PDA

View Full Version : The Nostalgic Music Thread

PSJ
Thu, 11-24-2005, 06:10 PM
I came up with this idea just now when i listened to soem music from my childhood. We all have certain songs or bands that you have special memories with. So what songs do you have special fond memories to?

So here's my list of memorable songs.

First up is the entire first Aqua album. I don't know if any of you remember it but it was incredibly popular around 97 or so, at least here in Scandinavia. Everybody owned this record.

Next up is the first metal song ever to interest. Iron Maiden - The Wickerman, i was 12 at this point. The single off of Brave New World, my metal loving cousin played it for me and i never looked back.

Dream Evil - Dragonslayer. The first recommendation i got from the metal guru himself, Terracosmo. I have gotten countless recommendations by him until this day and nothing has been bad.

Now start posting your own memorable songs.

2:25
Thu, 11-24-2005, 06:56 PM
Queen- The Show Must Go On
Beatles- Hey Jude (Childhood)
Areosmith- I Won't Want to Miss a Thing (I remember this song was from the movie Armageddon playing).

Uh... any Spice Girls' songs. They were really big back then. >__>

Terracosmo
Thu, 11-24-2005, 07:29 PM
I will have to say that the single most nostalgic song for me is Tears by X-Japan. I have so many memories with that song. Really, it feels like several years of my life pass by every time I hear it. Among other things I had my first kiss with that song playing. Now that's nice. Other than that, my nostalgic songs are mostly video game soundtracks for Final Fantasy 6 & Chrono Trigger, because I have more precious memories with those games than I have with most other things in life actually. Tunes that will stick in my head until the day I die, for sure.

milfhunter
Thu, 11-24-2005, 07:50 PM
Here's my list of nostalgia in no particular order:

Rusted Root - Send Me On My Way
Kansas - Dust in the Wind
Love Spit Love - Am I Wrong
Oasis - Wonderwall
Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm
Enigma - Return to Innocence
Madonna - La Isla Bonita
Natalie Imbruglia - Smoke
Tupac - Changes
Relient K - Softer To Me
Crazy Town - Butterfly
The Bloodhound Gang - Bad Touch
KMFDM - Mortal Kombat Theme Song
Eiffel 65 - Blue (Da Ba Dee)
Joan Osborne - One Of Us
Fuel - Shimmer
Journey - Don't Stop Believing
Kottonmouth Kings - Peace Not Greed
Mr President - Coco Jumbo
Wheatus - Teenage Dirtbag
La Bouche - Sweet Dreams

Edit: And all past, present, and future Linkin Park albums.

PSJ
Thu, 11-24-2005, 08:23 PM
Okay i need to clarify something. If your memories aren't to personal then share them. Just listing songs does nothing, at least give a brief description.

Assertn
Thu, 11-24-2005, 08:30 PM
These remind me of high school days and some of my closer friends from back then
Staind - It's been a while
Incubus - Drive (of course)
Incubus - A Certain Shade of Green
Savage Garden - To the Moon and Back
Moby - Southside
Haddaway - What is Love
Korn - Freak on a Leash

These remind me of Freshman year of college
Incubus - Stellar
Incubus - Aquaeous Transmission
Massive Attack - Dissolve Girl
System of a Down - Chop Suey!

These remind me of Sophomore year of college
Prodigy - Climbatize
Prodigy - Smack my bitch up

These remind me of Junior year of college
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Can't Stop
Moby - In this World
Hooverphonic - Eden
The Ataris - Boys of Summer

These remind me of Senior year of college
The naruto intro (the sasuke chase one)
Black Eyed Peas - Shut Up

Among many other songs....
Hmm....I'll have to try to come up with some more

DB_Hunter
Thu, 11-24-2005, 08:44 PM
These tracks just bring back random memories:

