PDA

View Full Version : Decided to break out the PSX and play RPG's

GhostKaGe
Sun, 11-27-2005, 05:11 PM
Im in the mood for rpg's and with the story based rpg taking a turn for the worst in recent times i decided it was time for the PSone to come out of the closet. With this in mind i thought a thread dedicated to providing people(i.e ME) with rpg's worth playing unlike the endless stream of of generic MMORPG's that are taking over the world

Heres the games i currently have

Chrono Cross
Legend of Dragoon
Suikoden 1 - 2
Vagrant Story
Wild Arms 1 - 2
Xenogears
And the Final Fantasy series

Unfortunatley ive played them all to death and while i can play many of them over and over again i feel like something i havn't already played is much needed

Is it just me or is anyone else fed up with the endless stream MMORPG's. I don't hate them i just find them all to be the same but with differant fees. I need games that actually have some form of goal and not just pointless leveling, mind numbing quests and anoying pricks who think LEETspeak is cool

masamuneehs
Sun, 11-27-2005, 05:34 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics. If that's not one of the PSX RPG's you have then you had best get on your horse and go find it. It is one of the best FF's out there.

I'd also recommend the Lunar series. Pretty crappy graphics and can be sorta "Meh" at times, but I enjoyed it!

Ever play Parasite Eve? Sorta like Resident Evil meets RPG. Pretty darn fun.

SaGa Frontier series never did it for me, but some of my friends really loved it.

Then you also have Tactics Ogre and the Tales of Destiny series.

el_boss
Sun, 11-27-2005, 05:43 PM
I recently had one of these episodes where I played the ass of all my RPGs. I think I started with Vagrant Story which is fucking awesome. If you play it on PS2 and turn on the texture enhancing thingy even the graphics get good. Then I played FF7 for the 100:th time or something and maxed everything and killed everything. Then came the true challenge, FFX, but I made it. Maxed almost everything except god damned luck and killed everything except Penance, that guy is fucking impossible if you don't max out luck. Funny thing though all my chars had their max HP around 1500-2000, you don't need more.

I have never played a MMO so I can't answer that question.

Assertn
Sun, 11-27-2005, 07:18 PM
I'm thinking of starting up earthbound

Terracosmo
Sun, 11-27-2005, 07:25 PM
For the love of GOD GET VALKYRIE PROFILE NOW!!!

edit: And Star Ocean 2

ChaosK
Sun, 11-27-2005, 08:08 PM
im playing star ocean 3, do i need to play the other star oceans to know whats going on?

Phoenix20578
Sun, 11-27-2005, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by: Chaoskiddo
im playing star ocean 3, do i need to play the other star oceans to know whats going on?

No, but I love the battle system in 3. It is one of the best by far.

mage
Sun, 11-27-2005, 08:48 PM
xenogears
grandia
legend of legaia

Terracosmo
Sun, 11-27-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by: Chaoskiddo

No, but you should sell it and buy Star Ocean 2 instead.

Shuurai
Sun, 11-27-2005, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by: Terracosmo

All the best ones have been mentioned but i would second Valkyrie Profile. Im playing it through at the moment and it's without a doubt one of the best i've ever played.

Terracosmo
Sun, 11-27-2005, 10:05 PM
VP not only has an amazing battle system and story, it also has a pretty rich replayability (different endings, modes, characters, dungeons, voice collection) and most of all - GREAT characters. The atmosphere in that game is stunning. The way the music mixes with the dark theme of it (you play a valkyrie who recruits dying souls to your ranks to join you in Asgard - the land of gods in norse mythology, basically) is outstanding beyond words. Definitely one of the best games I've played.

