PDA

View Full Version : Donnie Darko

basey44
Wed, 12-07-2005, 08:17 PM
this movie was on tv last night, and i was wondering who else has seen it, because i have a few questions

basically its about a guy who is not quite normal in the head, like he has therapy and medication and stuff, and after a narrow escape with death which involves a jet engine falling into his bedroom, he starts to believe in time travel, and has frequent visits from a man from the future dressed in a giant bunny rabbit costume. if i say anymore ill kinda be spoiling

the official site (http://www.donniedarko.com/)

imdb site (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0246578/)

ill edit in my questions in a minute

omg i finally understand the end of the movie now, after looking on the official site there was a count down saying how long ago the tangent universe ended, silly me

el_boss
Wed, 12-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Seen this movie several times and it is one of my favourites. I don't know why but I have always been facinated by the philosophical aspect of time travel. I'm not saying that it has the deepest theory about time travel, but it's tehre and it's interesting. Disregarding the time travel this is still an awesome movie. With great characters and plot and really wierd humor. I suggest everyone watch this movie.

Trivia: The main characters sister in the movie is his real sister, I think. They have the same last name anyway.

basey44
Wed, 12-07-2005, 08:38 PM
the time travel thing is good too though, because it doesnt contradict itself and you dont end up in an endless loop, like say you travel in time and change something, well that now that new thing would be normal and you wouldnt have time travelled to change it, this film has none of that. Rather you can only see the future on "God's path" you can see whats going to happen but you cant change any of it because you are bound to a path set before you.

el_boss
Wed, 12-07-2005, 08:55 PM
I really hate it when they don't think about the "grandfather paradox" when they have time travel in movies.

A wierd thing though is in the scene when he finds the gun, he first sees the "arrow" then he gets up to follow it. If he hadn't seen the arrow he wouldn't have found the gun. That shows further that there is a predetermined path and that there is no real free will. It's been a while since I saw the movie last time so I might have forgotten some of the details.

Another awesome movie about time travel is "Primer".

darkmetal505
Wed, 12-07-2005, 09:21 PM
this movie was good, the time travel stuff was cool

basey44
Wed, 12-07-2005, 09:28 PM
i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif i just wish i understood what Frank was and how he came to be around Donnie, i just cant make snese of it

mr3vi1m0nk3y
Wed, 12-07-2005, 09:53 PM
this movie was such a mind fuck when i first watched it, i had to see it a few more times to really get some of the issues down.

el_boss
Thu, 12-08-2005, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by: basey44
i just wish i understood what Frank was and how he came to be around Donnie, i just cant make snese of it
I don't either get the significance of the Frank character. But he's the guy that ran Gretchen over and got shot in the eye by Donnie. Maybe it has something to do with Donnie ending Frank's universe or something like that.

Assassin
Thu, 12-08-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by: el_boss
Another awesome movie about time travel is "Primer".

i watched primer today. i dont know what the fuck is going on. its full of wierd time paradoxes.

el_boss
Thu, 12-08-2005, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by: Assassin
i watched primer today. i dont know what the fuck is going on. its full of wierd time paradoxes.
That's the beauty of it. You just don't know what the fuck is going on. It's one of those movies you have to watch a couple of times.

darkmetal505
Thu, 12-08-2005, 10:46 PM

That's the beauty of it. You just don't know what the fuck is going on. It's one of those movies you have to watch a couple of times.

yea it was difficult to grasp at first. You have to try to figure out the way his mind works.

Uchiha Barles
Fri, 12-09-2005, 10:27 PM
Can anyone explain what the site is about? It seems to be some kind of huge puzzle.

KoKo37
Fri, 12-09-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by: Uchiha Barles
Can anyone explain what the site is about? It seems to be some kind of huge puzzle.

lol i jus went to the offical site to check about the movie, and its like a retarded game -.- lol, neways i never watched teh movie yet, and since im an idiot and this movies confusing il doubght il even understand a part of it -.- lol, though its gettin good reviews ehre so i guess il watch it o.O lol

Assassin
Fri, 12-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by: darkmetal505

yea it was difficult to grasp at first. You have to try to figure out the way his mind works.

i'd rather someone just told me how his mind works

darkmetal505
Sat, 12-10-2005, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by: darkmetal505

i'd rather someone just told me how his mind works

theres always some deeper underlying meaning. I like movies like this that bring up knowledge based questions such as Memento, Contact, The Matrix, Dark City, etc.

basey44
Sat, 12-10-2005, 09:10 PM
ok i just saw the directors cut, and it really shed some light onto a lot of things. but there is still one thing i dont understand, tha tangent universe was created when time became corrupted, so when the engine travelled back through time, however at the end, back in the real universe the engine still falls into donnie darko's room, doesnt this mean that time is corrupted, also the plane crashed because of what happened in the sky when the tangent universe ended, so in the real universe which would continue normally, the plance shouldnt crash and the engine shouldnt be sent back in time. everyone following me?

the first indicator that time is corrupt is the appearance of an artifact (the jet engine) and a living reciever (donnie darko) is chosen to try to make sure that man continues to live on in hte real universe, the living reciever suffers horrible nightmares and hallucinations, and can visulise the 4th dimension. So at the end, is it another tangent universe with a different living reciever, or is it the main universe?