PDA

View Full Version : question

tha_seeker
Fri, 01-20-2006, 02:31 AM
Hello to everyone, newbie here!!!
I have a question that I've meant to ask,...I have long wondered why some characters in anime mainly Kisame of Naruto or Ichigo in Bleach have swords wrapped in bandages, is there some special purpose that I am not privy of???

Kensee
Fri, 01-20-2006, 02:58 AM
style pretty much. Not always wrapped in bandage, just beats carrying arund a sheath i suppose.

bagandscalpel
Fri, 01-20-2006, 03:46 AM
Well, Kensee is right about the sheath.

Although, that's only due to the swords themselves. After all, there's no drawing a sword from a sheath longer than the length of the user's arm. And in the case of the Samehada, Kisame would be hardpressed to find a sheath capable of withstanding the roughness of his sword.

Necromas
Sun, 01-22-2006, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by: bagandscalpel
Well, Kensee is right about the sheath.

Although, that's only due to the swords themselves. After all, there's no drawing a sword from a sheath longer than the length of the user's arm. And in the case of the Samehada, Kisame would be hardpressed to find a sheath capable of withstanding the roughness of his sword.

And, for Kisama, it hides the special properties of his weapon, giving him an advantage if he misleads the opponent with an easy to block attack and they clasp the sword inbetween their palms. But it must be pretty inconvenient to have to wrap up your sword after every fight.

Also, Sanosuke from Kenshin wrapped his sword in bandages.

darkmetal505
Sun, 01-22-2006, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by: tha_seeker
Hello to everyone, newbie here!!!
I have a question that I've meant to ask,...I have long wondered why some characters in anime mainly Kisame of Naruto or Ichigo in Bleach have swords wrapped in bandages, is there some special purpose that I am not privy of???

because it makes them look like a pimp

reesaroni
Mon, 01-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by: darkmetal505

because it makes them look like a pimp

touche

tha_seeker
Mon, 01-23-2006, 08:19 PM
Thank you guys for your answers, I have always been quite puzzled about it. Now are those just cases seen in anime, or has there been any case in real life of a martial artist wrapping his/her sword with bandages(if there exist such huge swords to start with)??? basically I just want to know if it's just in ANIME LAND or does that transcend to real life.

darkmetal505
Mon, 01-23-2006, 08:37 PM
im pretty sure its just ANIME LAND, most katana sheaths are not wrapped in bandages. There is a form of fighting however, where they do keep the sword in the katana so it is covered. They only unsheath it to strike (it increases the speed or something).