Robert Miles - Children
Olive - Your not Alone
Madonna - Frozen
Celine Dion - My Heart Will go on
Aqua - Dr Jones
Aqua - Barbie Girl
Sash - Dream
BeeGee's - Stayin Alive
Bonnie Tyler - Holding out for a Hero
Cher - Believe
Coolio - Gangsta's Paradise
Britney Spears - Hit Me Baby one more Time
Britney Spears - Born to Make you Happy
Britney Spears - Oops, I did it again
Eiffel 65 - Blue
Everything But the Girl - Like the Deserts Miss the Rain
Kylie Minogue - On a Night Like this
Mojo - Lady
Planet Perfecto - Bullet in the Gun
All the Rocky Movie Tracks
Shakira - Whenever, Wherever
Shania Twain - That don't impress me Much
Sting - Desert Rose
Sting - I'll be Watching you
Puff Daddy (Sean Combs) - I'll be missing you
R. Kelly - I Believe I can Fly

There are many more, I think the list is long enough already... there are some which are more recent and there are some to which I can remember the tune but not the artist.

Edit: Might I add several DBZ soundtrack tunes... such as the SSJ, SSJ2 and SSJ3 transformations being amongst the ones that bring back memories.

The Heretic Azazel
Thu, 11-24-2005, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by: PSJ
Okay i need to clarify something. If your memories aren't to personal then share them. Just listing songs does nothing, at least give a brief description.

Yes, I would like to know what earth-shattering experience Linkin Park caused in milfhunter's life.

masamuneehs
Thu, 11-24-2005, 09:31 PM
Almost older by Oasis really brings me back to early high school and summer camp.

I always remember my first Mushroom when "Champagne Supernova" comes on and the old Sprain Ridge park they tore down to make a Walmart....
When "Wonderwall" comes on I remember that I had a crush on this one girl who is really just a bitch (and a lesbian. No wonder she never wanted anything to do with me...)

And older Metallica always reminds me of days on the HS football team. We'd always ride on the bus and warm up while listening to "Master of Puppets" "Thing with no Name -maybe wront title-, "Thing that should not be", "The Unforgiven", "Enter Sandman" and "Wherever I Roam"

Board of Command
Fri, 11-25-2005, 12:03 AM
Pretty much every Final Fantasy 7 song.

Turkish-S
Fri, 11-25-2005, 01:32 AM
whitney houston :: I Will Always Love You (dunno why )
notorious big: hypnotize (one of the first songs that introduced me to HH)
Mortal kombat theme (seen the movie a bit too many time's when i was little)

Uchiha Barles
Fri, 11-25-2005, 03:28 AM
November Rain by Guns N' Roses: My introduction to the world of rock n roll at the age of 10. That song still makes me shiver.

Today by the Smashing Pumpkins: This ones kinda funny. At the time, I was a huge GNR and Metallica fan like most budding teenie boppers in suburban Quebec. I was waaaaaaaaay too "tough", way too "metal" for a song by a band called the smashing pumpkins. WTF is a smashing pumpkin anyway? But, I found myself bobbing my head to the catchy tune every time it came on, and everytime I anticipated a REALLY good day on my way to visit friends, on a beautiful and sunny summer afternoon, this is the song that played in my head.

Sober by Tool: This song traumatized my late childhood. I changed the channel everytime it came on. I had nightmares on account of the video for it. I love Tool.

Live to Tell by Madonna: Ok, many of Madonnas songs bring back warm feelings, but I remember this one well. Can't remember just how old I was, but I remember the Karate Kid and The Golden Child were out in theaters. I was walking with my mom, and she decided that we should go to the movies. I soooo wanted to see the Karate Kid, but my mom wanted to see the Golden Child. So I cried like the spoiled brat I was. A car drove by and stopped at a red light near us, and that song was Live to Tell was coming out of the speakers. It made me feel better.

Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper: Somehow, everytime we would go to visit one of my aunts, who at the time was a least favorite, that song would always be playing in the car. It wasn't a CD either, just the radio. Had the soothing effect of Live to Tell.

