PDA

View Full Version : Game: Street Fighter (The best fighting game?)

Divinity
Thu, 01-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Street Fighter is my #1 fighting game. My fav character is Ryu. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Alpha 2 was probably the best IMO. I didn't like Alpha 3 because they took out the original songs of each characters stage and the new ones weren't that great. The classics were all good too, but it's just that Alpha series are more up to date with the graphics, there are super moves, and more characters. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

As for Street Fighter III, they were ok. I wasn't much of a fan of the new characters.

They need to make a Street Fighter Allstars which would include all street fighter characters from SFII to SFIII and have online play as well.

Terracosmo
Thu, 01-12-2006, 05:38 PM
I'll never forget the happy days of my youth, where me and 4 other kids would get together and try to beat Street Fighter 2.
Continue after continue went by, until we eventually got through the damn bosses and beat down M.Bison. Such was the joy!

I miss those days.

Oh and Ryu was my favorite too. HADOKEN!

anphorus
Thu, 01-12-2006, 05:51 PM
When I was very young I always used to go Blanka, for no other reason except that the only special move I knew how to do his electrocution move, but then I learned the Hadoken and the Konoha Whirlwind, so I went Ryu since he ruled.

I fondly remember the first time any of us ever beat M. Bison, it was with Zangief and he started Russian dancing with the president. Oh how we laughed.

I also remember that when I was about 9 or so, it didn't click with me that the Street Fighter map was an ACTUAL map of the world, since I wasn't used to seeing Japan in the middle instead of Britain or America.i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif

RedX1z
Thu, 01-12-2006, 07:58 PM
street fighter was one of the best fighting games while i was growing up, you'll never forget hadouken or sonic boom or some other crap, but the point is, it was fun. nowadays, if you play marvel vs capcom 2, street fighter characters suck beyond words. not looking to good over there. ah, one more thing, my favorite character in the first street fighter games was guile, sonic boom and knife kick, but nowadays it's charlie(basically same thing, but cooler.), ryu, sakura(she's godly, so you people shut up!).

Divinity
Thu, 01-12-2006, 08:29 PM
No way!! SF characters all the way in MvC2! Akuma, Ryu, and Guile.

Akuma does his dragon punch super and right before he goes up to finish the 3rd dragon punch, I connect it with Ryu's dragon punch super. Pretty much almost kills a guy or does over half a bar of damage. It's always hard to get Ryu's dragon punch off since it goes straight up, so connecting it with another special does wonders.

RedX1z
Thu, 01-12-2006, 08:35 PM
magneto, sentinel, psylocke, and cable's infinites makes all street fighter characters look like trash. it's the unwritten rule of mvc2, if a skilled player performs infinites with either of those characters and some others, they will win. i've never seen anyone win a tournament with any street fighter characters, because they are seriously trash in mvc2.

Divinity
Thu, 01-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by: UltxDarkRedX1
magneto, sentinel, psylocke, and cable's infinites makes all street fighter characters look like trash. it's the unwritten rule of mvc2, if a skilled player performs infinites with either of those characters and some others, they will win. i've never seen anyone win a tournament with any street fighter characters, because they are seriously trash in mvc2.

Well if you put it like that then it's true. The capcom characters don't really have any people with a lot of combos, but I still like playing with the SF characters.

Terracosmo
Thu, 01-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Question: How do you summarize MvC2 in 3 words?

Answer: HYPER VIPER BEAM!

RedX1z
Thu, 01-12-2006, 09:22 PM
projectile or bust?*shrug*

you just can't say no to psylocke, the worst she's ever done is give you the finger after she wins. plus, people love the butterfly special for some reason.

also, to answer the question, king of fighters is the best fighting game for me.

kooshi
Thu, 01-12-2006, 09:27 PM
Street Fighter was awesome back then. Ryu was definitely the best (or Ken since they were pretty much the same, except for minor differences).
The Marvel vs Capcom games were just alright. They're fun, but it's just sometimes too easy to beat the opponent.
Capcom vs SNK is where the Street Fighter characters really shine, IMO. CvS2 is my favorite fighting game involving the SF gang.

KoKo37
Thu, 01-12-2006, 09:29 PM
those were good times XD, I always liked Ryu but my bro always picked him >.>, and since I hated Ken, I usally picked that green guy, or E. Honda i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif.

RedX1z
Thu, 01-12-2006, 09:35 PM
did it really matter if you hated ken or not? ryu and ken were the same damn thing, hadouken, shoryuken, hurricane kick. they were only different later on, when they finally invented specials.

KoKo37
Thu, 01-12-2006, 09:46 PM
No with Ryu I think you had to rotate the pad towards your enemy, with Ken you had to rotate the opposite direction X.x... or its the other way around, but also I just didn't like Ken's looks. <-- ( thats everything in picking a character >.> )

JD2825
Thu, 01-12-2006, 09:50 PM
Ryu was cool but the first time I played I was 5 (SF2 SEGA) or something so I couldn't understand how to use him but after time I owned all my friends and learned how to use him actually I still have my Genesis and still play every once in a while.

