PDA

View Full Version : Question about all Naruto characters

The Heretic Azazel
Fri, 12-02-2005, 10:26 PM
why do they always run with their arms behind them? Is it more efficient? I can't think of an explanation.

DB_Hunter
Fri, 12-02-2005, 10:29 PM
Probably easier to draw straigth arms than arms which are constantly swinging back and forth.

Psyke
Fri, 12-02-2005, 10:53 PM
Just a tidbit: This did not start in Naruto...... all the ninjas from the old movies/animations decades ago always ran like that. It's sort of a ninja trademark trait now.

LaZie
Fri, 12-02-2005, 11:04 PM
Maybe they run with their arms flying back so they can reach their weapons faster or scratch their ass. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Divinity
Fri, 12-02-2005, 11:35 PM
Not just ninjas, but they run like that in DBZ too. (EX: when Goku tries to capture Bubbles up in King Kai's place.)

I don't know why they run like that but.... Maybe it's more aerodynamic so they go faster or something.

Dunpar
Fri, 12-02-2005, 11:49 PM
yea is could be more aerodynamic but i think that thay use less energy if thay dont bother with moving ther arms back and forth,,,,, and yay it could help them reach ther wepons faster

Assertn
Sat, 12-03-2005, 12:35 AM
I've been in a discussion about this once before. I'm almost positive the explanation was partly because its cheaper to animate a character running with their arms static than moving side to side. The style sorta stuck, so even higher budget animation will often have this effect.

Even sonic the hedgehog does this, so its not just a ninja thing.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 12-03-2005, 12:39 AM
Aerodynamics was the correct answer.

Most people need to swing their arms when they run as a matter of maintaining balance. Presumably, if you have the agility of a ninja you don't need your arms to balance, so you can keep your arms swept back for less wind resistance.

Master_Shikamaru
Sat, 12-03-2005, 02:41 AM
You're all wrong! It's a matter of physics!
The power of a strike (like a punch) is determined by the speed at which you attack. The more space your arm has to accelerate, the faster it will be when it reaches it's destination. Therefore, if you keep your arms very far back, you will be able to propell them forward over a greater distance and acheive a higher velocity.
Anywho...I used to be in Taekwon-do and that was one of the principles we used for proper technique. I have honestly NO idea if it holds true in this situation.

el_boss
Sat, 12-03-2005, 03:02 AM
It's because they run so fast that the massive wind resistance forces their arms to be swept back.

TruthofMistake
Sun, 12-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Well since everyones coming up with new theories here's another: They run with their arms swept back like that because, if you'll notice they're usually leaning forward as they run and it helps them to keep their balance by throwing more weight behind them and moving their center of gravity to a more appropriate place. As to why they lean forward I dunno maybe to cut wind resistance and make a smaller target?

XanBcoo
Sun, 12-04-2005, 06:02 PM
I was trying to find Terra's comment of that one screen shot..."Run like the wind, faggot warriors!' which would have been highly relevant, but I think it was in the 156 discussion, which was deleted.

masamuneehs
Sun, 12-04-2005, 06:22 PM
There are numerous reasons why, and I'm doing a Top 5 for this.

Top 5 Reasons why Naruto characters run with their arms behind their backs:
1. It's cheaper! (Cash is king people. Don't underestimate the miserly cheapos' determination to cut costs)

2. Master Shikamaru's point. Arms back can be used to deliver a more powerful first strike or throw. It is also harder to predict the angle of attack from that arm position. On the con side, because the arm is so far back, the strike is slower (simply a larger distance to cover), giving the enemy opportunity to block/parry.

3. Aerodynamics. They are running really fast already, i guess they don't need the extra momentum (or balance) provided by swinging the arms back and forth. Although... for guys like Chouji and other "bungler" types I would imagine they'd be a little slow/unbalanced and would need to swing their arms... Also, maybe the high speed does cause the arms to get pushed back. I'm no physicist (sp?)...

