PDA

View Full Version : Howl's Moving Castle Nominated for Oscar

nests
Tue, 01-31-2006, 11:52 AM
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced the nominees for the 78th annual Academy Awards. For the Academy Award for Animated Feature, the nominees are Howl's Moving Castle, Burton's Corpse Bride and Wallace & Gromit in the Curse of the Were-Rabbit. The Academy Award winners will be announced on Sunday, March 5 in an awards ceremony starting at 5pm Pacific standard time.

Article (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/index.php)
Oscars Nominees (http://www.oscar.com/nominees/list.html)

Kraco
Tue, 01-31-2006, 02:46 PM
It was a very good movie, like all Ghibli movies, but I'm not sure if it has what it takes to win an Oscar.

darkmetal505
Tue, 01-31-2006, 04:15 PM
was this made by the guy who made princess mononoke?

Knives122
Tue, 01-31-2006, 04:19 PM
yes.

Board of Command
Tue, 01-31-2006, 04:32 PM
Well I guess I gotta watch this one then.

Mae
Tue, 01-31-2006, 04:53 PM
I haven't seen this movie, but the book's pretty good.

nests
Tue, 01-31-2006, 05:34 PM
I have seen the other two movies that is competing with and I woulndt be surpriced if it Miyazaki gets his second Oscar

Kraco
Tue, 01-31-2006, 05:50 PM
I haven't seen the competitors, but still I wouldn't mind if he indeed got. But I wonder if they are going to give him seconds.

It was a very good movie, and I thoroughly enjoyed it in the theater. Gotta buy the DVD some day. I still have lots of Ghibli DVDs to buy, before my collection is anywhere near finished.

Board of Command
Tue, 01-31-2006, 07:14 PM
Story-wise, any of the big Miyazaki films would own every Hollywood animation out there. Horrace and Gromit...are you kidding me? If it's in the animation category, WHERE THE HELL IS ADVENT CHILDREN?

edit: oh ya, it's not officially out yet

Kyuuzou
Tue, 01-31-2006, 07:55 PM
Have not had a chance 2 watch this 1 yet..but I hope it's gonna as good as it's suppose 2.....

Psyke
Wed, 02-01-2006, 05:13 AM
I loved Spirited Away, but I've yet to watch this movie although it's been out for nearly a year now in my region. I hope it wins in the Oscars cause that'll bring more recognition to Studio Ghibli.

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/6095/saway5uu.jpg

masamuneehs
Wed, 02-01-2006, 08:39 AM
I've seen all of these three movies.

Tim Burtons Corpse Bride was horrible, an utter disappointment. Only because it was Tim Burton did that film even get nominated for an Oscar.
Wallace and Gromit was entertaining, but it was a really kiddy movie. Some of the humor was hilarious, but it had all of the stupid kids' movie cliches and weaknesses.

Howl's Moving Castle should win this one. The animation is way above the other three IMO, and it actually felt like a movie all age groups could enjoy.

Aramis
Wed, 02-01-2006, 01:42 PM
I don't think Advent Children is eligible for oscar.
AFAIK it hasn't aired in any movie threatres and never will. And while the quality of the art and animation are better than anything, the movie is just ff7 fanservice.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 02-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by: Aramis
I don't think Advent Children is eligible for oscar.
AFAIK it hasn't aired in any movie threatres and never will. And while the quality of the art and animation are better than anything, the movie is just ff7 fanservice.

Quoted for truth. AC may rule if you're a FF7 fan, but it's just a really well CGI'd action movie if you're not. Not exactly the kind of thing they give oscars too.

XanBcoo
Wed, 02-01-2006, 03:14 PM
I've got friends who don't even like anime and think HMC should win. As much as I used to like Wallace & Grommet, I'd have to agree with them.

Board of Command
Thu, 02-02-2006, 07:06 PM
I watched Howl's Moving Castle and it was fantastic. The animation was superb and the overall atmosphere was very consistent with the other films Miyazaki made.

Jeff_from_MD
Thu, 02-02-2006, 07:34 PM
Howl's Moving Castle isn't an original Miyazaki story. I believe he's just animating a work mostly based on the novel by some female author.

But that's the extent of my knowledge. And the movie was still good and rewarding to watch to the very end.

masamuneehs
Mon, 03-06-2006, 05:55 AM
Well, guess what?

Howl got snubbed. Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit won the Oscar for Best Animated Film. People at the academy must be smoking crack or maybe they didn't even see Howl's (while they undoubtedly got dragged to W&G by their 10 year old nieces and grandkids...) or they hate anime.

W&G was pretty good. Funny and all, but come on, it's a fucking little kids film filled with slapstick comedy and Looney Tune-esque gags. For that to win an Oscar over a more serious (and superiorly animated film) blows my mind.

Kraco
Mon, 03-06-2006, 06:17 AM
Maybe they gave it to W&G because of the plasticine techniques used.