PDA

View Full Version : so much pain

Cal_kashi
Fri, 12-09-2005, 05:28 AM
Im pretty sure I have food poisoning. The onset was IMMEDIATE, I've had a fever ranging between 101-103 for the last 36+ hrs, accompanied by a wicked headache, abdominal cramps, nasuea (no vomitting yet) and alot of diareah (sp?) i haven't left my bed since the onset. DOes anyone have a similar experience? WHat can I do? hpw long will this last? thanks
dave

Kraco
Fri, 12-09-2005, 06:06 AM
Damn. I have never even seen a food poisoning of that scale. Must have been quite rotten food you consumed. Immediate effect means there was plenty of bacterial toxins in the food when you ate it. If the stuff you ate was vacuum sealed (or canned) food (like some fish), that is, under anaerobic conditions, your situation is potentially much worse than with food that just has been standing on a table for too long. Some very common bacteria living in anaerobic conditions produce some of the most potent toxins known. Clostridium botulinum being an excellent example. It's very common in soil, yet the toxin is among the deadliest substances known (despite the fact cheerful women pump the toxin under their facial skin...). Well, obviously you didn't eat that toxin...

The immediate onset, however, suggest it's not listeriosis, caused by Listeria monocytogenes, although the symptoms might fit. With a significant mortality rate if untreated, listeriosis is one nasty customer. And avoiding this is not made easier by the fact that it can grow happily in the fridge temperature.

Yeah, I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune. "abdominal cramps, nausea and alot of diarrhea" sound very painful and nasty. Well, I don't really know anything useful about food poisonings; those cases I have had have been nothing compared to yours, and have been over in a day and a night.

Gambatte!

Cal_kashi
Fri, 12-09-2005, 06:26 AM
im certain that I got it from a place called high tech burrito (supposedly gourmet burritos) just from the way i get a little sicker every time i think of the place. Is a 6 hr onset unusual? ... sorry that i didn't clarify what i meant by immediate.

KoKo37
Fri, 12-09-2005, 06:37 AM
personly never eat meat from fast food places lol, yes i know it sucks XD, well i got lil food poisoning from burger king ( stupid whopper wensday no wonder its so cheap they use the old meat -.- lol ), and from mc donalds salad teh 1 with grilled chicken in it XD ( probally they purposely made it bad cause i used a coupon from a cerial box -.- damn filthy mc nastys lol ) n i got a lil from teen burgers at A & W, however it was nothing serious it was just like a tiny bit of food poisoning but man thats gotta suck for you o.O, ne wayz never eat meat from a fast food place, go to decent retuarants, n over cook your meat XD. ( Not to the point its dry or burnt but you know just a lil bit). Anyways hope u get better soon XD

G0$u /.\/0t3 :oh yah, i also got food poisoning a lil worse from a bbq at my friends house, The chicken was blackend ( didn't taste burnt at all just looked like it, so il call it blackend -.- lol ) n it tasted ub3r good n was juicy, course no one else got food poisoning but i got the 1 Peice (OMG!) that was -.- lol, but it was a good bbq, so i guess they cancel each other out -.- lol

Ub3r 3])iT : also i get migrane ( cant spell -.- lol ) headakes once in a while like bad ones lol, so i know how much they can suck -,- lol, anyways this edit doesn't help u at all, jus felt like saying it >: ( lol

Carnage
Fri, 12-09-2005, 06:40 AM
Of course, if it gets really bad, you can go see a doctor. Or have one come see you. My advice, you shouldnt ave been eating at a place called "high tech burrito". The only high tech part about it is that it gives you worse food poisening even faster!i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif Seriously, if it gets out of control, just call a doctor.

Kraco
Fri, 12-09-2005, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by: Cal_kashi
im certain that I got it from a place called high tech burrito (supposedly gourmet burritos) just from the way i get a little sicker every time i think of the place. Is a 6 hr onset unusual? ... sorry that i didn't clarify what i meant by immediate.

6 hours likely means it was an infection, with a hefty amount of bacteria (the more bacteria you get, the quicker the symptoms appear, to a certain degree, obviously. And likewise if there aren't enough bacteria (depending on the bacterium species), you don't get sick. That can be measured even statistically). Your symptoms sound quite severe, so if you don't start to get any better within a day, it might be wise to seek proper medical help (anime forum might not qualify).

I don't know if 6 hours quite fall within the typical onset time of listeriosis, but unless you don't want to gamble with your very life, it might be wise to seek help if the symptoms continue for a while longer.

Winged Dancer
Fri, 12-09-2005, 09:47 AM
Damn, it seems that all food-poisoning cases come from tacos and burritos.

I had a similar case a few years ago, only with much vomiting along with the dhiarrea.

