PDA

View Full Version : Baby found feeding on dog's milk

Psyke
Mon, 02-13-2006, 11:32 AM
Click! (http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyid=2006-02-09T135637Z_01_L09202810_RTRUKOC_0_US-TANZANIA-BABY.xml)

I'm not too amazed by this, but I'm kinda worried by the fact that parents leave their babies alone where their their pets (especially bigger animals such as cats or dogs) can reach easily. Imagine what an angry cat can do to your child with its claws.........

Ero-Fan
Mon, 02-13-2006, 11:38 AM
Poor kid. I'll bet he has to deal with stories/jokes about how he likes to suck on a dog's tit, his mother is a dog, etc. The joys that child will experience from now on. Hope to god for the child's sake no one took a photo.
Edit: Maybe we should have a "Weird shit you find in the news" thread for all these?

BioAlien
Mon, 02-13-2006, 11:43 AM
humm.. dog milk.. i wonder if it taste like cow milk.. gotta try that someday..
but for the story... the mom is stupid....

she screamed and rushed to her brother's house to seek advice.
did she at least remove her baby from sucking the milk out of the dog before going to seek advice to her brother's house?

Hope to god for the child's sake no one took a photo.
i would like to see thats ^^

Kraco
Mon, 02-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Well, Romulus and Remus were fed by a wolf. Whilst this boy is fed by the wolf's lesser cousin, a dog, it's still likely he will be able to found a city of some size; not one as big as Rome, but better than nothing.

BioAlien
Mon, 02-13-2006, 12:19 PM
lol romulus and remus... it been a long time since i saw they name...
for those who don't know who they are...
http://www.schoolshistory.org.uk/birthofrome.htm

masamuneehs
Mon, 02-13-2006, 12:40 PM
that's some pretty ugly (and humiliating for the parents) news. I hate when children are neglected like that... makes me want to repay a visit to the "Abortion" thread...

But that kid was pretty smart, using the dogs milk and all that. He could grow up to be a real winner.

Kraco
Mon, 02-13-2006, 12:59 PM
The baby wasn't necessarily negleted. The article just said the mother had left the boy indoors alone for a moment, when she went to handle some clothes, most probably right next to the building. The exact same thing could have happened, if the woman had gone to a bathroom.

Small babies are no different than animals. Seeing an oppotunity to get food is all that's needed. The baby isn't going to think: "Gee, it's a dog. I can't drink the milk. It would be ok if it was a cow, but a dog is no no."

Ero-Fan
Mon, 02-13-2006, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by: Kraco
The baby wasn't necessarily negleted. The article just said the mother had left the boy indoors alone for a moment, when she went to handle some clothes, most probably right next to the building. The exact same thing could have happened, if the woman had gone to a bathroom.

Small babies are no different than animals. Seeing an oppotunity to get food is all that's needed. The baby isn't going to think: "Gee, it's a dog. I can't drink the milk. It would be ok if it was a cow, but a dog is no no."

Yeah. I guess she should be glad she didn't have a male dog and the baby tried to get milk out of it, huh?
Edit: I could see it now, "It only had one nipple, and it was long and red..."

Carnage
Mon, 02-13-2006, 01:05 PM
Gee, I hope the kid doesn't get aids. No, Im serious. Thats one of the theories of how it began. Sex with monkeys and chickens.

Turkish-S
Mon, 02-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by: God#2
Gee, I hope the kid doesn't get aids. No, Im serious. Thats one of the theories of how it began. Sex with monkeys and chickens.

Feeding a baby isn't considered as sex...........

Originally posted by: Ero-Fan
Edit: Maybe we should have a "Weird shit you find in the news" thread for all these?

Yep we should have this....

KitKat
Mon, 02-13-2006, 01:22 PM
Did you guys miss the fact that this took place in Tanzania? Just a few quick facts about Tanzania: it's number 164 on the UN's human development index ranking of countries. That's just 14 away from being the worst country to live in the world (as per 2003 statistics, I believe). The human development index is based on things like life expectancy, literacy, adjusted income, etc. Most of the population lives in extreme poverty. Most people there have some primary school education, but few complete secondary school education. We feel perfectly justified talking about neglectful parents, from our comfortable chairs in front of our computers, but I think the mother would have a different view. The fact is, her baby could die any day from drinking contaminated water, falling and getting a cut which becomes infected, or any number of illnesses that are perfectly preventable here, but quite deadly there. The article doesn't give the status of the mother, but if she's like 90% of Tanzanians she probably works insanely long hours just to be able to survive and provide for her family another day. If you want to pretend like you care about this baby, then actually do something to help fight poverty and get rid of these conditions.