4. Its just one of those anime traditions. Why does raising energy levels cause the ground to float upwards and defy gravity? How can enemy mobile suit pilots talk to each other amidst a raging battle, through sheets of metal, in the void of space, when no military would ever share a frequency with their foe? How does their hair stay so perfect all the time? How come the guys look so girly? How come a main character at some point in a series 'dies' only to return to the battlefield episodes later? Why do they draw the girls' boobs so disproportionatly bigger than their tiny waists could ever suppport? Why the fuck isn't Kira Yamato dead? Answer: Anime tradition.

5. God made ninjas retarded. He gave them super speed, stealth, precision and endurance, but He forbids them from using their arms whilst running. Amen.

Terracosmo
Sun, 12-04-2005, 07:19 PM
I hope that the point is to make people laugh, because everything else would be a complete failure.

Originally posted by: XanBcoo
I was trying to find Terra's comment of that one screen shot..."Run like the wind, faggot warriors!' which would have been highly relevant, but I think it was in the 156 discussion, which was deleted.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/joshuajerand/bscap031.jpg

Run like the wind, faggot warriors!

DarthEnderX
Sun, 12-04-2005, 08:43 PM
Amen brother. Amen.

Carnage
Sun, 12-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by: Terracosmo
I hope that the point is to make people laugh, because everything else would be a complete failure.

Originally posted by: XanBcoo

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/joshuajerand/bscap031.jpg

Run like the wind, faggot warriors!

LMAO. bet you they think theyre airplanes.

XanBcoo
Sun, 12-04-2005, 10:00 PM
That's the one XD

I dunno, I think that style of running can be cool sometimes, but as with anything can look dumb if overused.

Inazuma
Mon, 12-05-2005, 10:20 AM
Even Sagara Souske run like that. See end of Ep 5 Season 1

chet_chetty
Mon, 12-05-2005, 04:09 PM
I suggest everyone try it at least once cuz it's funny.

Mr Squiggles
Mon, 12-05-2005, 05:16 PM
I already have ^.^ It is kinda fun, but the problem is that it is hard to stop quickly if theres a tree or something in the way =p. But yeah, if you do try, make sure you are in an isolated environment, like in the middle of the woods or something, as if other people other than hardcore anime fans see you doing this you will most probably get your ass kicked.

Me and my friend like to call it the "anime run". as mentioned before, naruto is not the only anime that does this: Inuyasha does it quite often too, in fact a hell of a lot. Also in the the game "jade empire", there is somewhat of a variation of it, when you focus run you have one arm in front and the other behind, and I think it looks a little cooler that way.

el_boss
Mon, 12-05-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by: chet_chetty
It feels like you run extremely fast if you have your arms back and lean forward alot. It also feels like you are going to fall over and mash your face, but that hardly ever happens.

dbznaruto
Mon, 12-05-2005, 05:37 PM
hi

Dont make shit posts that dont contribute anything.

Gotwoot Moderator

Kraco
Mon, 12-05-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by: el_boss

It feels like you run extremely fast if you have your arms back and lean forward alot. It also feels like you are going to fall over and mash your face, but that hardly ever happens.

"Hardly ever", but not never? Just how many times did you fall and mash your face, whilst trying it out?

Carnage
Mon, 12-05-2005, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by: dbznaruto
hi

hii/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Read shitpost comment above.

Gotwoot Moderator

el_boss
Mon, 12-05-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by: Kraco

Originally posted by: el_boss

"Hardly ever", but not never? Just how many times did you fall and mash your face, whilst trying it out?
I have never fallen, but that is because I own at everything. I meant that lesser beings might trip, muhahahaha.

dbznaruto
Mon, 12-05-2005, 06:56 PM
i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Read shitpost comment above.

Gotwoot Moderator

darkmetal505
Mon, 12-05-2005, 07:56 PM
the ninja's are trying to evolve their kind. Everyone knows if you run with your arms back, you'll eventually grow wings.

masamuneehs
Mon, 12-05-2005, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by: God#2

hi

hi

Fuck off you two. Mother fucking garbage posting brainless-bakas... It wasn't clever. It wasn't funny. It's just fucking annoying.

Normally I'd be nice and extend a nice "Hello" to the newcomer, but this one's obviously not worth crap. And he's got fucking Dragonball shit all over him, fucking smelling this place up like a back alley in gutter-trash Saigon.

on topic: I tried to walk around today without moving my arms, nobobdy, nobody commented on it, really sort of disappointing. I also didn't really notice any increase in speed or anything when I ran (albeit briefly).

