PDA

View Full Version : Naruto 169 Discussion

DarthEnderX
Thu, 01-26-2006, 03:33 AM
Thumbs up as far as fillers go.

Some nice action. Interesting setup. Maybe even revealing an interesting characters past too. Even the animation was good. That's a shocker. Plus Shino! Even when he doesn't do anything he makes the episode better.

Might even get to see some Anko seal action this arc.

Those two badguy ninjas...anyone else think that those are the two guys from Kabuto's squad during the exam? You know, the ones that fought Sasuke and Kankuro during the preliminaries?

They sure do dress down for ninjas.

Overall though, was pretty good.

TS8
Thu, 01-26-2006, 03:36 AM
That one part with Anko sneaking up behind Naruto made me chuckle, but that was about it.

Kensee
Thu, 01-26-2006, 05:01 AM
Following up last week's fillers and this weeks's Bleach filler, I was iffy on how this was gonna turn out ... but yes, this was acutally a pretty decent episode.

The animation was good and had a intersting storyline going. The main thing was Anko and her past, that kept me in it =D. Reccomend it, watch it, enjoy it ^^

Terracosmo
Thu, 01-26-2006, 05:37 AM
Best filler so far. Animation was up to par for once, and as far as filler plots go this was actually pretty tolerable. Even had a few laughs.

I like the team's mix, pretty interesting to see those 4 on a mission together. I also like how they brought back Kabuto's old team mates, at least I'm 95% sure it's them... the abilities and glasses are dead ringers.

You know, I've always wondered why Anko has so little screentime. I mean she's hot, funny, pretty cool and was Orochimaru's pupil. That should count for something. Also, she's a scorpio just like me! (Yeah I'm a sucker for zodiac signs and shit like that).

Kraco
Thu, 01-26-2006, 05:54 AM
I have to agree: If this keeps going with this quality, it will easily be the best filler arc so far. I don't actually have anything to complain about so far. The animation was indeed quite nice, the story seems interesting, and even Anko's memories of Oro were pretty artistic. Naruto's near 100% failure rate with summonings continue, which is not surprising, but interestingly enough they had developed a new joke for it, so it was cool. Naruto's techniques so far haven't been overplayed (well, not that there would have been chances yet), and if this doesn't change, it would alone be redeeming. But that remains to be seen.

I'm hopeful so far.

Edit: A couple of typos.

masamuneehs
Thu, 01-26-2006, 05:56 AM
gadzooks! doth mine eyes decieveth me? The serfs cheer jubilantly for that scoundrel called Naruto filler?

Lo and behold! I shalt DL thine praised Act 169 for mine own merry pleasure. Mine reaction post shalt be in the splendid tongue of dubiously created english of olde, following in the style of this.

el_boss
Thu, 01-26-2006, 06:29 AM
I almost had an heart-attack from this episode's greatness. I wasn't prepared at all for this kind of quality. I mean we had just lowered our expectations to near zero, then BAM! they hit us with this.

The animation was truly splendid. It almost made me gasp when Anko did the fire breath and the fire hit the water, beautiful.

I really hope they don't end this they way they ended the bug arc. I don't think I would be able to handle the emotional trauma.

Ero-Fan
Thu, 01-26-2006, 07:40 AM
He, maybe since their doing Bleach fillers along with Naruto ones, we're gonna see them alternate between crap and decency? I hope not, hopefully, this trend of decent filler (if you can call one episode a trend) will last until filler is over.

MFauli
Thu, 01-26-2006, 07:44 AM
Finally, a good filler episode ^^

Superb animation (Anko´s fire attack)
Serious story
No generic enemy-design

I like it ^^

Psyke
Thu, 01-26-2006, 10:03 AM
I agree with most of you that this is one of the best episodes so far.

Reasons:

- Hand seals are back! Yeah!
- Cool animation once again
- Villians that do not have fish eyes or fat lips
- Orochimaru's past. It's hard for fillers to make connections to the actual manga storyline, but I'm glad they are trying to show us Oro and Anko's past.

