PDA

View Full Version : Doomsday predictions

KitKat
Thu, 01-12-2006, 08:25 PM
I just finished reading the article 'Why the Future Doesn't Need Us" by Bill Joy, and though I usually get really bored reading assigned articles for school, I loved this one. In our culture of blind faith in technology and unlimited optimism about new technological developments, it's not often that you'll hear such a negative stance on the future. For those of you that don't mind reading the whole article (it's long) you can find it here (http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.04/joy.html). For the rest, I'll summarize by saying that he postulates our accelerated rate of technological development will lead to our demise and the end of the human species.

In our day and age, there are so many things that people are predicting will kill us all off or ruin our world forever. The question is, which will come first? Will rogue nanobots eat away our biosphere? Will a nuclear war obliterate all life? Will a deadly supervirus sweep through the population? Will global warming cover the surface of the earth in undrinkable water? Will an asteroid smash into our planet? What will happen first, and how soon will it be? Post your theories and timelines!

Knives122
Thu, 01-12-2006, 08:31 PM
My theory is that super jedi aliens come to out planet in 2019 and use their jesus powers to wipe us out. Why do they want to wipe up out you ask? Because we're better looking than they are...

Phoenix20578
Thu, 01-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by: Knives122
My theory is that super jedi aliens come to out planet in 2019 and use their jesus powers to wipe us out. Why do they want to wipe up out you ask? Because we're better looking than they are...

And I thought I had issues... i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

The most realistic way I see us all dying is enviormental issues like the ozone.

Divinity
Thu, 01-12-2006, 08:33 PM
I believe that there is another solar system or galaxy way out there. Tomorrow, I will be abducted onto a fantasy/medieval planet and become the chosen one to save the world from evil.

Knives122
Thu, 01-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by: Phoenix20578

Originally posted by: Knives122

And I thought I had issues...

The most realistic way I see us all dying is enviormental issues like the ozone.

what's wrong with my doomsday prediction?

Phoenix20578
Thu, 01-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Seems to Sci-Fi-ish

RedX1z
Thu, 01-12-2006, 08:52 PM
yeah, basically that's the only way, you'll all die in 20-30 years. so, live out life as much as you can before that happens and leave this world without regret!

on second note, i have less than 3 due to bad habits and other things..i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

FrogKing
Thu, 01-12-2006, 09:02 PM
I definately think it'll be a supervirus; due to the population constraints that we are putting on the globe and the modern 'vectors' make this a possibility. Additionally, global warming resulting in elevated water could cause mass migration and major problems which could facilitate a superviral outbreak...Basically, we are all gonna be fodder for some bug and believe me we (re: general population) will get wiped out. However, I do think that we as humans will persist it is just that the core (90%+) of the population will collapse and given the modern industrialization of supplies (think about how many people/resources it takes to get fresh water to our houses) most will die within the first year, but I think some will make it and re-populate the planet (albiet slowly).
<my 2 cents>

Honoko
Thu, 01-12-2006, 09:07 PM
honestly, i don't think it'll be just one "disaster" that'll be ultimately responsible. i'm more inclined to think that a series or a combination of events would lead to our ruin.... i'm thinking natural disasters (as a result of global warming) coupled w/ a supervirus or two and maybe an asteroid thrown in i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif and i'd give this a timeline of 40 years.

Terracosmo
Thu, 01-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Bombs/war. Definitely.

Though the earth's natural resources running out would be a distant second.

I'm glad I'll be dead by then. Wow, that's gonna suck for the future generations.

Board of Command
Thu, 01-12-2006, 09:18 PM
The world already ended when the first idiot was born 10000 years ago. Right now we're just living in the aftermath of that unfortunate inbreeding incident.

darkmetal505
Thu, 01-12-2006, 09:28 PM
another world war or alien invasion

KoKo37
Thu, 01-12-2006, 09:38 PM
I'd think War's gonna do it, the USA already have enough nukes to destroy everything, and probally in the future other country's will have lots too x.X.

aznimperialx
Thu, 01-12-2006, 10:28 PM
day after tomorrow

Board of Command
Thu, 01-12-2006, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by: KoKo37
I'd think War's gonna do it, the USA already have enough nukes to destroy everything, and probally in the future other country's will have lots too x.X.
If I'm not mistaken, most of the US's nukes are expired pieces of shit from the Cold War that don't even work anymore. The only working nukes they have are prototypes. I wouldn't surprised if one bomb has the potential to destroy the entire planet, although that would never happen. Nuclear weapons are what prevents a WW3.

Necromas
Thu, 01-12-2006, 10:58 PM
I predict that the world will be taken over by frogs and they will exterminate mankind because the frog whores will be too atracted to us.

Carnage
Fri, 01-13-2006, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by: Terracosmo
Bombs/war. Definitely.

Though the earth's natural resources running out would be a distant second.

I'm glad I'll be dead by then. Wow, that's gonna suck for the future generations.

Thats definately it. Look at all the idiots and greedy assholes in power already. Mandkind is not responsible enough to have nukes. I predict within the next 20-30 years, we're all going to be blown up. But thats the way to die, nice and quick.

FrogKing
Fri, 01-13-2006, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by: Necromas
I predict that the world will be taken over by frogs and they will exterminate mankind because the frog whores will be too atracted to us.

