PDA

View Full Version : New York Transit Strike

Lefty
Wed, 12-21-2005, 02:15 AM
If you haven't heard the entier new york Transit Union has gone on general strik as of 3am tuesday morning. Here are a few article about it.
Article 1 (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051220/ap_on_re_us/nyc_transit_talks)
Article 2 (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10466982/)
NY Times Articles (http://www.nytimes.com/pages/nyregion/nyregionspecial3/index.html?excamp=GGGNnewyorktransitstrike)

This will make it a living hell for anyone that works in town. 7 milion people have to either walk, hich a ride, biyc, or not go to work at all. Though with all the fines that have been imp[osed on the union i doubt this will last long.

Xollence
Wed, 12-21-2005, 02:17 AM
Yeah it sucks working in the city. I have to leave for work at 3:30 AM today. And finding parking is terrible.

Lefty
Wed, 12-21-2005, 05:16 AM
Thats beyond harsh and unfair. I hope there is some circle of hell were transit workers that mess with people lives like this go to.

Uchiha Barles
Wed, 12-21-2005, 06:05 AM
The transit strike is pretty bad, and trust me, I'm pissed as it is. I'm stuck in fucking Brooklyn for the duration of this strike, but I can't blame the workers for wanting to strike. Originally the had planned to cut pension, increase retirement age, and give wages workers thought didn't reflect their value. Through intense negotiations a contract that I would call a decent compromise came about, but then the MTA had to go ahead and demand an increased percentage in amount the workers put towards their pensions. Now, I'm not saying its so bad, but what I am saying is that the MTA put them through so much bullshit, that really, they're not interested in hearing anything unfavorable, they've got the city by the nuts, and I can't really blame them for finally wanting to pull weight.

aznimperialx
Wed, 12-21-2005, 07:10 AM
luckly, i don't have a job like you guys, i got schol, and even though i live 7blocks away from my school, i still didn't go i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

aznimperialx
Wed, 12-21-2005, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by: aznimperialx
luckly, i don't have a job like you guys, i got schol, and even though i live 7blocks away from my school, i still didn't go but you can't blame the striking people, their pay is crap

Uchiha Barles
Wed, 12-21-2005, 07:37 AM
No no no, you don't quote yourself and double post, you edit your first post and add whatever it is you forgot there.

KoKo37
Wed, 12-21-2005, 07:39 AM
ok first of all "aznimperialx" use the edit button dont double post i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif, if there was that bug that doesn't let you edit then jus wait till someone else posts or you might get flamed XD.

anyways on to the discussion, personly i agree with the strike. the MTA are just being unreasonable, now I understand that its going to be very irritating to a lot of people and its going to cost the city a lot of money but personly i think its something that needs to be done with other attemps failing.

Bloomberg has said the walkout could cost the city as much as $400 million a day, and would be particularly harsh at the height of the holiday season. He said a strike would freeze traffic into "gridlock that will tie the record for all gridlocks."
wouldn't of guessed it'd be that much, though i dont know much about economy i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Pension issues have been a major sticking point in the talks. The MTA wants to raise the age at which new employees become eligible for full pension from 55 to 62, which the union says is unfair.
ok personly 57-58 would be a good age, but 62 is getting to high imo -.-".

Jose Padilla, 34, said he and fellow Coca-Cola employees are meeting at 4 a.m. to come up with a plan to put more workers in trucks to ensure their product gets delivered in the case of a strike.
well thats nice to know i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif.

RedX1z
Wed, 12-21-2005, 09:30 AM
how long do you people guess that this will last?

anyways, it's hell, but what can we do about it? though, they really picked the worst time of year to do it, seriously..

edit:suddenly want coke for some reason..

Lefty
Wed, 12-21-2005, 11:37 AM
The last strike lasted 18 days but this could be cut short due to all the lovely fines that are being imposed on the union and wrokers. But fuck this could go into the first few weeks of the new year. What i'm surprised about is that people haven't attacked the picket lines enmass to hurt if not kill some of the transit workers out of frustratioin and anger.

