PDA

View Full Version : MPAA AND BITTORRENT

tali/spetz
Tue, 11-22-2005, 08:51 PM
I guess the MPAA is banding together with Bittorrent to kill the bittorent master search engine to stop illegal downloading of movies and other such BS. Anyways I thought people might wanna' know Im not sure how this will effect downloading of naruto torrents. Also if you want to know more go to torrent spy or some other site and look down to there infomation thing. or just go to this link: here (https://<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href=)">http://torrentfreak.com/btmpaa...in-forces&amp;page=[/S</a>

Moved to General Discussion

Gotwoot Moderator

BioAlien
Tue, 11-22-2005, 10:25 PM
you're new right...:
Working Link (http://torrentfreak.com/btmpaa...-join-forces&amp;page=]http://torrentfreak.com/btmpaa.htm?name=bittorrent-and-mpaa-join-forces&amp;page=)

i didn't even know thats there was a search engine on http://www.bittorrent.com/ , since im only going on http://thepiratebay.org/ lolll

but just a little question... what is MPAA?

and why is this in the naruto section... it doesn't only affect naruto you know...

Strike Freedom
Tue, 11-22-2005, 11:14 PM
doesn't matter to me really, cause they will never be able to get rid of it. If they destroy Bittorrent, something else will come out....just like Napster....RIP

woofcat
Tue, 11-22-2005, 11:27 PM
mpaa - Motion picture Association of America.

kenren
Wed, 11-23-2005, 10:51 AM
ahh...imagine life without animes ... i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

nests
Wed, 11-23-2005, 11:14 AM
I hate the MPAA it is because of them that the studios keep making crappy movies by by protecting them from piracy.
I studios actually put more effort in making better movies people would actually want to go see them at movie theathers and then buy it on DVD
I dont know about you guys but I usally see the movie in my computer and if I like it I actually buy it.

PSJ
Wed, 11-23-2005, 11:22 AM
Wait so they are going to kill off search engines for bittorrent links? What about the actual torrent? They will never be able to take down all torrents on the net unless they kill off the client itself.

And in that link it only says "No posts matched your criteria"

The Heretic Azazel
Wed, 11-23-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by: nests
I hate the MPAA it is because of them that the studios keep making crappy movies by by protecting them from piracy.
I studios actually put more effort in making better movies people would actually want to go see them at movie theathers and then buy it on DVD
I dont know about you guys but I usally see the movie in my computer and if I like it I actually buy it.

I concur completely. Movies are horrible these days, I'm not spending 7 bucks to see those flaming dog turds. no way.

PSJ
Wed, 11-23-2005, 12:02 PM
That's the biggest problem with everything we download be it music or movies. It's to expensive to buy all the movies or cds you like, if they found a way to cut prizes i think sales would increase.

Onineku
Wed, 11-23-2005, 01:18 PM
way to cut prices is to stop illegal downloads so their income prophits would increase because everyone would have to buy it to hear/view/read it and they could then lower the prices as to get more customers in for low pricing and still gain a steady phrofitable income...

btw.. this does not mean im anti-DL

Kraco
Wed, 11-23-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by: Onineku
way to cut prices is to stop illegal downloads so their income prophits would increase because everyone would have to buy it to hear/view/read it and they could then lower the prices as to get more customers in for low pricing and still gain a steady phrofitable income...

Heh heh. Don't listen to official propaganda. Companies lower prices only when competition forces them to lower prices. They don't lower prices if sales are good and income is nice. Quite the contrary, they might even consider raising prices thinking people would still buy the stuff, even if production had no problems to answer the demand.

If they succeeded in killing torrents and forced more people to buy stuff, the bosses and share owners of companies would just pocket more money and be a little happier. That's it.

Assertn
Wed, 11-23-2005, 01:59 PM
If i was George Lucas, I would probably be pissed to see star wars III scattered across the internet weeks before its debut.

I can understand hating the RIAA, since they slap lawsuits on 10 year old lower-class girls and such to protect the outrageous cashflow they are stealing from artists. But what justification do you have to hate the MPAA other than "I don't like the movies that are in theatres right now." That's just a lame excuse, because if you really dislike them, then you shouldn't be downloading them either.

Before anyone calls me a hypocrite, I'll go on the record that I don't really buy movie dvds, mainly because I'm a cheap bastard, but I also don't download many either. My collection of pirated movies can be counted on one hand. I DO enjoy going to the movies alot, and even though it may cost $10 to do so (as opposed to the $6 it used to be years ago...a sign of the effects of movie piracy), I still go out just for the social environment and experience.

Carnage
Wed, 11-23-2005, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by: kenren
ahh...imagine life without animes ...

It would be hell

concur completely. Movies are horrible these days, I'm not spending 7 bucks to see those flaming dog turds. no way.

I agree 210%

I dont know about movies, but when American companies try to dub an anime, they ruin and disgrace the beautiful form of art, just for their fat greedy little hands. They deserve to be cheated.

PSJ
Wed, 11-23-2005, 04:35 PM
I don't think Anime downloads will take that much of a hit, there's still irc.