Edit: Sorry for ranting. I just get really frustrated some days by the apathy I see around me towards international development when I know we have so much power to effect change. Didn't mean to wreck the fun of your topic, Psyke.

Carnage
Mon, 02-13-2006, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by: KitKat
The article doesn't give the status of the mother, but if she's like 90% of Tanzanians she probably works insanely long hours just to be able to survive and provide for her family another day. If you want to pretend like you care about this baby, then actually do something to help fight poverty and get rid of these conditions.

*Brakes out the piggy bank*

@Turkish: It doesn't have to be from "having sex". You get HIV from transfering of the virus through body fluids (ie: Milk,Blood, Saliva, Vaginal Fluid, Seamen).

Ero-Fan
Mon, 02-13-2006, 02:09 PM
@Turkish: It doesn't have to be from "having sex". You get HIV from transfering of the virus through body fluids (ie: Milk,Blood, Saliva, Vaginal Fluid, Seamen).

It'd have to be a shit-load of saliva to get HIV from someone in that way. I'm not too sure about breast milk, though. I'll go look it up.

Mr Squiggles
Mon, 02-13-2006, 02:10 PM
You get HIV from transfering of the virus through body fluids (ie: Milk,Blood, Saliva, Vaginal Fluid, Seamen).
You'd need to drink about 2 gallons of someone's saliva to catch HIV from them, at least that's what I remember from sex ed. Don't know about breast milk though. And it's semen, not seamen(thats a sailor).

DB_Hunter
Mon, 02-13-2006, 02:11 PM
@Turkish: It doesn't have to be from "having sex". You get HIV from transfering of the virus through body fluids (ie: Milk,Blood, Saliva, Vaginal Fluid,Seamen ).

lol the double meaning in the last one is hilarious...

Ero-Fan
Mon, 02-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Well, so far, from some site:

HIV Myths

Insects
Mosquitoes, flies, ticks, fleas, bees or wasps do not transmit HIV. If a bloodsucking insect bites someone with HIV, the virus dies almost instantly in the insect's stomach as it digests the blood. HIV can live only in human cells.

Sharing Dishes or Food
HIV is not transmitted through casual contact, so it is impossible to get it through sharing a glass, fork, etc.

Donating Blood
Sterilized needles are always used in taking blood from donors in the United States.

Swimming Pools & Hot Tubs
The chemical used in swimming pools and hot tubs would instantly kill any HIV, if the hot water hadn't killed it already.

Pets
Humans are the only animals that can harbor HIV. An exception is chimpanzees used in research that have been intentionally infected with HIV. Their blood poses a threat to researchers working with them.

Other Contact
Contact with saliva, tears or sweat cannot transmit HIV. Using the same restroom as an HIV positive person will not cause transmission.
http://www.mnaidsproject.org/learn/myths.htm

Notice it said "United States". Guess you other countries are screwed. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif
Still can't find breast milk. At least, not from a decent looking site.
Edit: Oh joy, found one:

Most babies born to HIV-positive mothers will not get HIV. But some will. A baby can get HIV from its mother:

* During pregnancy (before birth);

* During delivery (the most common way babies get infected); and

* Through breast-feeding.
http://www.thebody.com/gmhc/is...02/breast_feeding.html (http://www.thebody.com/gmhc/issues/feb02/breast_feeding.html)

God, I am sooo bored.

Kraco
Mon, 02-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Breast feeding is a significant problem. Just search PubMed with the terms HIV and milk, and you'll get plenty and plenty of hits, and they carry the same message.

Edit: Damn. It would always pay off to refresh the thread just before posting, if you do research before posting... I should have learnt this already. Well, can't be helped.

Ero-Fan
Mon, 02-13-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by: Kraco
Breast feeding is a significant problem. Just search PubMed with the terms HIV and milk, and you'll get plenty and plenty of hits, and they carry the same message.

Edit: Damn. It would always pay off to refresh the thread just before posting, if you do research before posting... I should have learnt this already. Well, can't be helped.

Sorry man. I know the feeling. I copy everything first, refresh, then post. Even then, I still get beat out by people. You can't beat someone who is bored at work anyways. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Deblas
Mon, 02-13-2006, 11:41 PM
Why would this family talk about this humiliating incident? Do they get money out of having them publish it in an article?

aznroyale
Tue, 02-14-2006, 07:38 AM
ew thats nasty
i will never tell anyone if i did that