Carnage
Mon, 12-05-2005, 08:36 PM
I think it only works if you running.

ChaosK
Mon, 12-05-2005, 08:38 PM
i think it only works if ur running and jumping so that the background moves behind you....

Ero-Fan
Mon, 12-05-2005, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by: masamuneehs
Fuck off you two. Mother fucking garbage posting brainless-bakas... It wasn't clever. It wasn't funny. It's just fucking annoying.

Normally I'd be nice and extend a nice "Hello" to the newcomer, but this one's obviously not worth crap. And he's got fucking Dragonball shit all over him, fucking smelling this place up like a back alley in gutter-trash Saigon.

on topic: I tried to walk around today without moving my arms, nobobdy, nobody commented on it, really sort of disappointing. I also didn't really notice any increase in speed or anything when I ran (albeit briefly).

I agree with you masa, people should read the rules before posting.
In Official Rules Section: 14. No worthless or low content posts: For example, "hi", "lol", "hahah", "too long, didn't read" "owned", or anything that has no real contribution to the thread are not necessary. If you don't have anything significant to say or if you're not gonna follow the rules of the thread, don't post.

Back to the arms; I think they only move their arms when they need to go fast. In the Zabuza arc, Naruto and Sasuke pump their arms while trying to escape from Haku's mirrors. Maybe they just do it to conserve their stamina. Lazy ninjas.

Edit: What the hell? For some reason it wouldn't let me quote your whole post... Oh, well. Look up i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Assertn
Mon, 12-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by: masamuneehs

A little off-topic, but here's a fun thing i noticed a little while back. Whenever a person walks, they always extend forward the arm opposite of the leg they extend forward. You can force yourself to oppose this easy enough, but I wonder why people naturally do that.

Is it a subconscious attempt to maximize balance?
Is it a bi-product of physics acting on the subtle rotations of the pelvis/spine due to moving one leg forward and one leg back?

XanBcoo
Mon, 12-05-2005, 10:43 PM
It's probably the 2nd that affects the 1st.

We are built in such a way that we naturally move how it is the easiest for us to do so. I would think the physics associated with our walking are there to help us maximize our balance.

Yukimura
Tue, 12-06-2005, 01:41 PM
Putting arms behind your back and leaning forward definately makes you feel like your running faster. I also did an experiment with a friend where they walked ahead of me and I leaned forward while moving, it felt like my legs covered more distance and I did catch up pretty quickly.

Anyway, one of my friends saw the Naruto kids running like that and has been completely obssesed with it since then. Maybe part of the reason they do it is so kids can feel like they're acting like ninjas without throwing around some of those solid metal kunai they sell in Japan.

Assertn
Tue, 12-06-2005, 02:24 PM
I believe the point of pumping your arms side to side while running though, is to maximize the circulation of oxygen through your system. I could be wrong, but if that's the case, then running with your arms still behind your back would only be practical for people with really high cardiovascular. Like ninjas.

tali/spetz
Tue, 12-06-2005, 05:34 PM
Well if you think about it, your right brain controls the left foot and vice-versa. It goes for arms and legs too. I bet also most of those peoples are righty's when they write as well or lefty's.

The whole arm thing probably has to do witht eh fighting technique because, Drill instructor taught us some tai-jutsu and it seems less kick oriented than other forms and styles of fighting. The aerodynamic is a possibility, i don't know. But anyways I'm gonna ask him about it.

Assertn
Tue, 12-06-2005, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by: tali/spetz
Well if you think about it, your right brain controls the left foot and vice-versa. It goes for arms and legs too. I bet also most of those peoples are righty's when they write as well or lefty's.

If you're implying that the your arm movement correlates to your leg movement because of the two brain hemispheres, then shouldnt your right arm imitate your right leg, instead of vice versa?

DarthEnderX
Wed, 12-07-2005, 12:59 AM
It should but it doesn't. There's a crossover in your lower spine.

Mr Squiggles
Wed, 12-07-2005, 02:53 AM
biology shmiology,... obviously the gnomes are at the bottom of all this...
The sneaky little devils are everywhere I tell you...