Hopefully this episode sets the standard for the upcoming fillers to follow.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 01-26-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by: el_boss
I really hope they don't end this they way they ended the bug arc. I don't think I would be able to handle the emotional trauma.Interesting when you mention that, since the bug arc was the only other arc I actually liked, right up until the last five minutes of the arc.

Conversely, the Curry arc was pretty shitty up until the last episode, and then all of a sudden it rocked.

Ero-Fan
Thu, 01-26-2006, 10:24 AM
I'm starting to think maybe the finished the new episodes(the ones after the fillers are supposed to end), so maybe they got the original animation team back to finish up the fillers? If so, its about damn time.

nests
Thu, 01-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Nice filler best one so far I hope it deosnt go downhill from here finally we see some bad guys who can use actual ninja skills
Anko's flash backs were pretty good
man Naruto seems to get all the women in this fillers

BioAlien
Thu, 01-26-2006, 12:02 PM
best filler so far (i swear if this filler end with naruto farting... i stop watching naruto)

LobsterMagnet
Thu, 01-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Man have you poor guys been so overwhelmed by crappy fillers that you'll praise anything that seems half decent. Honestly I'm still on the fence about this one. There seem to be some interesting ideas at work here but whether or not we'll see them coagulate into something decent is still up the air. If you break down all of the other filler arcs they all sound like good ideas.

Infiltrating Orchimaro's underground mansion.

Mizuki's return from ninja prison and an explanation of his past as well detailing his relationship with Iruka.

Meeting one of the other seven legendary mist swords man.

They all sound good on paper but I don't think I need to remind any of you how they all turned out.

The Heretic Azazel
Thu, 01-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Magnet, your hate for Naruto filler astounds me.

Did Shino just shunpo Naruto? OWNED.

Ero-Fan
Thu, 01-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Wow, a triple post, been a while since I've seen that.
@Lobster: Its not like were praising this filler arc, its just that its been so long since we had a decent episode that we can talk about without feeling dirty for watching a filler. I'm sure everyone is worried that this little filler arc will go downhill, but we gotta hope for the best, since Bleach just craped out on us..

infamous
Thu, 01-26-2006, 04:02 PM
It was a good episode defentaly worth it to see and it has to be those 2 guys that Kabuto was with

Necromas
Thu, 01-26-2006, 04:23 PM
I'm guessing that mystery girl has a curse seal like anko does, and perhaps her level 2 form is the sea monster.

Kraco
Thu, 01-26-2006, 04:55 PM
She might have the seal, but it would be a brave move from the script writers to make her the monster, who attacked the ships. Unless there was something shady about those ships. Of course I wouldn't mind if they actually had a controversial plot in this arc, and Naruto et co would need to fight a victim at the end. That would certainly offer a more realistic view on ninja business. A needed lesson for Naruto who always wants the good to triumph over evil. Yet somehow I don't see that really fitting the story. Of course it's possible somebody would always force the girl to do it, though... But that wouldn't explain how she can travel and go shopping freely.

kooshi
Thu, 01-26-2006, 05:56 PM
Oh wow, this is quite a surprise. This episode was actually decent! Now it'll be interesting if the animators will muck up the next episode back to crap.

Xyrox
Thu, 01-26-2006, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by: Necromas
I'm guessing that mystery girl has a curse seal like anko does, and perhaps her level 2 form is the sea monster.

Dunno why. But I thought that do - she's definitely the sea monster. Thought that when Naruto met her the first time. Also, it was quit obvious that Naruto would be saved by her.

Well, it's maybe not right to complain. I'm just angry the Bleach filler seems so bad, and Naruto fillers... yeah, you know how they usually turn out. Well, I'm still following Naruto, and this could be interessting. I really hope it will.

darkmetal505
Thu, 01-26-2006, 06:59 PM
im not getting my hopes up, the stuff about anko's past was interesting.

