it didn't do me any good. I maybe put on 7 pounds and never got any stronger. It wasn't until I started following Berardi's 7 rules and putting myself on a set lifting program that I started getting strong as fuck/bursting out of my clothes/etc.

Personal update from my last post: I'm at 188-189 pounds and I've only been able to increase my deadlift to 305. I had to stay at 195 for bench and go back down to 190 for squats to work on my form. I can't wait until I break 200 for both of those.

Slow and steady, though.

Raven
Sun, 03-07-2010, 10:29 PM
It's been a fair few years since I posted in this thread (page 2, if anyone cares), (http://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php?p=281371&postcount=33) and lots has happened in my life since then. I'm now around the 83kg mark (182 lbs) and I've joined a new gym after having moved house.

Over the time since that post I made I've started working full time which really cuts down on the amount of exercise I can do, as opposed to then when I had all the time I wanted. Looking back, I can see I've focused a little too heavily on weights and lifting as much as I can for as many reps possible, and I've neglected cardio a little too much. My arms, shoulders, chest and legs are a bit tanked, and probably a little too big for my liking when I look at myself today, and I think I need to shed some overall body fat.

Never really been one to get into the whole science of it though. Never measured percentages or anything like that. Since moving house and joining this new gym I've been doing boxing and step classes as part of a plan to focus more on cardio to slim down a bit and get rid of the slight man-boobs I've got going. You wouldn't look at me and call me fat, but I'm 6"3 and solidly built with about 3 years of consistent weights behind me so I'd like to be more slim and streamline. The plan is to shed those kilos as much as possible.

Gotta cut back on all the pastas, breads and rice, it's not doing me any favors at the moment. I need to build up my stamina so I'll try to run more as well. Snacking on vegetables during the day is better than just eating whatever's available at the time.

I think my problem is that I don't plan it enough. Like Xan mentioned above, it's all very haphazard, but lots of it (I can be pretty extreme when I set my mind to something) and whatever I feel like at the time. It also falls under the "eat a little better" umbrella at the moment.

poopdeville
Mon, 03-08-2010, 02:15 AM
I used to play foot ball (by which I mean "soccer"), and so ran about 40 miles a week. I was still a big fat ass though. I learned about lifting weights at a pretty "serious" Florida gym. I did that on and off for years, getting "big" and "small" (but always fat). I lost a bunch of weight a few years ago, and slowly gained it back. Atkins was too boring to keep up forever. Now I'm on the pizza and beer diet, where I eat about 1500 calories worth of pizza and beer in a day. And I drink lots of water and eat my vitamins. And I lift weights, do squats, and 100 sit ups on an exercise ball every 3 days. I do interval training (with a standup bike) the next day.

That routine gives my muscles enough time to heal between sessions. They always hurt like hell on the second day after a work out, but they suddenly feel better on the third day -- the next workout day.

I used to go crazy with the weight when I was in high school. After a lot of foot ball, my legs were pretty strong. And then I started doing squats, and was able to inline squat like 850 pounds a few weeks later. It was pretty sweet when a buddy and me both kicked a soccer ball simultaneously and hard, Rasengan + Chidori style, and I flipped him end over end, as he was airborne and my foot pushed his backwards. Also, it's kind of fun to walk fast while you're in downtown Portland, and then accidentally JUMP three feet into the air Mario-style because the person in front of you suddenly stops for no apparent reason (and slamming your foot down instead of stepping is the only way you can stop). I got funny looks that day.

I would put on an extra five pounds of weight on my bench presses every week. That's fast... people would tell me to be careful. And they would end up carrying a bit of weight if they spotted me, but I always made it to 15-12-8 reps without help (while going for 8-to-failure as a goal) or even 15-12-8-8 reps. The rationale for that breakdown of sets is to tire your muscles out quickly in the first and middle of the second set, so you are in "failure mode" for something like 16 to 24 reps. It's TOUGH to push or pull in that state. Your muscles aren't even tired so much as your brain is tired of signaling your muscles to push or pull. This is why people strain when they lift: their nervous systems are trying to find new muscles to signal to in order to lift the load. Making "new connections". It's like learning how to roll your tongue or wiggle your ears. http://www.wikihow.com/Wiggle-Your-Ears Straining is like the "experiment" part. With a little practice, you can lift the same load with less effort. You will "know how it feels", and so can focus your concentration on it instead of wasting effort (and brain chemicals) on straining.

Strengthening the nervous system is an important part of strength training. Probably the most important part. At least if you want to get strong. There are better things to focus on if you want to get big.

I have always hated cardio workouts. Too boring. Sport can be an exception, if you at least have to put your mind to work to win. I hurt my ankle pretty badly in college, so I haven't played any team sports for a long time.

Penner
Mon, 03-08-2010, 08:23 AM
OT: I've never really understood why the hell americans call it "Football", the ball touches a players foot like.. once?

Whereas soccer is like the definition of the word Football, they kick a ball the entire game using only their feet.

Sup with that? :P

XanBcoo
Tue, 03-09-2010, 05:45 PM
And then I started doing squats, and was able to inline squat like 850 pounds a few weeks later.
Wait, really? Are you talking ass-to-grass or just like, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHOamOtVtEs)?

I also have a part of my routine that's similar to what you described, called a rest pause set. I do one heavy compound exercise (bench, squat, overhead, or deadlift) getting a 3-5 rep max, then I move onto the rest pause, where I go to failure for 3 sets, taking no more than 20 seconds in between. It's been really effective.

poopdeville
Tue, 03-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Wait, really? Are you talking ass-to-grass or just like, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHOamOtVtEs)?

Squatting lower than my current toilet seat, so my knees were bent at about 85 degrees at the bottom. It was an incline squat, so it was 30% or so relatively lighter. (So I could presumably do about 500 pounds standing -- but then again, my core would have to be much stronger to do it standing, too)

Animeniax
Tue, 03-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Supposedly Apollo Ono can squat 1800 lbs. He claimed so to a paparazzo.

I need to do more lower body work but my legs are getting nicely toned and stronger just by running.

And today I strained\sprained something in my forearm while doing biceps curls. So that will impede my progress. And Spring break starts this weekend, which will further impede my progress.

Rekeco
Wed, 03-10-2010, 12:11 PM
I never knew this thread existed. Was about to start one too, good thing I searched.