Phoenix20578
Sun, 11-27-2005, 10:16 PM

I can only find Star Ocean 1 i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

EDIT: The first one looks awsome, but I wanted the Second one also

Terracosmo
Sun, 11-27-2005, 10:22 PM
Star Ocean 1 is indeed a good game, but SO2 is definitely the best in the series.
You should try finding an ISO or something at a Supernova-ish site :S

Shuurai
Sun, 11-27-2005, 11:11 PM
Here (http://www.torrentspy.com/download.asp?id=459490)

I still havent played this yet im really behind on everything >.<

Phoenix20578
Sun, 11-27-2005, 11:16 PM
Shuurai, You
Are
Godly!!

i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Terracosmo
Sun, 11-27-2005, 11:25 PM
Indeed

But I still say you should play Valkyrie Profile first i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Assertn
Mon, 11-28-2005, 03:09 AM
whew.....just logged a few hours into earthbound....what a classic game....

i'm also looking forward to mario superstars 2 for DS coming soon

el_boss
Mon, 11-28-2005, 07:19 AM
Has anyone else played "illusion of gaia" aka "illusion of time"? It's sort of similar too Zelda. It's one of my favourite snes games and it's the reason I started playing RPGs even though it's more of an adventure game.

As for Star Ocean, I have only played the one for PS2 "till the end of time". It's is really good, especially the battle-system and the charachter development.

RedX1z
Mon, 11-28-2005, 10:50 AM
lunar 2: eternal blue, the graphics aren't great compared to other game, but everything else is good. the game is good and all, but once you beat it, you won't want to play it again, just keep it as a good memory.

Terracosmo
Mon, 11-28-2005, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by: el_boss
Has anyone else played "illusion of gaia" aka "illusion of time"? It's sort of similar too Zelda. It's one of my favourite snes games and it's the reason I started playing RPGs even though it's more of an adventure game.

I love that game. I played it a long time ago so it's very nostalgic for me. It's similar to Fullmetal Alchemist in the way that it looks very cute and innocent, but actually has the occasional really violent scene. Good game!

Also try Soul Blazer, it's prequel. While it looks pretty dated, it's a fairly involving RPG with a similar battle system.

Uchiha Barles
Mon, 11-28-2005, 11:49 AM
That was one of the many snes games I got acquainted with on emulator that I was lucky enough to play when I was younger. It was one of my favorites, but I didn't get to beat it. I had to wipe my drive clean due to a virus I couldn't get rid of.

Since all the worthy PSX rpgs I can think of have already been mentioned, if you don't mind action rpgs of the legend of zelda type, then I recommend alundra. Good story, great puzzles, difficult gameplay.

Krbadass
Tue, 11-29-2005, 11:19 AM
If anyone would be so nice as to PM me a couple of ps2 rpgs that are similar to final fantasy, but not tactics style, tactics BLEW. I would greatly appreciate it. give me a run down on the story line without spoiling it and a general overview of the games. Thanks in advance.

Terracosmo
Tue, 12-06-2005, 08:36 PM
OMG - Valkyrie Profile 2?

http://img107.imagevenue.com/i...e=d1d_5cdzp_1_70e4.jpg (http://img107.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc298&image=d1d_5cdzp_1_70e4.jpg)

Ryllharu
Tue, 12-06-2005, 08:51 PM
I'm a huge fan of the redone Lunar series rpg's, but Lunar 2: Eternal Blue was a huge disappointment for me.

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete version blows it out of the water completely. Better story, more enjoyable characters, a legitimate ending that's actually achievable, and the bosses are challenging (back when their level was still based off yours) without being impossible (snow monster of Lunar 2 without leveling up for 8 hours).

My other suggestion is another 16bit remake. Final Fantasy Chronicles for my absolute favorite rpg of all time: CHRONO TRIGGER. That's all that needs to be said about that one.

Legend of Legaia was a kinda weird one too. I liked it though, but I never got around to finishing it. I got up to the last boss and kinda got bored (or more likely found another rpg). The combat system was incredibly innovative at the time. You made pre-set combos with the d-pad and created unique moves to destroy the enemies. It's fun just trying to find all the combos.

Nai
Tue, 12-06-2005, 09:52 PM
OMG - Valkyrie Profile 2?

http://img107.imagevenue.com/i...e=d1d_5cdzp_1_70e4.jpg (http://img107.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc298&image=d1d_5cdzp_1_70e4.jpg)
Yes, it's been confirmed and will be out in 2006. I am however a bit concerned...

Some sources are claiming that it will come to PSP ( which I really have no desire to get ) and not PS2. I REALLY hope this is not the case as the original is with ease one of the best RPG's I've ever experienced.

