PDA

View Full Version : It's so goddamn overrated

Terracosmo
Sun, 12-04-2005, 11:16 PM
State something which you find to be overrated and why. I'll start.

1. Jack Sparrow. SHUT UP ABOUT JACK SPARROW. He was funny and MADE the damn Pirates of the Caribbean, I KNOW. But seriously... SHUT UP ABOUT JACK SPARROW. I can't take it anymore. All these goddamn women running around screaming about him, he looks like a fucking bum, it's just because everything that Depp does is hailed by a myriad of lonely women ranging from the ages of 12 to 54.

Are pirates sexy? No, they wear the same clothes every day (i.e they stink) and look like crap, but when Depp is one... then yes!

Is eyeliner really really hot on men? Some women say yes, but most of them say no. The nay sayers say YES!! when they see Jhonny Sparrow.

List goes on.

SHUT UP ABOUT JACK SPARROW!!!

2. Nightmare Before Christmas

OOOOOOOH THIS MOVIE IS SO DARK AND GOTHIC BECAUSE TIM BURTON MADE IT AND THERE ARE LIKE DOLLS AND STUFF IN IT

Spare me. Next 14 year old goth wannabe who says that this movie is "brilliant" (sounds more like "blillriant" though because wannabe goths can't speak - you see they have these fake teeth in their mouths all the time) will die a gruesome death by the hands of an exploding pumpkin. HOW'S THAT FOR HALLOWEEN?

3. Tim Burton

See 2. Granted, some of his movies are great but... SHUT UP ABOUT TIM BURTON!!

Board of Command
Sun, 12-04-2005, 11:33 PM
Angelina Jolie. I personally don't find her hot.

Assertn
Sun, 12-04-2005, 11:45 PM
Playstation: Bah, all it is is marketing bundled with emo games.

Uchiha Barles
Sun, 12-04-2005, 11:46 PM
Franz Ferdinand. Goddamn twangy guitars make my dick soft.

XanBcoo
Mon, 12-05-2005, 12:12 AM
Asian girls - Honestly I don't see the attraction that most guys constantly blather on about. Some are cute, just like a lot of girls. So stop telling me asian women are so hot, male population. I don't care!

Edited: The same thing goes for blondes.

Lefty
Mon, 12-05-2005, 12:35 AM
Star Wars: I like the first three when I was a kid when I didn't understand waht good cinema was. But with the rerelease back in the late ninties and the new trilogy I found it lacking, good acting, a plot beyond the lets beat the bad guys, and incest.

darkmetal505
Mon, 12-05-2005, 12:45 AM
DAMN ANIME IS OVERRATED! i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Honoko
Mon, 12-05-2005, 01:10 AM
Million Dollar Baby-- take away the star-studded cast and you have one seriously crappy storyline that isn't worth a single oscar. and speaking of which...

Academy Awards-- stupid old cronies who'd prefer to vote to make a political statement as opposed to actual artistic merit. not the mention the award show itself. i can't watch it anymore b/c it's now more about what the heck so-and-so is wearing instead of arguing over how good a movie actually is.

Xollence
Mon, 12-05-2005, 01:11 AM
Michael Moore and his movies.

LaZie
Mon, 12-05-2005, 01:29 AM
Male private parts are overrated.

6Zabuza9
Mon, 12-05-2005, 01:39 AM
xbox 360

ChiaCheese
Mon, 12-05-2005, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by: Honoko
Million Dollar Baby-- take away the star-studded cast and you have one seriously crappy storyline that isn't worth a single oscar. and speaking of which...

Academy Awards-- stupid old cronies who'd prefer to vote to make a political statement as opposed to actual artistic merit. not the mention the award show itself. i can't watch it anymore b/c it's now more about what the heck so-and-so is wearing instead of arguing over how good a movie actually is.

thank you!!

el_boss
Mon, 12-05-2005, 05:25 AM
Jennifer Lopez
Ben Affleck
Halley Berry
Poker
The Halo games
Having a job
Reading books

Carnage
Mon, 12-05-2005, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by: Terracosmo
State something which you find to be overrated and why. I'll start.

1. Jack Sparrow. SHUT UP ABOUT JACK SPARROW. He was funny and MADE the damn Pirates of the Caribbean, I KNOW. But seriously... SHUT UP ABOUT JACK SPARROW. I can't take it anymore. All these goddamn women running around screaming about him, he looks like a fucking bum, it's just because everything that Depp does is hailed by a myriad of lonely women ranging from the ages of 12 to 54.

Are pirates sexy? No, they wear the same clothes every day (i.e they stink) and look like crap, but when Depp is one... then yes!

Is eyeliner really really hot on men? Some women say yes, but most of them say no. The nay sayers say YES!! when they see Jhonny Sparrow.

List goes on.

SHUT UP ABOUT JACK SPARROW!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What about the people from Onepiece?i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Nightmare Before Christmas

OOOOOOOH THIS MOVIE IS SO DARK AND GOTHIC BECAUSE TIM BURTON MADE IT AND THERE ARE LIKE DOLLS AND STUFF IN IT

Spare me. Next 14 year old goth wannabe who says that this movie is "brilliant" (sounds more like "blillriant" though because wannabe goths can't speak - you see they have these fake teeth in their mouths all the time) will die a gruesome death by the hands of an exploding pumpkin. HOW'S THAT FOR HALLOWEEN?

3. Tim Burton

See 2. Granted, some of his movies are great but... SHUT UP ABOUT TIM BURTON!!

Who the hell says the Nightmare Before Christmas was Brilliant? It was fun (for when i was like 4), but ive never heard anyone say it was brilliant.

As for me......

People are overrated. People suck. Luck at the world around us. Take a few seconds and actually do that. K. We're all blaming eachother for bad shit that others start because of us (not speaking about anyone specifically). Were not kind, loving cratures. We're not evil either. We're all dumb. Hell, not just the people causing trouble, but the people who think theyre gonna make the world a happy place w/ out wars and shit. That aint happening. People suck.

Knives122
Mon, 12-05-2005, 09:03 AM
Batman: Everyone always says "Oh he's the greatest superhero ever, he can beat the crap out of every superhero". Shut up. He's just some crybaby in a suit and if you just took a group of people with guns and cornered him he'd be dead.

And then when the new movie came out all the little fanboys and other people just started swooning over him, go get a life people i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

ES
Mon, 12-05-2005, 09:22 AM
griping i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

PSJ
Mon, 12-05-2005, 09:54 AM
Planning
Planning more than 3 days ahead is the most overrated thing ever. Seriously, when someone decides to become lets say a cop when they are 5 i can't help but to think "fucking idiot".

Star Trek.
Star Trek is probably the most overrated shit you can find.

Potatoe Chips
This shit really sucks, they don't even taste good. What are you eating them for?

The Music Industry
They pump out as much bullshit as they can and people blame downloading for the high prices and low sales. Get a grip.

Alot of other stupid shit
There are so much overrated things out there that it would take a life time to write them all down.

The word overrated however is very underrated in my opinion, i use it all the time.

masamuneehs
Mon, 12-05-2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by: XanBcoo
Asian girls - Honestly I don't see the attraction that most guys constantly blather on about. Some are cute, just like a lot of girls. So stop telling me asian women are so hot, male population. I don't care!

Disagree. If anything, blondes are overrated.

Guiness is also overrated. Tastes like a bread stew almost.

Nai
Mon, 12-05-2005, 11:02 AM
Some of my bound to be very unpopular opinions...

Final Fantasy VII

The movie was at least pretty. Too bad the game wasn't

... And then we have all the mindless Sephiroth (http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/index.php/Sephiroth) fangirls, don't even get me started about them.

Halo

Oh look, yet another mediocre console FPS. Just get a decent computer so you can actually experience a real FPS for a change.

World of WarCraft

Decent. Not great nor revolutionary

Sora

Everything about Sora just sucks. The voice actor, the personality, the hairstyle, the clothes, the freakin' shoes! I could go on and on. Am I the only one who seriously thinks Riku should have been the lead? Sora just annoys the hell out of me.

Idol

Swedish version of American idol. This show represents everything I hate about the music industry.

XanBcoo
Mon, 12-05-2005, 12:15 PM
Wearing pants is overrated.

aznimperialx
Mon, 12-05-2005, 03:27 PM
the FF7 movie was overrating, the fucking plot sucked balls, yet many fagboys say the movie was good because of the grahpics

Bums are overrated,
They are fucking lazy, Don't give any of them money, they can get a job, they just rather beg...fucking hobos...

New SuperHero movies
SHUT UP ABOUT SUPERMAN, BATMAN, FANTASTIC 4, and all those other Craps. LET IT DIE!

thats all i can think for now

Board of Command
Mon, 12-05-2005, 03:37 PM

Thank you, can't believe I forgot to mention my hatred towards the Academy. Eternal Sunshine deserved the 2004 Oscar. Hell, a bunch of movies that year deserved it much more than Million Dollar Baby. And this happens year after year after year, it's pathetic.

Dezalanel
Mon, 12-05-2005, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by: Nai
Some of my bound to be very unpopular opinions...

Final Fantasy VII

The movie was at least pretty. Too bad the game wasn't

... And then we have all the mindless Sephiroth (http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/index.php/Sephiroth) fangirls, don't even get me started about them.

Halo

Oh look, yet another mediocre console FPS. Just get a decent computer so you can actually experience a real FPS for a change.