Basnof
Wed, 12-07-2005, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure
A little off-topic, but here's a fun thing i noticed a little while back. Whenever a person walks, they always extend forward the arm opposite of the leg they extend forward. You can force yourself to oppose this easy enough, but I wonder why people naturally do that.

Is it a subconscious attempt to maximize balance?
Is it a bi-product of physics acting on the subtle rotations of the pelvis/spine due to moving one leg forward and one leg back?

All the speculation about why you walk like this do have some validity, but yeah, the main reason is simply for balance. For humans it's just the way we were shaped to walk smoothly, but for four legged animals, it really helps them a lot with balance. Think of a table with two legs on one side angled forward and the other two legs angled back. This table can be tipped over easily. But, with the right legs both coming towards the middle of the body at the same time, and the left legs both going away from it, it makes sort of a tripod. And if you haven't learned about it already, triangles are extremely stable and strong :)

Aerodynamics combined with the comment about the legs covering more distance per sweep is definitely the advantage of this running style that makes it a lot faster if done right. The disadvantage (and I know this from experience :P) is that you can't manuever as well, and at top speeds with this running style, slowing down/stopping can be very difficult to pull off without crashing and burning. The arms are a desperate attempt at balance. If you try running like that without your arms back the only way to stop/slow down is to either kiss the pavement hard, or run into a wall. I used to run without my arms back as a child for the "danger" fun but luckily anime came around and enlightened me to the beauty of safe fun. The ninjas run like this all the time because they are l33t enough to overcome the disadvantages :P

Giboc
Wed, 12-07-2005, 07:47 AM
I really doubt that Aerodynamics is the answer...

Has anyone here watched the Olympics? No one runs with their arms back.
Honestly, it's probably more time efficient to draw the arm in the same position rather than to animate a moving arm.

el_boss
Wed, 12-07-2005, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by: Giboc
I was just thinking about that. How awesome would it be to see someone run like that? "Very" is the answer.

Terracosmo
Wed, 12-07-2005, 08:49 AM
I hate that "right brain controls the left part of the body" stuff, it's hell when you are a drummer i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif
Half the time is spent getting rid of those annoying natural body actions.

Divinity
Wed, 12-07-2005, 02:01 PM

Honestly, it's probably more time efficient to draw the arm in the same position rather than to animate a moving arm.

Eh... It's not that much harder to draw the arms moving.

Ero-Fan
Wed, 12-07-2005, 03:20 PM
You know what? Its a sad, sad day when the most active thread in an anime's forum is about why the characters might or might not move their arms. Guess it can't be helped with these fillers being what they are, huh?
Edit: I'm telling ya, its laziness. I wouldn't move my arms if I didn't have to to run either. And I wouldn't draw them moving if I could get away with it as well.

death-wing
Wed, 12-07-2005, 06:19 PM
no way it's lazieness, trust me, i actually tried it a while back, and it actually kinda hurts to run like that with ur arms that far back. by that pic of lee naruto and ten ten though, it looks to me like if they run fast enough, mabey the can fly or at least glide like squirls, mabey thats why they can jump so far, bcuz fast and wingy arms? who knows

mr3vi1m0nk3y
Wed, 12-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by: Divinity

Eh... It's not that much harder to draw the arms moving.

yeah it is. the animators would then have to draw each frame with the arms in a different position instead of just having them in a fixed position. it may not seem like much but it does allow for quicker animation especially when they have to draw thousands of frames per eps

Giboc
Wed, 12-07-2005, 08:09 PM
...And now that I think about it, when they are rushing to get to some location, they don't "run." They "jump." And arms moving back and forth when jumping would look silly. The position of the arms while running are drawn like so to keep it consistent.

Assertn
Fri, 12-09-2005, 12:49 PM
yeah....take some running scenes and imagine them moving their arms back and forth.

9 times out of 10 it'll look really dumb

anbu41
Sat, 12-10-2005, 05:34 AM
Ninja's are supposed to be DIFFERENT than normal citizens. Watch how the normal people run, and they'll run with swinging arms. This is because their body LEARNED how to run that way. Ninjas, running in the way that they do, show that they have control of their bodies and its actions.

I dunno, I made that up.