My girlfriend and I started doing half-marathons and sprint triathalons last year, and this year we're just training for a few that are coming up.

A couple of years ago, I would of never thought that I would be doing these type of activities. I was 240 lbs, and being 5' 7.5", I was quite round. I'm down to 185 after going up and down, building muscle and losing fat. It's been wonderful and I found something I enjoy doing... running.

One day I want to do a full Iron Man competition, but for right now ... I think I'ma try to do a full marathon sometime this year.

XanBcoo
Wed, 03-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Damn man, that's really cool. Good job on losing all that weight.

Rekeco
Wed, 03-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Damn man, that's really cool. Good job on losing all that weight.

Thanks, it took a while though. Haha, I like to eat >.<, one of my biggest downfalls haha. Its quite doable though, never give up.

KitKat
Wed, 03-10-2010, 03:41 PM
I was running nearly every day at the end of last summer, but stopped once it started to get cold outside. I'm hoping to get back into it starting this week though, now that spring is apparently here. My goal is to be able to increase my endurance so that I can run my whole route without stopping by July. Wish me luck!

XanBcoo
Wed, 03-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks, it took a while though. Haha, I like to eat >.<, one of my biggest downfalls haha. Its quite doable though, never give up.
Unfortunately for us skinny guys, putting on substantial weight/muscle is as hard as losing weight is for big guys. I'm hoping to break 190 this week though.

Good luck running KitKat! Definitely post any progress you make in this thread for support.

All this talk about running/playing sports/marathons is making me really anxious to start swimming.

Rekeco
Wed, 03-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Unfortunately for us skinny guys, putting on substantial weight/muscle is as hard as losing weight is for big guys. I'm hoping to break 190 this week though.

Good luck running KitKat! Definitely post any progress you make in this thread for support.

All this talk about running/playing sports/marathons is making me really anxious to start swimming.

Oh I totally agree! I have a lot of friends who are quite skinny and are trying to bulk up, and it's really hard. I'll echo you in the fact that it's easier to burn fat then bulk up with muscle. Good luck with that man, you can do it. Taking any protein supplements?

I'm waiting for it to be a bit hotter. I'm going to go back to my old high school and start swimming everyday!

shinta|hikari
Wed, 03-10-2010, 10:31 PM
I used to weigh 216 pounds at 5'7 four years ago. I spent 5 months low carb dieting and going to the gym and lost 50 pounds. I stayed at around 156 pounds for a few years, maybe fluctuating a bit depending on my lifestyle.

Two years ago, I gained 30 pounds after almost becoming an alcoholic by drinking at least 350 ml of brandy almost every night and shoving down chips like there is no tomorrow. Then I took a look at a picture of myself and decided to get fit.

Now I am 136 pounds. I do HIIT running 3-4x a week, and do light weight training during the off days. I also swim once a week for cardio. I am not really interested in bulking up too much. I like the slim and muscular look more than the scary bouncer type.

XanBcoo
Wed, 03-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Oh I totally agree! I have a lot of friends who are quite skinny and are trying to bulk up, and it's really hard. I'll echo you in the fact that it's easier to burn fat then bulk up with muscle. Good luck with that man, you can do it. Taking any protein supplements?
Yeah, a staple of my diet is ON's whey isolate. It's one of the cheapest sources of protein: http://www.optimumnutrition.com/products/100-whey-gold-standard-p-201.html

I try to follow John Berardi's 7 rules (that I posted one page back) and have as many whole food sources as possible, but time/money usually means I'm having a meal with the whey supplement. I'd say on average that for at least 3 of my 6-7 meals a day, the protein is coming from that.

I will, however, try to make sure that each meal is balanced. Like if I make a protein shake, I'll include cottage cheese for protein, natural peanut butter for fat, blueberries and spinach for carbs, and use the protein powder to add more calories and flavor.

I am not really interested in bulking up too much. I like the slim and muscular look more than the scary bouncer type.
The two common celebrities that men say fit their ideal body type seem to be Brad Pitt from Fight Club and Hugh Jackman.

Between the two I'd say my ideal was closer to Jackman. I want to be lean, but solid, not waifish.

Penner
Thu, 03-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Ya, i'd go with Jackman's bodytype over Brad's any day tbh :P

shinta|hikari
Thu, 03-11-2010, 08:02 AM
I prefer Brad's body type, but that is also because it fits my body type and height more.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 03-11-2010, 08:05 AM
Jackman's more ideal to me too. Brad's too wiry.

Edit: Actually... it's hard to say. Google image turns up with both of them varying a fair bit. Most of Brad's shirtless pics don't look good IMO from Fight Club, but this would be something I'd be aiming for:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/brad%20pitt%20fight%20club%20body/bullyman2/brad-pitt-six-pack-abs.jpg

Brad's got more definition than Jackman, so I'd strike halfway if that's an option. If not, then I'd go Brad.

My biggest problem would be giving up rice/pasta/noodles. That's like..75% of my diet.

Rekeco
Thu, 03-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Jackman's more ideal to me too. Brad's too wiry.

Edit: Actually... it's hard to say. Google image turns up with both of them varying a fair bit. Most of Brad's shirtless pics don't look good IMO from Fight Club, but this would be something I'd be aiming for:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/brad%20pitt%20fight%20club%20body/bullyman2/brad-pitt-six-pack-abs.jpg

Brad's got more definition than Jackman, so I'd strike halfway if that's an option. If not, then I'd go Brad.

My biggest problem would be giving up rice/pasta/noodles. That's like..75% of my diet.

Actually, in terms of diet. Pasta, rice, and noodles will always be hard to give up but necessary unless you are already athletic fit (4-9% body fat for males) in which you need those carbs to fuel your body.

Check out the diet from P90X if you can, phase 3 is a very Carb heavy workout diet.

itadakimasu
Fri, 03-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Does anybody goto the sauna?

I like to enjoy a good steam sometimes after I work out. It's refreshing I think

Animeniax
Fri, 03-12-2010, 03:59 PM
From a fitness perspective I never saw the purpose of using a sauna. Maybe to relax muscles but then I just feel fatigued and helpless. Maybe if they instituted unisex saunas.

Rekeco
Sat, 03-13-2010, 01:08 AM
Does anybody goto the sauna?

I like to enjoy a good steam sometimes after I work out. It's refreshing I think

If it makes you feel better/refreshed, go for them. They are supposed to relax you and your body.