World of WarCraft

Decent. Not great nor revolutionary

Sora

Everything about Sora just sucks. The voice actor, the personality, the hairstyle, the clothes, the freakin' shoes! I could go on and on. Am I the only one who seriously thinks Riku should have been the lead? Sora just annoys the hell out of me.

Idol

Swedish version of American idol. This show represents everything I hate about the music industry.

Wow definitly unpopular with me at least. I disagree with everything except Idol since I hate that in America as well.

Final Fantasy 7. What do you mean by pretty? Graphics? If so thats a shallow thing to base a game off of. I happen to like FF7 because of its story and characters. All of which are very memorable.

Halo. Halo is a lot of fun imho. I happen to think PC shooters are over rated. I hate them, the only one I like is Half Life. I still prefer Halo since I hate playing an FPS with a keyboard. But whatever this is something a console gamer and PC gamer will never agree on.

WoW. It is not the best game ever but it is definitly the best MMORPG I think.

Sora- Let me guess you hate Naruto and think Sasuke should be the main character in the Naruto Anime? I am assuming you are the kind of person that likes all the "cool" anti-heroes in games/shows. Still I do not see how you can see Sora as overrated if anything Riku is overrated I see way more people that like Riku than Sora.

Aeon
Mon, 12-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Bleach~~I'll never understand why so many people are so in love with this show, it's mediocre at best. The main plot is over done(must save the damsel in distress) and the main character is beyond over powered. I will admit it does have some cool characters but they are just built up for Ichigo to beat up on. I'm still waiting to see this anime produce one good fight. One more thing, it building up a lot of fights and then not delivering on them was the most asinine thing I've seen in anime.

Kingdom Hearts~~Let me start by saying that it was a good game, but after I played it once I never touched it again. It seemed like any other hack-n-slash game to me(yes I know it's an rpg). I agree with Nai that it would've been more interesting if Riku was the main character.

Carnage
Mon, 12-05-2005, 05:47 PM
[quote]
Originally posted by: Aeon
Bleach~~I'll never understand why so many people are so in love with this show, it's mediocre at best. The main plot is over done(must save the damsel in distress) and the main character is beyond over powered. I will admit it does have some cool characters but they are just built up for Ichigo to beat up on. I'm still waiting to see this anime produce one good fight. One more thing, it building up a lot of fights and then not delivering on them was the most asinine thing I've seen in anime.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you friggin kidding me? Bleach is definatly one of the best animes out there. Theres like 5 bigillion suprises, like 50 badass characters (kenpachi, Zangetsu, Yamaji, etc.), a great story ( Save the midget!), a horny teddy bear, and ..................................

THE VALLEY OF THE GODS!!!!!

PSJ
Mon, 12-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by: masamuneehs

I disagree with that. Blondes are great, Asian chicks however are overrated. I have yet to see one asian chick that is extremly hot, the ones i have seen that have been posted in hot babes threads and shit like that are decent looking at best. Sure there are alot of ugly blondes to but at least some blondes are hot, where do you find these "hot" asian chicks everybody talks about? Give me proof!!!

6Zabuza9
Mon, 12-05-2005, 06:15 PM
it all depends on taste. some men might think obese ulgy fat chicks are hot

Assertn
Mon, 12-05-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by: God#2
[quote]
Originally posted by: Aeon
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you friggin kidding me? Bleach is definatly one of the best animes out there. Theres like 5 bigillion suprises, like 50 badass characters (kenpachi, Zangetsu, Yamaji, etc.), a great story ( Save the midget!), a horny teddy bear, and ..................................

THE VALLEY OF THE GODS!!!!!
You're basically perpetuating Aeon's claim about bleach being overrated by using a line like "Bleach is one of the best animes"

Terracosmo
Mon, 12-05-2005, 06:23 PM
It's amazing how people waste time to reply to people in this thread, since it's obviously a matter of taste. You might as well ask a wall to move.

Note also that "overrated" doesn't necessarily mean "bad".

Koyuki
Mon, 12-05-2005, 06:26 PM
You know what grinds my gear people? CSI, jesus this show is overrated! It's somewhat enjoyable, but when it gets ultra realistic, it just sux! And what is this making CSI, Miami, New York...?
Another thing that grinds my gear is celebs. Just look at all the hot chicks, just struddling around in their little outfits? They make me want too hump them >.<

Just look here
http://afixe.weblog.com.pt/arquivo/Lindsay%20Lohan-thumb.JPG

And that people is what grinds my gear.

el_boss
Mon, 12-05-2005, 06:57 PM
It's amazing how people waste time to reply to people in this thread, since it's obviously a matter of taste. You might as well ask a wall to move.

Note also that "overrated" doesn't necessarily mean "bad".
^this post is overrated i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Phoenix20578
Mon, 12-05-2005, 07:25 PM
50 Cent. Yes the rapper.

HE IS SO OVERRATED!
Holy crap, how many things does this guy have to do!? Fine, he has some good music, I'll give him that,
BUT THATS IT! I'm sick and tired of hearing, "Oh he's so hard" and, "He used to be a fucking pimp", and
worst of all, "Oh shit, he got shot son"

NO ONE GIVES A FUCK ANYMORE!!!!

Fine he got shot. Wooptie-freaking-do. Join the club with the other 5 million people who got shot. That doesn't
mean your fucking God and need everything from lunchboxes to a Grand Theft Auto rip-off.

GET OVER YOURSELF!!!!

Carnage
Mon, 12-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by: Phoenix20578
50 Cent. Yes the rapper.

HE IS SO OVERRATED!
Holy crap, how many things does this guy have to do!? Fine, he has some good music, I'll give him that,
BUT THATS IT! I'm sick and tired of hearing, "Oh he's so hard" and, "He used to be a fucking pimp", and
worst of all, "Oh shit, he got shot son"

NO ONE GIVES A FUCK ANYMORE!!!!

Fine he got shot. Wooptie-freaking-do. Join the club with the other 5 million people who got shot. That doesn't
mean your fucking God and need everything from lunchboxes to a Grand Theft Auto rip-off.

GET OVER YOURSELF!!!!

its a darn thing he didnt die.i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

@Terra: I guess your right. But its still fun to talk about the Valley of the godsi/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

masamuneehs
Mon, 12-05-2005, 08:31 PM
Reality TV

It is not real. It is editted (perhaps scripted, in some sense) and the people are almost always the exception to normalness. The fact that people watch something with no plot (despite occasionally stumbling on cool or flashy premises for the show) about people they'll probably never meet mortifies me.

darkmetal505
Mon, 12-05-2005, 08:54 PM
laguana beach and OC are overrated and other stuff like that

ChaosK
Mon, 12-05-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by: PSJ

I disagree with that. Blondes are great, Asian chicks however are overrated. I have yet to see one asian chick that is extremly hot, the ones i have seen that have been posted in hot babes threads and shit like that are decent looking at best. Sure there are alot of ugly blondes to but at least some blondes are hot, where do you find these "hot" asian chicks everybody talks about? Give me proof!!!

google? lol.

and terra to ur first post of the thread (dont wanna quote it which would make this post too long but) you seem to not like johnny depp loool. is it because he steals ur chicks?

XanBcoo
Mon, 12-05-2005, 09:37 PM
I don't think the point of this thread is to contest what other people think is overrated (again, overrated does not = bad). Just list something.

I think (and NO ONE will argue with me here...) Paris Hilton is overrated. It's a wonder to me why this stupid, lazy-eyed, lazy-assed, slutty blonde is famous. Stupid whore really pisses me off.

Terracosmo
Mon, 12-05-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by: Chaoskiddo

google? lol.

and terra to ur first post of the thread (dont wanna quote it which would make this post too long but) you seem to not like johnny depp loool. is it because he steals ur chicks?

Johnny Depp is a good actor and I enjoy most of his roles, what I hate is when people worship the ground he steps on just because he happens to look good. He wouldn't be half as famous if he was 10 years older and out of shape. Fact.

And well, if a chick becomes so infatuated with a guy she's never gonna meet, then that girl is not worthy of my presence anyway. So technically, he can't steal any dames from me i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Honoko
Tue, 12-06-2005, 12:20 AM
wow, i'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks million dollar baby was hugely overrated. i watched it after it won the award so you can imagine the big "wtf" that was running through my head at the end of the movie =P and the "wtf" was in a bad way.

another thing that's overrated: college, in terms of education in the US, at least. 30 years ago a college degree could actually land you a job. today, we go party our asses off, and then come back home four years later broke and still unemployed. oh wait, is that applicable only to the class who graduated in '02 right after 9/11? or is it still true today? there was this weird rumor that the economy was getting better....

masamuneehs
Tue, 12-06-2005, 12:52 AM
another thing that's overrated: college, in terms of education in the US, at least. 30 years ago a college degree could actually land you a job. today, we go party our asses off, and then come back home four years later broke and still unemployed. oh wait, is that applicable only to the class who graduated in '02 right after 9/11? or is it still true today? there was this weird rumor that the economy was getting better....

its the effort you put forward in college that'll decide whether or not the college education was worth the incredible price. That and some people are still quite impressed by "big name" schools. I go to an Ivy and people who hear that automatically think I'm smart or something along those lines. And I'm no fool, but I'm hardly a genius... smart is actually pushing it...

the competition is going up. other countries getting the skills needed to take the old jobs that College grads would get, older people staying in the workforce longer, filling the needed roles. And then, yeah you have 9/11 and the horrible economic breakdown afterwards... Things aren't horrible now, but still not to where they were before.