Necromas
Thu, 01-26-2006, 07:30 PM
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/4544/realplay20060126182512297be.jpg

Looks like the monster is definitely a woman and has the same hair color.

BioAlien
Thu, 01-26-2006, 08:57 PM

oO can you prove what you just said?

Necromas
Thu, 01-26-2006, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by: BioAlien

oO can you prove what you just said?

This isn't DBZ, Hair doesn't change color when you transform and it doesn't get longer for guys, if you want proofs, look at the level 2 forms of oros henchman from the chasing sasuke episodes.

ChaosK
Thu, 01-26-2006, 10:33 PM
...naruto's first kiss?

masamuneehs
Thu, 01-26-2006, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by: Chaoskiddo
...naruto's first kiss?

http://www.kittytreats.org/naruto-sasuke-kiss-icon.gif

The yaoi is strong with this one...

anphorus
Thu, 01-26-2006, 10:49 PM
It's probably his first with a girl. Even then this doesn't really count since it's mouth-2-mouth resucitaion(sp?) not actual tonsil tennis.

EDIT: Why do I now have a horrible picture of Kagebushin + Sexy no Jutsu? Gah! It just wont leave, damn youi/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif

Necromas
Thu, 01-26-2006, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by: anphorusEDIT: Why do I now have a horrible picture of Kagebushin + Sexy no Jutsu? Gah! It just wont leave, damn you

WHY would we want to know this? The mental images, they BURN!

Terracosmo
Thu, 01-26-2006, 11:47 PM
They burn? I have quite a few pictures of that, and I think it's pretty hot. Naruko <3

Aeon
Thu, 01-26-2006, 11:53 PM
Awesome ep, finally some bad guys that don't actually suck. I was thinking that those ninjas were the same people from Kabuto's team but that one guy mentioned that his chakra stealing move was from a machine, also didn't Sasuke kill that guy? I remember him telling the examiner to not bother checking the guy after the lion combo.

nests
Fri, 01-27-2006, 01:11 AM
He wasnt dead just past out. Kankuro on the other I belive did kill the other one

ImitationSanen
Fri, 01-27-2006, 01:20 AM
Loved this episode. Anko is a hottie, and a vast untapped resource for decent plot development. Lets hope this goes somewhere !

Edort4
Fri, 01-27-2006, 04:59 AM
Well this episode was quite a surprise wasnt it? Good animation, decent story and fabulous anko. The more I see of her the more I like her twisted ways, very sensual and appealing.

I hope things could keep at this level on the next episodes but from the preview next episode seems a flashback one. What I wont be able to understand never ever is why naruto has to be always such a loser. Writers just keep going with the forever failure crap its becoming tiresome.

Aramis
Fri, 01-27-2006, 08:26 AM
This episode was allright.
And those are Kabuto's teammates from the chuunin exam? I always thought they either died or got owned so badly in duels that it would be meaningless to bring them back.
Anyway, the Ninja Pirates card is being played, which is awesome.

RedX1z
Fri, 01-27-2006, 11:38 AM
been a while since i actually watched fillers, but this one wasn't bad at all. it was actually pretty good..

Gen
Fri, 01-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by: Aramis
This episode was allright.
And those are Kabuto's teammates from the chuunin exam? I always thought they either died or got owned so badly in duels that it would be meaningless to bring them back.
Anyway, the Ninja Pirates card is being played, which is awesome.

Ninja Pirates or Pirate ninjas?

Deadfire
Fri, 01-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Well this was interesting... thanks to you all i decided to download my first Naruto Filler in many months

It was decent, I hadn't watched many fillers and based on your comments this was about 100% better... I'm wondering where they got the story and effort for this one?

anphorus
Fri, 01-27-2006, 01:48 PM
I'm guessing that Kishimoto was so pissed at the way the fillers were going he just one day went "Jesus! It really isn't that hard, asshats!" and whipped up a script for a filler plot arc in around twenty second, and that is what they're going with now.