I see what you are saying Assertn, i also like the social aspect of going to the movies therefore i rarely download movies. But it still is a very expensive way of having fun, since i'm in school and don't get that much money i can't do it too much.

I thought about this subject a few days ago and what if MPAA partnered up with the internet suppliers and charge extra for every downloaded file or something. I realize it would be hard to do something like that but it's still an alternative, the way they work now they will never stop the downloading completly unless some new international extreme law against it is passed.

Assertn
Wed, 11-23-2005, 05:48 PM
ITunes has something like that for mp3s....which is fine and all....$1 per song, while it seems like a good deal, still isn't noticeably cheaper than going to a store and buying an album worth of songs. The advantage is that you don't HAVE to buy an album worth of songs if you only want one or two.

Movies however, is a 1 to 1 relationship. You can't just buy a few chapters of a movie, you either have it or you don't. In other words, even if a movie can be legally purchased online, it's still gonna cost like $20.
And it may seem like an expensive way of having fun, but, unlike the record industry, every movie release is an investment of millions of dollars. And to have a small return on the investment makes it more expensive on their end as well. Everyone loses.

mage
Wed, 11-23-2005, 06:42 PM
i doubt bit torrent sites will ever die. at any rate, you guys shouldn't be crying over it because they stop you from STEALING.

PSJ
Wed, 11-23-2005, 06:45 PM
That's true, If they cut the funds on movies the movies will probably get worse in alot of aspects. Actors get alot of money for movies often but they will not give their money up for cheaper movies either. I guess this is why no one can find a good solution for this problem, there really isn't one.

The real reason i think it's expensive is because i get virtually no money at all, to me it seems as younger people, mainly students are having money problems with this, once you get a job your income increases however you have to pay for your own place eventually.... From someone that got experience, is it as big of a problem once you have a job as it is when you go to school and haven't gotten a part time job yet? Or is it just people being extremly cheap just because they can?

The Heretic Azazel
Wed, 11-23-2005, 06:48 PM
They're not gonna stop us from stealing shit, so get off your soapbox Mage.

And why shouldn't movie budgets be cut.. hell, give them the challenge of using a low budget to work with! As far as I'm concerned I can do without most of the grossly overpaid shit actors in Hollywood anyway, as well as the multimillions of dollars spent in big special effects that they intend to be bright and shiny enough to cover up their terrible storylines anyway.

Lefty
Wed, 11-23-2005, 07:01 PM
As a filmmaker my self I complealty agree wiht what the MPAA is doing. The studio's and actors make bank on movies but the poor shmuck thatas behind the camera can get screwed out of a alot of money due to piracy. I don't think Anime will take a big hit. It's kinda of we don't ask you don't tell reltionship. If it was going to get killed, it would have been killed by the ADV assualt that happened about a year ago.

Board of Command
Wed, 11-23-2005, 07:26 PM
Actors are overpaid anyways. They need to live the life of an average joe for once.

Assertn
Wed, 11-23-2005, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by: PSJ
That's true, If they cut the funds on movies the movies will probably get worse in alot of aspects. Actors get alot of money for movies often but they will not give their money up for cheaper movies either. I guess this is why no one can find a good solution for this problem, there really isn't one.

The real reason i think it's expensive is because i get virtually no money at all, to me it seems as younger people, mainly students are having money problems with this, once you get a job your income increases however you have to pay for your own place eventually.... From someone that got experience, is it as big of a problem once you have a job as it is when you go to school and haven't gotten a part time job yet? Or is it just people being extremly cheap just because they can?

that's actually a good question. I used to be super frugal for the longest time. Weighing expenses for even small things. Now that I work fulltime though, I have no problem impulse-spending $30 every few days or so.

mage
Wed, 11-23-2005, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by: The Heretic Azazel

i didnt say they were going to be able to stop us, but people shouldn't be crying about it when they try. downloading a dvd is the same as shoplifting it from a store.

Board of Command
Wed, 11-23-2005, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by: mage

i didnt say they were going to be able to stop us, but people shouldn't be crying about it when they try. downloading a dvd is the same as shoplifting it from a store.
Wrong. The only wrong doing is ripping and uploading a movie and distributing it over the web. Downloaders are only taking what's being given away for free.

Assertn
Wed, 11-23-2005, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by: BOARD_of_command

Originally posted by: mage

Wrong. The only wrong doing is ripping and uploading a movie and distributing it over the web. Downloaders are only taking what's being given away for free.

However, if a person who WOULD'VE bought a movie had they not the means to download it downloaded it, then its still wrong for them as well.

My justification is that most of the stuff i download i wouldn't buy anyway.

Carnage
Thu, 11-24-2005, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure

My justification is that most of the stuff i download i wouldn't buy anyway.

I agree. There are too many animes/movies/songs out there that the average person probably wouldnt be able to buy half the stuff he/she wanted

Assertn
Thu, 11-24-2005, 01:23 AM
huh? no i meant if i didn't have it for free, i wouldn't have it at all
as in, not want badly enough to buy