And who says they didn't party their asses off back in the 80s, 90s and so on? The alumni who come back to my house always have stories that blow my shit clear out of the water (or is that exaggeration?), not to mention the crazy drugg 60s and 70s...

Another thing that's overrated: Bottled water, especially that high priced Fiji water and all those. It fucking comes for free from the tap (if you're lucky enough to live in a good region) and there's water fountains in just about every facility you'll ever be in. You're wasting your money, if you ask me.

Also overrated: Corona. That beer actually doesn't taste that great. Anything you need to add an extra ingredient to cannot be considered that great of a product... Dos Equis is, well twice as good, as Corona, and so much cheaper. Honestly, people just drink Corona so people who see them are like "Ooh, that person has a Corona, how classy/up-scale!" (And their marketing guys are fucking incredible)

ChiaCheese
Tue, 12-06-2005, 03:25 AM
wow, i'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks million dollar baby was hugely overrated. i watched it after it won the award so you can imagine the big "wtf" that was running through my head at the end of the movie =P and the "wtf" was in a bad way.

shit, i graduated from college just over a year ago and i still haven't gotten a real job in my desired field. it fucking sucks. i hate working "college jobs" and doing freelance crap.

Assertn
Tue, 12-06-2005, 03:30 AM
Hey, you guys have no right complaining about jobs when you haven't even bothered to contribute to this thread:
http://forums.gotwoot.net/mess...6891&enterthread=y (http://forums.gotwoot.net/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=16891&enterthrea d=y)

Koyuki
Tue, 12-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Don't think you people can help me, cause I live in Norway. One of the reasons I haven't posted there.

kaosoner
Wed, 12-07-2005, 10:27 PM
the most overrated thing to me is......... everything. everything sucks. another thing that is overrated is the internet. wer all doin tha same thing evryday (EX: lookin for porn, pictures, e mailing your little girl friends, ect.). yadaimean.

ChaosK
Wed, 12-07-2005, 10:33 PM
people are overrated....honesty the world is made of more idiots than anything else.

Zinobi
Wed, 12-07-2005, 10:59 PM

As for me......

People are overrated. People suck. Luck at the world around us. Take a few seconds and actually do that. K. We're all blaming eachother for bad shit that others start because of us (not speaking about anyone specifically). Were not kind, loving cratures. We're not evil either. We're all dumb. Hell, not just the people causing trouble, but the people who think theyre gonna make the world a happy place w/ out wars and shit. That aint happening. People suck.

thank you

birthdays are overrated, why? lets see, one year of your life has gone by....wowi/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif.......and now you must celebrate i dont know why. i hate birthdays you usually have to buy presents, FUCKING BUY using your hard earned or lucky in finding money. Example: my mom got pissed cuz my dad came home at 8 pm on my birthday 4 days ago, my mom thinks i cried in my room when i was listenong to music and checking the forums. honestly, i could of cared less about my dad coming home at 8, my mom doesnt get that.

XanBcoo
Wed, 12-07-2005, 11:20 PM
^^^^^ I thnk domestic problems are overrated.

Honoko
Thu, 12-08-2005, 12:43 AM
iPods.

KoKo37
Thu, 12-08-2005, 01:11 AM
I don't think the point of this thread is to contest what other people think is overrated (again, overrated does not = bad). Just list something.

I think (and NO ONE will argue with me here...) Paris Hilton is overrated. It's a wonder to me why this stupid, lazy-eyed, lazy-assed, slutty blonde is famous. Stupid whore really pisses me off.

ok thank you lol, paris hilton is so dam annoying lol, she not funny, nor do i even think shes attactive -.- lol ( not ugly, though not hot -.- lol )

neways i suppose waht i think is overrated is mc donalds french fries.. lol, i mean there good n all but there so skinny and compared to crispy spicy seasond wedge fries, filthy mc nastys fries suck -.- lol ( not to mention there extremely fattning -.- lol ) but there usally salty ( if not i just add some salt -.-... im a salt freak lol ) and there not bad so i enjoy them, but still There not the worlds best fries -.- lol

Assertn
Thu, 12-08-2005, 01:56 AM
iPods.

That would be true, if they weren't so tremendously useful

Terracosmo
Thu, 12-08-2005, 02:55 AM
Yeah, one can't live without Yet Another Sound Recording Device Thingy #2982429 aka iPod

Assertn
Thu, 12-08-2005, 03:10 AM
I don't expect you to comprehend the practicality without seeing with your own eyes how well it works when combined with itunes.
It was enough to make me consider buying a mac.......

Carnage
Thu, 12-08-2005, 06:50 AM
No, Ipods are so overrated. Theyre coming out with smaller and smaller versions like every 3 months. Nobodys even gonna be able to buy all the new Music recorders and shit like that. Besides, if you cant find something to do outside of your house without listening to music, well then i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif

Edit: @koasoner: What about anime? Don't you think its UNDERATED????

el_boss
Thu, 12-08-2005, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure
I don't expect you to comprehend the practicality without seeing with your own eyes how well it works when combined with itunes.
You are aware that itunes works on PCs to right?

Munsu
Thu, 12-08-2005, 07:48 AM
It's not iPod that is overrated, it's that shitty program iTunes that is overrated... Couple more practical programs out there to accomplish what you need instead of that crappy program... Anapod Explorer to name one...

Honoko
Thu, 12-08-2005, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure

what, the fact that the mac's OS platform is unix-based wasn't enticing enough for you to switch over? i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

EpyonNext
Thu, 12-08-2005, 09:14 AM
Drinking is overrated.
It looses it's glamor after you reach 21.

Assertn
Thu, 12-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Besides, if you cant find something to do outside of your house without listening to music, well then

I walk 15 minutes to work each way.
I walk 25 minutes to my friend's house each way.

I find uses for listening to music along the way.
You'd be surprised how many people in LA walk around with Ipods.

Yes I'm aware Itunes is for PC too, I have it. And the main reason i like Itunes is because it's the most efficient sorting tool i've ever seen. I just drop in folders and folders of cluttered mp3s scattered around my hard drive, and it sorts them all into one convenient location/sub-folder structure system. Even updates them on-the-fly as I edit their tags, and you can drag and drop album covers right off the web.

I just love how macs handle media in general. I'm also a big fan of the expose.
However, macs tend to choke super hard on flash swfs, which unfortunately is what I create for a living.

Edit: Oh yeah, also can be hooked up in your car or your office computer. It's nice to be able to bring 60 gigs of music to somewhere for 8 hours a day.

Winged Dancer
Thu, 12-08-2005, 03:42 PM
And well, if a chick becomes so infatuated with a guy she's never gonna meet, then that girl is not worthy of my presence anyway. So technically, he can't steal any dames from me

....shut up!!!!!!!
And no I'm not infatuated with Johnny Depp!! Nor with any guy who might as well have been a porn star.

Overrated....

Harry fucking Potter.

Gods, so fine, the books are good and whatever, I've read them all, too, but...!! Can't you people realize Rowling is just following a formula?? Even the goddamn characters are formulaic!! Harry Potter might as well be called Gary Stu!! Jesus!! Even amongst my fellow Literature Major colleages you can't speak badly about Harry Potter or you get lynched.
Sometimes I wich someome threw a brick at Rowling.

The Gaia Online forums.

If you ever want to meet a complete idiot, or a moron assholes who believes Mussolini wanted to help the jews and the gypsies, or that the USA never invaded/too military action in Panama, search no longer: Gaia online is full of those.

Corpse Bride.

Man, I was looking forward to it. I *loved* Nightmare Before Christmas (and from way before the teenage gothic wannabes even found it) and I was really looking forward for Corpse Bride.
But it sucked. So badly, too.
But everyone else seems to have Burton's dick up their ass, "Wha---! Like, you haven't heard the lyrics, right? They're like, SO deep and cute!!" When you have morons singing the badly-written songs all day long you just wish for... I dunno, a piano falling on top of them.

masamuneehs
Thu, 12-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Ipods aren't overrated, just overmarketed. You'd think if you had the hottest portable entertainment gadget (this price tag south of the PSP...) you wouldn't have to put so much into marketing... Ipods are great (the new video Ipod is a fucking gizmo! with cords you can get good quality on almost any TV or computer and carry your favorite shows wherever you go!) and useful.

Drinking = overrated? Thats a matter of taste, although I also hear that after you reach 21 some of the fun goes out of it... Personally, I think Heavy Drinking is overrated, while sophisticated and moderate drinking is actually quite underrated.

New to the overrated list: Colognes (especially all those Axe, Tag etc shits) A decent shampoo, the right deodarant and a good bar of soap will still get the "ooh, you smell good" from the opposite sex, and that's really all you're going for. Also, people tend to overuse colognes and just smell too much like it, stinking up their rooms, hallways, everything! Plus, half of the 'different' colognes smell so much alike... it's really not making you special.

Assertn
Thu, 12-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Ipods aren't overrated, just overmarketed. You'd think if you had the hottest portable entertainment gadget (this price tag south of the PSP...) you wouldn't have to put so much into marketing... Ipods are great (the new video Ipod is a fucking gizmo! with cords you can get good quality on almost any TV or computer and carry your favorite shows wherever you go!) and useful.

I'll agree with that.
Just a week or two ago, i made the discovery that skyscraper walls have become synonymous with ipod bilboards.

PSJ
Thu, 12-08-2005, 04:19 PM
WD, seems like you took that pretty personal, why is that? You like Depp that much?

More overrated stuff:

LOST
Okay this series is decent, nothing more. Why does half the population get an orgasm everytime the forest shakes or Jack runs over the beach?