Nothin' But A 'G' Thang by Dr. Dre: I remember this song playing, quite often, as I walked back from jhs in utter terror. Bullies and whatnot. Stabbings were rather common. Shootings, well, occasional.

Big Poppa by Biggie Smalls: Yeah, got my ass kicked pretty badly while this song was pumping from a radio. Marked the end of my victim days. I love this song.

milfhunter
Fri, 11-25-2005, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by: The Heretic Azazel

Originally posted by: PSJ
Yes, I would like to know what earth-shattering experience Linkin Park caused in milfhunter's life.
Would you? No problem. Hopefully, we can all have a group hug after this. Here you go:

Rusted Root - Send Me On My Way
This song is in the movie Matilda, which I watched a couple million times because it is so awesome. This song also made a cameo in Ice Age, which I also watched a couple million times because it is also so awesome.

Kansas - Dust in the Wind
Anyone seen the movie Old School? Remember Old Blue's funeral? Will Ferrell's character singing Dust in the Wind at his funeral? Hilarious. I watched this movie a couple million times, too.

Love Spit Love - Am I Wrong
This song is from the little known movie Angus, which I watched a couple million times, again.

Oasis - Wonderwall
This song carried the feelings I had for a crush in high school. She was taller and bulkier than I. But she had the cutest, prettiest face. I couldn't even masturbate to her because I went limp every time I thought about her.

Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm
I don't really know. All I know is that I can still listen to this song every day and mellow out to it as much as the first time I heard it, which was during a hectic period of separation between the parents and moving around.

Enigma - Return to Innocence
The tribal chants in this song are representative of how I moan during sex. Tribes have weird dance rituals; I have sex.

Madonna - La Isla Bonita
Madonna's only good song.

Natalie Imbruglia - Smoke
Another good song to mellow out to.

Tupac - Changes
Made me think I was black for a year. I even believed that anything bad that happened to me was all because I'm black. And then I remembered I'm not black. But this is still a bad ass song, especially for a rap song.

Relient K - Softer To Me
There have been countless days where I had this song on repeat and I just listened to the loop over, and over, and over, and over again. Also, Relient K's only good song.

Crazy Town - Butterfly
The music video to this song just made me want to get high and have orgies with nymphs. The song itself is one of the few rap songs I actually made an effort to remember the lyrics of. I even considered getting a girlfriend.

The Bloodhound Gang - Bad Touch
This song is just awesome. I memorized and recited the lyrics to this song in everything I did. The music video, however, is retarded.

KMFDM - Mortal Kombat Theme Song
The theme song of the Mortal Kombat movie (duh). Great stuff.

Eiffel 65 - Blue (Da Ba Dee)
I used to watch the Disney Channel and wait for this song's music video to come on. I was in middle school (or junior high, whatever) so I had nothing better to do. I wonder if the Disney Channel still shows old episodes of Zorro.

Joan Osborne - One Of Us
N/A

Fuel - Shimmer
N/A

Journey - Don't Stop Believing
Great vocals. Great music.

Kottonmouth Kings - Peace Not Greed
N/A

Mr President - Coco Jumbo
N/A

Wheatus - Teenage Dirtbag
N/A

La Bouche - Sweet Dreams
Tiffani Thiessen (or Tiffani Amber-Thiessen) was in a made for TV movie called Sweet Dreams, to which this was the theme song. Oh God, I was hooked. On Tiffani Thiessen, I mean.

And all past, present, and future Linkin Park albums.
Linkin Park has had a huge impact on my life. Their music literally got me through high school. And for that, I will always be a fan. No matter how badly Meteora sucked ass in comparison to Hybrid Theory, I will still always be a fan. The "earth-shattering experience" that Linkin Park caused in my life is that they inspired me to get up every morning and grab the bull by the horns; simple as that. My interest in art, music, and social culture shot up from zero kelvin degrees to the temperature of hot, sweaty sex. My grades improved. My apathy for everything diminished. I used to have no friends, no personality, and no energy. But Linkin Park's music gave me energy and a renewed lust for life. Their music is the reason I don't consider my childhood abysmal.