Giboc
Wed, 12-21-2005, 11:59 AM
The strike won't last for too much longer. They can't afford to do so. The union has like 3.6 million dollars, and the fine is a million per day. Toussain is hoping for a fine reduction. Hahaha. Most of the people in NYC are pissed at him for fucking up the Holiday season. So unless they want to be completely bankrupt, the strike better end soon.

masamuneehs
Wed, 12-21-2005, 12:34 PM
I was walking my ass all over the city yesterday because of this thing... It certainly is annoying, but sometimes people need to stand up and fight for what they believe in. On teh other hand, I'm pretty sure that this strike is illegal and I don't know how much its going to really help the transit workers' union.

the worst part about this is, in my opinion, the effect it will have on low-income and day-to-day workers. I know the guy who usually sells the paper outside of City Hall subway stop commutes from the Bronx. Hell, homeless people count on teh subways for charity (especially at this time of year!) and shelter. Lots of poorer people are going to struggle getting to the jobs they desperatley need, because they really can't afford expensive cabs and usually don't have a car of their own or know anyone that does. Those people are being hurt the most by this.

Lefty
Wed, 12-21-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by: Giboc
The strike won't last for too much longer. They can't afford to do so. The union has like 3.6 million dollars, and the fine is a million per day. Toussain is hoping for a fine reduction. Hahaha. Most of the people in NYC are pissed at him for fucking up the Holiday season. So unless they want to be completely bankrupt, the strike better end soon.

Well let's not for get on top[ of the 1m a day fine to Union the workers are losing two days of pay for every day there on strike and then the leader ship is also getting fined 1000 day them selfes so in reality the union is being fined like 2million a day if not more in accumilated fines. So yeah i don't see this lasting too long but it doubt it will be solved be for the new year. Union strike don't collapse that esaily.

Giboc
Wed, 12-21-2005, 11:00 PM
The international transit union or something did not approve of this strike. There is a very real possibility that what's his face gets thrown in jail, while the international union puts some sort of interim figure in power.

I personally think that they shouldn't be on strike. Some of their demands are fucking ridiculous. Age 55 retirement? Who the fuck retires at age 55? And they wanted a pay increase of 8% per year? That's a ridiculously high amount to be demanding.

At the same time, the MTA are greedy fucks. So what we have, in essence, are two greedy fucks arguing over money....

Well shit, maybe this won't be over so soon.

aznroyale
Wed, 12-21-2005, 11:03 PM
its mad gay, although i live like 5 blocks away from school, but weekends i cant go anywhere, damnit
they want freaking 8% more for the next 2-3years.... i was watching the news and i want to freaking punch the black dude. i also heard, no transportation on my chrismas VACTION OMFG!!!
im gonna get piss off if it cost $2.50 for a ride. everyone was like wtf when they changed $1.50 to 2 bucks

luckly, i don't have a job like you guys, i got schol, and even though i live 7blocks away from my school, i still didn't go

lazy ass.....my friends walk 45mins and some walk 2 hrs just to go to school

aznimperialx
Wed, 12-21-2005, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by: Uchiha Barles
No no no, you don't quote yourself and double post, you edit your first post and add whatever it is you forgot there.

i swore i clicked the edit button i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

@AznRoyal : shutup, i am lazy so what? friends who went said they did nothing, only got extra credit, freaking nerds, and my other friend said Our school got the lowest attendence on tuesday, and said our school was on the news, damnit, if i went i would've yelled to the cameraman, "Bloomberg sucks"

RedX1z
Thu, 12-22-2005, 12:15 AM
if they want a higher pay, i have 4 words for them "go back to school!". they should seriously be the last ones to be complaining. and that 1 million a day fine is like "yay, we won the strike! now we just have to use our pay to pay for the huge debt we made!". nice job, assholes!

Honoko
Thu, 12-22-2005, 12:32 AM
right, b/c if "they" all went back to school, who'd be running all the trains and driving the buses? who'd be maintaining all the subways and check the buses' tires?

i think most of you are being a bit too hard on them. if "they" are homeless you guys would be like, "go get an f---ing job!!" and now that they have jobs, you guys are like, "go back to f---ing school!!"

i sympathize w/ them... altho i'm not entirely appreciative of "their" timing. holiday season's the worst time to do it. coudln't this message be equally as effective, during, say, january? i dunno...

RedX1z
Thu, 12-22-2005, 12:41 AM
i don't think you do know what i mean. i said "go back to school!", because they are complaining about a job that they picked on their own, yet, they complaining about what they signed? if they didn't want such crappy pay from a shitty job to begin with, most of them shouldn't have been dropouts and whatever.

Giboc
Thu, 12-22-2005, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by: UltxDarkRedX1if they didn't want such crappy pay from a shitty job to begin with, most of them shouldn't have been dropouts and whatever.

Actually, they don't have crappy pay. They get paid something like 40~60k per year. That's a damn fine salary for a goverment official.

RedX1z
Thu, 12-22-2005, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by: Giboc

Originally posted by: UltxDarkRedX1if they didn't want such crappy pay from a shitty job to begin with, most of them shouldn't have been dropouts and whatever.