RedX1z
Thu, 01-12-2006, 09:51 PM
you say you pick a character on looks, but you pick e.honda over ken..explain how does that work?XD

Divinity
Thu, 01-12-2006, 09:53 PM
you say you pick a character on looks, but you pick e.honda over ken..XD

Hey man, maybe he likes E.honda more? He probably has a thing for sumo wrestlers.

AtHRunOwNZaLL
Thu, 01-12-2006, 11:13 PM
LOL wow old memories coming back... street fighter was definitely awesome for me back then, but now my favorite fighting games are capcom vs snk2 and king of fighters, i'm also thinking about entering the tournament for capcom vs snk2 in 2007 at san francisco

kooshi
Thu, 01-12-2006, 11:18 PM
There was a difference between Ryu and Ken in SFII, IIRC.

Ryu --> based more on power --> One hit of the Dragon Punch and spinning kick sends you flying
Ken --> based more on combos --> Can do multiple (but each hit is weaker) hits for the Dragon Punch and spinning kick

NM
Thu, 01-12-2006, 11:27 PM
The one character I hated the most was M. Bison. Everytime my cousin or brother played as him, they would be really cheap with him in that they would constantly do his sliding move. Once that move connected to me, they would just have M.Bison continue doing that slide until I died and I was never able to get out of it. >_<

Ken and Ryu were definetly my favorite characters, played as them ALL the time. With the exception of that M. Bison attack, I still remember having so much fun playing Street Fighter.

Psyke
Fri, 01-13-2006, 05:44 AM
Cheapest character in SF 2 has got to be Guile. Tick tick tick slam!

KoKo37
Fri, 01-13-2006, 06:14 AM
you say you pick a character on looks, but you pick e.honda over ken..explain how does that work?XD
Well always I usally pick the fast little guy in most games, though since street fighter didn't have one and since speed never matterd to much in it E. Honda was the next best choice XD, inno he just looks cool and I thought his super fast punch was funny when I was a kid. And Ken just looks stupid imo i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif.

Ryllharu
Fri, 01-13-2006, 07:20 AM
That is what the ladies of fighting games are for. Speed. They do less damage, but who cares? They're faster. Last time I played SF was 2 Turbo. The machine at the dairy bar near me probably got $50 in quarters out of me. I later switched to Guilty Gear for my 2D fighter fix.

Chun-Li, all the way. If you can ever get someone stupid enough to walk or jump into a lightning kick, they're done.

RedX1z
Fri, 01-13-2006, 03:14 PM
yeah, but the thing is, that's why we have fireballs, if someone tries to pull that bullshit on you, you just throw a sonic boom in their face.

Zinobi
Sat, 01-14-2006, 10:58 PM
I remember playing SF2 Collector's Edition or something for the Genesis with my bro. it was fun never had to continue...til M. Bison -_-....but now a days i prefer Tekken but thanx to SF2 i became a fighter-game-guy

Psyke
Sat, 01-14-2006, 11:16 PM
Whenever I take any flights from SIA (Singapore Airlines), I would play the original SF2, right in my seat. They have this collection of old SNES games which you can play, using the controller/phone thingy from the side of your seat. I always make it a point to complete the game (usually on level 8) with either Ryu/Ken/Guile. It's hard to execute the specials using the controller, but most of the time you don't need to if you know your character well.

DB_Hunter
Sat, 01-14-2006, 11:31 PM
Street Fighter is the ultimate old school fighting game. I only played the bonafide series on the SNES, and it was awesome.

Strider
Mon, 01-16-2006, 07:08 PM
I always hated Ryu, for some odd reason.

I mean, back in the day when Street Fighter was new, and the complete rage for all gamers within the fighting genre.

Now, I'm a complete MvC junkie. Rather, a Vs. Series nut. But, everyone would easily say an MvC junkie considering I own both arcade machines.

Ryu for me never got good until X-Men v. Street Fighter, where I finally let go of Ken, and only because Ryu's supers were so much better. During the actual Street Fighter & Alpha Series games, Fei Long was my absolute favorite. Who doesn't love Bruce Lee!? And, his little victory pose, where he'd stand in horse-stance simply vibrating and howling. Classic greatness.

As long as you do not mention the EX Series, Street Fighter can do no wrong.

Oh. And, I'll always hate Sagat, whose name I've mispronounced for the better portion of my life. And, considering my discontent for the character I had dubbed him "Sagat (sa-git) the Faggot." .. I hate him.

ChaosK
Mon, 01-16-2006, 08:07 PM
i loved alpha 2 once i figured out how to change ryu into ken and akuma. i also thought dan was hilarious, "gaduken!" sign an autograph and throw it at you.

and of course chun-li, once you got good with her, you were unstoppable.

Psyke
Tue, 01-17-2006, 05:16 AM
Anyone played the Street Fighter EX series? I thought it was a great series and underrated by many fans. The expert mode was fantastic and can easily take you days to clear all the seemingly impossible moves. Best thing I liked about this series is the classic gameplay engine, which is really solid and it's the type of game that 2 good players can keep going round after round without getting bored.