Edit: And if you want to knock on Linkin Park or my "earth-shattering experience", feel free. Don't expect me to sit back and take it, because as I said, I'm not apathetic anymore.

Originally posted by: DB_Hunter
Britney Spears - Born to Make you Happy

Props to DB_Hunter for listing this song. It's great.

Terracosmo
Fri, 11-25-2005, 09:53 AM
The only thing LP gave me was a headache, but I'm happy for you nontheless since I know better than anyone what wonders music can do for a person. BTW, KMFDM didn't make the Mortal Kombat theme song, they did however perform Juke Joint Jezebel from it's soundtrack.

The Heretic Azazel
Fri, 11-25-2005, 12:10 PM
I wasn't knocking Linkin Park, I like to listen to their songs and cut myself.

Assertn
Fri, 11-25-2005, 12:24 PM
I had a big phase of linkin park in college.....but I think I listened to it to the point of getting sick of the tones of the singers' voices. I still don't mind listening to the reanimation album once in a while though, and the Jay-Z/Linkin Park Numb/Encore song is great

milfhunter
Fri, 11-25-2005, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by: Terracosmo
BTW, KMFDM didn't make the Mortal Kombat theme song, they did however perform Juke Joint Jezebel from it's soundtrack.
Correct you are. It was Utah Saints who made the Mortal Kombat theme song. And thanks.

I wasn't knocking Linkin Park, I like to listen to their songs and cut myself.
Sweet. Glad to hear it. I always get defensive because hating on LP seems like the popular thing these days.

Originally posted by: AssertnFailure
the Jay-Z/Linkin Park Numb/Encore song is great
I second that. I just hope that the next great mash-up Linkin Park does, if they do another, is with Eminem. I've always wanted Linkin Park and Eminem to work on something together, maybe even go on some kind of tour together. Imagine.

Uchiha Barles
Fri, 11-25-2005, 09:12 PM
I've been on the linkin park hating bandwagon ever since there was no one on it.

The Heretic Azazel
Fri, 11-25-2005, 10:18 PM
You have to put a razorblade to your wrist to understand their pain mannnnnn.

Lefty
Sat, 11-26-2005, 03:29 AM
You have to put a razorblade to your wrist to understand their pain mannnnnn.

How bout sticking sewing needles inot my ear drums so I don't have to hear their bad music.

milfhunter
Sat, 11-26-2005, 05:51 AM
Yeah, you should stick sewing needles into your ear drums, anyway. How about actually contributing your own list of nostalgic music instead of shitting all over PSJ's thread? Have some respect.

We've yet to find out what nostalgic music The Heretic Azazel slits his wrists to. What demons are you hiding, mannnnnn? Time to come out of the closet.

Originally posted by: Uchiha Barles
I've been on the linkin park hating bandwagon ever since there was no one on it.
Good for you. You're quite accomplished. Would you like a high five?

Lefty
Sat, 11-26-2005, 01:22 PM
I'm just stating and opinion while there was space for one. Don't go flaming when there is no need for it. You haven't been here for long so you don;t know that people will get off topic then get back on, which you did aswell so don't be a hypocrit. Alos people tend to have these things called opinions. With opinions everyone is entitled to one but don't got flying off the handle when some one says somthing you don't like. You piss alot of people and they end up flaming your ass. If you want a list so bad.

PInk Floyd - Mother
I listen to the Wall album alot back when i was a kid and tended to relate to this song pretty well since my own
mother was like the one in the song.
Smashing Pumkins - Bullet with Butterflywings
I liked the pumkins when i was young. I know i was confussed and missguided
Greenday - Basket Case
This got me hooked to greenday, I played the dookie album so much I wore the cd player out.
Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
Who didn't listen to this song alot during the ninties.

