PDA

View Full Version : naruto downloads on DVD

nine_tail
Mon, 12-19-2005, 11:50 PM
I tryed to put some episodes on DVD. Because I was trying to free up some room on my PC. But when I went to watch it on my tv the subtitles are really low and I only see half of the subtitles. What did I do wrong?
Its like the video is bigger then my tv.
Can you help.
Sorry I didn't know where to post this.
Thanx

These types of questions can be asked in the various support forums/topics.

Moved to Anime Support.

Gotwoot Moderator

Jadugar
Mon, 12-19-2005, 11:55 PM
Get a bigger TV.

Try reading this page. You might find your answer.

http://forums.gotwoot.net/mess...6093&enterthread=y (http://forums.gotwoot.net/messageview.cfm?catid=28&threadid=16093&enterthrea d=y)

darkmetal505
Tue, 12-20-2005, 01:02 AM
^ yea read that thread^

(First check if your DVD player has a zoom out feature, if it does then just use that and forget about this whole thing) But I'll post my solution for you since I spent a week playing around. Go to google and search VirtualDubMod. Download and extract. You are also going to need Xvid codec (google that if you dont have it). Open Vdub and then open the video file (should be an avi). Under video make sure Full Processing mode is selected (unless you want to use AviSynth for which you can find guides on the Internet). Go to Video-->Filters-->Add-->Resize. Now each TV has a different amount of overscan so you are going to have to experiment with yours. The regular naruto episode is formatted for computer play back and it is 640 x 480. You want to keep the same proportions otherwise your video will look streched or skewed. In the resize dialog box click expand frame and letterbox image. Input Fram width at 640 and Frame height at 480 (you probably want the fill color to be black). Now the top is where you experiment. If you want 64 pixels less horizontally and 48 pixels less vertically, you would put 576 and 432, respectively. Change filter mode to Lanczos3 and click OK.

Now you have to save the video. Click File-->Save As (F7) and name your video file. Make sur video mode is full processing. Under compression find Xvid Mpeg 4 codec. Click configure. Re-encoding the file may take a while. I have a really crappy processor so it takes me near an hour to encode one episode. you have two options (based on time).

1) Single Pass (probably easier) - switch target bitrate to target quantizer and set it to about 3.75 and you will very close on quality and file size. (higher the target, larger the file, better quality). Click ok, then ok again. Then click save.

2) Two Pass (better quality) - under encoding type switch to two pass 1st pass. They way two pass works is that during the first pass it creates a file to compare against and during the 2nd pass it uses that file to figure the optimal bitrate for best quality. So click Ok, then Ok, then save. When 1st pass is done, go back to file save as and come to the Xvid configure and this time click two pass 2nd pass. Set the number of kilobytes you want for the file. A 175 Mb file would be around 179,200 kb. Click Ok, Ok, and then save.

Hope that helped

nests
Tue, 12-20-2005, 02:21 AM
Hey thank you very much darkmetal505 I had been looking for a solution for this for quite a while too

nine_tail
Tue, 12-20-2005, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the help. But when i set to compress it in XviD MPEG-4 Codec (XVID) it gives me an error " statsfile not found" then it says "operation not supported ( error code-1 )". But it worked earlier.
And what do i put to configure it? For the target kb and stuff.
thanks again.

darkmetal505
Wed, 12-21-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by: nine_tail
Thanks for the help. But when i set to compress it in XviD MPEG-4 Codec (XVID) it gives me an error " statsfile not found" then it says "operation not supported ( error code-1 )". But it worked earlier.
And what do i put to configure it? For the target kb and stuff.
thanks again.

ok, yea thats a common error, sorry for not mentioning it before. Im guessing your doing two pass? well when you do the 1st pass, it creates that stats file to compare for the 2nd pass. Now if you close vdub before going to the second pass, your going to have to know where that stats file is. During the first pass click more next to the encoding type. In this dialog box you can choose where to save your stats file. If you restarted vdub, click more when you are doing the second pass and it has a place where you can look for the stats file.

For target kb, 1024 kb = 1Mb. A regular anime file is 170-175 MB. So a 175 Mb file would be 175 x 1024 = 179,200 (if i did my math correctly).

if you need more help go to www.doom9.org (http://www.doom9.org) or www.videohelp.com (http://www.videohelp.com)

nine_tail
Wed, 12-21-2005, 01:09 PM
hey, I have one more question. Is it going to change how its going to look on a widescreen tv? Is it foing to strtch it out? Because don't want to put this on dvd and find out its going to look terrible if i buy widescreen tv eventually.
thanks again

Ero-Fan
Wed, 12-21-2005, 01:18 PM
hey, I have one more question. Is it going to change how its going to look on a widescreen tv? Is it foing to strtch it out? Because don't want to put this on dvd and find out its going to look terrible if i buy widescreen tv eventually.
thanks again

Most wide screen tvs have an option whether to stretch out the picture or put the black bars on the side (like reg tvs have on the bottom with wide screen pictures) so I don't think you have to worry.

darkmetal505
Wed, 12-21-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by: Ero-Fan

thanks again

Most wide screen tvs have an option whether to stretch out the picture or put the black bars on the side (like reg tvs have on the bottom with wide screen pictures) so I don't think you have to worry.

yea, putting it on a wide screen tv shouldnt mess it up if you are keeping the proportions on your video file the same.

nine_tail
Fri, 12-23-2005, 02:14 PM
I have another problem. It is not centered on my tv screen. How can I fix that?

darkmetal505
Sat, 12-31-2005, 04:38 PM
I have another problem. It is not centered on my tv screen. How can I fix that?

centered? I dont know. Try resizing the file. (not # of bytes, but the width and length)

Uzumaki Kakashi
Tue, 01-24-2006, 06:51 PM
about how many episodes of naruto fit onto a 4.3 gb dvd? does anybody have a guide on how to make a dvd. i am having some trouble finding what i need.

darkmetal505
Tue, 01-24-2006, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by: Uzumaki Kakashi
about how many episodes of naruto fit onto a 4.3 gb dvd? does anybody have a guide on how to make a dvd. i am having some trouble finding what i need.

are you trying to make a dvd format or just a data disc. If a data disc, then 25 episodes would fit. On a DVD, it depends, probably around 6 episodes or so.

For both, you are probably going to resize the avi's or convert them into a different format or something.

www.videohelp.com (http://www.videohelp.com)

you should ask there on how to make DVDs (there are a lot of programs)

or

doom9 (http://www.doom9.org)

xDarkMaster
Sat, 01-28-2006, 10:39 AM
I have a queston, if you were to put the episodes on this (http://www.g-technology.com/Products/G-PLAY.cfm), would it still be zoomed?

darkmetal505
Sat, 01-28-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by: xDarkMaster
I have a queston, if you were to put the episodes on this (http://www.g-technology.com/Products/G-PLAY.cfm), would it still be zoomed?

no there shouldnt be any overscan if you put it on that (im pretty sure, because its showing what is directly on the computer), however, if you just want to watch anime on your tv, and you have a s-video connection on both your computer/laptop and your tv, i suggest you get a s-video cable.

EDIT: i put there should be instead of shouldnt be

xDarkMaster
Sat, 01-28-2006, 05:32 PM
Thanks darkmetal but I'm looking for an external hard drive right now anyways so I might look into this...

UChessmaster
Fri, 02-03-2006, 06:38 PM
wow, i`ve never knew about that