My recommendations -

First of all, don't stop the vomit. If you feel like you might throw up run to the toilet and do so. It's for the best, believe me. If you _can't_ throw up and still feel like shit you should consider forcing yourself a little - with that I don't mean putting your fingers down your throat, just squeeze your stomach to see if that causes some nausea.

Second, drink a lot of liquids, you'll need them after the dhiarrea. Apple soda and the like are the best 'cause they have sugar, and try to shake them or something so you don't drink as much gas.

If you feel hungry eat some toast with a little bit of ham, even if you're feeling nausea you should be able to get it down because toast calms nausea down. Apples are also good 'cause they aren't very iritating.

Also, seek a doctor! We can't very well recommend you any pills =P

Giboc
Fri, 12-09-2005, 12:12 PM
36+ hours is a bit long for food poisoning... Well at least if the symptoms haven't gone down at all. Just go see a doctor. If you're too sick, call up a friend and ask him to get a doctor or something. Better safe than sorry. And you never know, the doc might give you something to alleviate the discomforts.

But in the mean time, drink plenty of fluids, and take some fever reducer. Tylenol or whatever. Anything with acetominophen should do. That'll at least get rid of the fever.

But yeah, if you're well enough to post on the forums, you're well enough to go see a doctor i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Winged Dancer
Fri, 12-09-2005, 12:34 PM
Actually, according to m experience (and you don't want to experience my experience) food poisoning can take up to four days to develop fully.

But then again I?m no doctor and I'm not interested in being one. Find a doctor and may he tell you what the hell is wrong with you.

Assertn
Fri, 12-09-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by: KoKo37
never eat meat from a fast food place, go to decent retuarants, n over cook your meat XD

My friend got food poisoning from eating at Schwabs, a supposedly well-known hollywood restaurant.
Don't assume that eating at decent restaurants over fast food will solve your problems.

Giboc
Fri, 12-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by: Winged Dancer
Actually, according to m experience (and you don't want to experience my experience) food poisoning can take up to four days to develop fully.

What do you mean develop fully? For symptoms to show up? Or do you mean for it to clear up?

Strike Freedom
Fri, 12-09-2005, 01:46 PM
Are you sure you have food poisoning, it might be a viral flu. Why? My brother went through exactly the same symptoms, at first we thought it was food poisoning but the doctor said it was a flu. You should seek medical attention of the fever persists. Hope you get better and drink lots of fluids.

Cal_kashi
Fri, 12-09-2005, 11:54 PM
Yeah, I was taliking to the University Health Services advise nurse and she asked my what was going on and I said, then she said that I had to go into the Tang center asap, which sucked but I did anyways. There, they decided that I was fairly severly dehydrated, which came as a surprise to me, so they gave me 2 liters of IV fluids, then sent me upon my merry way after doing a blood test and a urine test, to make sure there was nothing serious wrong. Then... within an hour of my fever breaking my 17in CRT monitor broke, Fuck seriosuly, but I was able to buy a replacement off craigs list for $50, just talk about adding insult to injury, fuck.

darkmetal505
Sat, 12-10-2005, 12:10 AM
rest, and drink lots of fluids. Flush the toxins outta the body.

Winged Dancer
Sat, 12-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by: Giboc

Originally posted by: Winged Dancer

What do you mean develop fully? For symptoms to show up? Or do you mean for it to clear up?

To show the first syntoms even, according to my dotor. That's what happened to me - ate some bad sausages one day and about two days later I started to feel bad, at the third my skin was covered with little, uh, you know, red dots (can't remember the word in english) and started with diharrea and vomit. I kept trying to think what had I eaten recently and then discovered it had been the sausages.

It depends of each organism, I guess. But my stomach hasn't been the same since.

Cal_kashi
Sat, 12-10-2005, 05:16 PM
you looking for the word welts?
How did you determine that it was the sausage? Just becuase it was the only suspect thing in the past four days, or that it was teh only suspect thing that would have resulted in the particular symptoms that you exhibited? Im certain of my burrito because the days prior consist only of top ramen and pasta (pretty hard to fuck up). These abdominal cramps don't seem to be decreasing, so for the time being im still pretty much bed ridden. and finals are in 6 days. Fuck.

mr3vi1m0nk3y
Sat, 12-10-2005, 05:27 PM
that sucks. my family got food poisoning once and everyone was stuck in bed for a couple days. definatly not a good time

Winged Dancer
Sat, 12-10-2005, 07:53 PM
I determined it was it after much thinking - I had basically shared my meals with my entire family lately and ate only cereal bars at school. The only thing I had eaten "on my own" was sausage and I remebered they had tasted a bit funny - but being the idiot I was ate them anyway. Also, I felt like throwing up whenever I thought of sausage.