PSJ
Sat, 11-26-2005, 01:36 PM
Okey no more bullshit flaming, take it to PM's if you feel the need to keep it up. If you don't contribute then don't post, everybody got their own taste and you are not superior so stop fucking up my thread. For the record, i detest 80% of the music people got memories to but i don't bash them for it, i even detest some songs i have memories to.

If you want to complain about Linkin Park then make your own thread for that, better yet do a thread for all hate towards music people got so it doesn't appear in other threads.

The Heretic Azazel
Sat, 11-26-2005, 01:37 PM
Elton John - Your Song, Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding

Dream Theater - Home, Pull Me Under

Candlebox - 10,000 Horses

Burzum - Dunkelheit

Alice in Chains - Frogs [In the song, Layne says he'll be dead by 28.. when I was young I had a vision I would die at this age] The whole song has an atmosphere of death; A Little Bitter "My god's a little sick and he wants me crazy. Who are you who can say it's okay to live through me?"

Tool - Parabola "We are eternal all this pain is an illusion"

All little echoed sentiments of my slightly twisted mind.

milfhunter
Sat, 11-26-2005, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by: Lefty
I'm just stating and opinion while there was space for one. Don't go flaming when there is no need for it. You haven't been here for long so you don;t know that people will get off topic then get back on, which you did aswell so don't be a hypocrit. Alos people tend to have these things called opinions. With opinions everyone is entitled to one but don't got flying off the handle when some one says somthing you don't like. You piss alot of people and they end up flaming your ass.

Greenday - Basket Case
This got me hooked to greenday, I played the dookie album so much I wore the cd player out.
Blah blah blah, all I'm hearing is a lot of bitching. Would you like cheese with your whine? Anyway, I shit with my dookie all over Green Day's Dookie and the rest of their albums. No wonder their music stinks so much asshole.

Oh God, you listen to that homosexual? Talk about coming out of the closet ...

Uchiha Barles
Sat, 11-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Shit dude, a couple of "I hate linkin park" comments and all of a sudden you grow a vagina and start bleeding from it? WTF is wrong with you?

milfhunter
Sat, 11-26-2005, 06:13 PM
Heh, and I'm the one called a hypocrite. I can't make a couple of I hate Green Day and Uchiha Barles comments? Yeah. Just shut the fuck up, get on your knees, and eat my vagina while I bleed.

Uchiha Barles
Sat, 11-26-2005, 06:20 PM
No, you can hate whatever band you want and voice your opinion, but you're seriously being combative. If you spoke to me like that to my face, as soon as youd turn around, you could expect a fucking bat to crash right up against your skull.

The Heretic Azazel
Sat, 11-26-2005, 06:21 PM
Man I don't mean to continue this but Linkin Park are 100 times over the fags that Elton John is, so you should take your elitism elsewhere.

I expected more from someone who wants to celebrate Eddie's memory.

milfhunter
Sat, 11-26-2005, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by: Uchiha Barles
you could expect a fucking bat to crash right up against your skull.
And I'm the one being combative? Who's the hypocrite now? Shouldn't you be on your knees?

Man I don't mean to continue this but Linkin Park are 100 times over the fags that Elton John is, so you should take your elitism elsewhere.

I expected more from someone who wants to celebrate Eddie's memory.
I forget when any band member of Linkin Park wore a pink suit with yellow polka dots. Refresh my memory? Speaking of memory, Eddie Guerrero would be loving this shit right now.

The Heretic Azazel
Sat, 11-26-2005, 06:29 PM
Without homosexuals music wouldn't have Halford, either, so you're talking out of your ass. I don't understand people who hate gay people so much. So fucking what? I love music no matter what it is, if it's good, and Elton John's rhythm and piano playing totally kill Linkin Park's constant teenage angst issues.