Some people do it as a means of losing weight, which is one way to use them, but to be honest it's just water weight that you are losing. Go in if you want to relax that body.

Sapphire
Fri, 05-28-2010, 02:23 AM
I saw a girl sprinting at like, 11.0 for an extended period of time. My new fitness idol.

darkshadow
Fri, 05-28-2010, 04:46 AM
11.0? on a threadmill? That's not bad.
I do mine at 13.0 though >_>.

Sapphire
Fri, 05-28-2010, 04:52 AM
DS You damn show off! Teach me, oh Sensei.

Also what do you guys to do fight off a hella increased appetite due to workouts? (Or more diet tips please)

DB_Hunter
Fri, 05-28-2010, 06:27 AM
Chicken.

Nuff said.

itadakimasu
Fri, 05-28-2010, 09:22 AM
Sapphire : Maybe "healthy" snacks... I usually have fiber 1 bars around the house that are only 140 calories and usually will do the trick.

I've been working out more the past 2 weeks. Trying to get to 180ish from 205. I weighed in this morning @ 196!

Have also been taking No Xplode NT before workouts for the last week aside from last night and the night before. It gives an energy boost and helped me push my workout past my general hour stopping point.

XanBcoo
Fri, 05-28-2010, 10:50 AM
DS You damn show off! Teach me, oh Sensei.

Also what do you guys to do fight off a hella increased appetite due to workouts? (Or more diet tips please)

Short answer, eat the right types of foods more frequently. Read as many of these articles as you can:

http://www.stumptuous.com/category/eating/how_to_eat

Start from the bottom up. Don't be afraid to eat big after a workout, because that's when your body will metabolize food the best. Just make sure you're eating "right".

If you need to snack, eat nuts. Almonds and cashews are the best.

XanBcoo
Thu, 06-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Finally squatted 205 for 3 sets of 5 today. I've been stuck at 200 for so long. I finally backed down in weight and started over from 150. My legs are weak as hell, but I'm counting every victory.

I'm also stuck at 195 pounds. Not having a job means not having the money to buy enough food to get big as hell :(.

I've been doing this variation of Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength workout and can confirm that it is very good (for males and females alike):

http://newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2007/06/starting-strength-style-workout-take.html

Animeniax
Thu, 06-17-2010, 07:39 PM
Finally squatted 205 for 3 sets of 5 today. I've been stuck at 200 for so long. I finally backed down in weight and started over from 150. My legs are weak as hell, but I'm counting every victory.

I've found running is filling out and toning my butt, thighs, and calves well, if not entirely making them stronger. Not sure how much I can squat but I think for functional strength, nothing beats running.

poopdeville
Thu, 06-17-2010, 07:46 PM
I started doing Tabata intervals a few weeks ago. It's pretty sweet. The routine takes four minutes, but it was clinically proven to increase aerobic capacity as much as an hour of aerobic exercise a day, and also improves anaerobic capacity. You do 8 20 second long sets, doing as much of a full body exercise as you can (typically, people aim for 8 reps per set). You take a 10 second break between sets, so you can do two sets per minute.

I'm doing about 65 squats and shoulder presses (65 "thrusts") in 4 minutes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training#Tabata_Method

For functional strength, Tabatas beat running.

XanBcoo
Thu, 06-17-2010, 11:43 PM
Hah, I was going to say that sounds exactly like HIIT, and then I clicked the link and saw that it was indeed a form of HIIT.

Sounds pretty strenuous. Do you do different lifts or just squats? Are they weighted or is it just bodyweight?

@Ani, running is obviously good, but I'm still going for size and strength gains. And yeah, if you're looking for a "toned" look (meaning less bodyfat and more muscle), then some form of HIIT (http://www.hiitsource.com/) will benefit you the most.

Assassin
Fri, 06-18-2010, 01:40 AM
I started biknig again this summer...at first just for fun but starting this week i actually started going longer to better my cardio. Im doing about a 30-35k around town, and though thats quite a bit more then what i would've expected (comparing to my condition when i started) it doesn't feel like its doing what it should. I dont know if thats because i've made slight progress, if im just getting used to it or if its actually not as difficult as im making it out to be. Anyone know what/how that would convert to in terms of running (as in laps)?

That HIIT thing sounds interesting and i think i'll give it a try since my goals match pretty much exactly with what its intended for......but do i need any sort of weights, or can it be altered for people who dont have any equipment and no gym access?

poopdeville
Fri, 06-18-2010, 01:55 AM
Hah, I was going to say that sounds exactly like HIIT, and then I clicked the link and saw that it was indeed a form of HIIT.

Sounds pretty strenuous. Do you do different lifts or just squats? Are they weighted or is it just bodyweight?.

You can do pretty much any strenuous exercise, as long as it activates lots of major muscles. Squat thrusts are good since they hit your ass, quads, hams, abs, shoulders, triceps, and even your biceps a little. I was lifting 15 pounds in each hand before, moved up to 20 today, and struggled as much as I did on the first day of 15. That's pretty good progress, I think (I did 55 or so shoulder presses and 65 squats). I haven't really switched up the exercise I do though. I don't think I'm strong enough for burpees. I guess I could cycle, but dealing with traffic and stop lights kind of ruins the timing aspect of it.

Tabata Burpees: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmuSgwCNSgE

@Assassin: I don't have any gym access, but I've bought a few bits of exercise equipment. I have an exercise bike and 3 pairs of dumbbells. (I got the bike for $40 on Craigslist.)

You can definitely do HIIT with cycling. Warm up, and then do 1 minute at high (but not maximum) effort, and slow down for a minute. Do ten reps of that. Or do it the Tabata way, where you go at your maximum for 20 seconds, and then rest for 10.

You can do it with running, but it is supposedly very hard on the body. You need to have good running form to be able to sprint at top speed for 20 seconds at a time, eight times, without getting hurt.

Like I said, I do squat thrusts for my Tabata HIIT, so I do find the dumbbells useful.

XanBcoo
Fri, 06-18-2010, 02:08 AM
You can do basically any exercise in HIIT format. Weights, running, bodyweight exercises, anything.

I know a lot of people who have said they use jump ropes, which are pretty cheap. I used to run on an elliptical, then tried rowing machines. You can do anything as long as you keep a 2:1 intense/rest ratio.