Terracosmo
Wed, 12-07-2005, 01:10 AM
Man, I'll easily buy a PSP for a VP sequel. Even though I hardly know what a PSP is i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Board of Command
Wed, 12-07-2005, 05:23 PM
XENOGEARS = BEST GAME EVER MADE

Terracosmo
Wed, 12-07-2005, 09:19 PM
"Valkyrie Profile 2 Announced
12.07.05 - 1:32 PM

tri-Ace is apparently working on a prequel to the 1999 PlayStation classic Valkyrie Profile. The PlayStation 2-based game which will take place several hundred years before the events of the original game, will carry the title Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria.

Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria will be available in Japan sometime in 2006."

Source: http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2005/2096.html

AWESOME i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif We'll probably get to know why Silmeria was stuck in ice in VP1.
Also we can expect Brahms to be in it since they apparently knew each other.

Nai
Wed, 12-07-2005, 11:20 PM
The PlayStation 2-based game

Hell yes! First I found out that Sezter will be in KH2 and now that VP2 will indeed be for the PS2.

Utterly awesome. Can't wait for this.

Necromas
Wed, 12-07-2005, 11:43 PM
FF7 and FF9 all the way baby, I'm currently playing both.

Shuurai
Thu, 12-08-2005, 03:35 AM
"Valkyrie Profile 2 Announced
12.07.05 - 1:32 PM

tri-Ace is apparently working on a prequel to the 1999 PlayStation classic Valkyrie Profile. The PlayStation 2-based game which will take place several hundred years before the events of the original game, will carry the title Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria.

Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria will be available in Japan sometime in 2006."

Source: http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2005/2096.html

AWESOME We'll probably get to know why Silmeria was stuck in ice in VP1.
Also we can expect Brahms to be in it since they apparently knew each other.

That is excelent news, I hope they dont fuck the story or battle system up.

Terracosmo
Thu, 12-08-2005, 01:34 PM
Speaking of PSX RPGs, I recently realized that since I actually have a PS2 and it's been ages since I replayed FF7 & 8, I went out and bought them both. This is the first time I play them on the PSX, since originally I had them for the PC. They were pretty expensive for old PSX titles, but well worth the pennies!

Krbadass
Thu, 12-08-2005, 07:16 PM
Terra, you should PM me a description of this game your talking about. The first one. Explain the battle system and the walk around system and all that. Is it basically like FF? pm me though

Giboc
Fri, 12-09-2005, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by: BOARD_of_command

One quoting was not enough to depict the truth in his words.

GhostKaGe
Fri, 12-09-2005, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by: Giboc

hell yea

Now someone buy me a new pad so i can finish playin it my X and O buttons don't work i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Giboc
Sat, 12-10-2005, 11:27 PM
Man, Xenogears really needs to be remade. Too bad there will be no plans to do so... i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

masamuneehs
Sun, 12-11-2005, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by: GhostKaGe

Originally posted by: Giboc

hell yea

Now someone buy me a new pad so i can finish playin it my X and O buttons don't work

Correction: Xenogears = BEST GAME EVER half-MADE

IF they'd actually gone through and finished the damn thing (Disc 2!!!! for god's sake!) this game would be my favorite, bar none. Story, characters and themes are totally wicked. One of the deepest games I've seen. The battle system was also pretty nifty (at least the non-Gear fights, Gear battles sorta got old). Upgrading characters and Gears was very enjoyable.

Honestly, can anyone whose played the whole thing say any other game had a better storyline?

Its just such a shame that they had to rush to finish the game and didn't get to finish it. I mean, the game as it was released was something like 75% complete (DISC FRIGGIN 2!!!!!)

A remake would make me cream my pants.

I can't get enough of that little kid (in Solaris Apartments) playing with his little toy Gear and yelling "Purge the Lambs! Yeah!" Besides, that game had one of the coolest villians ever, not totally crazy, adequatley motivated, an absolute genius and HE FUCKED WITH GOD. Oh, yes, he is in my sig i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Terracosmo
Sun, 12-11-2005, 12:37 AM
Xenogears also had Billy Lee Black. Nuff said i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif