PDA

View Full Version : Shining Force series

Divinity
Tue, 01-24-2006, 10:19 PM
Yep... The Shining Force series are what got me into SRPGs. The fact that you could walk around towns and stuff made the game a lot more fun than just battle after battle games(don't get me wrong though, they are still fun.).

Anyways... If you've played them... What one was your favorite?

My favorite was Shining Force 2.

kooshi
Tue, 01-24-2006, 11:25 PM
Only played the first and second. The first one was alright, but the second was where it rocked! I should probably start playing the gam again soon i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

hopeknight
Wed, 01-25-2006, 01:56 AM
The first one is still my favorite of the series. The second one was more fleshed out but I prefered the characters of the first game.

masamuneehs
Wed, 01-25-2006, 07:25 AM
Both of these games were pretty good, but its just been so long since I played them. My memory is a little hazy...

kooshi
Wed, 01-25-2006, 02:03 PM
The thing about the first is that sometimes, the stat growths were ridiculous at times. Even around the beginning, by lucky chance, a knight could get a 7HP boost when he levels. What the heck was with that? And there were times where some stats wouldn't grow at all.
Plus, there were some levels where there were tons of monsters, yet they provided no challenge. In a tactical game, I'd much rather play against a computer that has quality rather than quantity.

Xollence
Wed, 01-25-2006, 06:15 PM
I don't remember much of it. I think I liked the second one more though. If you like Shining Force you'll defintely like Landgrisser.

Divinity
Thu, 01-26-2006, 10:33 PM
I think Langrisser was renamed Warsong when it came to the US. And yeah I'ved played it and it was also a really good game. They need more games like that.

Xollence
Thu, 01-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Der Langdrisser was the best. You can find the rom almost on any emulation site.

rockmanj
Thu, 02-02-2006, 12:36 AM
It s kind of a toss up, but i gotta say SF2...and two words sum it up: Peter Phoenix...i mean his attack was throwing tornados, and he couldnt die!!

bagandscalpel
Thu, 02-02-2006, 05:30 AM
SF1 was the only one I completed, though I figure I'll get back to 2 sometime.

Though, I must admit, the Laser Eye battle in SF1 stands out most to me, and that was just the frosting to the cake of awesomeness this game is.

kooshi
Thu, 02-02-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by: rockmanj
It s kind of a toss up, but i gotta say SF2...and two words sum it up: Peter Phoenix...i mean his attack was throwing tornados, and he couldnt die!!

Yeah, Peter was the best character ever. The moment you get him, he can get about 2 - 3 stat points up for almost every category! Plus, he had massive HP, attack damage, defense, ability to fly with awesome movement range, resistance against fire magic, and revives himself when fallen in battle. How perfect is that?! Just give him weapons to boost his attack even more, but too bad that won't happen.

hopeknight
Thu, 02-02-2006, 11:39 PM
For SF2 the best character has got to be Karna (she's the priest you can get from Creed's Manor). She has the boost spell which makes her ridiculously easy to level up and if you promote her to master monk you has a wonderful killing machine that can heal your whole party with Aura lvl4. I think I had her over level 70 promoted before the end of the game, she could take out Zeon single-handedly. Unfortunately most people never use her because they don't think they need another healer and she starts out a such a low level.

rockmanj
Fri, 02-03-2006, 12:08 AM
those master monks werent a joke...not only can they kick ass, but they can heal, and are fairly quick. I usually just killed everyone with peter, kana, and sarah (id let kazin join in every now and then, too) i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif

kooshi
Fri, 02-03-2006, 02:04 PM
Oh man, I completely forgot about the master monks! Those were absolutely kickass! Go Karna + Sarah + Sheena (I think that's her name), although Sheena is the worst out of the 3. It's unfortunate that not many people chose Karna at Creed's mansion.

wirm
Wed, 02-15-2006, 11:09 AM
SF2 was the only one I've played. Were there any after that?

btw, the master monks ruled. So easy to level, so strong, and good healers too.

Divinity
Wed, 02-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by: wirm
SF2 was the only one I've played. Were there any after that?

btw, the master monks ruled. So easy to level, so strong, and good healers too.

Shining Force 3. It's broken into 3 parts called Scenarios. Only Scenario 1 came out to the US for the saturn.

The other 2 are in Japanese, but you can download them and play on an emulator. There's no patch that translate it to english because they said something about it being too complex, but people have wrote the translations on http://www.shiningforcecentral.com/ so you can print out the sheet and match it up with the games conversations.