That site I linked to used to have example tables and charts for different intensity levels. Dunno what happened to them.

Edit: Oops, didn't see Poop's reply. Yeah, basically what he said.

You can do pretty much any strenuous exercise, as long as it activates lots of major muscles.
Ah, I see. So mainly compound lifts. I'll keep that in mind.

Assassin
Sat, 06-19-2010, 08:53 PM
Tabata Burpees: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmuSgwCNSgE

The conditioning classes i was attending until recently had alot of thse (mind you, it was in addition to a whole lot of other similar shit for an hour) and i can say from experience they are god damn brutal. I nearly throw up every time.

KitKat
Sat, 04-09-2011, 03:08 PM
I'm resurrecting this thread to ramble a bit. I've recently changed up my routine due to a number of factors. Firstly, I booked a week-long canoe trip in the Yukon for August. Then I realized, crap, I'm nowhere near in good enough shape right now to survive a week of intensive canoeing. Secondly, one of my friends quit sugar. She's as much of a sugar addict as I am (yes, I have been known to eat only oreos for dinner or pie for breakfast on occasion) so I told her I'd spend a week off of sugar as well in support. Thirdly, my roommates have been talking a lot about making healthy meals in the house lately. Fourthly, my weight hasn't fluctuated very much in the past 10 years, but this semester after having my appendix out I was stuck under strict orders to not do any strenuous exercise for 2 months, which led to some of my pants becoming a bit tight. Lastly, I've never had a regular exercise routine that lasted beyond a month. At 28 years old, it's about time to be disciplined about my health, since if I don't maintain it now I'll be in trouble later in life.

So, due to the combination of all the factors above, I have embarked on a plan named, "KitKat Becomes Even More Super Awesome!" After surviving the first week without sugar, I figure I can keep it up and just eliminate it 90% of the time (I'm reserving 10% so I can still make pie and cookies when I want to >_> ). I'm paying a lot more attention to what I'm eating, and staying away from processed crap, as well as bringing my lunches to school instead of just buying food on campus. Now that the weather is nice again, I've begun to get back into running, though I still don't really like it. My roommate does pilates at home via youtube on the tv, so I tried out that with her and was excruciatingly sore the next day. I think I'll try to keep that up as well. I'm still too scared to visit a real gym (and too cheap).

It's hard for me to find time to fit these things into my schedule being in the middle of the end of the semester and swamped with projects and papers, but after about a week and a half of implementing my plan, it seems to be going well. I've lost about 6 lbs and my pants fit like the did pre-appendectomy. I'm feeling pretty good, and I think I'm on track to reach my goal of being in shape for canoeing in August. Though, I think I need to find more activities to work on upper-body strength. It's still early on, but I really want to keep this up not just till August, but hopefully as a lifelong habit. Being a non-athletic sugar-junkie, it's going to be long and difficult over the next few months.

So anyhow, just wanted to let you guys know that you can keep me accountable, and make sure I'm on track. If anyone else wants to join in on the "Becoming Even More Super Awesome" plan, we can implement it together. My goal is to be able to post weekly updates here to let you know how it's going.

XanBcoo
Sat, 04-09-2011, 05:08 PM
I figure I can keep it up and just eliminate it 90% of the time (I'm reserving 10% so I can still make pie and cookies when I want to >_> ).

Actually, those are exactly the numbers you should shoot for, but make sure you stay consistent. Once again, Dr. Berardi clarifies:

8) Have 10% foods.

I know you cringed at a few of the rules above – perhaps #6 in particular. But here’s a bit of a reprieve. 10% foods are foods that don’t necessarily follow the rules above – but food’s you’re still allowed to eat (or drink) 10% of the time.

100% nutritional discipline is never required for optimal progress. The difference, in results, between 90% adherence to your nutrition program and 100% adherence is negligible.

Just make sure you do the math and determine what 10% of the time really means. For example, if you’re eating 6 meals per day for 7 days of the week – that’s 42 meals. 10% of 42 is about 4. Therefore you’re allowed to “break the rules” 4 meals each week.

Uchiha Barles
Mon, 06-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Alright, I started Insanity this past weekend. I've completed the fit test and two workouts proper. Now, this is a 60 day program and you're supposed to do it everyday during this sixty day period. My issue is that I'm training martial arts 3 days a week with a trainer, and the training there is extremely demanding. Should I do the Insanity workout on those days that I meet with my trainer? If not, how should I handle the Insanity program?

enkoujin
Mon, 06-20-2011, 11:21 PM
I'm not a bodybuilder, so I'm lacking a lot of credibility on this.

It sounds like you shouldn't really push your body that hard. If it's a sixty-day regiment and you have martial arts three times a week, then simply postpone your "Insanity" workout to the days after your martial arts. It will increase your routine to another six weeks after the two months (assuming you're still taking martial arts after the two months). Otherwise, I guess you could always do a lighter version of your insanity workout routine on the days you do have martial arts.

However, it's important that you do give your muscles a break the day after your training. If you're in a routine of constant cardio, it should be fine. If you think that keeping up with this "Insanity" routine is too tough to commit, I do recommend checking out CrossFit, which is a form of boot-camp military training set to improve performance in all muscles of the body for a rigorous 20 minutes per day routine:

http://www.crossfit.com

And try to follow the workout of the day but adjust accordingly to your abilities and to take longer rests when you need it (since there are a few people who die doing CrossFit).

Archangel
Sat, 07-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Anyone around here actively working out? I'd like someone to compare stats, training methods and nutrition tips.

These are my current stats, started lifting seriously 5 months ago:

http://i.imgur.com/q04BP.jpg

http://www.strstd.com/

XanBcoo
Sat, 07-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Jesus Christ I'm weaker than I thought:
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/9875/htfu.png

I can attribute this pitiful display to two factors:

1. My first year of teaching was a horrible bitch. I lost 10 lbs, ate horribly, and seriously fell off the horse as far as training went.

2. I have no consistent support system. None of my friends have kept up with me in weight lifting, and I'm constantly having to correct my own mistakes over the course of months, rather than days. I have no basis for comparison and no one to compete against as I'm the strongest person in my group of friends.

Archangel
Sat, 07-02-2011, 06:11 PM
How tall are you and what's your bf%? Is there any particular method you prefer?

For the record I'm 1.72m, 14% and am not currently following any particular method.