Actually, they don't have crappy pay. They get paid something like 40~60k per year. That's a damn fine salary for a goverment official.

after pointing that out, i just hate them more..

Lefty
Thu, 12-22-2005, 01:49 AM
Retailers are hoping by some act of god this gets resolved by the 24th to savlage whats left of the Chistmas season. But If this goes past Christmas day i see people resorting to actually assualting the picketlines. This only going to get worse as the days go on.

RedX1z
Thu, 12-22-2005, 01:52 AM
i'm not doubting that either, after seeing the people break down on day 1, you'd just imagine what would happen by day 10.

masamuneehs
Thu, 12-22-2005, 02:14 AM
Naturally the transit workers' union picked this time of year to strike BECAUSE of the proximity to the holiday season. Leverage, albeit gained with dirty hands...

Lefty
Thu, 12-22-2005, 04:05 AM
Leverage is one thing but you tend to want to get the public on your side, this is only getting the entire goddamn city in the mood for Union worker blood. But this could go on for while, since the union got in there head that if they reach a certain point that the state will just obsolve the fines that have built up over time, from the climate of the goverment I highly doubt that. No One will like themn come Christmas day I fore see this either ending come the early morning of the 26th or we will see a mailstrum of buisnesses lining up to sue the union for damages. Union does not know what they got thwm selves into.

aznimperialx
Thu, 12-22-2005, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by: UltxDarkRedX1
i don't think you do know what i mean. i said "go back to school!", because they are complaining about a job that they picked on their own, yet, they complaining about what they signed? if they didn't want such crappy pay from a shitty job to begin with, most of them shouldn't have been dropouts and whatever.

Dont you know that life won't be running if EVERYONE got a college degree, EVERYONE got ed, EVERYONE got good jobs, because then who will do the lower paying jobs such as transportation, garbage, police, firefighter and all that stuff huh?

RedX1z
Thu, 12-22-2005, 09:07 AM

Dont you know that life won't be running if EVERYONE got a college degree, EVERYONE got ed, EVERYONE got good jobs, because then who will do the lower paying jobs such as transportation, garbage, police, firefighter and all that stuff huh?

maybe you're not getting what i'm saying, i'm trying to say that if they're going to do nothing except complaining after every contract is over, then what's the freaking point of keeping those bastards around? "no one's going to run the bus, if their gone.", i'm sure there still will be people running them. i'm not saying everyone should get a college degree, i'm saying, if they wanted something better, they should've known better and not become a bus driver, second, they should've changed profession and stop wasting everyone's time. i know where you all getting at, though.

aznroyale
Thu, 12-22-2005, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by: Uchiha Barles

i swore i clicked the edit button

@AznRoyal : shutup, i am lazy so what? friends who went said they did nothing, only got extra credit, freaking nerds, and my other friend said Our school got the lowest attendence on tuesday, and said our school was on the news, damnit, if i went i would've yelled to the cameraman, "Bloomberg sucks"

cause your school SUCKS BALLS

aznimperialx
Thu, 12-22-2005, 09:31 AM
We got a freeday because of all the absence and jame madison highschool sucks balls

masamuneehs
Thu, 12-22-2005, 01:48 PM
NOW I'm pissed off...

So my dad's uncle died a couple days ago and he was supposed to fly out of JFK to go to the funeral this morning. I wake up at 3AM (actually, I just never went to bed) to drive him to the airport and help him with the luggage, since he has a cane and can't walk well.

Then, there it is: the roadblock to NYC.
(for those of you that don't know, the new rule is that only cars with 4 or more people are allowed to approach NYC before some time in the AM, i think its 11AM. In addition, this rule is being enforced by stopping ALL cars on-route to NYC and checking to make sure they have 4 people)

So we sit in traffic for 1 hour. No sweat, we left early to counter this.

Then we finally get to the cop.

Cop: "only 2 people?"
Me: "You have to be kidding me! I'm just driving him to a-"
Cop: "You have to turn around and go home."
Me: "Now wait just a minute!"
Cop: "Now don't give me trouble kid."
Me: "Huh? ME give YOU trouble? You're sitting here, causing all this traffic, stopping people from getting where they need to go and you're saying that I'M the one causing trouble?!?"

And my dad starts explaining that he is just going to the airport, not really the city. That its a funeral for one of his uncles and he's supposed to speak during it. He shows him the handicapped license. Nothing, the fucking pig won't budge.

Cop: "Now, if you'll just pull over there and turn around-"

At this point, I am livid.

