PDA

View Full Version : Manga: Yotsubato

XanBcoo
Fri, 12-02-2005, 12:27 PM
Anyone else read this? It's by the same guy who did Azumanga Daioh. The story is less like a comic strip and not as episodic. It's about a guy and his daughter (Yotsuba, a Chiyo-chan clone) who have just moved into a new neighborhood. It's really funny, and has carries the same charm that a lot of Kiyohiko Azuma's work does.

I've only read the first volume produced in English by ADV and goes by "Yotsuba&" (to = and). Does anyone know where I can download other chapters?

Edit: The Japanese covor for Volume 1:
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8469/yotsubato01004xq.jpg

bagandscalpel
Fri, 12-02-2005, 02:01 PM
Ehh? What the...?

Is that Marona?

*Ahem* Anyway, what's the flavor of this title? (i.e. Azumanga = school)

XanBcoo
Fri, 12-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by: bagandscalpel
*Ahem* Anyway, what's the flavor of this title? (i.e. Azumanga = school)

Originally posted by: XanBcoo
It's about a guy and his daughter who have just moved into a new neighborhood.
That's literally the premise of the story. The rest is just "adventures" (learning about air conditioners, going cicada hunting, going shopping, etc.) that Yotsuba has after meeting her neighbors - a family with 3 daughters.

If anyone has seen or read Azumanga Daoih, the comedy is VERY similar, but like I said, doesn't have that "comic strip" format that Azumanga had. I highly recommend this manga if you like that kind of comedy.

Ryllharu
Fri, 12-02-2005, 02:36 PM
Pretty standard slice of life, just like Azumanga Daioh, but small town instead of school.

All the best parts of Chiyo abuse, all over again i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

I really liked the end of the first volume though. "That girl's able to enjoy anything and everything. Yotsuba is invincible." It's a really good outlook on life if you can accomplish it.

I also really liked how her father was scaring her off with the bird balloon at the deptartment store.

A good Azumanga moment appears in volume two. Fuuka is wearing a shirt with Chiyo's "Daddy" on it, and some other girl tells her she has horrible fashion sense.

XanBcoo
Sat, 12-03-2005, 11:32 PM
lol, those parts are good.

I think one of my favorite chapters so far is where that bird balloon makes a return. Ena's friend Miura wears it over her head, confuses Yotsuba's dad, and then makes Yotsuba scream like mad and run around in fear. Then Ena shows Miura the turtle they caught earlier, making Miura scream. Yotsuba continues to scream as she whacks a shreiking Miura with Ena's teddy bear, and rips it, making Ena scream. By the end they're all screaming and it shows Asagi (the eldest daughter) on the beach enjoying the quiet. I laughed out loud at that chapter.

Honoko
Sun, 12-04-2005, 12:02 AM
my only hope is waiting to see if BN carries this title? no one's found a dl site for it yet? i LOVED azumanga daioh.... both the manga and the anime....

XanBcoo
Sun, 12-04-2005, 12:22 AM
The first two volumes have been released by ADV in English and should be available at any bookstore that carries manga. I looked around and it seems the person who did the scans and translations took the downloads down after the manga was licensed here. If anyone's desperate to read it, I have the scans of the first 3 volumes that a friend sent me (not ADV's translation). So I can direct send those over aim/msn/yahoo/whatever. Just pm me. The whole thing is just hilarious so far.

Another favorite bit of mine (Yotsuba, her dad, and their neighbor):
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/3257/yotsubato07113db.jpg
hahahaha

EDIT: Here are the first three volumes (26 chapters and an extra) I uploaded to yousendit: Yotsuba& vol. 1-3 (http://s44.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2XSEFJXFCS9RC01V2GAO3IMH29). Enjoy.

Honoko
Thu, 12-08-2005, 12:12 AM
this manga is awesome!!! yotsuba is my new favorite 6-yr-old character!! (previously held position was yuzu from aishiteruze baby). donmai donmai!! hahahahahha i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

XanBcoo
Sat, 04-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Bump.

I found an awesome site hosting every single volume, and keeps up-to-date with chapter releases:

http://www.4chan.biz/

Seriously, if anyone hasn't already read Yotsuba&, I highly recommend it.

animus
Sat, 04-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Yea, i read up to the most current scanlations about 2 days ago. This has to be the funniest manga I've read. I also like it when Yotsuba and her dad does the happy dance. Need moarrr

XanBcoo
Sat, 04-14-2007, 02:20 PM
Something else from the site:

Yotsuba Image Album download (http://www.4chan.biz/music/CD01.html)

Basically it's a bunch of songs from the Yotsuba& "soundtrack". Funny that they have all this music for it, yet there's still no talk of a Yotsuba anime :(.

Still, I like the music. It's very reminiscent of Azumanga Daioh.

Honoko
Sat, 04-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Can you believe someone neg-repped me for my avatar? Damage: hurt feelings and -1 =P

Ryllharu
Sat, 04-14-2007, 06:08 PM
I really love Yotsubato. More than Azumanga Diaoh so far. It's one of the few series that has actually made me laugh aloud while reading it.

I really love when the other characters trick her into thinking something that everyone else knows is blatantly false. I also really like when she 'fights' her arch-nemesis, her father's former co-worker (I forget his name, the one who always steals food from her). Always good times with the 5 years old "from way to the left" (is she supposed to be a Half?).

My all time favorite part has been when she had to wear the punishment board around her neck.

animus
Sat, 04-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Haha, yea that guy's name is Yasuda I think. I remember when they're building the cardboard and he's messing with Yotsuba Jumbo and Yotsuba's Dad are all like "Yea, he's hopeless."

XanBcoo
Sat, 04-14-2007, 09:16 PM
You mean Yanda?

I loved the chapter when they introduced him, and he and Yotsuba were fighting. It ended up with Yotsuba yelling "Poo poo poo! You're eating poo!" while he was trying to eat, which is something I totally used to do, so it made me laugh for a good 10 minutes.

There's also a bunch of edited pages from the comics that are hilarious. This is my favorite:
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/3280/toasterstrudelar5.jpg