XanBcoo
Sun, 07-03-2011, 12:09 AM
6'0'' and roughly 20% bodyfat. I've been bulking for about 2 years, from 140 lbs to 200 currently.

I've done about 4 different routines, all of which are light on cardio until I start cutting.

Edit: These are some of the routines I've done:
http://newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2007/06/starting-strength-style-workout-take.html

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Bill_Starr_5x5

Edit 2: I also have a degenerative muscle disease in my legs so my squat numbers are much lower than they should be. I've done pretty well, considering.

Archangel
Mon, 07-04-2011, 03:23 PM
Managed 10 squat reps of 100 Kgs today, feels good

XanBcoo
Mon, 07-04-2011, 03:27 PM
That's really good. Took me a long time to get up that high. How is your squat form?

Watching Rippetoe's coaching sessions and understanding the basic concept of hip movement, and the idea that you should "move the bar in a vertical line" really helped me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yha2XAc2qu8

Archangel
Mon, 07-04-2011, 03:40 PM
I use a smith bar, my gym doesn't really have a squat bar besides that one. I don't go quite as low as Rippetoe would have wanted, people keep telling me it's a surefire way to bust out your knees at an early age.

XanBcoo
Mon, 07-04-2011, 05:20 PM
The idea that it's unsafe to squat below parallel is actually a myth!

Doing full (below parallel/ASS TO GRASS) squats are better for your knees because they remove tension from your kneecaps and distribute the weight across your butt, hamstrings, calves, and hip abductors. You get a fuller Range of Motion and increased flexibility and strength gains. It's actually the more "natural" movement: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=128243861

Obviously you should do what feels comfortable and safe, but moving into a full squat position is far more beneficial and demonstrably safer. Especially on a Smith machine (I even do ass to grass squats on free weights, and I have a slight handicap against me).

The only issue is you have to worry about keeping your lower back straight and concentrate on the hip drive movement. That just comes with experience.

Edit: Thinking of rebooting this thread with a new OP, link to this thread, and links to helpful sites/videos/dicussions/etc. The OP in this thread is awful and not helpful whatsoever.

Archangel
Mon, 07-04-2011, 05:35 PM
If anything this should be left as it is and our discussion should have its own thread, cardio bunnies could sort their shit around here while us real men discussed our business elsewhere.

Archangel
Mon, 07-11-2011, 03:04 PM
New PR for my bench press, 6 reps of 94kg

Getting dangerously close to my squatting PR... don't want to become one of those asshole that can bench more than he can squat

XanBcoo
Mon, 07-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Really good. Is that free weight or machine?

I actually did close to that today during my chest day. 4 reps of 205.

Archangel
Mon, 07-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Free Weight, not really a fan of machines or even the smith bar for benching

XanBcoo
Mon, 07-11-2011, 05:36 PM
I really need to find some consistent partners to work out with. I'm stagnating over here.

Archangel
Mon, 07-11-2011, 05:42 PM
I actually find partners distracting, while over half the gym is talking soccer I'm doing twice their workout and breaking PRs every other week. I just ask around for the occasional spotter when the weight on top of me might actually kill me or disable me for life with a wrong move.

You might want to try energy drinks though, a banana followed by one of those guarantees that I'm at 100% throughout the whole workout.

XanBcoo
Mon, 07-11-2011, 05:50 PM
I actually find partners distracting, while over half the gym is talking soccer I'm doing twice their workout and breaking PRs every other week. I just ask around for the occasional spotter when the weight on top of me might actually kill me or disable me for life with a wrong move.

You might want to try energy drinks though, a banana followed by one of those guarantees that I'm at 100% throughout the whole workout.
I take a folic acid tablet for vitamin B and my Vertigo medicine before I work out. My body is in shambles.

Also I used to prefer working out alone until I read about the importance of support systems for fitness. I also found that when I had a partner to work out with it removed some mental blocks for me. I was no longer worried about crushing myself squatting and actually got much stronger much faster. It's also good to work out with someone stronger and experienced than you for reasons I'm sure you have witnessed in many Shounen series. It's a huge benefit if you are all focused.

I also hate asking people for a spot because everyone has their own way of spotting. I hate it when some guy comes up and grabs the bar off me when I'm clearly just struggling a little bit. Thanks for ruining my set bro.

Archangel
Fri, 07-15-2011, 03:56 PM
So what sort of supplements do you take? I'm currently on multivitamin every morning, omega-3 at lunch and sometimes at diner when i don't have tuna or salmon, whey protein at breakfast and post-workout and creatine pre-workout.

My diet is already pretty balanced as it is but i take the vitamins and omega-3 anyway because they're so damn cheap to come by and are clearly good additions to it.

Archangel
Sat, 07-23-2011, 02:20 PM
New squatting PR, 12 reps of 110kg

Archangel
Fri, 09-09-2011, 07:50 PM
New benching PR, 4 reps 100kg. Couldn't fucking move my whole torso the next day but it was totally worth it :P

I also started a new supplement recently

http://i.imgur.com/qvZla.jpg

Plain caffeine tablets, recommended by a friend. They really keep you in your toes and allow be to get the best out of each workout.

enkoujin
Mon, 09-12-2011, 11:36 PM
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff434/sanriokittyx/Gotwoot%20Forums/42493af3.jpg

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/gtea.htm

Just ordered 400 capsules of these from the above link so I can boost my nutrients, metabolism and improve the effectiveness of weight loss training.

I also have 5 pounds of protein that's going to be used somewhere within the next three or four months now that school's started again.

XanBcoo
Wed, 09-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Screwed up my rotator cuff so I've had a horrible 2 weeks. Haven't been able to do a push exercise properly in a while.

Today I substituted box squats for squats because my lower back has been straining a bit too much. Box squats are a good way to train the hip flexors and build the hamstring strength necessary to squat properly. Looking forward to improving:

Box squats coached by Dave Tate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t156u5VuBTw&feature=related

Archangel
Thu, 09-15-2011, 03:08 AM
With your back history i don't know if any squats at all are a good idea.

Why don't you use leg curls for your hamstrings and leg press for your quads? Yes, you won't progress like you would with squats but the likelihood of injury ( which you seem to be prone to ) is minimum.

