PDA

View Full Version : BitTorrent Downloading... Again

Canadian
Mon, 02-06-2006, 07:08 PM
I am near 50% done downloading episodes 1-50 of Naruto (1-25 separate from 26-50... I have two programs I'm using at the same time, one for 1-25 and one for 26-50...)

I was wondering: Are there any "tricks" or ways to get the download rate to raise above 45Kb/S (my fastest download rate so far has been about 55Kb/S, for about an hour. My average is about 22Kb/S. My lowest has been about 2Kb/S for an hour).

I was also wondering about this: How is it that other computers are found to download from. I mean, do they have to be downloading the same file? Or, do they just have to be on their BitTorrent thing... or what?

Finally: If I were to theoretically go to download a BitTorrent movie, and no one else were downloading it, would it be stuck at 0Kb/S...?

Unless if I encounter a major problem with BitTorrents, I won't post another BitTorrent question thread again... lol... I've already made three, :-(.

Assassin
Mon, 02-06-2006, 07:27 PM
well you probably should've used the first one for all you other questions too. But atleast you did it in the correct forum.

To answer your questions, there are no tricks to increase you download rates. It depends on your connection and the number of seeders (people with the complete file). Just make sure you're not behind a firewall or something.

As for your second questions, im dont know the specifics, but you are connected to all the people currently downloading that same file. The other people dont have to be actually downloading, they could have finished the download, but as long as BT is open with that particular file, others can get it from them. Its called seeding.

Lastly, as i just explained even if no one is downloading it, you can still get the file. Just as long as theres atleast one person with the completed file on the network.

Deadfire
Mon, 02-06-2006, 07:29 PM
You can just edit your first post we will still look at it in due time, We really do dislike you making more then one post for the same kind of questions. besides I answered most of your question you have now on you first post

Originally posted by: Deadfire

Originally posted by: Canadian
I've searched through various forums and FAQ's, but I can't seem to find a clear answer for my few questions. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me out (I'll just list them):

(I've been downloading from the Naruto sources given by this sight, gotwoot.net, and have been trying to download 1-25, and 26-50)

1. I am not sure what an average BitTorrent download rate should be. I have one running on 20-40Kb/S and another running on about 16-30Kb/S (been trying "BitTorrent", and "BitTornado"). If these are below average, do you have any suggestions to increase the speed? Is this just average, and one would have to wait a day or so?

2. I can't play the files from the BitTorrents when they're only 20% or 50% done. Is this normal? Should one have to wait for the file to be completely downloaded to be able to play it? Are the Naruto BitTorrents given by this sight (1-25 and 26-50, for example) given with subtitles (in English)?

Thanks for any help. Sorry if this is an annoying post.

Welcome and I thank you alot for posting this in the right spot.. you are one up in my books (also your canadian as well)

1. A average speed varies, It matters how many people are seeding the file and how many are leaching of it, so it doesn't matter what program you use it matters on something you can't control

2. Yes it is normal. The bittorrent protocol breaks the file(s) down into smaller fragments, typically a quarter of a megabyte (256 KB) in size. Peers download missing fragments from each other and upload those that they already have to peers that request them. The protocol is 'smart' enough to choose the peer with the best network connections for the fragments that it's requesting. To increase the overall efficiency of the swarm (the ad-hoc P2P network temporarily created to distribute a particular file), the bittorrent clients request from their peers the fragments that are most rare; in other words, the fragments that are available on the least number of peers, making most fragments available widely across many machines and avoiding bottlenecks. The file fragments are not usually downloaded in sequential order and need to be reassembled by the receiving machine. It is important to note that clients start uploading fragments to their peers before the entire file is downloaded. Sharing by each peer therefore begins when the first complete segment is downloaded and can begin to be uploaded if another peer requests it. This scheme is particularly useful for trading large files such as videos and operating systems. This is contrasted with conventional file serving where high demand can lead to saturation of the host's resources as the consumption of bandwidth to transfer the file to many requesting downloaders surges. With BitTorrent, high demand can actually increase throughput as more bandwidth and additional seeds of the file become available to the group.

Because the file doesn't have all the fragments when it's not 100% thats why you can't play it as your computers doesn't know how to play it...Because frankly it doesn't know what it is yet

But I am willing to now waste my time with this because I'm annoyed but not angry.