Me: "And what if someone had to go to a hospital and they only had one fucking person to drive them there? Would you fucking make them turn around too? HUH?!? Or how about your mother going to one of her relatives funerals?"
Cop: *smiling* My mother would understand."
Me: "Yeah, she would. She'd spit in your fucking face, pig."
And I slam on the gas and hit the turn and drive all the way back, getting in at 5AM and just waking up now, still feeling pissed off.

FUCK THE TRANSIT UNION STRIKE!!! NOW ITS PERSONAL BITCHES!!!

aznimperialx
Thu, 12-22-2005, 02:35 PM
For good news, the strike is over...damn thats a WHOLE day of school tomrrow damnit

RedX1z
Thu, 12-22-2005, 02:47 PM
it's about time they got that over with. now, i can get on with whatever it was that i was going to do tomorrow.

aznimperialx
Thu, 12-22-2005, 02:50 PM
so unfair i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif i wanted to tomorrow to be a half day-ish. Today i went to school and we didn't even do nothing, damnit Why couldn't they just do it ONE more DAY!!!

Lefty
Thu, 12-22-2005, 02:56 PM
They could get the sytem up and running by tomorrow but at best they'll be operating at half capacity tomorrow morning full tomorrow night at best, it copuld take time for them to get everyone back to work. But wow what a waste of everyone's time and money.

RedX1z
Thu, 12-22-2005, 03:06 PM
strike is over, yet, all the fines are still sticking. so, basically, they just got fines out of this?

aznroyale
Thu, 12-22-2005, 04:03 PM
they were think of arresting the black dude

Jman
Thu, 12-22-2005, 04:06 PM
finally over...now i gotta take one of my finals tomorrow morning.

and @ masamuneehs, man that's messed up. the traffic situation is ridiculous and the cops aren't making it any easier by "directing" traffic. hell they showed a family on the news who were delayed for a long time while one of their passengers was a pregnant woman who was having contractions. the asshole cops didn't do shit until the news reporters and their camera crew literally ran towards the cops and told them that the lady was in labor and was going to give birth.
as if they didn't believe them, one of the idiots walked over to the car then looked inside the vehicle, said something to the pregnant woman before he finally let them go on ahead. fkin asshats

ChaosK
Thu, 12-22-2005, 05:59 PM
wow, this thread has pointed out to me how many people on gotwoot live in NY.

these assholes fucking suck....but its kinda fine for me. i go to college, and i live on campus so thankgod for that.
but my brother and dad go to work in the city and they acctually take trains....i dunno wtf they do but they catch a train at like 7:30am and make it to work....

aznroyale
Thu, 12-22-2005, 06:28 PM
black man chickened out, told everyone to go to work

aznimperialx
Thu, 12-22-2005, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by: aznroyale
black man chickened out, told everyone to go to work

he did not chicken out, they voted to either go back to work or not

aznroyale
Thu, 12-22-2005, 06:38 PM
he was gonna go to jail for breaking the law

RedX1z
Thu, 12-22-2005, 06:39 PM
the important thing is that everyone went back to work and we can sleep knowing that tomorrow won't be a living hell for everyone.

Assassin
Thu, 12-22-2005, 08:33 PM
panzies...they gave in too quickly

RedX1z
Thu, 12-22-2005, 09:20 PM
it's over, who cares?!

aznimperialx
Thu, 12-22-2005, 09:23 PM
it's over, who cares?!

You feel very strongly about the strike don't you?

RedX1z
Thu, 12-22-2005, 09:32 PM
yeah, well, it did fuck over part of my week, and now that it's over, i can get on with my week, as well as everyone else should. w00t!!

Xollence
Fri, 12-23-2005, 07:41 AM

it's over, who cares?!

You feel very strongly about the strike don't you?

I think anyone who works, lives, or even chills in NYC feels very strongly about this strike.

masamuneehs
Wed, 12-28-2005, 06:41 PM
Here's some coverage on the agreed settlement between the Transit Union and MTA.

"The Transport Workers Union's executive board voted Tuesday night in favor of a new contract with the Metropolitan Transit Authority in New York City, union president Roger Toussaint announced."
CNN- NYC Transit Deal OK'd by Union Leaders (http://money.cnn.com/2005/12/28/news/newsmakers/transit_contract/)

BBC Coverage (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4563672.stm)
New York Times Coverage (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/28/nyregion/nyregionspecial3/28mta.html?hp&ex=1135746000&en=679373a9a206907d&ei =5094&partner=homepage)

So it looks like this should keep them happy for the next couple years at least... Raises over the next three years, pensions... Hope they don't find something else to stir up trouble over next time.