You could also add leg extensions assuming you don't have bad knees as well

XanBcoo
Thu, 09-15-2011, 05:35 AM
I actually do leg presses, curls, and extensions in the routine I'm currently on.

Program 4 here (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3250231&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1)

But you're right. I might try eventually phasing squats out, or at least taking them a little more slowly in the future. Maybe replace them with Smith machine squats.

The box squats felt good yesterday, though. Having to sit up from a stool forced my hips to take most of the weight and kept my lower back straight. Usually I have the tendency to shift the weight onto my quads or even lift with my back if the weight is so heavy. Gonna try these for a while.

Archangel
Thu, 09-15-2011, 05:42 AM
You need to register to see that, and apparently there's a fee for it...?

XanBcoo
Thu, 09-15-2011, 05:43 AM
Oh, sometimes you can lurk and I guess sometimes you can't?

here it is hosted elsewhere (http://goonlifter.wikispaces.com/Alfalfa%27s+Moderate+to+Advanced+-+Size+%26+Strength+Routine)

Archangel
Tue, 10-25-2011, 06:43 PM
I've been bulking for a while now, hitting the 17% bf so i guess I'll be cutting next month.

It's gonna suck...

Assertn
Tue, 10-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Had a pretty intense workout yesterday.
40 chin-ups
50 burpees
60 atomic pushups
70 swings (w/ 40 kg weight)

Taking breaks as needed, the goal was to see how little time it takes to clear all the sets. It took me about 50 minutes. Definitely feeling it today...

Animeniax
Tue, 10-25-2011, 08:56 PM
What do you guys recommend for working biceps when my wrists keep giving me problems (hold the masturbation jokes please, this is serious).

I tend to strain my wrists doing all sorts of workouts, but mostly from preacher curls and bicep cable curls. Also judo class seems to be taking its toll with all of the pulling and tugging for throws. Today I tried to do preacher curls and couldn't lift the bar without a lot of pain in my right wrist.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-26-2011, 02:06 AM
You know what Ani? I have the exact same problem. I used to be able to do bicep curls fine around 5 years ago - but one time my wrist started hurting afterwards. I thought it would heal in a week or something, but I was mistaken. I then left it for a good 9 months, but my right wrist just can't seem to take a lot of force anymore. (When I arm-wrestle with my brother we actually have to lock wrists now insteads of grasping hands). One work-around that isn't 100% foolproof is to hold your fist vertically when you're doing your weights. My family doctor isn't very helpful when it comes to chronic conditions or old injuries, so I might ask him to refer me to a specialist. Sucks that I want to start working out in Nov, but ain't going to be covered on private health care till January.

darkshadow
Wed, 10-26-2011, 06:27 AM
The only pushups I've ever done were fist pushups or on fingers. The fist ones really strengthen your wrists.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-26-2011, 07:22 AM
The only pushups I've ever done were fist pushups or on fingers. The fist ones really strengthen your wrists.

How many fingers? All?

PS: does anyone know if those wristbands actually do anything (you know, the ones you see tennis fellows wear on TV)?

-besides absorb sweat..

Archangel
Wed, 10-26-2011, 07:40 AM
First of all, are you 2 sure you're not confusing wrist pain with forearm pain? Because undeveloped forearms are a pretty usual occurrence for people who focus too much on isolation workouts and not enough on compound exercises. It's possible that they're lagging behind your curls and causing pain.

Regardless, i'd suggest forearm isolation exercises to strengthen the muscle. Even if the problem lies in the wrists themselves it will help take pressure off of them.

Start with some Farmer's Walks (http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/farmers-walk) and plate bench (http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/plate-pinch) plus some simple bodyweight exercises like DS suggested. After you see some improvement focus more on simple compound exercises like the bench press and overhead shoulder press and eventually move on to deadlifts. I never had to focus on my forearms myself because i was always a fan of compounds from the very start.

I guess seeing a doctor to make sure where the problem lies would help as well, if it's really the forearm just push through the pain and you'll be fine. If it's the wrists, the workouts i suggested shouldn't put too much pressure on them anyway but tread more carefully.

Had a pretty intense workout yesterday.
40 chin-ups
50 burpees
60 atomic pushups
70 swings (w/ 40 kg weight)

Taking breaks as needed, the goal was to see how little time it takes to clear all the sets. It took me about 50 minutes. Definitely feeling it today...

Are you doing a crossfit program?

Animeniax
Wed, 10-26-2011, 08:16 AM
@Buff: we're probably doing exercises wrong, leading to the wrist pain.

@Arch: Thanks for the suggestions, but it's definitely my wrists and not my forearms that are giving me trouble. I think barbell presses have contributed to the pain in my wrists, as I tend to workout without a spotter and it's a lot of strain to get the weights up to start. I'm going to try the plate pinch if my wrists can handle it, they look like they'd do my forearms some good.

Archangel
Wed, 10-26-2011, 08:29 AM
At no point during a barbell press is there supposed to be pressure on your wrists, either your grip or your overall form is wrong.

Uchiha Barles
Wed, 10-26-2011, 08:35 AM
One of my favorite exercises to help develop forearm strength is to get a bar about 1in in diameter and 12-15 inches long, tie a thin wire to it, and attach a weight at the end of it. Grab the bar with both hands, one near each edge, holding it parallel to the floor at shoulder height, and simply start turning rotating the bar in your hands along it's axis such that the rope wraps around the bar as you do it, causing the weight to inch up. Once the rope is fully wrapped around the bar and the weight is at the top, rotate the bar in reverse. Repeat this three times. It might also help to get a pair of hand grips to use while you're watching television or otherwise or wasting time on the internet.

I think I've developed RSI in my left wrist from guitar playing, and now I have problems applying pressure to my wrist when the hand is bent backwards, such as when doing push ups. Any advice on how to deal with that?

Archangel
Wed, 10-26-2011, 08:59 AM
One of my favorite exercises to help develop forearm strength is to get a bar about 1in in diameter and 12-15 inches long, tie a thin wire to it, and attach a weight at the end of it. Grab the bar with both hands, one near each edge, holding it parallel to the floor at shoulder height, and simply start turning rotating the bar in your hands along it's axis such that the rope wraps around the bar as you do it, causing the weight to inch up. Once the rope is fully wrapped around the bar and the weight is at the top, rotate the bar in reverse. Repeat this three times. It might also help to get a pair of hand grips to use while you're watching television or otherwise or wasting time on the internet.