Uchiha Barles
Sat, 11-26-2005, 06:33 PM
Alright milf, you're clearly a moron, I'm done with you. To the rest of you, I apoligize for my part in sending this thread to the shitter. I'll take a warning for this if some mod sees fit.

milfhunter
Sat, 11-26-2005, 06:36 PM
Blah blah blah, more bitching. Sure you don't have teenage angst issues of your own? I might as well hire Elton John to milk some cows because it looks like I'm going to need a lot of cheese for all this whining.

Edit: Yes, let me fake a moral high ground too and take a warning as any mod sees fit, right after I make four shit posts before I realize it.

PSJ
Sat, 11-26-2005, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by: milfhunter

Originally posted by: Lefty
I'm just stating and opinion while there was space for one. Don't go flaming when there is no need for it. You haven't been here for long so you don;t know that people will get off topic then get back on, which you did aswell so don't be a hypocrit. Alos people tend to have these things called opinions. With opinions everyone is entitled to one but don't got flying off the handle when some one says somthing you don't like. You piss alot of people and they end up flaming your ass.

Greenday - Basket Case
Blah blah blah, all I'm hearing is a lot of bitching. Would you like cheese with your whine? Anyway, I shit with my dookie all over Green Day's Dookie and the rest of their albums. No wonder their music stinks so much asshole.

Oh God, you listen to that homosexual? Talk about coming out of the closet ...

Hey fucktard. Did you miss my post right before Lefty's? Are you a complete idiot? I told everyone to stop and you just keep going?

This stops now, all of you. I don't want my thread to be closed just because three immature morons can't behave like normal people.

Can a mod please deal with this idiocy?

Terracosmo
Sat, 11-26-2005, 09:02 PM
While your bickering is very amusing, I'm gonna have to ask you all to shut the fuck up now.

Lefty
Sat, 11-26-2005, 11:28 PM
Backstreet boys or Nsync (i can't remeber nor care)- Larger than life
this song was played so much jr/sr year i can't remember highschool with out this song playing as part of the sound track and i kinda hate that fact.

at the drive in - one armed sciccor
this was the first band i listen too that nobody else at my school had heard of. Also it got me listening to other kinds of musoic than the hard rock/metal stuff i had fllen into for a year and half.

Blur - Coffee and TV
My dad had the album and i pinched it one day, didn't stop listening to it for like three months, this song the most.

el_boss
Sun, 11-27-2005, 07:33 AM
Korn's album Follow the Leader is what started me on my own path of aquiring my own taste of music.

Tool and A Perfect Circle in general are what helped me trough alot of shitty times during my military service. Also whenever we were driving our truck we almost always listen to Discovery by Daft Punk.

I'm the youngest child in my family, so I grew up hearing my siblings music alot and I think that influenced me alot. I did not like the music at the time but now I am starting to listen to that music. My sister used to listen alot to The Cure, Morrisey/The Smiths, Smashing Pumpkins and such things, alot of depressing shit as you can see.

2:25
Sun, 11-27-2005, 09:04 PM
I'm not a fan of Linkin Park, but I've been to their concert. It was a good show.

Anyway, back on topic:
Nine Inch Nails- Hurt, Radiohead- Creep, and this band called "No Use For a Name". To put it bluntly, there was a dark period in my life where I felt like crap.

This German song called "Perfekte Welie". It was one of the last songs an ex-close friend showed me before he kicked me out of his life. I think it was a hint or something, but I never realized it.

The Cranberries- Zombie, Third Eye Blind- Semi Charmed Life. Reminds me of my teen years.

Does anyone else remember The Cranberries?

Uchiha Barles
Sun, 11-27-2005, 09:10 PM
Yeah, the cranberries were a really good band, but I never bothered to get any of their stuff. At the time they were "big", there were so many other good bands out there that were "bigger", so they did not stick, but thanks for reminding me. The alternative world isn't well populated right now, and that'll give me something to look into.