Divinity
Tue, 01-17-2006, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by: Chaoskiddo
i loved alpha 2 once i figured out how to change ryu into ken and akuma. i also thought dan was hilarious, "gaduken!" sign an autograph and throw it at you.

and of course chun-li, once you got good with her, you were unstoppable.

Huh? Change Ryu into Ken and Akuma?

Anyways... Evil Ryu and Super Akuma all the way! Though I don't pick Super Akuma much cuz he's so fast and strong. Double air fireballs!.

Playing the saturn version, one time I played Evil Ryu and I ended up fighting Super Akuma at the end. He owned me so fast and it was a 1 time chance to fight him. There's a secret to fight him, but I don't own my saturn anymore. Not sure if it's possible for the arcade version, but I'll have to look.

aznimperialx
Tue, 01-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Chun Li owned

insanitii
Tue, 01-17-2006, 09:34 PM
My favorite characters were always ryu ken and chun li. As for akuma, I thought he wasn't that good, and it's true in my case because I always kill him easily... computer or friend/stranger. I loved Ken because his combos just seem cool, 3 hit uppercut[last one all firey]. Ryu was just badass... even in the anime. Chun Li is also very good if you know how to use her.
--
I remember seeing some video of Chun Li vs Ken, and that was just krazy. Amazing come back, after seeing that I liked Ken even more.

kooshi
Tue, 01-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by: insanitii

I remember seeing some video of Chun Li vs Ken, and that was just krazy. Amazing come back, after seeing that I liked Ken even more.

Ah, you talking about the one where Chun Li just needed one more hit to win, even with a blocked special move for chip damage? Haha, that was pure gold! I couldn't believe that the Ken guy PARRIED all of Chun Li's 16 or 17 or whatever hit combo special, then won with his own super.

As for me, my choice of characters are (in no order):
Akuma, Chun Li, Ken, Ryu, Maki, Sakura, Ibuki, Makoto, and Yun.

insanitii
Tue, 01-17-2006, 10:03 PM
hahah yeah thats the video I'm talking about. when I saw that I was freaking out. good stuff.
I like your choice of characters, kooshi, except I'm not too familiar with Maki, Ibuki, Makoto or Yun. Sakura and Akuma are alright though, I prefer Sakura.

Terracosmo
Tue, 01-17-2006, 11:00 PM
The best character in recent Street Fighter history is easily Remy. Goddamn, I like him so much that I even imported a nice figurine.

So sexy design.

ImitationSanen
Wed, 01-18-2006, 04:02 AM
Dhalsim!! With his stretchy kicks allowed me to keep my 4 year old little sister at bay for hours at a time lol. Friggin Saggat was so hard to beat. Balrog was a joke tho.

Kensee
Wed, 01-18-2006, 09:01 AM
Raging Demon

naw Ken way better. I beat MVC 2 for the first time using Ken, Gambit, and Captain Commando.
now I use Ken, Captain Commando, and Iron man ...

Gambit still sexy, they should of put him in the x-men movies -_-

ImitationSanen
Wed, 01-18-2006, 04:04 PM
Thats right, I never noticed him not being in the movies, How could we forget the first mutant ragin Cajun?

RedX1z
Thu, 01-19-2006, 11:07 AM
gambit is the man in x-men! also, in the games, to prove it, he has his own glitch for instant victory which make him bounce off the wall and off the screen..*shrug*

the characters you people mentioned are godly, but i just say charlie or sakura(though, i never understood why they always made her shinku-hadouken firing upwards..).

wirm
Wed, 02-15-2006, 11:13 AM
I loved SF2. Played it all the time. I also played a bit of Alpha 1 where you can have ken + ryu vs bison in a 2v1. That was great.

dragonrage
Mon, 03-06-2006, 02:38 AM
street fight is the best game ever keep me in the arcade for hours( time didn't exist) i like street fighter vs marvel comics and capcom vs snk those are the best and the original game was awsome alwasy had arguements with my friends over which game was better street fighter or mortal kombat...... ahhh the memories..... what happy times.

Mon, 03-13-2006, 09:23 AM
it indeed is a great game... i started playing street fighter I and others recreationally as a kid... my favorite was called street fighter hacked version or something like that... where when ryu did an uppercut, 1509324 fireballs will come out at the same time! and then u could press the start button to change your character it was really fucked up like that

i play street fighter 3: third strike pretty seriously too. I went to a out of town tournament in Philly (I live in NY right now) and it was pretty fun.

kooshi
Mon, 03-13-2006, 01:38 PM
Since there's so many Street Fighter fans here, what about King of Fighters? They're both pretty much the same, except for a few differences (like having teams).
Me, Street Fighter was the first fighting game I got into (and for a LONG time). However, I find KoF to be more fun since there's more characters and teams.... and some of the supers look so much damn cooler, haha.

Deblas
Mon, 03-13-2006, 02:08 PM
I remember from Street Fighter II that Vega and M. Bison were such a bitch to beat! I could only beat him with 3 characters. Chunli (sp), Ryu and Ken (And that's because they have the same attacks).