I think I've developed RSI in my left wrist from guitar playing, and now I have problems applying pressure to my wrist when the hand is bent backwards, such as when doing push ups. Any advice on how to deal with that?
Like i said, ideally you wouldn't have to focus on your forearms at all unless they're lagging your other workouts.

Knuckle push ups.

Uchiha Barles
Wed, 10-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Yeah I know, I've been doing those exercises before the RSI developed, but they're part of a set of exercises I do specifically to develop grip strength for chin na applications, not for wrist pains (though I do think they'd help for that as well). And yes, I've been doing knuckle push ups, but I meant, more generally, if there's anything I can do to get rid of the pain, or is this just some bullshit I'll have to deal with till the day I die?

Archangel
Wed, 10-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Like i said before, you can also build forearm muscle that will take off pressure from your wrists. Do this with the exercises i recommended earlier, they rely on the whole forearm and not a single point so the load will be more evenly distributed.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-26-2011, 10:21 AM
First of all, are you 2 sure you're not confusing wrist pain with forearm pain?

How would you differentiate the two?

darkshadow
Wed, 10-26-2011, 11:01 AM
How many fingers? All?

PS: does anyone know if those wristbands actually do anything (you know, the ones you see tennis fellows wear on TV)?

-besides absorb sweat..

5-2 fingers, depends on the kind of exercise. I had to do a couple of 3 finger pushups to get my TKD red belt. Most of the time 5 is hard enough though.
Wristbands don't really do anything, they are just for wiping off sweat from your face (...I think.....>_>).

And the wrist pain thing, forearm pain feels more like the tendons pulling, wrist pain feels more like....I dunno, more "boney"...>_>.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-26-2011, 11:08 AM
And the wrist pain thing, forearm pain feels more like the tendons pulling, wrist pain feels more like....I dunno, more "boney"...>_>.

Yet the location of the pain is still on the distal part of your forearm (towards the wrist), and not the proximal part (towards the elbow)?

The pain can be hard to describe. I'm not about to fully reproduce it since it'll hurt and possibly cause injury, but applying force to an immovable object gives my wrist a pain best described as "crushing".

Archangel
Wed, 10-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Forearm pain isn't felt near the elbow, more along the center and spread all the way to the wrist. That's why i mentioned it.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Hmm, nah, then it's pretty much localised to the distal region. Guess I'll get it checked out (maybe).

Assertn
Wed, 10-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Are you doing a crossfit program?
Been training with a kettlebell instructor.

Animeniax
Wed, 10-26-2011, 12:51 PM
At no point during a barbell press is there supposed to be pressure on your wrists, either your grip or your overall form is wrong.Maybe the strain to get them up in the air to the starting point is putting pressure on the wrists. It's only once per set at the start of each set, but it's enough to hurt my wrists. Plus the bicep workouts strain them too. I need a spotter.

Been training with a kettlebell instructor.That explains your newly found open-minded attitude in the gay porn thread.

Archangel
Wed, 10-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Maybe the strain to get them up in the air to the starting point is putting pressure on the wrists. It's only once per set at the start of each set, but it's enough to hurt my wrists. Plus the bicep workouts strain them too. I need a spotter.

That explains your newly found open-minded attitude in the gay porn thread.
Maybe your form is shit. Youtube some form and grip videos and fix it.

Really? Still browsing the gay porn thread?

gos27
Wed, 10-26-2011, 01:24 PM
@Ani and Buff: If the pain is bad in your wrists and it is preventing you from exercise, you're better off going to a physiotherapist. They'll more than likely sort you out ;)

Animeniax
Wed, 10-26-2011, 02:03 PM
Maybe your form is shit. Youtube some form and grip videos and fix it.Not much to do with form when you're trying to get the barbells from the ground up to your knees, then up to your shoulders, then lay down on the bench, then moving the weights into position to start the set.

@Ani and Buff: If the pain is bad in your wrists and it is preventing you from exercise, you're better off going to a physiotherapist. They'll more than likely sort you out ;)They cost money :(

gos27
Wed, 10-26-2011, 03:52 PM
They cost money :(
Yes but if it helps it's worth it ;)

Assertn
Wed, 10-26-2011, 08:07 PM
That explains your newly found open-minded attitude in the gay porn thread.
Does it? I'm not familiar with any kettlebell stereotypes, sorry.

gos27
Wed, 11-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Anyone know of any exercises to strengthen your ankles? Need to build up strength there because I have a pretty hard shot (not boasting or anything) and sometimes when I strike the ball my ankle tends to bend back because of the force. Any help is appreciated.

Archangel
Wed, 11-02-2011, 06:44 PM
What's with you guys and exercising weird body parts? Anyway, here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ahExxUBeRw).

gos27
Wed, 11-02-2011, 07:52 PM
What's with you guys and exercising weird body parts? Anyway, here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ahExxUBeRw).
Told you my reason in my post, and thanks.

Raven
Tue, 11-08-2011, 03:44 AM
What do you guys think of day-to-day diet cycling?

I've been recommended a system involving a 5-day cycle; 3 days of low carbs, with good fats (fish oil, almonds, etc), then 2 days of carb re-feeding (fruits, wholegrain pasta, brown rice) and no fats at all. Apart from that, throughout the cycle is high protein and consistent training.

Obviously the theory is to keep the body guessing and fighting off adaptation as much as possible.

I've also had people tell me this kind of system is a waste of time. Is it more dependent on your goals, lifestyle and what you're trying to achieve?

Psyke
Tue, 11-08-2011, 06:29 AM
I've been trying to clear my annual physical proficiency test to attain the highest standard (gold), but I'm having problems with my 2.4km (1.5 mile) run which I need to clear in 10 min 15 seconds for my age group. I'm not too much into physical fitness as long as I can clear this test, and I'm not a fan of working out in gyms although I like running. Currently doing intervals as advised by peers, so hopefully it works!

Buffalobiian
Tue, 11-08-2011, 06:36 AM

I've been recommended a system involving a 5-day cycle; 3 days of low carbs, with good fats (fish oil, almonds, etc), then 2 days of carb re-feeding (fruits, wholegrain pasta, brown rice) and no fats at all. Apart from that, throughout the cycle is high protein and consistent training.

Obviously the theory is to keep the body guessing and fighting off adaptation as much as possible.