MTV
Sure there are some decent shows that you laugh at, not with but the rest is just pure shit.

Dave Chapelle
The only thing he does is white vs. black humor and that's overused these days, it's not funny to joke about how poor black people are and how stupid white people are so fucking stop it!

Porn
At least most of it. Seriously it's just disgusting when some big dude with the biggest cock you've seen get's a blow job for 20 minutes and then assrapes the girl who gave it to him, and she looks like a whore at that. What's so hot about that? I can agree on that lesbian porn can be entertaining once in a while but all other kinds of porn i have ever seen sucks ass.

KaosSinner
Thu, 12-08-2005, 04:23 PM
Every fucking thing is overrated nowadays. We need this, we need that, oh that would be nice..... shut the fuck up. Just think a little. Ads, marketings eating our heads. I agree, Ipods are good stuff but it really pisses me off when new versions come out, smaller ones, have more stuff to them and have more capacity. Theyre just trying to make money from every possible shit they can think about. Making this and that look "cool" thinking we will fall for it, and we do. This fucking capitalist economy just pisses me off. We complain about everything, we have new stupid needs every day while the other half of the worlds just starving to death. Not that we could do anything about it, but the fucking government just steals from those poor countries. And dont think those promises of a better world will ever become true cause thats impossible. Marketing, marketing is fucking overrated, all those things that get into our heads like that rapper is cool, or I want to wear those clothes cause thats fashion, thats just a load of bullshit. Everyone falls for it, I do.

XanBcoo
Thu, 12-08-2005, 07:00 PM
Dave Chapelle
The only thing he does is white vs. black humor and that's overused these days, it's not funny to joke about how poor black people are and how stupid white people are so fucking stop it!

Agree with that. The same goes for the majority of black comedians, as well as some hispanic ones. I'd say Carlos Mencia was overrated too, but no one thinks he's funny anyway i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

About ipods, I don't think they're overrated, but it does bother me that everyone and their dog has one. It used to amaze me that every person I saw on the street or in class had one, but now I've gotten used to it. Even when I can't see the headphones I just assume the cord is hidden. Heh.

PSJ
Thu, 12-08-2005, 07:03 PM
I do think Ipods are overrated however i don't think mp3 players in general are overrated.

Assertn
Thu, 12-08-2005, 07:30 PM
I think saying everything is overrated is overrated

Winged Dancer
Thu, 12-08-2005, 07:35 PM
WD, seems like you took that pretty personal, why is that? You like Depp that much?

Not because of Depp, no. Well, its pretty girlish to obsess with some unreachable guy, so maybe my girly side just wanted to defend that?
Yes, that was my shoujo "One Day My Dreams Will Come True!" side speaking.

Anyway...

I don't mind iPods. Perhaps because they aren't so over-marketed in my country, and hell, mine's been handy. Traffic in my city is unavoidable and unexpected - you never know when you'll be stuck an hour inside your car. A fecking-lots-of-music in a small green thing (I decorated mine with flowers!!!!) is useful enough.

More overrated stuff -

Brad Pitt.
Jesus he's overrated. I thank God Bitney Spears has almost dropped from the face of the earth.

Lesbian porn. What's so fucking grand about it? Sure, I might be lacking the equipment required to understand it, but really!
(what porn does that leave? erotic novels. And yaoi, because I'm a hypocrital bitch)

In my country, the USA is pretty overrated. People of all social classes talk of it as if it was paradise or something... I've been there a number of times and never seen paradise nor anything like that.

Ernesto "Che" Guevara.
Ok, so most Europeans and some americans probably don't know who this guy is but seriously, he's overrated. His ideals were good back in the 70's, when Fidel Castro was a hero.
My mother has a Fidel Castro poster from back when she was a rebel. Funny stuff.
But Che Guevara... you see his face in every fucking t-shirt made by hippies, he is quoted by morons who interrupt lessons at college to ask for money, by bad politics who want to blame EVERYTHING on past politics, etc, etc.
He was a good guy and his ideals were good and noble at some point, but thanks to his followers I've come to absolutely hate him.

And the PSP. Well, it's not nowadays but man was it overrated when it first came out!

PSJ
Thu, 12-08-2005, 07:45 PM
He is the guy that freed Mexico or something right? Mcdonalds in Sweden used his picture when they promoted a mexican type burger and some mexican dude got crazy and said that it was disrespectful to use such a great man in Mcdonalds promotion, Mcdonalds claimed that they just took a picutre of a maexican guy they found and didn't bother to check who he was.

Terracosmo
Thu, 12-08-2005, 08:05 PM
LMAO. Nice move by McDonalds.

Che Guevara is a good example of a person who has reached eternal idolism for no particular reason. Yes, he had "noble" ideals, but so did all the other rebels who died back during that time. Also, people tend to "forget" that he had a lot of bad things goin' on simultaneously... but hey, that's how mankind works. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Winged Dancer
Thu, 12-08-2005, 08:16 PM
Nope, not Mexico, Cuba.

...did they really did that? If it was me in Sweden I would've laughed my ass off at how things change with the distance. That's it, if I ever visited a McDonals, I think there would be better things to do in Sweden that eat so-called-Mexican-hamburgers...

...offtopic, but the two of you will have to tell me what other silly things Swedes believe about Mexico, its just too funny.
And if you want to know what people in here believe about Sweden -
1. Cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. As in, very cold. How can you survive? Yes, we know you have clothes, but still!
3. Like, everyone's tall and beautiful right?
4. And people work 24/7.

ChaosK
Thu, 12-08-2005, 08:26 PM
i dunno from terra i got the impression that swedes really love sex...but who doesnt?

el_boss
Thu, 12-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by: Winged Dancer
And if you want to know what people in here believe about Sweden -
1. Cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. As in, very cold. How can you survive? Yes, we know you have clothes, but still!
3. Like, everyone's tall and beautiful right?
4. And people work 24/7.

Mexican stereotypes:
Talk really fast
Sleep all the time aka siesta
Everyone wears sombreros
Extremely religious
I think also everyone has an image of the typical mexican gangster (as seen in "bound by honor/blood in blood out" and such movies)

As for the swedish stereotypes:
1 & 2. Yes it's cold here in the winter, but we also have summer, spring and autumn. It also makes a big difference where in the country you live. Obviously in the north it's colder.
3. It's relative, maybe since I lived here all my life I take these things for granted. I'm a little below average regarding height so everyone seem tall to me.
4. People do work alot, at least that's what I hear.

You forgot the one that everyone are blonde and have blue eyes. And that everyone in sweden commit suicide.

Assertn
Thu, 12-08-2005, 09:14 PM
don't forget the "Swedish Sleep System"

Which is supposedly revolutionary. I guess terra DOES tend to look a bit too relaxed, anyway.

Winged Dancer
Thu, 12-08-2005, 09:49 PM
Mexican stereotypes then -

1.- Not everyone, but I do. Most of my elders can't understand a word I say, but I'm fine with people my age.
2.- Not really... well, my brother takes 4-hour longs siestas, but that's because he's a lazy teen
3.- LOL not at all! Its weird to see people wearing hats and/or sombreros nowadays
4.- ....yes. Which I hate.
5.- The mexican gangster, called "narco", yeah, are like family and stuff, and very religious too. Cynical? Yes!

Also - no you swedes don't have summer! You have a slight less cold time, but no summer!
Just as we don't have winter. I mean, today we were at 22°C. We suffer when it's 7°C, and that's no winter... while our summers are, when cold, 26°C, when hot 33°C, and that's the city.

You know what's overrated?
Winter!! God, they picture everything so white and pretty but they don't picture your toes getting cold and your hair freezing because it was wet nor do they picture you falling into the snow and not being able to get out.

Honoko
Thu, 12-08-2005, 11:30 PM
Winter!! God, they picture everything so white and pretty but they don't picture your toes getting cold and your hair freezing because it was wet nor do they picture you falling into the snow and not being able to get out.
winter isn't overrated if you're into skiing or snowboarding...

Assertn
Fri, 12-09-2005, 03:08 AM
The image of a "white christmas" is overrated though.
I'm surprised how much of an association snow has with xmas even in LA, where the coldest it's been so far during the day is in the 60 F

KaosSinner
Fri, 12-09-2005, 04:09 AM

Yeah. I go snowboarding every winter and never get tired of that beautiful white snow.

isso
Fri, 12-09-2005, 04:30 AM
Ben affleck... hate his guts..

el_boss
Fri, 12-09-2005, 06:56 AM
@Assertn: What the hell is Swedish Sleep System? Never heard of it.

@Winged Dancer: You got me there, no summer for us i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif Seriously though temperatures can get up to 33 here in sweden as well. Bwahawhahw weak inferior mortals, 7C is "warm" by swedish winter standards. Here it's concidered cold when it's around -5C. I like the feeling when it's so cold that your nosehair freezes when you breath in.

Another mexican stereotype: All the tap water is dirty and you get ill if you drink it.

Carnage
Fri, 12-09-2005, 08:24 AM
I wouldnt last one minute in sweden. Only good thing about the cold is the snow. YIPEEEEEEEEE!
Todays a SNOW DAY! YAYAAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYA! Today we have like the first snow day in years.

Winged Dancer
Fri, 12-09-2005, 09:41 AM

That must be very true but if you live in a tropical country and yet Christmas in TV, even national, country-made TV is pictured with snow and... snow, you do tend to get tired =P

@el_boss - that thing about tap water might be true. Hotel's tap water is safe, for instance. my house's tap water is safe, but most of the time, yes, you'll suffer from lots of dhiarrea. In fact, your weak swedish stomach will die from our food!! or not.