And I think it would be Pirate Ninjas, as they are Ninjas who have become pirates. Ninja Pirates suggests to me Pirates who have somehow received Nija training to aid them on the high seas. Avast! Shiver me shurikens!

Kraco
Fri, 01-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Yeah. They have to be pirate ninjas. Ninjas can very well become pirates: Anybody who sails the sea robbing other ships is a pirate. But if one is originally a pirate, it would require unlikely discipline to become a ninja. Fullblooded pirates aren't very famous of their disciplinal tendencies.

We saw this arc seems to have animation of higher quality than the previous few. What do you think: Will the animation stay at this level for the rest of the arc, or is it possible it would fall in the middle of it? And is the quality of the animation tied to the quality of the script. I'm not saying Kishimoto would be behind the plot; that'd be quite improbable if not impossible, I suppose, but it would seem somehow intelligent that if they invested more into the animation, they would have also invested more into the story.

masamuneehs
Fri, 01-27-2006, 02:10 PM
Well, the script for this episode was good... but i sorta have a sinking (naval joke) feeling about the storyline of this arc as a whole. I mean, the second we find out who is behind the pirate attacks I feel the arc is going to lose alot of the momentum it had. Also, I can only pray that the quality of animation from this episode wasn't just a fluke (see the last episode of the Curry of Life as a prime example) and they have the actual team back from holidays or wherever the hell they were...

XanBcoo
Fri, 01-27-2006, 03:08 PM
This isn't DBZ, Hair doesn't change color when you transform and it doesn't get longer for guys, if you want proofs, look at the level 2 forms of oros henchman from the chasing sasuke episodes.

Actually, that's exactly what the most of the Sound 5's hair did: grow and change color. Sasuke too.

heero
Fri, 01-27-2006, 06:47 PM
one of the best fillers ever!

DarthEnderX
Fri, 01-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by: Kraco
Yeah. They have to be pirate ninjas. Ninjas can very well become pirates: Anybody who sails the sea robbing other ships is a pirate. But if one is originally a pirate, it would require unlikely discipline to become a ninja. Fullblooded pirates aren't very famous of their disciplinal tendencies.

A pirate who goes on to become a ninja simply doesn't exist, as ninjas do not train outsiders. Nevertheless, a ninja who takes up a life of piracy is still called a NinjaPirate. It's the core of their upbringing, followed by their current profession. In order of importance, just like japanese names.

*nods sagely*

Mr Squiggles
Fri, 01-27-2006, 07:02 PM
I'm confused... here I was, looking forward to getting a good laugh at the crappiness of a naruto filler, but then, it turns out it was actually pretty good... Are pigs flying?

ChibiYali
Fri, 01-27-2006, 08:25 PM
just birds... sorry...

wirm
Fri, 01-27-2006, 10:27 PM
I thought it was a pretty good episode.

The thing I didn't like was how weak Anko seemed. Most filler enemies are pretty weak. Either these guys are a lot stronger than normal, or I've misplaced my faith in Anko.

If they are the guys from Kabuto's team, I'd be pretty disappointed too. I mean, they were beaten by genins. A special jounin should have no problem.

Uchiha Barles
Sat, 01-28-2006, 12:37 AM
That was...surprisingly...a damn good episode. Other than the token helpless girl passing out (come on now Naruto...) I'm rather pleased....and that scares me i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif. Also, where are you getting that these were Kabuto's teammates? The chakra absorbance guy during the sasuke fight didn't have on a machine. This guy does.

Edit to below: You're right, but both those guy's should've been dead. While Sasuke's murder of the chakra absorbing guy might've been dubious, the mr. fantastic guy definately had his neck broken broken by kankurou. Inconsitencies abound. Still, only a minor annoyance in this rather good episode.

anphorus
Sat, 01-28-2006, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by: Uchiha Barles
That was...surprisingly...a damn good episode. Other than the token helpless girl passing out (come on now Naruto...) I'm rather pleased....and that scares me . Also, where are you getting that these were Kabuto's teammates? The chakra absorbance guy during the sasuke fight didn't have on a machine. This guy does.
It's probably due to them looking exactly, and I mean exactly the same.

