PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Winter Olympics

darkmetal505
Fri, 02-10-2006, 11:09 PM
discuss, ask questions, make predictions, whatever

BioAlien
Fri, 02-10-2006, 11:15 PM
i wonder how many Gold medal Canada will get this time...

darkmetal505
Fri, 02-10-2006, 11:17 PM
the opening cermoney/prcession was ok, not as good as some of the others. The giant moon and sun was a little gay, but the race car was cool.

el_boss
Sat, 02-11-2006, 07:04 AM
Where is it held? i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

I've never been a fan of the olympics. Only thing that's bearable to watch is the male hockey. Which I don't watch anyway except for the final game maybe.

masamuneehs
Sat, 02-11-2006, 07:21 AM
i'll tell you one thing: I'm living in Italy for a semester, and most people here don't give to shits about the Winter Olympics being hosted in Torino (Turin).

In fact, as I'm living in Bologna, one of the more leftist and politically charged cities in the country, I've found that there ares a surprising number of Italians AGAINST the Winter Olympics. They're mostly upset that Coca-Cola is one of the main sponsors of this year's Olympics, and obviously those people are No-Global and Free-Trade nuts who believe that almost every successful American company is breaking some sort of law.

Even my roommates, Italians FROM Turin, had this to say: "But, come on, why would you let Coca-Cola sponsor it? It's obvious just like buying commercial time for them. They don't have anything to do with the Olympics, or Italy, so they shouldn't be the sponsors."

To which I replied: "Somebody has to sponsor it! What kind of authentic Olympic sponsors are left? Well, where are all the Italian companies to sponsor it then?"

So, its really alot of double-standard BS, as far as I'm concerned. I'd like to see the US win some medals, but I'm more concerned about security and global image issues than glory. I really don't care much for any of the winter sports.

Koyuki
Mon, 02-13-2006, 10:38 AM
Norway has a gold medal in ski jumping ^_^
And we will get much more

Honoko
Tue, 02-14-2006, 01:18 PM
saw the pairs figure skating finals last nite. I got really annoyed at the commentators.... they were ruining perfectly good drama with their assinine observations.

kooshi
Sun, 02-19-2006, 03:20 AM
Yay for South Korea! They're doing quite a number in that skating race one (sorry, don't know the name of the event). The women would've swept that one race if that one person didn't get disqualified.

dantheman62
Sun, 02-19-2006, 03:48 AM
yay? WHAT THE FUCK YAY?! they teamed up on my dear hawaiin, and everyone knows it. That was bullshit. And its called speed skating jack ass

masamuneehs
Sun, 02-19-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by: kooshi
Yay for South Korea! They're doing quite a number in that skating race one (sorry, don't know the name of the event). The women would've swept that one race if that one person didn't get disqualified.

you know I was actually in Torino (Turin, whatever you want to call the city) and happened to go to that event. The SKs racked up gold and silver in the 1500 speed skate and China got the bronze.

As of today (according to ESPN) this is the medal count:

Total Medals:
Germany- 18
Norway- 16
USA- 13
Russia- 13
Canada- 13

Gold Medals:
Germany- 7
USA- 7
Russia- 6

Deadfire
Sun, 02-19-2006, 07:07 PM
I am so pissed at Canada's hockey team right now that I can't even post any update on their status. Although I know the Woman's team is doing very well and the US teams are really sucking this year in hockey.

anphorus
Sun, 02-19-2006, 08:14 PM
I'm really dissapointed with Scotland's womens curling team's loss to Japan, as it means that their hopes of becoming world champions twice in a row is unlikely. Its the only damn sport we're good at! I'm happy the men's curling team is still doing well though.

Assassin
Sun, 02-19-2006, 08:15 PM
nobody cares about curling

darkmetal505
Sun, 02-19-2006, 08:22 PM
Did anyone else see Lindsay Jacob-ellis' screw up. Man sucks for her >_<, it was funny though.

PSJ
Mon, 02-20-2006, 08:22 AM
I can't believe that people actually watch the winter olympics. There isn't even one interesting sport. Snowboard freestyle is fun to watch and the hockey is watchable if your country is playing but the rest just sucks.

I should get started with the womens hockey which i don't really consider hockey. I mean they can barely touch each other, to me tackling is half the sport. Then we got "sports" like Ice dancing(figure skating), what kind of sport is that, i don't see dancing in the summer olympics so why is figure skating in the winter olympics. The same goes for snowboard freestyle really even if it is fun to watch it shouldn't be in the olympics, skateboard isn't a part of the summer olympics, neither is surfing so why is snowboard a part of the winter olympics? It feels like they added sports like snowboard and freestyle skiing just to fill out.

As of yesterday Sweden got 6 medals and will get one either way in the womens hockey since we managed to make it to the finals, gonna get our asses handed to us by Canada though, probably.

masamuneehs
Mon, 02-20-2006, 08:38 AM
Figure skating and other skating activities belong in the Olympics. Running counts as athletic competition, so skating is the same deal in Winter.

I always try to differentiate between sport and athletics. The Olympics really isn't about sport. It's all about athletic competition. Discus, shotput those aren't sports! Heck, I even question how much of a 'sport' running is. But they certainly qualify as athletics.