Overrated -

I never understood what's so good about One Piece. I tried - read up to chapter 200 of the manga (pretended I liked it), watched the anime when I heard my favorite seiyuu has a role in it but I just couldn't get into it.

I don't like the artstyle at all, the women are horribly painted and the guy takes Super-Deformed to the next level, most character designs strike me as stupid.
And the plot seems like the most average shounen plot for me - I fight you, we become friends, we fight bad guys and get beaten at first before the power of friendship defeats evil.

el_boss
Fri, 12-09-2005, 11:10 AM
@Winged Dancer: One Piece has one of the deepest most emotional plots I have ever seen in an anime. I'm a real macho man (or not), but there were parts that almost made me cry (which I would never do for something fictional but almost). One Piece displays one of the widest specras of human emotions and brings up alot of "tough" subjects. I agree that the artwork is a little "childish" at first but it gets better as the show progresses (keep in mind that the show started in 1999). The only problem I have is that almost all the women look like eachother except Robin. And my stomach is made of iron, no food in the world can topple me... except extremely fat food which give some moderate troubles.

Almost all "classic" authors and their books are overrated.
Religion in general is overrated.
The Lord of the rings books and movies are overrated beyond belief. I mean the books suck ass, as do the movies now that they have lost their original luster.

Terracosmo
Fri, 12-09-2005, 12:09 PM
What is "the revolutionary swedish sleep system"? :S

For the record I'm not as sexed up as I might appear to be, it's more like an image thingy... but hey, not like anyone believes me i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Carnage
Fri, 12-09-2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by: el_boss
@Winged Dancer: One Piece has one of the deepest most emotional plots I have ever seen in an anime. I'm a real macho man (or not), but there were parts that almost made me cry (which I would never do for something fictional but almost). One Piece displays one of the widest specras of human emotions and brings up alot of "tough" subjects. I agree that the artwork is a little "childish" at first but it gets better as the show progresses (keep in mind that the show started in 1999). The only problem I have is that almost all the women look like eachother except Robin. And my stomach is made of iron, no food in the world can topple me... except extremely fat food which give some moderate troubles.

Almost all "classic" authors and their books are overrated.
Religion in general is overrated.
The Lord of the rings books and movies are overrated beyond belief. I mean the books suck ass, as do the movies now that they have lost their original luster.

everything he said.

Giboc
Fri, 12-09-2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by: el_boss
One Piece displays one of the widest specras of human emotions and brings up alot of "tough" subjects.

The last few episodes in the Arlong Park episode... oh man, brought a tear in my eye.

What's overrated? Sex. SOOOO overrated.

edited for grammar and punctuation

Winged Dancer
Fri, 12-09-2005, 12:43 PM
I still can't get into One Piece. Gave it a try (and a long try - 200 manga chapters should be enough) and got no reaction out of me. I simply can't. Whether it's because of the art style or the plot (which I've never found to be as deep as you all guys say) or whatever, I can't.
I mean, I'm a girl! I'm really sensitive, too! Cry with most books and things. Cried with Victorian Romance Emma, cried RIVERS with Gankutsuou, cried a lot with Basilisk, cried EVERY SINGLE EPISODE of Saikano, cried when I first read Lord of the Rings, cried with uh, Final Fantasy IX, with Little Women and Little Men too, and with that movie Finding Neverland - cried during ALL of the movie.
But the most I've gotten out of One Piece is rolling my eyes. Perhaps it's TOO macho for me! like, it only makes guys cry!

The Lord of the Rings - I absolutely love it. Read it when I was 12 (eight years ago) and loved it, re-read it two years ago and still loved it. Of course the style is old - not only was it written 50 years ago, it was written with that style in mind. It's the mother and basis of all modern epics, that much is a fact.

Guess it all comes down to one's own likings... someone in this thread said reading was overrated, I think that's just an excuse for not reading but then again I've always loved to read - ever since I was a little, little girl.

Vampires are fucking overrated.

Want the real deal on Vampires? Here it goes -

Vampires as we know them (Dracula-like, handsome sexy devils) were created in the Victorian Era as a representation of everything man wanted to be but couldn't. I mean Jesus, during the Victorian Era it was considered wrong to say "leg" in everyday conversations because of the sexual undertones!!

So instead they created the Vampire, an sexy mature man who seduces young, nubile virgins and sucks their blood - SURPRISE, that's a methaphore for popping their cherry!! In other words vampires are just frustrated grown men who want to have sex with teens.

Same goes for female vampires. Why do they only eat children blood?
Because it's a metaphore for a woman's biological fear of child-birth. Not only that, during the Victorian Era women were so repressed they tended to snap during child-birth and tried to kill their babies. Yes, the victorias were _that_ fucked up.

But thanks to Anne Rice and the morons who make the roleplaying game everyobody is like "ooooh i'm a vampyr, lol, its so cool, like, lestat and shit" and they just don't notice that being "gothic" means "being ultimately screwed up" or perhaps "wanting to kill one's mother because her spanking made you develop an anal conflict that makes you want to screw older women."

Carnage
Fri, 12-09-2005, 02:18 PM
I still can't get into One Piece. Gave it a try (and a long try - 200 manga chapters should be enough) and got no reaction out of me. I simply can't. Whether it's because of the art style or the plot (which I've never found to be as deep as you all guys say) or whatever, I can't.
I mean, I'm a girl! I'm really sensitive, too! Cry with most books and things. Cried with Victorian Romance Emma, cried RIVERS with Gankutsuou, cried a lot with Basilisk, cried EVERY SINGLE EPISODE of Saikano, cried when I first read Lord of the Rings, cried with uh, Final Fantasy IX, with Little Women and Little Men too, and with that movie Finding Neverland - cried during ALL of the movie.
But the most I've gotten out of One Piece is rolling my eyes. Perhaps it's TOO macho for me! like, it only makes guys cry!

The Lord of the Rings - I absolutely love it. Read it when I was 12 (eight years ago) and loved it, re-read it two years ago and still loved it. Of course the style is old - not only was it written 50 years ago, it was written with that style in mind. It's the mother and basis of all modern epics, that much is a fact.

Guess it all comes down to one's own likings... someone in this thread said reading was overrated, I think that's just an excuse for not reading but then again I've always loved to read - ever since I was a little, little girl.

Vampires are fucking overrated.

Want the real deal on Vampires? Here it goes -

Vampires as we know them (Dracula-like, handsome sexy devils) were created in the Victorian Era as a representation of everything man wanted to be but couldn't. I mean Jesus, during the Victorian Era it was considered wrong to say "leg" in everyday conversations because of the sexual undertones!!

So instead they created the Vampire, an sexy mature man who seduces young, nubile virgins and sucks their blood - SURPRISE, that's a methaphore for popping their cherry!! In other words vampires are just frustrated grown men who want to have sex with teens.

Same goes for female vampires. Why do they only eat children blood?
Because it's a metaphore for a woman's biological fear of child-birth. Not only that, during the Victorian Era women were so repressed they tended to snap during child-birth and tried to kill their babies. Yes, the victorias were _that_ fucked up.

But thanks to Anne Rice and the morons who make the roleplaying game everyobody is like "ooooh i'm a vampyr, lol, its so cool, like, lestat and shit" and they just don't notice that being "gothic" means "being ultimately screwed up" or perhaps "wanting to kill one's mother because her spanking made you develop an anal conflict that makes you want to screw older women."

Originally posted by:Giboc[/b]

Hahaha, silly silly boy, there are no girls on the internet.

About the vampire thing, that just creeped me out.i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif

not all vampires suck, Alucard from Hellsing was awsome. Just a reminder....

P.S. Wait, who doesn't want to be a sexy man who seduces teenagers?i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

XanBcoo
Fri, 12-09-2005, 02:31 PM
She didn't say vampires sucked, she said they were overrated and I agree wholeheartedly. I've got 3 friends who's screennames have something to do with vampires. They're an obsession for gothic and emo kids who like the sexual masochism involved with vampires, and think that they are teh coolest thing ever because they're undead and dark and evil and etc.

Uchiha Barles
Fri, 12-09-2005, 05:28 PM
Goth is overrated. Not as it began, but as its become. I can't stand gothic people who feel so superior to everyone else. They're supposed to be so accepting and open-minded to everything, but I know so many that are unrelated to each other, yet share the common characteristic of being condescending pricks. I know one goth, just one, who is into it and displays everything that the group is supposed to stand for, and never once do you get the feeling that he feels he's better than you, even though in most cases he probably is.

Edit: Oh god...I've been hearing a lot about Dane Cook lately, and now a thread was created in his honor. So I went to his site and checked out some of the audio and the clips there. In 40 minutes on that site, the most he could muster out of me was a chuckle at the practical joke he pulled on his friend. This man is not funny, and given his popularity, highly overrated.

milfhunter
Fri, 12-09-2005, 06:32 PM
Yeah, asian chicks are super overrated. I mean, my asshole is way tighter than them. I feel it everytime I take a shit. It hurts.

Anyway, Dane Cook is a bag of douche (ripped off a Dane Cook line right there). Like Uchiha Barles said, he is retardedly overrated. Most of his shit is over-the-top, ostentatiously ostentatious, and thus, ostentatiously annoying. And it's not like any of his shit goes over my head either. I get it, and it's still not funny.