Plus, other than the "machine" thing, they have the exact same powers.

Jeff_from_MD
Sat, 01-28-2006, 01:10 AM
I'm with Deadfire, since the last filler I saw before this one was somewhere in the curry arc.

The humor worked, and the backdrop was detailed enough. I'm waiting for Anko to do something besides snake-hands though ;\

ChaosK
Sat, 01-28-2006, 04:32 PM
snake legs?

Kraco
Sat, 01-28-2006, 05:10 PM
Well, Anko's a woman, so she can't do the real snake trick...

masamuneehs
Sat, 01-28-2006, 08:21 PM
the snake innuendo is fabulous guys.

however, i can really see why so many people believe these two guys are the teammates of Kabuto's from the Chuuin Exam. The first guy's ability is strechy-ness, stretchy legs, stretchy arms, etc. And then the second guy's main ability is absorbing chakra. So either they're those exact people (useless minor characters from the actual series have been used before in fillers ie. Mizuki) or total rip-offs. And, I being the ultra picky anime critic that i am, will forgive the fact that they brought these guys back from the dead to employ in this, sofar, terrific filler.

however, how they learned and mastered water nin techniques is beyond my imagination.

DarthEnderX
Mon, 01-30-2006, 04:44 PM
I don't know why people think either of those guys died in the exam. They stopped the other fights before they got fatal, why wouldn't they if those two were in danger of dying? Sasuke mearly KOed his opponent. And I think the second guy actually submitted.

Necromas
Mon, 01-30-2006, 05:52 PM
Trouser snake jutsu!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

darkmetal505
Mon, 01-30-2006, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by: DarthEnder
I don't know why people think either of those guys died in the exam. They stopped the other fights before they got fatal, why wouldn't they if those two were in danger of dying? Sasuke mearly KOed his opponent. And I think the second guy actually submitted.

yea, but if they were beaten so easily by sasuke and kanakuro, I would think this team would be able to pwn them.

Psyke
Mon, 01-30-2006, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by: darkmetal505
yea, but if they were beaten so easily by sasuke and kanakuro, I would think this team would be able to pwn them.

Maybe they received some "presents" from Orochimaru as well.

Mizuchi
Tue, 01-31-2006, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by: DarthEnder
a ninja who takes up a life of piracy is still called a NinjaPirate.

*nods sagely*

Correction, they are called Pirate-nin, as ninja classes often appear in the first part of the name, ending with -nin.
Such as; hunter-nin, or missing-nin.

P.S. How did Ino become a ninja? She sucks, why was she even chosen for this. Because she went ahead and fainted, Shino now has to hold back because he has to guard Ino. God dam those monkey writers.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 01-31-2006, 01:35 AM
It's a well respected tradition among ninjas to have female ninjas that pretend to be prostitutes and then assassinate the person while putting out.

Obviously Ino was hired to fill that role.

DeathscytheVII
Tue, 01-31-2006, 02:45 AM
I'm guessing that Kishimoto was so pissed at the way the fillers were going he just one day went "Jesus! It really isn't that hard, asshats!" and whipped up a script for a filler plot arc in around twenty second, and that is what they're going with now.

About damn time. XD i actually enjoyed this ep somewhat, the quality has improved to say the least., maybe ill start watching Naruto again. lol.

dbznaruto
Wed, 02-01-2006, 02:23 AM
I like all the filler episodes because it's still naruto no matter what. This episode is good and I'm sure the next will be better.

ES
Wed, 02-01-2006, 06:36 AM
Im still not getting al my hopes up too, in the end Naruto might just fart all the goodness away....

Darknodin
Wed, 02-01-2006, 12:35 PM
good episode??? uhmmm I'll watch it and see what's up