Lol, amphibian decline due to habitate loss is a key reason why that won't happen in ours or any other life time.

LaZie
Fri, 01-13-2006, 12:33 AM
Aliens would come to our planet and enslave us all, but I happen to become the chosen one because I unlock and release the Sword in the Stone and become all powerful and pwn. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

6Zabuza9
Fri, 01-13-2006, 01:40 AM
a giant asteroid hits north america and most of us die except for a few, and the few gains superpowers and abuses them, and kills everything. or just some plain giant comets hit earth and we alll die.

ChiaCheese
Fri, 01-13-2006, 04:48 AM
i think things are going to be pretty interesting 60 years from now when we run out of oil.

el_boss
Fri, 01-13-2006, 07:41 AM
I don't believe it will be something direct like the oil running out or war. I'm betting on something bigger, something on a cosmic level. The sun dying out or the big crunch are viable, but it feels like they are too far away to concern us. I'm obviously no expert but I think that something could mess up the earths orbit and the temerature gets either extremely cold or warm. Also something could happen to the moon, which would mess up the tides and there would be floods all over the place. It would also obstruct earth's rythm creating irregularities in the weather and such.

Knives122
Fri, 01-13-2006, 10:06 AM
I still think Jesus powered Alien Jedi will enslave us b/c we're better looking then they are

Turkish-S
Fri, 01-13-2006, 11:47 AM
hell will be full and the dead wil come to this world and kill us all.

LobsterMagnet
Fri, 01-13-2006, 05:17 PM
Screw nonobots I see humanity dying from a far more common and less exciting ways. Such as huge wars and conflicts eurupting over the dwindling number of resources. Sad truth is that if everyone on the planet consumed as much as americans do or other well-to do first world nations we would need at least another five earths to support and sustain us. Something needs to be done fast in terms of conservation and switching to green energies or else the next four or five decades are going to be pretty bleak with massive global starvation and global conflicts over basic resources like water and food. Screw technology were doing a pretty good job as is in terms of screwing ourselfves over. Then again maybe there will be a giant swarm of parrots that will rule over all.

The Heretic Azazel
Fri, 01-13-2006, 06:18 PM
Knives has the most logical theory I think.

Jessper
Fri, 01-13-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by: BOARD_of_command
If I'm not mistaken, most of the US's nukes are expired pieces of shit from the Cold War that don't even work anymore. The only working nukes they have are prototypes. I wouldn't surprised if one bomb has the potential to destroy the entire planet, although that would never happen. Nuclear weapons are what prevents a WW3.

Most if not all of the bombs we make these days are smaller than the ones used on Japan. That, and all the tactical nukes in our nuclear subs work, along with enough ICBMs to retaliate against an attack. I can assure you that much.

As for the end of human kind, there is very little that could kill EVERYONE at this point. A VERY large scale nuclear war with enough aftermath to leave a dense enough cloud cover to allow the earth to cool to the point that the air liquifies might do the trick though.

masamuneehs
Sat, 01-14-2006, 10:38 AM
I say that we wipe ourselves out.

I don't think it will be through warfare, even though we've certainly developed weapons strong enough to annihilate Earth a hundred times over.

I'm betting on us ruining the planet's ecosystem through reckless pollution and making it uninhabitable for the most part. Obviously there will be some pockets of human life thanks to science and technology (always saving our asses), but then those pockets will either be wiped out by natural disasters, a freak accident ("I told you NEVER push the big red button!"), or war.

Aramis
Sat, 01-14-2006, 03:27 PM
I think there will be some disaster that will deacrease world population to, maybe, a few millions or so. Those have to happen every once in a while. The time humanity goes extinct is when we evolve into something else.

AtHRunOwNZaLL
Sat, 01-14-2006, 05:00 PM
i'm gonna have to agree with everything that masamuneehs said

Board of Command
Sat, 01-14-2006, 08:12 PM
12 Monkeys <-- watch it

Mr Squiggles
Mon, 01-16-2006, 12:44 AM
I'm voting for none other than yours truly being the cause of the earth's destruction. Here's how it'll go:

1: I start my own cult
2: Make millions off of gullible idiots that join my cult
3: Use the money to invest heavilly in a space program
4: I take over the moon
5: Build a "+5 super-atomic mega laz0r of smiting" on the moon
6: lay siege on the earth, and in the process destroy it
7: eat all my cultist minions because I suddenly feel a little hungry
8: I'm the only one left!

Divinity
Mon, 01-16-2006, 10:09 PM
This is Divinity responding from another planet in another galaxy. Like I said, I was chosen to save this planet. The technology here is pretty advance, but medieval like also. Kind of like Final Fantasy. It's pretty cool here. The people are friendly, but there is a lot of evil roaming around. Demons and stuff to be slain. I'm still learning my powers, but hopefully I can get stronger..

OMG DEMONS ARE COMING, I GOTTA GO! TILL NEXT TIME!

XanBcoo
Thu, 01-19-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by: BOARD_of_command
12 Monkeys <-- watch it

Awesome movie.

I'm not worried about the world ending 'cause by that time (hopefully in the distant future), I'll be dead or we will have moved to the moon. But yeah, bombs, war, ruining the ecosystem, a super virus. All of those sound plausible.