PSJ
Fri, 12-09-2005, 09:10 PM
Labels
I'm talking about labels on people like "He's a goth" "oh look at him what a jock" etc. etc. Everybody labels people they don't know and labeling people is so goddamn overrated, you don't know the person so why bother trying to have an opinion about them?

Pro Wrestling, Nascar, Monstertrucks and every other passtime in that vein americans have.
I have failed to see the coolness of all these things, okay sure they are big and muscular so thin nerds can obsess about their manliness and sure they drive around in a circle for 1 million laps and crash once in a while and on top of that those other guys drives a big ass truck named after a superhero and tries to do retarded "tricks" with their big toy.

aznimperialx
Fri, 12-09-2005, 09:30 PM
money is overrated...

Winged Dancer
Fri, 12-09-2005, 10:46 PM
not all vampires suck, Alucard from Hellsing was awsome. Just a reminder....

P.S. Wait, who doesn't want to be a sexy man who seduces teenagers?

Alucard from Hellsing was good because he's an actual Vampire. He doesn't need to be talking shitty gothing lines or to worry about the endless pain of un-living to be cool, and best of all - he's not OMG tortured because like I have to kill humans to survive!!!!1 =((((((

And the thing about old men seducing teens? Well, it'd be pretty freaky for the teen, if you ask me.
I like Vampires. But I also like gothic literature, which is much much much screwed up than most vampires-wannabes will ever understand. If only the people at Whitewolf attended to some gothic lit course perhaps they'd be able to create a better roleplay.

On labels - I tend to keep an open mind before labeling people... which is to say I do label them but only after I've gotten to know them or tried to at the very least. They are useful for gossiping, and since there are girls on the internet, we get together and gossip, so there.

darkmetal505
Sat, 12-10-2005, 12:11 AM
standardized tests are overrated. Not everyone is good at test taking.

Giboc
Sat, 12-10-2005, 01:39 AM
And the thing about old men seducing teens?

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/2917/121429yv.jpg

Winged Dancer
Sat, 12-10-2005, 10:43 AM
LOL, I saw that film just yesterday. It makes me laugh so stupidly much.

BTW, the Ace Ventura films are overrated, or at least so by my cousins, who consider them to be the pinnacle of comedy.

PSJ
Sat, 12-10-2005, 12:24 PM
LOL, I saw that film just yesterday. It makes me laugh so stupidly much.

BTW, the Ace Ventura films are overrated, or at least so by my cousins, who consider them to be the pinnacle of comedy.

DO NOT CALL JIM CARREY'S WORKS OVERRATED!!!!

seriously the first Ace Ventura movie is close to the best comedy piece ever made. That movie is brilliant, the second one is nothing special but the first one is godly.

Carnage
Sat, 12-10-2005, 01:48 PM
OMG, Aceventura was the best comdey movie ever. Every time i see him come out of that Rhinosaraus and the kids are watching, i just cant help but burst out and laugh.

Honoko
Sat, 12-10-2005, 03:28 PM
WD's cousins and you guys would get along great then hhahaha... and i agree, i LOVED the first ace ventura....then jim carrey wanted to be taken seriously as an actor =P

Winged Dancer
Sat, 12-10-2005, 03:34 PM
I like his serious attempts much better than most of his comedies. Perhaps liking Ace Ventura and One Piece are related...?

Honoko
Sat, 12-10-2005, 06:20 PM
maybei/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif it took me about 20 eps before i got used to one piece's humor, drawing, everything. i think what really clinched the series for me, though, was the nami arc even though it was SO FREAKING LONG.

The Heretic Azazel
Sat, 12-10-2005, 07:37 PM
I tried watching One Piece the other day (lost my remote) and the WHOLE episode was what's-his-fuck,m Lufie or whatever, climbing a mountain in the middle of a blizzard with that bitch strapped to his back and dragging the swordsman by his TEETH.

COME ON.

Assertn
Sat, 12-10-2005, 07:51 PM
everything before the arlong arc was way too cookie cutter.

It was basically:
Luffy meets friend.
Luffy fights main villian while friend fights lackeys.
Friend becomes crew member.
Repeat.

Once you get past that though, it's pretty sweet

LobsterMagnet
Sat, 12-10-2005, 08:31 PM
Will Ferrel is overrated. I seriously do not see what people find to be so funny about him. Most of his humor seems revolve around "look at me I'm Will Ferrel" "look at me I'm Will Ferrel I'm so quirky and kooky."

All of the American Pie movies are overrated.

Fricking HunterxHunter is overrated. After twenty three episodes I was still at a loss as to what the fricking appeal about it was supposed to be. Bad action, bad art, bad story, infantile character development, shonen conventions to the ninth degree screw it!

Gundam is overrated. Only good thing that Gundam has contributed is the fact that it allows me to say Gundammit.

Target demos are overrated since they are no idication of the final design of visual quality.

Revolution is overrated, as much as I love nintendo I can't help but feel sorry for them when I hear all of these reports about the revolution being nothing more tech wise than a slightly more powerful xbox.

Catcher in the Rye is overrated, all it was about was a whiney little bitch who whined for over 200 pages, hell I can whine for 300 where's my literary accolade?

X-men movies are overated. Break down there plots and they just sound stupid.

The O.C. is overrated.

Just about everything that MTV has produced in the past ten years is overrated.

Rare is overrated. Last good game they produced was fricking perfect dark of the N64 and even that was considered to be quite aged in it's time. If I were microsoft I'd be kicking myself.

Penny-Arcade is overrated. Sometimes they hit the nail on the head most of the time they miss. More misses then hits.

EA games are overrated. EA sucks plain and simple, no reason to buy yearly updates for all of there fricking sports franchises.

50 Cent is overrated. Don't even fricking get my started on his stupid ass. Just go look up his qouted statement recommending that parent's buy his new violent godawful video game for their children.

MMORPG are overrated. Anything that charges 15 dollars a month is not worth my time.

American Dad is overrated. I can't see how anyone finds this show to be funny. Every episode feels so forced and contrived. It's like somebody let Seth Mcfarlane use his a bunch of discarded republican jokes to make a whole series out of.

Girlfriends/ Boyfriends are overrated. We live in a society that throughly discourages long term social commitments. Where relationships and people are treated as cheap replacable commodities that are easily disposable. Mass media and advertising has created a toxic climate where every person has to have a signifigant other simply for the sake of having just like having other status icons like a big screen TV or a humvee we are encrouged to engage and shallow and superficial relationships the ultimately don't work out. Please think a bit harder before you find some person who think is HOT and think if you actually have compatible qualities and if you can actually form a real relationship.

Scary movie movie's are overrated.

Japanese horror movie remakes are overrated.

M. Night Shamalon is overrated for christ sake the guy hasn't made a good movie sinse the sixth sense studio's make him retire!

95% of flash animations are overrated.

Most of the stuff on the internet is overrated

philosophy as a major is overrated. I mean common no one is going to pay you to philosphize on the streets. It's something that people only do for ego masterbation, nothing else. Because nothing sounds more sophisticated then declaring "I'm a philosphy major!"

The facebook is overrated

AIM is overrated.

one last thing that is underrated. QUAKER PARROTS. THEY FRICKING RULE! To see one just look at my spify new avatar.

Honoko
Sat, 12-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by: LobsterMagnet
Catcher in the Rye is overrated, all it was about was a whiney little bitch who whined for over 200 pages, hell I can whine for 300 where's my literary accolade?
Yes!!! I totally agree with you! but apparently, the people who did love that book read it when they were teenagers so most of them were already mentally prepared to connect w/ that whiny idiot. fortunately, i read it in college and simply could not see what was so great about it. i had never read a book that seriously pissed me off until this one.

The Heretic Azazel
Sat, 12-10-2005, 09:36 PM
M. Night Shamalon is overrated for christ sake the guy hasn't made a good movie sinse the sixth sense studio's make him retire! .

TERRIBLY overrated movie.

Terracosmo
Sat, 12-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Damnit WD, stop saying that cool things are overrated! i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

I HAVE CREATED A MONSTER WITH THIS THREAD : (

Winged Dancer
Sat, 12-10-2005, 10:39 PM

Fricking HunterxHunter is overrated. After twenty three episodes I was still at a loss as to what the fricking appeal about it was supposed to be. Bad action, bad art, bad story, infantile character development, shonen conventions to the ninth degree screw it!

I couldn't agree more. The first time I saw HunterXHunter was while in Japan, and the bad quality of it all surprised me so much. The dialogue is bad and cliched, the bad guys are terribly shounen-stupid and the art is... bad. Really bad. Sketchy, at best. I don't know if its because he's got too little people working at it (a regular manga is done by at least five or six people, more if its popular) or what, but its just very very bad.

I like Catcher in the Rye though, but then again I'm studying literature so that was kinda expected.

@Terra - well, people need a place to whine, so don't be surprised =P
Me, I just like to scare people with silly "Victorian women wanted to eat their babies!" facts. Like Frankenstein! That, too, is an example of female gothic literature in which a mother/creator hates her/his son and desires to kill him because she/he believes the son will bring great pain!

Terracosmo
Sat, 12-10-2005, 11:09 PM
*sits in his lonely vampire corner and drinks strawberry juice, pretending it's blood*

XanBcoo
Sun, 12-11-2005, 04:25 AM
Girlfriends/ Boyfriends are overrated. We live in a society that throughly discourages long term social commitments. Where relationships and people are treated as cheap replacable commodities that are easily disposable. Mass media and advertising has created a toxic climate where every person has to have a signifigant other simply for the sake of having just like having other status icons like a big screen TV or a humvee we are encrouged to engage and shallow and superficial relationships the ultimately don't work out. Please think a bit harder before you find some person who think is HOT and think if you actually have compatible qualities and if you can actually form a real relationship.