EDIT: And the contract is supposed to run through January of 2009, so at least no big holiday strikes from the transit workers for the next 3 holiday seasons.

masamuneehs
Sat, 01-21-2006, 07:11 AM
Well, I keep double posting in these old threads because shit just keeps happening.

The transit workers union has gone back to work. Their leaders said that the union would accept the 3 year proposal that the MTA and NYC made. But all 22 thousand transit workers needed to vote on the proposal.

Transit Proposal Defeated by 7 Votes (http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/384544p-326362c.html)

Reuters Coverage (http://today.reuters.com/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyID=2006-01-20T223055Z_01_N20341370_RTRUKOC_0_US-TRANSPORT-NEWYORK.xml)

Now, while its true that the Union rejected the proposal that ended the strike they haven't gone back on strike just yet. In fact, it seems that they won't be going on strike but go to arbitration instead. That means they're going to bitch and moan and threaten to strike until they get more money or a bigger pension deal. Will update as news occurs.

milfhunter
Sat, 01-21-2006, 01:07 PM
Unionites are extortionists.

Nice way to keep allowing California's economy to kick ass all over the 30%-undeveloped state of New York. Good job, you dumb yankees. You want pay raises and bigger pensions but you don't even want to work for it? I guess that's the point of going on strike but try earning your keep for a change.

If I was George Pataki, I'd fire all those transit workers and hire the thousands of capable homeless people in NYC looking for jobs. After all, letting someone know what train to get on by pointing in its direction could be a monkey's job. As Governor, I'd also make sure that they can never get another job in the state. All employers would be required by law to check resumes for work experience, and if it shows that a prospective employee worked for the transit authority during periods of union strikes, then an employer may not legally hire such a bitch.

Roger Toussaint needs to be tied down on train tracks and get his shit rocked.

ChaosK
Sat, 01-21-2006, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by: milfhunter
Unionites are extortionists.

Nice way to keep allowing California's economy to kick ass all over the 30%-undeveloped state of New York. Good job, you dumb yankees. You want pay raises and bigger pensions but you don't even want to work for it? I guess that's the point of going on strike but try earning your keep for a change.

If I was George Pataki, I'd fire all those transit workers and hire the thousands of capable homeless people in NYC looking for jobs. After all, letting someone know what train to get on by pointing in its direction could be a monkey's job. As Governor, I'd also make sure that they can never get another job in the state. All employers would be required by law to check resumes for work experience, and if it shows that a prospective employee worked for the transit authority during periods of union strikes, then an employer may not legally hire such a bitch.

Roger Toussaint needs to be tied down on train tracks and get his shit rocked.

i'll summarize it up for those of you too lazy to read his post.

and in conclusion milfhunter is a fucking idiot who's ideas are worse than monkey shit...the end.

not every homeless bo on the street can do these jobs...i'm sure you know that.

masamuneehs
Sat, 01-21-2006, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by: milfhunter

Nice way to keep allowing California's economy to kick ass all over the 30%-undeveloped state of New York. Good job, you dumb yankees.

If I was George Pataki, I'd fire all those transit workers and hire the thousands of capable homeless people in NYC looking for jobs.

First, far more than 30% of New York state is un-developed. If you've ever been the the Adirondack range, anywhere north of Syracuse or west of Binghampton you'd know that most of New York is empty empty empty land. Besides, its alot easier to go to Cali with the nice weather and all. And, if you didn't bother reading the article, the union hasn't threatened to strike. They just rejected the proposal. They're still at work as of now, so there's no effect on the economy. Besides, the MTA charges such high prices for everything, they can afford to give the workers a bigger pay raise.

Second, Giuliani killed all the homeless people when he was Mayor of the city. They're no longer a big enough group to handle the entire transit system. Besides, not all of those jobs are as easy as you think.

milfhunter
Sat, 01-21-2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by: masamuneehs
Besides, not all of those jobs are as easy as you think.Alright, so all they have to do is keep the people who do the hard jobs, and fire everybody else.

Simple solution.

And I'm pretty sure that most of the jobs are as easy as I think they are because if a monkey with a High School Diploma can't do it, then you'd be implying that only college graduates can work there?

Even if Guiliani killed all the homeless people there, NYC has a population of way over 8 million according to a video I watched when I was still in high school. I'm sure they can find somebody. If Guiliani didn't go Hitler, they could've hired the people who lived under the train station? I saw shit about them on the National Geographic channel.