I've also had people tell me this kind of system is a waste of time. Is it more dependent on your goals, lifestyle and what you're trying to achieve?

Wait, what?

So not only does your body adapt to exercise patterns, but it also adapts to make certain diets less effective? :(

I was going to go on a roast-chicken and mixed vegetables only for 2 months..

Archangel
Tue, 11-08-2011, 06:40 AM
I've been trying to clear my annual physical proficiency test to attain the highest standard (gold), but I'm having problems with my 2.4km (1.5 mile) run which I need to clear in 10 min 15 seconds for my age group. I'm not too much into physical fitness as long as I can clear this test, and I'm not a fan of working out in gyms although I like running. Currently doing intervals as advised by peers, so hopefully it works!
So are you lacking speed or endurance?

Well... what are you trying to achieve? Build muscle, endurance, strength or simply losing weight?

Psyke
Tue, 11-08-2011, 06:45 AM
So are you lacking speed or endurance?

Speed. My problem is that I can't sustain the strain on my heart and body for the required duration. And I have a upcoming marathon next month too.

Archangel
Tue, 11-08-2011, 06:48 AM
How about building more muscle mass for your quads?

I'd advise a high carb and protein diet with some weight training for your legs, but you'd gain some fat along with the muscle which would definitely get in the way of your marathon next month...

Maybe up your protein intake along with some cycling?

Psyke
Tue, 11-08-2011, 06:50 AM
I'm not disciplined enough to stay on diets, and I'm about 15 seconds away from my target during my last time trial. Hopefully this current set of intervals I'm doing will work out and I won't need to worry about muscle building, etc :P

Archangel
Tue, 11-08-2011, 06:57 AM
You weak, weak man :P

But yeah with a mere 15 seconds in your way i guess muscle training is unnecessary. It could give you an edge on your marathons though.

Animeniax
Tue, 11-08-2011, 08:33 AM
I've been trying to clear my annual physical proficiency test to attain the highest standard (gold), but I'm having problems with my 2.4km (1.5 mile) run which I need to clear in 10 min 15 seconds for my age group. I'm not too much into physical fitness as long as I can clear this test, and I'm not a fan of working out in gyms although I like running. Currently doing intervals as advised by peers, so hopefully it works! 1.5 miles in 10 mins, 15 seconds? That's pretty tough, but doable.

I hurt my wrist so I haven't been able to work out in the gym for almost 2 weeks. I've lost about 3 lbs of muscle mass and it's starting to mess with my self-esteem.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 11-08-2011, 08:45 AM
1.5 miles in 10 mins, 15 seconds? That's pretty tough, but doable.

I hurt my wrist so I haven't been able to work out in the gym for almost 2 weeks. I've lost about 3 lbs of muscle mass and it's starting to mess with my self-esteem.

You lose muscle that easily?

Archangel
Tue, 11-08-2011, 08:45 AM

Deadlift with straps and squat, yah bitch.

You lose muscle that easily?
If you don't work out nor eat for maintenance then maybe... but he's probably exaggerating.

darkshadow
Tue, 11-08-2011, 09:26 AM
3lbs in 2 weeks? How is that even possible? Do you have like 3% bodyfat and you didn't eat as well?

Animeniax
Tue, 11-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Deadlift with straps and squat, yah bitch.

If you don't work out nor eat for maintenance then maybe... but he's probably exaggerating.My wrist could barely handle the strain of 2 gallon (7.5 L) milk jugs, and the last time I tried to curl a 27.5lb (12kg) weight, it hurt to even hold the barbell in my hand. I think lifting the bar for a deadlift would tear my hand right off my arm at the wrist. I'm maintaining leg muscle by running and doing judo.

And no, I'm not exaggerating. I think it means the muscle was short-term and not lean muscle yet (the long-term muscle). I can see the size difference in my chest and arms since I stopped working out, it's that noticeable. It took me 5 months starting in June to put on 10 lbs of muscle. It doesn't take long for those gains to evaporate, which is why it's messing with my head. If I eat to maintain, I just put on fat weight.

Archangel
Tue, 11-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Holy mother of broscience batman!

First off, straps allow you to take all effort away from your wrists. They're pretty cheap as well, check out a local gym supplies store.

Second, short term muscle? All of my wat. You're most likely confusing your regular body with your post workout body.

Psyke
Tue, 11-08-2011, 10:55 AM

It's tough since you can't slow down at all. But then again for people below the age of 25 the gold standard is 9 min 45 seconds.... So it's one of the perks of growing older. :p

darkshadow
Tue, 11-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Holy mother of broscience batman!

Second, short term muscle? All of my wat. You're most likely confusing your regular body with your post workout body.

This, a workout pumps the muscles up, that's why boxers looks more menacing before a fight compared to non training, cause they do a quick pre-fight warmup.
There is no way in hell you lost 3lbs of muscle tissue, infuckingpossible; completely not possimpable.

Animeniax
Tue, 11-08-2011, 07:43 PM
This, a workout pumps the muscles up, that's why boxers looks more menacing before a fight compared to non training, cause they do a quick pre-fight warmup.
There is no way in hell you lost 3lbs of muscle tissue, infuckingpossible; completely not possimpable.Lookit, go hit the gym for a couple weeks and see how your muscles grow. Then stop for 2 weeks and see how quickly that muscle evaporates. There is short-term muscle gain, and long-term muscle gain (what they call lean muscle though it may be a misnomer) that stays on you for longer.

It may not have been entirely muscle tissue, some might have been water weight. When I weighed myself at 162 lbs, I had just come in from a 3 mile run in humid conditions and drank a cup of water. But I was wearing a thin damp towel so that 162 might be high.

XanBcoo
Tue, 11-08-2011, 07:48 PM
What are you using to measure "muscle gain"?

Is it just visual? Because that's not any measure at all.

Animeniax
Tue, 11-08-2011, 07:59 PM
What are you using to measure "muscle gain"?

Is it just visual? Because that's not any measure at all.Visual and weight. You can dispute the validity of visual measurements, but I'm older and know my body better than you might give credit for. I've been at 160lbs most of the last 20 years of my life. I dropped to 150 after an aggressive fat-loss period, then started building muscle from there, getting to 165.

Archangel
Wed, 11-09-2011, 08:38 AM
Enough of your bulshit Ani, just get some calipers and measure your bf%.