Dude, you've already been flamed before for spouting that kinda stuff. No one's forcing you to have a girlfriend. And although it can be true that a lot of people are irresponsible about relationships when they're young (hell, I find it pretty stupid to try and enter such a serious relationship so young), most of the time people enter into relationships because they're actually interested in the other person, and not because "society is forcing them to."

The Heretic Azazel
Sun, 12-11-2005, 11:15 AM
Can I use society as an excuse for the fat chicks I've slept with?

Winged Dancer
Sun, 12-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Yes you can.

Society is to blame for everything. Along with Canada. (now someone please come and say South Park is overrated because I don't really know.)

@Terra: I could make jokes about that strawberry juice being mentrual blood, you know? You tempt me!!

NM
Sun, 12-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Halo series: Seriously, what is the big fucking deal with this game? I've played it on my computer and its just another FPS type of game to me. Is it the vehicles? Big deal, you can use vehicles in any other damn game. And the graphics aren't that spectacular as they are put out to be.

FMA Opening 2: I dunno why everyones in love with the second opening, Ready Steady Go! I mean, it was ok, but not the best opening. Rewrite definetly had to be the best one.

EA Games: As LobsterMagnet said, EA Games are overrated to. I really don't understand why sports fans continually buy these new games every year. The gameplay is the same!! Its just a few new add-ons and new rosters but other than that, nothing changes!

Ipods: Don't see what the big deal is with them. My mp3 player works just fine, and I've got my laptop and car adaptor if my family decides to take a trip somewhere.

Bleach: Ok, I probably shouldn't be talking about how Bleach is overrated when my own sig has Ichigo on it but I don't understand why people love it THAT much. Its a decent show, I love the characters, story, and action but its not like the greatest anime ever created. Don't kill me for this one. >_>

I'm sure theres more things I think are overrated, just need to think of them.

Carnage
Sun, 12-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by: NarutoMaster
Bleach: Ok, I probably shouldn't be talking about how Bleach is overrated when my own sig has Ichigo on it but I don't understand why people love it THAT much. Its a decent show, I love the characters, story, and action but its not like the greatest anime ever created. Don't kill me for this one. >_>

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YOU WILL DIE IN 7 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol, jki/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

You know whats really overrated? Punk, Metal, and Rock.

*Dont kill me for this one. >_>*

Mr Squiggles
Sun, 12-11-2005, 02:56 PM
@NarutoMaser: Well, if you only tried halo on PC, then I can understand... But try getting together with 7 other geeks and playing halo2 and 2 networked Xboxes, and I assure you you'll have a a great time. I do agree that the halo games are overrated, their not the best ever like some say, but they definetly are really good games.

But, as for something thats overrated:

Booze: sure, its fun at first, but then the morning after totally sucks, and It doesnt even taste that good... but then again I'm only 17, and its supposed to be an "aquired taste"... plus, its expensive ^.^

Harry potter is also way too overrated. Yeah, they are good books, but this whole worship thing is just ridiculous, I mean when the 3rd book just came out some of my friends were having a Harry Potter party. Who the hell has Harry Potter parties?!?!?!?! honestly! I mean theres plenty of other fantasy books out there that are just as good if not better.

Sanity: whats so good about being normal? all the normal ppl are just boring. Why do my friends look at me funny when I ask if I can play with their organs when they die... And why do people always accuse me of being on drugs, Im really not. Seriously, so what If I'm not 100% mentaly stable, at least I'm having fun...

Carnage
Sun, 12-11-2005, 03:36 PM
you mean unstable? Society cant handle the outcasts, cuz society sucks.their just jealous cuz were cooler than them!i/expressions/beer.gif

Uchiha Barles
Sun, 12-11-2005, 03:52 PM

I couldn't agree more. The first time I saw HunterXHunter was while in Japan, and the bad quality of it all surprised me so much. The dialogue is bad and cliched, the bad guys are terribly shounen-stupid and the art is... bad. Really bad. Sketchy, at best. I don't know if its because he's got too little people working at it (a regular manga is done by at least five or six people, more if its popular) or what, but its just very very bad.

This is an opinion thread but....omg....you two....you really....you....you WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUND ME!!! i/expressions/brokenheart.gif i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif .I seriously cannot for the life of me understand how people who watch both HxH and Naruto, can fail to see what a complete and utter, unmitigated rip-off Naruto is of HxH. Granted for the first arc, as in the exam, the Naruto artwork is better, and the fighting in Naruto is also better. But the second we get into nen-training for Gon and Killua, the artwork is no longer lagging, and neither is the flash of the fights.

I mentioned that Naruto was a rip-off of HxH. A complete and utter, unmitigated rip-off, if I remember correctly. First look at the characters.

Naruto, obviously a mix of Gon's simple-mindedness and Leorio's bragging loudmouthedness (but somehow, Naruto is less than the sum of his parts).

Sasuke, obviously a mix of Kurapica with the vengence thing, not to mention the freaking eyes, and Killua with the talent thing and quick learning, since sasuke is supposed to be talented and learn things quickly, whatever the reason (but somehow, Sasuke is less than the sum of his parts).

Kakashi, you have to realize is Satotsu. His manner of speach is nearly identical, their mannerisms in general are identical, and so are their eyes. And Satotsu HAS NO MOUTH! while kakashi's mouth is inexplicably covered throughout the entire series.

Anko, remember the fishnet and the boobies and the spit fire attitude? Although the attitudes aren't completely the same, they're very similar, and the manner of dressing is nearly identical to Mince. And they're both examiners....

Orochimaru, slightly gay, uses his toungue a lot, very deadly. Now there are some differences in the reasons they do things, but the overall impression of Orochimaru reeks of Hisoka. Plus, in the forest exam in Naruto, Orochimaru displayed insane powers relative to the examinees, same as Hisoka. Hisoka even paralysed a couple of people with his aura, just like Orochimaru did.

Rock Lee, Zuchi. The little boy training with Gon and Killua in the tower. I don't think I need to explain that one. They're exactly the same down to those god forsaken eye brows.

I could easily go on.

Besides the characters being rip offs, the situations were equally ripped off. Remember when Team Kakashi made it to the beginning of the chuunin exam and they were being loud and obnoxious until they realized how the atmosphere was different from before, how all the contestants were serious and had murder in their eyes? Same exact, EXACT thing happened in HxH when all the friends made it to the official first part of the hunter exam. There was also a trecherous helper (In Naruto it was Kabuto, in HxH it was Tonpa). Their roles deviated as the series progressed, but in that instant, they were one and the same, making the entire situation one and the same with the corresponding one in Naruto. Then there the entire second chuunin exam. That's the same as the 4th hunter exam. Slightly different requirements sure. Chuunin exam had a 3 day limit to gather scrolls and reach a destination, while the the hunter exam had a one week survival requirement, while you had to gather plates from your enemies while protecting your own, and reaching the starting point.....In fact, the chuunin exam even ripped off particular situations. Remember when Sakura was taking care of Naruto and under a tree and there was a bunny and squirrel running around? That's nothing but a combination of two scenes from HxH. The one where Gon was wonded under a tree and there was a bunny running around, along with the cave scene with the dead snake guy in it and the girl with the medicine. Once again, I could go on....

Now, Naruto has a lot of surprises and unexpected things and what not, but so does HxH. Why? Because the style in which those unexpected things and surprises occured in Naruto is totally ripped off from HxH. This is a more subtle distinction I'm not prepared to argue without rewatching and picking apart the surprises, but it should smack you right in your lips at how similar they are from HxH to Naruto. It did me.

The characters in HxH are called hunters, while they're called Ninja in Naruto. Yet, somehow hunters are far more ninja then the Naruto ninja have ever been shown to be. EVERYTHING in Naruto is about fighting ability. Heres a short explanation. In Naruto, if you can't beat someone in a fight, you can't trail them either. If they're chasing you, you can't get away from them either. If you can't beat someone, none of your traps will work against them. That is not the case in HxH. Your ability to do something, is based on your nen abilities, and how well you can apply it to the situation. A similiar case in Naruto SHOULD exist, but I don't think its ever been shown. In HxH, they make a point to show it. Gon and Killua track people, and get away from people they clearly have no chance again. In a head on fight, they would last 4 seconds if the enemy was serious. It is SO well done in that you believe everything you're seeing. "In this kind of of world, these things could happen." In Naruto, every other arc has you going "What I thought was truth and basic in this world is no longer. I new new ground to stand on."

Finally, the characters in HxH are no more typical than they are in Naruto. They all have a story, one that you're watching in development, and you coming to care for them is because of that development, not because of some stupid, overused overdramatic flashback showing you about their past. In HxH, the character's past is 6 episodes ago. Nor do you feel you're missing out for lack of a flashback. There are a few characters warranting flashbacks, like Kurapica, and maybe they'll get to giving a detailed one some day (they've given several flashbacks on his past, but none in detail). But you know what? Better the absence of one warrented flashback than the presence of 8 annoying ones.

You might argue that many animes possess similarities such as these, but in combination, this is the most single blatant intellectual property robbery I've ever seen go unprosecuted.

WTF is my point you ask? How can you possibly like Naruto and not like HxH more?! You guys don't come across as idiots, so I don't get it. I will never understand this world.
i/expressions/brokenheart.gif

Edit: HOLY SHIT THIS IS LONG!