I would not suggest using two torrent programs, use one make life easier on yourself, Second no there is not tricks in downloading faster, I'm downloading at the same pace you are. I answered your 3rd question already in my other post. Theoretically yes you will not get anything because your computer has noone to get files from. Although I should point out that that you also download from others tha thave files EVEN IF there are no seeds. Because of what i pointed out earlier. Anything else?

Canadian
Mon, 02-06-2006, 08:34 PM
You can just edit your first post we will still look at it in due time, We really do dislike you making more then one post for the same kind of questions. besides I answered most of your question you have now on you first post

I've searched through various forums and FAQ's, but I can't seem to find a clear answer for my few questions. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me out (I'll just list them):

(I've been downloading from the Naruto sources given by this sight, gotwoot.net, and have been trying to download 1-25, and 26-50)

1. I am not sure what an average BitTorrent download rate should be. I have one running on 20-40Kb/S and another running on about 16-30Kb/S (been trying "BitTorrent", and "BitTornado"). If these are below average, do you have any suggestions to increase the speed? Is this just average, and one would have to wait a day or so?

2. I can't play the files from the BitTorrents when they're only 20% or 50% done. Is this normal? Should one have to wait for the file to be completely downloaded to be able to play it? Are the Naruto BitTorrents given by this sight (1-25 and 26-50, for example) given with subtitles (in English)?

Thanks for any help. Sorry if this is an annoying post.

Welcome and I thank you alot for posting this in the right spot.. you are one up in my books (also your canadian as well)

1. A average speed varies, It matters how many people are seeding the file and how many are leaching of it, so it doesn't matter what program you use it matters on something you can't control

2. Yes it is normal. The bittorrent protocol breaks the file(s) down into smaller fragments, typically a quarter of a megabyte (256 KB) in size. Peers download missing fragments from each other and upload those that they already have to peers that request them. The protocol is 'smart' enough to choose the peer with the best network connections for the fragments that it's requesting. To increase the overall efficiency of the swarm (the ad-hoc P2P network temporarily created to distribute a particular file), the bittorrent clients request from their peers the fragments that are most rare; in other words, the fragments that are available on the least number of peers, making most fragments available widely across many machines and avoiding bottlenecks. The file fragments are not usually downloaded in sequential order and need to be reassembled by the receiving machine. It is important to note that clients start uploading fragments to their peers before the entire file is downloaded. Sharing by each peer therefore begins when the first complete segment is downloaded and can begin to be uploaded if another peer requests it. This scheme is particularly useful for trading large files such as videos and operating systems. This is contrasted with conventional file serving where high demand can lead to saturation of the host's resources as the consumption of bandwidth to transfer the file to many requesting downloaders surges. With BitTorrent, high demand can actually increase throughput as more bandwidth and additional seeds of the file become available to the group.

Because the file doesn't have all the fragments when it's not 100% thats why you can't play it as your computers doesn't know how to play it...Because frankly it doesn't know what it is yet

But I am willing to now waste my time with this because I'm annoyed but not angry.

I would not suggest using two torrent programs, use one make life easier on yourself, Second no there is not tricks in downloading faster, I'm downloading at the same pace you are. I answered your 3rd question already in my other post. Theoretically yes you will not get anything because your computer has noone to get files from. Although I should point out that that you also download from others tha thave files EVEN IF there are no seeds. Because of what i pointed out earlier. Anything else?

Sorry that I am annoying you a little. I do realise now that this thread is very similar to my previous ones (I am used to posting on forums... I usually don't create multiple threads like this).

As for your previous answers, which did come in handy: These questions are different. Your previous answers, which are related to what I'm asking now, were a bit... complexly worded (I could follow, but not completely understand it all). Anyways, don't think I don't read what help is given.

Canadian
Mon, 02-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Ok, I feel like a retard. I can't figure out how to delete a double post (I don't think I clicked post twice... but anyways... I ended up double posting).

darkmetal505
Thu, 02-09-2006, 01:15 AM
I am near 50% done downloading episodes 1-50 of Naruto (1-25 separate from 26-50... I have two programs I'm using at the same time, one for 1-25 and one for 26-50...)

Wait? why are you using two programs? Most BT clients will let you download files from multiple torrents.

Canadian
Thu, 02-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by: darkmetal505

Wait? why are you using two programs? Most BT clients will let you download files from multiple torrents.

Idk, I guess I just feel like it. They both have their ups and downs... (they are practically the same, but there are a few differences).

I originally was using the two to compare which is more efficient...