Figure skating is fucking hard. I don't like watching it, but I appreciate the hard work that goes into it. Speed, strength, balance, acrobatics. To me its more impressive than just "oh, I can ski really fast" because there's so many other things you're being judged on. Same goes for gymnastics. (which is sorta the 'dancing' in the Summer games).

I do agree that I don't understand some of the events in the winter games, and I really don't ever watch them because even the ones I respect I don't get any entertainment out of. That being said I personally feel not having American football in the games is both understandable and disappointing. It's just not an international sport yet.

Honoko
Mon, 02-20-2006, 10:02 AM
I love watching Olympics in general because of the premise of how all the nations send their best athletes to one place every so often to compete and see who's the best. Sure, you have the world championships every year but somehow the perception of the Olympics bring about a different sort of pressure.

As for the winter sports, I love watching figure skating (not so much the ice dancing stuff) and my favorite ski event is the downhill moguls. I don't mind seeing snowboarding in the Olympics but alot of those events you can see in the x-games. I just think NBC/media handled it poorly this year by trying to obviously direct our hopes on those athletes you kept seeing in commercials. So far, I think none of them really shined (Michelle Kwan, Bode Miller, **LINDSEY JACOB ELLIS**) and their quieter counterparts have been more successful. On the other hand, boy was I happy when I saw the South Koreans dominating in speed skating i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif Wasn't there controversy over the 3rd Korean? My parents sensed a conspiracy to prevent Korea from sweeping that event haha i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Darknodin
Mon, 02-20-2006, 10:02 AM
I agree with masamuneehs

and

Originally posted by: PSJ

As of yesterday Sweden got 6 medals and will get one either way in the womens hockey since we managed to make it to the finals, gonna get our asses handed to us by Canada though, probably.

hehe...

Hakeem_21
Mon, 02-20-2006, 10:35 AM
Nah the swedish ladies will kick Canada's ass....... when hell freezes i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Whats wrong the male canada team in hockey. In online manager game i have 3 canadians in my team. Canada are losing every game. So my chances of winning something is f'**** thanks to thier lazy ass.

My sis is a crazy fan and expert on figure skating. I mean she knows more than commentators. Thanks to her i have watched some figure skating. Its not bad but mostly i like watching to see them fall,its soo fun seeing that. I know im sick i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

PSJ
Tue, 02-21-2006, 06:42 AM
So yea we took a silver in the womens hockey, congratulations to Canada for crushing us completly.

kooshi
Tue, 02-21-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by: dantheman62
yay? WHAT THE FUCK YAY?! they teamed up on my dear hawaiin, and everyone knows it. That was bullshit. And its called speed skating jack ass

Fuck you. This is a competition, so anything goes as long as the rules are followed. Of course I would be cheering for South Korea since I'm Korean myself. And sorry if I didn't know the name of the event, but you don't have to be a fucking asshole about it.

Back on topic, I myself don't usually watch the Olympics, but like many people, I respect the atheletes who put in so much effort and such to make it to such an event. The only events I would watch with enjoyment are the racing events (ex. cross-country skiing and such). Other events don't seem to interest me as much, although those are usually the more popular ones.

Mr Squiggles
Wed, 02-22-2006, 12:11 AM
I am so dissapointed by the performance of the canadian male hockey team, they are playing so poorly, i mean cmon, losing to switzerland? They should take lessons from the girl's team. At least they know how to pass and play as a team.

Hakeem_21
Wed, 02-22-2006, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by: PSJ
So yea we took a silver in the womens hockey, congratulations to Canada for crushing us completly.

Silver is good since US was so much better and still the girls won the game.

Its wierd how sweden had more gold in the summer olympic than they have in this one. Which is poor for a country like sweden who are so proud of thier skill in winter sports.

PSJ
Thu, 02-23-2006, 08:16 AM
We took a gold yesterday in the skiiing stuff, the downhill one. Anja managed to get us a gold which was nice, now she got us like a third of the medals we got in total. 2 bronze and 1 Gold.

Hakeem_21
Thu, 02-23-2006, 01:13 PM
10 medals is a big record for Sweden. 4 guld is the best,the best record before that was 2 gold in 94. 4 gold 2 silver 4 bronze isnt bad. Plus Anja Paerson,Curling team,hockey team and long skee team is left.

Ero-Fan
Thu, 02-23-2006, 01:30 PM
I found a decent site for medal counts : Medal Count (http://scoreboards.aol.com/olympics/2006/medal_tracker.aspx)

Make a long story short, the top 4 so far are -
Germany 9 Gold 10 Silver 5 Bronze
Austria 8 Gold 6 Silver 5 Bronze
United States 7 Gold 7 SIlver 5 Bronze
Canada 5 Gold 8 Silver 6 Bronze

3rd place, joy... And what the hell is up with curling? How can they take sweeping so seriously?
Edit: Added Canada, not sure why.

PSJ
Tue, 02-28-2006, 06:27 AM
Sweden won the mens hockey finals against Finland. I liked the game even though hockey is far from my favorite sport.