PSJ
Sun, 12-11-2005, 04:52 PM
I like his serious attempts much better than most of his comedies. Perhaps liking Ace Ventura and One Piece are related...?

Not at all. Everything Jim Carrey has done is good.

Winged Dancer
Sun, 12-11-2005, 07:10 PM
@Uchiha Barles -

Actually, the thing about ninjas and eyes is part of the japanese folklore, that's why in many, many ninja shows you'll find that at least one ninja's powers will be his eyes, and not only that - any and every eye-based power is, by definition, the most powerful.

Example - the Uchiha and the Hyuuga in Naruto, or both Oboro and Gennosuke in Basilisk (WATCH THAT SERIES NOW, I TELL YOU TO), it doesn't matter how otherwise weak they might be their eyes make them incredibly powerful by comparision.

And truth to be told your entire analysis of how Naruto charactes resemble those of HXH is pretty baseless given that Shounen Jump magazines ain't good for their originality. In other words every single character of Jump has its foundations in another character of Jump.

So then we can say that Gon is a mix of "Sain Seiya" Seiya's simple-mindness along with the determination of Tsubasa from "Captain Tsubasa", and I don't care if you haven't read those series - they are some of the first that ever run on Jump anyway.

I read a good chunk of the HXH manga. Finished the entire exam thingie and then completely lost interest.

Uchiha Barles
Sun, 12-11-2005, 08:10 PM
Alright, if the character analysis has to be taken as a given because both Naruto and HxH are shonen jump series (don't read it much so I had no idea) the rest of what I'm saying is still true. I can understand how you would lose interest after the exam thing, cuz in the anime, it covers an entire season, and then some. But, the stories really begin to develop after that. The animation is actually not craptastic, its quite good after the exam. Most importantly, if you ever find the patience, I really recommend you watch the arc where Kurapica and the rest of them face off against The Ryodan. Its not too long an arc, its after Gon and Killua learn about the usage of nen, and its just an awesome arc altogether. While learning about the usage of nen, there's some significant story development as well. but it might be a little too "typical shonen" for you (but not anymore than Naruto is at its best). If you like the Kurapica arc, then check out the greed island arc, but overall, my arguments, asides from character similarities, are best illustrated in the kurapica arc. GO CHECK IT OUT!!! (please?)

P.S. Don't ask me why I care so much, I couldn't tell you.

Winged Dancer
Sun, 12-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Because we care about the stuff we like.

And when I talked about art quality I meant the manga, I truthfully have no right to say anything regarding the anime because I haven't seen it. Did you know the guy who created HXH is married to the woman who created Sailor Moon? Talk about freaky, heh.

And I can't for the life of me think of anything overrated that hasn't been mentioned here. Well, some guys over there are saying that smiling in pictures is overrated, so there.

aznimperialx
Sun, 12-11-2005, 09:45 PM
old people are overrated ha

The Heretic Azazel
Sun, 12-11-2005, 09:54 PM
Barles, this is what I have to say to you.

Kick that shit show Hunter X Hunter to the curb, listen to W-D and watch BASILISK.

Winged Dancer
Sun, 12-11-2005, 11:33 PM
Everybody should watch Basilisk, it's the show that proves that ninja ain't so overrated.

ES
Mon, 12-12-2005, 09:16 AM
Well, some guys over there are saying that smiling in pictures is overrated, so there.

Dont forget the peace signs, so there....too.

Carnage
Mon, 12-12-2005, 03:47 PM
Because we care about the stuff we like.

And when I talked about art quality I meant the manga, I truthfully have no right to say anything regarding the anime because I haven't seen it. Did you know the guy who created HXH is married to the woman who created Sailor Moon? Talk about freaky, heh.

And I can't for the life of me think of anything overrated that hasn't been mentioned here. Well, some guys over there are saying that smiling in pictures is overrated, so there.

Isnt he also the same guy who made YuYu Hakusho??? In that case, i love that man!!!!!!

Another overrated thing: Acting Black when your not. Actually, we should say gangster. Saying black is racisti/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Giboc
Mon, 12-12-2005, 04:42 PM
Political Correctness is overrated. Instead of worrying about what the correct term is, why don't you try fighting for something actually important, like equal wages or something similar?

Carnage
Mon, 12-12-2005, 08:31 PM
q]Originally posted by: Giboc
Political Correctness is overrated. Instead of worrying about what the correct term is, why don't you try fighting for something actually important, like equal wages or something similar?[/quote]

Well if the term is incorrect and racist then i guess its not very nice to be saying it. Black people get lower wages??????

Uchiha Barles
Mon, 12-12-2005, 08:47 PM
Yes, relative to white men, on the average. But women have it even worse. There are a lot of -isms out there.

ChaosK
Mon, 12-12-2005, 09:57 PM
the stock market is overrated.

masamuneehs
Tue, 12-13-2005, 12:51 AM
Political correctness is overrated. Tact is underrated, though it is that much more important.

Wine (in general) is overrated. If you don't get the right kind, its even worse than drinking beer. People decry beer drinkers as lowlifes and bums, but then they go out and get horrible combinations of wine (or wines that clash with the food) and proceed to get even stupider drunk than beer drinkers. Wine also gives a horrible hangover, stomach and head.

Rakuen
Tue, 12-13-2005, 03:44 AM
Honestly, I think the Fullmetal Alchemist anime is overrated.

*gets shot*

Yeah, it's loads better than some of the stuff out there now, but the manga's loads better. In my opinion.

Grades are overrated. I hate students who obsess with grades but not learning. I would like school so much more if there were no grades or homework.

American football is the most overrated sport in the history of all sports. I despise that game.

The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan is overrated. I had to read it for English, and I really don't like that book. Critics and people are all "OMFG This is so BEAUTIFUL and POIGNANT and stuff," and I'm just thinking "Compared to what other crap?"

Haha, I think I got kind of overboard in the complaining department. ^_^;

Are we allowed to say things that are underrated? Well, even if we're not supposed to, I'll list them really quick because I need to say this: Kazumasa Oda, jigsaw puzzles, golf, Diana Wynne Jones, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.

ES
Tue, 12-13-2005, 04:11 AM
You know what's overrated? Pointing out the rules such as animated avatars... O_o

PSJ
Tue, 12-13-2005, 09:21 AM
q]Originally posted by: Giboc
Political Correctness is overrated. Instead of worrying about what the correct term is, why don't you try fighting for something actually important, like equal wages or something similar?

Well if the term is incorrect and racist then i guess its not very nice to be saying it. Black people get lower wages??????[/quote]

What is so racist about calling black people black? If you think that's racist then stop calling white people white, that should be concidered racist to right?

Honoko
Tue, 12-13-2005, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by: Uchiha Barles
Yes, relative to white men, on the average. But women have it even worse. There are a lot of -isms out there.
and there's a study on how ugly people are least likely to get promoted than pretty people. what's that -ism called?

XanBcoo
Tue, 12-13-2005, 10:37 AM
What is so racist about calling black people black? If you think that's racist then stop calling white people white, that should be concidered racist to right?
He was originally talking about calling people "gangster," as in, "I hate it when people act gangster" instead of "I hate it when people act black."

Originally posted by: Rakuen
things that are underrated...Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.
God I miss that game.

PSJ
Tue, 12-13-2005, 10:49 AM
What is racist about saying someone acts gangster? People are too fucking sensitive these days, grow some balls and stop taking everything the worst way possible.

XanBcoo
Tue, 12-13-2005, 11:33 AM
It's not racist to say someone acts gangster. He meant it's racist to say someone is acting "black" when they're acting gangster.

I personally don't see the problem though.

PSJ
Tue, 12-13-2005, 11:43 AM
Well, the "gangster" behaviour is asociated with black people so either term works fine for me, i don't see the problem either.

Terracosmo
Tue, 12-13-2005, 01:16 PM
Not to mention the fact that a multitude of black people (perhaps most prominently famous rappers) take immense pride in their gangster image.

XanBcoo
Tue, 12-13-2005, 02:02 PM
I was under the impression that the gangster image originated with poor black people too. In any case, I'd have to agree bein' "gangsta" is way overrated.

This brings to mind a Carlos Mencia joke (even though I hate the man) that said something like when a white person dresses in baggy clothes and mumbles in gibberish it's called being "homeless" but when a black person does it it's called being a "rapper"

lol, he prolly stole that joke too though.

Carnage
Tue, 12-13-2005, 04:30 PM
Well, i just thought that calling someone (maybe someone white) black even though their not, but just because they are gangsta would be like saying all black people act gangsta. So some black people might be offended cuz alot of black people dont act gangsta and people generalize black people as being gangsta when they say acting black.

Anyway, i wasnt even that serious when i first posted about the racist thing. i dont even think its that bad.

Assertn
Tue, 12-13-2005, 06:39 PM
It's like people being offended by my college basketball team's name "The Braves"
Shit, if white people were associated with bravery, I'd consider that a compliment.

Uchiha Barles
Wed, 12-14-2005, 03:37 AM

Originally posted by: Uchiha Barles
and there's a study on how ugly people are least likely to get promoted than pretty people. what's that -ism called?

I haven't the slightest clue, sorry. I'm pretty sure there's a term for that too though. Social scientists (scientists in general) like to name everything for reference sake.

Well, the "gangster" behaviour is asociated with black people so either term works fine for me, i don't see the problem either.

Its associated with being black because that is the image that sells and is presented to make money, but its not the image that represents the majority of black people, even in inner city neighborhoods, making it a racist and fallacious generalization.