PDA

View Full Version : The Mark of D

el_boss
Tue, 11-29-2005, 06:43 AM
I have been thinking about this for a while now and I wanted to see if anyone else could shed some light on this subject.

So far we have seen four Ds: Monkey D. Luffy, Porthogas D. Ace, Marshall D. Teach (Blackbeard) and Gol D. Roger. What is the connection between these people? Obviously they are all pirates and they have somewhat similar facial features (they all have black hair as well). Could they all be related by blood somehow?

We have never seen Luffy's mother, nor his father. Is it possible that Roger is his father? Also when Luffy hears about his grandfather he gets very uncomfortable. Could this have some connection to Roger?

I have not read the manga, so please warn if you are about to reveal some super big spoilers.

Carnage
Tue, 11-29-2005, 07:08 AM
Marshall D. Teach? Ive read the manga and dont recall that name. When do they mention the actual name? Anyway, back on topic, i think that yes, they are all related, considering their smiles are the same and thier hairstyles are similiar.

el_boss
Tue, 11-29-2005, 07:19 AM
Blackbeard = Marshall D. Teach

The guy that tried to get Luffy right before the knock up stream.

kAi
Tue, 11-29-2005, 08:45 AM
This is all upto opinion and discussion at the moment. Although personally I think there is some relation, or it could just be to make us think they are, heh.

Coriandria
Tue, 11-29-2005, 03:06 PM
For Reference I have watched the anime only up to 149 and I have not read the manga.

There very well may be a relation between them or it might have to do with Japanese Animators liking the letter D. Kinda of like how we add Xs to make a name sound cooler. That's why there are so many shows (ex. Initial D) and movies (ex. Vampire Hunter D) and characters (ex. in Petshop of Horrors Count D) that have Ds in it. There may be a connection or it might just be coincidence. We'll have to wait and see I guess

Deblas
Tue, 11-29-2005, 03:16 PM
It's no coincidence. There is a relation between them. Dr. Kureha and Robin both have talked about the will of D. while Aokiji actually mentioned Luffy's grandfather who apparently caused trouble for the marines while Luffy freaked out when he mentioned him. Ohh yes, he's hiding something.

Carnage
Tue, 11-29-2005, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by: el_boss
Blackbeard = Marshall D. Teach

The guy that tried to get Luffy right before the knock up stream.

OOOOOh!

Sidenote: Deblas is right.

Zhan
Tue, 11-29-2005, 11:05 PM
Hm...Aokiji killed Luffy's grandfather is that right?

Munsu
Tue, 11-29-2005, 11:31 PM
No...

6Zabuza9
Wed, 11-30-2005, 12:59 AM
wild guess and 99% wrong. luffy and ace are brothers, roger grandfather, and blackbeard is luffy's dad's brother? something like that if they were related. and thier probably not related except luffy and ace

el_boss
Wed, 11-30-2005, 06:28 AM
@Zhan: I think it was quite the opposite. Luffy's grandfather saved Aokiji's life. Because he says something like "I owed your grandfather".

@6Zab: Interesting theory. But it seems a little wierd that Blackbeard would betray his nephews, first Ace when leaving the whitebeards and the going after Luffy for his bounty. Actually we don't really know if Luffy and Ace are really brothers, eventhough they say it there might be more to it. As for Roger being their grandfather, why would Luffy be ashamed of his grandfather if it was Roger?

Maybe the D stands for Devil or Demon or something and they aren't even human. Maybe that's why we haven't seen Luffy's parents, because he doesn't have any.

Carnage
Wed, 11-30-2005, 07:04 AM

Maybe the D stands for Devil or Demon or something and they aren't even human. Maybe that's why we haven't seen Luffy's parents, because he doesn't have any.

I dont think Luffy orAce are that bad.i/expressions/rolleye.gif

el_boss
Wed, 11-30-2005, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by: God#2

I dont think Luffy orAce are that bad.

I didn't mean that they are evil. I mean't that hey might have been spawned or created.

6Zabuza9
Wed, 11-30-2005, 04:23 PM
maybe everyone's d stands for a different word. for luffy it's dumb i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif, blackbeard devilish, roger divine?, and ace ummmm dexterous?. and who knows if blackbeard was thier uncle he might have something against luffy's dad

Stoopider
Tue, 12-06-2005, 12:24 PM
All happy family of crazy nuts. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Kyubi no Kitsune
Wed, 12-21-2005, 09:35 PM
eh.. actually about D. Something interesting i thought of, back when they were about to go into the grand line.. when they stopped at the place with Gol D Roger was executed, remember how they got away? with the help of Dragon (I believe his real name is D ragon.. but would that just be too obvious?) I believe he has something to do with it as well.. of course, im just speculating here. Ive also thought that perhaps D stands for Dragon and its that guys will.. but that would just seem a bit too obvious.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 12-22-2005, 04:50 AM
Based on what Aokiji said, it seems pretty reasonable that Gold Roger is Luffy's grandfather.

With Ace being Luffy's brother, it's a pretty safe bet that Blackbeard is also a decendent of Roger. Though he could be anything from son, to grandson via a different son than Luffy's father(making him Luffy's cousin).

el_boss
Thu, 12-22-2005, 04:55 AM
@Kyubi: Interesting, that's actually not entirely impossible.

@Darth: If it was Roger Aokiji was talking about, then why would Luffy get so upset by the mere mention?

Stoopider
Thu, 12-22-2005, 06:41 AM
I think the "D" is part of a special project.

In which 2 drivers, Takumi and Ryosuke take on other drivers in a downhill race from the rest of Japan without ever losing.

I'm not too sure what the "D" represent though.

Hope this clear things up. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

<Joke Joke>

DarthEnderX
Fri, 12-23-2005, 05:00 PM
@Darth: If it was Roger Aokiji was talking about, then why would Luffy get so upset by the mere mention?

Maybe Luffy doesn't want people to know he's the grandson of Gold Roger for some reason.

Wouldn't that be awsome? If after all this time Luffy actually had something mysterious going on? That would be a total mindfuck.

Or perhaps he wants to become Pirate King completely on his own merit and is afraid that if people know he's Roger's grandson they'll think its simply fate for him to inherit it. But he'd rather grab it for himself see! Cause that's what being a pirate is all about!

Deblas
Fri, 12-23-2005, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by: DarthEnder

Maybe Luffy doesn't want people to know he's the grandson of Gold Roger for some reason.

Wouldn't that be awsome? If after all this time Luffy actually had something mysterious going on? That would be a total mindfuck.

Luffy does have something mysterious going on. We don't know anything about Luffy's past and family except for Ace. And he seems to want to hide it considering how he reacted towards what Ao kiji told him. He also has something to do with the D name. How mysterious can you get?

Jadugar
Mon, 12-26-2005, 09:54 PM
I am guessing Luffy's past will be revelead at the end of the series but the series does have a lot of things that are unexplained at the moment.

Luffy's past
Robin's past
Whitebeard and blackbeard
Shanks's backstory

All thes secrets make it more exciting and keep me interested in OP. May it continure forever. *sigh*

Carnage
Tue, 12-27-2005, 11:36 AM
In the back of my head im always wishing that we're only about 50 - 65% through the series. But *sigh* If the series did go on forever then we'd get bored of it. You want the series to end with a good image of it.